Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Gism0 posted:

FWIW I'm on ~120mbit and I've found I need 40+ connections to max it out, though it's probably due to the distance between Giganews and Australia.

Yeah. Japan here and I don't come close to maxing with 50 most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Kinda annoying how only 1 particular weekly download for me is DCMA'd while everything else is fine. Not annoying enough to justify buying usenet access somewhere that isn't Astra (My ISP give free Astra Usenet.)

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So I'm digging this usenet stuff. I bought a small block plan from Blocknews to test it out and i realized im almost about to go over it. So, I want to buy a subscribed plan.

Before you tell me "Read the loving thread :jerkoff:", I have, and its a schizophrenic back and forth between people saying Astraweb is awesome/poo poo and Supernews/Giganews is awesome/poo poo. I'm lost.

They all seem to have similar retention. Supernews is fast but lots of missing artciles. Astraweb is good but it gets DMCA's seemly more than others?

Also something about dutch usenet providers.

Obviously I want a fast one that has complete articles and the most content. What can you recommend?

Also can someone post that image of the circle graphs of the usenet providers showing which services are re-sellers of which? It was a huge graph of circles and lines all with "usenet" in the middle.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I am on astraweb with Blocknews as a backup and I've so far no real problems. However I let sickbeard do its thing several times a day and I don't know/care about older stuff. There is only one thing that I have problems with and that is most likely the same one Ingram mentioned and it is a CW dmca thing.

Flea110
Apr 3, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

Also can someone post that image of the circle graphs of the usenet providers

http://i.imgur.com/kU7k9.png

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Gozinbulx posted:

So I'm digging this usenet stuff. I bought a small block plan from Blocknews to test it out and i realized im almost about to go over it. So, I want to buy a subscribed plan.

Before you tell me "Read the loving thread :jerkoff:", I have, and its a schizophrenic back and forth between people saying Astraweb is awesome/poo poo and Supernews/Giganews is awesome/poo poo. I'm lost.

Basically one will work well for you other the other will, probably. Choose one, don't commit for anything other than monthly... and if it sucks, try the other.

The reason you get back and forth is it's different for everyone, pretty much...

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Ok. Does no one recommend highwinds/highwinds resellers?

Also what is holland vs globale? Are there any advantages to dutch servers?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Holland is NL only. Globale is servers in US and EU.

There isn't really much benefit to one other another. Something that's DMCA'd on one USP is probably the same on all of them. Or you might find one has some stuff that others don't and vice versa. Probably every USP has the same % of takedowns.

Pick a plan from a USP that has the best deal, side offers and best speed for you, then if you have problems with DMCA either add block accounts from other backends or keep swapping until you find something that you like.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Well, I got Supernews.

Let's hope it works well.

edit: gently caress, is this the one that will turn over your info at the drop of a hat?

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 3, 2013

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

edit: gently caress, is this the one that will turn over your info at the drop of a hat?
No? There are no Usenet hosts that will do anything to downloaders.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
This is probably a silly question but I have never really used SB for post-processing, so... I have multiple drives that I have bought as needed, so that means that I have one drive with one season on it and another drive with another season. All of the drives have kind of been organized by theRenamer or other similar software, so if I were to go into SB and pick a single location for a show, could I then turn SB's post-processor loose on an organized folder and expect everything to go where it is supposed to and clean up after itself?

Also, can I have the ultimate destination folder (R:/Blah/Blahblah/) be in the same folder that I process with Sick Beard (R:/Blah/) or will that confuse it?

Edit: Answered my own questions when I got home. Yes, to the first one, and yes to the second one. If the show isn't on the list or is already where it should be Sick Beard will recognize that fact and move on to the next file.

Straithate fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 4, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I haven't popped in here for about two weeks which the first post I had unread was mention of the goonzb project. I currently don't have Pms (this could compel to get plat for the fourth time) and would be a gracious donator to the cause as I am a believer that anything goon run is done properly. Ill upgrade tomorrow and send a pm post-haste.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
FYI nzb.su has blocked headphones, which is why 403 errors were appearing in the long.

I'm having difficulty justifying keeping it around, what with the having to pay for VIP over and over again, compared to some of the others.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Was wondering if someone had a guide on how to automate TV shows/movies coming in from uTorrent or Sabnzb and then having something organize them without me having to do anything.

I have Couchpotato and SickBeard, but the way it's set up now isn't 100%. Instructions would be key, or perhaps a page number where it was discussed?

Thanks guys

E: I should mention its scene releases of stuff normally and it usually comes in a folder with a video file then 3-4 useless files.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Was wondering if someone had a guide on how to automate TV shows/movies coming in from uTorrent or Sabnzb and then having something organize them without me having to do anything.

I have Couchpotato and SickBeard, but the way it's set up now isn't 100%. Instructions would be key, or perhaps a page number where it was discussed?

Thanks guys

E: I should mention its scene releases of stuff normally and it usually comes in a folder with a video file then 3-4 useless files.

For TV shows coming through SABnzbd you would:

1. Go to Categories and make a new category that would look like this, change the path to whatever you want. Also, you don't need to set the priority to high unless you want all new TV show downloads to be put on the top of the queue.

If you want SAB to notify Sick Beard that it has completed a download and that it should immediately process the download go here: http://code.google.com/p/sickbeard/wiki/PostProcessing If you continue to follow these instructions, SB will post-process downloads but there will be a delay of 15-20 minutes.

2. Then go to Sick Beard and go to Config -> Search Settings and where it says SABnzbd Category put the name of the category you just made in the previous step. Save.

3. Now go to Config -> Post Processing and select the folder you setup in step one. Uncheck Keep Original Files, and I have Move Associated Files, Renamed Episodes, and Scan and Process all checked but you can change those based upon your preference. Leave Scan and Process checked! Save.

4. Next setup your naming system and metadata type to whatever you use. Save.

Now what will happen is Sick Beard will tell SABnzbd to download a TV show and when that happens, it will also tell it that it should place those downloads in the TV category you created during step 1. Sick Beard will watch the folder that you designated in step 3 and when a new file appears in that folder it will scan it, rename it, and then send it to the location that you specified when you added the show to your show list in Sick Beard.

I don't use CouchPotato so instead I use SABnzbds built in sorting and it works well.

Straithate fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 4, 2013

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
How do I set my blocknews backup as an alternative for something that has been DCMA'ed? I was fiddling with settings in Sab the other night but couldn't get around it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Straithate posted:

1. Go to Categories and make a new category that would look like this, change the path to whatever you want. Also, you don't need to set the priority to high unless you want all new TV show downloads to be put on the top of the queue.

2. Then go to Sick Beard and go to Config -> Search Settings and where it says SABnzbd Category put the name of the category you just made in the previous step. Save.

3. Now go to Config -> Post Processing and select the folder you setup in step one. Uncheck Keep Original Files, and I have Move Associated Files, Renamed Episodes, and Scan and Process all checked but you can change those based upon your preference. Leave Scan and Process checked! Save.

Now what will happen is Sick Beard will tell SABnzbd to download a TV show and when that happens, it will also tell it that it should place those downloads in the TV category you created during step 1. Sick Beard will watch the folder that you designated in step 3 and when a new file appears in that folder it will scan it, rename it, and then send it to the location that you specified when you added the show to your show list in Sick Beard.

I don't use CouchPotato so instead I use SABnzbds built in sorting and it works well.

really you should use autoProcessTV.py so that SAB notifies SB that there is a show available. Just dumping into a completed folder may result in 15-30min wait between when the dl finishes and when SB notices there is something in the watch folder.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Straithate posted:

If you want SAB to notify Sick Beard that it has completed a download and that it should immediately process the download go here: http://code.google.com/p/sickbeard/wiki/PostProcessing If you continue to follow these instructions, SB will post-process downloads but there will be a delay of 15-20 minutes.

Appreciate it.

I think the only problem is how things are downloaded. Case in point - a show I got is in a folder and that folder has about 4-5 files in it, one being the show and the rest being fluffed. Everything works until it gets to SickBeard organizing the folder and putting it in the right spot - wondering if its because the file is in a folder?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ingram posted:

How do I set my blocknews backup as an alternative for something that has been DCMA'ed? I was fiddling with settings in Sab the other night but couldn't get around it.

http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/configure-servers-v2

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Appreciate it.

I think the only problem is how things are downloaded. Case in point - a show I got is in a folder and that folder has about 4-5 files in it, one being the show and the rest being fluffed. Everything works until it gets to SickBeard organizing the folder and putting it in the right spot - wondering if its because the file is in a folder?

What happens when it tries to process it? The extra files should either be moved with it if they are important (srr/srt/sfv/nfo) and you have that option selected in Sick Beard, or they will deleted or perhaps left in the folder -- I haven't played with that option. Nevertheless, your video files should be moved out of the completed download folder into the folder you specified when adding the show to Sick Beard. During this process the file and folder will be formatted to your specifications. If you do not have the show in your show list and you manually downloaded it, Sick Beard is going to skip over it when processing the folder and nothing is going to happen. It doesn't matter if your shows are in folders or not.

Straithate fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 4, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Straithate posted:

What happens when it tries to process it? The extra files should either be moved with it if they are important (srr/srt/sfv/nfo) and you have that option selected in Sick Beard, or they will deleted or perhaps left in the folder -- I haven't played with that option. Nevertheless, your video files should be moved out of the completed download folder into the folder you specified when adding the show to Sick Beard. During this process the file and folder will be formatted to your specifications. If you do not have the show in your show list and you manually downloaded it, Sick Beard is going to skip over it when processing the folder and nothing is going to happen. It doesn't matter if your shows are in folders or not.

It all of a sudden started working. Thank you very much. Only problem is the services they use to download from UseNet / Torrent sites. I wish I could add Binsearch or PirateBay etc but cannot seem to add them. This sucks because the sites it uses can't find some files that I can easily find on other sites.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

It all of a sudden started working. Thank you very much. Only problem is the services they use to download from UseNet / Torrent sites. I wish I could add Binsearch or PirateBay etc but cannot seem to add them. This sucks because the sites it uses can't find some files that I can easily find on other sites.

If they use SAB, you can just pipe nzbs that you've pulled into Sickbeard with the SABtoSickbeard script and it will process them even if sickbeard didn't request them.

tronester
Aug 12, 2004
People hear what they want to hear.
I'm trying to download a file that is around 60 days old. There are around 10 different versions of it of varying quality, unfortunately all are 'out of servers retention', in other words probably had a DMCA takedown notice to every single one.

I have both supernews unlimited as my main provider, and a thecubenet.com as a secondary block account. The files are out of retention on both servers.

Any suggestions on an additional block provider that might have the file I am looking for (I know its vague, but I don't want to break any rules).

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

tronester posted:

I'm trying to download a file that is around 60 days old. There are around 10 different versions of it of varying quality, unfortunately all are 'out of servers retention', in other words probably had a DMCA takedown notice to every single one.

I have both supernews unlimited as my main provider, and a thecubenet.com as a secondary block account.

You have a Giganews and a Highwinds reseller, both are pretty vigilant with the DMCA requests (or rather, they get more requests due to their popularity). Try astraweb or a readnews reseller.

tattoli
Feb 23, 2006
scumbag

tronester posted:

I have both supernews unlimited as my main provider, and a thecubenet.com as a secondary block account. The files are out of retention on both servers.

Any suggestions on an additional block provider that might have the file I am looking for (I know its vague, but I don't want to break any rules).

I was actually getting this error a lot due to hitting the 254 character file path limit in Windows, try this (which apparently messes up couchpotato/sickbeard's ability to find your downloads) or shortening the length of the file paths before buying a block plan.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Is there a good write up of which ISP's are friendly and not friendly with USP's?

I don't mean which offer their own usenet servers, I mean which will throttle you and which will leave you alone.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
So, can I not use nzb.su with SickBeard unless I'm a VIP with API access?

Also, thanks to Skarsnik for the invite.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I believe so yes.

I just did it the other day, totally worth it. Nice little extra features plus the API access you're looking for.

mgrif
Jun 27, 2005

Bunnee is delightful and haunts my dreams.

Gozinbulx posted:

Is there a good write up of which ISP's are friendly and not friendly with USP's?

I don't mean which offer their own usenet servers, I mean which will throttle you and which will leave you alone.

Any worthwhile Usenet provider has SSL, which should be enough to not get you throttled/spied on by your ISP.

tronester posted:

I signed up with blocknews as a backup, they have a 5GB block plan for $3 so you can at least cheaply see if the files are there.

I have been using Astra block plans for years and only last week was the first time I noticed a file had been DMCA'd. I found 4 of the 5 of the downloads I was looking for on blocknews that were DMCA'd on Astra.

mgrif fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 5, 2013

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tattoli posted:

I was actually getting this error a lot due to hitting the 254 character file path limit in Windows, try this (which apparently messes up couchpotato/sickbeard's ability to find your downloads) or shortening the length of the file paths before buying a block plan.

:goonsay: Technically it's 260 characters, but since that includes the drive letter:\ bit and the NULL terminating the line the usable amount is 254.

IIRC that limit has something to do with why "C:\Documents and Settings" became "C:\Users" in more recent versions of Windows. On the old folder name you had burned 10% of the limit before you even got to the username folder, much less the subfolders of that where most people actually store things.

Anyways you should probably move your download paths to the root of the drive to avoid this. I just checked and the longest path in my collection is "/mnt/media/Videos/TV Shows/Clerks/01x04 - A Dissertation On The American Justice System By People Who Have Never Been Inside A Courtroom, Let Alone Know Anything About the Law, But Have Seen Way Too Many Legal Thrillers.avi". Even for a long name like that it'll still clear the tiny Windows limit by a good margin.

I could see how if you're someone like some of my friends who insist on redundant naming (season folders, full series name in every filename, etc.) you could easily blow this limit even from the root of the drive though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Sleepstupid posted:

So, can I not use nzb.su with SickBeard unless I'm a VIP with API access?

Also, thanks to Skarsnik for the invite.

Sure you can, it's just limited. All a vanilla account gives you is the ability to download nzbs. If you're VIP, you can set nzb.su up a source for other programs (Sickbeard, CouchPotato) to search nzbs and automatically add them to SAB. You're also limited to how many nzbs you're allowed to download daily.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

EC posted:

Sure you can, it's just limited. All a vanilla account gives you is the ability to download nzbs. If you're VIP, you can set nzb.su up a source for other programs (Sickbeard, CouchPotato) to search nzbs and automatically add them to SAB. You're also limited to how many nzbs you're allowed to download daily.

Right. So he can not use SickBeard with a non-VIP nzb.su. :)

tronester
Aug 12, 2004
People hear what they want to hear.

tattoli posted:

I tried this with no luck, set it to 64.

I also tried getting a blocknews account. Same issue, I guess they somehow dmcaed all 10 versions on blocknews as well.

Any other suggestions to try?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

monkeybounce posted:

Right. So he can not use SickBeard with a non-VIP nzb.su. :)

Oh jeez. :downs: Where did my reading comprehension get off to?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I have 2 NZB.su invites!

edit: all gone. When I get more, I'll e-mail them to the people who requested an invite via e-mail.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 6, 2013

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I have 2 NZB.su invites!

4th and 5th to e-mail me gets it. bagofsunchips [at] gmail

email sent

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Got an invite from sunchips. Thanks, man!

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Here's a fun one:

I deleted all my movies.

I have recovered them (anything under 4GB), but I have lost all folder structure and metadata - I previously sorted everything out automatically with Couch Potato v2, but Since it hasn't picked up all the movies are gone it's not auto renaming everything if I put it in the download folder.
Whats the best way to get them back into The correct folder, with the correct Meta Data and Correct SubFolders that doesn't involve me being prompted for every single movie (Such as typing them all back into Couch Potato v2 after a database clear.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Just a little trip report: when I went to uninstall .NET 4.0 after uninstalling nzbdrone, my administrator profile got totally hosed; the machine would log into a TEMP profile. No more sabnzbd settings, utorrent stopped launching automatically, and my sickbeard install was on my desktop, so that'll need to re imported to my new profile. Not too disastrous, but a pain in the rear end considering I really didn't get anything out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Why would you uninstall frameworks like .net?