Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

meiram posted:

Watching Toddlers & Tiaras because I'm a horrible person, and one of the girls in this particular episode is named Saryniti. Pronounced Serenity. Her mother is Ca'Trina.

That show (that I totally never watch honest) is a goldmine of dreadful names and awful spellings.
Camari (named because mom had calamari cravings)
Allessondra
Alyce Saundra
Aniston
Ash Lynn
BreAnne
Kragen
Sparkal
Kailia
Kaleigha
Maverick (a pageant boy)
Story
Marleigh
Makynli
Daylee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Well, Lynn is a place name (King's Lynn) so I think Ash Lynn is kind of cute/sensible. Maverick is doable too. "Hey Mav, has that spreadsheet been updated yet?"

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

It's definitely not as bad as some, but it makes me think of a giant ash dump.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

treiz01 posted:

Would you name your child Odo or Garak, just because they are cool Star Trek characters?
Yeah, probably. Also I could sneak the first past my priest no problem.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Shithouse Dave posted:

It's definitely not as bad as some, but it makes me think of a giant ash dump.
It's actually an Irish women's name, just almost nobody spells it the way it's spelled in Gaelic, because Gaelic looks like gibberish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisling_(given_name)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Shithouse Dave posted:

That show (that I totally never watch honest) is a goldmine of dreadful names and awful spellings.
Camari (named because mom had calamari cravings)
Allessondra
Alyce Saundra
Aniston
Ash Lynn
BreAnne
Kragen
Sparkal
Kailia
Kaleigha
Maverick (a pageant boy)
Story
Marleigh
Makynli
Daylee

You forgot to mention that Sparkal's last name is Queenz, and her mother is Harmonee or something similar. And Alycesaundra's name made me bite my lip when I saw it.

treiz01 posted:

Would you name your child Odo or Garak, just because they are cool Star Trek characters? Kahless is going to have a lifetime of people thinking his name is weird and having to explain that his namesake is a minor character in a fictional universe. Maybe he'll roam from town to town, Bat'leth strapped to his back, searching for the mother who gave him that awful name.

Why not just name your kid Bat'leth; that would be way awesomer. But if you're going to name your kid after any DS9 character, for gently caress's sake, name it Gul Dukat.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

It's actually an Irish women's name, just almost nobody spells it the way it's spelled in Gaelic, because Gaelic looks like gibberish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisling_(given_name)

Oh, I know, I've seen the Gaelic spelling around. Which is another reason the two-word spelling annoys me. It's a petty and irrational annoyance though.

Even worse was that another of the toddlers has a first name that mashes my RL first and last names together.

E: for below:
Yeah, that's what makes it petty and irrational on my part. I also hate the way people just bung "Lynn" onto the ends of names. Obvs that doesn't really apply to Ashlynn, but Kortlynn, CoryLynn, Emmalynn, Sugarlynn and all the other Lynns except Caitlins and plain Lynnes can just Lynn off.

Shithouse Dave has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Feb 4, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Shithouse Dave posted:

Oh, I know, I've seen the Gaelic spelling around. Which is another reason the two-word spelling annoys me. It's a petty and irrational annoyance though.
Yeah, except how many people in the US are going to twig to the fact that "Ais" sounds like "Ash" and "Ling" sounds like "Lynn"? It's annoying to go through life spelling that poo poo out to everyone.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

But everyone I've ever known named Aisling pronounced it "ash-ling," with an audible g :psyduck:

EDIT: All the Aislings I've known were from Canada, if that makes a difference.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bringmyfishback posted:

But everyone I've ever known named Aisling pronounced it "ash-ling," with an audible g :psyduck:

EDIT: All the Aislings I've known were from Canada, if that makes a difference.
That's probably because they weren't familiar with Irish Gaelic orthography. They see a "g" and say "ling."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

That's probably because they weren't familiar with Irish Gaelic orthography. They see a "g" and say "ling."

To be fair, I never got better than a C in my Gaelic class. Anyone who didn't grow up speaking it and can do so fluently deserves a medal. or a mBedal.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I went to high school with an Aoife, and she pronounced it correctly. Why is there no crying-harp-over-an-irish-flag :ireland: emoticon? :(

The worst variation on "Aisling" is when it's pronounced "ayz-ling". :downs:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I went to high school with an Aoife, and she pronounced it correctly. Why is there no crying-harp-over-an-irish-flag :ireland: emoticon? :(
How do you pronounce that? Gaelic spelling :byodood:

ms_hyena
Oct 10, 2012
I want to say it's "Wii-fey", but I may be misremembering it. I knew an American girl (like fifth-gen Irish or something) named it.

I know a couple who gave their children Japanese names. From anime. Neither of them are Japanese.

Edmantium
Jan 15, 2011

I WAS READY TO EMBRACE A MAN
During my retail days I had to look someone up in the rewards system through their phone number. I couldn't pronounce the last name that came up and the first name was Dong.

It was a hard choice between trying to pronounce something I didn't know how to and saying Dong tittering like a manchild.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

How do you pronounce that? Gaelic spelling :byodood:

Roughly "ee-fah" IIRC.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Carbon Thief posted:

Roughly "ee-fah" IIRC.

This is right. Goidelic languages :psyduck:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This is right. Goidelic languages :psyduck:
The original spelling of my mom's last name has a silent H.
A SILENT H
I confronted her about this and she said that the H is not silent, rather it indicates that the M immediately preceding it is pronounced like a W.

Thanks.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

The original spelling of my mom's last name has a silent H.
A SILENT H
I confronted her about this and she said that the H is not silent, rather it indicates that the M immediately preceding it is pronounced like a W.

Thanks.

That's called lenition and Irish is loving nasty with it. It crosses word boundaries.

I love Irish but I'd be a liar if I said it didn't make my brain hurt.

How about some awful name changes made by adults, instead of kids who have had bad names inflicted on them by idiot parents? I did some googling and found a registered sex offender in Indiana named Tyrannosaurus Rex, and a small-time drug offender who changed his name to Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop. And who can forget Ron Artest Metta World Peace.

In the "man I don't even know" department, there's makeup artist Yolanda Squatpump.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The worst variation on "Aisling" is when it's pronounced "ayz-ling". :downs:
Friend of mine who used to work in the benefits department swore blind she had to deal with someone who'd called her child Siobhan and pronounced it See-ob-han.

The evil orthographic plan of the entire Irish nation to make the English look dim came to fruition that day.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

jojoinnit posted:

Was talking about this with some friends. One person had a professor named Dick Hyman who refused to go by Richard, which reminded me that the head of my course was also a Richard who insisted on going by Dick, and not just Dick but Dr Dick. Had it on his mug.

Some nicknames are too childish though. I wrote an inter-office email to a 'Dickie'. At a certain point in your career you should probably drop the '-ie/y' suffix from your childhood nickname.

To be fair, I think some people's diminutives are their legal names. I have a cousin whose legal given name is Andy, because (according to my aunt) "we were never going to call him Andrew anyway." I always wondered what would happen if he tried to actually launch a professional career, although I think he's trying to be a professional dirt biker or something, so I guess it's a moot point.

The White Dragon posted:

Well y'know flip side of Masa and Koji is that their surname, too, was super white and super common, but Masa was like "yeah dude I'm one sixteenth Japanese or something, I dunno." If you just went by my surname, you'd probably assume I'd look like and be related to major players in the Third Reich. Last names are slippery bastards.

But if the kid's parents are white as the driven snow and just squealing Japanophiles, then yeah that's pretty hilarious.

Something like this happened with my dad's family, which has a Euro surname but some fairly recent Puerto Rican ancestry. My great-great grandfather was named Enrique, and the male descendents since have all had Enrique as a middle name, even though the bloodline has been steadily whitening for generations. If I ever have a son, I'm tempted to revive the tradition, but I'm Hitler-Youth white and worry that it would come off excessively ludicrous.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The most unusual Gaelic spelling I've encountered (at least in terms of the distance between it's spelling and pronunciation) has to be Caoimhe, which is pronounced "Kiva" or "Kifa".

I remember there was a contestant on Britain's Got Talet whose name was Eoghan (pronounced "Owen") Quigg.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Runcible Cat posted:

Friend of mine who used to work in the benefits department swore blind she had to deal with someone who'd called her child Siobhan and pronounced it See-ob-han.

The evil orthographic plan of the entire Irish nation to make the English look dim came to fruition that day.

So, uh ... is it pronounced "Shawn"?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Imperialist Dog posted:

So, uh ... is it pronounced "Shawn"?

Sha-vawn.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Gaelic names are amazing. I once met someone called Aoibheann, pronounced Ay-veen. :3:

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
Was looking through the weekend police log in my local paper and saw that Jasmine Kielbasa was arrested for Meth possesion.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
My mother is a doctor; a few years ago, when she was doing a shift in the ER, she had a metalhead as a patient. He introduced his two sons, Iron and Maiden.

I'm serious.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Huh. You'd expect him to call them "Bruce Dickonson" and "Eddie the Head" or something, wouldn't you?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Huh. You'd expect him to call them "Bruce Dickonson" and "Eddie the Head" or something, wouldn't you?

Or "Ronnie" and "Dio". Hell anything but naming your male child "Maiden" (to clarify, this was in a Latin American country, so I guess he wasn't fully aware of the fact that he was calling his child a lady).

Also, there's the name as Usnavy. Someone saw a US battle ship and put that one together.

This is an image that has been online for a while, so no need to censor it (also, not mine):

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm a fan of Batman bin Suparman.

Apparently so is this guy, who's done a lot of thinking about the name.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm a fan of Batman bin Suparman.

Apparently so is this guy, who's done a lot of thinking about the name.

I raise you this , including names such as

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser
I know a lovely young Korean man whose name is Q. That is the name he chose upon arriving in this country, so the story goes. I have also heard rumor that the youngest member of his host family taught him English wrong, because he thought it would be funny. He also types the way he speaks, which is very excitedly and unpredictable.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012
Courtesy of the Social Security Death Index:

Uranus Sparks

Jezebel P. Fish

Purity C. Pitts

Rosemary Baby Benavides

Ocean Hunter

Hippo Manis

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
A coworker of my friend named his children Cillian and Blaise, which are both real names, but were bestowed upon the children because of his love of death metal (killing I guess?) and weed (blaze). There are also several people in my local phone book with the last names Gotobed and Outhouse. Another local favourite of mine is a girl I know through friends whose name is Tahsis.

Also my sister's ex-husband just had a baby and named him Riker. As in Commander Will Riker. I used to work with a girl whose name is Bekime (pronounced "buh-kee-muh") which is apparently Albanian but definitely raises some eyebrows, and a trio of sisters named Annalee, Rizalee, and Noralee. Rizalee was named after Phillipine hero José Rizal.

There are so many weird names in this town.

e: I forgot the best ones: a friend of friends whose given names are Jux Vaszilia Madison, confirmed by a picture of his driver's license on Facebook, and a former coworker whose legal first name is Brother Glenn.

All on Black has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Feb 6, 2013

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Antivehicular posted:

To be fair, I think some people's diminutives are their legal names. I have a cousin whose legal given name is Andy, because (according to my aunt) "we were never going to call him Andrew anyway." I always wondered what would happen if he tried to actually launch a professional career, although I think he's trying to be a professional dirt biker or something, so I guess it's a moot point.

My father's legal name is Billy. I believe the reasoning his parents used was something like "William would be too hard for people to remember." :psyduck:

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

My father's legal name is Billy. I believe the reasoning his parents used was something like "William would be too hard for people to remember." :psyduck:

I have an uncle whose full name is Randy, and my grandparents were once told by an acquaintance that they "can't do that because it has to be short for something." Those people would explode if they saw this thread.

ZetaLaCroix
Mar 29, 2012
There were two girls I knew from high school whose names are Chanda Leer and Penny Nichols. I also have a neighbor named Harry Balzhiser (Yes...it's pronounced ball-sizer.).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Puneet is (as far as I know) a fairly common Indian name. Pronounced Pooh-neet.

Dikshit is a common last name. Pronounced Dick poo poo.

One of my roommates in college interned at NASA Ames Research Center with this poor guy: http://in.linkedin.com/in/pdixit

Apparently Dixit is an alternate pidginized version of Dikshit. He definitely answered his phone and introduced himself as "poohneet dickshit" which she said made it very difficult to keep a straight face the first few times.

There's a large number of other Puneet Dickshits, Puneet Dikshits, and Punit Dikshits on linkedin as well. I sometimes wonder what it means in Hindi.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

kastein posted:

Puneet is (as far as I know) a fairly common Indian name. Pronounced I sometimes wonder what it means in Hindi.

Wonder no more. From Wikipedia:

quote:

Dikshit or Dikshitar (Hindi: दीक्षित) is a Hindu family name. The word is an adjective form of the Sanskrit word diksha, meaning religious initiations. Dikshit in Sanskrit derives itself as a person or priest involved in such initiations or a scholar in religious scriptures, and literally translates as "one who has received initiation or one who is initiated".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
On the topic of Gaelic names I knew a Tadgh. Can't remember how to pronounce it though as he went by a nickname.