Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea, I can deal with them, but Ive been a OnePiece/Jojo comic nerd for a while now, so Im pretty used to reading stuff like "Last crimes done even rats in sewer would puke because of its sickness nature". After a while you can look past the wierd mangled english.

Thats not to say I don't appreciate a professional level translation! Thanks for all your hard work guys!

Well, the TV Nihon episodes never had any mangled English in them that I can recall, but they were more Japanese-centric than the SA subs, which are more Americanized/simplified. Just the preference of the people behind the subbing work, but that does not mean they were of poor quality.

Really, the only bad thing about TV Nihon's subbing work was how slow they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Jamesman posted:

Well, the TV Nihon episodes never had any mangled English in them that I can recall, but they were more Japanese-centric than the SA subs, which are more Americanized/simplified. Just the preference of the people behind the subbing work, but that does not mean they were of poor quality.

Really, the only bad thing about TV Nihon's subbing work was how slow they were.

Okay, now THIS... I.. no.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jamesman posted:

Hahaha, oh wow. No.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011
And the cycle begins anew...

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

How zebius of you to say something like that.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I love TV-Nihon because it helps me learn more about my favorite country, the land of the rising sun (learned that one in college). They give me useful tidbits of information I can throw into everyday conversation; you have no idea how much I impress people with my knowledge of Japanese names for Mario enemies.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Jamesman posted:

Zari-gari has pointed out that they actually have a lot of inaccuracies in their subtitles. And some of those inaccuracies aren't just coming from someone mishearing something, but rather, just from someone not knowing enough about what they are translating. And sometimes, it doesn't even make any sense. They translated "I'm getting carsick" in Ghost and Goblins to "Am I target?" which makes no sense in any context.

Also, their tendency to stick with Japanese names really makes no sense most of the time. Sure, there are points where you can debate one way or the other, but there's no reason to render a passing reference to "Resident Evil" as "Biohazard" except for some weird sort of pretension.

Silentman0 posted:

When you make things people like, it's ok to not strive for the highest quality possible! Let me tell you how much I love mediocrity.

Dude, seriously.

These guys are doing it for free. They said "I love the show and I want to make this available for other people." Sure, they find it fun, but they've still put in a lot of time doing something for very little gain for themselves. Yeah, there's gonna be the occasional mistake that slips through because they have lives and other things to do. Yeah, sometimes they make some big slip-ups. But you know what? The general quality overall is pretty good. And it's not like the pros don't gently caress up.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
The issue people have with them isn't that it's more oriented towards viewers knowledgeable about Japanese, it's that the things they choose not to translate completely are totally arbitrary and serve no purpose to the viewer. Take that Resident Evil example I pointed to earlier (which they actually did do), why do I need to know that the Japanese version of RE is called Biohazard? Just translate it as Resident Evil and people will know exactly what you're talking about.

To me, it comes off as flaunting that they know certain contextual Japanese terms that might have been slightly-difficult to look up. The only time a Translator's Note is necessary is when they're talking about something that isn't known about/doesn't have an American counterpart.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
TVNihon.jpg:

I'm really glad the Atlantis episode was on the DVD just for that one line, because the original TV Nihon version made zero sense.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

quakster posted:

How zebius of you to say something like that.

They misspelled the name of a game they had no reference for outside of a Japanese narrator saying the name. You could say they should have Googled "Arcade shooter released in Japan in the 1980's" and looked at the results until a word came up that looked like what the narrator said and they could confirm the proper spelling, or you could say "Oh well, they made a mistake. At least they fixed it in the next episode."

Now if they had misspelled something that was clearly written on screen... oh wait, this happened in an SA sub. Can I forever poo poo on their work with unrelenting seething hate, or can I chalk it up to a mistake and move on with my life and enjoy a fun show?

Kiranamos posted:

I love TV-Nihon because it helps me learn more about my favorite country, the land of the rising sun (learned that one in college). They give me useful tidbits of information I can throw into everyday conversation; you have no idea how much I impress people with my knowledge of Japanese names for Mario enemies.

This argument doesn't make sense to me. You're already watching a Japanese show about video games here. You don't have anywhere to go, buddy.

Foreign shows have foreign elements. TV-Nihon's choice to preserve some of those elements was not a representation of quality, nor is SA's choice to eliminate some of those elements. If you prefer not to have those elements, then good for you. I don't care either way so long as the subs are accurate.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Zari-gari has pointed out that they actually have a lot of inaccuracies in their subtitles. And some of those inaccuracies aren't just coming from someone mishearing something, but rather, just from someone not knowing enough about what they are translating. And sometimes, it doesn't even make any sense. They translated "I'm getting carsick" in Ghost and Goblins to "Am I target?" which makes no sense in any context.

Also, their tendency to stick with Japanese names really makes no sense most of the time. Sure, there are points where you can debate one way or the other, but there's no reason to render a passing reference to "Resident Evil" as "Biohazard" except for some weird sort of pretension.

If they're not accurate, then that's one thing. But if people hate them just for keeping certain Japanese quirks, it seems kind of silly. There's really no reason to hold a grudge like that against a handful of subbed episodes.

The "Am I a target?" thing made sense to me. The Red Arremer kept honing in on him and killing him instantly, and he couldn't do anything to get away, so I took it to mean like he was just, you know... a target. That the Red Arremer kept hitting. But if it's a different line altogether, then so be it.

"Biohazard" instead of "Resident Evil," is a judgement call I guess. I mean, they're saying "Biohazard," in English, so translating one English word into another English word is a little odd. I can see why someone would do it, and why someone wouldn't.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 4, 2013

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

Can I forever poo poo on their work with unrelenting seething hate,
What the gently caress.

Change your meds. Whatever you're taking, they're not working.

quakster fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 4, 2013

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Jamesman posted:

I don't care either way so long as the subs are accurate.

They aren't though for the most part. Even the parts that are sound extremely stilted and unnatural, like in the J.J. and Jeff episode when Arino's trying to do the warp and the subs go "Ah, a pity! What a pity! Ah! Pity!" every time he misses. They're bad subs dude.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 4, 2013

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Jamesman posted:

I don't care either way so long as the subs are accurate.

They're not.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Cemetry Gator posted:

Dude, seriously.

These guys are doing it for free. They said "I love the show and I want to make this available for other people." Sure, they find it fun, but they've still put in a lot of time doing something for very little gain for themselves. Yeah, there's gonna be the occasional mistake that slips through because they have lives and other things to do. Yeah, sometimes they make some big slip-ups. But you know what? The general quality overall is pretty good. And it's not like the pros don't gently caress up.

I agree but defending mediocrity in any way, shape, or form is really loving dumb. If anything it just means that they'll spell-check their releases closer from now on, which they never would have done if nobody pointed it out.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

miscellaneous14 posted:

The issue people have with them isn't that it's more oriented towards viewers knowledgeable about Japanese, it's that the things they choose not to translate completely are totally arbitrary and serve no purpose to the viewer. Take that Resident Evil example I pointed to earlier (which they actually did do), why do I need to know that the Japanese version of RE is called Biohazard? Just translate it as Resident Evil and people will know exactly what you're talking about.

Except if they don't. Why is it important that the Japanese version of whatever game they're playing was released in America as whatever other game? Many people don't know or care about the American version of the game, they want to know about the plot and character names in the Japanese version since that's what's being played. If they want to know about the American version they can play it for themselves or just look up a gameplay video or something. Or heck, maybe they DO know about the american version and they just want to know how the japanese version is different-- ESPECIALLY if the American version was censored.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
So gently caress all this typo and subs talk for a bit and peep this: not once did it occur to Arino to tongue Baby Mario out of the air. :v:

I don't know if it's just me but when I first played this game my first instinct was to test out all the game mechanics in any way my curious little mind could think to do. Granted he did figure out you could shoot him out of the sky with eggs sooner than I did, but I think that was in a help box anyway. Well whatever, any game where Arino faces off against his nemesis Bowser is a welcome episode and I'm glad this was subbed as quickly as it was.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
They weren't actually playing the game, he was walking around in the staircase of a hot spring building and said something like "This is just like Resident Evil!".

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, completely unintelligible gibberish by a person with poor grasp of the language will indeed help preserve the sanctity of the noble Japanese while bringing forth interesting disparities between the different releases of the various Biohazard games. Yes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

quakster posted:

Yes, completely unintelligible gibberish by a person with poor grasp of the language will indeed help preserve the sanctity of the noble Japanese while bringing forth interesting disparities between the different releases of the various Biohazard games. Yes.

This is where I get the whole "unrelenting seething hate toward TV-Nihon" idea from. You seem really really angry at a Japanese show having Japanese stuff in it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Jamesman posted:

"Biohazard" instead of "Resident Evil," is a judgement call I guess. I mean, they're saying "Biohazard," in English, so translating one English word into another English word is a little odd. I cans see why someone would do it, and why someone wouldn't.

The point of a translation is to render meaning, not to render exact verbiage. So yes, when an English phrase is used in Japanese that doesn't match up with English, the subtitles should not preserve the English, but rather, translate it. For example, the Criterion subtitles for High and Low renders "Western style boshi" as "Cowboy hat." Why? Because while "western style" might be English, in English, it doesn't really mean anything specific. Sure, if I had to take a guess, I would say that it meant "cowboy hat," but it's also reasonable to think "Oh, maybe they mean baseball cap or something like that, you know, a hat a person from the West would wear!" It helps avoid confusion. In general, if there exists a more widely understood phrase in English to describe the English phrase in a foreign language, you should probably use it.

Good subtitles are also easy to read. Translator notes make the subtitles more complicated to read and harder to understand because you now have to read the translation, notice the unfamiliar phrase, notice the translator note, read the translator note, and now apply that information to your previous understanding of the text. It takes me out of the work every time I see a translator note.

SA has used translator notes. The one I remember is in Milon's Secret Castle, and that was because the joke was that two of the three buttons on an arcade machine were in English, but a third was in Japanese. It was something that literally couldn't be translated. But "Biohazard" has a readily translatable equivalent, "Resident Evil." I think a good general rule is this: if you can take the text of the translator note and replace it with the offending text in the subtitles and you get the same exact meaning, then you should do so.

It serves no purpose to render it Biohazard. It just makes it harder to understand for people who don't already know that, and chances are, they probably don't care. And the problem is that it isn't just Resident Evil. The problem is that they always go with the Japanese title over the English title. For instance, "Ghosts'n Goblins" is rendered as "Makai Murai," which is actually really frustrating. Because it's just another mental note I need to make, and it really serves no purpose. It's not "more accurate." If that's the case, then they should just render the subtitles as "Romanji" because that would be the most accurate subtitle possible using the English alphabet.

Edit:

Son Ryo posted:

Except if they don't. Why is it important that the Japanese version of whatever game they're playing was released in America as whatever other game? Many people don't know or care about the American version of the game, they want to know about the plot and character names in the Japanese version since that's what's being played. If they want to know about the American version they can play it for themselves or just look up a gameplay video or something. Or heck, maybe they DO know about the american version and they just want to know how the japanese version is different-- ESPECIALLY if the American version was censored.

Huh? You're not making much sense. I don't know what you are trying to say here.

Most of the Japanese titles aren't that different, and the differences are minor, like getting rid of cigarettes or religious imagery. But even then, a lot of the text will be very similar. And as you can see with the SA subs, when there are significant and major differences between the Japanese and American version, they'll refer to things by the Japanese name. That's why "Doki Doki Panic" wasn't called "Super Mario Brothers 2," or that ninja game wasn't called "Avoid the Noid," or why "Street Fighter 2010" used the Japanese story.

But in the case of a game like Mega Man, does it really make sense to use "Rock Man?" Or is just better to refer to it as "Mega Man" since it's really the only change.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 4, 2013

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

This is where I get the whole "unrelenting seething hate toward TV-Nihon" idea from. You seem really really angry at a Japanese show having Japanese stuff in it.
You do not seem to understand. There is limited correlation between what is being said and what is being subtitled. The TVN subs, you could say, are subpar, and I was poking fun at the fact that you and Son Ryo were defending all the blatant translation mistakes by pointing out that the "Japanese is good!" which has absolutely nothing to do with the actual supposed translations being complete nonsense a third of the time.

quakster fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 4, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Man, I just finished the episode and it was great. While there wasn't really any tension, it was as enjoyable as seeing Arino beat SMW or Mighty Bomb Jack.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Foreign shows have foreign elements. TV-Nihon's choice to preserve some of those elements was not a representation of quality, nor is SA's choice to eliminate some of those elements. If you prefer not to have those elements, then good for you. I don't care either way so long as the subs are accurate.

I remember making this argument once too. :v:

Personally I've watched a few series subbed by TV Nihon and never had any problems with them. Not to mention someone going through subs by a group they don't like or use specifically to look for typos so they can complain about them is at the very least obsessive, but borders more on petty and sad to me.

HoneyBoy posted:

not once did it occur to Arino to tongue Baby Mario out of the air. :v:

This is not a sentence I ever wanted to read. :gonk:

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

quakster posted:

You do not seem to understand. There is limited correlation between what is being said and what is being subtitled. The TVN subs, you could say, are subpar, and I was poking fun at the fact that you and Son Ryo were defending all the blatant translation mistakes by pointing out that the "Japanese is good!" which has absolutely nothing to do with the actual supposed translations being complete nonsense a third of the time.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not defending TV-N's subs in any way, I'm just complaining about SA-Subs' known practice of overwriting the Japanese story and text on screen with its American equivalent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Son Ryo posted:

If they're not accurate, then that's one thing.

They're not. They're also very bad. No matter how many times you say it:

will never be acceptable.

The White Dragon posted:

Man, I just finished the episode and it was great. While there wasn't really any tension, it was as enjoyable as seeing Arino beat SMW or Mighty Bomb Jack.

I'm just glad it was less frustrating that SMW. :unsmith:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Son Ryo posted:

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not defending TV-N's subs in any way, I'm just complaining about SA-Subs' known practice of overwriting the Japanese story and text on screen with its American equivalent.

They're translating. The whole point is to make it so english-speaking viewers know what's going on, and since no english-speakers have played Rockman but they've played Megaman, that's what they go with.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

Do you not remember posting this?

Son Ryo posted:

Translation and localization are different-- this isn't TV Nihon, nobody's asking you to leave stuff in Japanese, but--

Wait, I've been down this road before and the conversation afterwards wasn't very pretty. I'll shut up now.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Son Ryo posted:

I haven't looked at the thread in a while but I just peeked in and saw this and would like to explain something: I do a mix of both. When I translate an episode featuring a game with lots of text that has been localized, I always check the localized script to see how close it is to the original. If it's very close, I go with localized. If there's significant differences, I translate the Japanese script. More often than not, the localized script is pretty different so I keep the Japanese script. I've only ever gone with 100% American script twice: Ninja Gaiden (but not Ninja Gaiden 2), and an upcoming episode. In the case of the upcoming episode it was more like 99.99%; there was a single censored word in the American script and I decided to put the original word back in (dedicated fans will spot it I'm sure). That's it -- two games. The rest feature the original Japanese script translated by me, most notably Street Fighter 2010 since the American release completely changed the story. Sometimes I do a mix of both, like Yoshi's Island -- I went with the localized script if I felt it was close enough, and the Japanese script when there were big differences, like the hint box singing instead of reciting a poem.

I do put lots of thought into this stuff, because I find differences between Japanese and English scripts interesting and like to let others know what those differences are.

Correction: three games. For Parappa I went with 100% English script and lyrics, for obvious reasons.

ETA: VVVVVVV

Son Ryo posted:

First I'd like to apologize if I might have offended you. I don't, after all, know Japanese, and it can be difficult to tell when you're being accurate to the Japanese and when you're using the original script-- it's a testament to your skill at translation that it can be hard to tell the difference.

No offense taken :) I just wanted to assure you and others you aren't missing out on anything.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 4, 2013

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Do you not remember posting this?

Are you referring to "nobody's asking you to leave stuff in Japanese" or "I'll shut up now"?

'Cause if it's the former, I meant literally in japanese, like that o-baka-chan-tachi thing earlier.

EDIT: I hit post too early, there's a bit more coming

EDIT 2:

zari-gani posted:

I do put lots of thought into this stuff, because I find differences between Japanese and English scripts interesting and like to let others know what those differences are.

First I'd like to apologize if I might have offended you. I don't, after all, know Japanese, and it can be difficult to tell when you're being accurate to the Japanese and when you're using the original script-- it's a testament to your skill at translation that it can be hard to tell the difference.

Son Ryo fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 4, 2013

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Game Center CX - Always Bet on Takahasi :v:

I'm not done with this episode but I came up with it watching the Barcode Battle segment. Thanks guys for another great translation!

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

zari-gani posted:

The best option is obviously to put a giant translation note on the top of the screen each time there's a difference.

I'm curious, since this is the first time that an episode has been translated by both SA-GCCX and that other guy, how do they compare?

Andorra fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 4, 2013

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I am having an awesome weekend. First of all, we get the subs for Yoshi's Island. Second, my hometown Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl! Time for my post game celebration including the watching of the Yoshi's Island episode.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Andorra posted:

I'm curious, since this is the first time that an episode has been translated by both SA-GCCX and that other guy, how do they compare?

All I noticed was that the other guy had Kamek say "poo poo" which I only remembered since it was so jarring. I mean, I'm no prude but I've never seen the language get above a "drat."

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Was Ghosts 'n Goblins the worst barcode scan ever?

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
The Yoshi Islands episodes were some good stuff. Loved the arcade segment especially, since that particular place with all of the fighting games brought back some bittersweet memories of the arcade that was on campus at my alma mater years ago.

RedFive
Feb 20, 2003

Thank you for continuing to produce these fantastic translated episodes for us! I'm really excited to watch the Yoshi's Island two-parter and Smart Ball. I really appreciate the entire team for making my now-favorite show accessible to me through this project!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yoshi's Island is one of my favorite platformers ever and now I have two episodes of it to watch?!

Love you guys :3:

Being sick in bed is better with Arino for company (that's not creepy, I think)

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for all the excellent translation (and localization) work everyone. Also, these episodes made me realize what an utter technical marvel Yoshi's Island was. Pretty much everything that had been developed over the lifespan of the SNES all went into one game. Polygons, sprite-transformation and scaling, 3d rendered graphics, it did it all.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
I was just rewatching an old episode (Feudal Lord's Ambition) and Arino walks right by an Incredible Crisis arcade machine. I keep bringing up that game because I want him to play it so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Heti posted:

I was just rewatching an old episode (Feudal Lord's Ambition) and Arino walks right by an Incredible Crisis arcade machine. I keep bringing up that game because I want him to play it so bad.

The game's easy and short though, not sure if it would make a decent full episode. That said, I'd also like to see him play it, especially to see Arino's reaction to the ferris wheel scene.