Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
I saw a waterfall.

Alamere Falls by herd of mongeese, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Kujaroth posted:

I've just come back from New Zealand, some great stuff to shoot there. Here's a few from my trip:

wow, superb job man!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mongeese posted:

I saw a waterfall.

Alamere Falls by herd of mongeese, on Flickr

That's like a kid's ideal playground right there. Building sand castles (and destroying them) would be epic.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Snow by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

_MG_8645 by natebol, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

KPH 9 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

KPH 10 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Revolucion posted:

^ the water in the first one looks utterly stunning.

brandino posted:

Hell yeah, well done dude.

MMD3 posted:

wow, superb job man!

Cheers all.

Here's a few more from the trip:

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

(not actually any land here)

DSC02472.jpg by richardhkirkando, on Flickr

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Kujaroth posted:

Cheers all.

Nice work, I was wondering how they looked so crisp and clean, saw that many were 7-8 shot panoramas. I'm trying to convince my wife to go on a NZ trip for my 30th birthday the year after next.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

This is awesome. I wish I had nothingness to shoot.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Kujaroth posted:

Cheers all.

I almost went to NZ a few months ago, but these make me glad that I haven't gone to NZ yet. Because your shots are so great that I feel like I should go when I have a better understanding of photography!

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
Removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 29, 2020

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Beautiful photograph. Great

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

atomicthumbs posted:

Beautiful photograph. Great

Nice job cloning out the power lines, so many people don't spend the time to do that properly like you did.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I hate all of you people who have cool rocks to shoot. I don't have cool rocks :sigh:

Went hiking a few days ago. Wish I brought a tripod because I got amazing views of LA/Riverside counties at night but I couldn't handhold past 1/20. Maybe next time.

I think this was the first vertical composition I've done in months and I am really glad it turned out okay.

DSC_4457 by chazaraz, on Flickr

I originally had touched up the bushes on the hill on the left to be much greener, but I pulled it back because it started to look like nuclear green. I still kind of miss it though...thoughts?

DSC_4499 by chazaraz, on Flickr

I thought this tree was really cool looking, but I couldn't figure out a good way to compose it and I definitely am having problems coming up with a good crop. Halp?

DSC_4498 by chazaraz, on Flickr

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

1st AD posted:

I originally had touched up the bushes on the hill on the left to be much greener, but I pulled it back because it started to look like nuclear green. I still kind of miss it though...thoughts?

DSC_4499 by chazaraz, on Flickr
I would rather suggest darkening the vegetation on the left a bit, and lighten the building a bit. The building feels like the primary focal point in the image to me, so I'd suggest highlighting it a bit more. On the other hand there isn't any really interesting pattern in the bushes but it's still very uneven in lightness, pretty much just distracting. (They should still be there for balance.)

1st AD posted:

I thought this tree was really cool looking, but I couldn't figure out a good way to compose it and I definitely am having problems coming up with a good crop. Halp?

DSC_4498 by chazaraz, on Flickr

If you had a chance to re-shoot, slightly to the left and down, and a longer lens (maybe from a bit further away): Give the tree more sky background, almost just resting on the "horizon", and not so much other vegetation in front of it.
For the photo you have now, a square crop of the topmost part might work. (Covering the lower part with a hand suggests it will.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All three of those images are hard for me to look at.. they feel too busy. Did you sharpen them a whole bunch or are they HDR? I can't really put my finger on what's wrong, just that I know something is.

There just doesn't feel like there's any empty space or a place to rest my eyes.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah I did sharpen them a bit, take that down a notch I guess? They're all single exposures though, no HDR.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
cross-post from low effort

Ancient tree by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Kristivika, Levanger, Norway.

Went off track on a road by Trondheimsfjord, when I saw the old tree growing right at the shoreline just as a blizzard was closing in.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Fairbury Ready-Mix by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

I boosted the contrast and saturation on this home-scanned Portra.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Southwest by alkanphel, on Flickr

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Verman posted:

Nice work, I was wondering how they looked so crisp and clean, saw that many were 7-8 shot panoramas. I'm trying to convince my wife to go on a NZ trip for my 30th birthday the year after next.

I'm pretty big on panos. Shoot them with a normal or short telephoto lens and you get some insane detail, a great FOV without the wide angle perspective distortion. I do still like and use UWA lenses though.

mongeese posted:

I almost went to NZ a few months ago, but these make me glad that I haven't gone to NZ yet. Because your shots are so great that I feel like I should go when I have a better understanding of photography!

Thanks. I live in Sydney to thankfully NZ isn't a big trip for me. However, I feel the same way about Iceland, I want to go but feel like I should hone my skills further to make the most of it first.

FasterThanLight posted:

(not actually any land here)

DSC02472.jpg by richardhkirkando, on Flickr

This is very awesome.

A few more:

Bilbo Baggins
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

20130121-_DSC0480 by Pliv10, on Flickr

Ferndale by Pliv10, on Flickr

Bilbo Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 5, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Open Cut by MrDespair, on Flickr

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

This is gorgeous.

As is this.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Straighten those horizons!

slothmeister
May 25, 2011
Caught half a sunset last night whilst driving past Brighton

Old Brighton Pier Sunset by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

IMG_2408 by s-bothun, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Boat Shack by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 12, 2013

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Probably need to view it at a larger size...

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
San Francisco, Berkeley, and the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset from the Berkeley hills. Kind of a cliche' shot until you look at the full size, which includes the planets Mercury and Mars, as well a record young/ultra-thin crescent Moon.

Link to full size: Here

That 70s Shirt fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 14, 2013

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Malibu in February by francography, on Flickr

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 12, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

4683 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Hard to follow such good panoramas...

Volcan Llaima by Mijaeus, on Flickr

Santiago v1 by Mijaeus, on Flickr
(I was testing some hdr stuff, forgot I could take a pano. Will go back tommorow to get a better shot.)

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That chapel shot is loving glorious.

Totally gonna steal the idea someday.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That looks like the chapel in the new bond flick where M dies.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
:swoon:

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004
Looking at everyone's great pictures makes me want to start attempting panoramas.

IMG_8861 by Matt Roar, on Flickr

IMG_8927 by Matt Roar, on Flickr

IMG_8929 by Matt Roar, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I went on a hike in Thousand Oaks!

Rancho Sierra Vista 2 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Rancho Sierra Vista 3 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Rancho Sierra Vista 4 by sulakkalus, on Flickr