Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If anyone was waiting for a Rosewill sale from Newegg, the white board with blue switches is on sale for ~$75 and the black one with black switches is ~$65. The sale is supposed to be until the 27th.

Rosewill sale page:
http://promotions.newegg.com/Rosewill/R13-015/index.html

White board with blue switches:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201052

Black board with black switches:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201045

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Can anyone recommend a good, cheap backlit USB keyboard? Doesn't have to be fancy and have programmable buttons although that would be nice. Not looking for mechanical keys unless it's highly recommended. Mostly I just need something with illuminated keys so I can see what I'm hitting when gaming in the dark. Looking to spend around $30 or so.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

My old Saitek Eclipse is still functional after six years of heavy use, and it cost me about $40 when I got it. It's now known as the Saitek Cyborg and runs for around $50, and there's also the Saitek Eclipse II for around the same price. Not great compared to a mechanical, but still decent for the price if you're just looking for cheap backlighting and durable keys.

Not sure if you can get much for $30 that's also backlit, though, and if you can, I'd be really suspicious of the build quality. While I'm never going back to rubber domes now that I have a mechanical, I can at least say that my old keyboard was pretty decent for its price.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Earlier in the thread someone posted information about the new Cooler Master keyboards that were shown off at CES. I was wondering if anybody knows what the release date/price point is going to be for the Cooler Master Quick Fire XT?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Longinus00 posted:

Earlier in the thread someone posted information about the new Cooler Master keyboards that were shown off at CES. I was wondering if anybody knows what the release date/price point is going to be for the Cooler Master Quick Fire XT?

This article suggests the XT is releasing in March:
http://techreport.com/news/24181/green-mx-switches-blank-caps-appear-on-cooler-master-keyboards

quote:

The updated QuickFire Rapid will be available in February, and the XT variant is due in March. Expect prices for those two to be in the $80-100 range.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Buff Skeleton posted:

My old Saitek Eclipse is still functional after six years of heavy use, and it cost me about $40 when I got it. It's now known as the Saitek Cyborg and runs for around $50, and there's also the Saitek Eclipse II for around the same price. Not great compared to a mechanical, but still decent for the price if you're just looking for cheap backlighting and durable keys.

Not sure if you can get much for $30 that's also backlit, though, and if you can, I'd be really suspicious of the build quality. While I'm never going back to rubber domes now that I have a mechanical, I can at least say that my old keyboard was pretty decent for its price.

Thanks, I guess I can spend a bit more. I was also looking at the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 which seems to have backlit keys, programmable buttons and pretty good reviews for around $45 which the same as the Eclipse II on Amazon which I'll probably use since I have some credit to burn. Is the X4 worth it at the same price?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SnatchRabbit posted:

Thanks, I guess I can spend a bit more. I was also looking at the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 which seems to have backlit keys, programmable buttons and pretty good reviews for around $45 which the same as the Eclipse II on Amazon which I'll probably use since I have some credit to burn. Is the X4 worth it at the same price?
I'd get the X4 over the eclipse. When saitek got bought out by madcatz their quality took a big turn for the worse. I would not count of a current example holding up as well as Buff's 6 year old one. It's a brand I personally avoid now (still have my old cyborg joystick).

There are a couple of super-cheap backlit keyboards on newegg, but they're only $10 cheaper than an X4 and have weird layouts. And MS usually does the cheap plungers and membrane keyboard about as good as is possible.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SnatchRabbit posted:

I've never used the X4 specifically, but Microsoft tends to make decent peripherals. The X4 has 4.3 stars on amazon so unless some of the 1 or 2 star reviews talk about a situation you're likely to be in (incompatible hardware or something) then it's probably worth a shot.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

SnatchRabbit posted:

I own an Eclipse II and I'd take the X4 at the same price, if it feels like any of my other MS keyboards you'll be way happier with that.

I really like the Quickfire Rapid Stealth look, the matte black + side printed keys is sharp.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
How about a Logitech G15? There's a goon in SA mart selling for around $40-50.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

SnatchRabbit posted:

How about a Logitech G15? There's a goon in SA mart selling for around $40-50.

I'm using one now and I don't really like it. It feels super heavy and bulky, and I never find a good use for the LCD screen no matter how hard I try. The macros on it are nice, but I find I rarely use more than 6-8, which a lot of other keyboards offer. The keys also feel kind of unresponsive compared to cheaper ones I've owned. I do have the old blue one that was discontinued, so I don't know. Depends on what you're looking for. I'm personally waiting for a good deal on a mechanical because I really dislike my G15. It just feels too bulky and full of stuff I never need to use.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SnatchRabbit posted:

Can anyone recommend a good, cheap backlit USB keyboard? Doesn't have to be fancy and have programmable buttons although that would be nice. Not looking for mechanical keys unless it's highly recommended. Mostly I just need something with illuminated keys so I can see what I'm hitting when gaming in the dark. Looking to spend around $30 or so.

Alternative option: buy a small USB led lamp for $5 and shine it on the keys of your regular keyboard.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Hey, I'm getting a PC again for the first time in years. I've been stuck on a Macbook Pro for a couple years (it was a gift). I need a recommendation for a keyboard.

I'd like a compact, smallish keyboard, since I have a smallish desk, and hate typing on keyboards with a split in the middle anyway. I also just like it simple -- I don't really need or want any sort of extraneous programmable hotkeys or trackpads or sliders or anything.

Also, having used a Macbook pro for a while, I've become quite fond of thin, scissor-switch keys, but that's not terribly important. In general, I'm a very fast touch-typist and also play some games, so I'm willing to pay for something sturdy and quality.

If there is something out there that's quality but still simple, I'd absolutely love to know. Thanks in advance for any help!

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The obvious choice would be to buy an Apple wireless keyboard (and Bluetooth adapter for your PC if necessary). There's an AutoHotKey script somewhere that lets you use the extra keys on it in Windows IIRC. Otherwise the usual recommendations of mechanical tenkeyless keyboards apply.

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 28, 2013

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Internet Friend posted:

The obvious choice would be to buy an Apple wireless keyboard (and Bluetooth adapter for your PC if necessary). There's an AutoHotKey script somewhere that lets you use the extra keys on it in Windows IIRC. Otherwise the usual recommendations of mechanical tenkeyless keyboards apply.

This, or any sort of Matias Mini Tactile Pro is what I'd recommend for small space environments. That, and you also free up a lot of desk space if you get a trackball mouse.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
I think the CM Storm Quickfire would actually live up to those requirements; it's frequently on sale at places like Newegg from what I hear. When I'm working, I keep it aligned with the center of the monitor; when I'm gaming, I move it slightly to the left for more mouse space. A full-sized keyboard would not allow me to do that.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ha! In fact, I ended up getting a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid. I absolutely adore the extremely-compact layout with no bells and whistles. I figure I'll get used to the taller keys, and I've been convinced that cherry brown switches will be good for fast touch-typing.

My monitor is going to be off to the left of my chair anyway -- my workspace is just plain bad. It'll be uncomfortable at first, but this keyboard will help keep it manageable.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 29, 2013

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009
Oh god, do I need this for my escape key?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bloody-Awes...=item27ce4328ad

:iamafag:

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

standardtoaster posted:

Oh god, do I need this for my escape key?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bloody-Awes...=item27ce4328ad

:iamafag:

Oh god I didn't know you could get keycaps on ebay. You just forced me to get retarded zinc wasd buttons that I'll never use.

Ragehaver fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 29, 2013

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

Custom phone cases, clocks, lighters and much more. Message me for details!
Just picked up the Matias One keyboard for work. comfy, and I really like the BT Keyboard to my phone. It's pretty badass.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ecbc/?srp=17

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ragehaver posted:

Oh god I didn't know you could get keycaps on ebay. You just forced me to get retarded zinc wasd buttons that I'll never use.

I have some zinc WASD keys and while I think they feel neat to use, they weigh about 5g each so the actuation force on those keys ends up being less than the others on the keyboard. It's a little weird! If I had a retarded amount of money I'd probably get a full keyboard of them or something.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

MasterOfDemons posted:

Just picked up the Matias One keyboard for work. comfy, and I really like the BT Keyboard to my phone. It's pretty badass.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ecbc/?srp=17
:stare: Do you not use end/home/pgup/pgdn? Also, is this thing mechanical?

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009
Oh hell yeah! I got this one:

:ussr:

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

Rexxed posted:

If I had a retarded amount of money I'd probably get a full keyboard of them or something.

It's $65 for the zinc full set. God that would be weird. I'll give the WASD a shot and get the set if I like it.

Whats the consensus on putting those rubber rings around each switch? I have a regular old Das Keyboard with brown switches. It's not the loudest thing in the world, but it can be slightly obnoxious. Does the rubber add a better key feel?

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

Ragehaver posted:

Whats the consensus on putting those rubber rings around each switch? I have a regular old Das Keyboard with brown switches. It's not the loudest thing in the world, but it can be slightly obnoxious. Does the rubber add a better key feel?

I've got red rings from WASD keyboards on my Filco MT2 and I like them. Bottoming-out is quieter and feels a bit duller. May help prevent fatigue if you bottom-out hard a lot, but I've got no evidence for that. I believe WASD has a sampler pack if you want to try out the different varieties they carry.

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

Custom phone cases, clocks, lighters and much more. Message me for details!

ilifinicus posted:

:stare: Do you not use end/home/pgup/pgdn? Also, is this thing mechanical?

It doesn't say anywhere that is but it sure as hell feels like it.

Also, the arrows double as pgup, pgdn, home and end when hitting the function key.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

Ditocoaf posted:

Ha! In fact, I ended up getting a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid. I absolutely adore the extremely-compact layout with no bells and whistles. I figure I'll get used to the taller keys, and I've been convinced that cherry brown switches will be good for fast touch-typing.

My monitor is going to be off to the left of my chair anyway -- my workspace is just plain bad. It'll be uncomfortable at first, but this keyboard will help keep it manageable.

I just got one of these with the brown switches and I am really enjoying it so far. Haven't tried it with games yet, but it seems great for programming. I definitely like it better than the MS Natural 4000 I had before.

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009
Got a CM quickfire rapid with blue switches. I guess they don't come with the lovely logos anymore, it's completely blank which is nice. Feels great I guess since it's made by the same manufacturer as filco. My only complaint is that the font in the keys is a little strange. Also gently caress tenkey forever.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MasterOfDemons posted:

It doesn't say anywhere that is but it sure as hell feels like it.
It's made by Matias, so it's a Matias Alps type switch. They're mechanical, with a plunger and spring setup similar to a Cherry. The way they do their contact leaf spring is different, and they're very non-linear in terms of activation force. In a number of ways the Alps switch sounds like it's superior to a Cherry Blue if you want a non-linear keyswitch. I think the only drawback is that the Quiet switch is dampened with rubber so it's not 100% "crisp", but the Tactile (not dampened) one is even louder than a Blue.

Also the Matias Quiet Pro sounds like the keyboard for the guys who want a mechanical but needs the quietest possible example because they work in an open plan office or something.

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009
Ok, this blue switch mechanical keyboard is the absolute poo poo. I've been annoying my coworkers all day and it's just wonderful! For my first ever mechanical keyboard experience I don't think I can ever use a rubber dome again. Does anyone make a laptop with mechanical keys? I'm guessing no.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

standardtoaster posted:

Ok, this blue switch mechanical keyboard is the absolute poo poo. I've been annoying my coworkers all day and it's just wonderful! For my first ever mechanical keyboard experience I don't think I can ever use a rubber dome again. Does anyone make a laptop with mechanical keys? I'm guessing no.

Yeah blue switches are the absolute best at pissing off everyone around you. Get blacks or reds and some rubber rings if you don't want them to murder you. Though it's still going to be fairly loud compared to your standard rubber dome keyboard.

I don't think I've ever seen a keyboard with mechanical switches. They probably take up too much space.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

standardtoaster posted:

No modern laptops use mechanical switches like cherry switches, although some of them use scissor switches which are short throw chicklet style keyboards usually. Cherry switches would add too much height to the case of a laptop most likely. I'm sure there's a 20lb luggable monster PC from the 80s that had some, though.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I love laptop scissor switches anyway. It's really fun typing fast when no key has to move more than half a centimeter. Then again, I haven't owned a "real" keyboard for a long time, perhaps when I get used to tall keys again I'll discover that they really are better.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Trip report after a year of using a Logitech K750: Extremely happy with it. Key response is good, wireless works well, etc. The room I have it in is fairly dark so it doesn't get charged just sitting there. Battery life isn't the greatest if you're playing games, but even then it takes a good month to get it down to where you really need to charge it. If I do need to charge it, a couple days of sticking it by the window while i'm gone to work gets it charged right back up.

Only complaint is lack of a micro-usb for faster charging.

A+ would buy again.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Trip report after a year of using a Logitech K750: Extremely happy with it. Key response is good, wireless works well, etc. The room I have it in is fairly dark so it doesn't get charged just sitting there. Battery life isn't the greatest if you're playing games, but even then it takes a good month to get it down to where you really need to charge it. If I do need to charge it, a couple days of sticking it by the window while i'm gone to work gets it charged right back up.

Only complaint is lack of a micro-usb for faster charging.

A+ would buy again.

Actually just ordered one of these off Amazon, really appreciate the post. Was looking for a nice keyboard that wouldn't need much managing or hassle, read a few good reviews and made the plunge. When you say it isn't the best battery life for games, what exactly do you mean? Day long MMO grinding, or just chilling for a few hours shooting dudes?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
edit: nvm went with a ducky

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 2, 2013

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Has anyone got, tried or otherwise has an opinion on the Ducky Zero Series DK2108?

I noticed the Aussie store PC Case Gear are selling these now and they're really cheap for a mechanical keyboard, A$79 for the blacks and blues and A$85 for the browns and reds. If this was out a month earlier I'd have got it instead of the Shine 2 with blacks, and at that price I'm tempted to pick up the blue one to try as a typing keyboard.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
It's probably going to be hard to find an opinion on them since they've only been available for a week or two. I really wanted to get one, but I wasn't sure how long it would be before they came to the US so I just went with the Shine II. Here's an in-depth look at them if anyone's curious:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1343893/ducky-zero-series-dk2108

They look to be a very good deal for someone just looking for a basic keyboard. For those of you in the US, mechanicalkeyboards.com carries them now. I got my Shine from them and they seem to offer pretty solid service.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask but: do any people here work as Typists? Do you like/dislike your job? why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
What's the best way to clean a mechanical keyboard? Both dust and finger prints. It's not really dirty per se, but I'd like to keep it nice and clean.

• Locked thread