Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Sub for apple cider vinegar in pulled pork?

I have white, white wine, red wine, sherry, and balsamic. I have no apple juice or applejack or soda, but I do have apples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Nevermind

synapseattack
Aug 29, 2008
Ok, so I got a nice big 16" Wok for Christmas and I really want to learn to cook something in it. To begin with, I am not much of a cook at all when it comes to using the stove but I'm not afraid to screw things up a couple times I suppose. I taught myself to make a few things before by following recipes but that was just bread and cup cakes. I want to move up to something one can consider a meal.

As for style of food I'll take whatever you have to recommend, but let it be known that I am a huge fan of spicy food. Specifically Thai and Indian. And the spicier the better. However some things may be difficult in those categories because I do not have much in the way of a Asian or Indian supermarket near me.

What can you recommend I start with and what things should I build my way up to?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

synapseattack posted:

Ok, so I got a nice big 16" Wok for Christmas and I really want to learn to cook something in it.

First thing you should get is a bamboo steamer. Your ability to make good stir fry will depend on how hot you can get your wok, but you can stick a steamer in there and get perfect results no matter how lovely your stovetop is.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

IoT posted:

I'm going to make some sausage rolls soon; pork sausage meat and caramalised red onion chutney wrapped in rough cut puff pastry made from scratch. Any thoughts on what I can add to the pork sausage meat to give it a big savory boost to complement the sweetness of the red onion chutney - was thinking maybe dried porcini mushrooms.

I would be interested in hearing more about this / seeing pictures of this once you get it going. Unfortunately, I have no advice for you.

synapseattack
Aug 29, 2008

Tendales posted:

First thing you should get is a bamboo steamer. Your ability to make good stir fry will depend on how hot you can get your wok, but you can stick a steamer in there and get perfect results no matter how lovely your stovetop is.

Done. Order one from Amazon. Thank you sir and/or madam.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

synapseattack posted:

Ok, so I got a nice big 16" Wok for Christmas and I really want to learn to cook something in it. To begin with, I am not much of a cook at all when it comes to using the stove but I'm not afraid to screw things up a couple times I suppose. I taught myself to make a few things before by following recipes but that was just bread and cup cakes. I want to move up to something one can consider a meal.

As for style of food I'll take whatever you have to recommend, but let it be known that I am a huge fan of spicy food. Specifically Thai and Indian. And the spicier the better. However some things may be difficult in those categories because I do not have much in the way of a Asian or Indian supermarket near me.

What can you recommend I start with and what things should I build my way up to?

If you want recipes for Indian food, check out the South Indian food thread. It has plenty of American friendly recipes on it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have white, white wine, red wine, sherry, and balsamic. I have no apple juice or applejack or soda, but I do have apples.

White wine vinegar and a rough chopped apple should be fine. Pulled pork is hard to gently caress up too badly

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So, I am temporarily back to the bachelor lifestyle. The girlfriend has been looking for a job for forever, and finally was offered one, but it is far enough away that living at the house during the week is really not feasible. This leaves me by myself 5 nights a week.

I am finding it hard to get the motivation to cook(and subsequently clean) for just myself, and the siren song of prepared foods is becoming stronger. I would really like to avoid this for health, cost, and self-respect reasons, so I am looking for some recipe ideas. Simple American home cooking is welcome, but I also haven't met an ethnic cuisine I don't like yet, and love spiciness. Deliciousness is obviously the most important factor, but my other priorities are below, in rough order of importance.

Speed of preparation
Ease of cleanup
Healthy-ish
Freezability/Reheatability as leftovers
Reasonable cost

Currently at my disposal I have: a fully stocked kitchen(including sour vide setup), multiple ethnic markets, and an open mind. Thanks very much in advance for any ideas.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Most any braised/stewed meat dish makes good bachelor chow. Cook once, probably not tending to it much then reheat all week.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

dis astranagant posted:

Most any braised/stewed meat dish makes good bachelor chow. Cook once, probably not tending to it much then reheat all week.

Yep. Just made a pot roast today so that I could play video games all weekend without really cooking. Stew is also a good choice. Buy a dutch oven if you don't have one and then just simmer stuff on the stove until it tastes good. Then all you do is wipe out the dutch oven and clean whatever tupperware you put it in.

Here are some good very basic starting points.
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pot_roast/

http://hilahcooking.com/beer-beef-stew/

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Simplest bachelor chow casserole:
Cooked pasta (Any kind. I like shells.)
Cooked meat. (Any kind. When I'm broke, I use canned tuna. Ground beef is great. If you do chicken, make sure not to overcook it.)
Sauce. (I like to make a mushroom bechamel. Spaghetti sauce/marinara works fine. If you're really pressed, just dump in a can or two of condensed cream of whatever soup.)
Veggies. (Any kind. I just dump in a bag of frozen mixed veggies.)

Stir everything together in a baking dish. Sprinkle some cheese or breadcrumbs or crumbled potato chips or whatever on top. Bake until heated through and the topping is as toasted as you like.

Obviously, this isn't so much a recipe as a template. Use whatever you've got laying around, add whatever spices and seasoning you like.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I bought a few packages of sausage at SUPER DISCOUNT to use tomorrow, but the Sell By date is today. Will they hold until tomorrow or should I cook them tonight and just reheat tomorrow?

It's a really simple decased sausage + peppers + potato deal, my friends are not of advanced tastes and it's for a Superbowl party.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Its not going to make a difference for 10-12 hours of fridge time, do whatever's most convenient

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
So following this recipe I put way the gently caress too much thyme in my za'atar. It doesn't even taste or smell like anything but thyme. Can anyone suggest a better-balanced recipe, preferably one that brings out the sumac a little more? I found one on YouTube by blind luck and I lost it, and all the text recipes I can find through Google have even more thyme.

On a similar topic, what's a good cheese for manakish? I live in a rural town in Eastern Washington, so there's no way in hell I'll find akkawi anywhere nearby. I have goat cheese and feta, if that helps, and I could probably find European cheeses in town. I'm going for a Levantine taste, if that narrows it down any.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 3, 2013

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

So, I am temporarily back to the bachelor lifestyle. The girlfriend has been looking for a job for forever, and finally was offered one, but it is far enough away that living at the house during the week is really not feasible. This leaves me by myself 5 nights a week.

I am finding it hard to get the motivation to cook(and subsequently clean) for just myself, and the siren song of prepared foods is becoming stronger. I would really like to avoid this for health, cost, and self-respect reasons, so I am looking for some recipe ideas. Simple American home cooking is welcome, but I also haven't met an ethnic cuisine I don't like yet, and love spiciness. Deliciousness is obviously the most important factor, but my other priorities are below, in rough order of importance.

Speed of preparation
Ease of cleanup
Healthy-ish
Reasonable cost

Currently at my disposal I have: a fully stocked kitchen(including sour vide setup), multiple ethnic markets, and an open mind. Thanks very much in advance for any ideas.

I'd say beans are a good choice, they can be frozen and can be cooked in large quantities. You could make just boring beans and then use them like canned beans, or cook them with spices and stuff (like more of a bean stew) and eat them with some rice. It's not speedy in the sense that they'll take a few hours, but it's speedy in the sense that you really don't have to put much effort into it. You can even do it in a slow cooker and have them cook while you're working.

Also on an unrelated note: Today is the Superbowl? Man, I think being a grad student without a TV has seriously destroyed my ties to the outside world. I legitimately feel like I've been living under a rock now. I'm going to be working while everyone is just loving around watching some game.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Any good taco recipes? I'm off tomorrow and would like to make some delicious tacos for my life partner. She is from Texas so keep that in mind - she won't be fooled by any lovely yankee tacos.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I managed to score shallots. How can I store these to make them last as long as possible? I'm in a country where shallots are incredibly difficult to find so anything that will lengthen their lifespan is good.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Keep in a cool dry place.

Alternatively, bury them in dirt until you get more shallots

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

This has most likely been asked a million times but I didn't spot it anywhere else.

I am in the market for a casserole dish. One that I can merrily start off on the hob and then throw in the oven. Is Le Creuset worth the cash? Those things are twice the price of the others that I've spotted (barring a few weirdly cheap ones that seemed to be ill constructed). IS it just a brand name?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Any of the three first is what I'd do.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Doom Rooster posted:

If it's prep and not cooking time you're concerned with, a roasted chicken is healthy, low-effort and will easily feed you for a couple of days.

What can I do with a bunch of leftover, good quality hotdog buns? All I can think of is bread pudding but I don't really want more dessert around.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Cuddlebottom posted:

What can I do with a bunch of leftover, good quality hotdog buns? All I can think of is bread pudding but I don't really want more dessert around.

You could always do a savoury bread pudding.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Happy Abobo posted:

You could always do a savoury bread pudding.
Huh, that didn't occur to me. Thanks.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Cuddlebottom posted:

Huh, that didn't occur to me. Thanks.

Do this: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Leek-Bread-Pudding-356429

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Going to do some coconut crusted chicken fingers with some sweet spicy thai chili sauce. Usually I just do 2x jalepeno or 2x serrano in the sauce, but this time I bought some dried arbor chilis to really give it some kick. I want to (let them know before hand) make people cry with painjoy. I was thinking 2 would be good? Dare I do 3?!

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 3, 2013

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

So following this recipe I put way the gently caress too much thyme in my za'atar. It doesn't even taste or smell like anything but thyme. Can anyone suggest a better-balanced recipe, preferably one that brings out the sumac a little more? I found one on YouTube by blind luck and I lost it, and all the text recipes I can find through Google have even more thyme.

On a similar topic, what's a good cheese for manakish? I live in a rural town in Eastern Washington, so there's no way in hell I'll find akkawi anywhere nearby. I have goat cheese and feta, if that helps, and I could probably find European cheeses in town. I'm going for a Levantine taste, if that narrows it down any.

I've never made my own za'atar, I only ever buy it or am given it. You're not going to be able to really get a good one unless you use the specific herbs though. Herbs that you're not going to find. While za'atar does generally mean "thyme" its actually a different herb, I believe a member of the hyssop family. The recipe you're basing it on though has a good start in that the levantine varieties are more sumac heavy. My favorite, which comes from Kuwait is a bright, rich emerald green with a hefty dose of roasted sesame with little else. I've never had cheese on manakish made from an ethnic bakery so I can't really compare the two but I know that when I worked at a coffee shop with a wood burning oven the Lebanese owner had us use halloumi on the manakish we made for him.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Going to do some coconut crusted chicken fingers with some sweet spicy thai chili sauce. Usually I just do 2x jalepeno or 2x serrano in the sauce, but this time I bought some dried arbor chilis to really give it some kick. I want to (let them know before hand) make people cry with painjoy. I was thinking 2 would be good? Dare I do 3?!

Did 4, no noticeable difference. Boo!

edit: tastes amazing though!

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 3, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Doom Rooster posted:

Speed of preparation
Ease of cleanup
Healthy-ish
Reasonable cost

Like some other people have suggested, try cooking in bulk and then eating over the course of a week. As for some specific simple recipes:

Black Bean Soup and cornbread

Soup

1 lb black dry black beans
2 medium yellow onions
chili peppers to your taste (I usually do 2 poblanos or Anaheims, plus a fistful of red Fresnos/serranos for heat)
6+ cloves garlic
1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 qt. chicken or veggie stock1
1 tsp cumin (or to taste)
1 tbsp chili powder (or to taste)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
juice of 1 or 2 limes
salt
pepper
hot sauce to taste

Cook and strain your beans2. While your beans are boiling, dice your onion and your peppers (de-seed your peppers and remove the white ribs, if you want to reduce the heat) and garlic. Heat up a bit of neutral oil (corn or canola or vegetable) in a decent sized pot over medium-high heat and sautee your chili peppers and onions for 5 minutes or so, or until the onions are translucent. Toss in a bit of kosher salt (get some kosher salt!) and then add your garlic, and cook for another minute or two.

At this point add your tomato paste. Stir it with your veggies to toast a bit, then add your can of whole tomatoes. Stir around for a minute, then add the beans and the stock. Stir to combine, and then add the spices (cumin, chili powder, Worcestershire, etc.). Reduce to low-ish and cook for ~45 minutes. After that time, remove from heat and puree the soup with an immersion blender (Costo has a Cuisinart that is good for cheap!) or by transferring half at a time to a blender. Now season with salt, pepper, and the lime juice (and hot sauce) until delicious. Serve with jack cheese and

Cornbread

1 cup flour
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp neutral oil (corn or canola or vegetable)
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 325o F. Mix dry ingredients in bowl. Add wet ingredients and stir, but not too much! The big lumps should be gone but it shouldn't be totally smooth. Pour batter into greased 8-inch circular pan or square pan or loaf pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick or fork inserted into the middle comes out clean. I make a double batch for my 12-inch cast-iron pan. I also heat up my pan in the oven while it's pre-heating so it forms a nice crust when the batter is added, but that's an advanced move. I like to toss chunks of cornbread into the black bean soup, since it adds texture and smooths out the flavors.

1You can make your own stock, or buy from the store. Veggie stock is super easy to make – just boil some rough-chopped carrots, onions, and celery with a bay leaf and some rosemary for an hour or two, then strain (add dried shiitakes for extra awesome). Or you can use store bought. Get the low-sodium stuff in a carton, rather than a can.
2Bring the dried beans to boil in a lot of water, then reduce to a simmer and cook for an hour or more. The beans for this soup are ready when they're crumbly and almost creamy. Strain with a colander and reserve.

Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce

1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes
1 medium yellow onion
5 tbsp. unsalted butter
salt

Peel onion. Remove root, and chop in halt. Place tomatoes, onion, and butter into smallish saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat, the reduce to low (just barely bubbling). Stir occasionally, and smash the tomatoes with your spoon until they're breaking down (heat will help). After 45 minutes or so (until the sauce is reduced to a thickness you like) turn heat essentially all the way down. Add salt until unimaginably delicious, then serve on pasta.

40-clove garlic chicken

1 1/2 lb chicken (you can use breast, but I prefer thighs)
~40 cloves garlic
5-6 fresh sprigs thyme
salt
pepper

Slice your chicken into bit-sized pieces. Pre-heat oven to 350 o F. Brown in neutral oil over medium-high heat (seriously, get it at least a bit brown, not just grey) in oven-safe pan. When the chicken is nicely browned, add the peeled garlic cloves (whole), thyme sprigs, a healthy dash of salt and pepper, and a bit more oil. Bake for an hour to an hour and a half, until the top is toasty brown and the garlic is soft to a fork. Serve with rice or bread. Eat the garlic cloves as well as the chicken, they are amazing.

These should get you started at least. I also recently wrote up the basics of good chili, and of course we also have a thread for that.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Is there a greek yogurt thread? I FUKKEN LOVE greek yogurt!

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl
I'm sitting here with a bowl full of tomato insides. Don't ask me how I got it, just tell me what to do with it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bad Sneakers posted:

I'm sitting here with a bowl full of tomato insides. Don't ask me how I got it, just tell me what to do with it.

By tomato insides, do you mean the seeds and juicy bits? No skin, no "meat"? If you have any of the flesh left, take what you can and make tomato jelly, maybe?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Press through a fine sieve, make cocktails

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Did 4, no noticeable difference. Boo!

edit: tastes amazing though!

Aren't arbols generally only about as hot as a serrano in the first place? Throw in a couple pequins or a hab if you want to really make it hotter.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 4, 2013

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012
Tell me some tasty things to do with canned tuna that don't involve mayo and can easily be prepared for lunches. I bought some tuna as a cheap protein source, but the other half has a fish allergy so I can't really use it for non-lunch applications.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
tuna salad without mayo: olive oil, celery, bell pepper, shallot, cornichon, capers, mustard, herbs

I don't really do much else with canned tuna to be honest

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Arkham Angel posted:

Tell me some tasty things to do with canned tuna that don't involve mayo and can easily be prepared for lunches. I bought some tuna as a cheap protein source, but the other half has a fish allergy so I can't really use it for non-lunch applications.

Eat it straight from the can along with a bag of almonds and tell everyone at work about the 5k you are running this weekend.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Arkham Angel posted:

These are my two main tuna recipes:

Maangchi tuna pancakes

Ninjin Shirishiri - shredded carrots with tuna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeEhY2eEclk

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bob Morales posted:

Eat it straight from the can along with a bag of almonds and tell everyone at work about the 5k you are running this weekend.

Mix it with peanut butter and protein powder first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Mix your tuna with smooshed white beans, finely diced shallot, lemon zest, and diced parsley. Then make a vinaigrette with the juice of the lemon you zested and then toss your tuna mixture with it.