Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

az
Dec 2, 2005

It's not like the Germans kicked the Romans asses or nothing, better include the Brits first :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I live near a little known wall. :smug:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Are they keeping the multi faction Rome idea from the first game? I know some people didn't like it but I feel like it did a pretty good job of making Rome seem like an actual republic with lots of different agendas instead of functioning as a 100% united dictatorship. Roma Surrectum added lots of great events to throw wrenches in your mix but sometimes it's kind of bullshit to just throw up a paragraph of background info and spawn a massive army out of thin air.

Before the Marian reforms the three faction rome maybe didn't make much sense, but after that most armies were going to do whatever their generals wanted, and the generals were also politicians doing whatever they could scheme up for maximum gain.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I live near a little known wall. :smug:

Offa's Dyke?

Edit: Another strong justification for Britain featuring prominently in Rome: Total War 2 is that it did end up being part of the Empire and Contantine the Great was crowned / declared Emperor in Eboracum (York). So far every faction announced was eventually wholly conquered by Rome, given the games' title it could well be CA are focusing on the factions that existed in what would ultimately become the Empire.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 1, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Captain Beans posted:

Are they keeping the multi faction Rome idea from the first game? I know some people didn't like it but I feel like it did a pretty good job of making Rome seem like an actual republic with lots of different agendas instead of functioning as a 100% united dictatorship. Roma Surrectum added lots of great events to throw wrenches in your mix but sometimes it's kind of bullshit to just throw up a paragraph of background info and spawn a massive army out of thin air.

Before the Marian reforms the three faction rome maybe didn't make much sense, but after that most armies were going to do whatever their generals wanted, and the generals were also politicians doing whatever they could scheme up for maximum gain.

Rome is one faction, but there's some vague talk about how each faction has different internal conflicts fitting their culture and history, so presumably there's some way of modeling the internal issues that the Roman Republic had. No details yet about how any of that is going to work, though, far as I know.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Offa's Dyke?

Better known than that but less known than the great wall of China. :colbert:

I need to get back to Roma Surrectum before this comes out.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I've been playing shogun 2 like a madman the last few months, I'm really loving it. I was wondering if RotS was as good as the vanilla campaign? I heard it had some wonky balance with the samurai, is that true?

Also, an even stranger request: does anyone have any good suggestions for a good history book on Japan? I've gotten way too interested in their history as a result of this game and it's somewhat difficult to find suggestions on the topic.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Captain Beans posted:

I was kind of hoping vanilla Rome 2 was just going to be the Marian period until they revealed the Carthage scenario. I would've liked it if there was a pre-Marian campaign where you have to spend a good time scheming to keep your paterfamilias or other male family members running up the cursus honorum to have control of armies, although I guess that could be easy to find your way into a failstate (i.e. not really fun at all). At least with Marian period armies, you have the Total War situation with rich people literally being able to afford to raise their own armies and turn them against the Senate instead of the Senate granting you command of armies and you may be lovely at the job but hey, it's your duty.

At least we don't have all the factions of Rome with their own provinces this time, it looks like it's just "pick a Roman family for a trait" thing, though I assume like Rome 1, your family's popularity with the Senate and the People will affect civil war popping up.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Brownie posted:

I've been playing shogun 2 like a madman the last few months, I'm really loving it. I was wondering if RotS was as good as the vanilla campaign? I heard it had some wonky balance with the samurai, is that true?

Also, an even stranger request: does anyone have any good suggestions for a good history book on Japan? I've gotten way too interested in their history as a result of this game and it's somewhat difficult to find suggestions on the topic.

It's the least fleshed out campaign (since it was the cheapest) but it's still very playable. I've honestly always gone Samurai in it as opposed to the traditional soldiers so I don't know if it gets stupid hard without them, but as near as I can tell there don't seem to be any major problems.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Anyone want me to do a list of FOTS Steam works mods?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Please do! I've almost finished my 2nd vanilla FOTS campaign. I really dig it, it's like N:TW with improvements. And loving killer artillery.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Is there anything that just uses the Empire map with FOTS AI and units?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Nope, it's impossible to mod Empire's AI.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tomn posted:

Rome is one faction, but there's some vague talk about how each faction has different internal conflicts fitting their culture and history, so presumably there's some way of modeling the internal issues that the Roman Republic had. No details yet about how any of that is going to work, though, far as I know.

It'd be cool if upon selecting a faction you could choose between some of the major factions within it (families for rome, clans for brits or something?) that have a few bonuses associated with them and allow you to further focus on a playing style.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fall Of The Samurai Mods: STEAM WORKSHOP ADDITION!

Time again for a brief round up of Mods that'll make playing FOTS a little bit better. Before we begin I'd just like to drop this little sound fix for sound issues when installing mods that add new units to the game.

Simply download Sinfonia Semplice and unpack it in your Shogun 2 data folder after adding the new units to the game.

I'm going to be brief with what these mods do, since you'll be clicking the Workshop Links for a closer look anyways.

Expanded Campaign Time Limit

Extends the time limit given by the campaigns with the following. Works on all Shogun 2 DLC.

+60 years for Shogun 2 campaign
+22 years for FoTS campaign
+60 years for Rots campaign

FOTS Defences Rebalance

Tweaks and cheapens both the cost and research rate for fortress defences for both you and the AI factions.

Occupation Resistance

AI factions don't get any negative penalties for rolling into enemy factions and don't need to garrison them. This adds this to them and forces them to hold their new holdings for some time ending the blitzkrieg expansion of some factions in a handful of turns. Works for Shogun 2, Rise and Fall.

Bayonet Mod

Adds bayonets to most line infantry in Fall using tweaked Yari animations. Looks pretty decent actually.

FOTS Random AI Personality Mod

A personal favourite that truly randomises the faction AI of Fall. Some factions will now switch sides or try for a Republic and invade other factions instead of doing the same stuff over and over again.

Fall Of The Samurai Artillery Mod

Expands Artillery selection heavily with Napoleonic and Victorian smoothbores and howitzers, rockets and Mortars for defence. Even has horse propelled light artillery and the AI uses it all.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
I tried using that bayonet mod a few days ago, and for some reason it completely eradicates all sound in my Shogun 2 game. After some tweaking with the mod window, I found that disabling it again made my sound come back.

As far as the Iceni go for Rome II, I'm not as dissatisfied as some people seem to be. SeanBeansShako pretty much called what I was going to mention with CA's DLC plan, which means we'll probably be seeing the Kingdom of Rome as well as the late Empire with possibly an East/West split. Reading through the faction announcement thread on TWC brings up all sorts of hilariously angry and entitled sounding responses though.

Allthough the screenshot looks excellent as allways this is the fire major bummer for me. Really bad decission from you guys, seriously just because you're from Brittain including a Brittish tribe is a pretty bad move.

Especially considering that this will cost us at least a playable dacian / iberian / german or even a gallic tribe. All of which had a significantly more influencial role during this age and a much more interesting starting position in my opinion due to more varied enemies close by.

And:

I totaly agree with you! Who the are iceni?! Some barefoot loosers with zero historical impact. The only reason they made it in the game is because the CA is in Brittain.

After the shield bearers here comes iceni! Keep it up!

CA trying to keep their initial eight factions fairly spread out? HERESY. Why do I bother even reading anything posted on TWC?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Why do they all put two Ts in Britain?

Also I really hope none of those people complaining have requested an American Civil War game. That would be terribly nationalistic.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Space Wizard posted:

Why do I bother even reading anything posted on TWC?

Yes, that might be your problem.

While I don't disagree that they're historically insignificant and that I'd much rather have more eastern factions (they basically have to have Parthia since it was Rome's principle enemy for so much of its history and it's completely different to the other factions why are you guys listing it as an afterthought), there's also the whole gameplay side of it a lot of people are ignoring: some people really want to start out on an island. The British Isles are by far the safest place in the map, and while it does make it kind of trivially easy, some people want a more laid back game. It's the only place on the map that'll give that kind of experience, so I'm definitely in support of them having a faction there.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're not wrong. Making people think they have to pay 10 dollars just to play as a Germanic or Hispanic tribe, which were much more relevant to the game's timeline, is a lovely thing to do.

Different scenarios? I'd gladly pay a bit extra. Multiplayer add-ons? As long as they're balanced why not? Ignoring the Cimbri, the Lusitanians or the Dacians so you can have a tribe of pale Britons who one time sailed all the way to Brittany (!)? That's just absurd.

It's BS they're only releasing the game with 8 factions, it's even more BS that you'll have to pay to play what would probably be tribes or states that were very important and very interesting to explore.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Sober posted:

I'm surprised I'm this close to Realm divine when I've never hit those similar events in RTW or M2. I had all of Western Europe, North Africa, the Levant and maybe skimming around Scythia a lot and they never declared civil war, which I thought was funny.

It's actually possible to conquer every province on the map that isn't already occupied by another Roman family without triggering the Civil War. I've managed to do it only once with the Scipii, and you basically need to do everything the senate asks of you on time and without fail, while simultaneously blitzing as fast as humanly possible. After there are no more non-roman provinces on the map the Senate simply stops sending requests - at which point you can just leisurely build up an uber-stack in Italy and crush the city of Rome in one turn.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I hope that Scythia is one of the remaining playable factions :ohdear:

It's a pretty unique playstyle in a pretty unique part of the map, so I think it would be a good addition. In the original Rome the only real way to play them was to pack up every city but your capital and gamble everything on a quick invasion of Turkey.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Why do they all put two Ts in Britain?

Also I really hope none of those people complaining have requested an American Civil War game. That would be terribly nationalistic.

It is sort of like a lamer version of Amerikka.

We don't even know if RTW2 will be mod friendly or they will be rolling with the old school 'you beat them you unlock them' like they did in the past too.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

It is sort of like a lamer version of Amerikka.

We don't even know if RTW2 will be mod friendly or they will be rolling with the old school 'you beat them you unlock them' like they did in the past too.

I really doubt that they will unlock factions for free, just look how they have handled Shogun 2. There will probably be a couple of different bullshit preordering factions in the game as well, which they will sell for 20 bucks half a year after the release.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Don't have a problem with them doing faction dlc but 8 just seems like such an artificially low number. They'll only have one spot left for either the Seleucids, Parthians, or Germans, so the two left out will probablybe the dlc factions. Guess it's too early to say but I was hoping the Scythians would make the cut. There's not really another cavalry focused faction as far as I can remember.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

az posted:

It's not like the Germans kicked the Romans asses or nothing, better include the Brits first :smug:

The Germans never kicked the Romans asses, that's mostly revisionist history from the rise of German nationalism. Prior to Teutoburg Forest the Romans literally drove two huge Germanic nations to extinction and post Teutoburg marched up and down Germany at will.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Germans never kicked the Romans asses, that's mostly revisionist history from the rise of German nationalism. Prior to Teutoburg Forest the Romans literally drove two huge Germanic nations to extinction and post Teutoburg marched up and down Germany at will.

Well you know, except at the end (of the Western Roman Empire). But this game won't go there, so...

Teutoburg was an asswhoopin' though. Asswhooping that Germanicus gave back to them ten-fold, but one nonetheless.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Trujillo posted:

Don't have a problem with them doing faction dlc but 8 just seems like such an artificially low number.

Shogun 2 also only had like 8 factions at launch and they were much less varied than the cultures in ancient Europe.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Perestroika posted:

It'd be cool if upon selecting a faction you could choose between some of the major factions within it (families for rome, clans for brits or something?) that have a few bonuses associated with them and allow you to further focus on a playing style.

I might be crazy, but I'm pretty sure the devs HAVE suggested that backing different factions gives you different bonuses. Again, though, it's all still vague as hell and could mean anything. From a simple modifying starting bonus to a whole political minigame.

Trujillo posted:

Don't have a problem with them doing faction dlc but 8 just seems like such an artificially low number. They'll only have one spot left for either the Seleucids, Parthians, or Germans, so the two left out will probablybe the dlc factions. Guess it's too early to say but I was hoping the Scythians would make the cut. There's not really another cavalry focused faction as far as I can remember.

To be fair, depending on how in-depth and complicated they're making the internal factional politics, it seems like it'll be more work to make new factions than just "Slap a few units and buildings down and call it a day." 'Course, I'm going to end up with my foot in my mouth if it turns out that factional politics consists solely of something like "Julii get 10% bonus to popularity,' but yeah.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

gently caress no Belgae or Gauls? the proximity of the Iceni probably rules them out. This leaves the iberian peninsula fairly empty, so there will definitely be a playable celt-iberian tribe i guess, Parthians is probably a no-brainer cause if they're going for accuracy egypt would also be another Greek faction, and the Seleucids on top would be 3 Greek factions and that might look lazy plus looking at their track record with Empire, their choice of the Maratha Federation over the Mughals was a pretty good idea.

Betting Seleucids will be DLC, a faction that copies the unique units of all the other factions for free? I don't think so :colbert:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Fizzil posted:

Betting Seleucids will be DLC, a faction that copies the unique units of all the other factions for free? I don't think so :colbert:

Oh, right. I loved the variety the Seleucids had in the original RTW. I never bothered to check why they copied so many special units into their army, but I left it as "gameplay over historical accuracy", just like how the Egyptians were portrayed. The difference is - I don't know anything about the Seleucids. :v:

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Azran posted:

Oh, right. I loved the variety the Seleucids had in the original RTW. I never bothered to check why they copied so many special units into their army, but I left it as "gameplay over historical accuracy", just like how the Egyptians were portrayed. The difference is - I don't know anything about the Seleucids. :v:

My knowledge comes from an osprey book so take what you will :v: , but apparently they did have romanized troops (legionnaires were pretty famous at that point), and due to them squatting on the territory of the former persian empire they probably had iranian troops too. Plus their own phalanxes and you can see why they were the copy faction.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

One day the Dacians will get a fair shake and my dream of the world's capital at Sarmizegetusa Regia will be complete.

Carolus
Dec 21, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Rome never really got influence beyond the Rhine where Germania really is. And also in the late stages of the empire it was mainly germans who brought it down so..

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well there is Germans, and there is Germans. The earlier Germans of the Rhine region and the Cimbri/Teutons were heavily "Celtisied" and probably included many "celtic" tribes.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Don't forget that less than 100 years ago the German title for their country's leader was still a derivative of the name of Rome's greatest ever military commander. That's quite the impression.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
I just tried Radious' naval mod for Fall of the Samurai, and while I liked what I played the morale changes are ridiculous. It seems like ships will never rout and never surrender, and during the custom battle where I tried it out, I moused over a small wooden ship (playing as the biggest ironclad) as it was sinking and saw its morale status was still "eager" as they jumped overboard.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Electric Pope posted:

I just tried Radious' naval mod for Fall of the Samurai, and while I liked what I played the morale changes are ridiculous. It seems like ships will never rout and never surrender, and during the custom battle where I tried it out, I moused over a small wooden ship (playing as the biggest ironclad) as it was sinking and saw its morale status was still "eager" as they jumped overboard.

I'm fine with it, but I wish the Naval AI would be fixed so their fleets would frigging move.

There is a change on the Workshop that cuts down the inflammible nature of your ships but keeps the default moral values. Still, both things make playing Naval Battles in FOTS really dumb.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Breetai posted:

Don't forget that less than 100 years ago the German title for their country's leader was still a derivative of the name of Rome's greatest ever military commander. That's quite the impression.

And just about in every other language, using the same title or the different form.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Carolus posted:

Rome never really got influence beyond the Rhine where Germania really is. And also in the late stages of the empire it was mainly germans who brought it down so..
The Romans really had no reason to expand past the Rhine, it wasn't worth it. Also the Germans iirc didn't really invade, but migrated to areas like Roman Gaul because they were running away from the Huns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's cute that you use a comedy post to launch into an angry attack on, I'm not really sure, history, Germans, reality?
I love how you gloss over the Teutoburg forest campaign, wedged between a "prior" and "post". It's not like the battle changed Imperial policy and stopped them from further attempts at pushing out the border to the Elbe as had been planned, not to mention destroying three entire Legions in one go, etc. pp.
But god am I glad we have you here to fight the good fight against German nationalism, we couldn't do it without fake history bullshit.