Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ZeroAX posted:

Is the Galaxy Nexus still a good phone? I have a Nexus S and I'm starting to hate how slow the phone is (especially in Google now) and how bad multitasking is. Is multitasking any better? Many times if I'm using the an app and get a text/call and them go back to the app it will have to reload. This wouldn't be such a big deal if Sprint service didn't suck and take 5 minutes to reload.

That's not due to Sprint's service, that's because the phone's 512MB of RAM is pushing things out to make room for other things, like that phone call.

As for the GNex vs Nexus S, my boyfriend did that upgrade on Sprint just a few weeks ago and he seems to like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Giblet posted:

td4guy posted:

Yeah. Just don't tell the Sprint employee that you just bought it from eBay, or else they'll kindly tell you to gently caress off.
Not sure where you get that idea from. We get paid so little on upgrades I actually try to get people to purchase their phone elsewhere if they aren't getting any accessories.
Got the idea from here.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

brc64 posted:

Pretty much this. Especially since they jacked up the monthly fee. $50 to replace the phone without TEP is still a better value than paying for it every month...

Are you saying that if I break/lose my phone I can get a new one for $50 without TEP?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Considering you have to pay a $100 deductible on a broken/lost phone, on top of your monthly fee, it isn't worth it at all. You aren't guaranteed a replacement phone of equal quality (look at the Evo3d posts - they're getting replacement phones that are far worse), plus the replacement phones often have their own set of problems, and with how fast Android phones depreciate, it makes sense to just save that monthly fee and replace with a used phone off Craigslist.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I didn't realize TEP had a $100 deductible like that. Bad detail reading in my part, usually I don't gently caress up like that. Cancelling tep now!

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's not due to Sprint's service, that's because the phone's 512MB of RAM is pushing things out to make room for other things, like that phone call.

As for the GNex vs Nexus S, my boyfriend did that upgrade on Sprint just a few weeks ago and he seems to like it a lot.

I know it's not Sprints fault it has to reload but Sprints data speeds make it even worse.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ZeroAX posted:

I know it's not Sprints fault it has to reload but Sprints data speeds make it even worse.

Yeah, that's definitely true, it adds to the load times. I'd get the Galaxy Nexus, it should still be good for a while.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Totally TWISTED posted:

I didn't realize TEP had a $100 deductible like that. Bad detail reading in my part, usually I don't gently caress up like that. Cancelling tep now!

Lets clarify just so people know:

TEP: $11 a month for a real smartphone (still $8 for WiMAX phones), $100 deductible on WiMAX smartphones, $150 deductible on current more expensive phones. They are offering. iPhone insurance, but I don't have to details on me.

Policies: you get support from two sections with TEP: Sprint repair centers and Asurion. With TEP sprint covers all defects and minor repairs (last I checked up to two cracks, though some stores are more anal about it) with no deductible, they just order you a replacement. Once it is deemed beyond repair (shattered screen, lost, etc) then you pay a deductible.

If you do not have TEP you can still utilize Sprint repair centers for a $50 fee. Any exchanges here are covered for 30 days, and if its outside of 30 days they have to charge you again.

Should everyone have TEP? Probably not. But i would still say its worth considering, out of the major carriers it is easily the best policy and you get pretty good tech support. Anyway, just wanted to clarify.

If I'm off on a number somewhere someone please let me know.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

td4guy posted:

Got the idea from here.

Well it's true that if you purchased the phone privately you technically can't add insurance but if you activate online you can choose to add it anyways. That being said they still should have fixed his phone if the system said it was under a year old.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
So, is the sprint iphone5 as bad as everyone says it is on sprint.com, sprintusers.com, and everywhere else?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Got my Note 2 yesterday. I upgraded from the Epic and holy poo poo do I love it. Just one question though. On my epic I could turn the 4G off but on this phone I dont see that option can anyone tell me where that is?

Also when is Android 4.2.1 coming to it?

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 3, 2013

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Wonderllama posted:

So, is the sprint iphone5 as bad as everyone says it is on sprint.com, sprintusers.com, and everywhere else?

Haven't had an issue with mine, though I have access to LTE, which I think makes all the difference. Getting off my old 3g phone and on to a 4g phone made it seem like I was on a whole new network.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Duckman2008 posted:

Lets clarify just so people know:

TEP: $11 a month for a real smartphone (still $8 for WiMAX phones),

When I got the screen for my EVO 3D replaced the Sprint store quoted me $11/month for TEP.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Jedi425 posted:

Haven't had an issue with mine, though I have access to LTE, which I think makes all the difference. Getting off my old 3g phone and on to a 4g phone made it seem like I was on a whole new network.

Yeah aside from the lack of LTE while Sprint rolls out Network Vision, the Sprint version is no different than any other model.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SalTheBard posted:

Got my Note 2 yesterday. I upgraded from the Epic and holy poo poo do I love it. Just one question though. On my epic I could turn the 4G off but on this phone I dont see that option can anyone tell me where that is?

If it's like the Galaxy S3, which I would assume it is, you can shut off data by pulling down on the top of the screen, scroll til you see the option (that's where the vibrate, wifi, etc options are)

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

SalTheBard posted:

You can turn off LTE by going to settings -> Wireless and Network -> More settings -> Mobile networks-> "Network mode" and switch that to CDMA. However unlike the EPIC I don't think the note 2 has a separate, battery draining radio so leaving it on or off probably won't make much of a difference.

As far as 4.2.1 who knows. Samsung is probably going to be more focused on their S4 so don't hope for a timely update.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Wonderllama posted:

I can't comment on the 5 itself, but I have the 4S...

It's a great phone on a terrible network. Sprint has done NOTHING Network Vision related (as far as I can tell) in Ohio, so anywhere I go on a regular basis = terrible data speeds.

The battery life/camera are worlds better than any android phone I had before I got the 4S last year, and I love the phone on WiFi.

So, I think the problem is more "Sprint related" than anything.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just ported my wife's phone to Straight Talk, so I'm left with mine on the account. I'm not bothering to port, just using Google Voice, how do I cancel the line?

Teflon Bob
Feb 2, 2004

Wipes down easy!
You mean you aren't porting your Sprint number to Google Voice, just using your GV number? You can call the normal Sprint support number (800-927-2199) and tell them you want to cancel. They will transfer you to retentions, who will promise to cut your grass or whatever.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Q_res posted:

When I got the screen for my EVO 3D replaced the Sprint store quoted me $11/month for TEP.

poo poo you are right. They are all $11 of month. The only difference is the deductible.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Wonderllama posted:

What do you mean? It's a great phone and (in my opinion) better than any Android phone out there.

If you live in an LTE area the data speeds are great. Otherwise 3G is just as poo poo slow as it is with any other phone on Sprint.

Good news is LTE should be significantly expanded this year. Target completion is still early 2014, but major metro areas will start getting finished this year, meaning tons of crews and equipment flooding into smaller cities and rural areas so they will blow by a poo poo-ton faster. Think about the number of crews required to fully update NYC, now apply those people to the entire state of Ohio.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Teflon Bob posted:

You mean you aren't porting your Sprint number to Google Voice, just using your GV number? You can call the normal Sprint support number (800-927-2199) and tell them you want to cancel. They will transfer you to retentions, who will promise to cut your grass or whatever.

I know who I'm calling this summer to deal with my 150 acres of grass.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Ender.uNF posted:

Think about the number of crews required to fully update NYC, now apply those people to the entire state of Ohio.

...but I don't want to wait that long. :(

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

...but I don't want to wait that long. :(

But you've waited so much longer already? I know sunk cost fallacy and all, but still...

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE
I figure it like this, by the time Ohio gets decent (read: ANY) LTE coverage, my s3 will be at least 14 months old. Outdated tech. Of course, I'll want to upgrade, but all the cool new phones won't support 4g lte. Only 5G lte. so I'll get a new phone, Ohio won't get the 5g lte service for another 2 years, and I'll once again have a great phone stuck on lovely 3g speeds.

I'm lovin ya sprint, I really am.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Sounds like the real problem is living in Ohio.

I kid, I kid. Is Verizons LTE service in Ohio that much better? What about other carriers?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Verizon's LTE in Cincinnati/Columbus/Dayton (where I spend 99% of my time) is pretty spectacular, actually.

On the "plus" side, the fact that my bonus sucked rear end last quarter, and paying for a wedding is more important, I'll be holding off on paying my ETF and moving to Verizon. Maybe Sprint will get their poo poo together in the meantime and I'll just stick with Sprint.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

beamrider posted:

I figure it like this, by the time Ohio gets decent (read: ANY) LTE coverage, my s3 will be at least 14 months old. Outdated tech. Of course, I'll want to upgrade, but all the cool new phones won't support 4g lte. Only 5G lte. so I'll get a new phone, Ohio won't get the 5g lte service for another 2 years, and I'll once again have a great phone stuck on lovely 3g speeds.

I'm lovin ya sprint, I really am.

LTE-A is backwards compatible. But I understand, and respect the point you're trying to make.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Krime posted:

My 32GB Sandisk bought the farm a week ago on my Note 2.

Suck hard, but I've bought a Samsung 64GB to replace it with... forced upgrades are great, right? :v:

I think I had the same card, was a 32gb Sandisk anyway, but yeah, the reviews for it on various sites now have a decent chunk of them failing after a few months, there was probably a bad run of them last Fall. Or these phones eat cards and that's super lovely if true...guess we'll find out in a few months.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Well I was planning to buy a used GN to replace my Nexus S, but ended up getting a used GS3 I found for $270. Hopefully this will last me till something new comes out to use my upgrade on.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Brightman posted:

I think I had the same card, was a 32gb Sandisk anyway, but yeah, the reviews for it on various sites now have a decent chunk of them failing after a few months, there was probably a bad run of them last Fall. Or these phones eat cards and that's super lovely if true...guess we'll find out in a few months.

As a user of one of those cards (well, the 64gb one), yipes.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have the Nexus S 4G, so to reply to the earlier poster, this phone feels like it really should have been left on 2.3, 4.0 was a bit much, and everything beyond that I've thrown on it has resulted in the thing eventually either slowing down like a tired mule, or randomly closing the application I'm using for whatever reason. I blew it away and re-installed, and it's better at the moment without all the apps on it, but, it sucks having to treat the thing like a windows 95 computer that can be destabilized. Granted, more ram, more CPU, more storage, means you can throw more poo poo on the phone. But if even the newer phones handle themselves as poorly, they too will eventually fall victim to bloat, especially at my hands.

While I miss my iDEN devices, Android doesn't do it for me. I'm a tech person but my frustration with these things as a pocket utility never seems to end. I've been sitting on an upgrade, so we'll see where BB10 or WinPho end up, there's really no harm in looking at the other ecosystems to see if the device will at least remain usable for utility purposes, and maintain itself over some length of time without cracking apart like an egg over the long term.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Partycat posted:

I have the Nexus S 4G, so to reply to the earlier poster, this phone feels like it really should have been left on 2.3, 4.0 was a bit much, and everything beyond that I've thrown on it has resulted in the thing eventually either slowing down like a tired mule, or randomly closing the application I'm using for whatever reason. I blew it away and re-installed, and it's better at the moment without all the apps on it, but, it sucks having to treat the thing like a windows 95 computer that can be destabilized. Granted, more ram, more CPU, more storage, means you can throw more poo poo on the phone. But if even the newer phones handle themselves as poorly, they too will eventually fall victim to bloat, especially at my hands.

While I miss my iDEN devices, Android doesn't do it for me. I'm a tech person but my frustration with these things as a pocket utility never seems to end. I've been sitting on an upgrade, so we'll see where BB10 or WinPho end up, there's really no harm in looking at the other ecosystems to see if the device will at least remain usable for utility purposes, and maintain itself over some length of time without cracking apart like an egg over the long term.

Newer Android phones don't run nearly as bad as the Nexus S. This is because they're equipped with better processors, more RAM, better ways to manage storage (no more partitioned storage), and some have the capacity for large SD cards.

It sounds like you need to upgrade to an SGS III or at least the Galaxy Nexus.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
LTE is going to be "the thing" world-wide for at least 10 years, probably 20. It has plenty of room for updates that will all be backwards-compatible. The standard even anticipates micro and femto cells like the Airave (the LTE version of that device shouldn't have near the issues the 3G version has).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

WoG posted:

As a user of one of those cards (well, the 64gb one), yipes.

Yeah, tell me about it. I've had a few " oh poo poo" moments already (random unmounts, " this card is borked" messages, etc), but a restart has fixed it each time. I guess I'll just back it up as often as I remember, maybe turn on dropbox sync for photos. :sigh:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ender.uNF posted:

What do you mean? It's a great phone and (in my opinion) better than any Android phone out there.

If you live in an LTE area the data speeds are great. Otherwise 3G is just as poo poo slow as it is with any other phone on Sprint.

Good news is LTE should be significantly expanded this year. Target completion is still early 2014, but major metro areas will start getting finished this year, meaning tons of crews and equipment flooding into smaller cities and rural areas so they will blow by a poo poo-ton faster. Think about the number of crews required to fully update NYC, now apply those people to the entire state of Ohio.

Still betting against Omaha being lit before the inevitable "like the ending of The Perfect Storm" bankruptcy from their staggering install costs once they get cut off by Softbank.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Partycat posted:

While I miss my iDEN devices,

If you definitely mean Nextel, this goes under the "poo poo I never thought I would hear" category.

Random note: I finally leave selling sprint to work for ATT, and the 2nd month there they are now doing a big Push to Talk initiative. I can't goddamn escape it.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005
So I had to use insurance to replace my Note 2 that cracked after a fall. So this was a few weeks ago, I put the phone in the envelope they provided and mailed it back. I just got a call saying they haven't received it yet and reminding me to mail it in. Do I need to be worried about getting charged? Do I just tell them I mailed it and that's that? I can't afford getting an extra 300-500 charge.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

Newer Android phones don't run nearly as bad as the Nexus S. This is because they're equipped with better processors, more RAM, better ways to manage storage (no more partitioned storage), and some have the capacity for large SD cards.
I remember when Samsung announced the US Galaxy S3 would have 2GB of RAM and people were questioning why so much. Now, I'm really really glad it's that way, as I'm sitting at 1.2 GB all the time.

I wandered through Manhattan/Queens this weekend and hit patches of LTE. Some places I'm hitting 6MB/s and other places I'm getting 0.25 MB/s. Lots of eHRPD, which is a good sign. I think my decision to stick with SERO and ride it out with Sprint was a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

thenakedflip posted:

So I had to use insurance to replace my Note 2 that cracked after a fall. So this was a few weeks ago, I put the phone in the envelope they provided and mailed it back. I just got a call saying they haven't received it yet and reminding me to mail it in. Do I need to be worried about getting charged? Do I just tell them I mailed it and that's that? I can't afford getting an extra 300-500 charge.
The exact same thing happened to me. I called them up and they put me on hold for 15 minutes, then came back on the line and said something to the effect of "yeah, our tracking system isn't perfect, yeah, we received it."

td4guy fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 5, 2013