Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

RaoulDuke12 posted:

If I've learned anything about sunglasses, it's they'll look really stupid on you unless you actually try them on first pretty much every single time. Is there anywhere you can go to try them out?

It's a combination of polarization, glare protection, and generally some sort of photochromics that cause the lens to shift color in response to changing light conditions. They're great for driving, but they can sometimes look pretty 70's-ish fashion wise.

Nowhere sells them in my area, the closest is over the US border. I figured gently caress it and bought them though, guess we'll know how they look when they get here Tuesday! And yeah, they look pretty 70's-ish in the brown (I hope not too goofy looking) but I'll mostly be wearing them in the car so no biggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

greazeball posted:

How do passwords get stolen from a user?

There's brute force, keystroke logging, in-person snooping/guessing, and...?

What happens over unsecured wi-fi? This is also a risk, right?

What about 3G? I've got a lot of apps on my phone where I need to enter my password to make a purchase with a CC that's linked to the app. Is this vulnerable too?

phishing

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Namarrgon posted:

I have more commonly heard it called religious police and I'm pretty sure it's not just ex-convicts.

Oh nice, way better than a totally-convict superstition-enforcement squad.

greazeball posted:

How do passwords get stolen from a user?

There's brute force, keystroke logging, in-person snooping/guessing, and...?

What happens over unsecured wi-fi? This is also a risk, right?

What about 3G? I've got a lot of apps on my phone where I need to enter my password to make a purchase with a CC that's linked to the app. Is this vulnerable too?

Most all sites you use a pw on use an encryption session between your browser and their server, pw is still encrypted even on unencrytped wifi.
No encryption on the site = you're vulnerable to having you pw sniffed even on an encrypted wifi (by your kids/spouse/parent, someone else on the network). If there is encryption like normal on the website no one's going to get your pw by sniffing any network. (unless they're running arp poisoning or something similar but you'd get some certificate errors on your browser.)

Any sort of reputable app on a phone would use its own encryption too for sensitive info.

Security question brute-forcing gets people into accounts too, even if you chose just "NYC" and "1995" as answers to "where were you born" and "what year did you graduate" how many accounts you think you could get? The scripts those guys use have every city and every possible year of graduation or make of 1st car or where was honeymoon, kindergarten teacher's name etc.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 3, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wagonburner posted:

Security question brute-forcing gets people into accounts too, even if you chose just "NYC" and "1995" as answers to "where were you born" and "what year did you graduate" how many accounts you think you could get? The scripts those guys use have every city and every possible year of graduation or make of 1st car or where was honeymoon, kindergarten teacher's name etc.

If they get through that it will probably just end up emailing you a new password. So I guess, keep your email passwords the most secure?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

syscall girl posted:

If they get through that it will probably just end up emailing you a new password. So I guess, keep your email passwords the most secure?

some non-email services yeah, but email itself, yahoo and probably most other will let you reset your pw right then and there with answering the sec questions, keep the pws and sec questions secure and tricky. Instead of "Kansas City" for where were you born, use "!qWerFFg6jB" but you have to keep a record somehow on your own of poo poo like that.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Wagonburner posted:

also, anyone who knows you can figure out those questions and get into your email. Just enter random garbage for those questions. And use gmail since it has the best security of all those sites.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

I have developed a recent troublesome behavior of walking the gently caress out of parties when my sensibilities gets bruised, either ethically or mentally.
Tonight it ended with me arguing for hours with 3 uneducated laypersons under the impression that the components of the question are are separate * about the actual boundary between the** physical and mental when talking about dependencies.

The google didn't help me find a 'easy' answer suitable for informal discussion or moderately-drunk-talk so I turn to you, the all knowing masters of the internets.

* (I am not formally educated in this area)
**(in my opinion ultimately false dichotomy)

Lazer Monkey fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 3, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lazer Monkey posted:

I have developed a recent troublesome behavior of walking the gently caress out of parties when my sensibilities gets bruised, either ethically or mentally.
Tonight it ended with me arguing for hours with 3 uneducated laypersons under the impression that the components of the question are are separate * about the actual boundary between the** physical and mental when talking about dependencies.

The google didn't help me find a 'easy' answer suitable for informal discussion or moderately-drunk-talk so I turn to you, the all knowing masters of the internets.

In my opinion, parties are not the place to foist your opinions on others, get butthurt when they disagree, and then walk out in a huff.*

This is definite E/N gold so please post a thread **. I want to hear more about how these uneducated laypersons disagreed with your opinions on a topic in which you are not formally educated.

Are you still drunk?*** "The google?" "'easy' answer" to what? "are are"? What? What are you even asking? Nevermind; save it for E/N.

* there are some exceptions
** seriously please post a thread here it'll do you good.
*** you're drunk aren't you?
**** seriously stop with the footnotes

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Lazer Monkey posted:

What?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Lazer Monkey posted:

I've read this five times. I've got absolutely nothing.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Looks like he was discussing physical addiction vs psychological addiction and asking how not to be a dick when he's drunk.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
He's apparently a Danish person which, combined with obvious drunkposting, explains the confusing as hell post. I still think there's a fun E/N thread somewhere inside that ball of pompous craziness but we'll have to wait a few months to find out assuming he keeps up his past posting habits.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is there a quick way to make iTunes re-source the whole library without duplicating everything that's already there? I don't buy music through iTunes so there's a whole bunch of stuff that isn't in the library, not to mention it's a huge pain in the rear end to manually add every new file to the library. Can I just c/p everything from my music folder to the iTunes media folder?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

razorrozar posted:

Is there a quick way to make iTunes re-source the whole library without duplicating everything that's already there? I don't buy music through iTunes so there's a whole bunch of stuff that isn't in the library, not to mention it's a huge pain in the rear end to manually add every new file to the library. Can I just c/p everything from my music folder to the iTunes media folder?

Go to "add a folder to library" and select "my music."

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Lazer Monkey posted:

Are you asking how not to be a dick at parties or about whether physcial and mental addiction are different.

How not to be a dick at parties: Don't do things that will make other people's night less fun.

Addiction: They're very different. If you're physically addicted to something you may literally die if you cut it out cold turkey. A lot of the terminology used in the treatment of both is similar but when you're dealing with a physical addiction there's the added, well, physical dimension of it.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I think his question is "Tell me that I'm a good person, Something Awful."

Sorry, bro. You are the dude at parties that everyone wants to avoid. If you can't control how much of an rear end you are how deeply you care about these very important issues when you're drunk, welp, it's time to drink less.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Shnooks posted:

Ugh, really?! Even if they're autoclaved regularly?

I do work in almost two dozens hospitals, and all of them use single use drapes. That's the norm now.

May I ask why you're so angry about synthetic drapes?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I read the autobiography of a New York cop who joined the force in the 90s. He writes that at the time people with criminal records (eg car thieves) were allowed to join. Is this still true?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 3, 2013

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Are you asking how not to be a dick at parties or about whether physcial and mental addiction are different.

How not to be a dick at parties: Don't do things that will make other people's night less fun.

Addiction: They're very different. If you're physically addicted to something you may literally die if you cut it out cold turkey. A lot of the terminology used in the treatment of both is similar but when you're dealing with a physical addiction there's the added, well, physical dimension of it.

To be more accurate, medical professionals use the term dependence to describe the physiologic need to continue to take a drug to prevent withdrawal symptoms. Addiction refers to the psychologic need to continue abusing a drug despite demonstrated negative effects in a person's life.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
A lot of photographs of beach sperm whales show their penises protruding from their bodies. Is this a by-product of the stress they suffered when they beached?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Baron Bifford posted:

A lot of photographs of beach sperm whales show their penises protruding from their bodies. Is this a by-product of the stress they suffered when they beached?

God you're weird

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
My phone contract is up at the end of this month. I'm thinking of bailing out of AT&T and moving on to Verizon. They seem cheaper with similar coverage as AT&T. Finally going to get a smart phone! :woop:

I'm going to be signing up for the plan with my fiance. The Verizon plan in our price range is unlimited voice/texging, and 4gb of data.

Is 2gb of data per person going to be enough? This will be my first smart phone so I have no frame of reference and neither has my SO. What is typical usage?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
2GB sounds excessive. I only need 200MB of data tops per month, because I use Wi-Fi as much as I can (before I got Wi-Fi for my home, I used 500MB per month). But maybe you're really addicted to surfing on your phone.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
I cannot, despite having taken a college course in 3d animation and having a degree in multimedia, get the hang of Google Sketchup to make a 2d floorplan.

Is there a recommendation around here beside sketchup? I just need something very basic that I can put boxes with my measurements into a room. Top-down, 2d is fine.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Huntersoninski posted:

My phone contract is up at the end of this month. I'm thinking of bailing out of AT&T and moving on to Verizon. They seem cheaper with similar coverage as AT&T. Finally going to get a smart phone! :woop:

I'm going to be signing up for the plan with my fiance. The Verizon plan in our price range is unlimited voice/texging, and 4gb of data.

Is 2gb of data per person going to be enough? This will be my first smart phone so I have no frame of reference and neither has my SO. What is typical usage?

Yeah, I use WiFi whenever I can (at home, at work, at school), so my cellular data usage is pretty low. According to my phone's statistics (iPhone, for reference), I've received 4.5GB since the end of December 2011.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Oh, wifi doesn't count? Well! That makes it sound much more reasonable! I dont' think we'll be using it excessively, but I'm not interested in overage charges. Thanks everyone for your answers!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dragyn posted:

I cannot, despite having taken a college course in 3d animation and having a degree in multimedia, get the hang of Google Sketchup to make a 2d floorplan.

Is there a recommendation around here beside sketchup? I just need something very basic that I can put boxes with my measurements into a room. Top-down, 2d is fine.

Visio has floor planning modules.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
What the heck is with all the "how we use cookies" notifications on websites in the past week or so? Did the EU issue some sort of new legislation or something?

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Costco question :siren:

Apparently you can use debit cards there but NOT one with an associated line of credit(overdraft protection).
Also conflicting reports if you need to have the same address as the primary holder if you're the second account person.

Anyone have a membership to confirm/deny?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

fivre posted:

What the heck is with all the "how we use cookies" notifications on websites in the past week or so? Did the EU issue some sort of new legislation or something?
Are you British? Those have been around for about a year now, they passed a law saying sites couldn't store cookies without user consent. I've noticed a lot more recently too though, maybe a deadline for putting up these notices is about to arrive.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Hoops posted:

Are you British? Those have been around for about a year now, they passed a law saying sites couldn't store cookies without user consent. I've noticed a lot more recently too though, maybe a deadline for putting up these notices is about to arrive.

No, I'm American, but I figure the EU tends to be more agressive with laws about internet privacy/not loving over consumers whatever, and I've also seen them more frequently on British sites (Telegraph, Top Gear), though I guess I don't visit many non-British EU sites, what with them being in moonspeak and all.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In Denmark at least, we recently got a law saying that you absolutely need to tell people that your website is using "cookies". It smells a lot like the politicians finding out about "computers" "broadcasting an "IP address" and regulating it because they figure it might be harmful, without understanding it at all.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Same new cookie law here in the Netherlands. It is kind of annoying really.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Does anyone know of one of those cheapo FM transmitters with an SD reader or USB socket that is also easily moddable to have a stronger signal? I remember several years ago, there were FM transmitters models that were designed so you could pop them open and turn a tiny screw in order to get a signal boost.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Is there a megathread for Video Camera questions? I'm looking in The Dorkroom and it mostly seems to be SLRs etc.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Try this thread in creative convention maybe: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3144982

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Noni posted:

Does anyone know of one of those cheapo FM transmitters with an SD reader or USB socket that is also easily moddable to have a stronger signal? I remember several years ago, there were FM transmitters models that were designed so you could pop them open and turn a tiny screw in order to get a signal boost.

Would http://www.amazon.com/SainSonic-Ste...nic+transmitter work for you?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Noni posted:

Belkin F8M066 (discontinued but easy to find NIB for :10bux:) is easy to mod for more power. It's not turning a screw easy though. It's complete trash without the mod. Between my vehicles, wife's and friends I and a friend have done about 6 of these over the last couple years with good results. (it sounds as good as the hardwired inline fm mod I used to have)

http://computerchristmas.com/christmas/link-how_to/HowToId-133/Belkin_Tunecast_Auto_Universal_FM_transmitter_Mod

I did a variation on his mod that I think is easier and sturdier. I clipped off the "black box" with some tiny nippers, soldered the black boxes contact points together and hooked my external antenna to the internal antenna wire rather than soldering it to the board. My soldering iron seemed too big so I used a knife heated in a flame.

edit: We made all of our external ants out of about 2 feet of a single strand/conductor of a cat5 except for the one for my Tahoe. The Tahoe is the only vehicle of the group with an actual old fashioned mast antenna, I made the external ant for that mod about 10 feet long, ran it out the door and wound it around the vehicle antenna a few times. You can walk away from it like 200' in a neighborhood with a portable radio and hear the bitchin jam band tunes.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 4, 2013

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I've seen american immigration portrayed on TV a couple of times and one question they asked is Are you or have you ever been a member of the communist party, if they still ask why do they still ask that and what happens if you say yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Dragyn posted:

Autodesk Homestyler is a neat little web-based program that's fairly intuitive to use. If you need something a little more robust, AutoCAD and Revit both have 30-day trial versions.