Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

FightingMongoose posted:

Bozza, if you can be bothered making an effortpost...
http://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/comments/1720pg/in_the_last_20_years_since_privatisation_in_what/
I always appreciate your writing maybe some other people would too.
Well I posted. Eurrrgh reddit.

And also a thing from the BBC asking "have fares risen since privatisation" (answer: yes.) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21056703 including rail minister Simon Burns giving the excuse that the reason fares are high now is because BR didn't invest in the 80s/90s and now the ~*free market*~ has to make up for it, conveniently ignoring why British Rail didn't invest (no money) and who was responsible for funding them (tories).

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A woman from Greater Anglia jumped aboard the train while it was sat at the terminus and asked if I could complete a quick survey. I agreed, since I wasn't going anywhere soon.

One of the questions was:
"Would you recommend this train company to any of your friends who were thinking about travelling?"

Rather than what? Walking?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

kingturnip posted:

Rather than what? Walking?
Presumably driving? It doesn't strike me as an obviously dumb question. Even if none of your friends happen to be able to drive, it's still far and away the most popular form of transport in the country.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

kingturnip posted:

One of the questions was:
"Would you recommend this train company to any of your friends who were thinking about travelling?"
Well, of course. Next time one of my friends is thinking about travelling, I will definitely recommend that they choose to travel between stations served by Greater Anglia. Much better than routes served by First Great Western.

Gotta love that free market!

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Well I posted. Eurrrgh reddit.

And also a thing from the BBC asking "have fares risen since privatisation" (answer: yes.)

How the gently caress does something like this get posed as a question? Honest to gently caress, next it'll be checking whether privatisation benefits poor people.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Chocolate Teapot posted:

How the gently caress does something like this get posed as a question? Honest to gently caress, next it'll be checking whether privatisation benefits poor people.

So you think the BBC shouldn't look into things and should just accept "common knowledge"? The general public's perception of price rises are almost always without consideration of inflation, like the whole "Freddos aren't 10p anymore!?!?!" thing; while since the time Freddos were priced at 10p there has been almost 100% inflation, so they are now 20p.

The BBC article points out that several rail routes and ticket types have not increased equal to inflation, even though the general trend is that rail prices have increased more than inflation.

twoot fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 24, 2013

Iohannes
Aug 17, 2004

FREEEEEEEEEDOM

twoot posted:

So you think the BBC shouldn't look into things and should just accept "common knowledge"? The general public's perception of price rises are almost always without consideration of inflation, like the whole "Freddos aren't 10p anymore!?!?!" thing; while since the time Freddos were priced at 10p there has been almost 100% inflation, so they are now 20p.

I wasn't aware that the average inflation rate of the last 5 years was 20%. At an average rate of closer to the CPI 3% it would take over 33 years for inflation alone to be the cause of the doubling in price of Freddos. And since Freddos were not available between 1979 and 1994, that's clearly not the case.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Iohannes posted:

I wasn't aware that the average inflation rate of the last 5 years was 20%. At an average rate of closer to the CPI 3% it would take over 33 years for inflation alone to be the cause of the doubling in price of Freddos. And since Freddos were not available between 1979 and 1994, that's clearly not the case.

Inflation compounds and fluctuates.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Iohannes posted:

Actually at 3% it would take 24 years to double in price. But lets not quibble about actual maths.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Nationalise Freddos.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

This is what ice can do to the bottom of a train, by the way:
(click for zoom)

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
So this article on battery-powered trains got me thinking: what're the next-gen technologies as far as rail transport is concerned? I know there's maglev and all, but that seems like a dead end because of infrastructure costs.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

quote:

If for some an intercity express will always resemble an oversized toy then this is perhaps just one stage further towards an extravagant childhood dream: a battery-powered train capable of travelling 600 miles on a single charge.
Urrgh.
Toy trains pick up current through the rails. They don't use batteries.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cerv posted:

Urrgh.
Toy trains pick up current through the rails. They don't use batteries.

There are plenty of models of toys that use batteries http://www.kindertrains.com/brio-wooden-railway-battery-powered-engines.html

(The Brio brand train sets use wooden track pieces with grooves for the wheels to run in, it'd be impossible to supply current)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

coffeetable posted:

So this article on battery-powered trains got me thinking: what're the next-gen technologies as far as rail transport is concerned? I know there's maglev and all, but that seems like a dead end because of infrastructure costs.

They would be really really bad for the environment as well, those 8 ton batteries will need replacing all the time (the savings on fossil fuels will also prob be negative once you include the manufacturing costs of the battery). Electrification makes much more sense in the long term.

e: I'm not sure how much improvement is rail efficiency is physically possible, it is already ridiculously efficient. Going faster without using more energy will always have large infrastructure costs, and pouring concrete is very carbon intensive. I suppose the "next-gen" technology is really in reducing costs and improving design and town planning so that more people will travel by rail. There are also gains to be made in timetabling/organizational structure/signalling in order to get more tph on limited track space. None of them are very sexy though. This is a great graph from a very good freely available book.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 3, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

They would be really really bad for the environment as well, those 8 ton batteries will need replacing all the time (the savings on fossil fuels will also prob be negative once you include the manufacturing costs of the battery). Electrification makes much more sense in the long term.

These make a good stop-gap while electrification goes on - certainly better than the current plan of trains equipped with both diesels and pantographs/shoes for electrified lines.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

These make a good stop-gap while electrification goes on - certainly better than the current plan of trains equipped with both diesels and pantographs/shoes for electrified lines.

Dual-mode locos work fine in the United States and Canada:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALP-45DP http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/passenger/commuter-regional/njts-alp-45dp-enters-revenue-service.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_DM30AC

These are "full" dual mode vehicles which are capable of operating for hours and hundreds of miles on either power mechanism. One of them's been in revenue service for a decade or so and the other just started.

There's also the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_Genesis#P32AC-DM which is capable of running on third rail power only for about 30 minutes or so at a time; which is enough to allow them to travel through tunnels where diesel is otherwise prohibited due to emissions issues.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
I wrote a paper for university on discontinuous electrification, I'll dig it out tomorrow and post some highlights.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

There's also the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_Genesis#P32AC-DM which is capable of running on third rail power only for about 30 minutes or so at a time; which is enough to allow them to travel through tunnels where diesel is otherwise prohibited due to emissions issues.

What prevents them from running for longer than 30 minutes on third rail power?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

They worked fine here too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_73

Worked, because we figured we could throw them away a couple of years ago.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Weembles posted:

They're simply not designed for it. I'm no mechanic so I can't tell you why but they're rated to only remain moving on third rail power for about 30 minutes; which is more than enough time to move them out of the NYC train tunnels where running a diesel engine is banned except in case of emergency or repair works with passenger service shut down.

The other two designs can run on either power mode as much as they want however.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Install Gentoo posted:

They're simply not designed for it. I'm no mechanic so I can't tell you why but they're rated to only remain moving on third rail power for about 30 minutes; which is more than enough time to move them out of the NYC train tunnels where running a diesel engine is banned except in case of emergency or repair works with passenger service shut down.

The other two designs can run on either power mode as much as they want however.

At a guess when you have a primarily diesel locomotive, you would be likely to use a naive design where you have separate 'throttles' (since you usually control the power to the bogie motors by varying the speed into the generator on a diesel locomotive which in turn adjusts the voltage/current dependant on load, but have a constant voltage source on an electric locomotive, which means using rheostats or such to control the voltage to the motors). As such, if your design is only for short use of electric, then you can avoid a lot of the heatsinks necessary to dissipate the heat from the rheostats and just rely on it not getting 'that hot' if it's only running for 30 minutes max.

OTOH, a locomotive that is more evenly split between methods of propulsion, you'll need to dissipate the heat generated from a potentially constant use of the electric pickup, and thus need to cart around the heatsinks anyway, and can use a more complex single throttle system, that makes the diesel/generator act more like a constant voltage source.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

SybilVimes posted:

They worked fine here too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_73

Worked, because we figured we could throw them away a couple of years ago.

Pretty sure there's still 73s around - in fact NR have bought some/all of them and plans to have them re-engined so they have the same power off the third rail as well as on it, and with less risk of overheating.

In terms of battery locos, there's the LU battery locos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_battery-electric_locomotives) and the NR New Measurement Train, which is basically an old HST, was given a battery for a while as a test (http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/hybrid-technology-enters-the-real-world.html). I also just found out about this, but it doesn't sound like it was too successful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_BEMU

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

Weembles posted:

Looks like you'll get some technical info here - http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=110790&sid=99038713811daac11d008b3b97abb0db

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Next time you complain about fare collection policy, be glad it's not as draconian as this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21294241

quote:

The Swiss have long been proud of their railways but a new, strict ticketing policy is turning the love affair sour.

As I write this, I am travelling home watching the sun set over the mountains which flank Lake Geneva.

It is bitterly cold, there has been a good deal of snow, but the train is right on time. It is warm and I have a seat.

I feel pleasantly smug as I look out at the rush hour traffic on the motorway.

I feel smugger still as the aroma of fresh coffee heralds the arrival of the drinks service. Swiss friends often tell me, proudly, that their rail service is the best in the world, but recently, the Swiss love affair with their railway has turned a little sour.

It all began with the decision to abolish ticket sales on trains, though ticket collectors stay. In theory, this should work - you can buy tickets from a machine on the platform, online, or by smartphone.

In practice, it has become a rancorous public relations disaster, and all because of a Byzantine logic over what constitutes a valid ticket, and a policy of issuing huge fines to passengers who do not have one.
Take, for example, the young man with a ticket which must be date-stamped by a machine on the platform. The machine is out of order, so he carefully writes in the date by hand, gets on board, and is fined by the conductor for not having a valid ticket.

There is the pensioner, out for a day with his grandson, who kindly bought both their tickets on his mobile phone, but it turns out you are only allowed one e-ticket per person, so poor old granddad is fined.

And then, there is me. One frosty morning I arrived at my local station to find that the ticket machine was broken. No matter, I thought, I have got a smartphone, and I hurriedly set about buying my ticket that way.

This was not as easy as I had hoped, fiddling between credit card and phone with freezing cold fingers, but, by the time I got on the intercity to Geneva I had an e-ticket and I proudly showed it to the conductor.

Unfortunately she was less than impressed and told me in no uncertain terms that my ticket was not valid. Why, only became clear several weeks later when a letter arrived from Swiss railways euphemistically named "revenue protection service".

The good people there tell me the formal payment for my ticket from my credit card company arrived four minutes after my train left the station. That means, they say, that I bought my ticket on the train - and that is not allowed.

Together with the letter was a fine for 190 francs (£133, $210). In vain do I protest that the policy of abolishing ticket sales on trains surely cannot be taken that far? In vain do I point to the broken ticket machine and my paid-for ticket, valid only on that day, for that journey?

And in vain are the protests of the 750 other passengers across Switzerland receiving similar fines every single day.

Swiss railways say their policy is designed to protect honest fare-paying passengers, but a quick look at their balance sheet suggests something else. The company is making an estimated $2 million (£1.26 million) a month from fines.

It is a nice little earner, but it has left a nasty feeling with passengers who believe they are being punished as fare dodgers when in fact they have done their best to buy a ticket.

Some are even taking their cases to court. That should be interesting. Swiss railways versus the people.

In the meantime, although train travel is still popular, those seats do not feel as comfy, the coffee does not smell quite so good - because Swiss railways have lost, for now anyway, something far more precious than $2 million a month: good relations with their customers.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Jonnty posted:

Next time you complain about fare collection policy, be glad it's not as draconian as this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21294241

Yeah, this article is a bit poo poo. The phone-based ticketing system works well and there are dozens of ticket machines at the stations, one breaking doesn't prevent anyone from getting anywhere. Even if they all broke, the stories of people invalidating their tickets by pen and then getting fined by the conductor is a bit silly too. If you board the train and the first thing you do is explain to the conductor what has happened, they're more than happy to invalidate the ticket themselves. It's only if you take the piss and wait a few stops that they'll shaft you.

Swiss trains are thoroughly awesome: They're dirt cheap if you have a 1/2 tarif card which everyone except tourists have, a bit like oyster in london. They're spacious, clean, efficient and frequent. The complaints are just because the swiss don't like change (or immigrants, or poor people, or liberals).

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

Yeah, this article is a bit poo poo. The phone-based ticketing system works well and there are dozens of ticket machines at the stations, one breaking doesn't prevent anyone from getting anywhere. Even if they all broke, the stories of people invalidating their tickets by pen and then getting fined by the conductor is a bit silly too. If you board the train and the first thing you do is explain to the conductor what has happened, they're more than happy to invalidate the ticket themselves. It's only if you take the piss and wait a few stops that they'll shaft you.

Swiss trains are thoroughly awesome: They're dirt cheap if you have a 1/2 tarif card which everyone except tourists have, a bit like oyster in london. They're spacious, clean, efficient and frequent. The complaints are just because the swiss don't like change (or immigrants, or poor people, or liberals).

Fair enough. It did sound a bit excessive to be true.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Jonnty posted:

But it IS that draconian, loads of people get fined/charged-the-special-'we hate you'-fare by virtue of not being able to buy their tickets at a broken machine.

Hell, I've had it happen to me, although he gave me the option of getting off at the next stop, which was thankfully where I was getting off anyway.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

SybilVimes posted:

But it IS that draconian, loads of people get fined/charged-the-special-'we hate you'-fare by virtue of not being able to buy their tickets at a broken machine.

Hell, I've had it happen to me, although he gave me the option of getting off at the next stop, which was thankfully where I was getting off anyway.

I was thinking more about the e-ticket bought on the train thing, but yeah, I guess it's kind of the same. Although in Scotland even if the machine's working you can buy one on the train, it only really matters if there's a ticket office that's open.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Bozza - I take it this essay is going to go the way of the level-crossing post :p

StarkingBarfish posted:

If you board the train and the first thing you do is explain to the conductor what has happened, they're more than happy to invalidate the ticket themselves. It's only if you take the piss and wait a few stops that they'll shaft you.

Genuinely don't understand - hows it remotely cheeky to wait for them to come to you, I'd think it a bit weird to go bounding up to them at the start of a journey saying I bought it on my phone instead of on the platform or whatever, especially if that's offered as an alternative. Although I suppose it's not surprising that a "Revenue Protection Inspector" or what have you would consider it cheeky not to run up to them immediately and beg forgiveness.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

In tangentially train related news, I got through to The Chain on Radcliffe and Maconie today on 6 Music, and ended up chatting about HS2 for a bit!

Obviously, this doesn't have a lot to add to this thread, but I was so excited I'm basically telling everyone. I was on at about 2:15ish (so and hour and a quarter in).

re electrification / batteries etc, other than making my media debut, I've been super busy today. New project ahoy! Watch out Liverpool Lime Street, I'm coming for you...

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Wootcannon posted:

Bozza - I take it this essay is going to go the way of the level-crossing post :p

Genuinely don't understand - hows it remotely cheeky to wait for them to come to you, I'd think it a bit weird to go bounding up to them at the start of a journey saying I bought it on my phone instead of on the platform or whatever, especially if that's offered as an alternative. Although I suppose it's not surprising that a "Revenue Protection Inspector" or what have you would consider it cheeky not to run up to them immediately and beg forgiveness.

It's a little different to the UK, and hence the confusion. In Switzerland (and in some other EU countries, Italy for example), the onus is on you to ensure that you have a valid ticket the moment you step onto the train. If you don't, you shouldn't be on there. If it's a genuine fault you're expected to tell the conductor immediately, and he/she is waiting outside the train from the moment the doors are open until they close.

While the culture in the UK is that the conductor is a service rep there to do your legwork, in Switzerland it's a different matter.

The phone problem I agree is a different story- that person had no reason to believe that they were travelling without a valid ticket. The case I'm referring to is the people who board with an unfranked ticket. I've done it a couple of times, once when the train was seconds from leaving and I didn't have time to stamp it, and once when the machine was broken. On both cases finding the conductor meant I didn't get a fine.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Dual mode trains are probably going to get rolled out as part of the intercity express programme so that trains can, say, run to Edinburgh on electricity and then up to Inverness on diesel.
The problem with dual mode is that when you're under wires, you're dragging round a heavy diesel engine and fuel tank that isn't doing anything except wearing out the track and taking energy to accelerate. This would be even worse with batteries, their energy density is around 1/30 of that of diesel.
If we're going to store energy on board, this way would be much more fun http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrobus

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Endjinneer posted:

If we're going to store energy on board, this way would be much more fun http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrobus

You're in luck! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parry_People_Mover

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

Dual mode trains are probably going to get rolled out as part of the intercity express programme so that trains can, say, run to Edinburgh on electricity and then up to Inverness on diesel.
The problem with dual mode is that when you're under wires, you're dragging round a heavy diesel engine and fuel tank that isn't doing anything except wearing out the track and taking energy to accelerate. This would be even worse with batteries, their energy density is around 1/30 of that of diesel.

What's the comparison of energy density once you actually factor in the weight of the diesel engines though? Those things are loving heavy...

Also when you said Gyrobus, I was intensely disappointed it wasn't a roadgoing version of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_monorail

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

That's awesome. I love that the part about failure modes totally fails to address the huge loving disk of spinning metal at the center of every carriage.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Bozza et al, read this: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=4470

Why does the transport industry use such bizarre language? Alight, disembark and so on. Is it just a matter of standardisation?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
That isn't bizarre language, it's merely antiquated.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

quote:

Signalman stuck in a toilet: Network Rail apologies

Network Rail has apologised after a signalman got stuck in a toilet, causing delays to train services.

Passengers were inconvenienced after contact was lost with the signal box at Henwick in Worcester.

The driver of the 15:13GMT Hereford to London service got out of his train and walked to the signal box to investigate.

It was then discovered the signalman was stuck in the Victorian building's outside toilet.

A Network Rail spokesman apologised for the inconvenience caused to passengers by the unusual episode on 6 February.

He said: "Much of the railway is still controlled from Victorian signal boxes, which often have outside loos.

"Our plans to modernise the railway will see control moved to state-of-the-art regional control centres, where unfortunate incidents such as this simply wouldn't be an issue.

"We apologise to anyone whose journey was delayed or disrupted as a result."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-21410006

Never forget just how old our rail infrastructure is, and why continuing investment is very loving important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

I just verified a plan which closes all the Victorian boxes on that line. Modular signalling is going to be the death knell of that style box sadly :(

• Locked thread