Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Well, I'm glad I stopped watching the anime when I did. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

lotus circle posted:

Don't forget the episode previews, where different characters talked over the clip show of the next episode with hilariously out of place dialogue bits. I remember it easily being the best parts (which is probably a bad thing).

Ah yeah, those. They were kind of funny. Ore wa Jakku Bauaa.

The anime had some wonderful voice actors, but even they couldn't really salvage the terrible dialogue.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Wili posted:

Shiny777, do you have any plans for the Extra TIPS? Would it be cool with you if I posted an update with the Tsubasa adaptation of "Notes form a Certain Cook"?

Feel free. I don't have much in the way of solid plans regarding those. Might acquire Tsubasa later to show off some of the more interesting ones, but that probably won't be for a good while yet.

First update of the next episode'll probably come toward the end of the week. Only just got around to actually updating the patch and doing some quick checks to see if it fixed a couple glitched/missing bits I recalled, probably won't start actually prepping an update until tomorrow, and want to try and start getting a backlog built up again.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

tiistai posted:

Oh boy, Umineko anime. Basically what happened was that DEEN took the story and sucked the life out of it. Not completely unlike what happened with Game of Thrones: they had to condense a huge amount of text into a few episodes and still managed to emphasise the wrong parts.

I agree 50/50, but I keep in mind that trying to adapt a mammoth like Umineko into 26 episodes of 24 minutes each is pretty hard to do. There will be loads of parts cut off, and some parts not even shown to the audience (from the top of my head, there's one in episode 2-3 involving Battler).
In my scenario, I watched the anime series first, then read all 8 episodes and then re-watched the anime series. Some stuff in the anime is subtle and you will see it after reading all 8 episodes. I do agree that the voice actors made the whole thing better, since they are pretty drat good overall, like for example Sayaka Oohara's laugh (which is pretty easy to notice it).

If I were to grade Umineko, out of 10, it would be a 6. It's not bad, but it's not great at a series.

Now to hope for 5-8 to be adapted, which will never happen.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
Umineko Extra TIPs
The Extra TIPs were a series of side stories set in the Umineko setting that were released by 07th Expansion during various doujin events and the like, when the main Episodes were being published. Some are silly non-canon stories, some are short essays in the genre of mystery and some contain clues and details of the games' backstory.

Later, most of these TIPs where adapted to the Sound Novel format and collected into a couple of fandiscs, Umineko no Naku Koro ni Tsubasa (Wings) and Umineko no Naku Koro ni Hane(Feathers).

Today, I bring you the first of these stories, pulled from Umineko no Naku Koro ni Tsubasa: Notes from a Certain Cook

A lot of stories here.

This is the one we want. They are not in order. None of the side blurbs have been translated, unfortunately.

Uh... maybe I should not have put this up on a Internet forum... Sorry Gohda, I am afraid quite a few people are going to read these lines now.

At first, I was told that Rokkenjima was a considerably small island. However, compared with the image I had of an island like a flat tatami mat, like the back of a whale where a single palm tree would be growing, pictured by my poor imagination, Rokkenjima seemed to be of a considerable vastness.

On a map, it'll certainly look small, but when you take into account that it's a private island, with only the mansion of the Ushiromiya family built there, its vastness becomes something unimaginable.

I often remember how the presence of the imposing mansion on the other side of the beautiful rose garden greatly surprised me when I first arrived here. Not even in my wildest dreams, that my life as a cook would lead to being called out to be an exclusive cook for multi-millionaires, like what happens in mangas or fairy-tales...

But more than pride and tradition. and it was also a fact that the bonds there were strong. But everything erupted when the head chef, who coordinated the cooks through his strong charisma, decided to retire due to illness.

To a cook of skills and pride above others, the only person they are able to respect is a cook who surpasses them. That's why, as long as the head chef kept his authority, no matter how inflexible, impertinent or young we were, we all made our work as one. So, maybe this was the inevitable consequence when the head chef decided to retire all of a sudden.

We were split into a few factions. The most popular one in the kitchen was expected to become the head chef. That person was highly valued for his respectable achievements, skills and leadership over the enthusiastic juniors.

However, that person was also strong willed. It was hard to say he got along well with the hotel side in particular. What the hotel side needed was a cook who would be able to show satisfactory results with suitable budgets and deadlines, not a cook who would go against the deadlines and budgets in order to show satisfactory results. ...That discrepancy of priorities with the cooks became trouble.

He gave a strong impression of being more interested in being toady to the big shots than polishing his skills as a cook. Instead of improving his cooking skills, until today, he seemed to spend time only aiming at the position of the next head chef.

In the end, that man was installed as the head chef. The person we expected to get that position ended up being his assistant. We could not agree with that result, but we started to put the kitchen to work under that setup to see how things would turn out for a while.

However, the differences with the predecessor obviously appeared right away and the dissatisfaction among the cooks exploded. There were many cooks who could not endorse his methods that disregarded their pride as cooks, and certainly, I was among them.

Before long, we decided to force the hotel side to the negotiation table by slapping our resignation letters at them, assistants and sympathizers, all together. It was an atmosphere that seemed to say there was no other way besides that anymore.

...Thinking back now, maybe I lacked self-consciousness that, at the same time I was a cook, I was also an employee of the hotel.

From the start, the assistants did not seem interested in those reckless methods. I'd only notice that later. After all, being young at the time, we were enthusiastic about raising in revolt at last, with the assistants too, and scare the hell out of that drat irritating new head chef.

But as a result, what we got at the end was an unexpected twist.

The assistants were dissuaded from resigning at the very end, and they did not join the coup d'etat.

...To tell the truth, the hotel side seemed to think it was a nice chance to purge the kitchen where the factional infighting had aggravated. Moreover, they dissuaded the useful talented ones from resigning and purposedly overlooked the outbreak of the coup d'etat.

I did not get that dissuasion. In other words, it meant the hotel side had a nice opportunity to fire me. We, the young ones at the time, insulted the colleagues who did not take part and called the assistants traitors, and planned for a strike, but...

A cook is a cook because he makes food. And if he doesn't make food, he cannot make a living.

Starting with the calmer ones, one by one, they quietly backed out from that uproar and disappeared after getting another job. ...Only after reaching that stage, I finally realized how inexperienced I was.

The title of a former cook of a well-established restaurant can be a weapon, but it can also be a weight. To find another job is not an easy task. I tried to find employment at restaurants and hotels of the same level, but, all participants of this industry have strong horizontal bonds, details of the troubles were already well-known and I heard that they even circulated a letter telling that, if they hired the people involved with the troubles, they would have to reconsider their relationship from there on. There were absolutely no signs that a chance to call myself a cook again would arrive...

Really, you are already taking advantage of the cook's rebellion to get rid of them for no compensation, was it really necessary to ruin their future careers?

A certain multi-millionaire was looking for a live-in cook, he said.

When I heard the story, the pay was not bad at all, but I had the impression that the working conditions would be quite severe. That junior told me this in return of a past favor he was indebted to me. From what I heard, a multi-millionaire family was looking for an exclusive cook. They demanded someone very skillful. However, very skilled cooks are normally attached to somewhere and there's no way they are free. They also have bonds of gratitude to that and there's no way they'd thoughtlessly resign just because they are shown a high salary. In other words, it means it's a perfect job offer for a person like me.

To work as an exclusive cook in an isolated island... Not a bad situation. Besides, my economical situation doesn't allow me to be picky anymore. And there's also the status that can satisfy my youthful pride.

Besides me, there were more than 10 cooks gathered there.

To be honest, maybe I was the oldest one there. ...Being in the middle of a bunch of young ones, in its true meaning, in spite of thinking I'm still young, I end up feeling overly self-conscious. But, the young cooks were inspired as well. If they had more experience, they'd probably become wonderful cooks. But in terms of experience, I really had the upper hand here.

Also, I was highly valued for my skills when serving the customers, which I learned with the previous head chef. It's evident, the difference between a cook who doesn't leave the kitchen and a hotel cook who takes the food himself to the VIP customer and even has a pleasant talk with him. That's why I had a feeling that I would get the job.

But, even so, it was also possible that they'd prefer to hire a younger one, reasoning something like 'Habits from other workplaces will cause trouble instead'. In the end, though, it was all in the hands of the divine.

If the heavens were the ones deciding your fate, you probably would not be working on that island.

That's why, later, when I was informed that Madam Natsuhi gave the final word that I'd get the job, I could see an aureola shining from her.

And thus, I became the exclusive cook who would serve the Ushiromiya family. During my contract, I must absolutely not make food to any person except for people connected to the family, an extremely exclusivity that stimulated my pride most of all. My food won't be offered to anyone but the relatives of the Ushiromiya family!

Not bad. And thus, my second life started at the mansion of Rokkenjima...

Too uninteresting to write. That's why I have decided to write about interesting things, about my life working in Rokkenjima.

Don't be like that. It was good knowing how you got the lucky break of getting the job on the island of gruesome murders. Even if doesn't seem to contain any new clues for your soon to come horrible demise.

And the most interesting thing is probably the legend about Beatrice, the Golden Witch.

Now we are talking.

All over Japan, wherever you are, there are stories about curses, malediction and such. Of course, the hotel I used to work also had many of those stories. So, I remember that, when I heard about such story in my new workplace, I put up a bitter smile and thought, 'Aah, those stories in this place as well?'

Even so, this one is different.

Most of japanese ghost stories are about ghost or youkais.

This one is about Beatrice, the Golden Witch, so... I got a quite uncomfortable feeling from it. However, this mansion of the Rokkenjima family gives you a sensation of anachronism, so even if a ghost like Oiwa-san with her head wrapped in a triangle bandage were to come out, you'd probably only snigger at her instead. Maybe ghost stories suit this mansion after all.

You would probably snigger at her in any other situation too. The triangle bandage looks really silly.

And that very Lady is the night ruler of this mansion, and if you lack respect for her, you'll face a cruel fate, things like that.

According to what I heard, a servant spoke ill of Beatrice-sama, and it seems she had to retire because of a serious injury... Well, something like that. If a misfortune takes place, they'll say all of it is the curse of Beatrice-sama. Meaning that, when the misfortune happened, it's not unlikely that there'd be an atmosphere of pushing the blame onto the person who didn't show respect. I understood that right away and made sure not to forget to show fear for Beatrice. But, inside me, I'm sneering at her, there's no way such absurd things exist...

Death Flag Count: 1

This ghost story of Beatrice was blindly accepted by the senior servants. 'Respect or you'll be cursed', by means of that, it was just as if there's an atmosphere like, a real person dies an unnatural death... And the ghost becomes respected.

There's a strong air telling us to be really discreet about speaking ill about Beatrice-sama, or to make light of her, and even if we were chatting over tea, we could not speak carelessly about her.

Humans are interesting. When you live among that kind of people for so long, you really start to get such feelings. I was starting to fear that, one day, when passing by in front of the huge portrait during the rounds late at night, her eyes would glare at me.

Even so, I was above mere ghost stories.

Death Flag Count: 2

...At least, that was what I say at first.

The night rounds are pretty hard because we have to check if all the doors and windows are closed inside this huge mansion. However, since the people of the family are already asleep, as a servant, I can relax a bit.

I heard footsteps too. Since I had thought that Master and Madam were already sleeping and I was kind of slacking around, I got greatly flustered and tense.

That floating shadow, I had seen the impression of a something like a female figure. Among the servants, there's no one with a silhouette like that, so I immediately thought it was Madam or Milady. Somehow, it looked like the silhouette of something like a negligee.

However, when I think about it carefully, that was quite a strange story. Madam is an extremely serious person who always said that the corridors inside the mansion were the same as public roads. In others words, she meant people should not walk around in the corridors in indecent clothings, such as pajamas.

Even when the people of the Ushiromiya family were at home, they were always using formal garments. When people are at home, they should relax wearing more comfortable clothes, but such logic doesn't apply to the Ushiromiya family.

Actually, I have already seen Milady being censured by Madam about her clothes being out of shape, and receiving reprimands.

That's why, when I think carefully, that silhouette was not supposed to be seen inside the mansion. The more I remember about the silhouette, the more I think that it couldn't be someone from this mansion...

The place where I saw that silhouette was the reception hall. In other words, in front of the portrait of Beatrice-sama. Now that some time has passed, it got more eerie than the moment when I saw the silhouette.

...After I wash and tidy up the tools, I'm planning to clean the grand staircase. ...What is it?

He is a servant boy who uses the alias Kanon and is allowed to have the one-winged eagle. From the start, I thought I wouldn't be able to to get along well with him, but now I don't have that intention.

...However, since that moment was so unusual, it made me want to talk to him about it. He has been serving longer than me, ...he knows details about Beatrice-sama's ghost story. And yet, I talk to him as though I'm in higher position.

I talked to him with that feeling.

I wanted to talk to someone about that experience.

I didn't care what would happen If I talked to him, but If didn't talk about it to someone, I wouldn't have calmed down.

I see, now I understand well the feelings of the barber who couldn't help but to scream 'The King Has Donkey Ears'...

...Have you experienced something similar, Kanon-san?

Is Gohda writing down all those ellipses on his personal notes?

He remains silent, motionless, and stares at me with eyes as though evaluating me. ...It was as though he was a cat pondering about whether to stay or run away.

When I thought he had plainly ignored me, Kanon-san answered me.

Once, when I was doing the rounds, during my shift, late at night. .........I have seen a golden butterfly.
Golden butterfly...? ...Don't they say that when Beatrice-sama appears, they fly around to announce her?

That's how it went.

Butterflies shining gold are an omen of Beatrice-sama appearing, as they say.

That was like the mapping out a location, very similar to will-o'-the-wisps that appear before a ghost shows up. However, different from the will-o'-the-wisps, the golden butterflies don't have an ominous image. If I had to say, then I'd say that it is a beauty I'd want to see at least once, if it really existed.

...However, if I happened to meet them during a night round, all alone, I'm sure they'd look really ominous.

...Among the old servants, we are told the golden butterflies announce that Beatrice-sama will appear, ...and if we follow after them, we'll probably be able to meet Beatrice-sama, but we are also told to not follow after them.
So, Kanon-san, you didn't follow after them?
Yes... That would be the same as disrespecting Beatrice-sama.
...If I remember, a servant who followed after them had a serious injury and resigned, right?
I've heard of that. ...Beatrice-sama is tolerant with those who respect her, but they say she's cruel with those who lack respect.

"Supernatural beings will gently caress you up if you disrespect them" is a thing that appears often in Ryushiki's work. Both his previous work, Hgurashi, and the following one, Higanbana, feature it heavily.

Kanon-san's mood felt like even talking unnecessarily about Beatrice-sama was a blasphemy. ...I felt something beyond only hatred for me.

Sorry for wasting your precious time. I probably made a mistake. ...Perhaps I mistook it for Madam or Milady walking around in pajamas.
...................Madam and Milady going out to the corridors in such clothings is something that would absolutely never happen.
But I saw a figure. It was white... it had an image like of a female wearing a negligee.
.........I've never heard that Madam and Milady had pajamas like that.

I cannot understand. I don't want to recognize that the witch exists just because of that. ...I wanted to clarify who that shadow was. And, perhaps, that intention appeared on my face. Upon realizing that, Kanon-san, as though giving a warning, says this:

.........Gohda-san. You're not to say bad things. ...For your own good, I think you should be careful with acts that might profane Beatrice-sama
Haahaaha, no, no. That's not my intention at all.

Eh? Kanon-san, you did?
Yes. ...I had the same expression Gohda-san is putting up now. I once felt doubt when on the existence of the enigmatic witch which the old servants insisted so much that I showed respect. ...I even thought about disclosing her true form, should she have one.

That was unexpected.

Here I was thinking he blindly believed Beatrice-sama, but he's telling me he had doubts on her existence in the past.

...... Now I got even more uneasy.

And why do you believe her now, ...Kanon-san?
........................... Because I was shown, ......a miracle that only a witch could do.
No, not a miracle. That was a warning. ..........Beatrice-sama gave me a warning for doubting her existence and profaning her.

Once again, he gets silent.

However, I wanted to do something to clear that haze inside my chest, so I did not simply withdraw

Before long, he was beaten by my persistence and told me about the 'case' where he came to believe in the existence of the witch...

In a certain day, he stored the tools in the gardening storehouse and cleanly tidied it up. He then forgot to return the key of the gardening storehouse to the keybox in the servants room and went to bed with it in his pocket, he said.

You can only open or close the storehouse shutter with one exclusive key. There's no master key or spare key for it. In other words, that night, nobody could have entered the gardening storehouse.

And on the next morning.

In order to do the maintenance in the rose garden, he opened the gardening storehouse to pick the tools and was surprised.

The interior of the storehouse that was supposed to be thoroughly in order was a complete mess,

...moreover, there were an eerie drawing painted that looked like a magic circle, made with blood-like red paint on the floor, according to him.

What an absurd story... If Kanon-san was with the key the whole time, wouldn't the gardening storehouse be a closed room? There's no way anyone could make a mess out of the interior of the storehouse and be able to draw such weird figures.'
............I could not believe it at the time, as well. ...Even now I can't forget the shock of when I opened the shutter and the inside of the storehouse looked like a tornado had passed through there and the eerie magic circle drawn.

Certainly, if that happened, there's no way it's not eerie. However, couldn't we think like this? It's also possible that it was an elaborate prank someone prepared to frighten you.

Gohda's tragic death early in Episode 1 prevented him from showing off his secret detective skills. Let's see how he handles this case.

Yeah, that's right. You are young. To tease you, the other servants played that prank on you, huh?
......But, I had the key. At least during that night, there's no way anyone could have entered the storehouse.
Wouldn't it also be possible that there is another spare key that Kanon-san doesn't know about?
.........No, there shouldn't be.
How can you say that with certain? Kanon-san believes there's no spare key. However, you can't prove that it 'doesn't exist'. The truth is that a spare key might exist without Kanon-san's knowledge, isn't that so? If we think like that, that incomprehensible closed room case can be explained as someone's prank.

Huh. Not all that different from Battler, really.

For a bit, I felt like I had become a great detective. Of course, he didn't object to this explanation.

My mood improved and I ended up criticising Beatrice-sama. There's no way witches exist. I'm sure they are just seeing things wrong, many of the incomprehensible incidents the witch caused can be certainly explained through some sort of trick or fortuity.

Death Flag Count: 3

At that time, the expression Kanon-san showed, eyes wide opened, I'll never forget it. It was as though his face said: 'You'll never get away unharmed after saying those dreadful things' ...as though frightened at the vision of a fool daredevil... a face like that.

That uncanny expression of his got stuck in my heart like a thorn. I got carried away, and remained there for a while...

That was a rare day when Master Kinzo-sama went out.

Kinzo, out of his study!? Out of the mansion even? The only explanation I can find is that booze has run out and only he knows the secret password required to access the mysterious shop where he purchases his devil grade absinthe.

And besides that, Master, Madam and even Milady were be absent because of a trip, meaning the whole Ushiromiya family would be gone from the island, a very rare day, indeed.

Probably tracking down Kinzo. If only Krauss could find the secret to Kinzo's awesome alcohol he could solve all of his money problems.

Because of that, the shift chart had a small number of people assigned, so, that day, only Genji and I were on duty. It's often said that 'when the cat's away, the mice will play'. I remember it was a really pleasant day.

Genji-san remained the whole time at the servants room and was very busy with paperwork. Because of that, I, secretly and carefreely, took a stroll through the rose garden and had a toast to the roses with a beer can and persimmons. It was really pleasant, a wonderful day that made think it would be nice to have a day like this once every week.

A beer can and persimmons?! I never expected Gohda to fall this low.

Because of that, I only had to prepare meals enough for me and Genji-san, so I got through with it easily. Since the food did not gave much trouble, the tidying up too was simple. Since it was a rare opportunity, I cleaned the kitchen more diligently than usual and wore a large smile at the sparkling sink.

He took advantage of his master's absence to be more diligent in his cleaning. "mice will play" indeed. So dastardly.

Genji-san was in charge of the rounds, so I returned to the servants resting room when finished my stuff, and then healed the fatigue of the day taking a shower carefreely. I wasn't really tired or anything, but spending the day out at the rose garden got me beat...

Genji-san is a person of the opinion that it's not polite to make phone call in the middle of the night, so, even if something urgent happened in the middle of the night, he'd rather not use the phone and, if possible, go up to the room of the other party and knock at the door. Since it's Genji-san who is calling, what on earth could have happened, I thought, and, in a rush, I picked the receiver while covering myself with a bath towel.

Did something happen? The answer to that was really simple.

Considering it's Genji-san, it's strange that his voice sounded a bit nervous.

Just by the tone of voice, it made me realize that certainly something weird had happened.

...However, what on earth would have happened?

Speaking of which, the kitchen, to me, was my stronghold. If I take that some ineptitude had happened there, it will be my responsibility for sure. ...However, in my particular case, would I make any ineptitude in the kitchen? At any rate, I changed clothes once again and rushed towards the kitchen.

And then... I probably will never forget what I saw there.

I want you to help me. It's too much for me to manage alone.

Looking at this bizarre situation, I'm more surprised at how Genji-san's surprise was only expressed in the nervousness of his voice...

In any case ...my dear kitchen, that I had tidied up to be so well-organized ...should be perfect ...............why is it like this.......

On the counter, ...the pots and bowls that had been polished into silver colour, ...were piled up, ...like a children building blocks. And around it, the cookware, such as the ladles, were lined up radially ............It's better to describe that, at the first impression, as a totem pole made with the cookware by natives or something of the sort.

Moreover, ...there was blood-like red paint, thick, kind of surrounding them.

...An eerie magical circle-like thing was drawn.

This one did not appear in the previous Episode. This the personal symbol of the Prince of Hell Gaap, the 33rd ranked of the demons described on The Lesser Key of Solomon. He rules over the element of water and the water demons. He can make men invisible, reveal the past, present and future, and carry his conjurer between nations in an instant.

...Hold on, I just realized what happened here. Kinzo summoned the Prince Gaap to smuggle him and his alcohol back to Rokkenjima so Krauss would not spot him, then dropped by the kitchen to troll Gohda. See, it can be explained without need for ridiculous witches. Kinzo having high-ranking demons at his beck and call is a perfectly reasonable assumption.

Needless to say that shivers went up my spine...

...Gohda. We must not show this to the other servants. Let's hurry and tidy it up this night.
Tha-tha-tha-that's right... Let's tidy it up... Wh-who would have done this...!

That was a strange story to speak about.

Today, there's only two people in Rokkenjima, Genji-san and I.

Seeing that I'd never do such an absurd thing, ...the culprit is automatically Genji-san...

No, ...would Genji-san do such an absurd thing...?!

What would he gain doing such a prank?! Does he want to harass me?! But, Genji-san himself is tidying it up like this. Why would he scatter things around himself and then tidy it up himself? Would he do such a pointless thing just out of a mere will to scare me?! That's unimaginable!

If I seek for the culprit behind this grotesque magic circle prank. ...Besides the Golden Witch, Beatrice, I can't think of anyone...

Ge, Genji-san, when did you notice this...?
When I finished my round and was about to return to the servants room, I noticed that the door of the kitchen had been left open. ...When I took a peak, it was in this state.'
Could it be... a burglar...?!
Everything is perfectly locked . Besides, there's no way a burglar would take the trouble to come to Rokkenjima.

Anyway, Gohda, you tidy up the pots. I'll erase this.
E, excuse-me, I, heard from Kanon-san, you know, that there was something like this before, at the gardening storehouse... Th-this kind of thing, I mean, ...does it happen often...?

Maybe I should not have asked that. Even though his mouth was moving, his hands didn't stop moving, but now Genji-san stops his hands and raise his face with a seemingly grim face...

I'm-I'm sorry, please, don't scold him! I was the one who insisted...! More importantly, please tell me! This kind of thing, I mean, ...did it happen often before as well...?!
...Occasionally. It's a prank that does happen.
A-a prank, you say, but who would! After all, there's only Genji-san and I here, you know?! Who would be here besides us?! Of course it was not me! Then, did you do this, Genji-san?! It doesn't make any sense at all!! Then, what does it mean, who did this?!

Just be silent and tidy it up. ...Do never reveal this to anyone. Of course this includes Master Kinzo-sama, Master Krauss, Madam and, naturally, Milady as well. ...Kanon will be punished later.
I'll never say a word, so please, tell me! Then, Genji-san, will you tell me that this was done by Beatrice...?!
Don't speak of that name recklessly.
...Wh-why?
...The servants who calls that name recklessly, for some reason, don't last long here. Gohda, your cooking skills are highly appreciated by Madam... It'd be troublesome if you were to quit.

:stare: Yikes

That sounded like a small threat.

And at the same time, it seemed like he said that he half-understood that this was done by Beatrice-'sama'... These strange cases... perhaps, they are not limited to the case of the gardening storehouse. And every time they happen, they are dealt with before they are noticed by the people of the family and are covered up, there's no doubt...

I, I won't speak carelessly ever again... so please tell me. Is this, ......Beatrice-sama's, ...doing?
......................... I think it is... In the previous cases, there were even more incomprehensible incidents. In a clearly impossible form for a human being.
What... kind of thing...............?
...A young servant who was doing the night round saw a golden butterfly and went after it. Upon arriving at the back door she had already closed, she lost sight of it and gave up.
If I'm not mistaken, when you see a golden butterfly, you're not supposed to go after it, right?
Yes. And when she turned around...

Beatrice is really good at speed-painting this one

...A magic circle like this one had been drawn on that whole wall there.
Eh?! Then, then... that young servant followed after the golden butterfly, gave up and ...when she turned around, it was already drawn there, is that what you mean? In the gap of a mere few seconds when she was with the back turned to the wall?!
.........She would not have overlooked the wall like that. She strongly asserts that nothing was drawn on the wall at first. And she said it happened in the few seconds gap of when she checked that the back door was locked and turned around to go back.
No-no-no-no way, you're kidding me... Wasn't that a joke of the servant's...?
...She contacted me and I came to help her to erase that. ...It had a complicated pattern. It's definitely not something you'd be able to draw in a few seconds. And also, I definitely don't think it'd be something you'd overlook. That servant had a high fever immediately after that, was hospitalized and had to retire. After that, it seems she returned to her home town. She never contacted with us afterward.

............This is absurd....... No-no, maybe even that was an advanced prank as well! Or rather, that young servant must be the culprit behind the prank and, by doing that, she made fun of everybody, something like this...

Death Flag Cou- God dammit Gohda, you just promised not to speak carelessly less than a minute ago, are you actually trying to get picked as a sacrifice by the key?

.............. Indeed, that point of view might be valid. ...Now, let's stop with the chattering. However. I myself had a first hand experience, ...with something definitely impossible for a human being.

Genji-san stops talking there. .........And after a long silence, he ignored me and resumed the cleaning...

Genji-san, who is thoroughly serious regarding work and, in that sense, a very pragmatic person, keeps silence only when it comes to Beatrice-sama...

Genji-san's silence tells me that the witch is real in a much more eloquent way than a billion words.

We finished all the cleaning. Even if we tell anyone that such a weird totem pole and magic circle were in the kitchen, nobody would ever believe it.

I tried to forcibly erase the events of that night from my mind by soaking my brain in strong alcohol. And now, after a long time has passed, I've concluded that it was just a bad taste joke from someone, possibly.

What does Beatrice need to do so you will believe in her already? Kill you?

But, even now, sometimes, it's dreadful.

First thing in the morning, after I wake up, I enter the kitchen to prepare the breakfast.

.........At that time, I fear I will find something like the cookware piled up in an eerie way again.

I want to forget about it by writing it down here.

And here is where the original TIP ended

Gah! Don't do that!

Ok, now it actually ends. drat trolling witches.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Wili posted:

...Hold on, I just realized what happened here. Kinzo summoned the Prince Gaap to smuggle him and his alcohol back to Rokkenjima so Krauss would not spot him, then dropped by the kitchen to troll Gohda. See, it can be explained without need for ridiculous witches. Kinzo having high-ranking demons at his beck and call is a perfectly reasonable assumption.

... or, alternatively, Genji and Kanon were conspiring to screw with the newbie's head.

LeeDless
Mar 28, 2010

Shiny777 On January 22nd posted:

First update of the next episode'll probably come toward the end of the week
Are you okay? :ohdear:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

LeeDless posted:

Are you okay? :ohdear:

Considering he posted in the Fire Emblem LP earlier it's probably just a little burn out.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

TheDavies posted:

... or, alternatively, Genji and Kanon were conspiring to screw with the newbie's head.
Pretty sure Genii and Kanon aren't capable of things like pranks.

I mean, I wonder if its possible for them to smile, let alone play a prank.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Oh goody. I've read a lot of the TIPS already but never bothered with Tsubasa and Hane.

Most of the kanji in the sideblurb is too drat small for me to make any sense of. The first line is pretty much "Gohda has become an exclusive cook in Rokkenjima." Can't read the second and can't bother to find out.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

I'm fine. Things just...haven't gone quite as planned re: getting updates done. Am almost done with the next one, though, so it should be up within the next couple hours.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So as to not distract from the upcoming update...

The translation on that TIPS section wasn't done by the same people as the main game, was it?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Kytrarewn posted:

So as to not distract from the upcoming update...

The translation on that TIPS section wasn't done by the same people as the main game, was it?

Right. The TIPS were translated by various people, not all of whom had anything to do with Witch Hunt.

edit: That particular one was translated by a former WH staff member, theacefrehley. He's Brazilian.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 4, 2013

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Part Twenty-Five: Back Before The Beginning

And so we begin Ep2.

Blah blah blah, explanation of the translation notes and obligatory disclaimer, all the episodes have these and I probably won't bother including them again.

Shannon found a pair of hammerhead sharks playfully swimming in the tank, running around like a grade schooler seeing an aquarium for the first time.

: "Yeah, they're really cute. I almost want to eat them."

And we go from Battler throwing the gauntlet down at Beatrice and Bern showing up to...George and Shannon on a date. Rather than simply rewinding to the start of the murders, it goes back to well before the two days to show off some extra backstory bits.

: "...Uh, ...um...err..."

: "Those clothes look good on you. Really."

Shannon embraced her chest with both hands in embarrassment.

...She apparently felt like she was being made fun of for wearing these clothes that she wasn't used to.

Even though George's face didn't show it, the truth was that he'd said something so completely unexpected that it surprised even him, and he was as embarrassed as Shannon on the inside.

Nevertheless, ...he had thought that such embarrassing expressions wouldn't even show up in manga these days.

On the contrary, if he had seen another couple acting like that, he'd feel like throwing rocks at them.

However, even if rocks were thrown at us now, I'm sure they would be just like confetti celebrating us.

Now, I can't even remember those lonely days...when I felt jealous of couples who were completely oblivious to their surroundings.

To use an old-fashioned phrase, these would be rose-colored days...

I'm so entranced that I don't even notice the big tank of the world's largest aquarium.

Instead, I see Shannon rejoicing and playing with the fish.

: "Is that so? That's amazing. ...It's really wonderful. It doesn't even look like a tank at all, but rather like they sliced off a part of the sea with a knife and brought it here."

: "I agree. This is a splendid little sea."

Despite its size, I hadn't thought of the tank as anything more than a tank.

That's why I thought her expression about cutting of a part of the sea with a knife was so interesting.

No matter how far humans broaden their experiences, they stick to their own view of the world in the end. Maybe that's why it's so interesting to mingle with people who have a different worldview.

I was honest when I said that.

Then, she responded.

: "The sea is finite too. But, even if the sea were infinite, how much could we cover in our whole lives? I'm sure that it would only be a miniscule fraction of the sea."

: "...Certainly. It's ironic, isn't it? Even though the world is so vast, most of us live our lives without ever leaving our own country."

: "If they believe that this place is a complete world, then it would be a wonderful world, a sea...even if it were in the bottom of a narrow well. ...A sea in the eyes of the frogs that live there."

Shannon, who spent her days as a servant on a small island 10 kilometers in circumference called Rokkenjima, said that with a smile.

A minor inconsistency in the opening cast list. Rudolf is listed as Rudolph. It was the same back in the Ep1 list too, it turns out, so it's not just a one-off error.

This buffet would certainly cause any boy's heart to jump about.

I myself was like that in the past.

But with Shannon beside me, this buffet felt different.

I couldn't shamefully pile on only the things I like.

I was...how should I put it...worried about my appearance and choose a menu suited for a snob, toast, salad and coffee.

...A quick breakfast, a small lunch, and a cup of misery is a snobbish meal? Seriously?

If I were by myself, I'd have made a pile of oily stuff like yakisoba, mash potato, gratins, and the like.

: "Shannon, is that enough for you? If it is, then I guess we men are animals with really bad fuel efficiency."

: "...Umm, I, I didn't mean to imply that..."

The first few updates of the episode are basically gonna be stuff like this, by the way. The game takes some time to do some character/relationship bits like this before it finally gets the next mystery going.

And by the first few I mean “this one plus maybe the next 4 or 5?” because this stuff is like a quarter of the episode.

: "George-sama, will that be enough for you? I think it's better for men to eat a little bit more. ...I imagine that you would normally eat more than that during lunch, right?"

: "Oops, really? You must have figured out how much I eat when I had lunch on the island."

: "Yes. So, is your stomach not feeling good today?"

Shannon suspected that I wasn't feeling well.

It seems that I've made her worry with my stupid attempt to show off.

Besides, it didn't seem that my stomach would let me show off any longer.

: "...Gah, ahaha... I'll confess already. I was just trying to look cool... I just held back because I was with a girl..."

: "It's not fair for only me to be embarrassed. What about you, Shannon? How do you manage your work for the Ushiromiya family while eating so little?"

: "...Umm, uh, ...au."

Shannon grew silent and blushed bright red.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one showing off.

When I realized that, my embarrassment disappeared completely.

:"My, my, that isn't enough for you, is it? Yes, normally, you eat more than this for lunch."

...Wait what? So Shannon has...some kind of enchanted witch stomach?

...Is Beatrice her disembodied digestive system?

: "Then it must mean that we were both showing off to each other. Let's not hold back anymore, shall we?"

I smiled to show that I wouldn't make fun of her anymore and stood up from the seat.

: "After finally coming to Okinawa, it would be a waste if we didn't eat some bitter melon. I think I'll even have some fried bitter melon. Shannon, come with me. C'mon, c'mon."

: "Aah, yes...!"

To anyone watching us, we might seem like a pretty humorous and embarrassing couple.

After I returned with a plate piled up with fried food, Shannon arrived with a lovely cake.

While laughing at our fake stoicism, we resumed our lunch.

: "Even though it's a restaurant with a view of the sea, it's so cloudy."

Luckily, from our window seats we were shown seaside scenery so grandiose that it didn't fit entirely within our field of vision.

However, because of the cloudy sky, it was a far cry from its normal beauty.

: "That's right. If it were clear, we would undoubtedly see a deep blue sea."

: "Yep. Even though I imagine you're used to the sea at Rokkenjima, normally, the sea here surely should have been an exceptional blue color. ...It's a real shame."

: "Aah, but..., no matter how blue it is, the sea I see during work might as well be gray. But, today, I'm not working so, ...I mean..."

Apparently, Shannon was doing her best to say an embarrassing line. But I didn't let her get off easy.

: "Wanna hear what my reward was?"

: "Umm, ..., uh, if you wouldn't mind..."

: "No. I won't tell you. Ahahahahahaha."

: "Th, that's no fair..."

When I was in elementary school, I was always the kid that got bullied.

When everyone teased me, I grew nervous and speechless, to the delight of the bullies.

Back then, I wondered why everyone teased me.

But now, teasing Shannon like this, I understand why.

This is so much fun.

George stop making your relationship unnecessarily creepy. Jesus, dude.

That's why I have to treat her lightly.

I don't want her to get embarrassed and think bad of me.

That's why I decided to end this topic here and now.

I didn't want to be too obstinate.

: "When you've finished your lunch, do you want to take a walk on the beach? Maybe the clouds will clear up and we'll be able to see a picturesque sea."

: "That's right. I want to go see it."

: "Yeah, let's do it. ...But, that looks like a really delicious cake. I wonder if I should get one like that too."

: "Shannon, you won't stop liking me if I get fat, will you...? After all, I wouldn't stop liking you if you did."

: "I, I didn't mean it that way... If you don't take good care of your body, your health will..., au."

: "Mother warns me all the time too. Still, I also wonder if I should start doing some exercises or take up Tai-chi-chuan."

: "You should start reconsidering your eating habits and go on a diet, instead of just exercising more. And furthermore, I heard that if you don't keep on exercising as well, you won't get any results."

: "In other words, you're telling me to not eat cake, right? Then, I guess I'll just have to gaze at you while you stuff your cheeks with that cake, Shannon."

Even so, I boldly and meanly pushed that plate away.

She blinked her eyes in surprise.

She could't seem to figure out if that was a refusal of the cake or not.

So I winked, opened my mouth, and said 'aah'.

*chomp*.

It had the flavor of cheap chocolate you could find anywhere. Still, it was exceptional.

Because eating cake in such an embarrassing way, as if we were a couple of perfect fools, had been my dream for many years.

It made this cake's flavor heavenly...

If the Earth is destined to end someday, I wouldn't have any regrets if it happened right now.

...It was such a moment of bliss.

In the end, the clouds never parted.

And yet everything still looks bright and sunny.

However, we both believed that our eyes were still reflecting a deep, blue sea.

Except when it doesn't. Is it shifting back and forth between how they're seeing things in their bliss and how things really are, or did they just gently caress up with the backgrounds? You decide!

: "...I'm, ...a servant of the Ushiromiya family. For someone like me, ...to be hanging out with a member of the Ushiromiya family... Umm, ...It just seems like too much for me."

: "I'm also surprised. I didn't just meet you yesterday or today, Shannon-chan. We've known each other for years now. But, we can only meet during the annual family conference. ...I never imagined getting into a relationship where I could spend time with you like this. It's the same for you too, right?"

It's honestly like 50/50 probably.

: "...You're right. ...I really think, ...that this is truly magic."

: "But, you know, that's not quite right. Every time we met, the Shannon within my heart kept becoming more and more beautiful. If the same thing happened to you, then the fact that we are here today is simply an inevitable consequence, rather than something caused by magic or a miracle."

: "...No. A miracle did happen, George-sama."

She stopped walking on the beach, gazing beyond the sea.

: " ...A miracle?"

: "No, magic. ...It happened."

I was bewildered by that slightly mysterious expression, which I sometimes heard her use.

: "...Magic, you say?"

: "You mean, like a good-luck charm?"

: "Yes. Maybe it was something like that. ...Except that it wasn't a charm, ...it really was magic."

: "...Hmm?"

Shannon wasn't the only one who'd want to credit an encounter on a miracle or serendipity, it might be a universal thing all girls share.

For a man like me, 70% of an encounter with a girl is an endeavour to try and please her, while 20% of it is raw courage. And the remaining 10% is luck.

What she chooses to believe weighs little in my thoughts.

...Maybe that way of thinking is in itself calculating and typical of men.

That's why I answered her the way I did.

: "You're right. ...If the same fate were repeated a hundred times, maybe you and I could get into a relationship like this only one of those times. In the other instances, even though we would be aware of each other, maybe we would have only maintained a reserved relationship after all this time. Compared to those otherworldly selves, we are undoubtedly in a miraculous relationship."

: "It's not like that...it really is magic. ...No matter how often you tell men something like this, they'll never believe it. Kanon-kun didn't believe me at all, either."

: "...I believe you. ...Because I wouldn't want to break the magic by not believing in it."

: "George-sama..."

In a small voice, I told her that I was sorry for making light of the magic.

Those words seemed to be very pleasing to Shannon.

Because if the two of us believed in the magic of love, that love would be eternal.

: "You know how you call me 'George-sama'? It's not that I dislike it, but would you not call me that anymore? Of course, you have to keep up your appearance with the Ushiromiya family, so I wouldn't force you to do so during your everyday routine at Rokkenjima. But, when we are alone, I'd rather you didn't call me that. Yeah, let's create that rule."

: "A, a rule? I, if I violate that rule, what would happen...?"

: "Hmm... Maybe we should have some kind of punishment game if you transgress the rule. ...Yes, what should it be...Wanna hear?"

: "N-no, I don't want to hear..."

: "I, ...I also, ...have another name...Sayo."

: "I got it. The rule must be fair. I'll also keep it, and from now on, I'll have to call you Sayo. Alright? Sayo...?"

: "Y-yes."

I embraced her shoulder.

Then I forcefully embraced her entire body while she dived into my chest like a doll.
As I held her head in my arms, we looked at the horizon.

As we gazed at the gray sea and a light rain began to sprinkle down, we kept listening to each other's heartbeats.

It wouldn't let me forget the memories of the day when my old fate was broken and smashed.

In the past, tomorrows were literally like a mirror to me.

The person I am now, was always projected there.

...It was a tomorrow absolutely no different from today.

That was my old fate.

...But at that moment, for the first time, I saw a different fate beyond the mirror.

So I try to choose to know love, and become a person.

...Those days were like sweetly melting honey, ...but then, I hadn't realized that they were the beginning of the days filled with a new kind of suffering...

I came to this small island on a motorboat that I had just learned how to use.

No, I couldn't possibly call it a small island. It'd really be more appropriate to call it a reef.

Even in a place like this, I took just one more look around to see if there was someone who'd find fault with me being here.

...The only things I could see were the stormy ocean, Niijima looming in the distance, and the waves breaking against Rokkenjima's steep cliffside.

I readied myself, ...timidly approached the small shrine, ...and took the mirror that was offered to that place.

It was an old-looking mirror, dim and dirty.

...If it were an ordinary mirror, that'd probably give you a terribly bad impression of its value.

...However, since the mirror had been offered to this small shrine, it made you feel some kind of divinity.

...And I noticed.

...No, this is not really a mirror.

...This is my life that I could not escape until today, and my fate.

I'll break it.

I'll break it, ...and seize a life from beyond the mirror.

If I don't break it, my life will forever be a pair of facing mirrors. Nothing will ever change in the slightest...

Because I ended up knowing those maddening sentiments.

Just as Adam and Eve felt compelled to pluck the fig leaf.

By now, ...I must break this mirror.

Until today, I had fought for many days.

Inside my heart, the virtuous part of me and the part that sided with the witch repeatedly fought each other.

And now, here I am.

Did the part of me who is here win or lose?

There's only one thing I know.
To obtain something, you must be ready to lose something.

The cowards who don't risk loss and never try to change anything will never receive the key that opens the path to a new future.

The key is already in my hands.

The key is to break this. To break it.

Is there any other effort I can make, as furniture imprisoned in Rokkenjima?

No. There's nothing but this.

I raise the mirror high...

...and think back on the preceding days of conflict,

...and, finishing my reflections in the blink of an eye,...I throw it.

The thunder roars, ...crying out against me for my outrageous act.

...Certainly, that was the hatred of the angels who were trying to banish me from eternal paradise.

: "...I, ...I kept, ...the promise...Now, ...it's your turn to keep your promise with me, right...?"

A thunder roars once more.

...I'm already banished from paradise.

That's why I have to struggle by myself in order to live.

The witch said it. That's the sole element of the world.

To lose it means to lose the world.

...Like how a canteen with a hole on the bottom can't be filled, no matter how much water you pump into it...

...Well. So Shannon struck a deal of her own with Beatrice, it seems. A broken mirror and who knows what else in exchange for making her not a chair anymore so she can pursue ~True Love~.

And also a magic stomach I guess.

Current bio screen. For now, only the two of them show up.

The actual profiles are the same as before, but for the moment they have their alternate clothing here. I'm pretty sure the start of this episode is the only time they ever actually wear those, which is the justification I'm using to be lazy reason I didn't bother making alternate portraits for them.

TIPs screen has the epitaph, and I'm not reposting the whole thing because we've seen it in full in a bunch of places already.

And the Grimoire's back to just the explanation of the translation notes and Basic Japanese Honorifics 101. This is going to be a constant through all of the first four episodes, and the epitaph's going to keep its spot for a bit longer as well, so they're more things I'm probably not going to show again.

Next time: Faust.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Thank you for posting this extra TIPS for Umineko! I wasn't expecting a side-story about Gohda to be as good as it was, but I loved it, especially the art. Also, I would always be on edge with Krauss in the same room as me.

edit: Umineko's mystery deepens...

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 4, 2013

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Shiny777 posted:

: "Shannon, you won't stop liking me if I get fat, will you...? After all, I wouldn't stop liking you if you did."

I supposed that this would be a good time for this. George's original sprite is slightly pudgy, and it's become a joke that George is incredibly fat.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Oh god, Shannon/Sayo breaking the mirror lets Beatrice become more powerful, doesn't it? :(

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Well, it looks like they fixed the worst sprite from the original fairly well. Shannon's outfit here in the original looked like a maternity dress.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Shiny777 posted:

this one plus maybe the next 4 or 5?

It's been a long while since I read any of these, but I hadn't remembered the beginning to be that slow. Anyhow, I think it'll indeed be chair love instead of economics this time.

All the episodes (1-4 at least) are great in their own special way and this is no exception, I can't really put them in any real order of preference.

and yeah George's PS3 sprites aren't nearly fat enough

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Man seeing the old sprite art brings back memories. I know some people hate it, but I think it has a little bit of charm to it personally. But I understand why people prefer the PS3 sprites above all else.

And yeah George is kind of creepy toward Shannon just a little. Mostly because he's 23 or 24 if I'm remembering right and she's 16. George's outfit in this is actually supposed to be a slight reference to a character from Higurashi, who he shares some similarities with.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

lotus circle posted:

Man seeing the old sprite art brings back memories. I know some people hate it, but I think it has a little bit of charm to it personally. But I understand why people prefer the PS3 sprites above all else.

And yeah George is kind of creepy toward Shannon just a little. Mostly because he's 23 or 24 if I'm remembering right and she's 16. George's outfit in this is actually supposed to be a slight reference to a character from Higurashi, who he shares some similarities with.

I'm pretty sure he's not that old. Jessica, Battler, and Shannon are all in the 16-18 range, in fact I'm pretty sure they're all 17. George is only a year or two older than Battler, so he's 20 at most, leaving an age gap of only 1 to 4 years, if my memories are right. Regardless, none of them are independent, so seeing how George has a reputation of maturity, him living with his parents in his mid-20s is a little farfetched.

edit:Okay, according to the wiki, they're all 18 and George is 23. Still only a 5 year gap.

Fates End fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 4, 2013

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The important thing is that George is still fat in his heart.

Also yes welcome to Umineko pacing. 2's opening is possibly the very slowest segment of the entire series.

This also gives us a chance to underline how Shiny's heretical PS3 sprites remove the cats from Seacats. You are a bad person, Mr Shiny :mad: not really

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 4, 2013

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
After reading this update, I realized I miss George's old sprite costume. Not the one he usually uses, but the one he used when he went out with Shannon. The ugly shirt that had ''Tomitake FLASH'' written on it.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Walterion posted:

After reading this update, I realized I miss George's old sprite costume. Not the one he usually uses, but the one he used when he went out with Shannon. The ugly shirt that had ''Tomitake FLASH'' written on it.

How can he not win Shannon's heart with this outfit? :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Autumncomet posted:

Oh god, Shannon/Sayo breaking the mirror lets Beatrice become more powerful, doesn't it? :(

It's possible that's what released Beatrice in the first place.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I wish this update had gone a bit longer, since I still have absolutely no idea what's going on, or who the narrator is going to be in the next chapter.

Assuming that it is George, and assuming that each time we go through the motions we get more information, that would mean that Battler is just as stupid as we always thought he was (A bit of a Candide with his whole "Let's flip the chessboard, flip the chessboard, flip the chessboard" spiel), and we're only going to figure everything out when we get to see events through Kanon's eyes (or whatever) at the very end of the cycle.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kytrarewn posted:

I wish this update had gone a bit longer, since I still have absolutely no idea what's going on, or who the narrator is going to be in the next chapter.

Assuming that it is George, and assuming that each time we go through the motions we get more information, that would mean that Battler is just as stupid as we always thought he was (A bit of a Candide with his whole "Let's flip the chessboard, flip the chessboard, flip the chessboard" spiel), and we're only going to figure everything out when we get to see events through Kanon's eyes (or whatever) at the very end of the cycle.

From how I read it George was the Narrator first then it switched to Shannon.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Umineko will shift POVs and narrators often.

Battler's still the main character.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Umineko will shift POVs and narrators often.

Battler's still the main character.

Will he stop being so? :ohdear:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Xoidanor posted:

Can't offer you answers, only patience. EP2 will eventually tell you what's the main deal with Umineko.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Xoidanor posted:

If he doesn't stop being an idiot, probably yes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Battler isn't an idiot in the first place.

He's just out of his depth.

He's basically the only thing keeping an all powerful god from rising up and starting a new reign of terror thanks to sheer stubbornness. And now he has to engage in some battle against her to prove her nonexistance.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 5, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
So is this LP going to keep going or what?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really hope this picks back up, reading people's reactions/theories is the best part about Umineko threads.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 25, 2013

LeeDless
Mar 28, 2010
We've gone longer than three weeks without an update before.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

I haven't given up on this, have just had some time issues. However, I'm finally caught up on coursework for the moment, Awakening has stopped taking up most of my free time, and I've already got the next update about half done, so I should have it finished and posted in the next couple days or so. I'm hoping I can get things more or less back on track after that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Don't worry I think Awakening has caused delays with like, half the LP subforum.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Shiny777 posted:

I haven't given up on this, have just had some time issues. However, I'm finally caught up on coursework for the moment, Awakening has stopped taking up most of my free time, and I've already got the next update about half done, so I should have it finished and posted in the next couple days or so. I'm hoping I can get things more or less back on track after that.

No need to rush it though. A rushed update can become quite a mess, and this is the moment where the series begins to pick up to what most of us know about.

So it's kinda important to have it right.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Part Twenty-Six: The Footstool Who Wanted To Be A Real Girl (Section A)

(Click for the Ep2 OP)

For some reason, it actually plays the Ep1 OP again here, but... There are three OP videos in the game files, Ep3, from some quick ctrlskip-fueled double checking doesn't seem to have an OP, and the third video does show up properly in-game in Ep4, so I'm assuming the second one was supposed to be for this episode. Doesn't have any spoilers from future stuff in it or anything.

Also, this is the first time the game shows off its tagline/the source of most of the thread title, “No Dine. No Knox. No Fair.” ...Plus some other sort-of-Engrishy bits accompanying it.

Back to the days when I could barely imagine the happiness I have today.

I was a middle schooler at the time.

A normal girl, who imagined about love, as is normal at that age.

But I really should not have seen that dream.

...Because I am furniture.

Furniture is nothing more than a tool, and is not human.

To a person less than human such as myself, just receiving my education was more than enough to make me happy.

So even thinking about love was more than I deserved...

On this day, Eva's family had visited the head family on Rokkenjima.

The three people from Krauss's family and the three people from Eva's family had gathered in the parlor, and were having a friendly chat as they reported the news.

Genji had supposedly told Kinzo of Eva's family's arrival, but he hadn't come down yet.

...He was probably immersed in his own 'research', and couldn't spare the time.

This often happened, so the others waited patiently for their fickle father to come down.

: "Thank you very much. I have been able to gain truly precious study from several of Father's elders who he has introduced me to. Everything I learned was something that couldn't be learned in school."

: "You learn math and language in school, right? What you really need to learn is the right attitude for learning more. Once you form that basis, you can finally start a long period of study that'll last your entire life. People who don't get this and don't spend their whole lives learning are fools! They might get full marks in math and language, but they'll be useless for their company!"

: "Hmm, that is exactly right. Hideyoshi-san, your education policy is always truly excellent."

: "...Sheesh. Are you still holding a grudge about that test score? I'm studying for tests as best I can. At least don't say it here. Pissing me off."

When praising George for his diligence, the conversation sometimes turned to Jessica, who hated studying.

Jessica made an openly displeased face, as though she'd known it would come to this.

: "My, my... Doesn't it seem as though, in addition to study, Jessica should also learn how to speak a little more lady-like? That is shameful for a daughter who bears the Ushiromiya family crest."

: "My, isn't that fascinating, right? Times change. The time when we had to dress modestly to entertain men ended a long time ago."

: "That's right, that's right! I knew you'd understand, Eva oba-sa-n! Eheheheh!"

: "...Haah... My headache is truly trying today."

: "Are you alright? Natsuhi oba-san, your face looks off-color."

: "Wasn't Jessica-chan the same? And now she's a lady who fusses over how to put on makeup. You really are particular about your eyebrows. You look really cute today."

: "Thank you very much. Nobody noticed, so I was a little worried."

A full smile rose to Jessica's face as the results of her own 'studies' were finally noticed.

Eva smiled back in the same way. ...Then, she turned that smile towards Natsuhi.

: "Come on, Natsuhi nee-san? You must take notice of small changes in your own child. Poor Jessica-chan. Even though she probably wanted to first be noticed by her mother, right?"

: "No problem, no problem. That person never notices anything."

: "Jessica. I cannot admire you calling your mother 'that person'. Apologize."

: "...Later, I will speak to you at length about your language."

: "Che... If kids are a burden, just say so. I'll get out of the way. It's getting stuffy in here."

: "Jessica...!"

Jessica was still at the age where she was a novice at studying for tests.

Recently, she had clashed often with her mother, who was enthusiastic about her education.

: "Ah, Shannon. No need to worry about my tea. I'm just going to wander around the garden."

: "...M, Milady..."

: "Shannon, the tea is getting cold. Serve it quickly."

: "M, my apologies..."

Shannon hadn't actually done anything wrong, but Natsuhi, who felt like some shame to herself had been shown, lashed out at her emotionally.

...This was something that often happened in the Ushiromiya family.

But it seemed that Shannon wasn't strong-willed enough to accept it that way.

Her pitiful appearance dispersed the peaceful atmosphere that had been there until just a moment ago.

That wasn't really Shannon's fault, but she thought she might be the source, and felt a pressure on her chest.

Her shaking fingers made the utensils clang, and you couldn't have complemented it as graceful.

The more pitiful everyone thought that was, the greater the silence grew, the more irritated Natsuhi looked, and the more Shannon cowered...

Shannon's thin neck felt like it was being suffocated and chocked by the death god of tension.

At that time, George spoke pleasantly, blowing away the stiff atmosphere.

: "Ahahahaha. It probably is Earl Grey. When you get back to the kitchen, check the can."

: "Hoh. George-kun, you know a lot about black tea, don't you?"

: "A company president who looked after me was very knowledgeable about black tea. While listening to his lectures, I was able to learn a little."

: "Oh yeah, the president of Okonogi Foods. That person's profound knowledge was his specialty!"

There's another Higurashi reference in there, though it's one better explained at a later point when it becomes plot-important.

: "The names of black tea often refer to the place they are made, right? So is this something cultivated from a place called Earl Grey?"

: "I have heard that long ago in England, there was a person called Earl Grey, and it was named after him. Furthermore, this distinctive smell doesn't come from tea leaves, but from a fruit called a bergamot, which is a relative of the mandarin orange."

: "Is that so? I never knew that. Knowing that, the black tea will taste even more delicious."

: "Alcohol and cigarettes are the same. Luxury items have a taste of romance. Knowledge like this deepens the taste."

Really, even if medicine can have a “taste of romance,” I'm thinking reading the information on it would NOT be the way to enhance that. Have these people never seen a list of possible side effects?

: "Shannon-chan, try opening that pot. You should find some dried bergamot mixed in with the tea leaves."

: "Ah, ...yes. It is in there. Something like dried orange peel is mixed in."

: "Yes. That's probably bergamot. The main ingredient in Earl Grey's scent. The scent is vivid, so it gives the taste an intense impression, but it's a docile taste that's easy to drink. If you make it with milk, the scent may become more mild and wonderful. If there's anything left in the pot after you've poured for everyone, you really should try drinking it with milk."

: "Ah, ...yes... Thank you very much..."

George gave her a small wink.

Shannon finally realized that George had been doing her a favor by calming down the atmosphere in the room. And he had been doing it for her sake as she had cowered.

Thanks to George's concern, Shannon was somehow able to get a hold of herself and finish serving everything safely.

If she was calm when she worked, she could easily carry out her tasks elegantly and flawlessly.

When the black tea was laid out on the table and the elegant scent drifted around, the room was completely back to how it had been, in a peaceful mood, as everyone praised George's knowledge.

Shannon wanted to thank him for saving her, but it didn't look like she would get the chance.

So she at least thanked him inside her heart, praying to God that George would hear it, and pushed the serving cart away.

Shannon and Jessica could be seen in the rose garden.

Jessica, who had gotten into a fight with her mother, still hadn't returned to the parlor, and was nonchalantly killing time like this.

: "...When I think back on it, I feel that maybe this wasn't the first time he has helped me like that."

Whenever I made a careless mistake, and George was there, he would always naturally smooth things over and make things harmonious, I think.

...Maybe it wasn't something as direct as picking up a fork that had been dropped.

But that was his way of caring.

Even servants have pride. They want to fix their own mistakes by themselves.

...Because if a guest helped them out with that, they would lose face.

: "Hmmmm..?! ...Shannon, you haven't fallen in love with George nii-san, have you?"

Shannon had uncharacteristically refuted Jessica's words forcefully, so Jessica had struck back.

: "No, ...that's not it, I think..."

: "Come to think of it, I almost never hear anything bad about George nii-san. Huh? I think I remember hearing him say that family-oriented girls were his type, didn't I? Nice, that fits you perfectly, Shannon!"

: "I, i, it does...?! How could, ...I am not, umm, ...qualified, like that..."

: "You sure are qualified! You've known his face since long ago so you're almost a childhood friend. They say that in a natural relationship where you don't realize you're a boy and girl, once you do realize it, things go on without a hitch, right? No doubt!"

So I'm just gonna toss out a little sidenote here. This bit here, showing how her relationship with George got started? A few things that are offhandedly mentioned here peg it as happening two years before 1986 at the latest. In 1986, George is 23 and Shannon is 16.

It is distinctly possible they started dating when she was about 14. While he was in his early twenties. Because it just wasn't quite creepy enough already, was it?

But this was certainly the first time she had noticed George as a member of the opposite sex.

She was furniture, and George was an honored guest connected to the Ushiromiya family.

...She had thought that she wouldn't be allowed to even imagine any deeper relationship.

So she hadn't thought of it.

Jessica poked fun at it, even more happy that it was someone else's problem.

Shannon was doing her best to make sure that her blushing cheeks weren't discovered.

So if George had shown up at a time like that, there'd be no way that she would be able to keep her cool.

They saw George come out from the entrance hall of the mansion.

It looked like he had seen them as well.

He headed over, waving his hand.

Shannon had to frantically try and regain her ordinary composure before George reached them...

: "You shouldn't speak that way. ...However, I think Grandfather may think of us as the angel of death. Anyways, when they started talking about borrowing money for business, I came over here."

Man. Are you seriously implying Kinzo regards his spawn as anything other than annoyances/potential sacrifices, George? Really?

That's right, this wasn't the customary annual October family conference.

Eva's family had visited to apply for a business loan from the head family.

Kinzo had vast resources, and he lent those out to his children.

Of course, they did not borrow money because they were living in poverty.

...What kind of business would they expand, using the vast amount of money that they borrowed?

How much interest would be attached, and how long would they have to repay it?

This wasn't a loan for those who didn't keep it. It was a loan for those who were on the offense.

Kinzo strictly judged whether it was worth lending out his fortune, and afterwards, he strictly oversaw its use.

So this spectacle where relatives visited Rokkenjima and explained their business to Kinzo sometimes occurred.

: "My family's also completely stingy. Even though there's probably some money left over, and they could lend it out graciously. My dad and Grandfather will probably pigheadedly act so important."

: "It's natural to be prudent when lending money. Of course, my father will use what he borrows to expand his business, and he came with a plan that could be refused. Everything else is left up to the presentation. ...But I really wish I could watch from the corner and learn. Mother chased me out. I'm a little let down."

: "...It seems that the Master still scolds Krauss-sama and Eva-sama as though they haven't changed since they were kids. I'm sure she didn't want to show that to her son, George-sama."

As Shannon hung her head, she thought back on a scene familiar to those who worked in the mansion.

Kinzo: constantly finding new and innovative ways to be the best dude.

In the Ushiromiya family, taking care not to be in the same place when this happened was one of the great tasks of the servants.

...However, that meant that every time Shannon was in the same place, it was a mistake.

: "Probably. ...Realizing that and going away may be a child's duty. ...We-ll! Even so, the flowers in this garden are truly splendid this year."

George stretched as he said that.

...And he smoothly changed the subject away from something that was a little gloomy.

This time, Shannon noticed it too.

...This person, George, could sensitively figure out the situation, and always changed the subject to something harmonious, out of concern.

It had been so smooth that Shannon hadn't noticed it until today.

Today, Shannon had to really admire that behavior of George's.

Almost all of the boys Shannon knew of her own age had been classmates during her education.

But they were all young, ...and none of them had had the composure that George did.

Even though he had been just another guest until a while ago, ...today, she couldn't describe him with just that.

But that was idle thinking compared to her work as a servant.

Shannon tried to chase that away with a small shake of her head.

: "Um, ...umm..."

: "Hm?"

: "...Umm, ...thank you for your concern back then..."

Shannon was finally able to put her thanks into words.

If you wrote it out, it wouldn't be very long, ...but Shannon had needed just a little courage to say that out loud.

But George played dumb.

: "What's this? I don't remember doing anything I should be thanked for? Fufu."

It seemed he was being a gentleman in his own way, saying that he hadn't helped her because he wanted to be thanked.

It seemed that George's response had been more or less predictable to Jessica. Without thinking, she burst out laughing.

: "See-? This is it, isn't he a show-off?"

: "N, no... That isn't..."

Jessica made fun of Shannon as she remained silent, red-faced.

George didn't know the details, but he naturally joined in, laughing the same way.

George, as the oldest cousin, talked about his life experiences.

Jessica talked about recent life on Rokkenjima.

And Shannon talked about her recent work.

They kept going on about these trivial things.

Shannon, even if she found the others' stories deeply interesting, didn't feel particularly connected to their contents.

She was nothing more than a servant, and she had no intention of delving into her master's lives.

She wanted them to enjoy their time speaking with her, and was only pretending to listen intently and nod at the right moments.

But for some reason, she found talking with George deeply interesting today.

Even for things that she would normally ignore, she felt like she could feel a kindness hidden beneath the words.

For some reason, she wanted to know more things about George, no matter how trivial.

So..., she stared fixedly at him.

But she had never been aware of these things until now.

She might not have met him many times, but she had known his face for many years.

Even so, she had not noticed once until now.

...So Shannon was embarrassed that she hadn't been able to notice, and she blushed.

Maybe George thought that Shannon was listening to his stories intently, because he kept on talking about himself.

...But Jessica didn't miss that slight change in Shannon.

So she turned the discussion around to the topic Shannon wanted to hear about most.

Normally, just George's reaction would have been answer enough.

But for some reason, as she was now, Shannon wouldn't be able to understand it unless he said it clearly.

: "Um, ...umm... George-sama is very nice, ...so I'm sure, ...umm, ...he's very popular..."

: "No, err, ...hahahahahahahahahaha."

: "Quit it Shanno~n. Isn't cornering him like that actually pretty me-an? *cackle*!"

: "I, I wasn't trying to be mean..."

Like the weight worries last update, this really works better with the slightly-pudgy-looking original George than the generically handsome one the PS3 version gave us.

: "I, I don't think that's true. ...And, I think that a man's charm is decided by something that can't be measured by his appearance. Th, that's why, umm, ...I think that you might be a, um, ...very charming man, George-sama..."

Shannon was uncharacteristically verbose.

Compared to how she normally was, this was very verbose.

George looked fairly pleased about hearing his own charm described, but he was just a little surprised at this high praise.

Jessica, sure now that her own imagination was right on, acted as though she could barely hold back her laughter.

: "Thank you, Shannon-chan. I hope I can quickly run into a girl gracious enough to feel my charm."

: "Yes, I'm sure you'll run into one. ...I'm sure there's at least one, ...no, a l, lot of girls that will recognize your real charm."

Maybe she wanted to say that there was one really close.

...Shannon avoided saying that much, drawing a final line as a servant.

: "Well, I'm sure you'll eventually find a wonderful partner, George nii-san. But I don't think you'll be able to escort your partner as you are now, ri-ght? It looks like you're diligent, but it seems that you've been completely abandoning your study of 'that'."

: "...S, sorry about that. I'll start studying that bit by bit."

: "How would you do that by yourself? Are you gonna watch movies about love? Or are you gonna learn from Hideyoshi oji-san? *cackle*cackle*!"

: "Che... Acting so triumphant. Men aren't a match for girls when it comes to that."

Normally, when George and Jessica got together, their parents would say 'George is diligent and admirable', and 'Jessica is lazy and rude'.

So it was probably unbearable fun for Jessica when their roles were finally reversed.

George also realized that, so this time, he was content with being the one who was teased.

: "Then George nii-san, as long as you're okay with it, why not practice a bit with Shannon? You'll keep Shannon entertained all day long on a date! What do you think?!"

...Yes, Jessica. Have the twenty-one year old man practice romance by taking a fourteen year old servant out on a date. Presumably in public. Surely there's no way that could go horribly wrong!

: "Wh, wh, what are you...! M, Milady...!"

When she heard Jessica's audacious plan, Shannon's face turned bright red with a 'poof', and a doughnut of smoke started to rise around it.

: "I, I, ...I also, umm..., ...don't have a person I have feelings for or anything, so, umm, ...caring for me like that is, yes, i, it's unnecessary...!"

Shannon's blood had all rushed to her head, and it looked like even she didn't know what she was babbling about.

It seemed that Jessica, who knew how Shannon normally was, found that really comical.

She couldn't hide her cackling laugh anymore.

: "...I, is that true...? I can't believe that a cute girl like you would be single, Shannon-chan..."

: "I, I, I, ...am a servant so, umm, ...I don't have any relationship with a boy, umm..."

: "Which means that, in the future, if Shannon's gonna have any chance of getting herself a wonderful guy, she needs practice with relationships, right? So you each want the same thing. Alright, that'll work nice, *cackle*!"

Jessica irresponsibly cheered the two of them on.

Now, George was also hanging his head, red-faced.

: "Ah, M, M, Mother...! Sorry, our conversation got complicated. I didn't notice...!"

: "Oh, Eva-sama..., my deepest apologies..."

: "It looks like you young kids are getting really excited. You're all about that age. I know it's hard to stop talking about things like that. *giggle*giggle*giggle*."

: "Come o-n, aren't you still really young, Eva oba-san? Please tell us how you and Hideyoshi oji-san me-t."

: "Oh my, there's no way I could say that. *giggle*giggle*giggle*. Because you're all so young. *giggle*giggle*giggle*."

: "S, so, what is it, Mother? You called because you wanted something, right?"

: "Your father and the rest have finished talking. We're going to talk to Grandfather about you, so come on."

: "About me? What could that be?"

: "The same topic everyone was just having. Remember, that topic?"

: "O, ...oh, that topic. That isn't really something we need to talk to Grandfather about, right...?"

: "No, no...! Didn't I just say I didn't have a special woman?"

: "That isn't something to brag about, is it? ...Seriously."

Eva smiled bitterly, looking a little shocked.

: "...Ah, ...I got it! George nii-san, it's one of those, right? A marriage meeting!"

: "A marriage meeting..., you say?"

: "...Nn, ...well, yeah. ...Hahahaha..."

Surely, as a man, George wanted to find a partner by himself and take her back with him.

So it seemed that he thought it would be a bit shameless to meet his partner for the first time in a marriage meeting arranged by his parents.

: "Shouldn't marriage meetings be done at a more mature age...?! I still don't feel like I've become an adult..."

: "Of course, we have no desire to rush into an immediate engagement or marriage, right? It isn't a problem if you deepen your friendship, and then when you settle down as you age, have her moved to our family register."

From Eva's forceful appearance, and George's somewhat lazy one, the others could catch a glimpse of the scheme behind this marriage meeting.

Oh no, an arranged marriage keeping George and Shannon apart... :geno:

: "Marriage isn't something you do after you start liking someone. You fall in love after you do it, right? If you marry just based on emotions, you'll definitely regret it. There's definitely nothing wrong with choosing a person with a secure background for your partner in life, and then building up emotions of love."

: "Eva oba-san, isn't that rude to Hideyoshi oji-san? *cackle*!"

: "I love that person. I want to always be with him, and to live my life by his side."

: "...Eva-sama, that's wonderful. Truly splendid..."

: "Thank you. But we built up those feelings while we were husband and wife, you see? And I believe that in the future, we will be much, much closer than we are now. I think that's a good way for a husband and wife to be."

: "Although I don't think that means you can argue that it's alright to marry someone you don't even like."

: "...Th, that may be true, but..."

: "I am proud of you, my only son. I want to make you grow so that you will never be embarrassed no matter where you go. ...And you are the only grandson to carry Father's blood. ...We must prudently choose a fitting partner for you."

: Ahem?

As everyone related to the Ushiromiya family knew, Eva adored George so much that he was the apple of her eye.

But that didn't mean she had pampered him.

She had been strict with him, and had grown him into a handsome man who wouldn't betray her expectations. ...That's how he was the apple of her eye.

: "Your partner definitely won't be selected based on your parents' profit and loss. ...I will let you meet a suitable and truly wonderful woman. Maybe there is some immature youth inside of you that's alienating you from this. ...But at least listen to what your mother says on this point. Have I ever failed to think of your sake?"

: "...No, ...you haven't..."

: "That's enough for now. So, let's go. We're keeping Father waiting. Hurry to the mansion."

: "Well, Oba-san will go too. Sorry for interrupting your fun conversation, Jessica-san, Shannon-chan."

: "N, no, no. Please, don't worry about it. Come on, Shannon. Let's go."

: "Y, yes...!"

: "It's alright. I'm sure you'll meet someone wonderful soon too, Jessica-chan. A wonderful person suitable for you."

: "So if he's at the same level as me, hahaha, you mean a guy with bad grades? That kinda pisses me off, hahaha!"

: "And of course, you too, Shannon-chan. I'm sure that a wonderful man suitable for you will appear."

: "Y, yes!! Thank you very much..."

As Eva giggled and smiled, she approached Shannon's ear with a hand over her mouth, as though she was trying to tell her a secret.

: "...Huh?"

I mean it's got a pretty standard looking setup for drama going here but. It's kinda shot in the foot from the word go since we already know they get together anyway and the arranged marriage goes nowhere for whatever reason. Fortunately, the game doesn't bother trying to milk that angle anyway.

: "...Th, ...that's not what..., ...I meant..."

: "George is the eldest grandson carrying Father's blood. He's a person who may bear the burden of the Ushiromiya family someday in the future. To answer that expectation, he has studied tirelessly, entered a wonderful college, and is getting wonderful grades. Did you really think you could snatch George away, you uneducated, incompetent, unqualified, uncultured servaaaant?"

Way to crush a 14-year old's dreams, Eva! No matter what curveballs Umineko tosses out, no matter how many times it pulls the rug out from under us, take comfort in one constant: no matter the year, or the place, or the situation, the Ushiromiya adults will always remain colossal dicks*.

Those malicious words all poured into Shannon's ear without spilling a drop...

...To Shannon, it was like cold water was being poured in there.

: "...I, I, ...didn't mean..."

This was all whispered in secret.

And with the same smile as before.

...Jessica, who could only see Eva's expression, didn't think it was anything other than Eva telling Shannon some embarrassing story about love.

When their secret conversation ended, Eva patted Shannon's shoulders, as though she was urging her on.

: "Yes, see you later. Then, please tell me about your story with Hideyoshi oji-sa~~n!!"

: "No waaay. Ahahahahahahahahaha...!"

Eva laughed dryly and headed back to the entrance hall.

Behind Jessica, who was cheerfully waving her hand, ...Shannon reflected very, very deeply on those words of Eva's, about knowing her place...

*The Ushiromiya adults may or may not always remain colossal dicks no matter the year, place, or situation.

(continued in next post)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Part Twenty-Six: The Footstool Who Wanted To Be A Real Girl (Section B)

I had forgotten. I am furniture.

Furniture isn't human.

So I am a being who must feel gratitude for even being treated like a human, and I am not permitted to wish for anything more.

Even if people develop affection for furniture that they're used to using, that is an emotion on the human's side, and the furniture's side has no right to hope for that.

...They should just serve with simple honesty every day.

But that feeling I felt when talking with George-sama and Jessica-sama, ...is a forbidden drug for me.

In other words, it may be an emotion I must not know.

Natsuhi's words 'too careless' were right on the mark.

Even Shannon couldn't believe that she hadn't noticed Natsuhi until she had called.

This was a time when she normally had to concentrate on the cleaning.

But she had just kept sighing and hadn't accomplished anything...

: "Even if there aren't any guests, you must always be alert. Acting like this is shameful as a servant working for the Ushiromiya family."

: "...Yes. I will take care, from now on..."

: "The head and my husband will return very soon. Has the study's cleaning been completed? Has the staircase's cleaning been completed?"

: "M, my apologies... Not yet..."

: "...That's because, umm, ...I wanted to clean it properly, so it took some time..."

Shannon was simple and honest, so she would always carry out her tasks seriously and properly, without any omissions.

So she was always slow with her work.

In contrast, Runon skillfully avoided important steps wherever she could.

So she could compete her jobs with a result looked similar to an outsider, but in a much shorter time. In other words, she was good at cutting corners.

Compared to that, maybe we should say Shannon, who talked back at Natsuhi when Natsuhi was in a bad mood, was bad at cutting corners...

Of course, there was nothing that Natsuhi couldn't stand more than a servant talking back.
Her forehead creased, and she spoke sternly.

And yet, her slow, admonishing style of speech was even more terrifying, and finally made Shannon realize she had said the wrong thing...

: "Y, ...yes, Madam."

: "That is good. Servants should endeavor to only use those words. The next time you talk back, I will give you an even more severe punishment, so with that in mind, engrave these words in your heart."

: "Yes..., Madam. ...Thank you for your guidance."

: "You are welcome."

As Natsuhi acted like her headache was troubling her, she headed off down the corridor...

Even though I'm bad at everything I do, I should be able to at least carry out the cleaning as well as an average person can, right? It's because I can't even perform that well, ...that I'm so shameful and crying.

What could be more shameful than this?

Not only have I been unable to perform a single bit of cleaning well, but just now, when Natsuhi was scolding me...I was envisioning that person appearing and rescuing me.

If only George-sama were here.

Would he casually step in and save me?

I envisioned the kind of person that would be an appropriate partner for him in a marriage meeting.
And I envisioned how unfitting I am for him.

Eva clearly told me that. It has repeated endlessly through my dreams...

Kanon was suddenly there.

...His footsteps were quieter than a cat's, and he left no trace he was there.

She probably wouldn't have noticed him no matter how long he stood there...

The expression on Kanon's face was, ...hatred.

He made that expression for Shannon, who didn't know how to do it herself...

Under normal circumstances, distinguishing Kanon's hatred from Kanon's apathy takes years of specialized training.

: "You mustn't use such dirty words... Dirty words pollute your clean soul, Kanon-kun. So at least don't use those words in front of me. ...Alright?"

: "...Hmph."

Kanon faced away, acting sulky.

It was a dishonest reaction, very like Kanon, ...but I was a little happy.

He was getting mad for my sake.

: "...Cleaning the reception hall will be tough. I'll help."

: "Thank you. But I was the one Madam ordered, so don't worry. ...Don't you also have your own work, Kanon-kun?"

: "...It's a filthy job. My soul was corrupted long ago."

Yeah, well, shouldn't have taken a job serving directly under a nutcase obsessed with black magic if you weren't okay with a bit of soul-tainting, eh?

Kanon then hung his head, and bit his lower lip...

: "Just saying that you'll help is enough for me. ...If you don't go back to your own job, even you will receive punishment. ...And that would make me sad."

: "...Understood. ...Do your best, Nee-san."

: "Yes. ...And I am also partly to blame."

: "You aren't at fault at all, Nee-san...!"

: "...No. I am. ...So go now."

Kanon-kun's face showed that he still hadn't completely accepted it, but without being any more persistent, he disappeared.

...Even though Kanon-kun had given me words of comfort when I was down.

Even so, I was dejected again because it wasn't 'him'.

That in itself, was a sin.

That went far beyond any dream the likes of me could be permitted to see, I don't know my place.

...Shannon, who had neglected breakfast, already felt her thinking grow weaker.

...But if she didn't finish up cleaning the reception hall, she could not receive Natsuhi's permission to eat.

I finished cleaning the hallway and I went to the reception hall.

Maybe my hunger made my nose more sensitive.

I could sense a delicious aroma wafting from the kitchen, which should have been far away, and my empty stomach was encouraged even more.

...Until I finished up here, I could not get any soup. I just had to prepare myself.

Several portraits were hung in the reception hall.

One of those portraits, ...was thought to hold a special meaning amongst the servants.

The name of the woman with elegant blonde hair, drawn as the subject of that portrait, was Beatrice.

...It was whispered that she might be the family head, Kinzo's former mistress.

...And also that she was the great witch who had given Kinzo the gold of the legend.

The witch, Beatrice, master of the night on Rokkenjima.

She was gracious to those who respected her, but she would surely curse those that made light of her.

It was in Shannon's character not to neglect rules and beliefs such as those.

...So she thought of the portrait of her other master as that person herself, and always treated it carefully, treasuring it.

...And telling the witch that only existed inside the portrait the secrets of her heart had become part of her daily routine.

Of course, the witch didn't answer.

She didn't console, and she didn't laugh it off.

...Shannon could only interpret that silence as she liked, as though the witch was responding agreeably.

...I certainly am incompetent and uncultured, just as Eva-sama said.

...I am not a person.

...So maybe I have no right to love...

...But in that case, why was I given a heart which can know love?

...At that point, Shannon held back her tears for a time.

The sound of the rain, which had started falling, along with the chill air in the reception hall, made her feel as though her shabbiness had increased another level.

: "Real furniture, ...doesn't have anything like a heart. So they don't have to love people, right? So they don't feel pain. ...If I'm just another piece of furniture, ...why do I have a heart? ...If it's going to be this painful and this harsh, ...I wish I hadn't been given something like a heart...!"

Be careful what you wish for when talking to someone who does Faustian bargains, Shannon. It just might-

AAAAAHHHHHH TALKING PAINTING WHAT THE HELL

: "eh..."

The witch that didn't answer or laugh, ...answered, and laughed.

Was it her imagination? Was she hearing things? No, that's wrong.

...After all, the next words became a 'voice', and I could hear them, not with my heart, but with my ears...

I'm familiar with the classic Greek four/five, the Chinese five, and the Captain Planet five, but I can't say I've seen systems of six or seven or eight elements outside RPGs, let alone twelve. And if we're counting video game setups, then pah, twelve? Pokemon gave us a seventeen element system over a decade ago.

: “...However, a single man appeared, guided by a star, and finally explained the single element that makes up the world. Know what it is...?"

Hydrogen? Fire? Unonoctium?

: "...eh, ...ah, ...wh, ...wh, who..."

Shannon fearfully turned around...

Oh. Not a talking painting. Looks like Beatrice was able to manifest just fine all along and simply couldn't be assed until the end last time around.

Not as an illusion, in reality.

The contrast made by the lightning made it clear that this was not just a daydream.

: "...That is 'love'. *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*!"

The witch of the portrait elegantly held a golden pipe to her mouth, and giggled.

...She laughed at the ignorance which causes humankind's thoughts to stray far from the most simple answer.

As you've probably figured out already, she's talking about Jesus. Won't be the first time he gets brought up without being explicitly named.

Shannon lost any words to speak.

She thought that when first meeting an unknown guest, her first words should ask that person's name.

But without saying anything, ...Shannon knew this person's name, so she refrained.

No, ...surely as a person of this island, asking this person for her name would be the greatest disrespect.

Because, ...she was a master of this island in addition to Kinzo.

Shannon realized that she had met with a being that mustn't be met with, and she took a step backwards.

...That's where the wall and the portrait were, so even as she gazed at the witch, she supported the witch's portrait on her back.

: "Your worries are due to love. ...Which is the single element of the world. In other words, everything of this world. ...When that is not fulfilled, it means the world is not fulfilled. It is like continually scooping water into a flask with a hole in it. ...Even if you scoop and scoop, it is never filled, an eternal desert of the heart. The original sin that humans are founded upon and everything is made of."

...Human already, huh? Well. That was the shortest Pinocchio arc ever.

: "...umm, ...u..."

: "Hmph. Is it hard for a common person to understand? ...Oh, well. *cackle*cackle*... Forgive me. It has been a long time since I have spoken with a human. I shall apologize for my talkativeness."

Without expecting a reply from Shannon, Beatrice laughed pleasantly for a while.

: "Saying my apology is one thing, ...but would it be alright if I granted that desire of yours with my power?"

: "...Huh..."

The meaning of those words surprised Shannon even more than the witch's sudden appearance.

: "I am offering to bring you and the one you love together. ...Although normally, I would demand a corresponding compensation for that."

: "...I, ...is that true...?"

Normally, Shannon would have been shocked by this guest who didn't seem possible, and wouldn't have been able to speak.

...However, almost as though she had been captured by the witch's trick, ...Shannon responded to the witch.

: "If I use magic, it is no trouble at all to arrange for a pair of people with feelings for each other to be joined."

Yes, that's true. ...Shannon, who almost said that without thinking, gave up on her last bit of common sense.

After all, this is a witch. A sinister being.

The witch Beatrice is clearly trying to slip through the cracks in my heart and take me prisoner...

That sort of temptation, which so many fairy tale picture books warned me about when I was young, is right in front of me now.

I wish the fairy tales I got to hear/watch when I was a kid were about Mephistopheles-ish troll witches. Instead I just got glass slippers and houses full of midgets and the like.

: "...I may be no different from the image of a detestable witch that you hold in your mind. However, I grant my favor to those who respect me. Aren't humans the same? Well, I doubt any human would grant their favor to a hostile attitude like that."

: "...M, ...my apologies... I didn't mean..."

Shannon eventually realized that her posture was rude to the guest.

And, ...she finally digested the words that had been spoken to her a short while ago.

'You are no longer furniture. Now, you are "human".'

...The more she reflected upon those words, ...the more Shannon felt like she could understand her own agony...

: "...What was that, umm, ...just now, ...about a reward?"

: "I am saying that I can arrange for you to be tied together with the man who has captured your heart. You can think of it as thanks for diligently polishing my portrait all the time."

Look, here it comes...

A separate part of Shannon inside her heart warned her.

She had been warned about this several times in picture books, which she had read and been frightened by when she was young...!

Oh, come on, surely signing over your soul can't be that bad, really! It seems to have worked out fine for Kinzo.

: "Do you know of the small torii and shrine that have been constructed on the ocean very near this island, which you can see when you gaze at the cliffs...?"

...Shannon immediately remembered it.

When you reached Rokkenjima by boat, there was a torii and a shrine on a reef which was too small to even be called an islet.

I have the feeling that Kumasawa-san told me its history, but I can't remember well.

...A traveling mountaineering ascetic or someone had built it or wished it or something.

...Oh. Not quite the standard condition, then.

That was a very suspicious request.

She didn't know the history, but if there was a torii and a shrine, and something kept inside it, it had to be something sacred.

...She wants me to break that?

Is a person who may be a witch relying on a human to do something that she herself cannot...?

There was no need for Shannon to speak her thoughts aloud.

Beatrice started speaking of that quite natural question before Shannon could answer.

: "...I, ...I don't know what you are talking about. ...If that is because I am uncultured, I apologize."

: "It comes down to this. If you take action and break that annoying mirror for me, as a reward, I will grant you your wish."

Take the gold! A 14 year old's crush is fleeting. 10 tons of pure gold is a lifetime and beyond if you use it right.

: "I, ...I refuse..."

: "...What did you say?"

When she heard Shannon's words, Beatrice realized for the first time that her expectations had been betrayed.

: "If there is a reason, tell me. If there is a misunderstanding, I shall resolve it."

: "...I, ...I don't really understand the reason. ...But, ...until today, the island had been in peace, and nothing bad has happened. ...So, even if I don't break the mirror, the peace that has existed until today should continue into the future."

: "Hmm... I see, I see, that is quite right. It's just as you say. If you don't break that, the same unbreakable days that have passed until today will continue into tomorrow and the next day. Why don't I give you an absolute guarantee?"

Shannon was trapped by a creepy hallucination.

The mirror was probably something to restrain the witch.

...So breaking the mirror should have been something done for the witch's sake.

...But it felt as though Shannon had to do it for her own sake.

It seemed like some premise had been switched...

...Wait, all she even gets for this is a swing at it, with no actual guarantee it'll go anywhere? That's a pretty terrible deal. Take the gold.

: "If you don't break it, the tomorrows up until today will continue for all eternity. Your wish will not be granted for all eternity. ...Do you understand? What I am saying? *cackle*cackle*."

: "...Please...stop it... I don't, ...want to hear something like that...!"

: "I didn't want to cause you pain. ...Oh well. Feeling madness from love is the best thing about humans. You should enjoy that emotion to your heart's content. However, if you wish to borrow my power, you can break that mirror at any time. And you can yell my name and awaken me. I will definitely keep my promise. ...This way, you should have no complaints, right? I won't force you to decide right now. Are you comfortable?"

Also, you may or may not have noticed that this whole deal is missing something. Apparently Shannon's enchanted stomach wasn't part of the bargain, so it's still a mystery where the hell that came from.

In the end, was that something she was comfortable with?

...Definitely not.

To Shannon, who was burning with and worried by love, being tempted forever with a way to escape that path was truly a cruel test...

: "The limit is the time that the person of your feelings chooses the person he should pledge his love to. ...I am a witch, but I am not a demon. I do not have a power which can tear apart two who love each other, you see...? *cackle*cackle*cackle*cackle*!!"

”On the Second Twilight, those who remain shall tear apart the two who are close.”

Admittedly she probably just means she can't directly erase love or whatever but that doesn't make murder
not a viable option.

: “I hear that the person of your thoughts will soon be attending a marriage meeting, right...? You may have stronger feelings for that man than anyone else in the world. However, that doesn't mean that you are the most appropriate for him, does it...?”

: “Why would a ignorant, incompetent, uncultured girl like you be suitable? You know better than anyone. You are the most unsuitable! Even imagining that you and Ushiromiya George could be joined is sinful, and foolish, foolish foolish, know your place!! Have you forgotten to be grateful for your education? Know your place.”

: “George is the eldest grandson carrying Father's blood. He's a person who may bear the burden of the Ushiromiya family someday in the future. To answer that expectation, he has studied tirelessly, entered a wonderful college, and is getting wonderful grades. Did you really think you could snatch George away, you uneducated, incompetent, unqualified, uncultured servaaaant? *giggle*giggle*, *cackle*cackle*cackle*ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!"

As long as he knew she was an enemy that was tormenting Shannon, who he loved and respected as a sister, nothing else mattered.

: "...Kanon-kun..., stay back...! This person is...!"

And you don't even have a hatchet this time!

: "..."

It seemed that Kanon also realized that the being standing before him was the witch of the portrait.
...And also that she was a terrifying being.

: "...But I will leave that promise as a reward to you. If you need my power, call me at any time. I have already told you how. ...Well then, now, let us disperse. Hostile gazes may be pleasant, but they are bad for your figure, right? *cackle*cackle*cackle*..."

: "Disappear...!! I don't know who you are, but you're threatening Shannon! Don't ever show yourself again!!"

It seemed that Kanon's words made the witch horribly displeased.

: "...So, you do not choose your words carefully, lowborn? ...I am gracious to those who respect me, but brutal to those who do not, right...?"

While she still smiled, the witch's face began to twist itself...

: "P, ...please stop, Beatrice-sama!! Kanon-kun is still a child. I apologize for his language!"

: "..."

: "...ch."

Kanon blocked the way to Shannon, his body outstretched. ...There was tense sweat on his forehead.

At that time, the witch certainly had Kanon's fate in the palm of her hand.

...She didn't even need to lift a finger.

By just twisting her own smile, she had Kanon's fate in the palm of her hand, so that she would easily crush it...

Kanon also understood that.

So he started sweating. His knees felt weak...

However, Beatrice abruptly released that feeling of tension, and laughed.

: "...In parting, I shall leave a single souvenir. Hold out the palm of your left hands, you two."

When Beatrice grinned broadly and snapped her fingers, against their will, their left hands stretched out in front of them, and their palms opened.

: "Wh, what..., are you trying to do...?!"

Kanon resisted, but he couldn't freely bring his hand back.

: "Don't struggle. It will be over soon."

When Beatrice held her pipe aloft, from inside the smoke, gold-colored sparkling dust hovered in the air.

...That sparkle eventually became several gold butterflies.

: "?!"

: "Ouch...!"

There was a sharp pain, as though they had been burned.

When the two of them tried to examine their palms, there was no trace left of that inability to move their bodies, which had been there until a second ago.

: "...Ah, ...a bruise...? What is..."

On the palm of her hand, a small burn mark had been made, the size of a speck.

...Furthermore, it was shaped like a butterfly...

: "Wh, ...what is this supposed to be..."

Apparently, Kanon had the same bruise on his hand. He stared at the witch hatefully.

So her power is sealed by the mirror, but she can still manifest, seize control of bodies, leave physical marks on them, and possibly kill people. ...Pretty lovely seal, that.

: "...The impact of a meeting with me is strong. ...Sometimes, at the next morning, people try to think of their meeting with me as a dream or an illusion. ...You should think slowly and carefully, Shannon. ...And you should probably take a good rest, look at my mark tomorrow morning, and try thinking again."

: "Well then, let us meet again when the chance arises. It truly is fun to have a conversation again after so much time. Goodbye, furniture. Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!"

Wait didn't you just establish that Shannon isn't a table anymore?

Beatrice's body crumbled like smoke and blew away.

...It was golden smoke, ...no, a group of gold butterflies.

They scattered in all directions inside the reception hall, ...leaving a golden splash before disappearing into thin air.

...After that, only the cold silence was left.

The extreme silence was enough to make both of them think that they might have been daydreaming until just a moment ago...

...Which is why the witch had left it.

She had left a mark to make it impossible for them to think that this was a daydream.

As Shannon and Kanon thought back on the butterfly bruises on their hands, and the pain they had felt when those had been left there, they kept standing still, in shock...

And at this point the game just tosses up the full set of bios. Nothing's changed from the Ep1 ones.

Next time: Without love, it cannot be seen.

• Locked thread