Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Hot and Sour soup - will it freeze well? I'm assuming no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
Does anyone here know anything about how to make the ultimate food known as purple sticky rice?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Do you mean that brown-black sticky rice? It's pretty chewy and needs to soak and steam long. I've mostly had it as a dessert. Soak in boiling water, then steam it until tender then pour over warm, sweetened coconut milk. I use the microwave. Full speed for three minutes, uncover and stir with chopsticks, add water if necessary. Repeat for as many times as it takes to get tender.

Save a bit of the coconut milk and pour over when it's cooled down. It turns gloriously purple, so I'm betting that's what you're thinking of. Have it with some fruit on top, mangoes and lychees are awesome. Ginkgo nut is a but weird, but also common. Nothing beats ripe mango, though.

e: holy poo poo, I just remembered dino said you can whip full-fat coconut milk. It would make an awesome garnish for this.

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 29, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

kru posted:

Hot and Sour soup - will it freeze well? I'm assuming no.

I've never tried but soups usually freeze quite well. I would go for it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm going to be home in a few days and I'd like to make beef and tomato dumplings for my family. I can make my own dumpling skins, but I'm not sure about what's in the dumplings, beyond the obvious. I've never seen this filling in the U.S. before. Anyone know a beef and tomato dumpling recipe?

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.
I have to thank this thread for introducing me to Lao Gan Ma. I picked some up today and it's so delicious I can already think of a hundred things I want to add it to.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm going to be home in a few days and I'd like to make beef and tomato dumplings for my family. I can make my own dumpling skins, but I'm not sure about what's in the dumplings, beyond the obvious. I've never seen this filling in the U.S. before. Anyone know a beef and tomato dumpling recipe?

I have never heard of this. And I'm really curious.

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011

Two Worlds posted:

I have never heard of this. And I'm really curious.

I would also like to hear more.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Beef and tomato dumplings have become my favorite frozen dumplings. Not exactly gourmet food but I have so many cheap options around where I live that it's hard to justify the time and expense of cooking and cleaning up at home. So I keep some frozen dumplings on hand for when I don't feel like walking two minutes. From what I can tell the core ingredients are ground beef, sliced wood ear mushrooms, diced (stewed?) tomatoes and the omnipresent scallions. Maybe some bits of garlic? I was wondering if anyone ha a recipe so I don't have to recreate it from scratch for my family, because making dumplings for four is a fairly large undertaking. Maybe I'll make the usual batches of pork/cabbage and pork/shrimp dumplings and make a small batch of beef&tomato filling to try it out.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Ive tried making various tomato dumplings and they always end up a soggy mess. I would love to know how to make them.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Aero737 posted:

Ive tried making various tomato dumplings and they always end up a soggy mess. I would love to know how to make them.

I've never made them, but I found this recipe:

http://www.xiachufang.com/recipe/227128/

You're supposed to cut a cross in the tomatoes, boil the them for a bit, drain them, peel them and then chop them up. I guess that gets rid of some of the sogginess. The recipe also warns against adding too much tomato juice and suggests straining the meat/veggie mixture after it's mixed to get rid of excess liquid.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Skip the gooey cores and just use the firm flesh.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
This certainly wouldn't be traditional, but why not seed and roast whole canned tomatoes to get them as dry as possible?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Requesting more traditional Chinese New Year dishes. We already got some dumplings.

Also post your favorite char siu recipe!

I like the one from Ellen Leong Blonder’s Dim Sum book.

1/4tsp. pink salt (curing salt)
2Tbl. hoisin sauce (preferably Koon Chun brand)
2Tbl. catsup (I know, I know)
2Tbl. honey +1 more for glazing
8 oz. boneless country style pork ribs cut in long inch-wide strips. Or you could multiply the recipe and use pork tenderloin.

Mix all the saucey stuff together and marinate pork in ziploc bag in the fridge for 1-3 hours or overnight. The pink salt will give it that pink color without adding food coloring. Then cook on a broiling pan in a 400 degree oven for 25-30m, brush with honey and broil it until you get a nice char on the outside. Cut and serve.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 6, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Aero737 posted:

Freeze the stuffing in portioned amounts, then cook them.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I know this is a bit out of place, but some one gave me a packet of "mixed conjee" as a bit of a joke and I would like to make it. It does not have english instructions.

http://i.imgur.com/OpecG8h.jpeg

I assume you just boil it in some amount of water for some amount of time? My understanding of conjee is that this might be many many hours... how close am I?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

It says first to soak it in water for 1-2 hours, take it out and in a different pot I guess add an "appropriate" amount of water and get it to boil under a high flame. Once it's boiling, turn down the flame. Make sure to keep stirring the whole time to stop it from sticking, keep it up till it's all sticky and together. Add sugar or brown sugar if you want and serve immediately.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Let's cook a food.

土豆盐煎 Salt-fried potatoes

I think this is another Sichuan dish cause I've never seen it anywhere else. It's uncharacteristically not spicy and does not use Sichuan peppercorn!

What you need

1. Meat, beef is the usual suspect but pork or lamb will also work fine. I use pork usually. You want a cut of pork without a lot of fat or bones.
  2. Potatoes, 3-4
  3. Green onions, 3-4
  4. Green Peppers
  5. Garlic
  6. Ginger
  7. Salt
  8. Chili sauce (Lao Gan Ma works great)

The first thing you want to do is slice your meat really thin and get some water boiling. Once the water is boiling, throw the meat in and blanch it for a minute or two, not too long. Dredge the meat out and throw it in a bowl. Here you want to throw bit of salt on it and mix it all around. You can also add other spices if you want (Cumin works great). Rub it in and let it sit.

Now slice your potatoes into very thin slices. At this point it's a good idea to do the rest of your chopping as well. Get the wok super hot, add some oil, and add the meat back in. Fry it up until its crispy and put it back into a bowl and throw some lao gan ma, soy sauce and maybe a but more salt and let it sit again.

Clean out you wok and heat it back up with a very generous amount of oil. Once that gets hot, throw some of the garlic and ginger in followed by the potatoes. Now, at this point it's important you start stirring and never stop. The potatoes will stick to the wok regardless of how well seasoned it is if you let them sit for to long in one spot and lose the nice crispiness we want. After the potatoes are golden brown, toss in the green onions and peppers and let it all cook up a bit. Add in the meat, some more salt, MSG if you want it and some more lao gan ma and stir it up all nice. The potatoes should be crispy-ish, but pretty soft and floppy overall.

If I could make one change to how I made this, it would be to add some more salt in while you make the potatoes. My potatoes were the right consistency when I had this, but lacked the nice potato chippy saltiness I they've had when I've had this dish before.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Magna Kaser posted:

It says first to soak it in water for 1-2 hours, take it out and in a different pot I guess add an "appropriate" amount of water and get it to boil under a high flame. Once it's boiling, turn down the flame. Make sure to keep stirring the whole time to stop it from sticking, keep it up till it's all sticky and together. Add sugar or brown sugar if you want and serve immediately.

Thank you Magna Kaser! I will give that a go later this week.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

Now, at this point it's important you start stirring and never stop. The potatoes will stick to the wok regardless of how well seasoned it is if you let them sit for to long in one spot and lose the nice crispiness we want.

Stir frying potatoes is a real bitch.

I'm going to try and make tomato dumplings tonight, I'll report back how it goes, I'll try the straining the gooey part methods as I dont' have a big enough freezer to freeze all my individual portioned dumpling fillings.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

My roommate has a big bag of dried scallops, what should I do with them? Never encountered them as an ingredient.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Stir fry with napa. Kai yang bai cai. http://www.whats4eats.com/vegetables/kai-yang-bai-cai-recipe
Use the scallops instead of shrimp. At home we don't add sugar or soy and add a bit of milk.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I like them best in sweet sticky rice. They definitely have a strong flavor though. Make sure to soak them in water for a long time before using them, and then break them apart. I've heard of people soaking them in cooking wine as well.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

bamhand posted:

Stir fry with napa. Kai yang bai cai. http://www.whats4eats.com/vegetables/kai-yang-bai-cai-recipe
Use the scallops instead of shrimp. At home we don't add sugar or soy and add a bit of milk.

This sounds like a good thing to try them out with, thanks.

Also AriTheDog, a long time being roughly how long? A few hours?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

NLJP posted:

This sounds like a good thing to try them out with, thanks.

Also AriTheDog, a long time being roughly how long? A few hours?

Sorry, yeah. Until soft and falling apart. I just do everything in the kitchen by braille, I'm the wrong person to ask.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

AriTheDog posted:

Sorry, yeah. Until soft and falling apart. I just do everything in the kitchen by braille, I'm the wrong person to ask.

No worries, I'll do it by feel then blame you if it goes wrong. Should I just discard the soaking liquid or can I use it like stock in the final dish? Will the liquid just be gross?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Toss a handful into zhou as it boils. They lend a delicious fishy salty taste. Top with soy and slurp that poo poo up.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
I got my wok today. Understandably excited, I stripped the factory coat and started seasoning immediately.

It turns out that the smoke detector in my apartment works.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
I don't have a good Asian market anywhere near me; is there a decent place to buy some stuff online? I'm guessing the liquids are going to be harder to get a hold of, but even being able to find some Szechuan peppercorns would be a big deal.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Honey Badger posted:

I don't have a good Asian market anywhere near me; is there a decent place to buy some stuff online? I'm guessing the liquids are going to be harder to get a hold of, but even being able to find some Szechuan peppercorns would be a big deal.

If you live in the US Amazon literally has everything.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

I am heading home to help take care of family for a bit. I want to make fish soup with preserved egg and cilantro (pei dan yu ping tong), but the person I would ask for the nitty gritty details is the one I am taking care of and she's probably going to be sleeping a lot.

I'll be in So CA near Baldwin Park, so I can reach a lot of Asian markets.

Do I need to blanch the fish bones? Will Asian markets carry bags of fish bones? Are there any fish bones I shouldn't use?

I'm planning to simmer the bones with ginger and hopefully make a huge pot of it.

Uh, which white fish filet should I be using?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Generally buy whole fish that look good. Fatty fish like mackerel and eel make very strong broths so I'd look for things like pollock, flounder and flatfish, and other firm white fish. Pollock makes a very good soup. Try to score some extra fish heads, those make very good soup and are considered a special treat.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Hey more food.

卤肉 Stewed Meat

This is a pretty simple recipe but is very versatile in what you can do with it. Pronounced Lu3Rou4, this dish originally comes from Shandong but in the present is synonymous with Taiwan cuisine as about a zillion Shandong people fled escaped went on a still-not-over vacation to Taiwan in 1949.

Ingredients
  1. Beef or mutton. You can use pretty much any cut you'd like, though beef shank seems to be the most commonly used. Because we're stewing it probably best to not go with super expensive cuts.
  2. Ginger
  3. Cinnamon/Cassia
  4. Green onions
  5. Bay leaves
  6. Star Anise
  7. Salt, Sugar and MSG
  8. Soy sauce
  9. Cooking wine/Shaoxing Wine

Depending on the size of your pot and how big your cut of meat is, you may want to start by cutting the meat into more manageable chunks. That done, poke a bunch of holes in the meat with your knife or fork or whatever. Blanch the meat in rapidly boiling water for about 5 minutes, drain, rinse and cool.

In your pot, put the meat, about 4-5 star anise, one or two sticks of cinnamon, a good helping of ginger, a couple bay leaves, a 1:1 mixture of soy sauce and cooking wine (About 2/3 a cup to one cup depending on how much meat you're cooking), some chopped onions and a bit of sugar if you want. Stick the cooled meat in and throw in enough water so the meat is just almost submerged, get the water boiling and then turn down the heat and let it simmer for 1-2hours.

Once its tender, turn off the heat and let the meat cool before taking it out. If you're impatient you can put it in the fridge, but make sure it's still in the liquid as it cools. Once it's cool you can do one of a zillion things with it. Here are some suggestions:

Eat it as a cold appetizer!
In China, cold meat appetizers are very common and lurou is a pretty common one in Taiwan and Shandong. Slice it in thin slices against the grain and serve. You can also make a dipping sauce of garlic, soy sauce and vinegar (chilies too if you like spicy).

Lu rou fan
Probably the most commonly eaten form of Lurou in China, is Lurou Fan. The quintessential Taiwanese dish, it's scarfed down by millions every day as a cheap and nice lunch from many roadside vendors. Take your meat and dice it, get a wok hot and stir fry it with vegetables of your choosing. Add in some soy, ginger, garlic and starch to thicken up the sauce and serve over rice. Usually paired with a Lu dan (Hardboiled egg, usually hard boiled in the same kind of liquid you stew your meat in).

Soup
Lu rou is a great starter for soup. Throw a few bones in and some extra water, a few more onions maybe, and you'll have a decent soup stock. A common lu rou soup will have onions, some sort of pickled vegetable (xue cai 雪菜), and tomatoes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Why do you blanch the meat instead of searing it?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It's basically like skimming the stock. This kind of braised meat doesn't traditionally call for searing the meat, and as the broth thickens and the meat simmers for hours you really don't feel it's missing, either.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Has anyone ever gotten ShanXiLaoChenCu (Shanxi aged vinegar) in the US? I see some bottles on amazon but their reviews are not so good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Aero737 posted:

Has anyone ever gotten ShanXiLaoChenCu (Shanxi aged vinegar) in the US? I see some bottles on amazon but their reviews are not so good.

yeah, I bought some "aged black vinegar" a year ago because I literally have to try every single ingredient I ever see in any store ever - my bottle looks like this :

I've used it several times in stirfrys / vinegar sauces. I even made pop-sickles from it which turned out ok. it's got a really unique strong taste - I wouldn't go out of my way to find it. It's really just like shaoxing wine, but more concentrated and complex. and vinegary. shaoxing mixed with a little rice wine vinegar and sugar would be an acceptable substitute. if you add enough sugar to it, it tastes like balsamic

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Zhenjiang vinegar is even more similar to balsamic vinegar, it's almost uncanny. And of course it's great for sprinkling on crab :d

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Also mix with some soy sauce and use as dumpling dip.

edit: oh wait you mean the sweetish almost treacle-like stuff? There's definitely two kinds of black vinegar, the more balsamic style and a heavily fermented far less sweet more traditionally 'vinegary' type. Both come from Zhejiang and the latter is what I use with soy sauce for dipping :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Not Zhčjiang ( 浙江), the province surrounding Shanghai, but Zhčnjiang (镇江), a city in Jiangsu province. Which is confusingly enough the neighbour province of Zhčjiang. :B