Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
OP, what's going on with the campaign internship? Are you going to abandon that? Why are you avoiding the subject? I seriously wanna know if you think the candidate is legitimate and can actually make it past the primary. If you believe so, you'd be crazy to abandon ship at this point. Just be honest and admit it if you're pushing paper for village sherif, or assistant to the regional manager.

If it has anything to do with the senate election, ditch the thread, suck it up, stay with your abusive parents and bust your rear end at work. DO NOT ABANDON FOR A MCJOB!

You have no idea how easy it is to latch on to politics as a starting career. As long as your an able minded, semi-charismatic individual with no kids and the ability to re-locate, you should be able to find a paid political position within a year.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

CrazyTolradi posted:

As many have pointed out, it's not a simple matter of just getting "any" job. He is overqualified for pretty much any minimum wage position, and any hiring manager is going to see he's going to look for better anyway. I'm told the job market in the US is generally poo poo right now, which means hundreds of applicants for any position. Out of which, a hiring manager will take on the person who they think will stick around the longest and won't be able to job hunt up the "ladder", so to speak.

He's an english lit major who's never had a job. He's not overqualified for anything what are you talking about?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

ClemenSalad posted:

He's an english lit major who's never had a job. He's not overqualified for anything what are you talking about?

Overqualified in practice and overqualified on paper are not the same thing. If you are overqualified on paper it will never reach the in person-stage.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

ClemenSalad posted:

Having any sort of degree pretty much precludes you from a lot of "lovely jobs" because they assume you won't be around for long. I'm sorry your valuation of a lit degree is so low that you can't realize that.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

E1M1 posted:

Having any sort of degree pretty much precludes you from a lot of "lovely jobs" because they assume you won't be around for long. I'm sorry your valuation of a lit degree is so low that you can't realize that.

No, it really doesn't. Unless you have a master's degree or something you aren't going to be passed over. OP, if this is a concern you can leave it off your resume. And the only reason I mentioned it was a lit degree was to show that it was non technical so minimum wage jobs aren't "above him".

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jizznastics posted:

I think people are overreacting when they call it "Phyiscal abuse". Its kind of lovely to compare it to actaul cases of phyiscal abuse. The woman lost her temper because her son adult son was being a basket of dog assholes. I feel no sympathy for the OP's brother.

I was also simply pointing out that the word "Hick" is a derogatory word, mabye you should worry about offending the people who come from rural low income areas.

Honestly, I can understand why other posters disagree with me, but I also think that other posters would agree with me when I say you should leave, the fact that your only contrubition to this thread was a offensive generaliztion.

"That's an offensive word. I was only saying that it's not a big deal that his mother hit his brother and am completely ignoring the fact that she has a past history of violence against her family :qq:"

Do you also understand why I think you're a piece of garbage for telling a person, who's looking for help, that?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 4, 2013

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
Mabye you should re-read the OP's posts, something about she doesn't ususally go off like that.... Thank you, and apology accepted.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Jizznastics posted:

Mabye you should re-read the OP's posts, something about she doesn't ususally go off like that.... Thank you, and apology accepted.

Stop posting. Go away. Thank you, and no apology necessary.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
OP I wish I could see what your life will be like in five years.

Is this 'political campaign job' involved at all with NORML?

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Hey OP, what level political campaign is it? Like local, state, national? Cause if its a national race stick with it if you think it will get past the primaries. I don't know how state and local pays, but national is a lot of times awesome. I canvassed for congressional campaigns through college and the lowest I was ever paid was $12/hr. For one campaign I got promoted a month in and was making $14/hr. Canvassing sucks but it's good pay and definitely better than a McJob. If your candidate gets elected then you also may have a shot at a job afterwards.

If you get enough experience with campaigns, you can actually travel the country working for campaigns. It will get you out of the house and away from your crazy family. Plus you'll get to see the country! Which is awesome!

If thats not your cup of tea, check in with your state parties, they may need someone for technical writing or something. They also do canvassing drives and may hire for that too.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Move the gently caress out of Chino.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Okay, quickie answers. The political intership is for a state special election. I'm staying for the campaign, as my candidate is known very well in the area so we're going to move past the primary to the proper election. Three, I talked with Jon the campiagn manager and he suggested I stay away from warehouse work and fast food. I invested time and money into my degree so I could avoid that work. Restaraunts and retail are a minimum, as I'm overqualified for everything else. Tomorrow I'm checking in with the job agency. I'm also going to use Monster, InDeed, and the classifieds of my local paper to find a job.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 5, 2013

Carlos Spicywiener
Sep 8, 2011

Moustache fart.

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay, quickie answers. The political intership is for a state special election. I'm staying for the campaign, as my candidate is known very well in the area so we're going to move past the primary to the proper election. Three, I talked with Jon the campiagn manager and he suggested I stay away from warehouse work and fast food. I invested time and money into my degree so I could avoid that work. Restaraunts and retail are a minimum, as I'm overqualified for everything else. Tomorrow I'm checking in with the job agency. I'm also going to use Monster, InDeed, and the classifieds of my local paper to find a job.

Just leave the qualification off your CV if you have to.

There is no such thing as a job that is beneath you if you're unemployed and need money.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Carlos Spicywiener posted:

Just leave the qualification off your CV if you have to.

There is no such thing as a job that is beneath you if you're unemployed and need money.
Don't get me wrong. Nothing is beneath a person as long as it's honest. It's just that I'm very much over-qualified for fast food/warehouse work. Besides, I figure I'd listen to, you know, the guy who's a college graduate and has employment working campaigns. It worked for him apparently.

Carlos Spicywiener
Sep 8, 2011

Moustache fart.

Benny the Snake posted:

Don't get me wrong. Nothing is beneath a person as long as it's honest. It's just that I'm very much over-qualified for fast food/warehouse work. Besides, I figure I'd listen to, you know, the guy who's a college graduate and has employment working campaigns. It worked for him apparently.

And you're not him. Seriously, drop the qualification off your CV (or resume, whatever you want to call it), or at least put it in an inconspicuous place and apply for these jobs that are supposedly off the table. If you need money, you should be going into fast food and warehouse work if you have no other options.

Alkaiser
Mar 17, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

No you're not over qualified, you may have a college degree but you frankly have a lot of growing up to do and need more experience with your interpersonal skills. Your mom had to start over after her jail time, she is frustrated because your dad is too good to take a job from your uncle.

You are not overqualified to work in warehouse while working on getting a better job as part of this campaign etc. Yeah your campaign manager has been successful in his life, how have your plans worked out for you in the meantime? If a few months down the road nothing comes up, who's fault will it be that you could have done something in the meantime?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Also, realistically fast food is a great job for you because seriously your hours there will be flexible as hell.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Another concern is that by applying for fast food/warehouse work, I'm essentially fishing in an over-crowded pond. Sure I could jump right in to either handling packages or making fries but there's much more people reguardless of education status that I'd have to compete with for the same job. Besides I just got an response from a customer service position I applied to-they want to do an interview. I think my prospects are looking up.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Stop trying to rationalize this. The only question you need to ask is, do you want a McJob or no job? If getting money and leaving the house is your first priority then swallow your pride, take your degree off your résumé, and apply. It's not going to hurt your future career prospects.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

And here I thought america was the land of oppertunity. :911:

Isnt there an office in town in need of a gofer or secretary, hell even a plain old clerk.
Are you that hard up that you cant get a job in your professional field? Has unemployment gotten that bad?

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

I can't believe you believe this. Where did this entitlement come from? It usually comes from accomplishments and stuff, not thin air. Your dude is only right if you were going to make fast food a career. But you need money to move out and work experience doing loving anything because you're 22 and never had a job. You aren't overqualified for anything here.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
What about job agencies like PSG or the like and getting temp jobs? They usually like to see a degree on your resume and want typing and writing skills. I know about 3 people (myself included) who ended up with full-time jobs out of temping.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Fast food is a perfect job for you because literally anything else will heap on the type of responsibility you love to shrug your shoulders and act oblivious to.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Benny the Snake posted:

Another concern is that by applying for fast food/warehouse work, I'm essentially fishing in an over-crowded pond. Sure I could jump right in to either handling packages or making fries but there's much more people reguardless of education status that I'd have to compete with for the same job.

That sure is a large bag of excuses you're lugging around. "I mean I'm overqualified and would be too good but also there's more people to compete with so it's not worth trying, right?". Your two explanations are in conflict; either you're too good for it and you'll nail it, or there's too many people and you may not. Which scares you more?

Seriously though read that post, you're basically saying you're giving up before trying because there's probably more people to compete with. You're rationalizing your own lack of ambition and laziness. What's the harm in trying? You'll just end up in the same place, can't hurt. Or are you worried that you can't even land a McJob?

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 5, 2013

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm starting to understand why you've been having so much trouble finding minimum wage work.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

That sure is a large bag of excuses you're lugging around. "I mean I'm overqualified and would be too good but also there's more people to compete with so it's not worth trying, right?". Your two explanations are in conflict; either you're too good for it and you'll nail it, or there's too many people and you may not. Which scares you more? Are you just worried you can't even land a McJob?

"Overqualified" doesn't necessarily mean "too good", it can be the case that companies don't WANT college graduates for entry level positions because of fears they will not stay in the job very long or will be too proactive about their rights and will not put up with lovely treatment or whatever, and resumes with college on them will just be ignored.

Even so, it's something that varies considerably and that you find out by trying, not something you assume going in.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Kommando posted:

And here I thought america was the land of oppertunity. :911:

Isnt there an office in town in need of a gofer or secretary, hell even a plain old clerk.
Are you that hard up that you cant get a job in your professional field? Has unemployment gotten that bad?

No he just has no interest in writing or teaching English Lit (which was his major).

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Fatkraken posted:

"Overqualified" doesn't necessarily mean "too good"...

I know that, I'm using his internalized self-worth connected idea of 'overqualified' in this example.

Agro ver Haus doom
Jul 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Benny the Snake posted:

Another concern is that by applying for fast food/warehouse work, I'm essentially fishing in an over-crowded pond. Sure I could jump right in to either handling packages or making fries but there's much more people reguardless of education status that I'd have to compete with for the same job. Besides I just got an response from a customer service position I applied to-they want to do an interview. I think my prospects are looking up.

How often are you going back and following up on the places you've applied to?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

I'd rather work in a warehouse than customer service. They look identical on a resume. The pay is almost identical. Neither is very flexible in scheduling around your internship. Neither are mentally challenging. You have to deal with angry and wrote people all day in CS. In a warehouse, you just have to move everything from point a to point b.

The guy at your internship probably means well, but I don't think he appreciates the current job market (poo poo is bad take what you can get) or your situation (I.e. you need to move out yesterday.)

Edit: Oh yeah, you are never going to be overqualified with a B.A. in English. Sorry kid.

BrainParasite fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 5, 2013

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Agro ver Haus doom posted:

How often are you going back and following up on the places you've applied to?

Eh, this isn't really the issue...nowadays, you need to have a sense for when to follow up and when to let it go - non-response is very much a response. If they like you and your resume, they know where to find you. Hiring managers can sometimes remember the guy who was too much of a pest, and then you get remembered in a bad way. It's not like it was back in the day where following up showed proactivity and spunk - this advice to follow up more often comes from and older generation, from before electronic media dominated job hiring and before it became so much easier to reach out. Now over-bumping and over-following up can be as much of an issue for losing jobs as never following up.

Agro ver Haus doom
Jul 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Eh, this isn't really the issue...nowadays, you need to have a sense for when to follow up and when to let it go - non-response is very much a response. If they like you and your resume, they know where to find you. Hiring managers can sometimes remember the guy who was too much of a pest, and then you get remembered in a bad way. It's not like it was back in the day where following up showed proactivity and spunk - this advice to follow up more often comes from and older generation, from before electronic media dominated job hiring and before it became so much easier to reach out. Now over-bumping and over-following up can be as much of an issue for losing jobs as never following up.

OP do not listen to this advice.

Grandpas a Racist
Mar 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Yes and no. It's a fine line, but reaching out is never in itself a bad thing, and if executed politely and properly with the right measure of conviction, it exemplifies good communication skills and business acumen. I've benefited professionally multiple times from following up in different applications.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

BrainParasite posted:

I'd rather work in a warehouse than customer service. They look identical on a resume. The pay is almost identical. Neither is very flexible in scheduling around your internship. Neither are mentally challenging. You have to deal with angry and wrote people all day in CS. In a warehouse, you just have to move everything from point a to point b.

The guy at your internship probably means well, but I don't think he appreciates the current job market (poo poo is bad take what you can get) or your situation (I.e. you need to move out yesterday.)

Edit: Oh yeah, you are never going to be overqualified with a B.A. in English. Sorry kid.

This is all wrong. Customer service is a massive field, which spans across all different types of companies. It's experience which translates across multiple industries. If you can pay your dues as a CS rep for a poo poo company with a poo poo product and lots of pissed off customers. Eventually upgrade to a company, which offers a better product and has a far more civilized method of assisting customers.

I don't need to point out how dumb it would be to pick warehouse work over customer service work. "The pay is almost identical." :haw: "You just have to move everything from point a to point b" Seriously? So what happens if there are 4 or 5 trucks in the loading bay? Points B,C,E and F

"Neither are mentally challenging." Oh wow, I'm a customer support rep for a web service that offers web services. (I'd rather not be specific. We're one of two companies which offer a certain type of service.) I'd love to be all smug and say it's a cakewalk, however it's extremely mentally demanding. Not every CS position revolves around teaching people where to click or copy/paste a URL.

The guy at his political internship probably has both connections and a better idea of how to get jobs, and therefore has a different view of the market.

Agro ver Haus doom posted:

OP do not listen to this advice.

Agreed. No hiring manager of a fast food chain is going to remember a rejected applicant, from the past. It would have to be an incredibly small company with a small list of applicants for that to even be remotely possible. You'd have to be overly annoying and go way outside your comfort zone to bother someone to that extent.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 5, 2013

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

OP, have you looked around at local hotels to see if they're hiring? My first job out of college was night shift auditor/front desk clerk, and it was a blast. Met a lot of really awesome guests, got to feel pretty accomplished for what is essentially grunt customer service work (seriously, if you're the only staff in the entire hotel, anything you do to help out guests will look like a miracle), and had plenty of time to do art stuff by bringing in my laptop on quiet nights. It'd give you a job with some responsibilities, you wouldn't be overqualified based on your degree, and you'd have some time at night to get your poo poo together/do some writing.

Edit: It also wouldn't interfere with your internship, if you take the night shift. If it's one of the day shifts, you can schedule around when you have to intern.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

BrainParasite posted:

The difference here is that customer service can be arbitrarily mentally demanding, depending on what you are doing CS for. Complicated products that businesses sell other businesses need support too. Warehouse work is never going to scale like that. I would also generally expect that CS has more prospects for a potential career, whereas working in a warehouse has seems more like a "job". I'm sure one could like, manage the warehouse, but I'm not sure where you really go from there.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

Benny the Snake posted:

there's much more people reguardless of education status that I'd have to compete with for the same job.

Yeah, you should just pack it in. Everyone knows any job with multiple applicants is not one worth trying to get.

And for gently caress's sake, you have an English degree and can't spell regardless or use decent grammar? Proofread your poo poo because you have no idea how oblivious it makes you come off as.

reflex fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 5, 2013

toby
Dec 4, 2002

You misspell words pretty often for a guy with a BA in English Lit.
edit: beaten

Moonlight at fast food, or a warehouse, or whatever else. Stop with the stupid excuses, "I'm overqualified," "there are lots of people applying," "boo hoo I'm a little baby."

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
OP, are you even aware that a lot of people use multiple resumes? I've always tailored mine to fit whichever jobs are more relevant to the position I'm applying for. Leaving information off your resume does not equal a lie. Just leave college off your resume for McJobs and tell them the date you graduated high school.

And yes, no matter what position, you're applying because you wanna be with that company for the long haul. (Even if you don't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

cname posted:

I don't need to point out how dumb it would be to pick warehouse work over customer service work. "The pay is almost identical." :haw: "You just have to move everything from point a to point b" Seriously? So what happens if there are 4 or 5 trucks in the loading bay? Points B,C,E and F

"Neither are mentally challenging." Oh wow, I'm a customer support rep for a web service that offers web services. (I'd rather not be specific. We're one of two companies which offer a certain type of service.) I'd love to be all smug and say it's a cakewalk, however it's extremely mentally demanding. Not every CS position revolves around teaching people where to click or copy/paste a URL.

My previous warehouse job was very mentally challenging. Because of some lazy idiot supervisors' fuckups, the warehouse was full of literally millions of bees. Think carpeted with bees. Bee pillars. You haven't known a rough day on the job until you've pulled a flailing dead bee out of your ear canal.

Anyhow, a B.A. in English is good enough to work retail, fast food, phones, or a cushier warehouse job like UPS. These are competitive jobs, yeah, but if you're smiley and articulate it's not hard to get hired. You're not overqualified. Be glad you're not a migrant worker who has to work in Bee Warehouse.

• Locked thread