Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

slidebite posted:

Dude should just keep to building models, because other than that he sounds just like any other internet crackpot with a dream.

quote:

With an augmented fuel system, where she can carry liquefied air, the Super Arrow can, we think anyway, fly as high as 250 000 feet and with a booster rocket attached underneath, we believe the Super Arrow could become a sub-orbital vehicle.

He's ambitious, you have to give him that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

gonna email that guy and tell him to put LASERS on it

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm going to design a Super Super Arrow that can fly up to one million...no...infinite feet. :colbert:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Iran unveiled it's totally legit, not a mock-up, domestically produced stealth fighter today:

Looks pretty...futuristic. What about the onboard electronics?

...oh. Well, how big is it?

oh

This owns, and I would buy the G.I Joe/Cobra version in a minute.

I really like all the remove before flight stuff. Very convincing. This bird is minutes from wheels up.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

Is that a never exceed speed of 260 knots?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Well it looks cool at least

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Iran unveiled it's totally legit, not a mock-up, domestically produced stealth fighter today:

Slap some U.N. SPACY decals on that and we're good to go.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
wanna see a dog fight between the SUPER ARROW and the Iranian Whateveritis.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Mobius1B7R posted:

Is that a never exceed speed of 260 knots?

Vne of 260 knots indicated :colbert:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I think Bayliner might want some of their stealth aircraft materials technology back.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

rscott posted:

Is that a single DIN headunit in the middle?

If we're looking at the same unit, it's a Garmin mode-C transponder, probably a GTX-327.

Still not something I'd expect in a 'stealth jet fighter'.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

rscott posted:

A lot of GA avionics use that form factor. It's probably a VHF radio or something. The whole panel looks like what you'd get if you gave somebody a government credit card and told them to put together an avionics package from Aircraft Spruce. Well, not quite, because they sell full-color HUDs for light sport aircraft now. Maybe there were packaging issues.

But, for what it's worth, they have footage of the thing flying, or at least a model that looks like it.

MrChips posted:

gonna email that guy and tell him to put LASERS on it

What, and just give away American advances in military fanboyism? We cannot allow a grover gap!

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Space Gopher posted:

But, for what it's worth, they have footage of the thing flying, or at least a model that looks like it.

hahaha that is definitely an RC model

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

ManifunkDestiny posted:

hahaha that is definitely an RC model

It certainly is.

Iran is the new North Korea.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Space Gopher posted:

What, and just give away American advances in military fanboyism? We cannot allow a grover gap!

The grover gap exists already!

It's above his kitchen cabinets

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

Valfar posted:

High res of the cockpit. Looks like the entire thing is made of glass fiber.
http://i47.tinypic.com/24zxgsw.jpg

sweet. am, fm, and 8 Track!

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
That "plane" is hilariously cute. Who the hell do they think they're fooling? They know we're going to look at it and say "that's some bullshit." The Iranian people can't be that naive, can they? Who looks at that and thinks it's real? Then again, there's people in the US who wouldn't think twice if someone told them Iran had a NEW STEALTH FIGHTER :supaburn:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

MrChips posted:

The grover gap exists already!

It's above his kitchen cabinets
Ah, gotta love people posting in-progress shots and complaining about how it looks half-done. That gap looks... almost like we'd planned for crown molding that just hadn't been installed yet. Imagine that!

Seriously, I think it's really funny how people can post that photo in any sort of disparaging way.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

grover posted:

Ah, gotta love people posting in-progress shots and complaining about how it looks half-done. That gap looks... almost like we'd planned for crown molding that just hadn't been installed yet. Imagine that!

If that's the case, what's with the lighting shining upwards?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Is that Honey Boo Boo's house?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

West SAAB Story posted:

If that's the case, what's with the lighting shining upwards?
Accent lighting.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

grover posted:

Accent lighting.

:downs: For some reason I was expecting them to block off the entire top area, not just put a lip on it as-is, which is why the lighting didn't make sense to me. You don't see that often in McMansions out here, it's usually butted up to the top or everything has an equal gap.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ManifunkDestiny posted:

...oh. Well, how big is it?

oh

So they don't have a Radar in the nose? Or they've perfected the smallest fire control radar that I've ever seen.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

grover posted:

Seriously, I think it's really funny how people can post that photo in any sort of disparaging way.

Your lovely floor moulding looks like poo poo and you should be ashamed of yourself for allowing children in that deathtrap.

Also, way to not obscure your "accent lighting" outlets. That will come in handy when someone wants to charge an iPad while hanging from the ceiling or something.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Polymerized Cum posted:

Your lovely floor moulding looks like poo poo and you should be ashamed of yourself for allowing children in that deathtrap.

Also, way to not obscure your "accent lighting" outlets. That will come in handy when someone wants to charge an iPad while hanging from the ceiling or something.

Fuuuuck seriously even im tired of groverhouse chat, and i did find it funny once. leave the man and his house be.

For content: The Air force does training out of Moses Lake Wa where i work, and so any given day its a different type of aircraft. Today it was the kc-135 flying. Everyone things im a loving wizard for knowing airplane types, I think their weird for NOT knowing.
We see them do touch and go's all day long. The A-6 (or whatever it is now) is the loudest, louder than the c-117 by far.

Raw_Beef fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 3, 2013

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

On a very special episode of Junkyard Wars..

Did anyone else notice that the airspeed indicator has the redline at 250kts? As long as The Great Satan attacks using Cessna 172's, Iran is all set for defense.

The canopy is also a pretty good giveaway that they're showing a mockup. In the video and photos you can pretty clearly see that the canopy distorts the hell out of whatever is seen through it, so it looks like they just melted Tupperware onto a mold to produce it. Plus, having a bubble canopy tends to make airplanes pretty visible to radar (since radar just bounces off the pilot's head) unless some specialized coatings are used.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 3, 2013

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I did a couple of wallpapers for someone

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

azflyboy posted:

Did anyone else notice that the airspeed indicator has the redline at 250kts? As long as The Great Satan attacks using Cessna 172's, Iran is all set for defense.

The canopy is also a pretty give giveaway that they're showing a mockup. In the video and photos you can pretty clearly see that the canopy distorts the hell out of whatever is seen through it, so it looks like they just melted Tupperware onto a mold to produce it. Plus, having a bubble canopy tends to make airplanes pretty visible to radar (since radar just bounces off the pilot's head) unless some specialized coatings are used.

Yeah, this is what struck me too. That canopy + all the hard edges in the cockpit mean that it would light up like a christmas tree.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

rscott posted:

Looks like an 8-track.

Efb

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 3, 2013

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

azflyboy posted:

the canopy distorts the hell out of whatever is seen through it,

It also doesn't seem to have any kind of locking mechanism so the distortion wouldn't be a problem for long.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Is that a Garmin GTX-330 Transponder in there? :stare:

EDIT: Also, looking at the panel, it can't go faster than 250 knots :laffo:

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 3, 2013

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Now I can tell that the scale of that plane seems incredibly off in the photos. Does someone have similar angle photos of modern US/Russian fighters with a pilot in them to show just how small that plane looks? I'm almost getting an octopussy jet vibe from that thing :v:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

dietcokefiend posted:

Now I can tell that the scale of that plane seems incredibly off in the photos. Does someone have similar angle photos of modern US/Russian fighters with a pilot in them to show just how small that plane looks? I'm almost getting an octopussy jet vibe from that thing :v:

Here's a couple of photos of F-22's, which show the relative size of the pilot and aircraft pretty well.

For comparison, here's a photo of a BD-5 (the airplane used in Octopussy), which illustrates just how small the Iranian mockup really is

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 3, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Basically this is what should've been playing when they unveiled the aircraft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Previa_fun posted:

I'm going to design a Super Super Arrow that can fly up to one million...no...infinite feet. :colbert:

I heard that the Domination 313 (that is what the Iranian plane is called) can go to infinity plus one feet :colbert:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Sagebrush posted:

I heard that the Domination 313 (that is what the Iranian plane is called) can go to infinity plus one feet :colbert:

It's just that, you know, with that 250 knot VNE, it's going to take a while to get there.

*looks something up*

... The BD-5J has a VNE of 260.

The James Bond minijet is faster than that thing. :downsgun:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I think it may have been The Aviationist that pointed out that this could be a low-speed stealth plane deisgned to keep American helicopters busy while their speedboats attacked our warships. In that scenario it seems to be a lot more plausible.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Ardeem posted:

It's just that, you know, with that 250 knot VNE, it's going to take a while to get there.

*looks something up*

... The BD-5J has a VNE of 260.

The James Bond minijet is faster than that thing. :downsgun:

If you look closer, the Vne is just over 250, probably 260... waait... the F-313 is a BD5 'kit car' style stealth fighter...

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Advent Horizon posted:

I think it may have been The Aviationist that pointed out that this could be a low-speed stealth plane deisgned to keep American helicopters busy while their speedboats attacked our warships. In that scenario it seems to be a lot more plausible.
It's doubtful the "full-scale" aircraft is even capable of flight. Most people are speculating what's seen flying is an R/C model. Even to my untrained eye, there are obvious omissions, like no HUD or HMD (and thus incapable of combat) and there's no way that exhaust design would work without the fiberglass burning. No room for radar in the nose. No pitot tubes, no antennas, etc. And the design is not only unconventional, it's nonsensical. I'm surprised the R/C model was capable of flight, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

nah hah, my uncle said he can do that.

He also works for nintendo and has mario 8, but He cant show me or he'll get fired.