Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Smasher's Hated All-Stars

Awhile ago Smasher ran a competition for best allstar/theme team, which indirectly produced the cobourns. This is the team that I would have liked to enter. All credit thanks go to Ultimo Dragon Quest for the idea and many suggestions

C: Ivan Rodriquez
1B: Napelon Lajoie
2B: Riggs Stephenson
3B: George Brett
SS: Joe Sewell

LF: Riggs Stephenson
CF: Bernie Williams
RF: Sam Crawford

Bench: Ray Schalk?
Bench:
Bench: Chick Hafey
Bench: Gavvy Cravath
Bench: Steve Bartman

SP 1: Addie Joss (1910)
SP 2:
SP 3:
SP 4: Jimmy loving Key
SP 5: Bob Veale

CL:
SU: Jaokim Soria
SR: Al McBean
SR:
MR:
LR:

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
how could you exclude Al McBean

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Picking the Imperialists and Oranges in the Gauntlet.

As for the wildcard games, I'll take the Unspecifieds 5-2 in the DL, and the Mashers in an upset special, 4-1.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Pretty sure you just include the Bloggers entire roster.

Also that obituary is good.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I want to read that 10 Cartoons from the '90s article.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Smasher, it's time to open the envelope

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The Pick 'Em: A Tradition!

Pick TWO!
Burma Imperialists
New England Arguments

Pick the winner, and score of the game!
Antarctica Unspecifieds, 5-2
New Orleans Mashers, 7-3

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Pick 'em

Imperialists
Oranges

Coburns 5-3
Landers 6-5

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Can't open the envelope on a Sunday, CthulhuDreams! The stores are all closed!

Anyway, a thought occurs to me. Even more than usual, I have no idea what to write for the Air Raids obit. And so, I'm going to throw it open to a contest, with the best entry getting a pick in the Dispersal Draft.

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012
The Pick 'Em: A Tradition!

Pick TWO!
Burma Imperialists
Springfield Softballers

Coburns over Unspecs 5-1
Landers over Mashers 6-4

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Wildcard Showdown Sunday!

Time for the world's fastest update, as these are both one-game playoffs for spots in the Division round.

Up first, the Dynamo League Wildcard game...

First, let's see the predictions:
Predicted final scores in parentheses

Coburns

Armitage (JAC) (5-1)
cbx (DEC) (4-3)
CVE (MDM) (5-2)
GabrielPope (OMA) (5-3)
GrickleGrass (MAN) (4-2)
Monathin (CNT) (7-3)
NotThatSamBeckett (PAR) (5-1)
Pander (SAD) (7-2)
theacox (CER) (11-7)

Antarctica Unspecifieds

gingemidget (WAL) (5-2)
mooseontheloose (HRV) (5-2)

Clearly, people like the Coburns a lot in this game, especially when you consider that the two picks for the Unspecifieds both came pretty late, meaning that they appear to be more about trying to take advantage of everyone else picking the Coburns more than having any faith in the Unspecifieds. Let's see the results...

Don May posted:

COBURNS EXPLODE FOR FIVE RUNS IN SEVENTH, WIN GAME 5-4

The Dome- In a battle of faith in James Coburn against faith in the purity of sport over society, James Coburn fired a metaphorical bullet right into the head of the blackmongoose, as the Coburns used a late rally to move onto the divisional round 5-4.

The Unspecifieds had held a 3-0 lead going into the top of the seventh, but that's when things abruptly fell apart, where two singles and an error set up a Larkin home run that gave the Coburns a 4-3 lead. Moments later, another error allowed another run to score, giving the Coburns a 5-3 lead that the Unspecifieds could not overcome, and that ended their season.

blackmongoose, whose Unspecifieds have still never won a playoff game, vowed that he would have his revenge next year, "The great communist-fascist-capitalist-anarchist conspiracy that seeks to keep down this revolutionary team will never succeed. We are the union of society and sport, and that is a power that cannot be denied eventually. For many seasons, we were an after thought. Last season, we survived, but did not make the playoffs. This year, our dreams were cut short in the first round. These are disappointing results, but they show an undeniable progression. The time will come when the divisive colors of the world are stripped, and a uniform sea of white blankets the entire world, a snow of peace to blanket this stained world. Soon...but not today."

The owner of the Coburns, Warm Sarsaparilla, attributed his victory to, "The will of Coburn, who has guided me this far, and decided that the Coburns must now continue on in their holy mission. The Bangers, faithless and monstrous, loom before us, and we will teach them an important lesson in the stark inability of man to control his own fate. Marauder thinks himself a man of destiny, who can bend the Super-League to his whims. No man has that power, not me, not him, not even Smasher Dynamo. The only one who decides who wins and who loses is Coburn, and, if I may be so bold, I believe that the time has come for James Coburn to strike the Bangers down for their unforgivable arrogance!"

Asked why, out of any of his starters, Sonny Siebert was called upon to start the game, given Siebert's struggles this season, Sarsaparilla defended the decision, "There are no mistakes. Whether Siebert should or should not have started that game, he did, and he was marvelous. I have no regrets, for now all of my regular starters are fully rested for out final battle with the Bangers."

Marauder, who was scheduled to play the winner, was in attendance for the game, and had a few remarks of his own, "Ah, so it is the Coburns is it? That's good, because beating the Unspecifieds into a bloody pulp had grown a bit tiresome. And, what's better, these Coburns have a little god of their own. That's good news. Causing owners to doubt themselves is fun, but by the time I'm done with the Coburns, I intend to shake their faith in their god himself. That is the sort of challenge I live for. It should prove a diverting experience while I'm waiting for my destined revenge against the Losers. Yes, I must say, I approve of this turn of events. How wonderful!"

GAME NOTES

-Barry Larkin, as always, was a hero.

-The Unspecifieds outhit the Coburns 14-7, but the Coburns drew more walks and hit more power than the Antarctica club, proving just how effective a lineup with power and patience can be in the right hands.

-Both teams will survive until Super-League VIII, there to continue their new rivalry.

Box Score

And now for the Smasher League...

New Orleans Mashers

gingemidget (WAL) (4-1)
GrickleGrass (MAN) (6-3)
mooseontheloose (HRV) (7-3)

Luna Landers

Armitage (JAC) (8-3)
cbx (DEC) (5-2)
CVE (MDM) (7-3)
Gabriel Pope (OMA) (6-5)
Monathin (CNT) (4-0)
NotThatSamBeckett (PAR) (6-4)
Pander (SAD) (3-1)
theacox (CER) (5-3)

The big money is on the Landers to win this game, and it's not hard to see why. The Landers are just fundamentally a better team, and outplayed the Mashers during the regular season. Of course, in one game, anything can happen.

Don May posted:

LANDERS OUTLAST MASHERS, WIN 2-1 ON NOMAR WALK-OFF SINGLE

Moonbase 0-2- Once upon a time, CraigK thought his Mashers were doomed, and pondered whether to just pack it in and try again during Super-League X.

A few weeks later, he was just three outs from taking the wildcard game to extra innings, giving them a chance to enter the divisional round of the playoffs.

The Mashers, it should be said, had suffered something of a power outage in this game, scoring only on a Matt Williams home run. But Bob Gibson, not the pitcher CraigK had wanted to start this game, but perhaps the one he needed, was able to hold down the Landers to a single run of their own.

Unfortunately for the Mashers, they did not have home-field advantage, so the Landers would have the chance to end the game in the bottom of the ninth. Compounding to the difficulty, the Mashers did not have the strongest bullpen in the world, and they had no stomach to use Billy Wagner here and leave themselves high and dry in extra innings, when, because they were on the road, a save situation would, if they had any chance of winning, be nigh-inevitable. So Jason Motte would have to be the one to take the Mashers to a tenth inning.

Up first, the best catcher in human history, Josh Gibson, and he was looking to start off the inning right. And he did, hitting an infield single to short as Alex Rodriguez simply could not get to the ball fast enough, likely due to his shipment of "supplements" being held up by the Moon Customs Office. But Motte reasserted himself, and retired Manny Ramirez and Hank Aaron to leave Gibson still at first, now with just one out left to get in the inning. Things certainly looked manageable. But the Landers were not out of tricks, as George Brett hit a single to center, putting Gibson at third. That brought up Nomar, and he was in no mood to wait. On the first pitch of the at-bat, Nomar smacked a sharp single into left field, scoring Josh Gibson, and giving the Landers a walk off win. It was the first playoff victory in mrnoun's career as an owner.

Obviously, he was excited by that, "It's been so drat long. So loving long. I deserved this seasons ago, but you all worked against me. You derided me, mocked me. You all let scum like Bruzer, and the corporations, and that talentless hack Grinnblade, who I am going to annihilate next season, just like I did with his last crappy team. It's finally time I took what was mine, and that is the Super-League Championship. Just like prog rock, it was only a matter of time before the universe came to its senses, and put the best back on top. I know the W's are waiting for me in the next round, but I don't care. I've faced the W's before, and I haven't been impressed impressed. Jack McDowell doesn't win championships. Eri Yoshida doesn't win championships. The Sainted Mark Bellhorn doesn't win championships and, even if he did, I've got a copy of my own. No. It's time the Super-League finally got a champion it deserves, someone with talent, someone with actually creative ability, and someone who isn't just a lucky moron who Smasher takes pity on. The moon is going to rise on all of you."

CraigK was more succinct, "God drat it!"

GAME NOTES

-Tim Raines stole four bases on Joe Torre's mediocre throwing arm.

-Eddie Collins, Manny Ramirez, and Hank Aaron went a combined 0-for-12 with no walks. And the Landers still won.

Box Score

Pick 'em FOREVER!
Pick the winner, the number of games (best-of-five), and score of the final game
Luna Landers @ South Bolton Eazy W's
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ Lombard St. Gumshoes
Coburns @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
Rockford Losers @ Cancun Tornados

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Pick 'em FOREVER!
Pick the winner, the number of games (best-of-five), and score of the final game
Luna Landers @ South Bolton Eazy W's
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ Lombard St. Gumshoes
Coburns @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
Rockford Losers @ Cancun Tornados

South Bolton in 4 games, Final 5-3.
Gumshoes in 4 games, Final 4-3.
Fukuoka in 3 games, Final 5-0.
Cancun in 5 games, Final 7-5.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Well, that was a terrible round of picks.

Pick 'em FOREVER!
Luna Landers @ South Bolton Eazy W's in 4, 8-5
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ Lombard St. Gumshoes in 3, 3-1
Coburns @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers in 4, 6-2
Rockford Losers @ Cancun Tornados in 5, 4-2

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Luna Landers @ South Bolton Eazy W's 3-7
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ Lombard St. Gumshoes 6-5
Coburns @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers 6-4
Rockford Losers @ Cancun Tornados 0-4

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Pick 'em FOREVER!
Luna Landers @ South Bolton Eazy W's in 4, 3-2
Finger Lakes Phoenixes in 3, 1-0 @ Lombard St. Gumshoes
Coburns @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers in 5, 2-1
Rockford Losers in 4, 2-1 @ Cancun Tornados

also I put numbers in the wildcard matches:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3499603&perpage=40&pagenumber=128#post412152202

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Pick 'em FOREVER!

Luna in 4 / 6-5
Lombard in 5 / 7 -3
Coburns in 3 / 4 -1
Rockford in 4 / 7 -5

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Pick 'em FOREVER!
Luna Landers , 5, 4-3
Lombard St. Gumshoes,5 , 6-2
Fukuoka Finger-Bangers, 4 , 2-1
Cancun Tornados, 4 , 8-5

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
And you all laughed when I spent the entire offseason trying to replace Nomar! Well, who's laughing now? Wait, that doesn't work.

I guess I can turn my "stealing bases" slider down a bit, since the W's have--

ForeverBWFC posted:

#9: Ted Simmons (C)

--oh. Uh, leave it at +5!

EDIT: Smasher, if you need me to tag in for a couple more obits this year, let me know.

mrnoun fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 4, 2013

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

mrnoun posted:

EDIT: Smasher, if you need me to tag in for a couple more obits this year, let me know.

I probably will. I'm guessing the Smokers and the Dervishes if one or both of them get relegated.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

mrnoun posted:

And you all laughed when I spent the entire offseason trying to replace Nomar! Well, who's laughing now? Wait, that doesn't work.

I guess I can turn my "stealing bases" slider down a bit, since the W's have--

--oh. Uh, leave it at +5!

If Ted gets a series-winning home-run, you will pay for your impudence! Also, the rest of my infield has pretty good arms, so give me those sweet double plays!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I properly bet on the wildcard match and you refused to change the numbers. As proof, look at this post:

Senerio posted:

The correct score for the landers

As such, I am forced to conclude this is all a conspiracy directly against me and not just some oversight.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Owner: ManifunkDestiny
Home Grounds: Olympic Stadium

Teams Used
2000 San Francisco Giants
2011 Arizona Diamondbacks
2012 Los Angeles Angels

Past Records
Expansion Cup VII
64-99, 5th Place, Laissez-Faire Division
Super-League VIII
51-86, 5th Place, Norris Smythe Division, Gauntletted
Gauntlet VII
Round 1: 16-24, 4th Place, Relegated

Titles Won
1x Heavyweight
1x Television

Obituary
Next up on VH1, Behind the Music: The Air Raids

From an early age, ManifunkDestiny knew he was different. He didn't play sports like the other boys, nor did he study for class. Rules that society had put in place to guide and nurture him were meaningless. He had one vision, and that vision was to rock.

Barry, Family Friend/Human Fathead Poster: Yeah, it was pretty obvious from the start that he wasn't on the same wavelength as everyone else. He just had this...aura about himself. Like he was going to explode, make it big time.

Growing up in Seattle should have provided the inspiration and direction he needed to translate his teen angst into rock'n'roll gold as the grunge wave lifted the city to new acclaim. However, he shunned the burgeoning source of hit albums and new stars.

Mike, High School Friend: It'd be all Nirvana or Soundgarden or STP playing before homeroom when the students got to choose to the music, and MD would be all "Seriously? Really? This isn't pure rock. This is trash." It was kinda whiny. Like, little-bitch whiny. But you could see he drew inspiration from it anyway, a lot of determination.

He had his own vision for the future of rock: bagpipe quintet. With surprising urgency, ManifunkDestiny formed a band of his own, calling upon local musicians eager for a sea change. Five players answered the call. With equal ambition despite unequal talent, they practiced relentlessly.

Whitey, Lead Bagpipist: He was a real slavedriver. Perfectionist. Made him hard to like, but you had to respect his motor, man. Lots of respect. He was real messed up, I bet someone diddled him when he was a kid. That doesn't have anything to do with his determination, I just think he got diddled. He looked the type.

Dan, Frequent Terrible Member: I don't get it brah, MD was all "you should play bagpipes." I tried, but I dunno, I wasn't really good. He kicked me out for a while, then asked me to come back...I was just happy to get some groupie action sometimes, y'know?

Despite his tenacity, success was slow to arrive. With so many grunge bands destined for stardom, ManifunkDestiny's embrace of a traditional Scottish instrument five times over seemed alternatively too old fashioned and too avant garde. But his band, now named Kilt To Death, dutifully played the Seattle underground club scene. The growing buzz over the hardworking quintet led an enterprising record company CEO to catch a show.

Jeff, Terrible Manager, Worse Human Being: When I heard The Drone Mosh, I thought yeah, wow, #1 hit. That right there. Boom goes the dynamite. But the band name had to change, it was a pun.

The band was signed the following week, changing their name to The Air Raids as per Kent's suggestion. After a self-titled debut released to little fanfare, Kent dropped them, claiming he always knew it was a terrible band concept. But that didn't stop the Air Raids.

Zack, Bagpipist: I entered a deep depression. I wanted to die.

They toured in support of their album, drawing new fans all over Washington State. It was then that ManifunkDestiny came to understand what went wrong with their initial big-label debut: their setting.

Lefty, Bagpipist: MD realized that Seattle was a grunge town. Ain't nothin but grunge gonna make it in that burg. It's for suckers to try a bagpipe outfit there.

They packed their bag for the nearest town that seemed to embrace the underground bagpipe sound they produced so magnificently: Spokane.

No Image of Spokane Available, Anywhere

They were an instant smash hit. Fame overwhelmed MD, which led to his immediate slide into an obsession with hard liquor and drugs.

Jered, Bagpipist: He started hanging out with my brother a lot, really disconnected from the world. It used to be about the bagpiping with him, but it turned into, I don't know, just all about the blow.

He spiraled out of control, firing, hiring, re-firing, and re-hiring members at a whim. The manager position became a revolving door.

: George, Manager: I thought it'd be an honor to join the most respected, acclaimed bagpipe quintet in the world. It was a nightmare. All I really remember was yelling, money, hookers, and failure. Lots of failure. I got canned because nobody showed up to do their jobs. I ain't never seen such a travesty, cause they all had talent and it was all wasted.

And just when things seemed darkest and the band seemed destined to implode, they were afforded one last opportunity: a battle of the bands style competition named The Gauntlet.

Vida, Bagpipist: We thought "this is it. This is when we pull it together." We had faith, we had each other, we had our music. We could do it.

But they didn't. And the Spokane Air Raids were relegated.

Pander fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 4, 2013

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.
Pick 'Em
Luna Landers @ South Bolton Eazy W's 3 games F: 5-1
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ Lombard St. Gumshoes 5 games F: 3-2
Coburns @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers 4 games F: 6-3
Rockford Losers @ Cancun Tornados 5 games F: 4-1

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

me irl

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
I'll tally up the pick em score updates sometime tomorrow or maybe after the gauntlet update.

However, I'd like to point out Pander's post as he's failed to guess the number of games each series runs.

Pander posted:

Luna Landers @ South Bolton Eazy W's 3-7
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ Lombard St. Gumshoes 6-5
Coburns @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers 6-4
Rockford Losers @ Cancun Tornados 0-4

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Owner: ManifunkDestiny
Home Grounds: Olympic Stadium

Teams Used
2000 San Francisco Giants
2011 Arizona Diamondbacks
2012 Los Angeles Angels

Past Records
Expansion Cup VII
64-99, 5th Place, Laissez-Faire Division
Super-League VIII
51-86, 5th Place, Norris Smythe Division, Gauntletted
Gauntlet VII
Round 1: 16-24, 4th Place, Relegated

Titles Won
1x Heavyweight
1x Television

Obituary

Eri Yoshida grimaced, nonchalantly tossing a softball repeatedly in the air, while staring at a map of the United States.

"Alright, that jerk kw0134 told me that there was a city in Washington where a Super-League team played, and it WASN'T Seattle! But I can't find it! I swear that if he's messing with me again, I'll sick St. Bellhorn on him!"

Just then, a voice from above spoke omnipotently.

"Yoshida, unfortunately there is such a city. If there is a God, he cursed this city. Just imagine, a city closer to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho than Seattle or any other semblance of civilization. A city which boasts of a university named Gonzaga. A city forced to wither away under the stern, iron grasp of a mayor nicknamed Condom, as his real name is Condon. Can you imagine what kind of a sports team would be fielded from such a doomed city?"

Yoshida shook her head. Somehow, it almost seemed infathomable that life could flourish in such hellish conditions. Yet, the voice continued.

"We were witness to the Spokane Air Raids for all of one Super-League season. Their owner, a mysterious, most-likely-permanently-stoned man nicknamed ManifunkDestiny, decided that a team based around Barry Bonds and Mike Trout would somehow be a good idea. Well, Barry Bonds has traditionally been excellent through out the league's history, but one man does not a team make. Unless that man is TheMerryMarauder, but I digress. The Air Raids' pitching was absolute rubbish, their hitting was spotty at best, and their defense left a lot to the imagination. They were also forced to play their home games in Spokane, which I'm to believe is nearly as awful as Rochester, NY or Hartford, CT."

Yoshida nodded, shock apparent in her eyes as memories came flashing back to her.

"Oh crap, it does exist! kw0134... was right?! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

She ran from the room screaming, softball abandoned on the cold, hardwood floor. SmasherDynamo strolled in and collected the softball, hiding the lapel mic under his collar as he exited. Yoshida was so easy to mess around with. Everyone knew that there wasn't actually a Spokane, Washington. That place is too hellish to truly exist.

FIN

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Expansion Cup VIII Special Edition: Divisional Races/Dispersal Draft Order

September 17

Atlantis Examiner posted:

TO NO ONE'S SURPRISE, TIJUANA CLINCHES TL DOWNING WITH WIN

Atlantis -- It really was inevitable. The Tijuana Mules held a 15 game lead as the last month of Expansion Cup VIII began, so it was a question of "when", not "if" the Mules would win the Taggart League Downing Division.

That question was answered today as the Mules held off the Atlantis Aquamen 4-3 on a seven-inning gem from Stan Coveleski and a 3-run seven inning that featured a 2-run HR from Rich Aurilia.

You would figure that Tijuana Mules owner Bograt would be happy for his accomplishments in his debut Expansion Cup. Not so much: "Oh come on. This race was over at the loving All-Star Break, and we're gonna get our poo poo pushed in in the first round. At least the Dispersal Draft is based on overall win percentage. Hell, we barely even managed to beat a team that's not even advancing to the Super-League!"

Bograt's comments touched on an unfortunate reality of the Expansion Cup: two teams would not advance to Super-League IX due to owner abandonment. The Atlantis Aquamen were one of the teams, as NotQuiteQuentin has not been seen in months. A League-appointed replacement official would only state that "The Aquamen organization is doing its best to keep things in a holding pattern until the end of the regular season, at which time a decision will be made on what to do with the players on the roster. Thank you."

The Mules will take on the winner of the Taggart League Sele Division, where the CERN Colliders and the Omaha Forgettables are currently embroiled in a close race as we enter the home stretch of the season.

TIJUANA MULES INJURY REPORT
P John Wetteland - Out for TLCS, possibly ECCS (19 days)
SP Stan Coveleski - Out for TLCS, can probably return for ECCS (11 days)

September 21

Scientific American posted:

COLLIDERS CLINCH SELE DIVISION ON WILD PITCH

Large Hadron Collider -- The Colliders' experiment continues with a berth in the Expansion Cup VIII Playoffs as winners of the Taggart League Sele Division. However, the race very nearly came to last one more day, as both Greg Maddux of the Lovable Losers and CERN's own Waite Hoyt pitched deep into regulation, only giving up one run a piece to leave the score tied 1-1 heading into the eighth inning.

From there, the Losers would send Mitch Williams out to set up for Francisco Rodriguez, hoping that their offense would be able to get to a tiring Waite Hoyt. However, it was not to be, as Hoyt finished out the ninth inning without allowing another run. Rodriguez would send the game to extras by killing a CERN rally.

The game would remain tied until the bottom of the 11th inning, where the wheels would seemingly fall off the Losers' proverbial wagon. With Mark Severance on the mound (due to there being no other choice, presumably), the inning would begin with a walk issued to Eddie Mathews. Tony Lazzeri would advance him to second with a sacrifice bunt. Mark Koenig was then walked intentionally to bring up Lew Burdette, the current pitcher for CERN, but theacox would send out Nap Lajoie to pinch hit. Lajoie would hit a deep fly ball to right field that allowed Eddie Mathews to tag up and take third base.

On the first pitch of the next at-bat to Earle Combs, Mark Severance would sever the Losers from their hopes of winning with a fastball that sailed over catcher Joe Girardi's head, bringing home Mathews for the winning run.

After the game, theacox gave yet another long, barely understandable lecture on the statistical improbability of winning a division on a wild pitch. Not only was the content dense for most sports journalists, but the lecture was given between fits of hysterical laughter.

ScottyJSno, on the other hand, took it in stride. "Well, it is right in our name to lose. And let's face it, my pitching was tired out to the point where I had to send some 26-year old farm-league washout to the mound. This was probably not going to end well."

The Colliders will host the Tijuana Mules in the Taggart League Championship Series.

CERN COLLIDERS INJURY REPORT
SP Herb Pennock - 4 days (will probably miss start of series)

September 26

Walney Times posted:

POTATOES CLINCH ML LARKIN IN RATHER ANTI-CLIMACTIC FASHION

Walney, UK - Everything seemed poised for the McQueen League Larkin Division to come down to a final three-game set in Moscow between the Idaho Potatoes and the Miami Manatees, as they were tied for the lead on September 1st.

However, with a 6-1 win over the Walney Rakers today, the Idaho Potatoes would ensure that their homecoming would amount to little more than a victory lap and a couple of days off before the playoff preparation began in earnest.

Potatoes starter J.R. Richard pitched seven innings of shutout baseball, giving up only 5 hits and 2 walks while striking out 5.

After the game, in which his team's atrocious defense was once again called into question after giving up 17 hits to the Potatoes, gingemidget let forth with a stream of profanity that we have quite learned our lesson on printing, thank you very much, before then launching into another blue-streaked monologue on learning that the Rakers were also out of contention in the McQueen League Barreta Division.

Grinnblade's comments were far less obscene: "I understand that a lot of people will claim this divisional victory is the result of corruption in the office of the Expansion Cup. I have always, and will continue to, deny these claims outright and point to my handling of the Great Time Catastrophe last month as proof that I am running the Cup fairly and honestly. Hell, I could have let the Nowhere Men rot with 4/5ths of their rotation gone. I could have further murdered the Canton Catastrophes' dreams by shattering their outfield completely. But no, I even REACHED OUT and enlisted the aid of the Timelords to fix things up! And yet I remain vilified because of Smasher Dynamo's insistence on branding me as a moralless libertarian nutjob!"

Grinnblade's tirade would be cut short when he recieved word about the results of other games around the league. He looked down at the paper, saw a specific score, and visibly blanched, before muttering "We're completely hosed, aren't we?" and walking off.

The Potatoes will square off against the winner of the Barreta Division.

IDAHO POTATOES INJURY REPORT
No injured players as of September 30th

Detroit Free Press posted:

COUGARS CLAIM BARRETA DIVISION WITH 12-7 MAULING OF BEARD LEAGUERS

Detroit, MI - cbx's comeback is complete.

With a 12-7 victory over the rudderless RVA Beard Leaguers today, the Cougars closed the door on the Nowhere Men in what had been a hotly-contested race in the McQueen League Barreta Division.

For some reason, the Beard Leaguers play decent baseball only when it is inconvienent to their opponent to do so. That theory held true today, as the Beard Leaguers laid the hurt on Cougars starter Gaylord Perry, getting 5 runs on 9 hits, two of which were home runs. This offensive display is even more interesting considering that the Beard Leaguers quite literally are playing for nothing, as the League-appointed official in charge of keeping the Leaguers afloat has already gone on record as saying he "would rather stick a shotgun in (his) mouth" before the Beard Leaguers would make it to Super-League IX. This meant that even the Leaguers' horrid record, that has already clinched worst in the Cup, would not earn them the top overall pick in the Expansion Cup Dispersal Draft.

At any rate, the Cougars responded with an even more overpowering offense, shelling Bryn Smith for 8 runs on 10 hits in only five innings en route to the victory.

cbx, when asked for comment on facing the Potatoes in the McQueen League Championship Series, said this: "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-- oh, wait, you're serious. Listen, Grinnblade may have the system behind him, but let's be honest. The Harvard Elites, the team currently LAST in my division, would be in contention for the Larkin Division crown. The Potatoes are just a roadbump, and I look forward to contending for the Expansion Cup VIII crown, then we're gonna take this team to Super-League IX and right the wrongs of the Splinter Cells ONCE AND FOR ALL."

The Cougars will face the Idaho Potatoes in the McQueen League Championship Series.

DETROIT COUGARS INJURY REPORT
SS Billy Rogell - 7 days (so probably by Game 5 or so of the MLCS)

MCQUEEN LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES (Best out of 7)

IDAHO POTATOES versus DETROIT COUGARS

MCQUEEN LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES (Best out of 7)

TIJUANA MULES versus CERN COLLIDERS

Dispersal Draft Order

0) RVA Beard Leaguers (48-114)
1) Brooklyn BABiPs (64-98)
2) Patagonian Postmodernists (66-96, worse divisional win pct)
3) Canton Catastrophes (66-96)
3.5) Atlantis Aquamen (72-90)
4) Sad Pandas (77-85)
5) Lovable Losers (78-84)
6) Million Dollar Men (79-83)
7) Harvard Elites (81-81, worse divisional finish)
8) Miami Manatees (81-81)
9) Idaho Potatoes (87-75)
10) Walney Rakers (89-73, worse divisional finish)
11) Jacksonville Jobbers (89-73)
12) Tijuana Mules (90-72)
13) Omaha Forgettables (93-69)
14) Nowhere Men (95-67)
15) CERN Colliders (101-61)
16) Detroit Cougars (102-60)

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 4, 2013

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Luna Landers @ South Bolton Eazy W's in 4 3-7
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ Lombard St. Gumshoes in 5, 6-5
Coburns @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers in 4, 6-4
Rockford Losers @ Cancun Tornados in 5, 0-4

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Detroit Cougars

Alright, since my teams are notorious for not making it to any playoffs whatsoever, this has me worried.

If Rogell is out til game 5, well... it honestly doesn't matter 'cause he's a backup. Here's the lineup and rotation I'd like to see:

Gehringer - 2B
Fox - RF
Greenberg - 1B
Mays - CF
McCovey - LF
Cepeda - DH
Kuenn - SS
York - C
Hart - 3B

Mathewson - SP1
Perry - SP2
Marquard - SP3
Marichal - SP4

Spahn - Mopup

Henry - Closer
Linzy - Setup
Benton - SR
Rowe - SR
Stroud - MR
Bridges - MR
Tesreau - LR

Pick 'em FOREVER!
Luna Landers @ South Bolton Eazy W's 4 games, 6-3
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ Lombard St. Gumshoes 5 games, 3-1
Coburns @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers 4 games, 5-2
Rockford Losers @ Cancun Tornados 5 games, 7-2

cbx fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 4, 2013

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Pick 'em

Luna Landers @ South Bolton Eazy W's 5 games, 4-2
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ Lombard St. Gumshoes 5 games, 4-1
Coburns @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers 4 games, 5-1
Rockford Losers @ Cancun Tornados 4 games, 3-1

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Expansion Cup Playoff and Gauntlet Pick Em Standings
Through Wild Card Play-in Round

pre:
Pander              11
Senerio             11
Gabriel Pope        10
cbx                  9
Monathin             7
NotThatSamBeckett    7
theacox              7
Armitage             6
CVE                  6
Bograt               3
Gricklegrass         3
Mooseontheloose      3
gingemidget          2
ScottyJSno           1
Senerio: Not exactly sure what you're crying C-O-N-spiracy over. My notes had your picks, which included the correct Landers score.

Bograt
Nov 4, 2009

MagNIFicent

*sigh*
4-man pitching rotation through the playoffs. Rest Stan for now, if by some God drat miracle I actually make it to the ECCS and he's back in playing shape, swap him out with Arroyo.

As far as Wetteland, just let him suffer his shame quietly. We'll run with a single MR man for the playoffs. It's not like Wetteland actually played all that much anyways.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Er wait, so where am I relegated to? Or does my team simply cease to be?

Also, Smasher, how exactly would I have fixed my pitching? I drafted as much SP as I possibly could and lacked depth in any other position to offer via trade. So what other recourse did I have?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Also, Smasher, how exactly would I have fixed my pitching? I drafted as much SP as I possibly could and lacked depth in any other position to offer via trade. So what other recourse did I have?

Your team simply ceases to be. You can make a new team with the same name, same icons, etc, but not the same feeders or members from your team.

You can make a new team next Expansion Cup (Expansion Cup IX)

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

ManifunkDestiny posted:

First of all, you probably shouldn't have spent your first pick in the dispersal draft on George Brett. Instead, you could have drafted Ted Williams and then traded him for multiple starting pitchers, or traded the pick for the same.

More to the point, at a certain point, you really had to roll the dice and trade Bonds or Pujols for multiple pieces, including pitching help. Yeah, that might have made things worse but, at a certain point, it became clear that your pitching staff, as presently constituted, was not good enough to survive, and you had to try something else. Would trading Bonds or Pujols for pitching have saved your team? Probably not. But it was worth a shot.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

First of all, you probably shouldn't have spent your first pick in the dispersal draft on George Brett. Instead, you could have drafted Ted Williams and then traded him for multiple starting pitchers, or traded the pick for the same.

More to the point, at a certain point, you really had to roll the dice and trade Bonds or Pujols for multiple pieces, including pitching help. Yeah, that might have made things worse but, at a certain point, it became clear that your pitching staff, as presently constituted, was not good enough to survive, and you had to try something else. Would trading Bonds or Pujols for pitching have saved your team? Probably not. But it was worth a shot.

Gotcha, well good to know. Guess I'll wait til the next expansion season then.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Jacksonville overcame the odds and won twice as many games as I thought we would! I bought even more blindingly white sport coats for everyone!

Oh yeah picks.

Luna Landers @ South Bolton Eazy W's W's in 5, 6-4 clincher
Finger Lakes Phoenixes@ Lombard St. Gumshoes - Phoenix's in 4, 7-3 clincher
Coburns @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers - Bangers in 4, 6-0 clincher
Rockford Losers @ Cancun Tornados - Tornados in 5, 5-4 clincher

Armitage fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 4, 2013

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Burma Imperialists

Armitage (JAC)
cbx (DEC)
CVE (MDM)
Gabriel Pope (OMA)
gingemidget (WAL)
GrickleGrass (MAN)
Monathin (CNT)
moosetheloose (HRV)
NotThatSamBeckett (PAR)
Pander (SAD)
Senerio (NOW)
theacox (CER)

Florida Oranges

Armitage (JAC)
cbx (DEC)
CVE (MDM)
Gabriel Pope (OMA)
gingemidget (WAL)
GrickleGrass (MAN)
NotThatSamBeckett (PAR)
Pander (SAD)
theacox (CER)

New England Arguments

mooseontheloose (HRV)

Rochester Generics

Monathin (CNT)
Senerio (NOW)

So, twelve people made picks for this round, and all 12 think the Imperialists are going to make it. That's one hell of a vote of confidence for Viscount Slim's team. Not that it's misplaced, exactly, they probably are the best team in this round.

Most of you, nine out of twelve, picked the Oranges to go through as well, banking on the fact that Arguments just don't look like survivors, and that the Oranges just have a stronger will to live than the Generics. Is that right? Well, let's take a look...

Standings

...it's almost right, but just one game off. Imperialists and Generics advance!

The Imperialists have another round where they were never really in danger. Eventually, they will face some real competition, but not today...and probably not next round either.

...I'm talking softball....Ozzie and the Straw....

And so passes the last surviving team from the third expansion class.

You've got to give credit Mel Stottlemyre for single-handedly finishing your team off with eight losses in 21 relief appearances this round. That projects to 32 losses over a full season. Truly incredible.

In better news for the Expansion owners, this does mean that Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle are headed for the dispersal draft.

Well, kw0134, we've had some real fun, but it looks like your luck has finally run out and-

-Wait, the Generics survived? Again? Holy gently caress! What is it going to take to put this team down for good?

Pick'em: Hope and Futility
Pick TWO!
Albany Pessimists
Burma Imperialists
Cuba Smokers
Rochester Generics

You also have one more day to make picks for the divisional round of the playoffs if you haven't already.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Owners, I'm just looking ahead to next season as Smasher is going back down to 30 teams and needs a new script. My question is, for the standings table does anyone have any particular stats they'd like to see? As defence in the SL is always tricky as Mogul seems to love providing a rubbish series of stats, I was going to focus on that. Specifically, I was planning to use the EC stats - so Defensive Efficiency, Opponent On Base Percent, Opponent Slugging Percent, but if anyone else has an alternative suggestion, please grab me in IRC or post here or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'd rather see team OBP, SLG, or OPS than HR and BA.