Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

dud root posted:

Witcher 1 was a huge jerk for that, but I though in 2 Geralt had his sword ready 90% of the time?

More like 25%, most talky cutscenes have Geralt with his sword sheathed, he'll usually draw them automatically right as the scene ends but in that time you can take a few blows if you're unlucky.

Witcher 1 was way worse for this though, yeah, one of the reasons I never tried replaying it (that and it's endless dragging in some places).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm ok with that in a situation where Geralt has been ambushed or backstabbed. I'm not ok with it when it's crap like the Draug where you're unsheathing your sword right when you come out of loading the quick save and he gets a free hit half the time.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Started playing this over the weekend and loving it so far.

Two words: Medieval Dildos.

:catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare::catstare:

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
If you play your cards right, you'll find yourself in a veritable forest of dildos in Act II.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Sometimes a dream quest is just a dream quest, dude.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I'm ok with that in a situation where Geralt has been ambushed or backstabbed. I'm not ok with it when it's crap like the Draug where you're unsheathing your sword right when you come out of loading the quick save and he gets a free hit half the time.

I recall Geralt having his sword already drawn when the Draug cutscene ended, maybe that's a save/load issue?

I'd be cool with it if Geralt could at least use signs or dodge without needing his sword at the ready. Hey dudes, think you got me by suprise? Have my upgraded Aard to the face! Unfortunately the game needs Geralt with his sword out before allowing any combat options including signs, which is really annoying. Since the first game had the same problems I would've thought they'd catch that for the second.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Witcher 3 has been announced:
http://www.destructoid.com/the-witcher-3-revealed-complete-with-bearded-geralt-244044.phtml

Bearded Geralt with a hooded blond woman who has a witcher sword. Should be great~

book spoilers: yay Ciri!!

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

GoldenNugget posted:

Bearded Geralt

Game of the Forever, Day One, etc

The inevitable trailer will be pretty much the best thing to happen to videogame trailers all year, I'm almost certain.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm wondering how the open worldyness is going to play out in this game. I've got an image of something like a not-lovely Gothic 3 in my mind right now.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I assume it's all going to take place in Nilfgaard? That area definitely looks what I remember them telling us about Nilfgaard.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Cityinthesea posted:

I assume it's all going to take place in Nilfgaard? That area definitely looks what I remember them telling us about Nilfgaard.

A good chunk of the game is probably going to take place in Nilfgaard, although Im kinda hoping there is some stuff taking place in the border kingdoms/regions.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tons and tons of bits of info here: http://gamingeverything.com/39177/witcher-3-confirmed-is-next-gen-featured-in-game-informer/

Sounding really drat nice so far.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This gave me a gamer stiffy.

EDIT: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/02/04/march-cover-reveal-witcher-3-wild-hunt.aspx

Video.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 5, 2013

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'm liking it a lot. Most interesting so far is that they acknowledge the backwards difficulty curve. Personally I like it either way, with that moment that comes from Witcher 2 combat clicking. It's so satisfying when I realized I can gently caress with every kind of enemy if I just know how. But there's been a number of folks turned away from that, and as long as the inherent skill-based combat is retained, I'm cool with it being more of a natural curve.

I also like their acknowledgment of the roll breaking the poo poo out of combat, and that they're looking to balance the animation time of the strikes along with making blocking/dodging available at any time.

Really good stuff. I love these guys.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Use monster hunting for "incoming". Why do I feel like all translation duties are given to the same 2-3 guys who sorta speak English?

Edit "Dude is DONE fighting for everyone else". IMO, the Witcher books were at their absolute worst when Geralt was entirely out on his own. Conversely, they were at their best when he had work out a compromise between his code/desires and pressure from the powers that be.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 5, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Use monster hunting for "incoming". Why do I feel like all translation duties are given to the same 2-3 guys who sorta speak English?

Edit "Dude is DONE fighting for everyone else". IMO, the Witcher books were at their absolute worst when Geralt was entirely out on his own. Conversely, they were at their best when he had work out a compromise between his code/desires and pressure from the powers that be.

Games aren't books, though.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

SpRahl posted:

A good chunk of the game is probably going to take place in Nilfgaard, although Im kinda hoping there is some stuff taking place in the border kingdoms/regions.

The info dump listed Skellige, Novigrad and No Man's Land. Skellige seems to be a viking-themed archipelago, Novigrad is a free city in Redania, and No Man's Land seems to be something entirely made up by the developers. Skellige and Novigrad seem pretty far from each other so I guess there will be some load screens, heh.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Well that gave me a total girl boner.

Novigrad is basically the New York of the Witcher-verse. Huge, sprawling city. Man, I'm excited to see how they pull that off.

Gaaahhhhhhhhhh. So excited!

A Humble Emperor
Dec 30, 2007

With a big big crown!
Yeeees more wild hunt! I loving love the wild hunt. And open world too. So awesome.

I wonder if Triss will be involved given the blonde haired lady in that picture and the fact Yennefer will presumably be around too.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Yesss GOTY incoming. Already more info than DA3, clearly we need a new thread

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

A Humble Emperor posted:

I wonder if Triss will be involved given the blonde haired lady in that picture and the fact Yennefer will presumably be around too.

The blonde girl is most probably Ciri - Geralt's kind-of-adopted-daughter. He trained her to be witcher (witcheress?) in the novels. That inclusion would really pump the fandom up.

The game sounds spectacular. I hope they go further down the Dark Souls/Dragon's Dogma route. Unforgivable difficulty, bleakness all around. Fits the world like a glove.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
CDP must reuse this line in The Witcher 3.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone else think that the hooded platinum blonde person behind Geralt will be Ciri? I do!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Oh boy! 2014 is a long ways off, a bit early to get excited, but they seem to be on the right track.

Interesting how they directly compare W3 to Skyrim, it seems the two series are set for competition. Which can only turn out well for us players, now that Gothic is dead. :)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This will probably be the game that gets me to upgrade my vid card when it comes out. I bought Witcher 2 to celebrate building a new computer that could run it at full and no other game has come close to looking as amazing as the Witcher does.

Burns
May 10, 2008

drat, one of the first true next-gen games by the sound of it. I really hope they pull off zone transitions without loading. That alone would make it superior to Skyrim.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Burns posted:

drat, one of the first true next-gen games by the sound of it. I really hope they pull off zone transitions without loading. That alone would make it superior to Skyrim.

I know Gothic 3 isn't very popular, but at least it was possible to traverse its entire map, including dungeons and interiors, without any loading screens. Why hasn't anyone replicated that since! :argh:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

I know Gothic 3 isn't very popular, but at least it was possible to traverse its entire map, including dungeons and interiors, without any loading screens. Why hasn't anyone replicated that since! :argh:

I'm okay with the larger dungeons being their own zones, but houses need to have no loading screens, dangit!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone else think that the hooded platinum blonde person behind Geralt will be Ciri? I do!
Nah. I think Dorregaray has finally gotten tired of Geralt slaying rare monsters species all over the place, and polymorphed himself into a blond sorceress, because that seemed to be the best and only way to get through Geralt's thick skull. The gameplay is going to consist of them traveling the countryside, Gerlat picking up monster slaying quests, and Dorregaray talking him out of completing them with flirtatious looks. The sexually confusing buddy comedy of the year.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Xander77 posted:

Nah. I think Dorregaray has finally gotten tired of Geralt slaying rare monsters species all over the place, and polymorphed himself into a blond sorceress, because that seemed to be the best and only way to get through Geralt's thick skull. The gameplay is going to consist of them traveling the countryside, Gerlat picking up monster slaying quests, and Dorregaray talking him out of completing them with flirtatious looks. The sexually confusing buddy comedy of the year.

Please refresh me on who Dorregaray is.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

chaosapiant posted:

witcher sword on the horse is no coincidence!

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

chaosapiant posted:

Please refresh me on who Dorregaray is.

Sorcerer who took part in the hunt for the golden dragon in The Sword of Destiny short stories.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

edit: just kidding, title reveal is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsse7ml89GA

Leb fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 5, 2013

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Leb posted:

Sorcerer who took part in the hunt for the golden dragon in The Sword of Destiny short stories.

That's right, I remember now! It's been a while since I read that. If I remember correctly, that was with the three-jackdaws dude/Saskia's father.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I hope going fully open world in Witcher 3 doesn't mess up the game too much. I guess if any company can pull it off it'd be these guys. Geralt also has a beard.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guess I should get round to finishing the Witcher 1 sometime soon. I really enjoyed the Wizard & Glass feel of the first chapter (and will make Stephen King references everytime I talk about this game because it makes me feel well-read dammit), but hit a massive massive wall once I got to Vizima. Did most of it with a walkthrough in hand because I had no idea where to go or how to figure it out. I opened the tower in the swamp, got stuck at the boss and gave up.

Are there any mods that are useful for smoothing out the edges and fixing the stupendously large skill trees in that game?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I love open world games but given how story heavy the last two of these have been it makes me nervous. I hope the transition works out. I think they can pull it off though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Sharmat posted:

I love open world games but given how story heavy the last two of these have been it makes me nervous. I hope the transition works out. I think they can pull it off though.

Just think of New Vegas, in the Witcherverse, by CDPR.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

chaosapiant posted:

Just think of New Vegas, in the Witcherverse, by CDPR.

I would never buy another video game again if this turned out good. It'd be like the incredible threequel/franchise finale Mass Effect and AssCreed shoulda had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

- Pursue yor long-lost love, play the game of empires on behalf of the northern kingdoms that still claim independence, and thwart the nefarious Wild Hunt
- Quests: help villagers, engineer the succession of the Skellige kings, etc.
- Second step: political situation and Nilfgaardian invasion is resolved through the core plotline of the major areas (Skellige, Novigrad, No Man’s Land)
This definitely implies politics will still be a part of the game. You have to read really selectively to assume no politics.

Davincie fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 5, 2013

• Locked thread