Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Invalid Octopus posted:

Haha. Rats. Super, post some pictures of your rats.

Buuuuuuuuh okay, the agouti is Stacee and the beige hooded if Jaxx. I am currently not BYBing any rats and have just been BYBing mice because rat genetics are boring for me at this point and everything I have readily available is a walking health problem and bleh. So, it's just them. I've had Stacee for like...6 months and Jaxx I got like a month ago-ish.

quote:

Also, what would you call Oswald's markings? Blazed collared?

Yeah, blazed cap/striped or collared, same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
I see that you don't have any covering on some of the racks in your cage, I've had to do this recently for some of my other rats because of lice but I am concerned that it is hurting their little feet, is this not the case because overall it is cleaner and they have tons of hammocks.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I have never bothered to cover the flooring of my cages, ever. Rat ladies have screamed about bumblefoot and various foot issues since the dawn of time but I've never had an issue- bumblefoot, in my experience, is more of a problem caused by obesity and sanitation than wire floors. YMMV. v :) v

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
It's a stomach tumor. I couldn't even feel it until the vet showed me where it was. They gave me a small painkiller and antibiotic mix to dose her with every 12 hours but if she doesn't pick up I'll be looking at putting her to sleep. I don't think being bedridden is much of a life for her.

:(

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Lord Windy posted:

It's a stomach tumor. I couldn't even feel it until the vet showed me where it was. They gave me a small painkiller and antibiotic mix to dose her with every 12 hours but if she doesn't pick up I'll be looking at putting her to sleep. I don't think being bedridden is much of a life for her.

Aww, I'm sorry. I was worried about a tumor of some kind since, with rats, if its not respiratory its probably a tumor. If her quality of life is poor I would do the same. You're the best judge.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

So my goddamn rats tore up and ate parts of the fleece liners I used. Fuuuck you guys :mad: At least my cardboard bale arrived today so bleh, back to cardboard when I clean them out next.

It's so much prettier with fleece but my rats obviously can't have nice things.

Superconsndar posted:

Buuuuuuuuh okay, the agouti is Stacee and the beige hooded if Jaxx. I am currently not BYBing any rats and have just been BYBing mice because rat genetics are boring for me at this point and everything I have readily available is a walking health problem and bleh. So, it's just them. I've had Stacee for like...6 months and Jaxx I got like a month ago-ish.

Aww, Jaxx is still in that cute baby-face stage. :3:

What mice varieties are you bybing at the moment?

Lord Windy posted:

Man that sucks. I'm sorry. :smith:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fraction posted:

Aww, Jaxx is still in that cute baby-face stage. :3:

What mice varieties are you bybing at the moment?

Still brindles and tans, (mostly in satin) though all of the weird c dilutes my blue brindles produced has me interested in playing with those dilutions because of all the cool/weird/funky stuff they make. I'll try to post some pics later when I'm not at work. :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Tans? What kind of tans?

Black tans and chocolate tans make me squeal, even though I'm not Into Mice now. If you have c dilutes, can you use them to get foxes? Or is it ch or something specifically needed for that?

I forgot all my mouse stuff :saddowns:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Guys, I think Angela might have a pituitary tumor :(. I'm hoping we're just being paranoid because of Patti, but, I don't know if we are. I love her. She's my favorite rat. I love her.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I noticed today Spartacus has very laboured breathing. No wheezing sound, no porphyrin, no nothing, he's just lethargic and breathing heavily. Vet tomorrow .

Invalid Octopus posted:

Guys, I think Angela might have a pituitary tumor :(. I'm hoping we're just being paranoid because of Patti, but, I don't know if we are. I love her. She's my favorite rat. I love her.

That sucks. I hope not. :(

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Invalid Octopus posted:

Big Bug Hug posted:

I noticed today Spartacus has very laboured breathing. No wheezing sound, no porphyrin, no nothing, he's just lethargic and breathing heavily. Vet tomorrow .

Oh dear, looks like there is bad news going around everywhere at the moment. I hope the vet trips just involve good news and both your little ratties are ok :(

As it turns out with Hailey, there is a silver lining to the news of the tumour. She has made a remarkable recovery over the past 48 hours. From not being able to move, to almost where she was before the whole ordeal. She is feeding and getting water without me hand feeding and more excitedly she has found her feet and is mobile rather than bed ridden. But I based the decision of not putting her down today solely on the fact that she was bruxing and climbing out of my hand and back onto my shoulder while I was giving her yoghurt today. If she is enjoying the small things and getting stronger I'm happy to let her go on for as long as she is.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Agreed Windy, as long as she's happy :) I had a boy kick along for 8 months with a tumor, it never bothered him. He was the most spoiled rat ever. Of course it depends on the individual. I hope she goes well.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Aw man, there sure is a lot of sadness going around here. :(

My rats got to free range right out of their cage for the first time today. Everyone except Valentine came out after a couple of minutes. They all scampered straight back into their cage if anything spooked them, too :3: Catching Pandora was a total pain though, she was up on top of the cage and kept dashing away when I tried to grab her. rear end rat.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Your rats are so goddamn adorable. I want a dumbo. I want more rats already.

Kriek still spooks really easily and won't really let us touch her on top. Side/belly tickles are fine. Weirdo rat :( We got them from a reputable breeder, so I dunno why she's as reticent; she doesn't really care about exploring all that much either. Other than being red-eyed and near-blind, I guess, but still. She's really friendly, loves coming out onto the cage door to see you and nuzzle you, even runs right up your arm and sticks her nose in your ear while making happy noises. But if you want to touch her, well, back the gently caress off I am rat durr. As far as we can tell, she just knows she has it good in the cage and so has no real interests other than running away from her sister and falling off the shelf.

Chimay is basically a standard girl rat, as far as I can tell. Boisterous, likes play-fighting with your hand, begrudgingly accepts being picked up and plonked on shoulders but immediately makes suicide jumps or slides sadly down your back, loves to explore more than anything, and is rather rude to her sister. They have a wonderful dynamic where, because of their respective personalities, Chimay gets most of the treats, runs away and hides them, and Kriek calmly takes them away and eats them when Chimay leaves.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 30, 2013

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I'm 99% sure that's what it is, we just caught it really early. Have a vet appointment in an hour. Thanks guys.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Just left the vet's. Owning rats loving sucks sometimes.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
And after the remarkable recovery came the quick fall. Woke up today and Hailey was back where she was on the 28th.

I feel terrible that I had to put her down. I think she knew what was going to happen because she spent because she spent the vet ride trying to chew the metal bars and looking for a way out. But it was better this way :(

EDIT:

How do I look after her sister while I work out what to do? She doesn't have any friends at the moment, and I don't want her to get sick and die

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 31, 2013

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Invalid Octopus posted:

Just left the vet's. Owning rats loving sucks sometimes.

I'm so sorry :smith:

Lord Windy posted:

And after the remarkable recovery came the quick fall. Woke up today and Hailey was back where she was on the 28th.

I feel terrible that I had to put her down. I think she knew what was going to happen because she spent because she spent the vet ride trying to chew the metal bars and looking for a way out. But it was better this way :(

EDIT:

How do I look after her sister while I work out what to do? She doesn't have any friends at the moment, and I don't want her to get sick and die

My condolences LW :(

Try and keep her sister on or with you as much as you can. Are you deciding whether to get more rats, or whether to keep her as a singleton? How old is she?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
10 months old. Way too young to go on without company. I'm just not sure how I want to go about sourcing a new friend. The nurse at the vet used to be a breeder and offered to invite me to a rat society meeting to get in line for one of their breeders. My other options are pet stores (where I got them from originally.) or try to find a rat shelter.

Personally I'd prefer a rat shelter one, but I don't know who does that in Brisbane Queensland

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Lord Windy posted:

10 months old. Way too young to go on without company. I'm just not sure how I want to go about sourcing a new friend. The nurse at the vet used to be a breeder and offered to invite me to a rat society meeting to get in line for one of their breeders. My other options are pet stores (where I got them from originally.) or try to find a rat shelter.

Personally I'd prefer a rat shelter one, but I don't know who does that in Brisbane Queensland

Ah you're Aussie too. Have you tried the QLD rat fanciers society website for breeders and shelters? I am on the NSW rfs forums and there are even a lot of QLD breeders and stuff on there if you wanna have a look.

I'm sorry about Hailey :( Nothing harder than that final trip to the vet.

I know it doesn't help all the sad crap going on here atm much, but Spartacus is doing better, eating solid food again. The vet said she could only just detect noise in his lungs. Hopefully the antibiotics will clear it up.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Just go buy a rat

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

:mad: You promised mouse pics, Super!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

STOP REMEMBERING THINGS THAT I SAY

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

:qq: if you stuck to your promises i wouldnt have to rememberrrr :qq:

fyi I still remember the promise of a new rat thread. :mad:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fraction posted:

:qq: if you stuck to your promises i wouldnt have to rememberrrr :qq:

It's true :qq:

quote:

fyi I still remember the promise of a new rat thread. :mad:

I'm so butthurt at life because I was so gung-ho about making the new thread. We thought immigration was going to be delayed and I thought I was going to have a few days - weeks of dead time while we waited on our visa, and then like RIGHT AFTER I made that post, life went "OH HI HERE IS YOUR VISA MAKE TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS NOW MOVE INTO HOUSE NOW GET MARRIED NOW GOOOOOOOOOOO"

I wanna do the thread so bad but between all of the above and the fact that I might as well live at the office I barely have time to do things like Sleep or Eat Food right now much less carepost waaaah excuses :qq:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
As funny as it is when you stress out over it Super :p Don't worry about it. Pretty sure we're just teasing you about it :)

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I've always been kind of jumpy with rats after having experiences with them being bitey, but my wife loves them and has been bummed for awhile now that we didn't have one. Her friend had to move for school and couldn't take her new rat with. We inherited the rat and I'm proud to say I absolutely adore her. She is the sweetest little thing. Needless to say my stance on rats has changed. Here have a crappy picture of Rina in the new bed we picked up for her. Proud papa here.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

ApexAftermath posted:

I've always been kind of jumpy with rats after having experiences with them being bitey, but my wife loves them and has been bummed for awhile now that we didn't have one. Her friend had to move for school and couldn't take her new rat with. We inherited the rat and I'm proud to say I absolutely adore her. She is the sweetest little thing. Needless to say my stance on rats has changed. Here have a crappy picture of Rina in the new bed we picked up for her. Proud papa here.

She's very cute. Are you going to get her a buddy?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Big Bug Hug posted:

As funny as it is when you stress out over it Super :p Don't worry about it. Pretty sure we're just teasing you about it :)

Yeah I'm just being a pretend rear end not an irl rear end :v:

Are you rewriting the entire OP or something, Super?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Invalid Octopus posted:

She's very cute. Are you going to get her a buddy?

I hadn't thought about it yet. Sounds fun!

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

ApexAftermath posted:

I hadn't thought about it yet. Sounds fun!

Rats really benefit from having other rats around – they're very social animals. I'd definitely recommend getting one or two more!

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Owner benefits from having at least two rats: Snuggling, antics, adorableness. Do it!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

More rats = more cute

Five rats are five times as cute :3:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Seriously two+ rats is great. They play and wrestle and snuggle up, and its no more work than one really. Is Rina she a baby or fully grown, I can't really tell in that pic. Introductions between adults can be complicated but introducing two babies, or a baby to an adult is easier.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 3, 2013

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Its not just beneficial, keeping rats singly tends to gently caress them up pretty badly in general even if it is not readily apparent to the owner so yeah, 2+ rats.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Big Bug Hug posted:

Seriously two+ rats is great. They play and wrestle and snuggle up, and its no more work than one really. Is Rina she a baby or fully grown, I can't really tell in that pic. Introductions between adults can be complicated but introducing two babies, or a baby to an adult is easier.

Shes not a year old yet. So should I just get another baby rat? The cage is about standard size I guess. Can 2 rats be comfortable like that or should I get a bigger cage?

Superconsndar posted:

Its not just beneficial, keeping rats singly tends to gently caress them up pretty badly in general even if it is not readily apparent to the owner so yeah, 2+ rats.

Noted. I might go buy one tomorrow in that case.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

What are the dimensions of the cage? Read up on introductions; don't just plonk a baby in the cage with her!

Chell rat best rat. Of all of my girls, Chell is the only one who will venture out of my sleeve/chest when snoozing and lie still for scritches.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I read the OP a couple days ago but I'll probably need to read again. I just got the impression that a baby with an older rat might be easier. Are you saying I should still do the two cages thing or....?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

ApexAftermath posted:

I read the OP a couple days ago but I'll probably need to read again. I just got the impression that a baby with an older rat might be easier. Are you saying I should still do the two cages thing or....?

I would have a second cage on hand just for general principles – transportation, quarantine, etc. Some older rats are fine with babies, some aren't. Depends on the rat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I think I'll pick up a smaller second cage to introduce them. I need to get some toys too.