Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Would be kinda cool if Harry's headaches turned out to be Lash and Nemesis duking it out for space in Harry's brain. Not sure why I spoilered that, except the last couple people did, so... v:)v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Here's my problem with the Parasite being Nemesis. In Ghost Story, the Parasite helps to keep Harry "alive." I really don't think that Nemesis would take an active part in helping keep one of it's biggest threats around to hinder it's plans. Now, it is possible that it's playing some kind of convoluted, contradictory, long game, but I don't think Butcher is that kind of writer.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I thought the Parasite in Changes was the one who convinced him to kill himself, though? I can't remember though, what did it do in Ghost Story?

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Saith posted:

I thought the Parasite in Changes was the one who convinced him to kill himself, though? I can't remember though, what did it do in Ghost Story?

No, that was one of the fallen. It was the whole setup for Uriel being able to intervene at the end of Ghost Story.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Saith posted:

Probably doesn't need spoiling, but what the hell.

There's no indication that the fallen angel who encouraged Harry to kill himself in Changes was anything to do with the Parasite. (There is, of course, no indication that it wasn't, either.)

All we know for certain about the Parasite is that (a) it's the cause of the mysterious headaches Harry's been having for a few books (and based on that alone, and the timing, it makes a hell of a lot of sense that it's whatever remains of Lash), (b) it kept Harry's heart beating while he was mostly dead throughout Ghost Story, cutting a deal for secrecy with Demonreach in the process, and (c) Demonreach thinks it's going to explode out of his head and kill him at some point.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

docbeard posted:

(b) it kept Harry's heart beating while he was mostly dead throughout Ghost Story, cutting a deal for secrecy with Demonreach in the process,

I thought the parasite threatened to kill Harry, which was why Demonreach and Mab made a deal with it and the comments about the parasite exploding out of his head may not have been intended to be interpreted as happening in the literal sense.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

TimNeilson posted:

No, that was one of the fallen. It was the whole setup for Uriel being able to intervene at the end of Ghost Story.

Actually, I'm re-reading Ghost Story now and I noticed something.

Ghost Story page 10 posted:

"Um. Hell, you mean? Like...actual Fallen angels?"

"Not exactly. But if you want to think of it that way, it works. Sort of. What you need to know is that they're the bad guys."

"That's why I'm here," I said. "Because they...broke some sort of cosmic rule?"

"You were getting in their way. They wanted you gone. They broke the law to make it happen. That makes you my problem."

Two things.

One, either we're misunderstanding something about what the Denarians are or Murphy Sr is implying that it wasn't them who did it. And two, Harry wasn't doing much of anything to get in the way of the Denarians when he died. He had if anything just gotten finished removing a group Nicodemus had expressed the desire to be rid of.

Of course, he's also been known to distort the truth, but it does imply that there's more to this than people are assuming.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
If Nemesis has infect Thirned Namshiel, couldn't it have infected the actual Fallen, too? For that matter, do we know how it spreads?

e:There are a lot of similarities between Maeve and Lucifer. I mean, both suddenly gained a craving for freedom and began acting differently than intended. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Lucifer's fall was due to Nemesis.

Saith fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 1, 2013

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Alcholism Rocks posted:

I thought the parasite threatened to kill Harry, which was why Demonreach and Mab made a deal with it and the comments about the parasite exploding out of his head may not have been intended to be interpreted as happening in the literal sense.
i'm guessing that Mab and Demonreach noticed the parasite in the course of tending to Harry's body, and it threatened to kill Harry if any attempt to remove it was made.

Saith posted:

If Nemesis has infect Thirned Namshiel, couldn't it have infected the actual Fallen, too? For that matter, do we know how it spreads?

e:There are a lot of similarities between Maeve and Lucifer. I mean, both suddenly gained a craving for freedom and began acting differently than intended. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Lucifer's fall was due to Nemesis.
I don't think that Lucifer would have any domain over the Outer Gates, making him a pretty low value target. so far Nemesis has gone for targets that would be able to upset the balance of power in Faerie(Aurora, Maeve).

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Am I the only one who think that having Nemesis being behind EVERYTHING is kinda easy? It could just be I enjoy the thought of several, conflicting bad guys, instead of a single group of baddies.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The thing about Nemesis, at least as it seems to me, is that the people infected by it don't necessarily know it. It's causing trouble, but I don't think it's actually coordinating itself yet. I think that the conspiracy in Cold Days was Maeve's ability for machinations being used by her personal infection, not so much an organized attempt by Nemesis in the large scheme.

I'm an idiot at this sort of thing though so feel free to laugh when I'm proven wrong in a couple years v:shobon:v

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Isn't it's defining trait being coordination in goals between all it's agents?

There are other kinds of evil going on to be sure, but we have a cross factional conspiracy here.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Iacen posted:

Am I the only one who think that having Nemesis being behind EVERYTHING is kinda easy? It could just be I enjoy the thought of several, conflicting bad guys, instead of a single group of baddies.

EVERYTHING is a Nemesis plot.

I really, really hope he's not throwing away the series for the sake of that joke. Not that I think he is.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 3, 2013

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Iacen posted:

Nope. As soon as we learned about Nemesis, I started worrying about this.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 3, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
e: f,b

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 2, 2013

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Pretty sure we're still spoilering info from cold days...

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

I think I might have a very loose idea about what the next book is going to be about. In Small Favor, one of the other coins is missing, Dresden confronts Marcone about it and he says he doesn't have it. He could have been lying and the heist is breaking into Marcone's strongest security vault to get the other coin back.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Thunderfinger posted:

I think I might have a very loose idea about what the next book is going to be about. In Small Favor, one of the other coins is missing, Dresden confronts Marcone about it and he says he doesn't have it. He could have been lying and the heist is breaking into Marcone's strongest security vault to get the other coin back.
Some tease spoilers from Butcher quoted a couple of pages ago contradict that. But even without that:
Either Marcone knows what the coins are and is intelligent enough to stay the hell away from the things. Or Marcone didn't know and touched one in his ignorance. If he did then he is a nicklehead and can call the coin to him from anywhere, making stealing it pointless.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 3, 2013

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MasterFugu posted:

That's cool, but there are like four or five posts above mine that don't spoiler anything.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

MasterFugu posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the people who are posting and or paying attention to the thread have read the book. If I'm incorrect in this assumption feel free to beat me with your wizard staff.

Edit: Wizard staff sounds a lot like a penis in that context... Oh well.
Edit: I am a moron and I hate autocorrect.

why oh WHY fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 3, 2013

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Michael wouldn't care about Harry being the Winter Knight as long as he knew what it entailed. If Harry complained to him about having violent urges and thinking about sex constantly he'd just laugh and say he was glad that Harry hadn't changed since he last saw him.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pwnstar posted:

Michael wouldn't care about Harry being the Winter Knight as long as he knew what it entailed. If Harry complained to him about having violent urges and thinking about sex constantly he'd just laugh and say he was glad that Harry hadn't changed since he last saw him.

Was it ever explained who Molly's father was?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I don't think it has ever been hinted to be anyone but Michael.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dietrich posted:

I don't think it has ever been hinted to be anyone but Michael.

I don't think somebody that would post a Mab-Molly-Dresden threesome slashfic in this thread paid very much attention to the actual book he read.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Wait. What?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Alcholism Rocks posted:

Was it ever explained who Molly's father was?
Why would Molly's father not be Michael? Magic is passed down through the mother and Charity used to be a practitioner.

edit: I wonder if it's "magic is passed down solely through the mother" or "magic is passed down predominately through the mother."

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Cicero posted:

Why would Molly's father not be Michael? Magic is passed down through the mother and Charity used to be a practitioner.

Probably always intended to be, but Butcher could easily wring some drama out of her being the dragon's kid. It would be dumb as all hell, but he does sometimes go for the easy conflict option.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I think you guys are reading way too much into what was intended to be a subtle burn.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Danhenge posted:

I think you guys are reading way too much into what was intended to be a subtle burn.

Yeah, but Butcher likes to gently caress with your expectations.

Molly being the dragon's kid is dumb, but it's not impossible that it'll end up written that way. I'm still expecting some reveal about Harry's parentage.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AlphaDog posted:

I'm still expecting some reveal about Harry's parentage.

I think there was a pretty huge reveal about Harry's mom in one book.

For some reason I can't remember anything about Harry's dad. He was probably just a boring old human.

Alcholism Rocks fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 4, 2013

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Alcholism Rocks posted:

For some reason I can't remember anything about Harry's dad. He was probably just a boring old human.

Well, he did come back as a ghost (or a spirit, I guess?) in Dead Beat after "someone else opened the door" or something like that. He even brought a Snickers bar!

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

The Walker posted:

Wait. What?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=411372279&forumid=182

Literally one of his first posts in the thread saved only because Wade quoted it for posterity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

I'm still expecting some reveal about Harry's parentage.

... You mean besides the fact that his mother was a infamous magician who slept with a vampire lord, sired his half-brother, and was the daughter of The Blackstaff? Because that's a pretty big batch of reveals already.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

... You mean besides the fact that his mother was a infamous magician who slept with a vampire lord, sired his half-brother, and was the daughter of The Blackstaff? Because that's a pretty big batch of reveals already.
There are some loose questions dangling here and there.
Chauncy implied in Fool Moon that Malcolm was murdered. That could be a lie offcourse, but most of the intelligent evil in the Dresden'verse seems to be of the "Why lie, when the truth serves my purpose just as well"-variety.
And what was the scheme that Margaret was planning with the white & red courts? Also there the question of what Margaret did for Lea that would make the latter promise to take care of Harry (in her own special way).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't know if there was anything unusual about Malcolm Dresden when he was alive, but I have a feeling that I can't quite shake that his spirit is now working for Uriel in much the same way that Murphy's dad's spirit is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ImpAtom posted:

The biggest question I have about Harry's mother is how exactly she got her death curse to "stick" when Lord Raith seems to be otherwise immune to magic.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The biggest question I have about Harry's mother is how exactly she got her death curse to "stick" when Lord Raith seems to be otherwise immune to magic.

I always thought that she was just incredibly powerful and that a death curse was a special circumstance so it was able to bypass his "immunity".

Deadbeat
Apr 8, 2003

docbeard posted:

I don't know if there was anything unusual about Malcolm Dresden when he was alive, but I have a feeling that I can't quite shake that his spirit is now working for Uriel in much the same way that Murphy's dad's spirit is.

I think it's implied from the way he appeared to Harry in that dream in dead beat that he is more than vanilla mortal, right? It's been a while

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Deadbeat posted:

I think it's implied from the way he appeared to Harry in that dream in dead beat that he is more than vanilla mortal, right? It's been a while
If by "more then vanilla mortal" you mean dead, then sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Deadbeat posted:

He did say he was only allowed to appear to Harry because something had changed, with the implication being that Lasciel's shadow awakening within him was the impetus for that change.

Which suggests he's either an angel (which I doubt) or is working for them.

I thought for a while that he might have been a former Knight of the Cross in life, but I'm quite sure that "Hey, I used to know your dad" would have come up in conversation with Michael at some point.

• Locked thread