Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Devor posted:

What class?

Got it. Thank you Devor.

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

Devor posted:

What class?

Also: skill mods on items. Do they stack? E.g. if I have two weapons with +12% backstab, is that better than one weapon with +12% backstab?

Might I add the newest, gooniest bard box Tolapumjj to the list? He is a bard and requires bardy plate.

Thank you kind sir!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Devor posted:

What class?

Also: skill mods on items. Do they stack? E.g. if I have two weapons with +12% backstab, is that better than one weapon with +12% backstab?
You only get benefit of the highest single mod, same with items that have tradeskill mods. I remember reading an EQ dev saying this a bit back.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Skill modifiers don't stack, aside from maybe mechanical lockpicks plus gloves of the brood.

Shift plus a number key will change the page of your first hotkey bar, you can have up to ten separate bars open at once, and I think the options menu lets you set keys to change any of them.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

acumen posted:

Use the spinner/hotkeys to switch your hotbars? If your tanking poo poo is on hotbars 1, 2, 3, then when you're in dps mode or whatever just click click click to hotbar #4, 5, 6?

Can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Slay Undead owns, that is all.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dubious posted:

Slay Undead owns, that is all.

I think you mean, "Slay Undead owns undead, and that is all, so you feel like you can only stay in one of like 5 zones."

Samuqan's got his stuff, and Tolapumjj will be tomorrow.

Also, when I testcopy, I've started hitting up all the vendors in Feerrott for Elegant Defiant to help seed the bazaar / use it for my dudes. There were like 5 pieces that were available, and Test bazaar is quite sparse. Not sure how NPC sellback rules work, but hopefully I can keep snagging stuff when I copy every day.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

This guy is posting previews of the Epic Ornament quests for each class, some of them look pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/user/WarSheol?feature=watch

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

jetz0r posted:

This guy is posting previews of the Epic Ornament quests for each class, some of them look pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/user/WarSheol?feature=watch

Are they finally doing this or still just 'talking' about it..?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
My enchanter is approaching 80 (thank you Kodaji) though I may press on to 81 for the dual aura AA ability. I just wanted to check in and see if anyone has the ability to copy produce a set of enchanter Abstruse Mindbroken armour for when I get there. There are still tons of dream motes in the bank for non-visible gear, but nothing has been for sale in the bazaar, as is usual for Test, and I do not have enough funds on live to acquire my own. Also, if anyone has an 80-appropriate weapon (such as an Eclipse staff, as those are very common), that would also be very welcome.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So there isn't ANY point to turning in Ethereal/Spectral Parchments since all spells are available at POK now, right?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Well, the spells can cast a few hundred to thousand platinum, so it's cheaper to turn the spell runes/whatevers in if you come across them. Although the spells only start getting expensive for level 75 and up I think.

ponzicar fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 5, 2013

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Medullah posted:

So there isn't ANY point to turning in Ethereal/Spectral Parchments since all spells are available at POK now, right?
True, except for the achievement of it (if you care), and for Ancient spells. From level 71 and up, spells start coming in three ranks, and only rank 1 are for sale in PoK. This is largely not a problem since you level fast anyway and can make do with rank 1 spells, although there are a tiny few unique pre-HoT spells where you might want to hunt for the higher rank. The only one I actually know of is Twincast (lvl 85, dru/wiz/mag) where I believe the higher ranks last longer. Rank 2 requires some faction grinding, rank 3 requires raiding that I don't know how works.

At lvl 86-90, rank 2 spells are delightfully easy to obtain via the HoT Nebulous Dream Fragment quests, so there's no reason to buy those in PoK. From lvl 91 and up you're most likely stuck with vendor-bought rank 1 spells (off of vendors in Argath and Shard's Landing respectively) until you start doing VoA/RoF and/or can get hold of some of the dropped fragments that you turn in for rank 2 spells.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

JustJeff88 posted:

My enchanter is approaching 80 (thank you Kodaji) though I may press on to 81 for the dual aura AA ability. I just wanted to check in and see if anyone has the ability to copy produce a set of enchanter Abstruse Mindbroken armour for when I get there. There are still tons of dream motes in the bank for non-visible gear, but nothing has been for sale in the bazaar, as is usual for Test, and I do not have enough funds on live to acquire my own. Also, if anyone has an 80-appropriate weapon (such as an Eclipse staff, as those are very common), that would also be very welcome.

Remind me tonight, I've got stuff. Not Abstruse, it's Terror Infused, but it's better than nothing. Also have an Eclipse lying around if there isn't still one in the GB.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Am I the only person who plays this game in first person? I started that way in 2000, and it just feels so wrong to change it up. In third person it feels like a completely different game (in a bad way).

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

RCarr posted:

Am I the only person who plays this game in first person? I started that way in 2000, and it just feels so wrong to change it up. In third person it feels like a completely different game (in a bad way).

The concept of playing in third person is so completely foreign to me that I hadn't even considered it, outside of briefly going third person to check out a new weapon. Except I don't even do that now that I box, because I just look at my dude with one of the followers.

And I just realized that going to third person would be amazingly helpful with my followers so that I can see their positioning at a glance - my rogue can end up in exciting new orientations that make backstabbing problematic.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pilsner posted:

True, except for the achievement of it (if you care), and for Ancient spells. From level 71 and up, spells start coming in three ranks, and only rank 1 are for sale in PoK. This is largely not a problem since you level fast anyway and can make do with rank 1 spells, although there are a tiny few unique pre-HoT spells where you might want to hunt for the higher rank. The only one I actually know of is Twincast (lvl 85, dru/wiz/mag) where I believe the higher ranks last longer. Rank 2 requires some faction grinding, rank 3 requires raiding that I don't know how works.

From 60-70 though, the Ancient spells are drop only still, right? Can't get them from turning in Spectral or Ethereal Parchments?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I'd just use the terror infused in the guild bank. Especially because rustic is fairly easy to come by at 85 (comparatively)

Speaking of which, does anyone have 2 wristwraps of argath laying around? My friend was out at training so I've been leveling his wizard up to 85 and he's almost there. Those are the only 2 pieces I still need for his VOA t1.

Also I have an eclipse you can have. Flarestar sent it to me but my necro is just going to rock his epic anyway.

Vomik fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 5, 2013

gang control
Nov 1, 2007
what a thing to say at the table

Devor posted:

I think you mean, "Slay Undead owns undead, and that is all, so you feel like you can only stay in one of like 5 zones."

Samuqan's got his stuff, and Tolapumjj will be tomorrow.

Also, when I testcopy, I've started hitting up all the vendors in Feerrott for Elegant Defiant to help seed the bazaar / use it for my dudes. There were like 5 pieces that were available, and Test bazaar is quite sparse. Not sure how NPC sellback rules work, but hopefully I can keep snagging stuff when I copy every day.

Would love to hop in line for a Ranger set if it's not too much trouble for you. Character's name is Crimes.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

What kind of augments do casters typically use? Specifically wizard and necro? I know most of the melee classes use AC augs, but is that true for the cloth casters too? I've heard that you should put a high ac aug in the shield slot becuase of some "ignores soft cap" but other than that I'm not sure what I should look for.

Also what is all these slot 2 type 3 augment (spell effects) that I see in gear sometimes? I've never seen an aug drop like that.

Vomik fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 5, 2013

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I have a question about bards. I have NEVER played one in my 10 years of on and off EQing. When a song says it uses a certain instrument type (string, percussion, etc) do I need to have that instrument equipped in order for the song to work? I ask this because when I try to play a song without the instrument, it just constantly says "A missed note brings your song to an end."

Do I just need to level that skill more? And can I do that without the required instrument?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RCarr posted:

I have a question about bards. I have NEVER played on in my 10 years of on and off EQing. When a song says its a certain instrument type (string, percussion, etc) do I need to have that instrument equipped in order for the song to work? I ask this because when I try to play a song without the instrument, it just constantly says "A missed note brings your song to an end."

Do I just need to level that skill more? And can I do that without the required instrument?

Most of the songs you can play without that particular instrument, and in fact Defiant Armor will start to actually have instrument modifiers around 40ish I think.

What the instruments really mean is that their modifier affects the song. Example - you have a song that does 10 points of damage, that is percussion. With a drum equipped with Percussion 16, it adds a 1.6 modifier to the song - means you do 16 damage. This is great for healing, and your Selos run songs are amazing with a great drum.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

RCarr posted:

I have a question about bards. I have NEVER played one in my 10 years of on and off EQing. When a song says it uses a certain instrument type (string, percussion, etc) do I need to have that instrument equipped in order for the song to work? I ask this because when I try to play a song without the instrument, it just constantly says "A missed note brings your song to an end."

If you don't have an instrument equipped OR have a piece of armor that says something like "percussion resonance" then it uses your singing skill only. Once you have one of those it will use the instrument skill. The missed note brings your song to an end is the equivalent of a fizzle I believe so yeah you need to level up that skill... either singing or the instrument itself.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks for the info fellas. Can I just go AFK with /melody to level up singing/instrument skills?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

RCarr posted:

I play in first person unless I'm swarming. 3rd person makes swarming easier because I can see if any mobs have warped around/through me.

Other than that, 1st person all the way.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

RCarr posted:

Thanks for the info fellas. Can I just go AFK with /melody to level up singing/instrument skills?

Yeah you can. Bard skills level really slowly though sadly.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Type 3 augs are often focus effects for a single spell, and can be bought from the dream mote vendor in the ferrott, the npcs next to the rank 2/3 spell guy in beast's domain, and from the rank 2/3 spell npc in shard's landing. There are also some available from LDON vendors, but the only one not obsolete is from the miragul's dungeons and gives a skill bonus to dodge.

The vendor bought augs cost about 13k pp and can only be reused with a perfected augmentation solvent from loyalty vendors.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Medullah posted:

From 60-70 though, the Ancient spells are drop only still, right? Can't get them from turning in Spectral or Ethereal Parchments?
Ahh, you're right, they're still drops.

Vomik posted:

What kind of augments do casters typically use? Specifically wizard and necro? I know most of the melee classes use AC augs, but is that true for the cloth casters too? I've heard that you should put a high ac aug in the shield slot becuase of some "ignores soft cap" but other than that I'm not sure what I should look for.

Also what is all these slot 2 type 3 augment (spell effects) that I see in gear sometimes? I've never seen an aug drop like that.
Until you've played for a quite a while, you should be starved enough for augs that most augs you come across with some hp and mana will do. Later on (HoT-ish) you should, to the best of my knowledge, prefer augs with hINT (adds mana and a little mana regen), and after that it's basically up to you to decide whether you want to focus on HP or Mana. Mana is self-explanatory, more burning power. HP is good for survivability, as high-end mobs later on like to do bigass AEs on you and your group. For a necro, HP is also Mana unless that changed.

For a wizard I would mainly go for Mana, hINT and HP, in that order. A necro I'm not sure about, a mix perhaps, and also remember that hSTA adds HP so it can be just as good as straight HP.

I wouldn't focus on AC - even if it bumps your displayed AC, caster AC is low and also "weak" (there's a hidden modifier behind it depending on your archetype); here's a quote from Necrotalk:

quote:

As a silk-class, the Necromancer has the lowest AC softcap and the lowest AC rating. However, AC attributed on a shield is added on top of the AC softcap – so one of the most beneficial ways to increase your real AC is to have a high AC shield with an AC augment. Otherwise, pretty much disregard this stat as all of your gear will have dismally low AC anyways.
Augs are pretty much the only items left in EQ that aren't normalized in the sense that they all have the same stats, like almost all gear of an equal tier does. You have often to choose between stats, although as mentioned, it'll take a while of gearing up until you reach that point.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

RCarr posted:

Yeah, best way to do it, if Song you want to practice is in Slot 1, is to /melody 1. This repeats the one song over and over - exception is if you don't have any songs of that type that you can reliably sing - fizzles don't skill you up, so don't /melody a song if all you're doing is fizzling 50 times in a row between successes. In that case, manually sing it until you get a success, then leave it up. You will be "casting" the song less often (6 seconds instead of 3) but you'll never fizzle it, so it helps get you over the hump to where you can use /melody. This is also why you should buy lower levels of songs to start your practice with. Also, once you've started to get some decent skill (like 150+?) pick up higher level songs to start practicing with. If all you do is sing the level 5 selo's, it'll take forever to get that 300th skill point in percussion.

Also, Crimes is now on my list for a set of ranger abstruse. Probably Wednesday evening.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Pilsner posted:

Until you've played for a quite a while, you should be starved enough for augs that most augs you come across with some hp and mana will do. Later on (HoT-ish) you should, to the best of my knowledge, prefer augs with hINT (adds mana and a little mana regen), and after that it's basically up to you to decide whether you want to focus on HP or Mana. Mana is self-explanatory, more burning power. HP is good for survivability, as high-end mobs later on like to do bigass AEs on you and your group. For a necro, HP is also Mana unless that changed.

For a wizard I would mainly go for Mana, hINT and HP, in that order. A necro I'm not sure about, a mix perhaps, and also remember that hSTA adds HP so it can be just as good as straight HP.

drat spent all that time gathering up a boatload of 25+ ac augs and now I have to learn an entire new list of stuff for my necro. Yeah I ended up checking out necrotalk and it looks like people there prefer hsta/hp and think mana/hint are "nice to haves." Too bad it doesn't appear to be the same for wizards so I'll need to learn a 3rd set of camps.

Speaking of AC augs... there are a couple of droppable 30+ AC augs (kucidon inverted war charm is one I am thinking of)... does anyone happen to have any on live they could copy over and mail to Lasombr?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I updated my UI on EQInterface with various bugfixes and tweaks. Kodaji, it now shows the correct icons instead of a Pearl Necklace, and has a better merc window.

http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6417

Here's a screenshot (of my ranger though):

Vomik posted:

drat spent all that time gathering up a boatload of 25+ ac augs and now I have to learn an entire new list of stuff for my necro. Yeah I ended up checking out necrotalk and it looks like people there prefer hsta/hp and think mana/hint are "nice to haves." Too bad it doesn't appear to be the same for wizards so I'll need to learn a 3rd set of camps.

Speaking of AC augs... there are a couple of droppable 30+ AC augs (kucidon inverted war charm is one I am thinking of)... does anyone happen to have any on live they could copy over and mail to Lasombr?
A lot of us got a big copied package with 7-8 über VoA/RoF augs. I have only a few spares left, but try asking in guild chat for a package.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The actual skin looks pretty cool but man it looks like someone just barfed windows all over your screen how do you operate with all that clutter :confused:

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

jetz0r posted:

I hope this means they are finally nearing release.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

acumen posted:

The actual skin looks pretty cool but man it looks like someone just barfed windows all over your screen how do you operate with all that clutter :confused:
Have you seen the typical EQ, let alone the default UI layout? That is truly barfing. First of all I have the inventory and bags showing just to show them off. I have gathered everything at the bottom of the screen, for easier overview. Not sure what level you are, but you need a ton of hotbuttons at higher levels, and have so many buffs, both long and short duration to look at.

Here's a quick screenshot with almost no buffs, showing how minimal it is. The only eyesore of the full UI (first screenshot) is the buff stack which almost reaches halfway up the screen, but I haven't found a better solution yet.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

bacon! posted:

Might I add the newest, gooniest bard box Tolapumjj to the list? He is a bard and requires bardy plate.

Thank you kind sir!

Your set is sent - the boots and arms got kicked back saying you already had them, since they're lore. They're off to find a good home on the bazaar instead. No worries about it, it's what I would have done with the partial set anyway.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

Devor posted:

Your set is sent - the boots and arms got kicked back saying you already had them, since they're lore. They're off to find a good home on the bazaar instead. No worries about it, it's what I would have done with the partial set anyway.

I picked those up from the guild bank the other day. Thanks a ton!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I've never played on FV, but I have a friend who has an old account with some plat laying around. How much is the inflation over there? Say I had 500k. Would I be able to buy a bunch of poo poo with that or is it going to cost 100k+ for anything decent?

Could anyone give me an example of how much some common items cost over there, so I can have some sort of starting point?

I will also be happy to buy anything that goons need on Test, as long as it's not crazy expensive.

Edit: It's funny how I have more fun reading/writing about the game than actually playing it. I love fantasizing about gear and new classes/box combos. Then when I log on I play for an hour and go "ehhh... I'm bored."

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 6, 2013

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

RCarr posted:

I've never played on FV, but I have a friend who has an old account with some plat laying around. How much is the inflation over there? Say I had 500k. Would I be able to buy a bunch of poo poo with that or is it going to cost 100k+ for anything decent?

Could anyone give me an example of how much some common items cost over there, so I can have some sort of starting point?

I will also be happy to buy anything that goons need on Test, as long as it's not crazy expensive.

Edit: It's funny how I have more fun reading/writing about the game than actually playing it. I love fantasizing about gear and new classes/box combos. Then when I log on I play for an hour and go "ehhh... I'm bored."

I got up to buying equipment for low 70s when I stopped playing, but I did see a lot of stuff in trade chat as well. For the lower levels, there's a dichotomy between the low- to mid- end gear, and the best stuff for that level. The decent stuff (even some decent raid stuff) can be had cheaply for 1k-5k if you're patient and check the bazaar a lot. I was able to pick up a Lev 70 req 72 dam/32 dly (I think, can't check the name atm) that is nodrop from a raid on normal servers, for less than 5k. But the best stuff for level 70 would run you into the hundreds of thousands for one piece. Armor seemed to be similar, though I didn't bother with that since defiant gets good pretty quick.

You can make sets of the Level 80 abstruse pretty cheaply off the bazaar (up to 3-4k for the remnant, most cheaper, 3-4k for the template, most cheaper, plus 2k in vendor costs, these prices for one piece). But when you start looking at stuff that's near max level, people are asking into the millions for the best weapons and armor sets. Seems that most higher level armor is sold as a set in trade, since it's annoying to track down a piece you're missing.

If your goal is to grab cheap things that are going to be droppable for sharing on test, jetz0r might be able to point you at some items that would be useful. A big word of warning - equipping an item on Firiona Vie that is normally attunable on Live will still prompt you to attune it - but on FV it won't turn nodrop. If you copy over an item that has been attuned on FV (could have been by someone else before you bought it) then it will turn into nodrop on Test - does anyone know how to check for this? You might just need to make sure the item still says "Atunneable"?.

And if you like, I am looking to get a set of the Immaculate Leather Templates, and Immaculate Silk Templates on FV that I use for testcopying to make sets of Level 80 Abstruse for goons, since I already have a set of the remnants. Yesterday the bazaar didn't even have a full set of the leather/silk templates, but when I've been checking previously, I think it would be like 25-30k for a complete set of each type (helm, chest, 2x bracer, arm, glove, legs, boots) which is just a little more than I could afford.

Edit: To clarify with the templates, I'm looking to get those permanently on my FV character, since I copy him over daily, and having two people have to /testcopy is a bit of a hassle.

Devor fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 6, 2013

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thank you for all the info. I'm still a little confused about the bolded part referring to attunable items. You are basically saying that it's a crap shoot to buy any item on FV that is attunable? I might just get unlucky and buy one that has been attuned and then I wont be able to trade it on Test?

Anyway, I will check how much plat my buddy has left on that account, and if there's extra, I will gladly hook you up for the pieces you asked for. I believe he has somewhere between 300-500k, which would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

RCarr posted:

Thank you for all the info. I'm still a little confused about the bolded part referring to attunable items. You are basically saying that it's a crap shoot to buy any item on FV that is attunable? I might just get unlucky and buy one that has been attuned and then I wont be able to trade it on Test?

Anyway, I will check how much plat my buddy has left on that account, and if there's extra, I will gladly hook you up for the pieces you asked for. I believe he has somewhere between 300-500k, which would be nice.

I'll check when I can get into the game, and maybe someone else can clear it up before I'm able to - I think you might just need to check and make sure that the item has the ATTUNABLE flag still showing - which I think goes away and turns into an invisible NO-DROP flag when it gets equipped the first time. So any sweet equipment you find that doesn't say ATTUNABLE is secretly nodrop. Or is pure no-drop and would have been no-drop all along on normal servers.

Again, take the above with a grain of salt until it gets some verification. You could test it with a 50pp piece of defiant or whatever if you wanted.