Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

What do migrant worker activates do? I have one now and it sounded like a good idea at the time, visiting his office Monday.

And after an awesome night I found my missing jacket but not my phone. No big deal that phones poo poo and I want an iphone. Think I can keep my old number without my sim card from my old phone? Not sure how that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

BrainDance posted:

What do migrant worker activates do? I have one now and it sounded like a good idea at the time, visiting his office Monday.

And after an awesome night I found my missing jacket but not my phone. No big deal that phones poo poo and I want an iphone. Think I can keep my old number without my sim card from my old phone? Not sure how that works.

You can. I recently had a friend who lost his, and he kept popping up and disappearing on kakao from changing devices. However, his account never changed.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I'm doing that now, I bricked my phone in a failed root attempt and am getting a new one with the same number sent here soon.

I miss crowdsourcing my life through Kakao.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Howdy, y'all.

So, dragons.

Potential Goonmeet in the works for 4/21, a Sunday night.

Vhall, Hongdae

:smugwizard::smaug:DRAGONFORCE:smaug::smugwizard: will be playing.

Tickets will go on sale in a few days Here. They will cost 69,900 won. Small price to pay to be :krad:

This is just to get the information out there and let people know about the tickets before they go on sale. We can plan in more detail when the date approaches.

I will try and update when they go on sale but information on this is, for whatever reason, kind of difficult to find in English and Korean.

Until then, make plans to: Get. In.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I saw them live one time, and it introduced me to Between the Buried and Me, which was good becuase BTBAM were awesome, and much better live.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
BTBAM is probably one of my top 3 favorite bands. If I could catch a show of their here, I'd pay a hefty sum.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

Ceramic Shot posted:

I wonder if Korean is the only language that uses "Our" so egregiously (우리 나라/우리 가족/우리 은행). Just for fun while talking to a Korean I said "우리 나라" referring the US and got a chuckle but they wouldn't say why.

Probably because when one hears '우리 나라' they think of Korea, not the US and the person probably for a slight moment thought you were referring to Korea, so they found that slightly funny.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
An earlier post of mine in this thread involved me being drunk, coming home late and being an rear end in a top hat. Apologies for that! I know nothing about Korea. Drop us a line if you come through Thailand and sorry about that :) :( :) :( :( :( :)

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ReindeerF posted:

I know nothing about Korea.

Actually...

ReindeerF posted:

involved me being drunk, coming home late and being an rear end in a top hat.

It sounds like you know everything about Korea.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
I dunno. He did go home...

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
PSY Superbowl comercial is really cringe-worthy.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Maxsmart posted:

I'm doing that now, I bricked my phone in a failed root attempt and am getting a new one with the same number sent here soon.

I miss crowdsourcing my life through Kakao.

Did you have to do anything with your old sim card? Because, since the phone is lost I don't have that. I have the little card the sim card came in though.

I'm not sure what I'm doing. I originally got a phone that was pretty nice, 4g and I think I was on u+? Lost that phone when those guys beat me up a while ago (just kicked around. I think I posted it here it was no big deal since I covered my face.)

So, I'm still paying for that phone like 40k a month. But I replaced it with a cheap 3g prada 3. That thing was a piece of poo poo and I'm glad I lost it. I'm pretty sure I know exactly where it is now and why I didn't find it last time I went looking but I don't think I'm gonna waste any more time on it. (I assumed it was in my also lost jacket. So I went around asking about a jacket. My jacket was actually lost at another bar and recovered no problem.) the prada 3 was with sk I think.

So, as far as I know I may have 2 different phone contracts or something, but I don't know. If I'm still paying for that first phone would I still have the rest of the plan too? Could I get a 4g phone and just go back to u+?

and how much does an iPhone5 go for here. I heard apple lowered the price a lot since it wasnt selling as well here but how much would it be if I just go to the store, pay the full price in cash then add it to an existing contract?

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 4, 2013

slacjs
Feb 27, 2009

When will it stop? Psy is probably laughing that he's getting paid boat loads of money to do this poo poo.

My contract with an S3 is about 12k more a month than when I didn't have a phone with my contract. I wouldn't buy the phone outright unless there's a special reason.

slacjs
Feb 27, 2009

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.

slacjs posted:

When will it stop? Psy is probably laughing that he's getting paid boat loads of money to do this poo poo.

My contract with an S3 is about 12k more a month than when I didn't have a phone with my contract. I wouldn't buy the phone outright unless there's a special reason.

I'd imagine the management company is being paid boat loads. Psy is probably being paid... peanuts. :smug:

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

BrainDance posted:

Did you have to do anything with your old sim card? Because, since the phone is lost I don't have that. I have the little card the sim card came in though.

I'm not sure what I'm doing. I originally got a phone that was pretty nice, 4g and I think I was on u+? Lost that phone when those guys beat me up a while ago (just kicked around. I think I posted it here it was no big deal since I covered my face.)

So, I'm still paying for that phone like 40k a month. But I replaced it with a cheap 3g prada 3. That thing was a piece of poo poo and I'm glad I lost it. I'm pretty sure I know exactly where it is now and why I didn't find it last time I went looking but I don't think I'm gonna waste any more time on it. (I assumed it was in my also lost jacket. So I went around asking about a jacket. My jacket was actually lost at another bar and recovered no problem.) the prada 3 was with sk I think.

So, as far as I know I may have 2 different phone contracts or something, but I don't know. If I'm still paying for that first phone would I still have the rest of the plan too? Could I get a 4g phone and just go back to u+?

and how much does an iPhone5 go for here. I heard apple lowered the price a lot since it wasnt selling as well here but how much would it be if I just go to the store, pay the full price in cash then add it to an existing contract?

Mine is a U+, basically when you report your phone lost, they will deactivate the number. Then, in theory, they should be able to reassign that number to a new sim card that comes with your phone.

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."
Haven't read the thread since before my holiday. New thread and over 800 replies. That took some getting through.

I have another vacation in 2 weeks, I'm thinking of going to the Philippines but have done no reading at all yet, any recommendations on islands? Not much of a sit around the beach vacationer so would rather do more active things.

Also I have a gaming (/working) PC now. It's marvelous. I can finally become a full recluse again.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Soooooo Bored. I prefer Hagwons, barring the vacation time.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I've got plenty of work for you over here.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Brimmy posted:

Haven't read the thread since before my holiday. New thread and over 800 replies. That took some getting through.

I have another vacation in 2 weeks, I'm thinking of going to the Philippines but have done no reading at all yet, any recommendations on islands? Not much of a sit around the beach vacationer so would rather do more active things.

Also I have a gaming (/working) PC now. It's marvelous. I can finally become a full recluse again.

I just got back from Cebu, Bohol, and Dunguete, what kind of stuff are you looking for?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Toussaint Louverture posted:

This was me for six months at my first school until I enrolled in a phantom graduate school and had an urgent need to leave school at 1pm every day after finishing classes. Buy drinks for the right people and all manner of beautiful things can happen.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Someone spent their whole life training and spending hours every day dancing in front of the mirror to have their big moment, where they dress up in a pistachio costume and dance blindly to Gangnam Style.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Brimmy posted:

I have another vacation in 2 weeks, I'm thinking of going to the Philippines...

Get out of Manila as fast as you possibly can. Run if you have to.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Looks like I have a whole other problem with this phone thing.

I can't find my wallet. Which means no debit card or arc. This is pretty bad because with no debit card I have about 20k to my name. I tried to get a new card with my passport but they told me no.

I guess like... Try another bank right? Because I cant see why its a problem. I opened the account before I even had an arc. But, poo poo... How do I get a new arc if I cant find my wallet? Isn't that going to take a long rear end time? If I cant get an arc for a month, and cant get at my money any other way how do I eat and stuff?

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
e: ddong

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Do you still have your passbook? You can get cash with that.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
You could recycle cardboard. I believe it's about 70won a box.

Uber-Cake
Aug 31, 2001
As someone who has lost his wallet or, in the most recent case, robbed, here's what you need to do:

You can only get your bank card by showing them an ARC card, since your ARC card is what the account is ultimately made on. You may be able to take money out with your bank book, but if you haven't activated your book to do that, you'll be poo poo out of luck.

1. Have a friend, co-worker or someone you know close the card. If you lost it in public, there's a pretty good chance someone found it, and will probably use your card or something. You can have your friend close it out by giving them your passport number and your ARC number, provided you have it written down somewhere. That will stop all activity on your card.

2. Go to a police station and file a report. The only way you can get a re-issued arc is with a "Lost Property Report" form that has been stamped by the police station. Just go to any police station, say you lost your wallet and ARC card, take your passport, and they'll file a report and give you the report to take to immigration.

3. With the report, go to immigration and fill out the paperwork like you would for a visa. Check for a "Re-issuance of ARC" and go to the helper person. You'll need 5,000 won.
Under the old system, you could get it re-issued within an hour, but now because they subbed out the cards to a manufacturer, you have to wait two weeks. You pick it up at immigration.

4. When you get your arc card, you can then get a new debit card issued.

It's a lot of steps and takes a while, but that's what you have to do. Hope you can get a loan or some money from a friend, as that's about the only way you'll survive.
It also helps if you have a Korean speaker with you, but it's not 100 percent necessary.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Some of these jobs want a copy of the apostilled diploma and criminal background check. I know you can get this from immigration, but has anyone been able to convince them to send a copy by email. I tried that today saying that I would be more than happy sending a copy of my arc and a form with my signature to authorize it, but they said I had to do it in person. Last option is running over there after work and hoping that I can run through all of that immigration stuff in 30 minutes.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Your school should have it too

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

quote:

Man gets stung after luring woman into sex

Friends of a woman who was lured into having sex with a man who said he would like to sponsor her caught up with him and handed him over to the police in a sting-like operation.

A 24-year-old woman who was constantly engrossed in chatting apps on her smartphone was delighted when she received a call saying that the caller is willing to give her millions of won every month for seeing him.

Facing economic problems, she gave it a lot of thought but eventually decided to meet up with the 42-year-old Lee.

They met on Jan. 26 in southern Seoul and had sex, after which she asked for 1 million won ($900), explaining that she was economically tight.

He said he will make a wire transfer and then stopped taking her calls.

Deeply disturbed by what had happened, she told her friends what had happened. Her friends decided the only way to pay the man back is to use the same method.

One of them joined the chatting app and sent Lee a message, saying that she was willing to pay for a relationship. The man complied.

What Lee showed up at their meeting place, he knew something was wrong.

He was immediately surrounded by the woman that he stole sex from as well as three well-built men.

The “victim” filed charges of fraud against the man who reportedly apologized for not having been able to get her the cash.

The problem for the police is that charges of selling sex could apply to the woman as well.
source

Korea Times: Everyone is an rear end in a top hat.

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 4, 2013

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

gently caress, uber-cake. That all sounds like it sucks. When the gently caress will I have time for this poo poo, is immigration open on weekends or do I have to wake up before noon tomorrow?

I have my bank book, will it say anywhere in the book if I can use it to withdraw money?

I don't get why my passport is a problem, it's what I opened my account with so why isn't it tied to my account? I opened the account way before I had an arc.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

AmbientParadox posted:

Korea Times: Everyone is an rear end in a top hat.

Holy poo poo, gently caress all people, forever.

edit: BrainDance, usually you can put it into the ATM at a bank branch sort of like a check card. It works the same way.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

quote:

Friends of a woman who was lured into having sex with a man who said he would like to sponsor her caught up with him and handed him over to the police in a sting-like operation.

This sentence is bending my mind into a pretzel.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Cameron posted:

edit: BrainDance, usually you can put it into the ATM at a bank branch sort of like a check card. It works the same way.

This would really save my rear end. I hate to be flooding this thread with questions but I'm kinda in a desperate spot. What do I do, just hit withdraw like normal and put the bank book... Somewhere? I've literally never used my bank book for anything.

This would work on those atms outside the bank that stay open after the bank closes?

Edit: maybe I gotta get in on this sponsor action to tide me over.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 4, 2013

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

joedevola posted:

This sentence is bending my mind into a pretzel.

I wonder what the guys got in return for their services :heysexy:

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012
If it's in the UFO Times it's probably not true. Like all those flying saucer reports and the Onion article they republished about Kim Jongun being the sexiest man in the world.

By the way, I was able to get a new bank card from KB once, just by showing up and talking with them. I'd registered originally using my passport, which had since expired and been replaced, so they clearly bent over backwards to make the card for me.

Uber-Cake
Aug 31, 2001
Im KB too, and it depends I suppose. If you do the police report and show them, they may have some sympathy, but each bank runs differently.

But no, Le Migra isn't open on weekends, so yes, you'll have to be a normal human and wake up before Noon. Also you need your arc to get out of the country, or Korean customs will fine you. Give it a shot.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Yeah I'll do it it just sucks. I do it all the time for company lunches. It's just, if I wake up at 9 and dont absolutely have to be somewhere (like, if I can put it off a day) I usually just go back to bed. Tomorrow is perfect for it too, I don't work until 3:00 and I finish at 7:40. But it just snowed again and it's all cold. I'm going to have to do this before I buy a new phone anyway, whether I can convince someone at an NH to make me a new card or not.

And I'll have to find a police station that isn't the closest one because I probably shouldn't show my face there again. So that's gonna be a pain.

If the bank book thing works I'll try and find a police station tomorrow, cancel my card and just sit on it until thursday or next Tuesday.

I've tore my apartment apart pretty much looking for this. It makes no sense, I didn't even black out last Friday. I went out looking for my jacket, had a few beers. Found my jacket, went back to the bar, bought everyone shots to celebrate (the jacket was a gift from my grandma, it has sentimental value.)

Went to the atm to get money for the shots. Gave my wallet to the bar owner because gently caress counting all that poo poo. Had a few drinks with some guy then went home. Before I left the bar owner gave me my wallet, said not to lose it and I put it in my jackets front pocket. Then I went home. I live one building over from the bar so theres like no opportunity for me to really lose it. loving sucks, why did I lose my wallet and not the lovely gum in the other pocket? It just feels like it has to be here but it isn't. Oh well, sorry for the rant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
There should be a slot where you stick your bank book. Just open it to the first page where all your numbers and whatnot are and stick it in at the same point you would put in a card. There should be a picture on the machine that shows it. It's pretty easy.

• Locked thread