Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

myron cope posted:

Is it possible to have some kind of notice when the forums aren't loading? I am at school and apparently SA is blocked. I auto-joined their wifi and when I loaded up Awful all of my bookmarks just disappeared entirely. I figured out what the problem was but I'm just wondering if the app could maybe say "hey it's not my fault, the forum itself isn't loading!"

We could absolutely do a better job being offline (or effectively offline). I'll make a note about the bookmarks specifically, that's pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

vikingstrike posted:

Yeah, it's a great feature. I use it all of the time.

Same, I had no idea it was not the default option.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I've learned about so many options and corners of the Forums by working on this app. I can only imagine the surprises Choochacacko uncovers every day.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Trying to get into the last page of the powerlifting thread in Ylls seems to consistently cause a crash.

Console posted:

2013-02-01 19:01:33 +0000 Awful *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** -[NSRegularExpression enumerateMatchesInString:options:range:usingBlock:]: nil argument'
*** First throw call stack:
(0x39d503e7 0x3845b963 0x39d50307 0x38f62063 0x38f61f37 0x88939 0x84787 0x89539 0x84787 0x88db7 0x66619 0x36456793 0x36459b3b 0x3645767d 0x3645a613 0x3645a7d9 0x37f187f1 0x37f18684)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Should be fixed in the next version, which unfortunately won't come out until next week.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was under the impression that SA runs a Frankenstein monster built off of a 12 year old version of vbulletin.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I.d like to request multiple text sizes on the iPad version - just got an iPad mini and my old man eyes aren't too comfortable with the tiniest text (seems even tinier than on my iPhone)

Thanks!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It's on the list!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

This is a long overdue thank you for adding in constant sidebar for iPad. It makes everything quicker and it's easier to read long paragraphs.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Will the constant crashes be fixed in the next update, because I can't yospost with this thing

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Should be fixed. Sorry!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Minor bug: I don't seem to be able to reveal spoilers that are in a list. (As seen in this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525464&perpage=40&pagenumber=39#post412128622)

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

pokeyman posted:

Should be fixed. Sorry!

Don't worry - like everything else in yospos, my posting is poo poo

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
I just wanted to stop by and say that this newest version of awful is fantastic and I greatly appreciate what you guys do for this free app.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

pokeyman posted:

We could absolutely do a better job being offline (or effectively offline). I'll make a note about the bookmarks specifically, that's pretty bad.

I had a similar problem recently, and worse than the bookmarks not loading the app crashed when I tried to go to settings

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One of the stickied threads in Ask Tell is missing a thread icon:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531156&perpage=40&pagenumber=3

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Weird, it was certainly made, maybe it's filename is wrong.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Apparently there are two copies of that thread tag, LF-dad and phiz-dad. Exact same image, just with two different names. We had one, but not the other.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That thread tag should be coming to an app near you in the next day or so!

TACD posted:

Minor bug: I don't seem to be able to reveal spoilers that are in a list. (As seen in this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525464&perpage=40&pagenumber=39#post412128622)

Thanks! I'll throw it on the bugpile.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I have a feature request. I know that I can access a user's profile from the ellipses menu but could you have tapping their username bring up their custom title?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That's a good idea. We're not done with profiles/titles/etc. just yet.

Development note: we originally had it so a long tap on a username or avatar would bring up the profile. Unfortunately, that interacted poorly with text selection and spectacularly poorly with VoiceOver. So I stuffed profiles in the ... menu for the time being.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

If any devs read this, VoiceOver is awesome. Your app is broken if it don't work with VoiceOver.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pokeyman posted:

That's a good idea. We're not done with profiles/titles/etc. just yet.

Development note: we originally had it so a long tap on a username or avatar would bring up the profile. Unfortunately, that interacted poorly with text selection and spectacularly poorly with VoiceOver. So I stuffed profiles in the ... menu for the time being.
Would it make life easier for you to make a single tap on avatar or user name (not long tap which could be confused for selection) open a menu for profile / custom title / rap sheet / pm / post history or whatever? That seems more logical than having it on the post "..." menu. Maybe there's a downside to that but I can't think of one,

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'll give it a try.

We've been thinking about where to put things like rap sheet or "PM this user" once those features make it into the app. They could always go on the profile screen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know if this is intended behavior or not, so I just decided to ask. :v:

When tapping entries on the bookmarks screen, that entry disappears from the list of threads. In some ways this is a really cool feature because if I'm catching up on a number of threads and reading from the top, threads with unread posts are always at the top of the screen. The downside is that the 'read' thread disappears completely. Sometimes I hit the 'back' button too quickly and want to go back to the thread I was just reading, but I have to reload the bookmarks screen to get the thread to show up again.

This isn't a new thing, it's been doing it since at least the post-Christmas update. I've been trying to decide if it's actually a problem or not.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Now that 6.1 is jailbreakable, I've updated my phone. Sorry, pokeyman! You're losing a 5.1.1 beta tester!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

xzzy posted:

I don't know if this is intended behavior or not, so I just decided to ask. :v:

When tapping entries on the bookmarks screen, that entry disappears from the list of threads. In some ways this is a really cool feature because if I'm catching up on a number of threads and reading from the top, threads with unread posts are always at the top of the screen. The downside is that the 'read' thread disappears completely. Sometimes I hit the 'back' button too quickly and want to go back to the thread I was just reading, but I have to reload the bookmarks screen to get the thread to show up again.

This isn't a new thing, it's been doing it since at least the post-Christmas update. I've been trying to decide if it's actually a problem or not.

There should be an update out in the next couple of days (it's in the Apple review process now) that fixes this. It was to do with the forum updates again, I believe.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

When tapping entries on the bookmarks screen, that entry disappears from the list of threads. In some ways this is a really cool feature because if I'm catching up on a number of threads and reading from the top, threads with unread posts are always at the top of the screen.

After fixing the bug, I kind of missed it as a "feature" exactly as you describe. There've been requests before about ordering read threads below unread threads and such, so we'll definitely come back to it.

But yeah, as said above, it's fixed in the next version. Should be out this week.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

pseudonordic posted:

Now that 6.1 is jailbreakable, I've updated my phone. Sorry, pokeyman! You're losing a 5.1.1 beta tester!

If your evil plan was to force Awful to require iOS 6, you lose! Someone's still testing with their iPad 1.

Actually, it'd be nice to add an iOS 5 tester. If anyone's stuck on iOS 5 for the foreseeable future, drop me a PM or email pokeyman@nolanw.ca.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

If your evil plan was to force Awful to require iOS 6, you lose! Someone's still testing with their iPad 1.

Does this person get email in their hut? Or do they have to hike down the the village to communicate?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Can you add an IAP or something to tip you a buck?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Nope, IAP has to actually do something in the app. Unlock something, add something, whatever.

But the real answer is: don't worry about it. It's a team effort among designers, developers, testers, so we'd have to split any income among the contributors. Then comes issues about who's a contributor, how much should they get. And while I'm sure everyone who uses the app is quite generous, we're probably not talking about much in the first place.

It's a nice idea, but it's really not necessary. Share and enjoy. Thanks for the warm feelings though!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pokeyman posted:

Nope, IAP has to actually do something in the app. Unlock something, add something, whatever.

But the real answer is: don't worry about it. It's a team effort among designers, developers, testers, so we'd have to split any income among the contributors. Then comes issues about who's a contributor, how much should they get. And while I'm sure everyone who uses the app is quite generous, we're probably not talking about much in the first place.

It's a nice idea, but it's really not necessary. Share and enjoy. Thanks for the warm feelings though!

Thank you for letting my iPhone forums experience be like this:

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

pokeyman posted:

Are you sure it has to do something? I know that Punch Quest has an IAP that is literally 'tip us a buck' and does nothing in-app. Although that app has other IAPs that unlock things.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

cliffy posted:

Are you sure it has to do something? I know that Punch Quest has an IAP that is literally 'tip us a buck' and does nothing in-app. Although that app has other IAPs that unlock things.

No, that IAP also causes you to "win" a random piece of special equipment. I don't think Apple would allow it otherwise. Granted, you can continue to tip after you've got them all

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Is anybody else finding it a massive chore to select / delete large chunks of text from quotes? Fairly often I find myself wanting to quote just a single pertinent sentence from an enormously long post somebody has made, and it's a reals hassle to select the unwanted text and drag the selection box down past the end of the screen so it scrolls and encompasses more.

I feel like the real problem here is iOS' text selection mechanism, but I don't know if there's any clean way the app could compensate for this at all?

I realise this is probably way more effort than it's worth :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, text selection is super painful, but it's iOS' fault and not Awful's.

The long tap really needs a "select paragraph" option because dragging those two little blue dots around is really sketchy, especially if you have to do any scrolling.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah you can get pretty stuck sometimes, it's a pain.

While it's technically true that you're fighting with iOS text selection, it takes its cues from the content it's displaying. There might be a way to structure the posts view so that text selection works better. Font size might have an impact too. I'll experiment with what I can control and see if we can do better.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

xzzy posted:

Yes, text selection is super painful, but it's iOS' fault and not Awful's.

The long tap really needs a "select paragraph" option because dragging those two little blue dots around is really sketchy, especially if you have to do any scrolling.

Tapping with two fingers will select an entire paragraph of text. I was pretty blown away by that when I first learned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

TACD posted:

I feel like the real problem here is iOS' text selection mechanism, but I don't know if there's any clean way the app could compensate for this at all?

Wonder if it is possible in iOS to let you select text, then hit the ... button on the post and Quote, and only have it use the selected text in the quote.

• Locked thread