Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I skipped through two older Raw episodes last night, and I just had a few questions:

1. When did Raw make the transition from starting the show with wrestling to starting it with a 20-minute promo? Or did I just watch abnormal Raw from '97?
2. How long did the WWE/AAA partnership last for? It was really weird to see a six-man tag match with AAA wrestlers, but I seem to vaguely remember this happening for a while. I guess this question can also extend to the midget wrestling. I forgot about Mini-Vader, and it was the funniest goddamn thing when I saw it again.
3. What the hell was going on with the "Edge is a ladies man but is also marrying Ryan Shamrock" storyline? I had no memory of this ever happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Twin Cinema posted:

I skipped through two older Raw episodes last night, and I just had a few questions:

1. When did Raw make the transition from starting the show with wrestling to starting it with a 20-minute promo? Or did I just watch abnormal Raw from '97?
2. How long did the WWE/AAA partnership last for? It was really weird to see a six-man tag match with AAA wrestlers, but I seem to vaguely remember this happening for a while. I guess this question can also extend to the midget wrestling. I forgot about Mini-Vader, and it was the funniest goddamn thing when I saw it again.
3. What the hell was going on with the "Edge is a ladies man but is also marrying Ryan Shamrock" storyline? I had no memory of this ever happening.

1. The first time I can really remember this becoming a thing is during the McMahon-Helmsley Regime. But in 98-99 there were a fair amount of shows that started off with the Corporation cutting a promo in the ring too.

3. Are you thinking of Edge marrying Val Venis' sister? I don't remember the Ryan Shamrock thing

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Val had a thing with Ryan Shamrock but I'm almost positive Edge didn't. That wasn't really in Edge's character at the time.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I thought they opened Raw's in 1997 with promos regularly...at least during the Hart Foundation/Austin stuff.

Maybe I misunderstood the question.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It was only a recap of what had happened until that Raw, so it's probable that I misheard. I guess that would explain why Val Venis ran down to the ring when Al Snow/Steve Blackman beat them up too bad.

As for the promo question. Bret Hart came out to start the second hour with a promo. I just couldn't remember if starting the show with wrestling was regular or not in the early days of Raw.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Val had a thing with Ryan Shamrock but I'm almost positive Edge didn't. That wasn't really in Edge's character at the time.

Wasn't the entire crux of the Shamrock/Venis feud that Ken was super-protective of his sister but she was supposedly a huge slut and giving it up to a bunch of the wrestlers, Val primary amongst them?

I remember Goldust and Billy Gunn also being involved for trying to/succeeding in getting with Ryan, so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they wedged Edge in on a one-off Raw too.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

LightsGameraAction posted:

Wasn't the entire crux of the Shamrock/Venis feud that Ken was super-protective of his sister but she was supposedly a huge slut and giving it up to a bunch of the wrestlers, Val primary amongst them?

I remember Goldust and Billy Gunn also being involved for trying to/succeeding in getting with Ryan, so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they wedged Edge in on a one-off Raw too.

I remember a promo where Val Venus was in the shower with her and made a Shaving Ryan's Privates joke. That's all I can remember about Val Venus.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Grab Meatcastle posted:

I remember a promo where Val Venus was in the shower with her and made a Shaving Ryan's Privates joke. That's all I can remember about Val Venus.

Do you really need to remember anything else?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaylord Plower posted:

Choppy choopy pee pee

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I cleaned some of my childhood poo poo out of my parents shed last time I went home and one of the boxes had a Val Venis figure still in the original packaging.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gaylord Plower posted:

I think he said Hairy Twatter once too

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Gaylord Plower posted:

When his intro music hit and said "Helloooooo ladies!" Todd Grisham would gleefully respond "Hellooooo Val!"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Gaylord Plower posted:

He stole Mr Socko and stuffed it down his trunks to give himself a boost.

And he posts really stupid things on Twitter.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Happy Happyist posted:

When his intro music hit and said "Helloooooo ladies!" Todd Grisham would gleefully respond "Hellooooo Val!"

I don't remember this but it sounds too hilarious to be real.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Grab Meatcastle posted:

I just looked him up, and he's older than I thought - 41. (For reference, Goldust, who's been around FOREVER, is only 43.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DDP is really fascinating, he spent a few years as a manager but didn't become a proper wrestler until he was 35 years old, and he didn't really begin to pick up popularity till he was 38. He was FORTY THREE years old when he won the WCW Title for the first time, and he didn't debut in WWE till he was 45 years old. poo poo is crazy.

Edit: Just to further hammer it home, The Undertaker is currently 47 years old, only two years older than DDP was when he debuted in WWE (as a wrestler).

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Red posted:

I just looked him up, and he's older than I thought - 41. (For reference, Goldust, who's been around FOREVER, is only 43.)

He looked to be in his mid 30s when he was a plucky 22 year old debuting in WCW.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jerusalem posted:

DDP is really fascinating, he spent a few years as a manager but didn't become a proper wrestler until he was 35 years old, and he didn't really begin to pick up popularity till he was 38. He was FORTY THREE years old when he won the WCW Title for the first time, and he didn't debut in WWE till he was 45 years old. poo poo is crazy.

And not only that, but he isn't a huge guy who can have credible matches by just pushing people around and not taking bumps.

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Just to further hammer it home, The Undertaker is currently 47 years old, only two years older than DDP was when he debuted in WWE (as a wrestler).

On one of the Legends Roundtables, DDP was talking about how he should have been a part of the wrestling generation before the one that he was a part of. Page is only 2 years younger than Piper.

Is there anyone who was older than him by the time they became relevant?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Batista is about the only one I can think of who might come close.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

An even more impressive fact: DDP is only 3 years younger than Hogan. He's only 6 years younger than RIC FLAIR.

:psyboom:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

VogeGandire posted:

An even more impressive fact: DDP is only 3 years younger than Hogan. He's only 6 years younger than RIC FLAIR.

:psyboom:

No wonder he was one of the few guys accepted into the main event mix during WCW's collapse.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Red posted:

No wonder he was one of the few guys accepted into the main event mix during WCW's collapse.

The big difference here is that Hogan has been wrestling since '71 and DDP since '91.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Did Chyna really break one of her implants during a match, and if so, how did it happen?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
When Steve Austin is talking into the mic he'll sometimes look up to enunciate a phrase "cause stone cold SAID SO", and flail one of his hands back and forth like he's playing the air trombone.

What is this called, when did he start doing it, has anyone else ever talked about it?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

maniacripper posted:

When Steve Austin is talking into the mic he'll sometimes look up to enunciate a phrase "cause stone cold SAID SO", and flail one of his hands back and forth like he's playing the air trombone.

What is this called, when did he start doing it, has anyone else ever talked about it?

I do believe he's "telling it on the mountain".

That just sounds right to me.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Speaking of Stone Cold, when did he start calling himself that? The story of how his wife talked about "stone cold tea" is well-known, but when did he start using that nickname on television?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jetfire posted:

Speaking of Stone Cold, when did he start calling himself that? The story of how his wife talked about "stone cold tea" is well-known, but when did he start using that nickname on television?

You are joking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45muSkeDKtc

Edit oh wait that is 3:16. Stone cold just happened after he left DiBiase

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 3, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He debuted as "Stone Cold" in a Jobber match or something if I remember. I saw it once I think Vince just says something off hand like "He's calling himself Stone Cold Steve Austin now" or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl1zHTerw0A

I'm not sure if that is the actual video, but it's near enough.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 3, 2013

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LordPants posted:

He debuted as "Stone Cold" in a Jobber match or something if I remember. I saw it once I think Vince just says something off hand like "He's calling himself Stone Cold Steve Austin now" or something.

He really should have gone with Chilly McFreeze :colbert:

Serious wresting question; when someone comes out on Smackdown, there's basically no trusting the pop they get, right? Production will just pipe in whatever pop Creative want them to have?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

generally, yeah. top guys like Orton and Sheamus probably get their pops with little-to-no enhancements but when you see someone like, say, a returning Jack Swagger come out to what sounds like tremendous heat but you just see the audience sitting on their hands, yeah, it's not legit.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The Austin talk has really made me wish that WWE would recycle the old Ringmaster theme for someone. That song was creepy/awesome as hell.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cardboard Box posted:

generally, yeah. top guys like Orton and Sheamus probably get their pops with little-to-no enhancements but when you see someone like, say, a returning Jack Swagger come out to what sounds like tremendous heat but you just see the audience sitting on their hands, yeah, it's not legit.

I always find it odd on Smackdown when they cut to a wide shot of the audience with the entranceway in view, usually at the moment they're expecting a giant pop/people to be jumping to their feet, and the people clearly aren't reacting (to the extent that the audio makes it appear they are). Since it is a taped show, I always figured if they didn't get the,"YEAAAAHHHH!" reaction they were looking for they could just use a different camera angle so it isn't quite as obvious audio-sweetening.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
How did the People's Elbow evolve as a move? Did the Rock always do the little gestures that lead up to the actual elbow drop? It's always looked kinda silly to me, plus it reminds of the episode of Malcolm in the Middle where Hal goes bowling and accumulates all these silly little superstitions when trying to bowl a perfect game.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Answers Me posted:

How did the People's Elbow evolve as a move? Did the Rock always do the little gestures that lead up to the actual elbow drop? It's always looked kinda silly to me, plus it reminds of the episode of Malcolm in the Middle where Hal goes bowling and accumulates all these silly little superstitions when trying to bowl a perfect game.

Was that the one where Francis tried to dissolve the body in the bath tub?

Why did Bret Hart have to wrestle MAD TV's Will Sasso on Nitro? Was there a build up to the match on MAD TV? At the time it seemed pretty random and a waste of Bret's talents and time.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Answers Me posted:

I dont this one is the first but it's close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7my_hMxZAU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

He set's it up with his old finisher and doesn't take the elbow pad off. It's notable that the match this is from is when Mark Henry turned and joined the Nation.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

bartok posted:

Why did Bret Hart have to wrestle MAD TV's Will Sasso on Nitro? Was there a build up to the match on MAD TV? At the time it seemed pretty random and a waste of Bret's talents and time.

Yeah, Bret appeared on an episode of MAD TV. If I remember correctly he "went off-script" and attacked Sasso with a chair. This may have also been the same episode that featured David Arquette and Sting.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

bartok posted:

Was that the one where Francis tried to dissolve the body in the bath tub?

I heard that Chyna and Sunny were seen going into a house with an ATM

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Does anyone happen to have that clip of McMahon forcing Trish to strip in the middle of the ring and bark like a dog? I have seen pictures of it, but the video is required because I'm trying to give a presentation and it's basically the perfect video for the presentation. I have the date of it and everything but it seems that the videos of it have been removed, I can't find it on Youtube, at least. I know it's on a DVD but I don't have that DVD and I think it might be :filez: if I ask for a scene off a DVD, so I'm hoping someone has the clip on a site somewhere that I couldn't find searching, or something.

Does anyone happen to have the clip or be better at me at googling or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Flare_knight posted:

Does anyone happen to have that clip of McMahon forcing Trish to strip in the middle of the ring and bark like a dog? I have seen pictures of it, but the video is required because I'm trying to give a presentation and it's basically the perfect video for the presentation. I have the date of it and everything but it seems that the videos of it have been removed, I can't find it on Youtube, at least. I know it's on a DVD but I don't have that DVD and I think it might be :filez: if I ask for a scene off a DVD, so I'm hoping someone has the clip on a site somewhere that I couldn't find searching, or something.

Does anyone happen to have the clip or be better at me at googling or something?

Did you try daily motioning it? That was a clip removed in WWE purge during the election along with Katie Vick, yet they allowed the smackdown episode with the Mexicools and Undertaker terrorist attack remain up.