Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Serenity Dove posted:

Regarding KI, I found the controls for the flight sections perfect but the ground sections are what give me problems. They're not too bad but I'm finding on levels with lava, etc, I often find myself trying to dodge an enemy projectile and hurtling into a hot fiery bath instead. Perhaps that's just me but I find the ground controls lack finesse. It just seems clunky. Or maybe I'm poo poo at the game who knows. :v:
If you're unsure of your footing, use the invincibility frames of your dodge animation to dash forward, through the attack, rather than to the side.

Personally, the ground battles are the thing about Kid Icarus that really grabbed my attention. I guess they call these things "character action games" nowadays, but whatever you want to call them, KIU is probably one of the most finely crafted one of those. Up there with Bayonetta and Devil May Cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Handgun Harlot posted:

Controls are the thing that makes video games active entertainment; if you only have graphics and sound and maybe a story, that's called a movie. If the one thing you have to interface with a video game is the controls, how can you possibly pretend it's not there? Like morale, it's only a topic that comes up when you have the sneaking suspicion that it's poo poo. A good game has controls so intuitive you barely notice what you're doing. A bad game makes you think about the controls.

No, KI just has controls that makes you sissies cry out in anger because your pussy hands can't hold a system and a stylus. :colbert: I didn't think of poo poo when I played the game, the whole way through. It's a good game, period, quit being little bitches and take breaks if your hands really aren't that strong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Handgun Harlot posted:

Controls are the thing that makes video games active entertainment; if you only have graphics and sound and maybe a story, that's called a movie. If the one thing you have to interface with a video game is the controls, how can you possibly pretend it's not there? Like morale, it's only a topic that comes up when you have the sneaking suspicion that it's poo poo. A good game has controls so intuitive you barely notice what you're doing. A bad game makes you think about the controls.

Because the controls are not actually that bad, just a little problematic, and the rest of the gameplay is great. Controls != the entire game, and the controls are only really problematic on the ground sections.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Because the controls are not actually that bad, just a little problematic, and the rest of the gameplay is great. Controls != the entire game, and the controls are only really problematic on the ground sections.

Which is half the game.

The other half being the flying sections.

The controls are beyond poo poo, its one thing that makes me wish homebrewing was possible on the 3DS just so someone could come up with non retarded controls. Its astounding the amount of games Nintendo has released that would work better without some stupid touchscreen or in the case of the Wii, motion crap.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Some people like different things. No reason to fight about it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Now I don't know who to believe! :ohdear:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Kid Icarus is awesome and the controls aren't that bad once you get used to them. That stand that comes with the game helps a ton though I find. Still, I'm glad i picked it up when I got my 3ds considering it's getting me through the wait for fire emblem.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata Asks: Fire Emblem Awakening! (click)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
The controls in Kid Icarus Uprising take some getting used to but once you do they're fine unless you are a child or unfortunate enough to be left handed. The ground levels are super fast paced and on the higher difficulties you need to be pretty precise and make a lot of quick actions. The only alternate control setup that could have preserved the way the combat feels is keyboard+mouse and, well, it's not like the game was ever going to come out on PC. Like, a Wii Remote or a dual analog controller would have "worked" technically but the lack of precision and speed in those control methods would have made the game lose a lot of what makes it cool in the first place.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

The controls in Kid Icarus Uprising take some getting used to but once you do they're fine unless you are a child or unfortunate enough to be left handed. The ground levels are super fast paced and on the higher difficulties you need to be pretty precise and make a lot of quick actions. The only alternate control setup that could have preserved the way the combat feels is keyboard+mouse and, well, it's not like the game was ever going to come out on PC. Like, a Wii Remote or a dual analog controller would have "worked" technically but the lack of precision and speed in those control methods would have made the game lose a lot of what makes it cool in the first place.
I honestly wish there was a level like Ring of Chaos earlier in the game, because it wasn't really until that point that I got a firm understanding of the mechanics of the game and what exactly they were trying to accomplish. Of course, that might have lessened the impact of stripping away all of Pits ancillary bullshit and laying the game bare for the brawler that it really is.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Now I don't know who to believe! :ohdear:

Here is the test, pick up your 3ds and can you hold it with your left hand while also using the analogue control and the left bumper i believe...then with your right hand you are pretty much always using the stylus. I think there are other control options but this is how I played and it didn't bother me at all.

The game is pretty fantastic, the controls are pretty much the only complaint and even that is debatable. If you can play a 3ds that way without breaking your wrists then there's no reason not to own the game because it is one of the best for 3ds.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

Yep, Kid Icarus sounds amazing to me, I really want to play it, but I'm left handed :( I almost want to buy it just to see if I could manage...

Also, I have to get this off my chest, and this may just put me in a certain generation, but every time I see it abbreviated KI, I think "holy crap, they're releasing Killer Instinct for the 3ds?!" Am I weird?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Flumpus posted:

Yep, Kid Icarus sounds amazing to me, I really want to play it, but I'm left handed :( I almost want to buy it just to see if I could manage...

Yeah, I want to play it too, but everything I have ever heard is that it's awful for lefties. Supposedly you can use the face buttons as a poor man's analog stick, but that doesn't really sound like a great way to play the game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It does have Circle Pad Pro support specifically for lefties, if you want to go that route.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Since atlus has no EU publisher and we'll never get those games..how's Harvest Moon?

Actually, they do. Ghostlight are the ones that publish Atlus games in Europe and (once in a blue moon,) Australia. They just don't publish enough of Atlus' games :argh:.

homeless snail posted:

It does have Circle Pad Pro support specifically for lefties, if you want to go that route.

I still don't understand how they could've incorporated the Circle Pad Pro and not made a dual-stick control option :psyduck:. Game's fun as hell, just a strange design choice.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

As a leftie, I didn't have too much trouble with it. I didn't find the higher difficulties much fun, but that might just be me being bad at the game.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm a lefty although fairly ambidextrous and I beat the whole game on the hardest difficulty. It was a lot of fun.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I still don't understand how they could've incorporated the Circle Pad Pro and not made a dual-stick control option :psyduck:. Game's fun as hell, just a strange design choice.

I think by the time the Circle Pad Pro came out, the game was too far in development to be able to use the CPP effectively.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

Yeah, I want to play it too, but everything I have ever heard is that it's awful for lefties. Supposedly you can use the face buttons as a poor man's analog stick, but that doesn't really sound like a great way to play the game.

Game is completely playable left handed. It's a little uncomfortable and a little harder, but it's not Dillon's Rolling Western with its Right Hand controls or gently caress off business.

Circle Pad for right handed people can be switched out for the Direction Pad for left handed people. It's a little more awkward, and a little more painful than the default, but pretty much all the levels besides the final boss can be beaten by at an intensity of at least 5, if not higher if you are half decent at the game.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think by the time the Circle Pad Pro came out, the game was too far in development to be able to use the CPP effectively.

Imagine if they had supported the CPP better, but didn't have inverse axis controls as an option! As much as the controls turned me off, I still put like 40 hours into Kid Icarus and it gives me hope that they will take some feedback to heart when making a sequel.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PonchAxis posted:

Did you play through the whole thing?

I remember reading about the "second half" of Super Mario 3D Land and hoping it would get hard but it hasn't so far; I'm on S-3 and it's still easy as poo poo. The thing it DOES do is get really interesting in the level design. The S-worlds are a lot more engaging than the first 8 levels. Not hard, but really entertaining and actually fun. It's just a shame half of the game is pretty loving dull compared to latter half. I really wish if there's a sequel that it'll keep up with that.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

For those who are weaklings and can not handle holding your 3ds while playing KI, the game comes with a stand built specifically for that concern.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Sire Oblivion posted:

I remember reading about the "second half" of Super Mario 3D Land and hoping it would get hard but it hasn't so far; I'm on S-3 and it's still easy as poo poo. The thing it DOES do is get really interesting in the level design. The S-worlds are a lot more engaging than the first 8 levels. Not hard, but really entertaining and actually fun. It's just a shame half of the game is pretty loving dull compared to latter half. I really wish if there's a sequel that it'll keep up with that.

After hearing people hype up the second world so much, I was really disappointed that the second world is almost all barely-remixed versions of the original levels with gimmicks like super-speed, cosmic clones, and timed runs that were already present in the Galaxy series. The first half of the game was so small already, and they recycle it? Bleh.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Francis posted:

After hearing people hype up the second world so much, I was really disappointed that the second world is almost all barely-remixed versions of the original levels with gimmicks like super-speed, cosmic clones, and timed runs that were already present in the Galaxy series. The first half of the game was so small already, and they recycle it? Bleh.

It was New Game+, it was awesome because it was more difficult. For what you get from regular handheld titles, there was a ton of content in 3D Land. Plus, it's not unprecedented; SMG had about the same amount of levels and then had you go through everything as Luigi. Then SMG2 got waaaaay better. Let's hope the same thing could happen here?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
idiot posts in wrong thread

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Does anyone know if you can get the 3DS eShop Prepaid cards at Gamestop? I'm assuming they sell them but I didn't see them on the website.

Basically, I have a bunch of Gamestop credit and I want to get FE: Awakening when it comes out but I suspect I'm only going to be able to find a digital copy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Flame112 posted:

Does anyone know if you can get the 3DS eShop Prepaid cards at Gamestop? I'm assuming they sell them but I didn't see them on the website.

Basically, I have a bunch of Gamestop credit and I want to get FE: Awakening when it comes out but I suspect I'm only going to be able to find a digital copy.

They have them in Canada so I'm sure they do in the US.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stravinsky posted:

For those who are weaklings and can not handle holding your 3ds while playing KI, the game comes with a stand built specifically for that concern.

This old chestnut.

The stand is crap to and its basically the exclamation point on the horrible controls, Nintendo knew they where rear end but rather than re-designed them they just packed a cheap plastic stand.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Flame112 posted:

Yeah, I got a couple of eShop cards from there already so your local gamestop should have one as well. Nintendo's just weird about not having those on any online store.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So I finally started 999 and (ending spoilers) what did I do wrong to get everyone murdered?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Len posted:

So I finally started 999 and (ending spoilers) what did I do wrong to get everyone murdered?

Doors are important. That's all you need to know. (Also, one ending is locked until you get another ending.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SystemLogoff posted:

Doors are important. That's all you need to know. (Also, one ending is locked until you get another ending.)

But everything was going so good :( And then there was a knife in my back

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Len posted:

So start playing again and pick new doors and different options. That's the point.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I just remembered that Luigi's Mansion 2 comes out next month. It's gonna be a terrible, terrible wait for that :ohdear: I don't care what anyone says I love the poo poo out of the first one still to this day

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I just remembered that Luigi's Mansion 2 comes out next month. It's gonna be a terrible, terrible wait for that :ohdear: I don't care what anyone says I love the poo poo out of the first one still to this day

You and me both! :hfive: I kinda hope they make it into one of the subseries of the Mario franchise, like the Wario series or Yoshi series.

It will never happen, will it? :negative:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Ghostlight just closed their "Amazing" January competition, and the winner was someone who "realistically" wished for Shin Megami Tensei IV. So unless there's a new unannounced Shadow Hearts in development (the winner's secret wish), there's a slight possibility of another SMT game for Europe.

Big Moose
Dec 6, 2012

t('.'t)

Pixeltendo posted:

Kid icarus uprising is so good, that I wish all the characters in it were playable in the next Smash bros. title. :allears:

Loved the game play. But all the talking led me to shutting my volume off for most of the game.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Finally, still need my Animal Crossing though.

Big Moose fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 2, 2013

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Len posted:

It's nice because on the subsequent playthroughs, you can hold the Right button on the D-Pad to fast-forward through text you've already seen. It's a sanity saver.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I need some clarification on the whole eshop system. Purchasing a game through it locks that copy down to the handheld regardless of which Nintendo account is signed on to it, right? If I were to sell my 3DS in the future, would the new owner have access to those games as well even if I did a factory reset? I'm wondering how Nintendo's awful handling of digital downloads affects its resale value, since I can't take the games with me if I were to upgrade to a new handheld further down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
You can do a system transfer if/when you sell it. You'll need them to both be physically present, but it transfers all licenses and friend codes and all the other stuff to your new system, effectively wiping the old one to factory defaults, I believe. So you can retain your games as long as you're immediately moving them to a new system. If you sell it and then buy a new one later, yes, they're gone. Yes, it's stupid.

• Locked thread