Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Joementum posted:

From that article:

So she's still thinking about it and is writing a book? Yup, definitely sounds like she's for-sure-not-running :rolleyes:

Trans-Am still revving, undeterred

quote:

If she does it, it’s hard to see how the nomination won’t be hers for the asking.

It's like our pundit class has learned absolutely noth

oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/01/clinton-could-win-texas-in-2016.html

Hillary is leading Christie and Rubio in Texas for 2016... I can't imagine that this would hold up once she gets down in the muck of day to day politics but it's very telling...

Standish
May 21, 2001

mcmagic posted:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/01/clinton-could-win-texas-in-2016.html

Hillary is leading Christie and Rubio in Texas for 2016... I can't imagine that this would hold up once she gets down in the muck of day to day politics but it's very telling...

(Polls this early are just about name recognition, nothing else)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Standish posted:

(Polls this early are just about name recognition, nothing else)

Christie, Rubio and Hillary are all much more well known now than Obama was in 2006...

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

mcmagic posted:

Christie, Rubio and Hillary are all much more well known now than Obama was in 2006...

I think the lesson of 2008 should be that if we're talking about who's got the nomination locked up four years in advance, we're probably not as smart as we think we are. Even if she runs, it's not like she's got a proven record of competently running a national campaign.

But Hillary has huge name recognition, way beyond what Rubio and Christie have now - remember that name recognition isn't just among people engaged with the day-to-day political stories. Most people have probably never heard of Rubio, and Christie only in connection with Sandy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Clinton's campaign wasn't poorly run. It's strategy was the wrong strategy, and it's methods were antiquated, but the actual running of the machine was well oiled and efficient good old fashioned politics. It was just, for lack of a better metaphor, like a Maginot line, which was a good idea at the time and could have worked but the strategy was all wrong because they didn't think their enemy would come from another direction. Doesn't mean the people running the line were incompetent.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

greatn posted:

Clinton's campaign wasn't poorly run. It's strategy was the wrong strategy, and it's methods were antiquated, but the actual running of the machine was well oiled and efficient good old fashioned politics. It was just, for lack of a better metaphor, like a Maginot line, which was a good idea at the time and could have worked but the strategy was all wrong because they didn't think their enemy would come from another direction. Doesn't mean the people running the line were incompetent.

Aside from the well-documented crippling infighting, I don't think you can call "literally not knowing how delegates were apportioned" competent by any stretch of the imagination.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

mcmagic posted:

If I'm remembering 2008 correctly, she was polling pretty well here in TX but Obama got the lead on her due to the mixed format of the Texas primary where his ground game gave him a needed boost.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Uhhh...

quote:

It is hard to imagine the presidential field without a woman contender, and here’s one to keep your eye on: Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano. Napolitano is quietly making it known that she is considering the race, and there is reason to take her seriously.

Yeah, good luck with that, Janet.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I wonder if that was placed by Napolitano or someone trying to puff up the weak shortlist of women if Hillary doesn't run.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Except that Kirsten Gillibrand and Amy Klobuchar exist.

eta: QUICK, EVERYONE TO THE TEA LEAVES!

Joementum fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 5, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I forgot about Gillibrand.

Am I missing something about Klobuchar? Senator from Minnesota doesn't seem like a particularly good place to run from other than being next to Iowa.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Am I missing something about Klobuchar? Senator from Minnesota doesn't seem like a particularly good place to run from other than being next to Iowa.

Klobuchar is popular with the progressive activist base, which is not to say that she's a shoe-in for nomination or anything, but she at least has a base of support that she could use to source volunteers and fundraising. Napolitano has no natural constituency in the party she can draw on for support.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Joementum posted:

Klobuchar is popular with the progressive activist base, which is not to say that she's a shoe-in for nomination or anything, but she at least has a base of support that she could use to source volunteers and fundraising. Napolitano has no natural constituency in the party she can draw on for support.

She also is fairly moderate, which has lead to high popularity in Minnesota (she was what, +20 in her re elect?), and doesn't have a ton of controversial stances to get hit with, so she can play the bipartisan appeal card.

I doubt she could hold a campaign together, though - it's rumored (and from reliable people) that she has staff retention issues as is, so I would have concerns about that during a presidential cycle.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Joementum posted:

Except that Kirsten Gillibrand and Amy Klobuchar exist.

eta: QUICK, EVERYONE TO THE TEA LEAVES!

I would bet lots of cash that if Hillary doesn't run one of those 2 will be on the ticket, at least as a VP.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Kalman posted:

She also is fairly moderate, which has lead to high popularity in Minnesota (she was what, +20 in her re elect?), and doesn't have a ton of controversial stances to get hit with, so she can play the bipartisan appeal card.

I doubt she could hold a campaign together, though - it's rumored (and from reliable people) that she has staff retention issues as is, so I would have concerns about that during a presidential cycle.
I've heard about her problems with her staff a number of times, going back to when she was a county attorney, and apparently she can be really overly demanding in what she expects from them. A good campaign manager and staff could fix that, though. Her astoundingly high approval rating and re-election margin both have to drive her to at least raise the possibility of running in 2016 with party higher-ups. If she were able to win the nomination, she could potentially win nationally -- although, even as a Minnesotan and a fan of hers politically, there are, like, ten nationally viable Democrats I'd support before her.

It's also worth pointing out that she'd be fantastic in Iowa because of how good she is with retail politics, and she's actually really funny, too. Here's a joke she told some dinner in 2009.

quote:

John Edwards' talk of "two Americas," she said, "turned out to be the best pickup line of all time."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Doctor Candiru posted:

I've heard about her problems with her staff a number of times, going back to when she was a county attorney, and apparently she can be really overly demanding in what she expects from them. A good campaign manager and staff could fix that, though. Her astoundingly high approval rating and re-election margin both have to drive her to at least raise the possibility of running in 2016 with party higher-ups. If she were able to win the nomination, she could potentially win nationally -- although, even as a Minnesotan and a fan of hers politically, there are, like, ten nationally viable Democrats I'd support before her.

It's also worth pointing out that she'd be fantastic in Iowa because of how good she is with retail politics, and she's actually really funny, too. Here's a joke she told some dinner in 2009.

She's almost too unoffensive...

Orange Pilot
Mar 13, 2007
He romanticized it all out of proportion. To him, no matter what the season was, this was still a town that existed in black and white and pulsated to the great tunes of George Gershwin.
Caught Corey Booker on Bill Maher. I really enjoyed his demeanor, how I wish more politicians acted. I could not see him running against someone like Hilary though, not even VP material.
Which got me thinking, if Hilary did get the nomination, who do you think her VP would be?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Orange Pilot posted:

Caught Corey Booker on Bill Maher. I really enjoyed his demeanor, how I wish more politicians acted. I could not see him running against someone like Hilary though, not even VP material.
Which got me thinking, if Hilary did get the nomination, who do you think her VP would be?

Dunno, O'Malley? Schweitzer? Cuomo?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Dunno, O'Malley? Schweitzer? Cuomo?

Bill :getin:

E: he's not eligible constitutionally but what about a position in her cabinet?

monoceros4
Sep 1, 2006

As good at chess as Alekhine's cat

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Bill :getin:

E: he's not eligible constitutionally but what about a position in her cabinet?

Screw that, I want him on the Supreme Court, so even if a Republican got elected President down the road they'd still have to deal with a Clinton in Washington.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

monoceros4 posted:

Screw that, I want him on the Supreme Court, so even if a Republican got elected President down the road they'd still have to deal with a Clinton in Washington.
You do not want to waste a seat on an old man with heart problems.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
I just want someone replaced by Goodwin Liu on the Supreme Court, because gently caress the Senate.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Warszawa posted:

I just want someone replaced by Goodwin Liu on the Supreme Court, because gently caress the Senate.

Replace Scalia with Goodwin Liu, Thomas with (by that time former president) Obama.

SCOTUS Justice Obama would have opinions everyone would want to read because you know that poo poo would be fine-rear end literature. Opens with a description of the case, slices out the actual question before the court, then makes 10 pages of heart-lifting speech material before wrapping up with his rationale and dissent/concurrence. It would almost make you forgive the decision being something awful like domestic armed drone use not violating posse comitatus because the exercise of force embodied in the drone is not a deployed soldier on the ground.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

Uhhh...

Yeah, good luck with that, Janet.

Yeah, because when I think charisma and stage presence, I think Janet Napolitano...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary closed her 2008 Presidential campaign committee and transferred the funds to another committee that she used when running for Senate.

What could this all mean?!?!

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Orange Pilot posted:

Someone Hispanic if she wants to pander jussst right.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Paul Ryan may have learned that politics is more fun when you don't have to worry about elections.

quote:

His friends tell us the most obvious route — a run for the White House in 2016 — holds less appeal to him with each passing day. “He has no interest in the sheer grind of campaigning,” said a conservative who recently spent time with Ryan. “It’s hard to see him having ‘what it takes'.”

Instead, Ryan seems increasingly intrigued with the prospect of amassing more power within Congress, using his juice in the House leadership to promote his trademark Medicare plan and engineer spending cuts. The friends say this path could ultimately lead him to an eventual run for House GOP leader, or even speaker, an option they surmise he has warmed to since the election.

Much easier just to lean back in your sinecure and get invited on the TeeVee to talk about how serious your plans are.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Oh great, another 30-50 years of this rear end in a top hat. Just swell.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Can't see Ryan holding out over the long term after the novelty of a Republican willing to openly commit to a Randian budget allocation wears off, he'll stick around congress until he lands the right golden parachute or loses his seat in Hillary's landslide.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Joementum posted:

Paul Ryan may have learned that politics is more fun when you don't have to worry about elections.

Much easier just to lean back in your sinecure and get invited on the TeeVee to talk about how serious your plans are.

Or maybe he realizes that people hate him and his ideas.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Marco Rubio is going to drink beer and do an interview with Ben Smith starting soonish.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

ufarn posted:

Oh great, another 30-50 years of this rear end in a top hat. Just swell.

I doubt it. It's possible im underestimating his ability as a campaigner but I have real doubts of him ever be viable on the national stage. Combined with his ludicrous reputation as the smart guy in the room I'd put money on him banking a few million dollars running some policy institute/think tank in five years or so.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

R.A. Dickey posted:

I doubt it. It's possible im underestimating his ability as a campaigner but I have real doubts of him ever be viable on the national stage. Combined with his ludicrous reputation as the smart guy in the room I'd put money on him banking a few million dollars running some policy institute/think tank in five years or so.

It usually takes about 15-20 years in Congress before one gets on the track to become House Speaker. He ain't gonna stick around that long.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Joementum posted:

Marco Rubio is going to drink beer and do an interview with Ben Smith starting soonish.

Rubio is so loving slick. He does worry me in the future...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rubio got the kiss of death: he'll be delivering the GOP response for the State of the Union address. He will deliver the response in both Spanish and English.

This worked wonders in the past for Mitch Daniels, Paul Ryan, Bob McDonnell, and (of course) Bobby Jindal.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Delivering the SOTU response is the political equivalent of winning the Best New Artist Grammy.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

Rubio got the kiss of death: he'll be delivering the GOP response for the State of the Union address. He will deliver the response in both Spanish and English.

This worked wonders in the past for Mitch Daniels, Paul Ryan, Bob McDonnell, and (of course) Bobby Jindal.

I really, really want to be a fly on the wall for the whole "Rubio does bilingual stuff" discussions, because who's for it and against it is completely up in the air. On the one hand, Rubio is, for all his many failings, said to refuse to run away from his identity but on the other, any handler worth his salary is probably saying "How much do we want this guy to come off as SUPER LATINO?" while the GOP leadership sees both an opportunity to try to pander to Latinos and a possible problem by scaring all those Good White People in the Heartland.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

The Warszawa posted:

I really, really want to be a fly on the wall for the whole "Rubio does bilingual stuff" discussions, because who's for it and against it is completely up in the air. On the one hand, Rubio is, for all his many failings, said to refuse to run away from his identity but on the other, any handler worth his salary is probably saying "How much do we want this guy to come off as SUPER LATINO?" while the GOP leadership sees both an opportunity to try to pander to Latinos and a possible problem by scaring all those Good White People in the Heartland.

It's not as bad as it sounds. The Democrats started doing two different responses - one in English and a second in Spanish for the Spanish language stations - during the Bush 43 administration; there was even one year when Bill Richardson did both of them. The Republicans have continued this practice, and Rubio will do both the primary response and the separate secondary one for the Spanish speaking audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Joementum posted:

Rubio is on a different level from those guys in speaking skills and ability to look reasonable while pushing batshit policies.

• Locked thread