Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Right now I have 6 forests and 130 land and haven't felt too slowed down yet. I haven't bought the IAP time doubler.

I ran out of people to splice last night but one of my shiny towers (24hr build time :() has just finished building so I have 6 possible clones to make and 3 more towers still building.

But I did get a fair amount of the plutonium or whatever by completing achievements and obsessively filling hearts.

EDIT: Y'all know you can go to the achievements (once you have the police station unlocked) page and collect one-time plutonium bonuses from most (if not all?) of your completed cheevos, right?

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Are the animals from hearts all unique? I hope so but it feels like I should have a lot more of them filled out in my little chart, by this point.

vvv gently caress. Also, it pisses me off that you can still get the 5k reward after you've gotten the 50k one, and after 5k doesn't even matter any more.

graventy fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 5, 2013

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

graventy posted:

Are the animals from hearts all unique? I hope so but it feels like I should have a lot more of them filled out in my little chart, by this point.

I think you can get dupes. I'm pretty sure I had unicorn unlocked twice, at any rate...

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

It's only used so often because it's easy to do by independent folks. Unless they have the resources to hire a good artist you're probably more likely to get something mediocre or worse instead of just "safe" pixel graphics.

:saddowns:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

LittleCat posted:

Have you used any decor? It makes a big difference for keeping costs down. It's a painful land investment, but if you're using the 3 spirit decor it helps a lot.

Looks like land prices about double each purchase. At that rate, the decor isn't worth the land cost. It maxes out at 50% off, and uses a minimum of 19 land to do so, assuming all Space Gem decor. So now you've essentially paying land prices 1 level lower (half price cancels out one doubling), for the low low cost of 2 levels worth of land. It also speeds up your other buildings and clones, which is all right, and might be worth it to you for that. For the ~75 gems, you could have just asked your lawyers to bribe you more land instead.

Now if you have a few free blocks of land and are ready to upgrade, throw down as many rice paddies as you have room. 10k for 0.5% off pays for itself after the 2mil level. Just delete them when you need to free up the space.

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006
Think twice before you spend IAP on Pixel People. The game would crash during the load screen so I couldn't play, following their directions to delete cloud data removed all IAP. Clicking on City Hall for a restore has no effect.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Stock Wars is a pretty good virtual stock market game. Even if you aren't into the stock market, it's interesting to buy up stock, and see how much you would have made (but probably lost) if it were real money. Good way to practice for the real thing and compare yourselves to other traders.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

ChocNitty posted:

Stock Wars is a pretty good virtual stock market game. Even if you aren't into the stock market, it's interesting to buy up stock, and see how much you would have made (but probably lost) if it were real money. Good way to practice for the real thing and compare yourselves to other traders.

It's probably really sad but this is something I've always wanted. Thanks for letting me know it exists.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Are there any fun and free-of-freemium business sims out there? Something along the lines of Pizza Tycoon.

After a bit of a search, I might give Karnival a try. It came out in '09 before people had really figured out how to exploit the poo poo out of IAP.

And for some reason the iPad version is cheaper. :woot:

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!
Psylent - I really enjoyed GP story and it was more interesting than game dev story (at least to me.)

Now I'm in the same boat, looking for something similar without the building placement aspects that are plaguing other kairo soft games and without lovely 'buy money with iap' mechanics.

I'm vaguely considering writing my own but it sounds like a lot of work :saddowns:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I had an idea for a sim about running a music venue a couple of pages back that people seemed to like. I have no skills, time, equipment etc but if someone stole that idea and made a game out of it I'd be very happy.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Bummey posted:

Coast Guard just went free. It's a rather old line drawing game, sort of a mic of harbor master and... a game where you blow up other ships. I rather liked it back then. Get it!

http://appshopper.com/games/coast-guard

Quoting again since this got stuck at the bottom of the last page.

Naf
Jul 3, 2007
Can anyone recommend a Texas hold-em game that does not involve IAP virtual currency - just something similar to 'Poker night at the Inventory' on steam?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So for anyone that's played Beastie bay, got any tips? It seems like I get food incredibly slowly and going through a dungeon kills my food stores. early in the game, leaving me with a lot of "sit on your rear end and do nothing" time.

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.

Evil Fluffy posted:

So for anyone that's played Beastie bay, got any tips? It seems like I get food incredibly slowly and going through a dungeon kills my food stores. early in the game, leaving me with a lot of "sit on your rear end and do nothing" time.

I don't know if this will help you, but I'm a bit of a completionist and tried to capture every new/unique beasty that I ran into. Early in the game, I kept sailing to the first island, returning, sailing again. If you have enough beasties staying at home farming, you will do much better. I think it says somewhere in the game that they eat more food as they level up but also gather more, so you'll want to rotate some of them into your party so you don't have low levels trying to keep your "main" higher levels supplied. If you've only got a few of them, they'll be eating your food, and won't be available to help harvest if you drag them off on adventures all the time.

TL;DR : Get more beasties!

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Colbear posted:

I think you can get dupes. I'm pretty sure I had unicorn unlocked twice, at any rate...

It definitely dupe because I've had three loving camels.

160 land is where it slowed me down a lot, with 25% discount thats 45mil. Switching your phones date forward works for an effective fast forward, however restoring the correct date tells you 'a time anomaly occurred' or something to that effect and gives you -1 land, so then I had 160/159 - Stupid move.

Mocha Frost posted:

Think twice before you spend IAP on Pixel People. The game would crash during the load screen so I couldn't play, following their directions to delete cloud data removed all IAP. Clicking on City Hall for a restore has no effect.

I had it crashing with 'newer data available from the cloud' every minute or so after load. Turned off cloud saving and that fixed it for me but I'm not sure if yours is the same issue.

DRINK ME fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 5, 2013

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Naf posted:

Can anyone recommend a Texas hold-em game that does not involve IAP virtual currency - just something similar to 'Poker night at the Inventory' on steam?

I'm assuming you've tried Zynga Live Poker?

While it definitely pushes IAP, it's definitely not required, as there are plenty of low stakes tablets, and free chip gifts daily.

I'm a big poker player, and i've tried all the popular poker apps, but Zynga is still the best. It has the largest player base, and quickest gameplay flow. Good variety of games too.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

PFlats posted:

Looks like land prices about double each purchase. At that rate, the decor isn't worth the land cost. It maxes out at 50% off, and uses a minimum of 19 land to do so, assuming all Space Gem decor. So now you've essentially paying land prices 1 level lower (half price cancels out one doubling), for the low low cost of 2 levels worth of land. It also speeds up your other buildings and clones, which is all right, and might be worth it to you for that. For the ~75 gems, you could have just asked your lawyers to bribe you more land instead.

Now if you have a few free blocks of land and are ready to upgrade, throw down as many rice paddies as you have room. 10k for 0.5% off pays for itself after the 2mil level. Just delete them when you need to free up the space.

That all sounds like math, sure. I don't believe it doubles each level after a point - my most recent have been 70 mil and 84 mil, both at a 30% discount. But that doesn't change your point - still, it feels good to have things go faster.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Lawen posted:

Apparently there's a bug in Pixel People where your town can disappear and your view is just empty space background; clicking anywhere on the screen pops up "Return to Town Center?" but hitting "Yes" doesn't do anything. I saw a couple of people complaining about the same thing in App Store reviews and in the TA thread for the game but haven't seen a fix. Anyone know of a work around? I've tried deleting the game from my iPad and reinstalling it, didn't make any difference. I'm not having any problems on my iPhone so I'd rather not delete my iCloud save.

E: Nevermind, some combination of force closing and reopening it on both devices seems to have worked.
I have this problem on my iPod touch. It says it's loading from the iCloud but I just get a blank, space-filled void. Plus the game crashes after 30 seconds. Meanwhile, on my iPad, it asks me to log into my iCloud account even though I am already logged in and the game shows as having iCloud data. Closed, uninstalled, restarted both devices to no avail. Seems like I'm stuck with this game on my iPad. Oh well, still not through with the latest Kairosoft title anyway.
Edit: Fixed half the problem. Still in void-world on the iPod.
Edit2: And fixed the rest. Took typing all this out to understand this crap. For anyone else with this problem, try turning your device's iCloud settings off for whatever is getting the blank town, reinstalling, playing through the tutorial, then turning iCloud on again.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 5, 2013

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
What's the deal with Ghost Trick? I can't figure out the save system, I played through most of a puzzle but lost at the end, didn't have the time to do it again but noticed if I retried I could just continue from the fate change, so I saved and left. I come back to the game and it starts me at the very beginning of the scene, making me watch the death all over again and go through the dialogue. There's no way that I'll have to deal with this for every time I save during a puzzle? Talk about a mobile-unfriendly game...

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

psylent posted:

Are there any fun and free-of-freemium business sims out there? Something along the lines of Pizza Tycoon.

After a bit of a search, I might give Karnival a try. It came out in '09 before people had really figured out how to exploit the poo poo out of IAP.

And for some reason the iPad version is cheaper. :woot:

Cook, Serve, Delicious! might scratch that itch for you, although the management side of the game is very light (choosing your menu, buying food/equipment, reading email). The gameplay itself is a blast!

Dragonshirt fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 5, 2013

Power Dips
Feb 6, 2008
hey bobby malone, it's good to have you home, a couple months on the couch while you figure things out, won't do you wrong.
Goddamn you people for getting me addicted to Pixel People. Can you recommend any puzzle games while I wait for new clones? I like Professor Layton type stuff, ty! :)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Power Dips posted:

Goddamn you people for getting me addicted to Pixel People. Can you recommend any puzzle games while I wait for new clones? I like Professor Layton type stuff, ty! :)

Puzzle Agent!

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

psylent posted:

Hell I would take a paid Tycoon game railroad, or pizza, if there was a good one out there.

Power Dips
Feb 6, 2008
hey bobby malone, it's good to have you home, a couple months on the couch while you figure things out, won't do you wrong.

Bummey posted:

Puzzle Agent!

Game won't even open on my iPad :/

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Little Inferno! Fire is awesome.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Naf posted:

Practice (non-online) mode in PlayScreen Poker 2, does not use IAP virtual currency.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Looks like the Pixel People dev will let you relocate citizens to allow you to delete housing you no longer want in a future update.

Also I'm loving all the puns in the profession names + flavour texts. Very nice touch

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
I realize I'm super late to the whole Pocket Planes thing, but decided to get into it after seeing it also has a Mac version! Is there a goon flight crew? How useful is being a member of one?

retro sexual posted:

Also I'm loving all the puns in the profession names + flavour texts. Very nice touch

I agree, the names are excellent!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

They are pretty good.

Anyone know how to get Tech Support? It seems to elude me :(

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

goethe gear xx posted:

I realize I'm super late to the whole Pocket Planes thing, but decided to get into it after seeing it also has a Mac version! Is there a goon flight crew? How useful is being a member of one?

There is a Pocket Planes thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490290

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Anime_Otaku posted:

So, Little Inferno took a surprisingly dark turn.

Really don't know what you mean by this, are you referring to the first video you see? Where people are on fire?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Teddybear posted:

They are pretty good.

Splicing a Programmer (Mathematician + Engineer) should spawn the Tech Support building.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Programmer, Mathematician + Engineer

Power Dips
Feb 6, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

Little Inferno! Fire is awesome.

I really need to have a productive life and this isn't helping :mad:

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

I could have missed it but I don't think I've seen a single mention of Wordament in this thread. It's a free, massively multiplayer word game from microsoft and it has me and the mrs addicted.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Oh shush I already gave you guys at least $50 across all your games, maybe you should hire an artist :smugdog:

I was talking about games that use pixel assets out of laziness, not style. I'm still in love with all the Tiny Frogs and Pocket Fuckin'

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I need a new addicting game, I just finished puzzlecraft, and I'm over puzzles and dragons. Can anyone help me fail some classes this semester?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

elmer fud posted:

I need a new addicting game, I just finished puzzlecraft, and I'm over puzzles and dragons. Can anyone help me fail some classes this semester?

Have you done New Star Soccer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
That Dice Soccer game is fun, but they could be more clear in explaining the powerups. For free it's a nice little game.

• Locked thread