Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Decoy says hi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Mabel is all like 'meow'

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

This is my girl Pearl:

She's spent pretty much her entire life at the shelter where I help out. She came in as a kitten five years ago with her brothers and sisters. The rest of her family was quickly adopted, but Pearl was a shy little wallflower who would hide whenever anyone came around. The other cats saw she was an easy mark and pretty much pushed her around, which didn't help her confidence. The staff tried their best to get her to trust people, but nothing worked until for some reason she suddenly decided that I was okay.

The shelter staff worked on me for quite a while to get me to take her home, but I already have two cats...I wasn't sure how they'd handle the newcomer, and three was always what I considered the transition point from pet owner to crazy catperson. Well, they finally wore me down. Fortunately, Max and Jaka are good-tempered laid-back cats, so they haven't given her much trouble. Although they have been a bad influence:

She seems pretty happy here; she's still a little timid, but she's got her safe zone under the dining room table whenever the action gets to be too much.

Bonus alien cat:

dejablues
Jan 14, 2005

mrowwowWOW!
Malaika, aka Makie. She is my pretty pretty princess:

Ellie, aka Ting:

Black cats are the best, so mysterious and stylish!

dejablues fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 28, 2012

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I just found this on Imgur:

William Shatner
May 11, 2005

Is today the day we will leave Ridgeview?
This is Jeffrey dressed up for his Christmas photos.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
^^^^^^^^^^^
I swear I used to work for a guy who looked like that.

Mabel Mischief has been immortalized in this polydactyl painting.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
This has become the most common pose for my girl, Abby. I'm turning her into a goon kitty.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Dammit Mini

Stop sitting on things that you aren't supposed to sit on.

You're going to get in trouble one day

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
This is Johnny, full name Johnny Walker. (He has a black label.)

He's round.

Really round.

He'll just spend all day sitting in my boyfriend's lap purring his silly little head off and, I swear, gazing into his eyes. He doesn't do much else. More couch than cat.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 6, 2013

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Just put in an application to adopt this little dude, her brother was already adopted so he's out of the running unfortunately. Hopefully I can post further in this thread once she is making a ruckus in my apartment!

e; Just got a call from the lovely woman I'm adopting from and I got her! So excited, I'm going out to buy supplies tomorrow and am picking her up on Wednesday -- pictures to follow :)

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 15, 2013

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

The March Hare posted:

Just put in an application to adopt this little dude, her brother was already adopted so he's out of the running unfortunately. Hopefully I can post further in this thread once she is making a ruckus in my apartment!

e; Just got a call from the lovely woman I'm adopting from and I got her! So excited, I'm going out to buy supplies tomorrow and am picking her up on Wednesday -- pictures to follow :)

Congrats! What a lovely little girl. Gotta love that hammock chill face.

Callietron
Jan 11, 2011
I have a black-and-white "spotted cow" kitty. Not quite the tuxedo cat since he forgot his socks.
Name is Mooshi, a combo of Moo + Sushi, since he's both a cow and a roll of sushi.

He has an "onigiri" butt.

Chills at the sink.

Training to be a ninja.

After a hard day of work:

Callietron fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 18, 2013

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Black cats are the best. My little Prospero was found behind my house by the garbage. Barely old enough to leave his mama he comes running right up to me, meowing all the way. I was instantly in love and he is, hands down, the best cat I have ever had. He's sweet and cuddly and super affectionate and very brave which I LOVE. He's my sweet baby. Almost lost him last month due to a urinary blockage, I am so happy he is still with us!

He loves his harness and I take him for little walks around my front porch occasionally.

pandora88
Jan 21, 2013

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Candy Dawn posted:

Black cats are the best. My little Prospero was found behind my house by the garbage. Barely old enough to leave his mama he comes running right up to me, meowing all the way. I was instantly in love and he is, hands down, the best cat I have ever had. He's sweet and cuddly and super affectionate and very brave which I LOVE. He's my sweet baby. Almost lost him last month due to a urinary blockage, I am so happy he is still with us!

He loves his harness and I take him for little walks around my front porch occasionally.

The relationship that you have with a cat that has chosen you rather than the other way around is incredibly difficult to explain to someone who has never experienced it. It is such an intense bond, one that feels less like a pet/master relationship and more like a true friendship or parent/child relationship. I'm sure that sounds ridiculously stupid to many people, but everyone I've ever met who has been in the situation seems to agree. It sounds as if Prospero choose you, so I'm wondering if you feel similarly?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Found this on Imgur, captioned "When he senses a camera pointed at him, the fangs come out."

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

superkittenhugs posted:

The relationship that you have with a cat that has chosen you rather than the other way around is incredibly difficult to explain to someone who has never experienced it. It is such an intense bond, one that feels less like a pet/master relationship and more like a true friendship or parent/child relationship. I'm sure that sounds ridiculously stupid to many people, but everyone I've ever met who has been in the situation seems to agree. It sounds as if Prospero choose you, so I'm wondering if you feel similarly?

Oh absolutely. Our relationship is so different from any other pet I've adopted myself. You're right, it's hard to explain.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I may have told this story before, but when I got Prince at the shelter, I had been checking out this huge, beautiful little man of a Maine Coon, when this black paw appeared between the bars of the adjacent cage, slowly extended the claws, ever so slightly dug into the back of my hand and dragged it over to the cage, where Prince was just looking out at me like "Heh, yeah, you look like a sucker. Take me home, will ya? The food here sucks!" I opened up the cage door and he pretty much exploded into my arms and started purring.

It was the eptiome of :kiddo: and I love my huge black crazy cat.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Talbot was a feral, and when he was recovered from a year or so on the streets he had a taurine deficiency so his eyesight is awful, and horrible skin mites which caused him to lose all his fur for about six months. When he was finally healed up, he was shy and hid in the back of the adoption cages for a year until I met him.

I was looking for an 'unadoptable cat', one that people weren't interested in but needed a good home,and he went home with me :3:

He is the sweetest, most affectionate kitty I've ever had and I love him to bits.

(his mug shot is earlier in the thread)

RareBrit
Jul 25, 2008
I've had Salem from a new born kitten. She was the first of the litter, and a total runt. The mother cat had hidden away behind some shelves, and Salem was pushed to one side, and was terribly cold. I struggled for hours to get her to feed, but eventually she latched on and the rest is history. She's still not a big cat, but has developed a real attitude. I've known few other cats that will swear like her, but she's also very affectionate and curls up on my lap most evenings.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010
I just wanted to clarify that I didn't mean to imply that all other pet/owner relationships are somehow less special than one in which the pet chooses you. Every kitty loves their owner as long as they are loved in return. Especially black cats, cause they are amazing!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Meyer didn't exactly choose us, but he did announce he was ready to go home. Another cat in the same shelter colony room had just been adopted, and while they were rounding him up, Meyer jumped into the open box/carrier and looked up expectantly. We'd been in total choice-paralysis mode ("man, all these cats are cute, but which one is the best?"), and we decided that, if Meyer wanted to go home so badly, we'd take him. No regrets.

... Well, a couple of regrets, but that comes with owning an rear end in a top hat cat. He's still the best rear end in a top hat cat, though.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Mid-morning sun? Don't mind if I do...

She's been on Science Plan S/D for urinary crystals, it's made her put on a bunch of weight, but works brilliantly.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

superkittenhugs posted:

I know this wasn't directed at me...but THIS. A hundred times this. I love my black cat and dog that I adopted from the shelter. But Elmer, my orange cat, who chose me by jumping on my back when I was bending down to pick up another cat, he means the world to me. If I'm at the computer, he's on the back of my chair. If I'm in bed, he's forcing me to share my pillow, If I take a shower, he's in the bathroom with me, having a conversation with me. It astounds me how I lived without him before and terrifies me that I'll someday be without him. I have two (human) children who always joke that Elmer is my 3rd (favored) child who actually listens to me. I always scoffed at "crazy cat ladies" who were so deeply involved with their cats and then I met this furry little shithead. I now understand and revel in my cat-insanity. :3:

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Absolute Evil posted:

I know this wasn't directed at me...but THIS. A hundred times this. I love my black cat and dog that I adopted from the shelter. But Elmer, my orange cat, who chose me by jumping on my back when I was bending down to pick up another cat, he means the world to me. If I'm at the computer, he's on the back of my chair. If I'm in bed, he's forcing me to share my pillow, If I take a shower, he's in the bathroom with me, having a conversation with me. It astounds me how I lived without him before and terrifies me that I'll someday be without him. I have two (human) children who always joke that Elmer is my 3rd (favored) child who actually listens to me. I always scoffed at "crazy cat ladies" who were so deeply involved with their cats and then I met this furry little shithead. I now understand and revel in my cat-insanity. :3:

I think you snuck into my house, monitored my relationship with Cac-Kac, and then co-opted our story as your own. Seriously though, like I said previously, all pet relationships are awesome, but for me, I've never felt anything like this with any other animal. It almost seems like when they choose you, they become sort of obsessed with you. If I leave the house, Cac sits at the door waiting for me to return. If she isn't laying on or next to me (which she is around 95% of the time), then she's staring at me from wherever she's sitting. I'm gonna take a nap? Well, move over lady cause there is zero chance that you aren't going to be sharing the bed/pillow with a black ball of fluff. There is no escaping her affection, but that's fine because I'm just as obsessed with her as she is with me.

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!
Arthur didn't really come to me when me and my fiance went to pick him up, unlike others in this thread.

He was a stray and I suspect he was abused because even now he is scared of me a little. When we were looking on the internet for the RSPCA website, we came across one in our region and saw Arthur was pet of the month (basically a cat that had been there for ages and they couldn't shift him for love nor money). Well Arthur was the name of my late grandfather who died just before that time, and so it seemed like a good fit. We decided that he was the cat for us.

We went to the shelter and the dog exercise area was right next to the cat pods where Arthur was being kept. It was so noisy for me to be in there, let alone a poor little cat who was skittish and scared of everything. We walked to his pod and I tapped my nails on his window. He came to the front and quickly went and jumped to the outside bit. We wanted him, he didn't choose us, but we were confident that me and my missus could give him a safe, forever home. Besides, how could we let that skinny and scared cat stay at the shelter with all that noise, when we could offer him a good home? Couple that point with the fact that black cats aren't adopted because of their "undesirable" colour. We got him a few weeks later (couldn't take him instantly) and within minutes of getting home he was eating treats out of our hands. Not bad for a cat that the shelter warned us would take up to two weeks to trust us and approach us.

But anyway, I have gone off topic slightly. The point I was trying to make is that sometimes the cat doesn't have to pick you, you just have to prove to the cat you are there for them. Arthur was really scratchy and bity when we first got him, a couple of stroke led to being bitten. He wouldn't hiss, he wouldn't show frustration or that he was overstimulated, he would just bite. He would flick his tail all the time, so you wouldn't be able to tell if he was getting pissed off or not.

All this came to a stop when Arthur had a cold. He went off his food, lay on the floor for all of his waking hours, wouldn't drink. I was worried it was cat flu. But I looked after him, I dripped water from my fingers into his mouth, I heated up his cat food (this means I truly love him as it was the most vile smell) and gave him plenty of cuddles.

I genuinely think he realised that I was here to look after him and keep him safe, as since then he comes and cuddles me and the affection levels have risen ten fold.

He was a changed cat after he got better, the biting has stopped (all but a few times) and he seems so much happier and trusting.

Like I said, the cat doesn't have to choose you for you to have an amazing bond with it. Arthur is my pal and kept me sane living on my own before my fiance relocated permanently from London.

TL;DR - Arthur walked away from me on our first meeting, ended up loving me anyway.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Blinks posted:

We went to the shelter and the dog exercise area was right next to the cat pods where Arthur was being kept. It was so noisy for me to be in there, let alone a poor little cat who was skittish and scared of everything. We walked to his pod and I tapped my nails on his window. He came to the front and quickly went and jumped to the outside bit. We wanted him, he didn't choose us, but we were confident that me and my missus could give him a safe, forever home. Besides, how could we let that skinny and scared cat stay at the shelter with all that noise, when we could offer him a good home? Couple that point with the fact that black cats aren't adopted because of their "undesirable" colour. We got him a few weeks later (couldn't take him instantly) and within minutes of getting home he was eating treats out of our hands. Not bad for a cat that the shelter warned us would take up to two weeks to trust us and approach us.

Hey, adopted-the-unadoptable-cat buddy! This is technically off-topic for the thread since the cat in question isn't black (and we don't have a white-and-brown-tabby bicolor thread), but Arthur sounds a bit like Luke. When we met him, he was hiding in a little cat-tree house (but accepting petting and purring madly), and the shelter had him flagged for special counseling because he was so secretive and hiding-prone. They told us that his previous owners had brought him back because he hid so much that "they didn't feel like they even had a cat." (I later learned from his records that this happened three years after they got him, so either there was more to the story or Luke was a really good hider.) He warmed up to us more slowly than it sounds like Arthur did, and he's still skittish enough about loud noises or sudden movements that I wonder if there was some history of abuse there, but these days he hides rarely and will definitely seek us out for affection. I think we all got lucky -- Luke got the home he needed, and we got an amazing cat.

Blinks
May 9, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

Hey, adopted-the-unadoptable-cat buddy! This is technically off-topic for the thread since the cat in question isn't black (and we don't have a white-and-brown-tabby bicolor thread), but Arthur sounds a bit like Luke. When we met him, he was hiding in a little cat-tree house (but accepting petting and purring madly), and the shelter had him flagged for special counseling because he was so secretive and hiding-prone. They told us that his previous owners had brought him back because he hid so much that "they didn't feel like they even had a cat." (I later learned from his records that this happened three years after they got him, so either there was more to the story or Luke was a really good hider.) He warmed up to us more slowly than it sounds like Arthur did, and he's still skittish enough about loud noises or sudden movements that I wonder if there was some history of abuse there, but these days he hides rarely and will definitely seek us out for affection. I think we all got lucky -- Luke got the home he needed, and we got an amazing cat.

They do sound pretty similar, especially being skittish and the sudden movement. I just think it's so nice that a cat that was so scared and untrusting can come out of his shell and be a part of a family.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Blinks posted:

Like I said, the cat doesn't have to choose you for you to have an amazing bond with it. Arthur is my pal and kept me sane living on my own before my fiance relocated permanently from London.

TL;DR - Arthur walked away from me on our first meeting, ended up loving me anyway.

It's awesome that you saw that a kitty needed a home, and even though he wasn't instantly super warmed up to you, you took him on home with you. You did what was best for him rather than thinking only of your self, and that is incredibly heart warming. I had already decided that when Cac passes on (which will happen never because NO), I would absolutely be adopting an adult shelter cat, but your story has made it all the more certain. Thanks for being such a good person.

Blinks
May 9, 2004

superkittenhugs posted:

It's awesome that you saw that a kitty needed a home, and even though he wasn't instantly super warmed up to you, you took him on home with you. You did what was best for him rather than thinking only of your self, and that is incredibly heart warming. I had already decided that when Cac passes on (which will happen never because NO), I would absolutely be adopting an adult shelter cat, but your story has made it all the more certain. Thanks for being such a good person.

Well, I wouldn't say I was a good person for doing this. Thank you for the kind words though. The way I see it is that it's just a mindset that me and my missus had, and we had pretty much decided that we were having him before meeting him (which could be construed as being pretty irresponsible). As it happens the situation has turned out golden but we could have had a nightmare cat on our hands! I should post more photo's of my pal...

This is how he comes and hangs out from time to time. Makes me feel all :yaycloud: He did this a lot when I had food poisoning for 12 days. I like to think he was paying me back for looking after him.

Exploring the snow.

New hat or lampshade?

Pretty sure that is not the best place to snooze...

Nature programmes are Arthurs favourite thing on TV.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Blinks posted:

New hat or lampshade?

This is awesome.

Thank you all for posting black cats.

Here is a vine of my twin pets.
http://vine.co/v/b1nF0pWPmAd

Blinks
May 9, 2004

kuskus posted:

Here is a vine of my twin pets.
http://vine.co/v/b1nF0pWPmAd

Your video is pretty slick, I'm going to give it a go.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Your Feet are pretty much the epitome of places for a cat to snooze... I am not sure why.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Here's Jet the cat breaking into the art supplies:

and here he is being very fashionable:

Bastard nearly kills me every time I put that on him. it's really funny to see him waddle backward though like he doesn't know how to walk when he first gets it on, before flailing to get it off (and being an rear end in a top hat the rest of the night unless you give him treats)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

My big dude playing Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Seriously considering adopting a black cat. I met a young-ish black male named Shopper who seemed new to the shelter, and was a little freaked out - but he also was fairly cool with being petted and as far as the volunteers knew he was fine with being picked up when he's calm. There was another younger female named Spooky there, but she was hiding in the shadows behind the cat tree. True to her name :unsmith:

I've heard black cats are generally really chill and affectionate, is this true?

FretforyourLatte posted:

My daughter loves that movie (It's "How to Train Your Dragon", btw) because the dragon reminds her so much of Spooky. She calls it The Spooky Dragon Movie.

Woah wait what.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 17, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Pollyanna posted:

Seriously considering adopting a black cat. I met a young-ish black male named Shopper who seemed new to the shelter, and was a little freaked out - but he also was fairly cool with being petted and as far as the volunteers knew he was fine with being picked up when he's calm. There was another younger female named Spooky there, but she was hiding in the shadows behind the cat tree. True to her name :unsmith:

I've heard black cats are generally really chill and affectionate, is this true?

Woah wait what.

Mine is super affectionate to the point of running to the door when I get home to tell me (i.e. squeak like a berserk bird) about his day and want to be petted. He sticks close to me for a couple of hours until he's sure I'm not going to leave again before he'll go back to napping.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010
It is absolutely a fantastic idea to adopt a black cat. I think its been mentioned in this thread before, but black cats are something like 50% less likely to be adopted than their lighter colored feline brethren (except around Halloween because "Oh my gawd! A black cat at Halloween is suchhhh a cute and original idea!!!"). Thankfully, many adoption shelters don't offer black cats up for adoption during a two week period before Halloween for this very reason.

But yeah. Black cats are just like every other cat. They all have their own distinct personality and affection level. However, I will say that every black cat I have ever interacted with has been especially warm and loving. If you want to give a black cat a good home, I suggest just going around to your local shelters and spending time with a few of them. I'm certain that at least one of them will be a good fit for you. If not, there are plenty of other, less black kitties that need loving homes as well. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
We needed more color in our life.

Ford:

Arthur: