Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poison Cake
Feb 15, 2012

Capslock Holmes posted:

Any advice on constipation? My daughter is 7.5 months and the past few weeks hasn't been going much. She gets 5-6 oz of prune juice every day (now with a teaspoon of karo dark syrup per nurses recommendation) and is breast fed, no formula at all.

BTW, is pooping actually uncomfortable for your daughter? Breastfed babies can go a disconcertingly long time without pooping and it can be perfectly normal.

That said, I have big sympathies because this was always an issue in our household. It was never really solved until she expanded her diet to regularly drink plenty of water and eat a goodly amount of fruits/veggies. For what it's worth, other foods besides prunes that are good are are homemade applesauce and carrots. Also, as others noted fiber without sufficient liquid can be a problem and rice/rice cereal can be a real issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
My mom claims that any fruit/veg that starts with P is good for producing poop. Obviously this is "old folks" wisdom and not scientifically backed up, but peaches and plums can get the mail moving as well as prunes can. I've had good results with peaches; my son loved them pureed and cooked up warm like applesauce, and loves them now chunked up and lightly sauteed with a bit of cinnamon, and they've never failed to produce a level 3 hazmat situation in the diaper.

E: I do know that prunes are dried plums :) I differentiated because if a kid doesn't like one they might like the other.

Chicken McNobody fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 1, 2013

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Chicken McNobody posted:

My mom claims that any fruit/veg that starts with P is good for producing poop. Obviously this is "old folks" wisdom and not scientifically backed up, but peaches and plums can get the mail moving as well as prunes can. I've had good results with peaches; my son loved them pureed and cooked up warm like applesauce, and loves them now chunked up and lightly sauteed with a bit of cinnamon, and they've never failed to produce a level 3 hazmat situation in the diaper.

Prunes are dried plums. We've done peaches too actually, but probably a couple of weeks ago. The past few days we haven't really given her much of anything besides breastmilk. It doesn't seem to be helping so I'm thinking it's time to add food back.

Poison Cake posted:

BTW, is pooping actually uncomfortable for your daughter? Breastfed babies can go a disconcertingly long time without pooping and it can be perfectly normal.

That said, I have big sympathies because this was always an issue in our household. It was never really solved until she expanded her diet to regularly drink plenty of water and eat a goodly amount of fruits/veggies. For what it's worth, other foods besides prunes that are good are are homemade applesauce and carrots. Also, as others noted fiber without sufficient liquid can be a problem and rice/rice cereal can be a real issue.

We've never done rice/cereal. I just tried to give her some water, like 2 oz or so, and she looked at me like 'uhh dad, this is what I bathe in, not drink, what the hell??' and then started a screaming fit. I tried putting a splash of prune juice in there so maybe she'd go for it, but no. So 2 more oz of prune juice so I can get a few minutes of silence and some fluids in her tummy. Would pedialite be worth a try?

As far as pain-- it's hard to tell. The last one I can remember that she was able to get out on her own was described by my wife as a dog turd consistency, which wasn't quite normal for her, but she was trying a few new solids. It seems like that was forever ago. What I do know is that she's all pissed and inconsolable and then I shove one up her butt and she's the sweetest baby in the world 10 minutes later after she poops. The 'breastfed babies don't poop as much' concept is interesting to me-- I see stuff online saying babies can go a week or longer without pooping, but the the ped says they don't like them to go longer than 4 days, so it's hard to know what's right. Based on her mood after she goes, she seems to like pooping every day. Besides something like pedialite do y'all have any suggestions on how to get her to actually drink the water? Maybe a juice that isn't so fibrous?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Mine would refuse water in a bottle, it had to be in a straw cup.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
My son's poop consistency change dramatically upon starting solids regularly. Dog turd sounds about right compared to the normally seedy mustard colored breastmilk poop. Read here and see if the symptoms actually line up: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/constipation She may just be an irregular pooper.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Has anyone had any luck finding "mommy groups" or something similar that are decent to go to? Now that my son is getting his shots and is starting to react to the world around him, it would be nice to try to socialize with others more with him. I work from home after lunch Mon - Wed, and my husband doesn't get home from work till 10pm on those days. It would be nice to be able to get out with him and do something so I'm not going stir crazy with him on those days. I looked on meetup.com, but most of them seemed really annoying, had strict rules and waiting lists, or were doing things like taking long day trips out of town a couple times a month.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I joined a cloth diapering group via meetup and then we migrated to Facebook. I found some of my closest friends there. I also found friends at LLL meetings. There was a lot of crossover between the two groups too, so it was nice to see familiar faces at get togethers for either one. Have you tried library story times? I connected with a couple people there too. We started going to all of these when my son was around 4 months old and I was starting to go a little stir crazy with not getting regular adult interaction during the day.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Chickalicious posted:

My son's poop consistency change dramatically upon starting solids regularly. Dog turd sounds about right compared to the normally seedy mustard colored breastmilk poop. Read here and see if the symptoms actually line up: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/constipation She may just be an irregular pooper.

I'm starting to lean towards irregular pooper to be honest. My MIL said that my wife had similar problems when she was little, maybe not as bad as ours though. How important is mom's diet? If we load mom up on water and fiber will that affect her milk?

e: I think we're stuck with church groups as far as 'new parent groups' go which makes me sad.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chickalicious posted:

I joined a cloth diapering group via meetup and then we migrated to Facebook. I found some of my closest friends there. I also found friends at LLL meetings. There was a lot of crossover between the two groups too, so it was nice to see familiar faces at get togethers for either one. Have you tried library story times? I connected with a couple people there too. We started going to all of these when my son was around 4 months old and I was starting to go a little stir crazy with not getting regular adult interaction during the day.

I went to one LLL meeting and the people there seemed nice, but I'm no longer breast feeding so it would seem disingenuous. I'll have to look into the library. He's just over 2 months now so I'm trying to get some feelers out there. We only know one other couple with a baby. They just had her too so they're not really in the right place to socialize again.

Edit: We also don't attend any churches so that's out.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Alterian posted:

Has anyone had any luck finding "mommy groups" or something similar that are decent to go to? Now that my son is getting his shots and is starting to react to the world around him, it would be nice to try to socialize with others more with him. I work from home after lunch Mon - Wed, and my husband doesn't get home from work till 10pm on those days. It would be nice to be able to get out with him and do something so I'm not going stir crazy with him on those days. I looked on meetup.com, but most of them seemed really annoying, had strict rules and waiting lists, or were doing things like taking long day trips out of town a couple times a month.

We might be lucky, but my wife has a regular baby group she goes to on a Monday. Plus there are a pile of coffee shops in walking distance that hold mum & baby afternoons as well. Depending on the weather where you live there's nothing to stop you getting out for a long walk, the Mrs & baby go out for 3-4 6 mile walks a week here.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Take a look and see if Mommies network has a location by you. I don't really hang out on their local forums much anymore because my kids are older and I'm no longer cooped up indoors with toddlers driving me crazy- but 3 years ago it was a godsend for me. Obviously with any group the quality of the people you meet will vary but I made some awesome friends through Richmond Mommies who we still meet with 2-3 times a month to do adult playdates of tabletop RPG's while our kids play together. :3:

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Capslock Holmes posted:

I'm starting to lean towards irregular pooper to be honest. My MIL said that my wife had similar problems when she was little, maybe not as bad as ours though. How important is mom's diet? If we load mom up on water and fiber will that affect her milk?

e: I think we're stuck with church groups as far as 'new parent groups' go which makes me sad.

We were told to drink a large glass of water everytime my partner breastfeeds, if she doesn't drink one she gets headaches and a massive thirst. I'd think that water's important. Fibre doesn't exit the digestive system at all though, it merely helps to push out waste.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Hi, new mommy here. My daughter is almost 3 months old now. My husband and I love to travel and are wondering when we might be able to (enjoyably) travel with our newest addition. Is it crazy to think about European or UK travel (we're from the States) with her when she's about 18 months? We originally thought it might be a good age - she would have more of a schedule, we would be more confident as parents. Of course we would plan a more relaxed trip and not pack our days full like when we travel alone. But then we just went to a party where someone brought their 18 month old and he was a terror. Thoughts from other parents?

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

frenchnewwave posted:

Hi, new mommy here. My daughter is almost 3 months old now. My husband and I love to travel and are wondering when we might be able to (enjoyably) travel with our newest addition.

When she's about 4 years old.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

frenchnewwave posted:

Hi, new mommy here. My daughter is almost 3 months old now. My husband and I love to travel and are wondering when we might be able to (enjoyably) travel with our newest addition. Is it crazy to think about European or UK travel (we're from the States) with her when she's about 18 months? We originally thought it might be a good age - she would have more of a schedule, we would be more confident as parents. Of course we would plan a more relaxed trip and not pack our days full like when we travel alone. But then we just went to a party where someone brought their 18 month old and he was a terror. Thoughts from other parents?

From my experience 18 months would be pretty much one of the worst ages to travel with - just getting mobile and wanting to practice running about as much as they can but with absolutely no understanding of safety or not being horrible monsters. Also limited vocabulary so they can't vocalise anything they are upset about (or really even understand themselves what's wrong a lot of the time) so they throw tantrums. My friend flew from UK to South Africa when her little boy was about 18 months (with an 18 hour stop over in France) and she says it rates as one of the worst experiences of her life.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
My daughter just turned 2 and I'd only just now consider a short flight or long drive. She can express her needs, sit reasonably quietly, can use a tablet, and responds to bribes.

The thought of flying with her at 18 months gives me the loving vapors.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

frenchnewwave posted:

Yeah, gonna be a while. When we had serious travel with the sub-5 kids, we dropped them off with the grandparents. It is a shame, I'd have absolutely loved to take my toeheaded 3 year old to China with me, but schedules, food, hotels, everything makes it really hard for children and adults to be on their good behavior, or to actually get anything done.

Basically, a child can pretty effectively cancel any plan at any point, and unless you build in a plan for one of the adults to take the kid back to the hotel (this is a tough thing to do on a dive boat, or chicken bus) it is going to be goddamn miserable for everybody. And even if you can, it still means one adult has to skip whatever actually vacationing thing they wanted to do to pay attention to a fussy baby in a hotel room. Not vacation-awesome.

My youngest is 6 now, and we've travelled without concern for a couple years now, but I wouldn't do anything but visiting family travel with anybody under 4. They won't remember it, and they will gently caress it up at least a few times. If this is the only time you're ever going to be at the Imperial Whatever Museum, it is hard not to be very cross a 3 year old who isn't feeling it. But they can't help it, so the situation is best avoided. Stow the littles with the grandparents, everybody will be happier.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 5, 2013

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
frenchnewwave, the mere thought of taking just the transatlantic flight with either of my kids (almost 5, and almost 2) makes me want to drink, heavily. Having an enjoyable itinerary with them would be completely impossible. All the same scheduling responsibilities and child care requirements of home, except for the enormous inconvenience of not being home. Bonus points for the added crazy behavior that jet lag and not being in their familiar environment would bring. I would only do it under literal threat of death.

Put that right out of your head until she's in elementary school. No more naps, no more diapers, more able to enjoy the experience (or at least remember it) and has at least some ability to have patience and keep her poo poo together.

Slo-Tek, I'd love to see the reactions your kids would get in China/Asia in general. I have a very toeheaded friend who has traveled over there, and she said strangers kept taking her picture and petting her hair. :3:

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

frenchnewwave posted:

Travel when she's old enough to leave with Grandma and Grandpa and young enough to not resent you for it.

That being said, this age is good for short flights within the country. I flew from Mass to Florida when Chris was 4 months old and he basically slept most of the way, and when he was awake he was content to smile and laugh at the other passengers.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

frenchnewwave posted:

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA Enjoyably travel with your kid? Probably never. I would cut off a finger before I even considered transatlantic flight with my kids. We do a lot of road trips to visit family. 7 trips a year probably. 5 of them are about 500 miles each way, the other 2 are about 900 miles each way. We have to stop every 90 to 120 minutes adding hours to the trips, the car has more entertainment in it than a cineplex to try to keep them occupied. Not to mention packing 3 to 5 nights worth of crap for a pair of toddlers. They have more luggage than Paris Hilton. I look forward to going back to work after family vacation so I can relax for 8 hours and be around other adults.

I have a 3 year old and a 14 month old...I wouldn't even think about this until maybe 6 or 7.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

My MIL keeps on harping on us to fly to AU. Yea sure, we'll just hop on that 11 hour flight with a baby and a toddler. Seems like it'll be a ton of fun. People don't seem to consider the fact that when you fly and go somewhere for a week (at least) you need to bring other things. Like potentially carseats and a stroller. Maybe even a cot (although I'm sure it'd be more prudent to just purchase something cheap wherever you're going or find one to borrow).

I say if you're going to travel, do it when the child can really remember it. That way they're able to actually enjoy it - as are you. If you're just wanting to go somewhere for yourself, then go when the kid is younger (say, before 9 months or so) as they sleep a lot more.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

bamzilla posted:

I say if you're going to travel, do it when the child can really remember it. That way they're able to actually enjoy it - as are you. If you're just wanting to go somewhere for yourself, then go when the kid is younger (say, before 9 months or so) as they sleep a lot more.

Pretty much. I took long train rides several times when my son was an infant, and it was easy. From 8 months it started becoming difficult, both the travel itself and managing naps and bedtime at a new place.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I imagined as much. I'll have to break it to my husband who has the travel bug worse than me. But we'll probably take a short domestic trip here and there (even if just driving).

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

frenchnewwave posted:

I imagined as much. I'll have to break it to my husband who has the travel bug worse than me. But we'll probably take a short domestic trip here and there (even if just driving).

One of the silver linings on this is that you can experience the hell out of local things. I visit my local swamp park a couple times a week year round, because it is 5 minutes away, and it's not like an 18-month to 5 year old is going to get tired of walking in the exact same woods, or going to the exact same zoo, or the exact same local science or history museum or whatever three times a week till they start kindergarten. If it goes badly for whatever reason, it is not a huge investment ruined, just 'ok, today is not a zoo day, we'll try again another day' rather than 'we loaded up the minivan and drove 3 hours for this petulant bullshit? (and have to drive 3 hours back?) argh!'

And, also, it isn't like an 18 month old is going to have a bad time on a trip every time, it's just that major travel puts the stakes up way high, so if it doesn't work out it is a much bigger deal.

Unfortunately, right about the time you can start really feeling ok about bringing your kids along for serious travel, you need to start buying them their own airline seat. We can swing 2g's for tickets, but 4g's? that is harder, and starts to make car-travel look a lot more attractive.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

frenchnewwave posted:

I agree that if you are traveling for you, do it while they are young. We traveled some in Europe (where we were living) with our daughter when she was 4-5 months old and then moved from Europe to the US when she was 6 months. The transatlantic flight was probably easier at 6 months that in would be now at one year, because of mobility plus tantrums. Also, at that age she was fine sleeping in the ergo or stoller whereas now it's really best if she sleeps in her bed. For the long flight, I had to hold her and dance with her for most of it, but it was doable.

One of the local vacations was to visit friends, the other was work related where my wife kept the baby at the bed and breakfast much of the day. She made little trips out during the day, and it was in for the evening at 7pm. We took as lazy a pace as we could about things, we knew anything could get cancelled anytime. To add to the not fun things: bathing baby in a shower is tough because they get slippery.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
As a counterpoint I've got two friends, one who recently brought his fifteen month old from Panama to the UK via Miami and Amsterdam and the other who took a seven month old to New Zealand from the UK.

Both survived without any trauma, I guess it all depends on how relaxed your kid is.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I traveled frequently with my baby for the first year. I love to travel, my husband hates it, and so I end up doing it solo + baby the majority of the time. We did survive (and enjoy!) the toddler-in-Las Vegas trip in December, by the way. That kid loves Vegas. I'm leaving in a month for another 2 week trip with the kiddo. It's gotten harder because he's awake for more and more of the travel time, and he's an ACTIVE kid. Travel days are exhausting for me because I spend the day trying to keep him quiet and happy, while not inconveniencing other passengers. I think I'd want to kill someone by the end of a transatlantic flight. How about a transatlantic cruise? That would get you to Europe too, and then you'd only have to fly one leg of the trip. Cruising with a toddler could be pretty fun.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
A cruise might be fun. It's hard to tell her temperament now because she's so young, but I have a feeling she's going to be quite active and demanding of attention (based on current behavior). I've never been on a cruise but it seems like having a room constantly accessible might be good.

SavoyMarionette
May 23, 2007
I speak only the truth.
My 11 month old has recently started biting. Mostly hands and fingers, but occasionally as he's cruising along beside the couch, he'll go for his sister's toes. He has tried biting me through my shirt or pants before, those didn't hurt and it sometimes took me a few seconds to realize what he was up to. There isn't really any noticeable cue that he is planning on biting and honestly I'm not entirely sure what to do about it. My mom dealt with my younger sister (3 at the time) by gently biting her back, but that's not something I'm willing to do and it'll probably just get it into my 3 year old's head that biting back is how she should deal with it too. I've tried ending play time when he starts biting but he doesn't seem too bothered by that. I know he is currently teething, he has a 4th tooth on the bottom that should be showing up any day now, so is this new biting habit related to that? Is this something I'll have to wait for him to grow out of, or is there something more I can do?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

SavoyMarionette posted:

My 11 month old has recently started biting. Mostly hands and fingers, but occasionally as he's cruising along beside the couch, he'll go for his sister's toes. He has tried biting me through my shirt or pants before, those didn't hurt and it sometimes took me a few seconds to realize what he was up to. There isn't really any noticeable cue that he is planning on biting and honestly I'm not entirely sure what to do about it. My mom dealt with my younger sister (3 at the time) by gently biting her back, but that's not something I'm willing to do and it'll probably just get it into my 3 year old's head that biting back is how she should deal with it too. I've tried ending play time when he starts biting but he doesn't seem too bothered by that. I know he is currently teething, he has a 4th tooth on the bottom that should be showing up any day now, so is this new biting habit related to that? Is this something I'll have to wait for him to grow out of, or is there something more I can do?

I would just keep doing what you've been doing. My son's never been a biter but he has gone through various hitting phases. I try to keep calm but firm, I say "you can't hit me" or something similar, and put him down or move away from him. It will pass! Also maybe try giving him something to bite on to soothe his gums? Frozen washcloth etc.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

frenchnewwave posted:

A cruise might be fun. It's hard to tell her temperament now because she's so young, but I have a feeling she's going to be quite active and demanding of attention (based on current behavior). I've never been on a cruise but it seems like having a room constantly accessible might be good.
I've been on a cruise and would not want to take a kid younger than about 5 on one. The rooms are tiny, and when you get on board they do a drill where you stand there crammed with other people in a life jacket for like 20 minutes - it was awful. And I would be terrified the whole time of the kid getting loose and falling overboard.

I've flown with my older daughter a few times from about 6 months on, but they were short 1.5 hour flights and either she slept or was entertained by the ipad. And we've only been to visit my in-laws, not a real vacation. I don't think that will happen for a couple years, although my mom actually wants to take a Disney cruise with the kids next year (they will be almost 3 and 5 by then).

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I'd be iffy with a little one on a cruse not only because of the drill and getting lost, but also germs. There have been a few situations where whole boats of people have gotten noro virus or some other "Two Exit, No Waiting" disease. I got swine flu on our cruse to Mexico and back. Even if it's not something terrible, you have all the germs from these different areas where people have come from that the baby isn't used to. I'd wait till the kid was 5 or more for a cruse too, so they're a little sturdier for diseases and such.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.

SavoyMarionette posted:

Was just coming to post this here. I am in the exact same boat with a little girl who turned 11 months today. My husband and I tend to do what we did to train our dog ("ow. no biting. don't bite. you hurt me" and remove ourselves from where she is) but it doesn't always work. At 11 months I think she's just too little for us to try doing much of anything besides that and hope she grows out of it. She has 8 teeth already and it's pretty painful when she does bite. My husband read a website saying you should really play it up that you're hurt and overdramatize it but when we do that she just laughs at us. :confused: I've called her a schadenfreude baby for a long time because when you cry in front of her she thinks it's hilarious.

So I guess just continue to do what you're doing because I don't know if there's anything else to do. :psyduck:

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
Haha! I had read that same thing and both my kids thought it was hysterical when I'd carry on and pretend cry too! We're past all that, but just like a dog we did "No bite" and redirect. Being held? Not anymore you're not. Playing with something? Have a new something. It passed quickly enough and now we have bigger fish to fry. Like not laughing aloud when Tim yells "You can't control my life Mommy!!" He's loving four, for crap's sake! The first time I did bust out laughing and let me tell you, that did not help the situation. Now it's "It's Mommy's job to make rules to keep us all safe and happy. It's your job to follow them. You can have a time out until you remember how to use a nice voice and nice words." And he can holler his fit out in his room all he wants. Listening to him complain to himself about me is pretty funny, but drat! I thought we'd have a few more years until I was literally "ruining" his life. :haw:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

My son is 1 years old, old enough to throw things in the trash can. What's the best trash can with a lid that he won't be able to open and throw my wallet away etc?

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 9, 2013

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

My son is 1 years old, old enough to throw things in the trash can. What's the best trash can with a lid that he won't be able to open and throw my wallet away etc?

You can get one with a locking lid. We have this one and it works great. http://www.amazon.com/simplehuman-40-Liter-Slim-Plastic-Black/dp/B004L9L42O/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_img_y

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Awesome, thank you.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Mr Darcy posted:

Another sleeping question (is there something in the water at the moment?).

My son is 7 months old, is very difficult to get to sleep during the day to the point that only a walk in his pushchair or a car ride will get him down. He gets to sleep okay at bedtime but God help us if he wakes up, which he does 2-3 times every night, as he will not settle and go back to sleep. Using last night as an example:

8pm - asleep
10:30pm - woke up, didn't get settled in his crib until gone 2am. My wife did have him asleep on her lap in the living room for a bit, he'd wake up every time just as she started putting him back into the crib.
4:30am - woke up again. My turn to look after him, after calming him down he spent 40 mins dead to the world on my lap, woke up exactly as I started putting him into his crib.
6am - Mum gave him a feed and he had a sleep on her lap until she managed to get him settled in his crib at 7am. He woke up for good at 8am this morning.

My gut feeling, to mix metaphors, is that we are at the epicentre of a perfect storm. He's teething, we are weaning him, he's a very windy baby at night and he's got a snotty nose. We're rubbing infant bongela into his gums for the teeth, we are trying a new flavour for a few days at a time with weaning - butternut squash at the moment, he loves it! We've been trying to give him tummy rubs for wind, but he mostly doesn't want to know about them - we are planning to try cool boiled water as I think I'd read somewhere that it can help? And finally we are using an infant saline spray for his nose. If he's particularly grumpy then we give him a dose of calpol.

Feeding: ignoring night-time soothing, he's currently fed 4 times a day. At about 8am/9am, midday, 4pm/5pm and bedtime at ~7:30pm. He'll normally feed for about an hour a go, including a sleep. He's getting breastfed straight from the source except at lunchtime where he'll get a dose of milk from one boob then his puree followed by the second boob if he wants it. He's 17lb 11oz at the moment and slap bang in the 50th percentile on the growth chart.

We occasionally give him a dummy to sooth him, but because he's snotty he spits it out. I've heard breathing helps!

Any suggestions/ideas/help much appreciated. My wife has vetoed my idea of a a button that raised perspex sides and roof onto his crib and turns it into a bond villain style knock-out gas chamber...

We've found what seems to be the solution to the above problem of a non-night-sleeping baby. When I wrote this nearly a month ago Alex was (supposed) to be sleeping in his crib next to our bed. About a week ago we moved him to his cot-bed in his own room, suddenly he'll go down to sleep by 8-8:30pm stay there until 6:30am when we start getting him up in preparation for starting nursery next month. If he does wake up at night all it takes is a 5-10 minute cuddle from mummy and he goes back to sleep.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
The other day, after playing in a park with a friend and his 2-year old daughter, I was putting my kids in their carseats when I watched my friend drive off with his daughter in his lap. At first, I figured he was just moving his car and didn't want to bother strapping his kid in her carseat for some reason. Then I watched him turn out of the parking lot driveway into traffic.

This isn't the first time he's driven with her out of her carseat. He told me once, casually, that he let her ride in the "front seat" and she loves it. That was going from one parking lot to another, across a busy street, and I wasn't sure how to respond then. I sure as hell don't know what to do now that I know he's done it at least twice and this time for a much longer trip - about 8 blocks across very busy traffic.

I understand the myriad of ways this is dangerous behavior (airbags, car accidents, etc) but I don't know how to address it with my friend or his wife. He is (clearly) a very cavalier kind of parent, often considered reckless in other parents' eyes, but I've never truly worried for his daughter's safety until now. He's a stay-at-home dad and keeps insisting I can leave my toddler with him if I need some alone time with my newborn, but I was iffy about that before I saw him drive around with his own toddler in the front seat.

Any advice on how to handle this? I don't want to cut them out of our lives or anything, since our toddlers are best friends and love to hang out, but I just worry about just how careless he might get with these kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

VorpalBunny posted:

The other day, after playing in a park with a friend and his 2-year old daughter, I was putting my kids in their carseats when I watched my friend drive off with his daughter in his lap. At first, I figured he was just moving his car and didn't want to bother strapping his kid in her carseat for some reason. Then I watched him turn out of the parking lot driveway into traffic.

This isn't the first time he's driven with her out of her carseat. He told me once, casually, that he let her ride in the "front seat" and she loves it. That was going from one parking lot to another, across a busy street, and I wasn't sure how to respond then. I sure as hell don't know what to do now that I know he's done it at least twice and this time for a much longer trip - about 8 blocks across very busy traffic.

I understand the myriad of ways this is dangerous behavior (airbags, car accidents, etc) but I don't know how to address it with my friend or his wife. He is (clearly) a very cavalier kind of parent, often considered reckless in other parents' eyes, but I've never truly worried for his daughter's safety until now. He's a stay-at-home dad and keeps insisting I can leave my toddler with him if I need some alone time with my newborn, but I was iffy about that before I saw him drive around with his own toddler in the front seat.

Any advice on how to handle this? I don't want to cut them out of our lives or anything, since our toddlers are best friends and love to hang out, but I just worry about just how careless he might get with these kids.

ummm, After a talk with Mrs Darcy it's been explained to me that picking carrot sticks off the floor for little Alex to eat is a bit of a "no no". Our kid is only 7.5 months so not quote at the friends stage, but I'd be tempted to suggest to these folk that you don't feel safe leaving your kid in their responsibility unless they change their ways. Other folk can raise their kids how they want, but the second their methods conflict with yours then that's that...