Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corgi
Jun 9, 2010

Lum_ posted:

iPhone 4S / iOS 6.1, OS X version of jailbreak worked flawlessly and took about 5 minutes.

Same device/iOS on Snow Leopard (1.6.8). Haven't tried any Cydia stuff yet but absolutely no problems. That was incredibly easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Has anyone successfully installed PreferenceLoader? So far even with dpkg I'm getting Hash Sum Mismatches.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Jailbroke my OTA updated iPad to see if it would have any problems. I have a backup so it doesn't really matter if it does. So far so good. Jailbreak was completely painless, been playing around on the iPad for the last 20 minutes and had no issues. Well, everything I try to install in Cydia seems to timeout, but I imagine their servers are being hammered.

pmMike
Mar 6, 2009
OTA updated 6.1 iPhone4, all went painlessly except the tweetbot icon is now grey. Odd.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

I'm not able to download anything at all from cydia right now, constantly getting a bunch of errors. Is this happening to anyone else or is there something wrong with mine?

edit: I see at least one other person is getting timeouts for everything above.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

JiUC posted:

I'm not able to download anything at all from cydia right now, constantly getting a bunch of errors. Is this happening to anyone else or is there something wrong with mine?

This is normal for a day or so after new jailbreaks.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

JiUC posted:

Cydia's getting hammered by all the jailbreaking folks like yourself hitting it all at once.

Edit: Jailbreak was smooth as butter. The last jailbreak that was this easy was the PDF exploit used by the jailbreakme website.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 4, 2013

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

JiUC posted:

Every nerd with an iPhone on the planet is jailbreaking and hammering Cydia's server(s) right now. Expect not being able to do anything with Cydia for the next 48 hours or so.

Personally, iPhone 4 6.1 jailbreak went smoothly for me! Looking forward to FakeClockUp again!

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
I got about six apps from my list, rest time out or return bad gateways.

Try, try again.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is the only "real" issue right now that Saurik's pay service is down? You cannot view your account or download paid tweaks.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Oneiros posted:

Every nerd with an iPhone on the planet is jailbreaking and hammering Cydia's server(s) right now. Expect not being able to do anything with Cydia for the next 48 hours or so.

Personally, iPhone 4 6.1 jailbreak went smoothly for me! Looking forward to FakeClockUp again!

Fakeclockup is going to be ridiculous on the iphone 5

Is the recommended speed to use going to be different or no?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I think I used 3.3x last time, will probably start with that and see how it goes.

Repository http://hitoriblog.com/apt/ for those who want it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man this was ridiculously easy. Not even have to bother manually put it in DFU mode. Tapping one icon halfway through on the device itself and voila, done. Very impressive.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Iphone 5 jailbreak was easy as hell, now just in the cydia server slamming phase. This was nicely done.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
My jailbreak seems a bit flaky after putting it through some heavy use.. have had at least three sudden restarts into Safe Mode and twice it's been stuck on the Apple logo after a reboot. Will probably see some revisions to the jailbreak in the coming days.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Does backing up my phone in iTunes also back up my saves from the games I have?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I plan on jailbreaking my 4 later, and I have a couple of questions.

1: What's a good Winterboard theme that emphasizes the wallpaper? I have tons of nice wallpapers but I don't want them to be obscured by icons and folders.

2: Can you change a theme's wallpaper like on a non-jailbroken device, or do you have to do something else?

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I'm downloading the Cydia apps (unsure what the proper term is) on my laptop because Cydia seems unstable. What's the best way to add them to the phone?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Does this require that I have a copy of iTunes installed on my computer? It's just been sitting at 'Connect your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad to begin', even after trying every USB port I have, and a reboot of the computer and phone.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Does this require that I have a copy of iTunes installed on my computer? It's just been sitting at 'Connect your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad to begin', even after trying every USB port I have, and a reboot of the computer and phone.

I think they usually require itunes installed but not running.

Corgi
Jun 9, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I plan on jailbreaking my 4 later, and I have a couple of questions.

1: What's a good Winterboard theme that emphasizes the wallpaper? I have tons of nice wallpapers but I don't want them to be obscured by icons and folders.

2: Can you change a theme's wallpaper like on a non-jailbroken device, or do you have to do something else?

I've used Glasklart to great satisfaction in the past. The icons are all semitransparent and uncolored, so the wallpaper is almost completely visible. And yes, the wallpaper should be totally changeable. Glasklart comes with one by default, I think, but it should be disable-able in settings.

PS, great username.

MickRaider posted:

I had iTunes up during my install, had no problems. Wasn't doing anything with it, though, not even playing music.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

NZP posted:

What's the best way to add them to the phone?

SHSH into your phone from terminal

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
For those trying, for biteSMS the "No luck, try this" PayPal method of restoring your license worked fine for me.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

omg chael crash posted:

Does backing up my phone in iTunes also back up my saves from the games I have?

Yes, but I would trust iCloud more. Backup to iCloud. It's neat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So having been out of the JB game for a while: SBSettings or NCSettings - Any clear choice between the two? Last I remember SBS needed Activator which was tied to some painless but annoying issues as far as UI responsiveness. NCS on the other hand had a nice/slick minimal UI that took very little notification real estate.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 4, 2013

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Has anybody tried doing it from an OTA updated device yet? Is there a warning message, or does it attempt and fail/succeed?

e: and I'm a buffoon, of course there are multiple on this page itself.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 4, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shmoogy posted:

Has anybody tried doing it from an OTA updated device yet? Is there a warning message, or does it attempt and fail/succeed?

Couple of people on this page have.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Shmoogy posted:

Works fine. Read some posts on this page/the last one. :)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are there any whizbang must-haves for jailbroken 6.1? Or I guess announced stuff that may be cool? I haven't jailbroken in a couple of years, as the notifications on the lockscreen were my primary reason for jailbreaking. I don't need tethering, and never messed with sbsettings or whatever its called. So I'm trying to figure out what I may be missing out on.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

MickRaider posted:

That was it. Thanks!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

ddogflex posted:

Works fine. Read some posts on this page/the last one. :)

Even if it does work, you run a risk with this method of not having the proper AP Tickets backed up on Cydia. This will matter when the 6.1 signing window closes and you ever need to restore a copy of 6.1.

Personally, I would just follow the correct procedure and restore 6.1 via iTunes. To each their own though.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Ok, 3.3x in FakeClockUp seems entirely too fast on the i5. 1.4x seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
iphone update server is down.

UGH.

My kingdom for some servers!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Are there any whizbang must-haves for jailbroken 6.1? Or I guess announced stuff that may be cool? I haven't jailbroken in a couple of years, as the notifications on the lockscreen were my primary reason for jailbreaking. I don't need tethering, and never messed with sbsettings or whatever its called. So I'm trying to figure out what I may be missing out on.

A lot. This needs to be in the OP. It's like you people need to be convinced to jailbreak.

3G Unrestrictor/MY3g - gets rid of the silly "WiFi only" limitations of many apps. If I have nearly-unlimited data and a 10 Mbps+ cellular connection, why force me to download everything on the lovely 0.5 Mbps public WiFi I'm sharing with a hundred people???
biteSMS/irealsms - Respond to a text from lockscreen or while in any app. Among a ton of other things. I purchased irealsms years ago when it was the go-to one. Now it seems like bitesms is a lot more popular.
BytaFont - to pick different fonts, and WinterBoard to pick different icons. It can give an OS that has looked the same since 2007 a fresh appearance.
CyDelete - Delete cydia apps like an apple app (jiggle, click x, etc)
f.lux - Adjusts light levels throughout the day for a more pleasurable view(It's originally an awesome computer program that you should use)
Five Icon Dock
FolderEnhancer
iFile
LockInfo
MyWii - Tetherning. A word of caution for AT&T users, though. They will take away your unlimited data
SBSettings - Swipe title bar (Or whatever you call where the time is) to bring a menu to do multiple things like turn data off/on, wifi, go into airport mode, etc. A lot of apps have toggles that you can add to this as well. It also does a lot of other things. Everyone jailbroken phone should have it
ncsettings - like sbsettings. I haven't used it yet personally. Some people like it better apparently it's a much cleaner look
Zephyr - Swipe up to simulate hitting the home button. Swipe left to right to go between background apps. I can only imagine how much better this will work on the iphone 5. It lagged a bit on the 4.
Fakeclockup - Speed up the iphone animations making your iphone seem like it's superwhizbangfast. Worked great on the 4 can only imagine it on the 5. 1.4x seems to be a good ip5 speed
Winterboard - If you don't know what this is don't jailbreak your phone.
MapsOpener - causes all navigation links to open in Google Maps instead of Apple Maps.
NoSpot - to disable the Spotlight page if you never use it. I've been using iOS since mid-2009. After all that time, the only way I end up on the Spotlight page is by accident. NoSpot lets me turn it off.
Cyntact - for adding photos to my Contact list. It's easier for me to quickly find someone by picture, sometimes.
Barrel - for awesome icon transitions. When you swipe between pages it allows you customize different animations for the icons. It's actually pretty cool. Probably check out a youtube video of it.
Action menu - Adds additional options to the copy/paste bit for the iphone.
Activator - Pretty much endless options. Hit the volume up button to open x app, double click power button to open this app, etc. This in combination with springflash allows you to open the flashlight when your phone is locked,
Lastapp - Quickly switch previous app
SmallBanners - Makes banner notifications one-line height
WiCarrier - Shows current Wifi SSID in place of carrier
AutoProtect - Allows you to bypass Passcode on home wifi
ShowCase - Shows lowercase letters in keyboard when relevant
killBackground - makes low-memory devices way better. Android has always had Task Killers, and now Android 4+ has a CLOSE ALL button, even on devices with 2 GIGS of RAM. Why can't iOS? Many iOS devices have 256MB of RAM, and could really use a "close all" button. (I used remove background instead. I assume it does the same thing. You can add it as a toggle in SBsettings)
bolt - Takes away the battery in the top bar. Adds a lighting bolt when you're charging. (Springtomize will do this - Sans the lightning bolt)
icleaner - "So if you have a mac, the chances are you will have heard of the infamous app ‘Clean My Mac’ and this is essentially what his cydia utility ‘iCleaner’ does for your device. It will remove all system files which are no longer in use, e.g logs, caches etc. which all amount to a large amount of pointless data. iCleaner is a very useful little utility, and is available for free from the BigBoss repo."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RbmCPR06U4
nitrous- iOS (Jailbroken): One of the big complaints about running a third party browser like Chrome on the iPhone is that it's always a little slower because Apple blocks third party apps from using its Nitro Javascript Engine. Nitrous is a new jailbreak tweak that adds that functionality into any app you want.
With Nitrous installed, any app that accesses the internet can get access to the Nitro Javascript Engine through the Settings page. This includes all your browsers, like Chrome, but also any other app that uses a webkit browser, like Facebook or Twitter.
I can't say I've noticed any different, even placebo, but who knows. Apparently noticeable boost in the awfulapp.
tcpoptimizer - TCP Optimizer which is a small tweak that supposedly makes streaming youtube videos faster on your iOS device. Engineered by the same fellas who made pushfix the tweak has some credibility behind it.
To download the tweak add http://cydia.pushfix.info/ to your cydia sources and install via the newly added repo.
springtomize 2 - Tweak almost everything on your iphone. Gets rid of a lot of those apps you have that do one thing. " you’ll be able to customize all kinds of features of your SpringBoard, such as your device’s animations, capabilities, features of the dock, features of the lock screen, features of your icons, features of your folders, features of your App Switcher, features of your Status Bar, features of Notification Center, and a whole lot more."
Zeppelin - Change the carrier logo. Not to text
http://www.teamsphone.com/apple-ios/zeppelin-jailbreak-tweak-to-change-carrier-logo-of-iphone-5094.html
Auxo - Great multi-tasking app. It's best to just watch the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Q_97exnJk
RespringCacheFix - http://chrislowthian.co.uk/fix-the-ios-6-1-respring-bug-with-respringcachefix/422/

Don't forget the compatibly list for ios6 posted a few pages back

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AsxLituOoyr9dGRaMk1YSWxYMk9RWmU3UHBwVWFVYkE&toomany=true#gid=0

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 9, 2013

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
phew, finally got SBSettings back.

now the question - does anyone know if there is an addon to add turning on/off LTE for SBSettings?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
To add:

SmallBanners - Makes banner notifications one-line height
WiCarrier - Shows current Wifi SSID in place of carrier
AutoProtect - Allows you to bypass Passcode on home wifi
ShowCase - Shows lowercase letters in keyboard when relevant

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

adm posted:

To add:

SmallBanners
WiCarrier
AutoProtect
ShowCase

Can we get a small description? I'll try to update my last and maybe we can put it in the op

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Just FYI all you turds freaking out about jailbreaking on an OTA update, I just did it and it worked flawlessly.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So having been out of the JB game for a while: SBSettings or NCSettings - Any clear choice between the two? Last I remember SBS needed Activator which was tied to some painless but annoying issues as far as UI responsiveness. NCS on the other hand had a nice/slick minimal UI that took very little notification real estate.

I liked NCSettings better, since it was right there in the notification center, but I think SBS had a few more options that might be of use to you — I had no use for, e.g. the quicknote function.

adm posted:

Ok, 3.3x in FakeClockUp seems entirely too fast on the i5. 1.4x seems to be the sweet spot for me.

I'm pretty sure that's where I had it on my i4, and that was plenty quick.

Then again, I haven't managed to install anything because day 1 of jailbreak.

Is there a working terminal app for iOS, or do I need to ssh in to change the root password still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Christoff posted:

Winterboard - If you don't know what this is don't jailbreak your phone.

Is winterboard still the buggy piece of poo poo it was during the iOS5 days. Or have they finally updated it?

• Locked thread