Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Flaming Globes of Sigmund is probably my favorite Larry David cameo but you simply can't pick a "wrong" one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

potee posted:

I'm out there, Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!

The only thing between him and us is a thin layer of gabardine.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

T. Mascis posted:

Flaming Globes of Sigmund is probably my favorite Larry David cameo but you simply can't pick a "wrong" one

Really, any time that you can hear Larry laughing in the background makes me happy.

I also have a dumb theory that CYE isn't coming back and Larry made the end of season 8 end with him and Leon walking through Paris, unlike when the cast of Seinfeld didn't make it there in the Seinfeld finale.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
He ordered the kosher meal too.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

He ordered the kosher meal too.

He also ordered everyone out of the Chunnel.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Might as well post this.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Now see the two of you need to work on trust... and then and only then will there be a free exchange of sex and discounts... Cornerstones of a healthy relationship.... and now if you would excuse us - We need to get to bed.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I didn't know Larry voiced Saddam!

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

I think that's the first time I just noticed some of them, but I definitely had never seen the original Newman voice.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
What is he doing in the Chunnel?

When Ponce looked in that mirror and saw that he hadn't changed, and that tear started to roll down his cheek? ... I lost it.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 2, 2013

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
:qq: The old man got to me... :qq:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Why did the police man have to yell at me :saddowns:

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
I've been watching all the DVDs again. The commentary tracks are really insightful. I would say like 70% of the stories are stuff that actually happened to the writers or people they knew.

Anyway, I am so glad they cut the real George Steinbrenner from the season 7 finale. He just didn't work and nothing he could do could top Larry David's insane ramblings.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
I don't want to be a pirate!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CaptainHollywood posted:

I think that's the first time I just noticed some of them, but I definitely had never seen the original Newman voice.

Larry actually got Wayne Knight to re-record that line, either for syndication or the DVD release I believe, because he said it felt wrong to have somebody else's voice other than Wayne Knight's associated with Newman.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I have seen multiple Seinfeld billboards recently. I can't imagine seeing billboards for any other 15-year-old (15 years since the finale, I mean) tv show.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
Frog? Frog is wrong.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

potee posted:

Frog? Frog is wrong.

I think I could be a philanthropist. A kick rear end philanthropist! I would have all this money, and people would love me. Then they would come to me.. and beg! And if I felt like it, I would help them out. And then they would owe me big time!

Edit: Also, you'd think with his love of Frogger, that frog would be the right answer.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

potee posted:

Frog? Frog is wrong.

Looks like a frog.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Who's your favorite chess player?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Vigilance posted:

Looks like a frog.

So do you.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Tough luck, chinless.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

You don't know what it's like in there! All night long, things are creaking and cracking.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Red posted:

You don't know what it's like in there! All night long, things are creaking and cracking.

Mr.Marbles? :ohdear:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I flew too close to the sun on wings of pastrami.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
Oh yes they did, Demon Of The Fall, they were all over me. It was like Rocky 1. Diane came up to me, threw her arms around me, and kissed me. We both had tears streaming down our faces. I never saw anyone so beautiful. It was at that moment I decided to tell her I was not a marine biologist!

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Really, any time that you can hear Larry laughing in the background makes me happy.

I also have a dumb theory that CYE isn't coming back and Larry made the end of season 8 end with him and Leon walking through Paris, unlike when the cast of Seinfeld didn't make it there in the Seinfeld finale.

We'll always have pancakes.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I flew too close to the sun on wings of pastrami.

Yeah, that's what you did

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Pierce and Pierce posted:

Oh yes they did, Demon Of The Fall, they were all over me. It was like Rocky 1. Diane came up to me, threw her arms around me, and kissed me. We both had tears streaming down our faces. I never saw anyone so beautiful. It was at that moment I decided to tell her I was not a marine biologist!

Is that a Titleist?

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
Well that's fatal, you don't want that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pierce and Pierce posted:

It's like I was making a prison break, you know. And I'm heading for the wall, and I trip and I twist my ankle, and they throw the light on you, you know. So, somehow I get through the crying and I keep running.

Then the cursing started.

She's firing at me from the guard tower! "Son of a bang! Son of a boom!"

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
I picked up all the Seinfeld seasons as a sale box set, thinking that it was a series that I'd heard good things about, but never got around to watching. Chief culprit being the BBC only showing it at 11:00 at night back when I was a kid.

Also, this mash-up made me keen to figure out what kind of show could have all these scenes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z14_-En-JTk

I'd definitely go to see a 'Jerry the Great' movie.

Just finished watching it, and reading through most of this thread.

Wow. I can really see what all the fuss was about - just seeing it now makes you realise just how influential it was. Friends is like the turkey bird descended from the Seinfeld dinosaur, and all the great shows I love now have obvious Seinfeld heritage.

I quite liked the early ones, and felt it went a bit off when Kramer started getting massive audience whoops of recognition - as though he was the funny man to everyone else's straight-man. He's a hell of a comic actor, but I preferred the everyday humiliations of George and the petty cruelties of Jerry and Elaine. It soon seemed to level out though.

My other half, about halfway through the third season, suddenly had the epiphany 'Wow, they're all assholes!' - which is one of the reasons that I enjoy it so much. It's still refreshing to feel the 'No hugging, no learning' adage come through, and see them be such dicks to each other and everyone else.

Newman seemed to improve more every episode - I loved the Postal Investigator interrogation

'Isn't it true that items rarely get damaged in the mail.'
'Define rarely'
*sweating* 'Frequently'

To say nothing of how influential this show was about getting phrases into the language - I'm hearing people who've never seen the show repeating odd lines from it that have somehow worked their way into everyday speech - Festivus, Double dipping, Serenity now.

Anyway, I know that's a lot of :words: and you guys know how good a show it is, but just to show you there are new fans everyday - even a decade late.

Doubtful Guest fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 3, 2013

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Doubtful Guest posted:

and felt it went a bit off when Kramer started getting massive audience whoops of recognition - as though he was the funny man to everyone else's straight-man.

Larry David felt the same way you did and put a stop to it, thankfully.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
I've never liked that 'Now for the wacky character to say his catch-phrase' thing you seem to get in the worse US sitcoms

Also, Seinfeld seemed to me to be the epitome of an ensemble piece, and without a word of wasted dialogue, so it made no sense to suggest 'He's the funny one.'

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

T. Mascis posted:

Larry David felt the same way you did and put a stop to it, thankfully.

Larry David put the kibosh on it. He's kiboshed before. And he will...kibosh again.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Billy Zane posted:

Is that a Titleist?

No! I'm not a psycho.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Jerusalem posted:

It's like I was making a prison break, you know. And I'm heading for the wall, and I trip and I twist my ankle, and they throw the light on you, you know. So, somehow I get through the crying and I keep running.

Then the cursing started.

She's firing at me from the guard tower! "Son of a bang! Son of a boom!"

Turn your key, Maura. Turn your key!

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Doubtful Guest posted:

I picked up all the Seinfeld seasons as a sale box set, thinking that it was a series that I'd heard good things about, but never got around to watching. Chief culprit being the BBC only showing it at 11:00 at night back when I was a kid.

Also, this mash-up made me keen to figure out what kind of show could have all these scenes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z14_-En-JTk

I'd definitely go to see a 'Jerry the Great' movie.

Just finished watching it, and reading through most of this thread.

Wow. I can really see what all the fuss was about - just seeing it now makes you realise just how influential it was. Friends is like the turkey bird descended from the Seinfeld dinosaur, and all the great shows I love now have obvious Seinfeld heritage.

I quite liked the early ones, and felt it went a bit off when Kramer started getting massive audience whoops of recognition - as though he was the funny man to everyone else's straight-man. He's a hell of a comic actor, but I preferred the everyday humiliations of George and the petty cruelties of Jerry and Elaine. It soon seemed to level out though.

My other half, about halfway through the third season, suddenly had the epiphany 'Wow, they're all assholes!' - which is one of the reasons that I enjoy it so much. It's still refreshing to feel the 'No hugging, no learning' adage come through, and see them be such dicks to each other and everyone else.

Newman seemed to improve more every episode - I loved the Postal Investigator interrogation

'Isn't it true that items rarely get damaged in the mail.'
'Define rarely'
*sweating* 'Frequently'

To say nothing of how influential this show was about getting phrases into the language - I'm hearing people who've never seen the show repeating odd lines from it that have somehow worked their way into everyday speech - Festivus, Double dipping, Serenity now.

Anyway, I know that's a lot of :words: and you guys know how good a show it is, but just to show you there are new fans everyday - even a decade late.

Always great to hear opinions of "new" fans. Another Brit in the TV Couch Chat thread was wondering if he should watch this show because it might seem dated- so it's good to know even today it's still funny. Two things now...

1. After Seinfeld, each of the main cast (except Jerry), tried and failed to have a comedy show where they were the central character. It wasn't until Larry David - co-creator of Seinfeld- had a show based off of him. Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's a pretty big success here, and HBO gives him carte blanche in running it where he can decide when to make each season. A new episode hasn't been on in two years but it should be filming soon. You got 8 solid seasons and it shows he was more or less the real brains behind Seinfeld. Don't expect "Seinfeld", but expect mundane life/situational type humour. If nothing else and you're not feeling it- just watch Season 7. You owe it to yourself.

2. "Wow, they're all assholes!' I highly recommend It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Many shows after Seinfeld ended- and during it's run, tried to copy it's premise more or less, but weren't able to do it. Sunny did it though. It just finished it's eight season, and all are really good, although personally the show doesn't start to get really good until about 7 episodes in.

So there, now you have two more great comedies to watch.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't find Always Sunny funny at all. It feels like Seinfeld without any of the clever jokes. The characters are assholes but I don't find them funny. I've never really understood the hype around that show.

Curb is legit fuckin hilarious though. If you want more Seinfeld, that's the closest you're gonna get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Vigilance posted:

Curb is legit fuckin hilarious though. If you want more Seinfeld, that's the closest you're gonna get.

Including a real, actual Seinfeld reunion!