Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Pick'em: Hope and Futility
Pick TWO!
Albany Pessimists
Burma Imperialists
Cuba Smokers
Rochester Generics

Also, I liked the EC standings page, if only because it put into context how mind-bogglingly horrific my defense was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Pick TWO!
Albany Pessimists
Burma Imperialists

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Pick TWO!
Albany Pessimists
Burma Imperialists
Cuba Smokers
Rochester Generics

Riding this gravy train to the ground, Smasher!

Burma and Rochester!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Pick TWO!
Burma Imperialists
Cuba Smokers

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I'd rather see team OBP, SLG, or OPS than HR and BA.

HRs and BA are listed on the team overview and lineup screens which are already captured, so no need to provide those - I generally avoid stats you can already get at. I could definitely do OBP and SLG though. I can use 4 or 5 stats - I've been keeping streak at the request of Mrnoun from last season - So maybe Defensive Efficiency, Opponent Slugging, team OBP, team SLG and streak?

Or drop one of OBP/SLG for opponent OBA?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Pretend I had a long-winded wrestling promo diatribe about how the Oranges deserved better than a second-round Gauntlet defeat and how I didn't understand why we couldn't do better than .500 against the second-worst foursome of this iteration of the Super League, and marvel at how some advice transcends time, space and even Super League teams:

Smasher Dynamo posted:

More to the point, at a certain point, you really had to roll the dice and trade Bonds or Pujols for multiple pieces, including pitching help. Yeah, that might have made things worse but, at a certain point, it became clear that your pitching staff, as presently constituted, was not good enough to survive, and you had to try something else. Would trading Bonds or Pujols for pitching have saved your team? Probably not. But it was worth a shot.

E: I had a really good time throughout my stay in active competition, and I guess I fell victim to the old owner mentality. The guys I had were successful once, so instead of following the trends and leveraging those talents to continually improve my team I stood pat, confident that the guys who won 90 games 4 seasons ago would just keep doing so forever, through League after League, Mogul version after Mogul version. Even after last year saw me enter the Gauntlet for the first time, I drafted a power-hitting first baseman to trap Pujols' poor defense at third, traded away two very good pitchers mid-season for one that was horribly injured & would miss the season, and then spent the only time I did spend on trades searching for the missing players from Homer at the Bat while neglecting the fact that my closers-only bullpen stopped working in Mogul 13 and was getting my starters killed, leaving me with deadballers and ground ball pitchers against an unbelievably poor infield.

I'll be back and I sincerely hope I remember to not make the same mistakes again.

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 5, 2013

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Burma Imperialists
Cuba Smokers

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.
Pick 'Em
Burma Imperialists
&
Albany Pessimists

Go 'Ists!

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

And so it ends, with not so much a whimper as a barely audible sigh. The Arguments get dispersed. But I would have liked to see a 93-rating Snuffy all season long. Now he can rest.

It would be easier to list the things I did right over all the mistakes, because there were so many mistakes. Yeah, Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle were bound to go well together, and that's about it. But my initial feeder selection was poor, leading to a roster full of holes. I could have traded away Williams and Mantle for pitching, but in the end I think there was too much ground to make up, and too much Snuffy.

If I may, I will return with a new team in the next Expansion Cup and I hope I've learned my lessons well. Now the survivors get to enjoy the bounteous riches of my team!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Pick TWO!
Burma Imperialists
Rochester Generics

REPEAT! REPEAT!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Jobbers are gonna pick..

Pick TWO!
Burma Imperialists
Rochester Generics

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I am concerned that this groundswell of support will doom my team :ohdear:

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Pick Em:

Burma and Albany.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Grinnblade posted:

Expansion Cup VIII Special Edition: Divisional Races/Dispersal Draft Order

Aw, come on.Congrats cbx. Hard fought division.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Pick TWO!
Burma Imperialists
Cuba Smokers

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

I know, your team had mine for the vast majority of the season. I don't know where that sudden burst of competence came from.

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012
Pick TWO!
Burma Imperialists
Cuba Smokers

Pick 'em FOREVER!
Pick the winner, the number of games (best-of-five), and score of the final game
Luna Landers @ South Bolton Eazy W's, 5 games, 4-3
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ Lombard St. Gumshoes, 4 games, 4-2
Coburns @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers, 4 games, 5-3
Rockford Losers @ Cancun Tornados 4 games, 3-2

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.

I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know if this is happening in the same save as the regular season or not, so let's just hope everyone keeps playing out of their minds.

SLDS Roster

LF Henderson
DH Oh
CF Mays
3B Grich
RF Baines/Evans
SS Larkin
C Downing
2B Utley
1B Murray

C Slaught (catches for Rijo)
UT Kruk
IF Dark
CF Dykstra

SP Plank
SP Tanana
SP Rijo
SP Ryan

CL Wilhelm
SU Bedrosian
SR Jackson
SR Brantley
MR Pettitte
LR Reuschel
MU THE T. Lee

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Pick 'em FOREVER!

Gumshoes in 5, 7-4
Landers in 4, 5-2
Finger-Bangers in 5, 4-3
Tornados in 4, 7-3

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

cbx posted:

I know, your team had mine for the vast majority of the season. I don't know where that sudden burst of competence came from.

We were basically neck and neck all season, just waiting for a slip-up on either side.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
While I'm at it, Pick'em: Hope and Futility:

Imperialists
Generics

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

: Well, two legs of our three-fold strategy succeeded, and two legs are enough to run away with the Hopp Division. Cust and Bellhorn were symbolic sacrifices, just as The Bard sacrificed virtue for convenience.

Divisional Series Roster

LF Rickey
CF Carey
RF Giles/Lemon
1B Gehrig
DH Ortiz/Piazza
2B Collins/Gordon
SS Alomar
C Lombardi
3B Rolfe

OF Beltran
IF Crosetti

SP Bunning
SP Sutton
SP Schilling
SP Ruffing

CL Fingers
SU Hoffman
SR Bard
SR Aceves
MR Roebuck
LR Gomez
MU Mays

ugggh why would you pick me over the Gumshoes

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

The Merry Marauder posted:

ugggh why would you pick me over the Gumshoes
How I decide who I'm picking:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

: "Whom Coburn would destroy, he first makes thrice Champion," eh?

DLDS Roster

2B Lajoie
LF Bonds
1B Thomas
RF Williams
3B Martinez
CF Snider
C Berra/Tenace
SS Lloyd

UT Berkman
3B Chipper
OF Cobb
IF Polanco
1B Olerud

SP Joss
SP Vance
SP Williams
SP Ryan

CL '82 Rollie
SU '75 Rollie
SR Wood
SR Hiller
MR Mulholland
LR Schilling
MU Hershiser

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Owner: ManifunkDestiny
Home Grounds: Olympic Stadium

Teams Used
2000 San Francisco Giants
2011 Arizona Diamondbacks
2012 Los Angeles Angels

Past Records
Expansion Cup VII
64-99, 5th Place, Laissez-Faire Division
Super-League VIII
51-86, 5th Place, Norris Smythe Division, Gauntletted
Gauntlet VII
Round 1: 16-24, 4th Place, Relegated

Titles Won
1x Heavyweight
1x Television

The battered old 1989 Ford Taurus cruised down the highway at a rate that would have been alarming, if this stretch of road didn't run through a barren, desolate wasteland, bereft of obstacles or even life. The car's occupants didn't seem to mind, though. It had been a long season, and neither wanted to be here any longer than they had to.

"You know, I never did figure out. Why were we called the Air Raids? What were we raiding?"

"Air," said Jeff Kent. The grizzled vet smirked a bit as he elaborated, "We were raiding for air."

"I don't get it," said the youthful Mark Trumbo. "Really air? Why?"

"Really air. Oxygen's a valuable commodity, you know. Scarce and expensive, especially around Spokane. And you know why?"

"Why, Mr. Kent?"

"Pollution. All those factories spitting out their smog. There's the steelworks, and Cicero Plastics is always pumping out their garbage, too. And when the wind is blowing in from Wilkes-Barre, that just makes everything worse. No, raiding for oxygen is big business in Spokane."

"Uh... I think that's Scranton."

Rather than respond, Kent hit 'play' on the tape deck and pretended not to hear. The soothing sounds of "(Highway to the) Danger Zone" filled the car for a few minutes. When he could take it no longer, Kent admitted defeat and hit 'stop' again. "All right, all right, that's not the real reason."

Mark had been content to let the whole conversation drop, but since the alternative appeared to be Kenny Loggins' Greatest Hits, he decided to ask again. "So then, what is it?"

"It's all metaphorical," the vet said. "You know, like the Gumshoes aren't actually 1940's film noir detectives."

"Oh, I get it! Like the Suicides never actually killed themselves!"

"Exactly! Well, except for when they played Carlos Guillen at 2nd, but you get the general idea. Or, like, the Finger-Bangers don't really finger-bang."

"Um. Actually, there's this video..."

Trumbo never completed the thought. Instead, both men sat in silence for a moment, then shuddered with revulsion. To clear his mind, Kent hit 'play' once more. The final chords of "(Highway to the) Danger Zone" faded out, and Kenny's next biggest hit, "(Highway to the) Danger Zone" started. Jeff considered his options, but saw few alternatives. He tried fast-forwarding, but the deck sounded like it was dangerously close to eating the tape, and it was the only tape they had in the car, so he had to stop. Thankfully, it was right at the end of the song. Not willing to press his luck, he shut off the tape deck and spoke again. "All right. God's Honest Truth this time. The real reason we're called the Air Raids? Dingers. We were supposed to mercilessly rain dingers on all our opponents. I know, it's stupid, and not nearly as fun as stealing oxygen to keep our pollution-wracked city from dying, but it's the truth."

"Oh."

"Yeah, pretty boring, huh?"

"But Mr. Kent, didn't you only hit like eleven all year?"

In a panic, Jeff mashed the 'play' button. A few seconds of "The Gambler" played, the tape's compiler apparently having confused Loggins and Rogers, but then the side ended. The player was supposed to reverse automatically, but that never seemed to work right. So he tried to flip it by hand, only to discover the deck was eating their last cassette. Cornered, he had no choice. "All right, all right! You win! We were terrible. Terrible! Is that what you want to hear? Yeah, Bonds and Pujols hit a few home runs, but it didn't matter! Solo shots never won poo poo! And our fielding... oh god, our fielding! George Brett was our best infielder!

"But none of that matters, because of our pitching," Kent continued. "We had a team ERA of 5.15. That's worse than the Stevie Mitch Specials! Worse than the Hill Valley Biffs! Worse than the Honolulu Lava Flows! Dingers rained, all right! They rained on us!"

Mark thought about this for a moment. "But they rained, didn't they? And in the end," he said, "isn't that all that really matters?"

And he was right!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Pick 'em FOREVER!
Pick the winner, the number of games (best-of-five), and score of the final game
South Bolton Eazy W's 4 games, 7-1
Lombard St. Gumshoes 3 games, 6-4
Fukuoka Finger-Bangers 4 games 3-2
Rockford Losers 5 games 5-3

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

The following contest, scheduled for the best three-out-of-five games, is for a berth into the Smasher League Finals and the Television Championship.

The Luna Landers are mrnoun's latest and greatest attempt at building a winner in the Super-League. They mainly rely on drawing a lot of walks, hitting a lot of home runs, and hoping that their pitchers throw enough strikeouts to make their poor defense a non-issue. For the most part, this has been a successful strategy, as they have made the playoffs once again, and are the current Larkin-Downing champions, but they are still looking for their first Divisional Series win, and questions still abound as to whether or not the many trades mrnoun made in the offseason truly made the Landers a better team.

Moonbase 0-2, The Moon

Moonbase 0-2 will host Games 3 and 4 of this series.

The following smart dudes picked the Landers

Gabriel Pope (OMA) (4 Games, Final Score 5-2)
gingemidget (WAL) (4 Games, Final Score 8-5)
ScottyJSno (LOV) (4 Games, Final Score 6-5)
theacox (CER) (5 Games, Final Score 4-3)

The W's have been around forever. Granted, in the seven seasons coming into these playoffs, they still have not made the Super-League Finals, but they have won five division championships, and had numerous secondary title reigns. They have the best rotation in the Smasher League, that much seems rather close to certain. McDowell, Koufax, Alexander and Young have been dominant this year, admittedly with a bit of smoke and mirrors from McDowell. The W's offense is grounded on two principles: 1. Supporting that great pitching staff with top-notch infield defense, and Babe loving Ruth. And, really, when you have Babe Ruth, you can ignore a lot of problems with your offense.

Memorial Coliseum
Bolton, Lancashire

Memorial Coliseum will host Games 1, 2 and 5 of this series.

The following grandmasters of strategy picked the Eazy W's

GrickleGrass (MAN) (3 Games, Final Score 5-1)
cbx (DEC) (4 Games, Final Score 6-3)
Monathin (CNT) (4 Games, Final Score 5-3)
mooseontheloose (4 Games, Final Score 7-1)
Pander (SAD) (4 Games, Final Score 7-3)
Senerio (NOW) (4 Games, Final Score 3-2)
Armitage (JAC) (5 Games, Final Score 6-4)
CVE (MDM) (5 Games, Final Score 4-2)
NotThatSamBeckett (5 Games, Final Score 4-3)

Game 1

Don May posted:

MCDOWELL MCMURDERS LANDERS, W'S WIN OPENER 8-3

South Bolton- Frustration. That was what today was about for the Landers.

Having burned Pedro Martinez in the Wildcard Play-in game, the Landers were already at a disadvantage, and could not afford to start this series off slowly, and with Roger Clemens starting against Jack McDowell, this was the best opportunity that the Landers were going to have this series.

And they blew it.

Adam Dunn hit a solo home run in the bottom of the first, giving the W's a 1-0 lead, which they would never relinquish. In all, the W's managed to hit five home runs in the game, four of them off of Roger Clemens, who could not escape the sixth inning. Given that four of the five home runs hit by the W's were by left-handers, Clemens laid most of the blame for his poor performance on the unusual dimensions of Memorial Coliseum, "It's a loving travesty!" Clemens explained, clearly already having had several bourbons after the game, "That loving bandbox is rigged against right-handed pitchers! It should be outlawed, because it is the biggest piece of bullshit that ever existed. Ever! Even more than that time I had to go to court for perjury. I don't see why lying under oath is such a big deal! If I'm going to lie in my loving testimony, doesn't it just make drat sense that I'm going to lie when I say I'm going to tell the truth, too? I hate this loving country, and also this loving country. Britain sucks, America sucks, everyone sucks....especially me..."

As you might guess, Adam Dunn took most of the credit for the win, "You know, brosefs, when the skies get dark, and all hopes seems lost, that's when it's time to turn to the world's greatest baseball player in the world. I'm not going to lie, even I doubted that I was going to be able to beat the Lander single-handedly, but then I remembered some advice that Papa Dunn told me when I was a boy, 'Adam' he said, 'Adam, there are only three true outcomes in life...you succeed, you fail, or you draw a walk. And there are a lot of people out there who will tell you jut to make contact with life, try and put yourself out there, and hope for the best. But you know something, boy, you can't do things by half-measures. You've got to put it all out there or none of it!' But enough of that, I'm here to make a guarantee, and that is that we are not only going to win this series, but we are going to sweep the Landers, and take their Larkin-Downing Championship, because this team? This team is unstoppable, and not all the prog rock in the world can stop that."

mrnoun begged to differ, "First of all, all of the prog rock in the world, put together, it could do anything. So Dunn is wrong about that, and second of all, I demand to know whether I can challenge Yoshida's rating, because it is complete bullshit that Yoshida managed to pick up the save. She has no fast ball, and this is a tiny park. We should have been hitting a lot of home runs against her. But the conspiracy against me, that all of you are in on, is letting crazy poo poo like this happen. We all know that I should be beating the W's, I should be beating everybody! WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE?!"

Game 2 will take place in Bolton. Sandy Koufax will start for the W's against Rick Reuschel of the Landers.

Box Score

Game 2

Don May posted:

W'S GO UP 2-0 IN SERIES THANKS TO SNIDER HR

Bolton- Some days, the universe is just against you.

The Landers held a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the ninth. Mariano Rivera was on the mound to close out the game. Things were finally looking good for the team, even more so after Asdrubal Cabrera popped out to start the inning. This was their game to lose. But the good times didn't last long as Darren Daulton crushed a double to the wall, putting the tying run at second base with only one out. And when Whitaker hit a RBI single to tie the game, the Landers, understandably, began to panic.

In fact, they were so worried that not even the sight of Adam Dunn striking out on three pitches to get the second out of the inning as enough to calm their nerves. After all, the W's had Duke Snider and then Babe Ruth coming out, and one bad pitch by Rivera would be all it would take for the W's to pick up the win, and a 2-0 lead in this series. But Rivera is a postseason legend for a reason, and battled Snider pitch after pitch, eventually running the count full. With Ruth on deck, Rivera couldn't let Snider get the walk, and Snider knew it too. It was an impossible position for Rivera, and he just had to hope and pray that his cutter broke just enough for Snider to miss, or at least not make good contact.

But Snider was locked in, and the ball was hit into the deepest corner of the park, left-center, where the wall goes out to over 420 feet. The ball cleared the fence by a good fifty feet, and the W's had their walkoff win.

And now the Landers appeared doomed. While it is possible for them to win three straight games against the W's, the odd do not look good, as the first two of those games will be against Pete Alexander and Cy Young respectively, and that would be a tall order for any team, let alone one that has found it impossible to deal with Jack McDowell on a regular basis.

That feeling of certain death hovered over the Landers' lockerroom, even as mrnoun tried to remain defiant, "No! No! This isn't how this series is going to end! We can't lose like this, Rivera is supposed to be the greatest closer of all time and he blows the save? Eri loving Yoshida picks up the win? We've given up a win and a save to a 5'3'', 120-pound teenage girl! How is that possible? How can this be happening? What did I do wrong? All I wanted was a little glory. After all I've done for the league, don't I deserve something like that? Can't I get something a bit better than defeat after defeat? No...that's not right, I'm not beaten yet, I'm not close to being beaten. We can still win this series, we can still win the Super-League Championship. We can do this!...right?"

St. Mark Bellhorn, who is on the W's roster but has not yet appeared in the series, was more skeptical, "Men rarely gain what is their due. For good or ill, the inequities of the world appear unending. It would be easy to surrender, to given in to the despair. But I cannot. For a very long time, I have watched a man, a wicked man, prowl this league as if he were a jackal and this proud institution little more than carrion. Marauder...he remains out there, laughing, plotting, seeking to make a meal out of the fallen. A true jackal of a man. I know that he is waiting for me and the W's, I know not whether it will be our destiny to meet him in this next round, in the form of the Phoenixes, or later, as the Finger-Bangers. Perhaps it will be both. My humor is not so sanguine as to pretend it will be neither. I would like to think that another team could take up this dread burden of dispatching Marauder's creatures, but, after so many seasons of seeing so many fail, how do we have any choice but to take this burden upon ourselves?"

Game 3 will take place on the loving moon. Greg Maddux will try to save the Landers, while Pete Alexander tries to bury them deep.

Box Score

Game 3

Don May posted:

LANDERS' COMEBACK MOOTED, W'S COMPLETE SWEEP

Moonbase 0-2- So close.

The Landers fought to the end. If nothing else, at least they can say that.

After a series of errors from Eddie Joost and mediocre pitching from Greg Maddux left the Eazy W's with a three-run lead and only three outs to the Smasher League Championship Series. The Landers could have folded, could have given up, but they didn't. They fought.

Rob Dibble certainly didn't help matters for his team, as he was wild to start the inning, issuing a walk to Hank Aaron and hitting George Brett with a pitch. The Landers were in business. But they couldn't keep it up, with a Garciaparra fly out and an Eddie Joost strikeout leaving them just one out from elimination.

On the mound, Dibble was in a good place, he had gotten two straight outs, and all he had to do was get one more out before the Landers scored three runs. Tim Raines, not a real power threat, was at the plate, meaning that unless he really screwed up a pitch, the Landers were going nowhere fast.

And then he really screwed up a pitch, and Raines drove in two runs with a long double to the outfield wall. The tying run was now at second base, and Eddie Collins, perhaps the best second baseman to ever live, was at the plate. The Landers could do this. With Raines' speed, if Collins could get the ball to drop almost anywhere in fair territory, Raines would be able to run home and tie the game. And from there, it was just one more run to winning the game and extending the series to a fourth game, where Pedro Martinez would be waiting. Staring into this potential glory, Collins could not wait a second longer, and made contact with the first pitch thrown by Dibble, he could feel it, this was not the end for the Landers...

...In a kinder world, that groundball would have rocketed just past the glove of Asdrubal Cabrera, and Raines would have sprinted home. The Landers would have their tie, and then the win when Joe DiMaggio hit a game-winning single a few moments later. In Game 4, Pedro would show the form that helped get his team past the Mashers in the wildcard game, and the series would be tied. And then Roger Clemens would finally get his revenge on that damned Jack McDowell. From there, the victories would just keep on coming. A hard-fought Smasher League Championship series against the Gumshoes, won by the Landers in six games, and proving once and for all just who the best team in the Senor Goodtimes Division. In the Finals, Marauder would bring his diabolical Finger-Bangers into Moonbase 0-2, but the Landers, now battle-tested, would win the series in five games, a decisive victory over the darkest of teams. And then...apotheosis! The Landers would become the first team to ever defeat the Macho Men, winning eternal glory by breaking the Macho Men bullpen in the tenth inning of Game 9. The Luna Landers would be the greatest team to have ever played in the Super-League. In a kinder world.

In this world, Cabrera fielded the grounder, threw Collins out, and the W's won the game, the series, and even the Lander's Larkin-Downing Title. The Super-League can be a cruel, cruel place.

The Eazy W's, now the Larkin-Downing and Television Champions, will face either the Gumshoes or the Phoenixes in the Smasher League Championship Series. They will have home-field advantage.

Box Score

Updated Playoff Bracket

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Expansion Cup VIII Playoff and Gauntlet Pick Em Scores
Through SLCS Series 1

pre:
Senerio                 16
Pander                  14
Armitage                13
cbx                     12
Gabriel Pope            12
Monathin                12
NotThatSamBeckett       10
CVE                      9
Gricklegrass             9
theacox                  9
Mooseontheloose          6
ScottyJSno               5
gingemidget              4
Bograt                   3
No changes to the top 2, but Armitage jumps into 3rd place by scoring best on the Landers-Eazy Ws series.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Never expected to be so close to the top still. Small victories!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

The Oranges are from Florida. That's pretty awful and all you really need to know.

Florida Oranges

Owner: oldskool
Home Grounds: Tropicana Field

Teams Used
1991 New York Mets
1998 Philadelphia Phillies
2004 Philadelphia Phillies
2006 Minnesota Twins

Past Records
Expansion Cup III
93-69, Taggart League Champions
Lost to Deadwood Cutthroats 3-4 in Finals
Super-League IV
90-72, 2nd Place, Vae Victis Division, Wildcard
Lost to Boston Skyhawks 0-3 in DLDS
Super-League V
93-69, Vae Victis Division Champions
Defeated Dorchester Phantoms 3-2 in DLDS
Lost to Fukuoka Finger-Bangers 1-4 in DLCS
Super-League VI
92-70, 3rd Place, Vae Victis Division, Wildcard
Defeated Dubai Dervishes 1-0 in Wildcard Playoff
Lost to Rockford Losers 2-3 in DLDS
Super-League VII
76-86, 2nd Place, Vae Victis Division, Gauntletted
Gauntlet VI
Round 7: 22-18, 2nd Place, Survived
Round 8: 28-12, T-1st Place, Survived
Round 9: 19-21, T-2nd Place, Survived
Super-League VIII
65-97, 5th Place, Vae Victis Division, Gauntletted
Gauntlet VII
Round 2: 20-20, 3rd Place, Relegated

Juiced: The Best of the Florida Oranges

Expansion Cup Championship: Florida Oranges vs. Deadwood Cutthroats
Post-Season, Expansion Cup III, Best-of-Seven Series

-Going into this match, the question was whether Bonds and the Oranges' bullpen would be able to withstand the Cutthroats' power hitters. The Oranges had been playing a typical "Florida Heel" role, and were being positioned for a mid-card push at the time. In addition, the winner would receive Babe Ruth for the upcoming Super-League IV.

-The Oranges start out with their typical (for that time) Schilling opener, which the Cutthroats try and reverse with Eppa Rixey. This goes nowhere, and the teams trade scoreless innings until Chase Utley finally manages to push a run across to win the game for the Oranges 2-1. Oranges Lead 1-0

-Seeking to pick up another fall on the Cutthroats, the Oranges send out Santana to take on Dolf Luque. After a lot of stalling to start the match, the Oranges finally tag in their bullpen, and pick up a run in the ninth. But the Cutthroats, with time running out, are able to kick out of the deficit with a run of their own, sending the bout into extra innings. After a near-fall in the eleventh, John Olerud finishes off the Oranges with a curtain call single in the twelfth. Series Tied 1-1

-Both teams try and rest before the series continues, but the Oranges take a cheap shot when the umpire's back is turned, and David Cone is able to ride the momentum for an easy win. Oranges lead 2-1

-With the Cutthroats still reeling, the Oranges strike fast again, with Viola hitting Sweet Music for the easy pin, and the Oranges move within one more fall of winning the vacant title. Oranges lead 3-1

-Schilling comes out and cuts a promo on the Cutthroats, who look like they're on their last legs. This gives the Cutthroats time to regroup, and Dale Murphy manages to get a shot off of Schilling, laying out the Oranges starter, and leading to an easy win. Oranges Lead 3-2

-The Oranges, near exhausted, put all of their energy into beating the Cutthroats one last time to end the series as Santana starts for the team. Unfortunately, it's not enough, as the Cutthroats slowly but surely change the momentum of the match. Billy Wagner makes a hot tag, and tries to slow down the Deadwood team, but gets pummeled for the Cutthroats win, and the series is tied! Series Tied 3-3 After the match, David Cone comes out to argue with the umpire, and manages to get beaten down by the Cutthroats, and it's announced that he'll miss the final game of the series.

-Running out of steam, the Oranges put the rest of their power into one fourth-inning Sunshine State Stunner that sees them score five runs. But that proves not to be enough, as their lead slowly crumbles, and eventually the Cutthroats manage to take the lead and the series.

Winner and NEW Expansion Cup III Champion: Deadwood via 4-3 decision
-A lot of interesting things happened, but this was ultimately an underwhelming debut for the Oranges. Granted, the Cutthroats weren't the greatest workers in the world, but you would have liked to see a more dynamic performance from the Oranges, who too often looked completely green out on the diamond. Still, better days would be ahead. **1/4

Smasher League Intercontinental Title: Des Moines Dervishes (c) vs. Florida Oranges
Super-League IV, Week 12

-Coming into this match, the Dervishes had managed to hold the Intercontinental Championship for six weeks, which seems almost unthinkable now. The Oranges, who had spent the previous month intentionally tanking their record in order to be able to take Albert Pujols in the Super-Draft, were on a hot streak, and had won the first two game of the series, setting up this title bout.

-Pete Alexander, essentially the only good thing about the Dervishes at this point, starts off for his team against Francisco Liriano from the Oranges. Kind of amazing to think that a team that would have Liriano start games for them would ever amount to anything. In one of the bigger shockers in Super-League history to that point, Liriano is able to keep pace with Alexander, lasting over six innings before tagging in the bullpen. Eventually, the Oranges are able to tag Alexander for a run, and he is reeling. The Dervishes, though, are able to pounce on the Oranges, as the bullpen chooses to taunt the Dervishes rather than just finishing them off, and the Des Moines team battles back to a tie, sending the game into extra innings. The Dervishes try to finish off the Oranges with Billy Wagner, but Justin Morneau reverses him into a long home run to give the Oranges the lead. Jeff Reardon comes in and the Rear-done finishes it in 10 innings.

Winner and NEW Intercontinental Champions: Oranges via 2-1 decision in 10 innings
-Definitely an exciting match, as Pete Alexander made the Dervishes almost watchable. Almost. The Oranges were slowly turning into the "Sunshine Vultures" that would win a lot of games over the next few years, even if they hadn't quite Albert Pujols yet. The ending did feel a bit rushed, as Morneau was hardly the most effective finisher in the world, but it was still a solid match. ***

Intercontinental Title: Florida Oranges (c) vs. Boston Skyhawks
Super-League IV, Week 17

-The Skyhawks, as you might expect, get a huge reaction from the crowd, especially when it's announced that Nolan Ryan will be starting the game for them. Interestingly, the Oranges are starting to get a bit of heat of their own, likely because people weren't exactly thrilled by their tanking earlier in the season.

-Ryan, as usual, is dominant, allowing only one run through seven innings. But the Oranges are able to come back thanks to an Abreu home run, and Billy Wagner closes things out with the Ferrum Fireball to score the upset win.

Winner and STILL Intercontinental Champions: Oranges via 2-1 decision
-Not really much of a match, and really just a set-up for later. With the playoffs coming, it was clear that the Oranges were going to be facing the Skyhawks, who, despite losing in the playoffs the year before, were considered close to invincible. So by letting the Oranges score a win against the Skyhawks' best pitcher, it made the idea of the Oranges somehow pulling off the upset in the playoffs theoretically possible. Still, it was a game to set up other games, and not that great in and of itself. *1/2

Intercontinental Title: Florida Oranges (c) vs. Cleveland Unicorns
Super-League IV, Week 17

-For context, the Oranges had held the Intercontinental Title for five weeks at this point, and had just been rolling, and so it was thought that it was time for them to drop the Intercontinental Title to another mid-carder and then move up to challenging for the Super-League Title.

-The Unicorns roll out Sam Leever, in the midst of his "Unstoppable Deadballer" period, to take on Johan Santana. The Oranges tease a late comeback, but the outcome is never really in doubt as the Unicorns dominate from beginning to end. Urbina then gets the pin with the Machete to send the Intercontinental Title back to Cleveland.

Winner and NEW Intercontinental Champions: Cleveland Unicorns

-It was time for the Oranges to move on, and the Unicorns were the team to take the Intercontinental Title from them. That said, this could have been more dramatic of a match, as the Oranges just kind of rolled over. **

Dynamo League Divisional Series: Boston Skyhawks vs. Florida Oranges
Super-League IV, Post-season, Best-of-Five Series

-This was during the Skyhawks' farewell tour, so, as you might guess, the crowd was fully behind them. The Oranges, for their part, had snuck into the playoffs over the Finger-Bangers of all teams, and no one expected much.

-Because of Ryan's sore arm, the Skyhawks decided to rest him for this series, leaving Pete Alexander to pitch Game 1. You can probably guess how that went for the Oranges. Skyhawks lead 1-0

-Game 2 is more of the same. The Skyhawks take a lead at the beginning of the game, and then just ride it out for the easy 4-2 win. Not exactly the most scintillating of performances, but the Skyhawks were always more technically proficient than dynamic. Skyhawks lead 2-0

-The Oranges start off hot in Game 3, scoring three runs, and then taunting the Skyhawks. As you would expect from the Skyhawks, their comeback is more a matter of slow attrition rather than any big spots or anything. The Skyhawks were always more interesting on paper than they were in the real games, although they are still probably the greatest Super-League team to ever play. Eckersley hits the Ecks Factor, and that is that for the Oranges. Skyhawks win 3-0

Winner: Boston Skyhawks via 3-0 decision
-How much you like this match depends entirely on how much you like the old-school Super-League. The Skyhawks were the definitive team in the Super-League's early years, with a offense that was just good enough to allow them to slowly choke out their opponents with pitching. Of course, that's not the most exciting thing to watch compared to the high-octane Bobbleheads or Finger-Bangers, or even the more overtly dominating pitching of Losers, but you can't deny how effective it was. This series follows the traditional formula, with the Skyhawks just slowly wearing the Oranges down with the millstone of their pitching until they won. Not exciting, but a brilliant display nonetheless. ****

Dynamo League Divisional Series, Game 5: Florida Oranges vs. Dorchester Phantoms
Super-League V, Post-Season

-Going into this series, the Oranges had the best record in the Dynamo League, and the smart money was on them to win the Dynamo League.

-We start this series already in progress, so a quick summary: The Oranges had managed to beat the Phantoms twice in Florida, only to end up losing two straight to the Phantoms back in Dorchester. This led to the infamous promo where oldskool called the entire city of Boston "a bunch of racist White Trash urban hillbillies", and promising to send them all home crying. Obviously, they did not take this well, and oldskool barely got out of Massachusetts alive.

-Before the game even officially starts, the Oranges make a sneak attack on Brooks Robinson, injuring him badly. The Phantoms come out to make the save, but Robinson is badly hurt, and it shows as he makes an error, letting the Oranges take a lead, and with Santana on the mound against the Phantoms' weakness, that wraps it up. The Oranges celebrate their first series win.

Winner: Florida Oranges via 3-2 decision
-This was about as good a series as a team was apt to have with the Phantoms, who couldn't really work at all. It's a real testament to the Oranges of this period that they could make a series with as patchwork a team as the Phantoms even slightly exciting. The only problem is that, by not giving the Oranges a clean win here, they did hurt the credibility of the Oranges as real contenders. Then again, given what was about to happen, it's not the worst thing that ever happened to the Oranges. ***1/4

Dynamo League Championship Series: Florida Oranges vs. Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
Super-League V, Postseason (Best of Seven Series)

-Oh boy, this series. Listen, I get why this happened the way it did. The Bangers needed to be built as a credible contender going into the finals, but this was no way to build up a young team. Let's just get down to the carnage.

-Since the opener is in Florida, the Oranges get a huge reaction. Marauder the Bangers aren't impressed, though, and don't even seem to acknowledge the Oranges. And then the Oranges smack Fingers in the back of the head and he blows the save, and he is down, and the Oranges win Game 1! Oranges lead 1-0

-And then Don Sutton crushes the Bangers with the Black & Decker. Series Tied 1-1

-And Dazzy Vance connects with the Dazzler. Bangers lead 2-1

-And Joe Williams hits with the Smoke Bomb, and the Oranges could not look worse. Bangers lead 3-1

-And Schilling with the Chapter 11 finally ends the slaughter. Bangers win 4-1

Winner and NEW Dynamo League Champion: Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
-Not a lot to say about this one. Management obviously felt more comfortable with the Bangers as champions than the Oranges, and so cut the Oranges off at the knees. I'm not exactly sure what they thought would happen to the Oranges after this loss, maybe settle into the mid-card or something, but it's pretty clear that it pretty much signed the death warrant for the Oranges. *1/2

Intercontinental Title: Rochester Generics (c) vs. Florida Oranges
Super-League VI, Week 25

-We're in Super-League VI now, and the Oranges are starting to slip a bit, as the Rockford Losers are going to win the Vae Victis Division by seven games. Still, with the season winding down, the Oranges are pretty close to locking up a wildcard slot. But first they have a date with the Generics, who are the current Intercontinental Champions. The Oranges won the first two games to set up this title game.

-Bob Welch starts for the Oranges, and either he is on something, or the Generics just didn't feel like putting in much effort, because they fold, losing 11-0. The Oranges are the new Intercontinental Champions!

-After the match comes the part that got this included in this set, as oldskool cuts a vicious promo on the Generics, declaring that, "I've seen Rochester, I've lived in Rochester, and let me tell you all something, the day that I get beaten by some punk from Rochester is the day I retire, because that place is Satan's rear end in a top hat, except with more loving snow."

Winner and NEW Intercontinental Champions: Florda Oranges
-Well, this was a thing. 1/2*

Dynamo League Divisional Series: Florida Oranges vs. Rockford Losers
Super-League VI, Postseason, Best-of-five series

-The collection skips over the playoff between the Oranges and Dervishes, which is fine, because it wasn't very much good, and it's not like the Dervishes ever had much charisma anyway. Humungus, however, the frontman for the Losers at this point, has scads, and immediately gets the Rockford crowd going by declaring that the Oranges are relics of the past that must now be disposed of. Well, he said it better.

-Bob Welch starts again. If anyone ever wonders why it is that the Oranges were forced into retirement, the answer can pretty much be summed up by "Bob Welch starts again." Anyway, the Oranges dominate the early going, and the Losers eventually concede the game to save their energy. Oranges lead 1-0

-The Losers come storming back, and are able to use the old Skyhawks trick of just slowly choking the life from the Oranges with better pitching. The Losers really are the successors to the Skyhawks in a lot of ways...except for, you know, actually winning the Super-League. Series tied 1-1

-The Oranges had avoided Ryan in their matchup with the Skyhawks, but they can't avoid him here, and, even though they try, they can't escape the Ryan Express. Losers lead 2-1

-Down 2-1, the Oranges are desperate, and bait the Losers into making a bunch of errors. It's not the cleanest of wins, but it gets them to Game 5, and that's all that matters. Also, a rough postseason debut for Satchel Paige, who really struggled here. Series tied 2-2

-Game 5! Who starts for the Oranges? That's right, the immortal Bob Welch! You can probably guess where this is heading, as Bob Welch is the jobbiest jobber who ever pitched in the Super-League. The Losers score a few runs off him, and that's all there is. Losers win 3-2

Winner: Rockford Losers via 3-2 decision
-One of the better series of the later days of the Oranges, although getting to work with a team as solid as the Losers probably had something to do with that. Some have called this a 'passing the torch' moment, but I'm not sure I buy that, as the Oranges were never really anything more than transitional champions in the Vae Victis Division and, if anything, it was the Losers beating the Murderbots for the wildcard in Super-League V that really was a changing of the guard moment. Still, a good series, and important for developing the Losers. Didn't do much for the Oranges, though. ***3/4

-The collection also skips over the Oranges losing the Intercontinental Title to the St. Paul Bearers, which is probably for the best given how badly their push fizzled.

Intercontinental Title #1 Contender's Match: Polyarny Postmodernists (c) vs. Florida Oranges
Super-League VII, Week 18

-Thankfully, this is the only match for the Oranges from Super-League VII, which was just a bad period for the team, as they just couldn't get any momentum going.

-The story behind this match is a bit complicated. The Postmodernists had just won the Intercontinental Title, and the Oranges were the next team in line to face them for the title. The Oranges won Game 1, setting up this game, and if they won here, they would receive a title shot in the next game. The secondary title rules are sometimes a bit arcane.

-Postmodernists start off fast under Vic Willis, and the Oranges are reeling. Or maybe they're just gassed, it's hard to say, but, like I said, this wasn't the best period for them. Anyway, they manage to battle back into a tie on points, and the bullpen gets tagged in to keep the game going. But then Denny Rainwater's music hits, and you know that poo poo is about to get real. For those who don't remember, Denny Rainwater was a nobody that the Postmodernists made into their closer thinking it would get them over with the crowd. It sort of did, but Rainwater was one of the worst performers in Super-League history, and played a major role in ending the Postmodernists' career. Anyway, Rainwater comes out, and the Oranges are not impressed...and then the massacre happens as the Oranges ring up Rainwater for six runs. Even more brutally, the Postmodernists just keep him in there the whole time, not letting him tag out. Just brutal.

-The Oranges then go on to win their third Intercontinental Championship in the next game.

Winner: Florida Oranges
-I know that a lot of people liked Denny Rainwater for the camp value, but he just doesn't do anything for me, and ruined what could have been a tense game between two teams tried to move up the ladder in the Super-League. *

-The Oranges would lose the Intercontinental Title again a couple of weeks later to the Old Hoss Radbourns. It's hard to see why that happened, but it did.

-The Oranges then got sent to the Gauntlet, where they won a couple of round before participating in the most confusing match in Gauntlet history.

Gauntlet Match, Final Round: Florida Oranges vs. Second City Saints vs. Cleveland Unicorns vs. Portland Bulldogs
Gauntlet VI, Round 9
Winner receives the vacant Intercontinental Title

-Okay, let's break this down. The Bulldogs and the Saints had been feuding for months over Senerio's allegations that TKBomber7285 was a cheater, and should have been barred from the Super-League. Meanwhile, past stalwarts Unicorns and Oranges had down seasons, and were trying to fight their way out of the Gauntlet. After the typical attrition of the Expansion season, it was ruled that only the first team to lose in this round would be relegated. But then Senerio announced that the Saints would be retiring regardless of the outcome, making the round meaningless, until he convinced Smasher Dynamo to add a stipulation to the match, whereby if the Bulldogs finished in last place, they would be relegated, and the Lombard St. Gumshoes would take their place in Super-League VII. The net effect is that all the Oranges were fighting for was the Intercontinental Title.

-Oranges start out against the Saints, who rough them up a bit, but neither side is particularly eager to do damage to the other, especially since Senerio needs to make sure that the Oranges don't end up in last, or else the Bulldogs will survive. This goes on for a while until the Bulldogs come in.

-The Bulldogs, as the only team who are facing relegation, are on fire against the Oranges, and just start mauling them over and over until the Saints finally manage to rescue the Oranges, who try and regain their equilibrium for a bit, but are clearly pretty badly beaten, and spend the final part of the match just hanging on and hoping that the Saints can do enough damage to the Bulldogs to slide the Intercontinental Title over to the Oranges.

-The Saints are putting the finishing touches on the Bulldogs, and look like they're about to finish their nemesis off when they run out time, and it goes to a judge's decision...and the Bulldogs score a win over the Oranges! And because the Saints aren't eligible to receive the Intercontinental Title, the Bulldogs get that too! And the Saints storm out, fuming over the loss as the Bulldogs celebrate their win.

Winner and NEW Intercontinental Champions: Portland Bulldogs
-Confusing and with far too many stipulations that hurt the drama of the round, since only one team was actually facing any sort of existential threat. Still, there was the compelling story of the self-righteous Saints trying to finish the Bulldogs once and for all before they retired. Of course, that made the Oranges somewhat of a third wheel, as being in a match just to take the loss isn't exactly good for a team. ***1/4

-No mention of the Oranges winning and losing the Hardcore Title in Super-League VIII, which is for the best, since we've already seen the Bangers destroy the Oranges once, and don't need to see it again.

Intercontinental Title: Florida Dickshots (c) vs. Florida Oranges
Super-League VIII, Week 14

-Might as well call this the 'retirement watch' match. The Dickshots weren't going anywhere, so it didn't really hurt them to lose the Intercontinental Title here, and it was worth a nice nostalgia pop for the Oranges in their last bit of greatness.

-Oranges start Pedro, and I think this was just a few weeks before they flipped him to the Spooners for the injured corpse of Pete Alexander. He's excellent, and the Oranges get a nice easy win over the not-exactly-stiff competition of the Dickshots, who had themselves taken the Intercontinental Title on a fluke win over the Unspecifieds a few weeks earlier.

-Not shown is the Oranges losing the title the very next week to the Imperialists, and probably for good reason, as it wouldn't be much fun to close this out with two straight beatings courtesy of Viscount Slim.

Winner and NEW Intercontinental Champion: Florida Oranges
-At least it was short. Still, it was nice to see the Oranges with some gold, if only for old time's sake. **

Gauntlet Match: Florida Oranges vs. New England Arguments vs. Rochester Generics vs. Burma Imperialists
Gauntlet VII, Round 2
Two bottom teams are relegated

-Most people, going into this round, thought that the Oranges were close to locks to escape this round, especially since the Generics hadn't been particularly impressive in Round 1.

-Oranges start off against the Arguments, and they actually look strong, not that looking strong against the Arguments is particularly impressive. More worryingly, though, all of the trading they did in Super-League VIII meant that Bob Welch had to go back into the rotation, which wasn't so much a red flag as a red flag with flashing lights and alarm bells going off. But hey, I'm sure things will work out!

-Oranges take on the Imperialists next, and they manage to mainly hold their own, and they seems like they're pretty close to making it to the next round of the Gauntlet.

-In an anti-climax, the Burma Imperialists snap the neck of the Arguments with a barrage of wins.

Relegated from the Super-League: New England Arguments

-The Generics and Oranges now face off to see which one of them will live, and which will die. The Oranges just have to fight the Generics to a standstill to win, but the Oranges are slowly but surely pushed back and, fittingly, it is Bob Welch who starts the deciding game for the Oranges, which ends in a 6-0 Generics win, and the Oranges are relegated!

-The Generics taunt the beaten Oranges, and I guess this counts as karmic justice for oldskool's comments about Rochester back in Super-League VI.

Relegated from the Super-League: Florida Oranges

Surviving to Round 3: Burma Imperialists and Rochester Generics
-Again, kind of an uneven match. The Generics-Oranges bit was compelling, as both were veteran teams who had been scrapping to survive for a while. Still, the Oranges were so broken down by this point that it's not really all that surprising that the Generics were able to take them down. Kind of a sad end to a team that once had promise, though.

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.
That was pretty amazing, Smasher. A worthy tribute to a veteran team.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Genuinely didn't expect that to happen...

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Pick 'em

Burma
Pessimists

Mooseontheloose, I owuld love to see your Dispersal Draft thoughts even if the players in it aren't fixed yet. Getting a third party opinion on my problem zones can only be considered helpful.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Throughout all the seasons, I never dreamed that my favorite obituary would be my own. :golfclap: Glorious.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

It occurs to me that my bullpen will more than likely be wrecked once I enter the Super League proper, so I'm shopping my first-round pick for top-notch bullpen help. This is a first-round pick, not a dispersal or second round.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Expansion Cup VIII Remaining Update Schedule

Thursday 2/7 - September Summary
Saturday 2/9 - McQueen League Championship Series
Monday 2/11 - Taggart League Championship Series
Wednesday 2/13 - Expansion Cup VIII Championship Series

If anybody wants to do mock drafts/extra content, feel free.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

cbx posted:

It occurs to me that my bullpen will more than likely be wrecked once I enter the Super League proper, so I'm shopping my first-round pick for top-notch bullpen help. This is a first-round pick, not a dispersal or second round.

Soria? He's always done well for me.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

cbx posted:

I'll offer Rollie Fingers and Robin Roberts for the pick if I survive into Super League IX.

CVE posted:

Mooseontheloose, I owuld love to see your Dispersal Draft thoughts even if the players in it aren't fixed yet. Getting a third party opinion on my problem zones can only be considered helpful.

I think you have your moose based usernames mixed up, because I was the one who originally offered to go over this. No worries, though.

I'll post my thoughts on teams sometime soon, along with potentially a mock draft.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

cbx posted:

I'd be willing to talk about Smoltz once the play offs are over.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CVE posted:

Not sure what help I could be to you but here are the three things that come to mind. Essentially, why me? :)

1. Why aren't you starting Wally Pip?
2. I think you have to find two sluggers in the draft if possible. Your first priority has to be offense, I think your SP and Bullpen are fine. If you could, best hitter you can find, and then a high OBP guy as your second pick. For your third, I dunno, maybe another RP.
3. Use your glut of SP to maybe trade for another hitter as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Well, let's

Albany Pessimists

cbx (DEC)
CVE (MDM)
GrickleGrass (MAN)
NotThatSamBeckett (PAR)
theacox (CER)

Burma Imperialists

Armitage (JAC)
cbx (DEC)
CVE (MDM)
Gabriel Pope (OMA)
gingemidget (WAL)
GrickleGrass (MAN)
Monathin (CNT)
mooseontheloose (HRV)
NotThatSamBeckett (PAR)
Pander (SAD)
ScottyJSno (LOV)
Senerio (NOW)
theacox (CER)

Cuba Smokers

mooseontheloose (HRV)
ScottyJSno (LOV)
Senerio (NOW)

Rochester Generics

Armitage (JAC)
Gabriel Pope (OMA)
gingemidget (WAL)
Monathin (CNT)
Pander (SAD)

There was some divergence in picking one of the survivors, with five people each picking the Generics and Pessimists, and three others picking the Smokers. I'm not so sure about the Smokers, who never really looked all that good in the Super-League, but I can understand picking the Pessimists over the Generics, especially since the Pessimists were better in the same league this season.

Everyone picked the Imperialists. Everyone. That's how sure you all are that the Imperialists are going to win this round, that not a single one of you tried to get ahead by picking against the prevailing opinion, because it just wasn't worth it. But, you know something, the craziest things can happen in a Gauntlet Round...

Standings

Sometimes the conventional wisdom is actually right.

Imperialists and Generics survive!

Imperialists took two of the last three against the Pessimists, and that sealed their fate.

Well, that and Ryan Braun being a complete and utter failure. Which is odd, because you would think moving him closer to BALCo would have helped...

The Imperialists continue to roll. Can they survive all nine rounds? I don't know. Probably not. But I really would like to see them do just that. They'll probably be favorites until clear into Round 7 or 8.

NED GARVER!

So, what happened? Well, it appears that the Smokers' hitters got together, and, for the sake of the Super-League, agreed to work together to not hit, and ensure the total destruction of your team. As a man who located his team in one of the last Communist countries on Earth, surely Shadow_gamer can appreciate a successful labor action such as this.

That's right, the Generics survived Walter Johnson having an ERA over 7 for the round. I feel like the only way to kill the Generics now is to throw them in Mount Doom. Then have a meteor hit Mount Doom. Then detonate the entire Earth's supply of nuclear weapons on the rubble. And then they'd still probably win another few rounds in the Gauntlet.

Pick 'em: Also Sprach Babe Ruth-stra
Pick TWO!
Burma Imperialists
Rochester Generics
Saturn Biosparks
Seattle Suicides

A note on the obits
I'll definitely get to most of them...eventually. Just give me a bit of time.

Also, anyone want to memorialize the Smokers?