Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Impressive! I'll pass on trying that for myself, but I salute your dedication to getting it done that way.

Really looking forward to this year's Fiesta. Think I'll sign up for Berserker Risk this time around if it's available.

Yeah, I wish they had like a winter Fiesta too. Kind of getting the itch and it's four months until fiesta time.

While I'm on the subject of things that I want, I wish they had a mode where every crystal assigned you one of the twenty regular jobs at random. It'd need to be a romhack, obviously, but I know for a fact similar hacks already exist, and imagine how fun it'd be to try to power through the early game with four geomancer (or four berserkers...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

W.T. Fits posted:

Well, honestly...

... yeah, that. I tend to be rather completionist when it comes to doing Four Job Fiesta runs. I know I don't have to, but I still want to, just to see if I can.

Oh yeah, that too. But mostly what Kyrosiris said; for the challenge of doing it.

I can understand that, but I think I'd draw the line at waiting for Omniscient to run out of MP without an emulator.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Final Fantasy Tactics Fiesta. Jobs are divided into tiers based on when their gear becomes available (i.e. basic two + Knight/Archer/Monk types for chapter 1), one new job unlocks each Chapter. You can use cheats or power through random battles to gain the necessary levels to unlock jobs.

Special characters (except for Ramza obviously) are banned. You could do a lot of different stuff with Ramza; disallow him from using any job other than special Squire, force him to follow the rules just giving you one extra wildcard character but banning the Squire abilities he gets (unless you roll Squire!), etc.

Baku fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 3, 2013

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Im embarrassed to admit I've never played FFV despite having played a ton of older jrpgs. With that said, what is the best version to play for a first timer?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Im embarrassed to admit I've never played FFV despite having played a ton of older jrpgs. With that said, what is the best version to play for a first timer?

GBA Version is the best.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
GameBoy Advance version, it's got the best translation, best look, and some extra bosses (I think).

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

And if you're looking to emulate, find the GBA version with the music patched to the SNES version.

FFV is really one of the most solid entries in the series. The story is very non intrusive and has arguably the best ATB system along with the best job system.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Twitter posted:

11 Jan FF5ForFutures FF5ForFutures ‏@FF5ForFutures
HI. SO @REVENANTKIOKU IS STARTING TO THINK ABOUT HIS 2013 FOUR JOB FIESTA RUN. IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS, LET ME KNOW!

Is there some kind of cheat/other code that unlocks all of the classes at the beginning? It would be interesting to have a shot at any one of the jobs for each crystal...

And yeah, the GBA version is lightyears ahead of the others.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'll emulate the gba version on my phone then. Might put my replay of ff9 on hold while I do that. Is there a significant difference in the music quality that finding the patched version is worth it?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bellmaker posted:

Is there some kind of cheat/other code that unlocks all of the classes at the beginning? It would be interesting to have a shot at any one of the jobs for each crystal...

There is for the SNES version, at the minimum - that's how Sulla did all his SSCCs. Not sure about the GBA version, and that would kinda limit you to emulator only, too, unless you had whatever requisite cheat device.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Armor-Piercing posted:

With people asking about FF3 lately, would there be any interest in doing a four job fiesta like what is done regularly with FF5? Because I would seriously entertain the idea of playing through the PSP or DS version with a Scholar and Evoker in my party, especially if it would convince more people to try the remake.

Other people beat me to it, but the other big problem with this idea is that FF3's and FF5's job systems are completely different. With FF5, most classes are more or less viable throughout the whole game, especially if you give them abilities from other classes, and that's what allows the FJF to be doable. In FF3, though, later classes are meant to be straight up upgrades for earlier classes. If you played FF3 like a FJF, you'd be stuck with one class that would have terrible stats, have fewer magic charges, and not be able to equip gear meant for later classes.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

I'll emulate the gba version on my phone then. Might put my replay of ff9 on hold while I do that. Is there a significant difference in the music quality that finding the patched version is worth it?

To me it was pretty noticeable. Same complaints people had about the FFVI GBA port. Tinny music quality, some weird compression to make up for the lack of sound channels the GBA has or something similar.

I just really enjoy V's soundtrack.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Zombies' Downfall posted:

You could do a lot of different stuff with Ramza; disallow him from using any job other than special Squire

Considering how ridiculously overpowered Ramza's Squire job is, that wouldn't be much of a hindrance honestly.

I don't see how you could conceivably do a 4JF parallel (I guess 5JF since you can only use five characters max in battles?) with Tactics anyway. Part of the reason you can do it with V is because you have the same four guys throughout the entire game. Tactics has a lot of guest characters and the ability to permanently lose party members. While it's not impossible to beat the game without white magic or items (since items are restricted solely to Chemists, unlike V where it's a constant ability) I can imagine not rolling either of those two classes would make the game a lot more of a pain.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Considering how ridiculously overpowered Ramza's Squire job is, that wouldn't be much of a hindrance honestly.

I don't see how you could conceivably do a 4JF parallel (I guess 5JF since you can only use five characters max in battles?) with Tactics anyway. Part of the reason you can do it with V is because you have the same four guys throughout the entire game. Tactics has a lot of guest characters and the ability to permanently lose party members. While it's not impossible to beat the game without white magic or items (since items are restricted solely to Chemists, unlike V where it's a constant ability) I can imagine not rolling either of those two classes would make the game a lot more of a pain.

Considering SCCs are a popular challenge, where all 5 members of your team have the same job, and cannot use any abilities outside of that job, I don't think having to settle with 4 jobs would be all that hard. Hell, people have managed to do SOLO SCCs for almost every class, where you only have Ramza in one job.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

The best analogue, I think, would be a variant of the Tactics Double Dare Challenge. In it, you choose two characters. Each one gets two different jobs, no overlap (so Squire/Archer and Wizard/Oracle, for example, but not Squire/Archer and Squire/Wizard). You can only use those two characters and each character can only use abilities from their two jobs. The best variant, to allow for more customization through the game, would be to roll up four jobs. You can allocate whichever two you want to each character, and you can switch them up freely, so long as each character was pulling abilities from only two jobs.

The trouble is, it still doesn't get one of the best parts of the FJF: the progression. The first third of FFV is acquiring new jobs and seeing what you're rolling with as it comes. You can't go and plan out your Neo Exdeath strategy as soon as you get your Wind job because you don't know your other three jobs to use. In any of the other games without this progression, such as FFT, a skilled player can play out the entire game in their hand as soon as the jobs are handed out because there's no twists to be added. The developing progression of the FJF is what gives it excitement, as otherwise you're just playing the regular game with restrictions placed on it from the start, as opposed to the FJF's ability to provide an unexpected new challenge out of nowhere.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FFT already has gimmick runs, there's a couple of things people do:

Single Job run: You beat the entire game using nothing but 1 job on as many characters as you need. You can't mix and match abilities, you can only use what that one job gives you. Something like Monks Only actually makes large portions of the game easier, something like Archers only is basically impossible. FFT is an old game with a rabid fanbase and there are people out there that have done a Single Job run for EVERY JOB.

Randomized runs: You literally use a random number generator to get a random mainjob, random sidejob, random reaction effect, random move effect. You can either do this once for your whole team or an a per-character basis. You could get a Monk/Ninja with Teleport, you could get a Archer/Thief with Lavawalk. You could get an entire party of Archer/Thieves. This is actually interesting because you learn to appreciate weird combos and overlooked abilities. Thief for example is pretty useful in fights because of charm.

Only Generics: You have to use Ramza but just don't use the other characters with unique skillsets. Not really a gimmick run because a lot of people just end up doing this anyway

Only Uniques: The opposite of the above, also interesting because by the time you unlock most of them you already have a party set in stone and you'll be ignoring most of them normally. Up to you whether that means you literally can't use generics ever but that means you're rolling through a decent chunk of the game solo. Also there are a lot of knights

You can technically unlock every job as soon as you can do random battles so these playthroughs tend to start with lots of grinding/cheating to get the necessary setup.

Edit: This is what I get for taking so long to type this

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I always appreciated Thief. Many FFT battles were turned into grinding sessions by some persistent flirting with monsters.

I think this was already suggested, but if you split the jobs into tiers and then roll one job from each tier per chapter (so four, right?) it would give you something like the progression in the FJF.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
On the note of gimmick runs, I just completed a solo Cecil run of FFIV DS. It was interesting, but not exactly something I would hasten to do again.

The main 3 sticking points were:
A) Baigan, since Cecil spends most of the battle blinded, paralysed, or both, and Baigan hits pretty hard. Not to mention the self destructing arms.
B) Barbariccia, since Cecil flat out can't harm her without the magic items, and it's pretty much based on getting lucky with the order she chooses to use her moves in, since if she chains Tornado and Lightning at the wrong time, you're pretty much screwed completely.
C) Lugae, purely because he can hit for around 2k with Restore, and around 1.5k with Beam.

The Demon Wall came down to the skin of my teeth, since even with it slowed and its defense lowered, and Cecil berserked and hasted, I only just managed to eke out enough damage to kill it.

Zeromus himself was pretty much a case of Brace -> Heal -> Attack, rinse and repeat, and then slowing him and hasting Cecil when he moved into the Meteor phase. Although Meteor hitting for 3.5k was still pretty horrifying.

But yeah, it was fun enough. Aside from the prevalence of things in FFIV that can inflict petrify.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Saigyouji posted:

On the note of gimmick runs, I just completed a solo Cecil run of FFIV DS. It was interesting, but not exactly something I would hasten to do again.

The main 3 sticking points were:
A) Baigan, since Cecil spends most of the battle blinded, paralysed, or both, and Baigan hits pretty hard. Not to mention the self destructing arms.
B) Barbariccia, since Cecil flat out can't harm her without the magic items, and it's pretty much based on getting lucky with the order she chooses to use her moves in, since if she chains Tornado and Lightning at the wrong time, you're pretty much screwed completely.
C) Lugae, purely because he can hit for around 2k with Restore, and around 1.5k with Beam.

The Demon Wall came down to the skin of my teeth, since even with it slowed and its defense lowered, and Cecil berserked and hasted, I only just managed to eke out enough damage to kill it.

Zeromus himself was pretty much a case of Brace -> Heal -> Attack, rinse and repeat, and then slowing him and hasting Cecil when he moved into the Meteor phase. Although Meteor hitting for 3.5k was still pretty horrifying.

But yeah, it was fun enough. Aside from the prevalence of things in FFIV that can inflict petrify.

I actually did this a few years ago on the SNES version, with similar sticking points. The main differences were that Zeromus was actually super easy (once I got to level 99), and I think Demon Wall was actually literally impossible - I scummed level ups for STR boosts, ground up to level 80 in the cave of summoned monsters, maxed out physical attack, got Defender, and hasted Cecil, but he still killed me before I could finish him off. I had to revive my other party members and have them chip in for a single battle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Yes, GBA sound is pretty terrible compared to what you had for the SNES.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've never had a FFT playthrough where I've relied, or made much use of, items. Healing-wise if you have a character or two with chakra and revive you're fine in a lot of cases. Especially if you're leveled a fair bit.

The problem with a 4JF-type run in FFT is the 1v1 fight. It'd be very easy to end up with a setup where you more or less cannot with the fight.

ProfessorProf posted:

I actually did this a few years ago on the SNES version, with similar sticking points. The main differences were that Zeromus was actually super easy (once I got to level 99), and I think Demon Wall was actually literally impossible - I scummed level ups for STR boosts, ground up to level 80 in the cave of summoned monsters, maxed out physical attack, got Defender, and hasted Cecil, but he still killed me before I could finish him off. I had to revive my other party members and have them chip in for a single battle.

You should've been using the Revenger(?) from Sylph cave against demon wall. It'll actually do more than you do with the Defender.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Saigyouji posted:

I'm slowly working on this myself, albeit for the GBA version. I'm only up to just before Baigan, but I'm curious how you managed to get past the Trap Doors in the Sealed Cavern. I don't recall any reflect items being available at that point, and I didn't think Cecil was fast enough to kill them before they killed him.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
At least in the DS version, the Aegis shield negates Death, which kinda defangs them entirely. Not sure if it stops anything but Petrify in the older versions, though.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Evil Fluffy posted:

Healing-wise if you have a character or two with chakra and revive you're fine in a lot of cases.

Ah yeah, I forgot about those. The Monk's Revive ability would be so much nicer if you didn't have to be on the exact same height for it to work though.

Schwartzcough posted:

Considering SCCs are a popular challenge, where all 5 members of your team have the same job, and cannot use any abilities outside of that job, I don't think having to settle with 4 jobs would be all that hard. Hell, people have managed to do SOLO SCCs for almost every class, where you only have Ramza in one job.

Oh yeah, I know about SCCs, which is why I made sure not to say it'd be impossible or anything like that, but I think the biggest difference I can think of would be you don't need revival items in a SCC (since if that one guy falls it's over), so having multiple targets that potentially are weaker than a single character could cause permanent party member loss. In a SCC, one guy is getting all the experience and JP (barring guests) so that one character would be stronger ability/level-wise than a group of characters, unless you bring grinding into it. And grinding with five characters is much more time-consuming than grinding with one.

So again, I didn't want to say it would be ridiculously hard or anything, it would be much more of a hassle than it's worth I think, as opposed to V where you can't permanently lose anybody (okay, Galuf, but I mean in a way where it would leave a hole in the party).

keet
Aug 20, 2005

SSNeoman posted:

See, my problem is that I disagree with this statement. I don't know why, but when I played FFXIII Lightning always struck me (har har) as extremely callous and remorselessly vindictive. She seemed pissed about every goddamn thing and used it as an excuse to continue being an rear end in a top hat to the rest of the party.

I'd bet money a huge amount of Lightning's novelty and resulting appeal in Japan is simply being written pretty blatantly as a standard 90s Jrpg hero in a genre that is traditionally terrified at doing that to female characters who don't also have woobie moments or creepy merchandise that emphasizes their cuteness. But money talks and the fandom likes Badass Pink Lightning so marketing, even at its most severe, is very careful about that being the presentation. Even her goofiest outfit is closer to a Nomuraism than poo poo like the dresspheres (which I didnt mind) or DLC swimsuits (which was lame). She is not supercomplex, but baby steps. Whether its an accident or not (I hope the later) the future tend of it could be interesting now the Square knows it can sell a female lead character on something besides sex appeal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will give them credit for this and say that I don't think it is an accident.

We've seen what Toriyama does when he tries to go for sex appeal. (loving Third Birthday.) Lightning isn't even in the same ballpark as that atrocity, not even her Lightning Returns goofy-rear end corset gear. They also went out of their way to avoid giving her a romance subplot which is something they wouldn't have done if they were not consciously trying to avoid certain stereotypes.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've never had a FFT playthrough where I've relied, or made much use of, items. Healing-wise if you have a character or two with chakra and revive you're fine in a lot of cases. Especially if you're leveled a fair bit.

Auto-potion is awesome, especially in certain restrictive fights WIEGRAF, but in general you're right that healing is a secondary concern in FFT and you're often better off focusing on a breakneck offense that methodically kills all the enemies before incoming damage is a serious concern. White Magic healing is non-instant and dependant on the targets having high enough Faith, in a game where a character with maxed Brave and zero Faith is actually basically invincible if you stick a defensive reaction ability like Blade Grasp on them.

It's probably the Final Fantasy game with the worst White Magic. In most of the other games, it's either vital or the most powerful ability set in the game. Holy is a better loving nuke than Flare in FF5!

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007

Bellmaker posted:

And yeah, the GBA version is lightyears ahead of the others.

Can't help with GBA but the PAR code for all jobs unlocked on the SNES version is:

7E0840FF
7E0841FF
7E0842FF

I did a full-random fiesta style game and it was a lot of fun, even though my team was 2 dancers and 2 berserkers.

Doing a 4JF style game with FFT is a good idea, I may have to try that.

Modoh fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 4, 2013

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Holy is a better loving nuke than Flare in FF5!

This is also true of FFT.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

This is also true of FFT.
Generally, but I tend to stick with Flare anyway for the odd enemy who absorbs Holy.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I finally broke down and picked up XIII and XIII-2. Playing through XIII with low expectations and I am pleasantly surprised. It really reminds me of FFX which I loved (non-international sphere grid was just as linear imo) but with a different battle system. I hated it at first, but the paradigm system is pretty great after using it for a bit. I just wish there was a way to switch lead characters during battle to better micromanage. I'm hoping it wont be an issue once the characters unlock more jobs.

The characters and cutscenes are pretty laughable but at least they look nice. Some of the their interactions are just ridiculous. "Your mom died? *giggle* Here's a hug! All better now!"

I'm a bit confused about the leveling weapons/accessories. I got Hope's default boomerang to level 4 then found a boomerang that has just a couple less magic points at level 1. Should I level that one instead? When I dismantle something that's at a higher level do I get better stuff from it or is it just wasted?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kyoujin posted:

I finally broke down and picked up XIII and XIII-2. Playing through XIII with low expectations and I am pleasantly surprised. It really reminds me of FFX which I loved (non-international sphere grid was just as linear imo) but with a different battle system. I hated it at first, but the paradigm system is pretty great after using it for a bit. I just wish there was a way to switch lead characters during battle to better micromanage. I'm hoping it wont be an issue once the characters unlock more jobs.

The characters and cutscenes are pretty laughable but at least they look nice. Some of the their interactions are just ridiculous. "Your mom died? *giggle* Here's a hug! All better now!"

I'm a bit confused about the leveling weapons/accessories. I got Hope's default boomerang to level 4 then found a boomerang that has just a couple less magic points at level 1. Should I level that one instead? When I dismantle something that's at a higher level do I get better stuff from it or is it just wasted?

To understand weapons you basically have to understand this:

In theory, every weapon is equal. What sets them apart are their unique attributes. Leveling a weapon up enough to evolve it amplifies whatever the unique attribute of that weapon is. (Faster ATB gain/stronger magic/whatever.) While Lightning's ultimate weapon will always be Ultima Weapon, its exact attributes will depend on what you leveled up to evolve into Ultima Weapon.

Some weapons are inarguably better than others but basically you want to find a weapon with an attribute you like and focus on leveling it alone.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I kinda figured that was the case. I guess I will be switching then since Hope's default weapon has strength and magic but as rav/syn he doesn't need strength and the new weapon is pure magic. Just kind of a bummer to find that right after wasting all those mats to level his other weapon.

Now he just needs to learn Brave. Forget protect and shell, I need Lightning to hit harder and guarantee 5 stars!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
How good is blue mage/learn in FFV? Starting party is knight/white/black/blue but I dont want to invest in blue if it actually sucks, I'll do monk or something instead.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hope doesn't get any kind of offensive buffs until waaaaay late in the game - those are all Sazh's territory. Yes, it makes the Hope/Lightning sequences incredibly tedious.

How good is blue mage/learn in FFV? Starting party is knight/white/black/blue but I dont want to invest in blue if it actually sucks, I'll do monk or something instead.

Blue magic is amazing in FF5.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Blue Mage is what pretty much let me win my first Four Job Fiesta last year.

It's ridiculously good in every way.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Blue magic is unquestionably extremely useful. L.5 Doom alone will make getting job levels far less of a chore. There's a lot of poo poo blue magic, but you can still count on series staples like White Wind, Mighty Guard, the Aero series, and 1000 needles (which ignores defense and can be gotten early on when boss HP totals stay below 3000)

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Ok cool, keeping a blue mage until its mastered I guess. Is there any way to see what the next skill to be learned is? Can each character eventually master every class, and is there anything I should know or classes I should favor early game?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ok cool, keeping a blue mage until its mastered I guess. Is there any way to see what the next skill to be learned is? Can each character eventually master every class, and is there anything I should know or classes I should favor early game?

Every character can master every class, yes, but it'd take forever and wouldn't be worth it. Red Mage is an early-game power class, for the first two-thirds or so it's all the benefits of White Mage (except for Esuna) and Black Mage with decent equipment to boot. Once you start getting level four magic, its utility tanks hard, so drop it. Bard's also pretty useful once you get Alluring Air and Romeo's Ballad (a multi-target confuse and a multi-target stun that lasts longer than it takes for an ATB to recharge respectively). Honestly you can more or less choose which classes seem cool to you, other than Berserker there really aren't any trap options.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Aside from looking it up (the instruction manuals always listed the skills per level), no. Every character can indeed master every class, and mastering a class makes your Freelancer inherit all of its passive abilities (except Berserk and +%HP/MP skills) and its highest stat--so if you master Monk, your Freelancer now naturally has Monk HP, Barehanded, and Counter; if you master Knight, you now have Knight Strength and auto-cover; if you master Summoner, your Freelancer gets Summoner MP and a Summoner Magic score, etc. This only applies to your Freelancer form, though. You can't be a Knight and naturally inherit Summoner poo poo.

As for early game classes, Monk/Knight is really solid for Counter and Defend. It's nice to have a healer, too. Mystic Knights/Sorcerers/whatever-they're-called (I dunno what version you're playing, its name is different in the SNES patch, the PS1 version, and the GBA version. Every time) are badasses. Don't rely on Black Mages or Red Mages too much. You should just go with what you want, though; unless you make a party like Black Mage + Summoner + Red Mage + Geomancer, it's hard to have a hard time. FF5 is a pretty chill game, level classes that you think look awesome. They might not be, but no worries.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Unfortunately no, there's no way in game to see what the next skill will be.

Regarding jobs:

I like to pick two attackers and two casters to keep my job selection more focused. The attackers are pretty much the same, but I'll start the casters separately in white or black and then move onto the more specialized mages to get those various skills.

-After you get the first job set, start your attackers in Knight or Monk until they get 2-Handed (level 3) or Counter (level 4) respectively, then move onto the other one.
-Thief isn't super necessary at the beginning unless you want to get the dash skill in the SNES version. There isn't really anything great to steal for a long time.
-I like to give one of the attackers Blue Mage until they learn the Blue skill (Level 3, IIRC), just because it's handy to have the Learning and Blue skills without compromising your mages or being forced to use a blue mage all the time.
-FYI, you have to be hit by a blue magic to actually learn it. So L.5 Doom not working on you doesn't count, you have to die from it.
-Once you have Mystic Knight, switch your attackers to that and give them 2-Handed or Counter (or Learning/Blue for the former Blue Mage attacker). Stay with it until you get at least Level 3 Sword Magic, that way you can use the second tier elementals on other jobs.
-When you unlock the third set, set someone to Beastmaster right away to learn Control (level 2). You'll need this for Blue magic. I used my white mage just for the hell of it.
-Time for your attackers to split up. I set one to Ninja with Sword Magic and the other to Hunter with Blue. The goal here being to eventually learn Dual-Wield and Rapid-fire, which you probably won't do until you reach Val Castle and can start grinding statues (Make sure to learn L.5 Doom in the Ancient Library!)

At this point you can basically do whatever you want since you can easily grind up the points you need for any job. You'll want to eventually master some jobs because the whole idea is toward the end of the game you can switch back to your freelancer "job" and you'll receive all the passive bonuses and skills from your mastered jobs. Some of them don't have inherited abilities, like white and black mage, but every job gives you a massive boost to a certain stat after reaching the right level. These stat boosts then get passed to Freelancer after it's mastered. So once you reach the final boss, you can switch to Freelancer and reap all these benefits in the final battle.

E:f;b on some points since it took so long to type it :mad: