Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

Sounds like the hum you get from having a J bass. Do you have two pickups (the black boxes in the middle of the bass's body)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
It's an Ibanez GSR200, so I think it has both jazz and precision pickups.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

It's an Ibanez GSR200, so I think it has both jazz and precision pickups.

The jazz pickup doesn't have another single coil to cancel out the hum.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

The latter one stops if I place my hands on the strings, tone knobs, or the screw end of the cable. Is this just normal feedback or is something likely wrong with my guitar, amp, or cable?
Turn the J pup volume all the way down. If it is still bad, you'll need to get some work done. It's not hard (fix grounds, shield cavity), but I don't know if it is worth it or not--that depends on your specific situation.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I messed with the knobs, it's the tone knob that's causing the buzz, no more buzz when I turn it down to 0.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I messed with the knobs, it's the tone knob that's causing the buzz, no more buzz when I turn it down to 0.

That's because you're rolling off the buzz. The tone knob is a low pass filter.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
Yeah, I don't know anything about electronics. Anyway, the buzz still persists whether the J or Precision is turned down to 0 if tone is on.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Yeah, I don't know anything about electronics. Anyway, the buzz still persists whether the J or Precision is turned down to 0 if tone is on.

It's pretty simple. Pickups are transducers. It's a magnet with wires wrapped around it. The magnets give them their own magnetic field. When you pluck a string, the magnetic field gets hosed with by the vibration and generates an AC voltage with the frequency characteristics of the string. It then runs through the volume potentiometers (variable resistors) and the tone pot (a variable resistor with a capacitor on it aka a low pass filter) to the output jack. That signal then goes through your amp, where it gets jacked up and molded more in the preamp stage. After that, the polished signal goes to the power amp stage, which brings the signal up in amplitude even more and outputs it to the speaker, generating sound. Waves, bro.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
And in many jazz style bass you'll have two single coils which, when set at equal volume, cancel out eachother's buzz entirely. The GSR200 has one the one single coil but then the other is that offset p-bass style one, so this cancellation is impossible. Not necessarily a bad thing, depending on what you want tone wise, but something to consider for your next bass. How bad is this buzz exactly? Some buzz is acceptable, and a lot of buzz can be fixed by upgrading shielding or pickups. Something else to consider is that pedals can add a ton of buzz, depending on how well they are shielded. Your cables can cause buzz, your amp can buzz... there's a lot that goes into cleaning up your signal honestly, it requires a lot of testing and experimentation.

Summit fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 4, 2013

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
It's not THAT bad, but it's loud enough to be annoying. It doesn't seem to affect the actual tone when the bass is being played, just when I pause (contact with the strings seems to mute the buzz). I'm not using pedals or anything, it's just going straight into the amp. Maybe it's the cable, it's kinda old.

Another minor issue with this bass is a headstock rattle. It doesn't affect the sound coming from the amp, but I get an audible rattle coming from the headstock when I pluck open strings. Is that from the tuners being loose? EDIT: n/m, just had to tighten the nuts under the tuning pegs because the washers under them were rattling.

jarjarbinksfan621 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 4, 2013

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just bought my first bass guitar (used) and amp (new), and there's this hum. There's a light one just when the amp is plugged in, and there's a louder one when my bass gets plugged into the amp. The latter one stops if I place my hands on the strings, tone knobs, or the screw end of the cable. Is this just normal feedback or is something likely wrong with my guitar, amp, or cable?

Could be plenty of different things, most which are normal. Try another cable before anything else. What amp/bass?

e: well that was late

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I really don't need to be messing around with GAS right now but

This thing looks loving sick. It uses a really similar setup to my old Interstellar Overdrive, sending the signal through a real power tube with a real output transformer that gets dropped back to line level.

Plus the Baer ML112 uses the 3012 and a mid driver, is 37 lbs and would absolutely crush my Aggie GS112's.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

This thing looks loving sick. It uses a really similar setup to my old Interstellar Overdrive, sending the signal through a real power tube with a real output transformer that gets dropped back to line level.

Plus the Baer ML112 uses the 3012 and a mid driver, is 37 lbs and would absolutely crush my Aggie GS112's.

If you really want to get some G.A.S. right now, try poking around the Barefaced Bass website.

http://barefacedbass.com/

The Super 12 weighs way less than my 2 Aguilar GS112s. It makes me very jealous.

Waiting time is supposedly horrendous, though. And of course they're all fairly expensive, especially if you don't live in the UK.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Summit posted:

And in many jazz style bass you'll have two single coils which, when set at equal volume, cancel out eachother's buzz entirely. The GSR200 has one the one single coil but then the other is that offset p-bass style one, so this cancellation is impossible.

I changed the cable and it's the same. Yeah, it looks like the buzz it has is pretty standard with this bass from some more googling around. I can live with it for now, I just wanted to make sure my crap wasn't especially busted or anything.

My amp (ampeg ba-108) still has a light hum on it's own before anything is plugged in. That's normal, right? I mean, if it's not, I'm still within the return/exchange window. I bought it new.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You could have some hum in your house wiring - try plugging into another socket, or on another floor if you can. Failing that try and take it to another building and see if things change

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

baka kaba posted:

You could have some hum in your house wiring - try plugging into another socket, or on another floor if you can. Failing that try and take it to another building and see if things change

This. Alternately, if you're using one of those 3 prong to 2 prong adapters, you need to actually ground it correctly.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I don't know who this Chris Aiken guy is, but he has a nifty Squier signature bass.

It'd be cheap enough to get a tone knob on there. I'm not sure why people would opt out of having it, but I also roll off as much as I can unless I'm slapping and popping.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

TyChan posted:

I don't know who this Chris Aiken guy is, but he has a nifty Squier signature bass.

It'd be cheap enough to get a tone knob on there. I'm not sure why people would opt out of having it, but I also roll off as much as I can unless I'm slapping and popping.

Unless I was really set on having a traditional looking P I'd just convert the volume control to tone since I never use the volume on my P anyway. Speaking of single-control punk signature basses, I really like the look and configuration of the Mark Hoppus Jazz/P and I'd love to get my hands on one.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I am primarly a guitarist, I play a little bass on the side and am trying to get back into playing it more regularly. Right now my big stumbling block is that after playing 20-30 minutes I start getting discomfort and fatigue in the left shoulder, beneath/behind the shoulder blade (scapula).

I typically play seated on a stool (not leaning back), with a strap, and am used to playing with something close to classical position for guitar -- the instrument resting against the left thigh, the neck at between a 10 and 11 o'clock angle so that I can easily move up and down the neck with my left wrist at a comfortable angle.

However, between the weight of my bass ('70s Ibanez p-bass) and the longer scale, this is causing my arm and shoulder fatigue, especially playing low on the neck. This has inspired me to play more higher on the neck, which has the side benefit of making me more fluid all over the fretboard, but I still don't want to screw myself up with bad ergonomics.

I've tried tightening up the strap a bit so it's a little higher and doesn't rest against my thigh, and maybe that helps a little bit? I'm also wondering if a heavier padded bass strap might be in order (I'm currently using a basic nylon mesh guitar strap). What else can I do?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

h_double posted:

I am primarly a guitarist, I play a little bass on the side and am trying to get back into playing it more regularly. Right now my big stumbling block is that after playing 20-30 minutes I start getting discomfort and fatigue in the left shoulder, beneath/behind the shoulder blade (scapula).

I typically play seated on a stool (not leaning back), with a strap, and am used to playing with something close to classical position for guitar -- the instrument resting against the left thigh, the neck at between a 10 and 11 o'clock angle so that I can easily move up and down the neck with my left wrist at a comfortable angle.

However, between the weight of my bass ('70s Ibanez p-bass) and the longer scale, this is causing my arm and shoulder fatigue, especially playing low on the neck. This has inspired me to play more higher on the neck, which has the side benefit of making me more fluid all over the fretboard, but I still don't want to screw myself up with bad ergonomics.

I've tried tightening up the strap a bit so it's a little higher and doesn't rest against my thigh, and maybe that helps a little bit? I'm also wondering if a heavier padded bass strap might be in order (I'm currently using a basic nylon mesh guitar strap). What else can I do?

I think the only solution is for you to sell that bass back to me, and buy a lighter one. :colbert:

BUT, if you absolutely INSIST on keeping it... I play the same when I'm seated, resting the bass classical/cross-knee. Yeah, a more well-padded strap may help, but how much are you resting it on your knee, and how much is it actually HANGING on your shoulder? You may just need to adjust the length of the strap a bit. Kinda hard to pinpoint that problem without actually seeing you hold the bass.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 7, 2013

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

h_double posted:

Pike presses. I recommend any guitarist and bassist should be doing these, at least if they're the working out type. If anything, you'll fill out jackets a little better.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 7, 2013

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Scarf posted:

BUT, if you absolutely INSIST on keeping it... I play the same when I'm seated, resting the bass classical/cross-knee. Yeah, a more well-padded strap may help, but how much are you resting it on your knee, and how much is it actually HANGING on your shoulder? You may just need to adjust the length of the strap a bit. Kinda hard to pinpoint that problem without actually seeing you hold the bass.

Haha yeah, I'm definitely not looking to let it go, though you can rest assured it's got a good home and is not being used to play any lovely music.

That's what I've been trying to figure out, the sweet spot with the strap. With a guitar I rest most of the weight on my left leg and mostly just use the strap to make sure the instrument stays at the correct angle. With the bass I'm not entirely sure how much of the strain is from the weight, and how much is from my arm being stretched out further on account of the longer neck.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Pike presses. I recommend any guitarist and bassist should be doing these, at least if they're the working out type. If anything, you'll fill out jackets a little better.

Thanks, I was wondering if it might be a good excuse to do push-ups, but wasn't sure if there was something better.

h_double fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 8, 2013

niff
Jul 4, 2010
Is there any reason for the music you're playing that you shouldn't be standing up? I have a feeling, with a wide strap, that would fix your reach & weight distribution problem.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

niff posted:

Is there any reason for the music you're playing that you shouldn't be standing up? I have a feeling, with a wide strap, that would fix your reach & weight distribution problem.

I'm primarily playing in my home studio, recording or looking at sheet music, both of which are a little more convenient sitting down. I'll keep an eye out for a wider strap though, wouldn't be a bad thing to have on hand.

niff
Jul 4, 2010

h_double posted:

I'm primarily playing in my home studio, recording or looking at sheet music, both of which are a little more convenient sitting down. I'll keep an eye out for a wider strap though, wouldn't be a bad thing to have on hand.

I see. If it's resting on your leg it's not the weigh distribution problem, most likely.

I used to get incredibly sore shoulders and back with my Ibanez ATK with a standard width ernie ball nylon strap, and it disappeared once I got a thick, wide strap. Ridiculously heavy bass. Reaching that far can be a real strain, though, and that would be quite a concern! Try your other leg. If sitting down, I always play with it resting on my right leg, and when standing the body is always fairly far to the right on me as seen here (sorry for the shirtlessness):

I play long, repetitive riffs interspersed with pentatonic fills. My left hand is the one that tires the fastest every single time, and I need to alleviate as much wrist and shoulder strain as humanly possible in order to play an hour long set comfortably.

I hope my analysis of that actually helps you in some way.. in summary, if I am imagining this correctly, you resting the bass on your left leg is creating some serious straight on your whole left side. Switching legs may indeed fix everything, or standing with a strap with good weight disperson and bringing the bass further to your right will alleviate any over-reaching even with a longer neck.

niff fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 8, 2013

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

My own favoured approach is to adjust the bass so that it's in the same position standing as sitting down. If you hang your bass low, then you might want to angle your leg (the leg that the bass would be resting on) down a bit, such that the knee is pointing towards the ground. Not only is this balanced but it ensures that your technique doesn't change on those occasions where you might play standing up.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Seventh Arrow posted:

My own favoured approach is to adjust the bass so that it's in the same position standing as sitting down.

This plus a wide, decently padded strap is the way to go. Thin, cheap straps don't distribute enough weight and your shoulder will start to feel it after awhile.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

niff posted:

I used to get incredibly sore shoulders and back with my Ibanez ATK with a standard width ernie ball nylon strap, and it disappeared once I got a thick, wide strap.

What strap are you using now?

Sometimes I'm tempted to get a Mono strap, but there are many other things I need to prioritize.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
it was a generic Planet Waves strap, but wide/thick for heavy basses. I use a thick medium fake leather strap for my Rickenbacker (play shirtless, need the grip).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Alright folks, serious bass chat:

Stickers on basses, yay or nay?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

My fretless has a bunch of Bloom County comics taped on the back.

They're from when the comic was current :smith:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

TyChan posted:

What strap are you using now?

Sometimes I'm tempted to get a Mono strap, but there are many other things I need to prioritize.

I love Mono's but they're not short enough for me. The short Comfort Strapp is perfect.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

LordPants posted:

Alright folks, serious bass chat:

Stickers on basses, yay or nay?

Only on fun, cheap, beat up junker instruments you keep laying around at all times. If it goes on a wall it's art and should remain that way. If its in a case it should be clean and taken care of. Just how I feel.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I'm not very tall, and the "short" Mono Betty strap is perfect for me. It seems like a lot of money to pay for a strap, but It's also the best one I've tried by a long shot.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I've been sorely tempted by the ML112 lately; all the posts on Talkbass seem to indicate that it's the perfect small cab for rock.

There was an Audiokinesis Thunderchild on my local craigslist that I almost pulled the trigger on as well, but it seems to be gone now.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

niff posted:

it was a generic Planet Waves strap, but wide/thick for heavy basses. I use a thick medium fake leather strap for my Rickenbacker (play shirtless, need the grip).

I believe I have that same Planet Waves strap. It's not bad, although I have to readjust it more than I'd like. It doesn't seem to stick in the same position as long as it should.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

I'm not very tall, and the "short" Mono Betty strap is perfect for me. It seems like a lot of money to pay for a strap, but It's also the best one I've tried by a long shot.

I like it a little bit more than the Comfort Strapp I use, but I'm a goober who plays his bass at his chin. I probably should just buy one and have it shortened.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Regardless of how you feel about high mass bridges, I thought you guys/girls might appreciate this.

It does seem to be one of those modifications that people tell you do without thinking. Have you guys have good experiences with it? I prefer the old bent plate.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

TyChan posted:

Regardless of how you feel about high mass bridges, I thought you guys/girls might appreciate this.

It does seem to be one of those modifications that people tell you do without thinking. Have you guys have good experiences with it? I prefer the old bent plate.

You looking to sell that?

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I really like the Badass Bass bridge. I put one on my fender deluxe jazz, after having one come standard with my old Marcus Miller jazz. There isn't really a big difference in play-ability, or tone when you compare it to the "standard" bridges. I can't really describe the differences, they are very subtle. But I can say that there is a difference in how the strings move and respond when your using your fingers. The thing I hate about most of the standard bridges on Squier and Fender bass's is that the saddles don't feel solid, and its not as nice feeling when you rest your hand on bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Set up my Stingray 5, and noticed I can't get the proper intonation on the B string; the bridge's spring is near max compression, but I need to set it back a bit further. Any ideas? Is this common/normal?