Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Veotax posted:

Really? It just looks like they've put bloom in it. Either way, not wroth a full $60.

At least look at the images before you say that. Sheesh.
If they do the fixes to it that they lamented about years later in interviews it will be worth the cash. The visual upgrades are just bitchin icing on the Zelda cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I'll pay 60 for it if they:
-Reduce sail times, there's a lot of just plain empty sea and obstacles like pirates attacking were just annoying. Giant Octos were often an unwelcome surprise unless it was the Double Mana one everyone knew about.
-Introduced bonus content and a hard mode of some sort, like in Skyward Sword.

Otherwise it's worth 35 at best.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

-Reduce sail times, there's a lot of just plain empty sea and obstacles like pirates attacking were just annoying. Giant Octos were often an unwelcome surprise unless it was the Double Mana one everyone knew about.

Otherwise it's worth 35 at best.

Really? I thought that sailing was one of the best parts of the game as it had a great sense of adventure. But I agree with you on the price, $60 for a remake is steep if it has little to no changes.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Junkie Disease posted:

At least look at the images before you say that. Sheesh.
If they do the fixes to it that they lamented about years later in interviews it will be worth the cash. The visual upgrades are just bitchin icing on the Zelda cake.

No he's right, it really does just look like they put a ton of bloom in it. Compare yourself:

WiiU:
http://img.imgcake.com/Pikachu025/wwhd2jpgnu.jpg
http://img.imgcake.com/Pikachu025/wwhdjpguv.jpg

Gamecube in Dolphin:
http://img.imgcake.com/Pikachu025/GZLE015jpgat.jpg
http://img.imgcake.com/Pikachu025/GZLE014jpggu.jpg
http://img.imgcake.com/Pikachu025/GZLE0110jpgmu.jpg

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'd buy it around $60 for:

-Expanded Tingle Tuner functionality with the gamepad
-A Gamecube Mode that gives me the original game straight up but in wide-screen
-A boss rush/hard mode deal like Ocarina of Time 3D and Skyward Sword have
-ANYTHING new whatsoever
-Ocarina of Time/Master Quest Wii U VC download for preordering as an homage to the original preorder bonus :unsmith:

If it's just a straight HD remake with nothing new I'd buy it for...$40 tops but preferably $30.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So has anyone else's Wii U been unable to get any non-default Nintendo Miiverse posts to pop up on the home screen? Internet connection tests have been passing and I'm able to connect to Miiverse manually/use the friends list/etc. I'm just unable to see anything pop up on the home screen anymore.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Junkie Disease posted:

Its sad that The Cave is a ho hum game. Doublefine did a interview saying they didn't know what to do with the second screen. It shows.
They should have looked at some of the other games that use it well.

The way I heard it spun was that Nintendo didn't give them dev kits soon enough to do anything interesting with Wii U specific features. That aside, uninspired screen use is far from The Cave's biggest flaw.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
I'd buy Wind Waker HD for $60 if:

- it's released
- I'm alive when it's released

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

No he's right, it really does just look like they put a ton of bloom in it. Compare yourself:

WiiU:

Gamecube in Dolphin:

Yeah it's identical, they haven't even improved the textures or quality of the models. They've literally just slapped a new lighting engine on and called it a day. Of course, they could go through and do some of those improvements before release (I wouldn't hold your breath) but judging by the media that Nintendo themselves have released it's shaping up to be nowhere near the completely different game that some people seem to be thinking.

Of course that's no bad thing obviously, it just makes the price point appalling is all. Since it's Zelda though, they know people will pay it regardless, even if it is just a port of a game from a decade ago with new lighting. They'd probably sucker me by giving F-Zero GX similar treatment to be honest.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Its sad that The Cave is a ho hum game. Doublefine did a interview saying they didn't know what to do with the second screen. It shows.
They should have looked at some of the other games that use it well.

The "We don't know what to do with the Gamepad" excuse from developers drives me nuts. There's an incredibly obvious bare minimum usage, even when your game is single-screen. One of the Wii U's flagship first-party titles just duplicates the same video/audio on both screens when in single-player, and every player in the world is entirely satisfied with that because it makes off-TV play easy and the game doesn't need anything more.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

The "We don't know what to do with the Gamepad" excuse from developers drives me nuts. There's an incredibly obvious bare minimum usage, even when your game is single-screen. One of the Wii U's flagship first-party titles just duplicates the same video/audio on both screens when in single-player, and every player in the world is entirely satisfied with that because it makes off-TV play easy and the game doesn't need anything more.

And some developers can't even be bothered to do this, when the ones who have stated it's an extremely easy thing to do. The darksiders 2 devs said they got that to work with a team of 3 people in the course of a week before even optimizing the game at all.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I see redone sky box and a the water is redone. Some smaller bells and whistles as well such as flags.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
The lighting engine seems drastically different. Also, screenshots are poor representations of gameplay tweaks/changes they make.

I doubt that they will do it but I'm also in the camp where I'd love to see the tingle integration. I wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of second player Wiimote madness like some of the Nintendoland games (like F-Zero) or Super Mario Galaxy

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
gently caress me. I can't decide whether to buy this silly thing or not. My girlfriend loves Mario games and it's our 5th year anniversary coming up so I'm contemplating going and buying this for us an as an early anniversary gift. I've literally spent about three or four hours today looking at reviews of the console and its games but still can't decide. $450 with taxes for the Deluxe and Mario isn't cheap but is Nintendo Land a decent time sink? And is the story mode that fun with two people together? I know the Wii one was aggravating bouncing off each other's heads but it actually was quite a bit of fun.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Godinster posted:

gently caress me. I can't decide whether to buy this silly thing or not. My girlfriend loves Mario games and it's our 5th year anniversary coming up so I'm contemplating going and buying this for us an as an early anniversary gift. I've literally spent about three or four hours today looking at reviews of the console and its games but still can't decide. $450 with taxes for the Deluxe and Mario isn't cheap but is Nintendo Land a decent time sink? And is the story mode that fun with two people together? I know the Wii one was aggravating bouncing off each other's heads but it actually was quite a bit of fun.

Nintendoland is actually fun and has a lot of content, unlike other bundled Nintendo games they've put out on the past.

It's a blast playing multiplayer out single player actually.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hey, so, the new Windwaker is on an entirely different engine intended I assume for a more realistic Wii U version, it's not just WW with new lighting placed on top. It's pretty common to put your old assets in your new engine when you're investigating a new project so you have something to compare it to, since it gives you something more tangible than blue squares and red chess pieces with stock grass textures.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The correct update to Wind Waker that makes good use of the gamepad is to replace the original sailing mechanic with the Phantom Hourglass sailing mechanic.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Junkie Disease posted:

I see redone sky box and a the water is redone. Some smaller bells and whistles as well such as flags.

Yeah, I see some really minor differences but not much. Remove the Bloom and Instagram colors and it'll GC Wind Waker again. I'll probably buy it since I never bought Wind Waker in the first place.

Chronojam posted:

Hey, so, the new Windwaker is on an entirely different engine intended I assume for a more realistic Wii U version, it's not just WW with new lighting placed on top. It's pretty common to put your old assets in your new engine when you're investigating a new project so you have something to compare it to, since it gives you something more tangible than blue squares and red chess pieces with stock grass textures.

Where did you get this information?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Sire Oblivion posted:

Where did you get this information?

Common...game dev technical demos? Actually, does anyone have the screenshots from the 2012 Zelda tech? Why not start comparing from there.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I thought all they said was that WW HD was the product of style experimentation, not that they were rebuilding the game from scratch or in the same engine as the new Zelda game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I would buy an HD compilation of the 3D Zeldas if they all ran at 60fps.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Whether the screenshots from the presentation are using new assets or not is kind of irrelevant because they'll almost certainly have to make some new assets. Some of the textures especially around the Deku Tree were kind of block even by 2003 standards.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The screenshots from the presentation might not even be from the game. Some of the talk made it sound like these were concept images they worked up using assets from a previous game just to see how they would look. There was no actual gameplay footage, or screenshots from anything that looked like gameplay. Could have just been rendered.

$60 is probably just a placeholder price though. I doubt even Nintendo would charge more than original price for a remake of a game that came out just over 10 years ago, almost eleven by the time it is released. That's something I can't stomach after paying $20 for masterful HD versions of the best versions of both MGS2 and MGS3, for example.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

greatn posted:

$60 is probably just a placeholder price though. I doubt even Nintendo would charge more than original price for a remake of a game that came out just over 10 years ago, almost eleven by the time it is released. That's something I can't stomach after paying $20 for masterful HD versions of the best versions of both MGS2 and MGS3, for example.

Given their pricing of that 25th anniversary Super Mario All Stars disc $60 for a Wind Waker HD release would not surprise me at all even if I think it's too much.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Atomicated posted:

Given their pricing of that 25th anniversary Super Mario All Stars disc $60 for a Wind Waker HD release would not surprise me at all even if I think it's too much.

What was their pricing for the Super Mario All Stars disc? And did it include some kind of book?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The 25th Anniversary Mario release included a CD and art book(let) but the game itself was literally just the All-Stars SNES ROM on a disc, completely untouched (and not even the version that included SMW). They charged $30 for it and said they'd only be printing a certain amount of units but it sold so well they did a second run.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It'll be $60 and we're not gonna like it but we'll buy it anyways because Zelda and we're fools.

<-- This guy here is a big fool and will buy it at whatever price.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

FPzero posted:

It'll be $60 and we're not gonna like it but we'll buy it anyways because Zelda and we're fools.

<-- This guy here is a big fool and will buy it at whatever price.

Sega could release Skies of Arcadia for Wii U with a bare minimum HD update at $59.99 and I'd probably buy it.

Same to Monolith re-releasing the Baten Kaitos games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sega's just going to shove out Skies of Arcadia HD onto PSN and XBLA for $10-15 sooner or later, they've already hinted at doing it with Skies and Shenmue.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Sega could release Skies of Arcadia for Wii U with a bare minimum HD update at $59.99 and I'd probably buy it.

Same to Monolith re-releasing the Baten Kaitos games.

Yes yes yes to all 3 of these. I would be interested in WW if I hadn't just replayed it. So unless its got some big new feature I'm not interested. I really want to replay Skies of Arcadia. I hope they remake that. Please please please. Baten Kaitos are both great too. I'd buy both again but the first is by far my favorite.

Edit:

Right now Im playing Xenoblade. (HAPPY LOUISGOD?) Can I get an idea of how far into it I am? Im about to get into the Prison Island

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 4, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if it's $60, but yeah I'm pretty sure that's a placeholder considering they have the release date as 12/31, just like Pikmin 3!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Edit:

Right now Im playing Xenoblade. (HAPPY LOUISGOD?) Can I get an idea of how far into it I am? Im about to get into the Prison Island

Somewhere around halfway, possibly a little less.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bombadilillo posted:

I'd say close if not halfway. There's still a lot of content to go through, especially if you plan on doing sidequests/end game bosses.

I'd buy a WiiU then rather than later if they include a good amount of new content into WW.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Bombadilillo posted:

I was at the 30ish hour mark at that point and beat the game at 120 hours sooooo YMMV.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Louisgod posted:

I was at the 30ish hour mark at that point and beat the game at 120 hours sooooo YMMV.

I've run about 40 hours and what was in that spoiler box is unfamiliar to me. This is why I avoid playing again. I know there's so much more to do :gonk:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
So here's a thing I did that I hope will be helpful

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

AngryCaterpillar posted:

So here's a thing I did that I hope will be helpful

I wanted to jump on a goomba in Super Mario Bros. on the virtual console with the balance board, this is bullshit.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

I hope I'm not the only one who likes the bloom in WWHD.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Widdiful posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who likes the bloom in WWHD.
I like it as well, and it'll be great to see how they'll handle the lighting for different weather and the time of the day. Those things were some of my favourite side-mechanics for this Zelda game, it just looked really nice.

I wouldn't mind paying $60 either, but that's probably because this is my all-ime favourite Gamecube game along with Super Mario Sunshine (which I hope to God they'll make an HD version as well, but probably not.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mario Sunshine actually would be seriously effected by not having analogue triggers. You could change water pressure and go from a stream to a blast by pressing the button at the bottom of the trigger.

• Locked thread