Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I assume that once you can log in with your NNID on your smart phone and 3DS there will be more connectivity and it wont be as retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Operative posted:

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I believe eShop purchases are already linked to your Nintendo Network account. The issue right now is that the accounts are hard locked to the system. Presumably, that will change given that the setup process gives you the option to log into an existing NN account.
Yeah the games are tied to the account, but the account is tied to the system :downs:. I vaguely remember someone early on returning or sending theirs in for repair and having their purchases available for download on the new one once they signed in, pretty sure they contacted Nintendo at some point in the process though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I assume that once you can log in with your NNID on your smart phone and 3DS there will be more connectivity and it wont be as retarded.

I'd be wary to assume anything regarding "Nintendo", "online" and "common sense".

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wotalt posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_effect

What bloom? There's no bloom shader at all, only nicer shades (or dynamic lighting, but I'm doubtful.)

You mean you can't see any bloom in this shot?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
That's no bloom, Windfall Island just went through a nuclear disaster :colbert:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, anything interesting in the pipeline between now and Rayman?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

So, anything interesting in the pipeline between now and Rayman?

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 is out this week I believe.

So no.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Zen Pinball is out in Europe but I can't seem to find a US release date yet other than "soon", found this review:
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu-eshop/zen_pinball_2
(tl;dr game good, store implementation clunky)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Figured as much, just thought there might be something obvious that I wasn't remembering.

Scribblenauts got a last-minute delay, by the way.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In case anyone really cares about this stuff, apart from me (I like reading about tech stuff, even if I don't understand half of it), Digital Foundry has dug up some new info, and quite a bit of speculation as far as I can see, about the graphical capabilities of the Wii U: Wii U graphics power finally revealed

Digital Foundry posted:

[...]Chipworks' shot is still being analysed, but the core fundamentals are now seemingly beyond doubt. The Wii U GPU core features 320 stream processors married up with 16 texture mapping units and featuring 8 ROPs. After the Wii U's initial reveal at E3 2011, our take on the hardware was more reserved than most. "We reckon it probably has more in common with the Radeon HD 4650/4670 as opposed to anything more exotic," we said at the time. "The 320 stream processors on those chips would have more than enough power to support 360 and PS3 level visuals, especially in a closed-box system."

It was ballpark speculation at the time based on what we had eyeballed at the event, but the final GPU is indeed a close match to the 4650/4670, albeit with a deficit in the number of texture-mapping units and a lower clock speed - 550MHz. AMD's RV770 hardware is well documented so with these numbers we can now, categorically, finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U - the GCN hardware in Durango and Orbis is in a completely different league. However, the 16 TMUs at 550MHz and texture cache improvements found in RV770 do elevate the capabilities of this hardware beyond the Xenos GPU in the Xbox 360 - 1.5 times the raw shader power sounds about right. 1080p resolution is around 2.5x that of 720p, so bearing in mind the inclusion of just eight ROPs, it's highly unlikely that we'll be seeing any complex 3D titles running at 1080p.[...]

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
So from what I gather, it's a little stronger than the 360 and PS3 and has a good load of RAM but much of that is so the system can support the GamePad.

Not surprised. What I find interesting is Durango and Orbis being in, "a completely different league." If this past generation said anything it's that the rising costs of video games are going to pretty much tank the market. It's probably going to be the Orbis/Durango generation that's going to do it. Anyone up for the average game costing $50M and somehow supposed to make their money back at $60 a pop?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Anyone up for the average game costing $50M and somehow supposed to make their money back at $60 a pop?

Make all the game's content DLC, problem solved.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So from what I gather, it's a little stronger than the 360 and PS3 and has a good load of RAM but much of that is so the system can support the GamePad.

Not surprised. What I find interesting is Durango and Orbis being in, "a completely different league." If this past generation said anything it's that the rising costs of video games are going to pretty much tank the market. It's probably going to be the Orbis/Durango generation that's going to do it. Anyone up for the average game costing $50M and somehow supposed to make their money back at $60 a pop?

I think it must be possible to scale back costs and take advantage of new hardware at the same time, hence why The Witcher 2 was successful even when it had "only" a million copies sold while looking two generational leaps ahead of every console game. There's literally two dudes making Reset and it has incredible graphics from what they've shown.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah the expectations advance but so do the graphical tools and ability to somewhat automate things. You have to create much more detailed models and texture than ever before, but the programs to do so are also easier to use and more efficient than ever before. Cost is still outpacing efficiency gains at this point, but it won't forever.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I think it must be possible to scale back costs and take advantage of new hardware at the same time, hence why The Witcher 2 was successful even when it had "only" a million copies sold while looking two generational leaps ahead of every console game. There's literally two dudes making Reset and it has incredible graphics from what they've shown.

If I remember correctly they built their own game engine with chunks of Havok for that while most companies are slaves to what gets designed by Crytek. Probably had a lot to do with it. They also took their time on it, which is another thing.

I'd love to find out how much Nintendo games cost Nintendo because you never hear about that. Games like Zelda get pretty long development cycles and always come out looking great but how much did they cost? Nintendo cuts a lot of corners other companies don't like voice acting and licensed music (well, not exactly cutting a corner when you bring in an orchestra instead) so maybe that's why their costs are lower?

AngryCapterpillar likely has it right and I've feared the same. Games will come to you at $60 but the only way to beat it properly is to spend another $60 on DLC.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

How much of the rising cost of video games is due to economic factors (inflation, etc) over increasing cost of producing games on new more powerful hardware?

E: looks like it was sort of answered.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo games are still running on the same engine aren't they? I think I heard Retro is basically making a new one now, but Pikmin, Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Galaxy, Skyward Sword, all run on the same engine, which is starting to show its age.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
gently caress yes! http://m.kotaku.com/5981657/the-wii-u-controller-now-works-on-pc-games-courtesy-of-this-handy-software

Someone made software so you can use the gamepad with a PC. The next update will include touchscreen support, and he's working on video streaming. This is gonna be so awesome.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

Have to admit I do and hadn't seen that screenshot, the grass is looking rather nuclear too.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Is there any sign thar Nintendo is going to make it so digital purchases aren't tied to a single console?
Right now its the disadvantages of digital with none of the benefits.

There is zero chance I would make digital purchases of games I could hold physical copies for on the Wii U. Just imagine opening up your brand new Wii U 2 five years from now and realizing you've got to pay a new additional fee for each and every game you want to port over. This Virtual Console charge for old Wii games leaves a slightly bitter taste, but its the business philosophy it hints at for further generations that is truly unpalatable.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jet Set Jettison posted:

How much of the rising cost of video games is due to economic factors (inflation, etc) over increasing cost of producing games on new more powerful hardware?

E: looks like it was sort of answered.

When you look at the costs of games today, they actually cost less with inflation.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ChineseConnection posted:

There is zero chance I would make digital purchases of games I could hold physical copies for on the Wii U. Just imagine opening up your brand new Wii U 2 five years from now and realizing you've got to pay a new additional fee for each and every game you want to port over. This Virtual Console charge for old Wii games leaves a slightly bitter taste, but its the business philosophy it hints at for further generations that is truly unpalatable.

Just like Nintendo charged everyone to be able to play all their DSiware games on the 3DS, right? Oh wait, that didn't happen. The Virtual Console charge for the Wii U is to upgrade it to using savestates/button mapping/the gamepad screen, all of which take time and money to implement for each game considering how insistent Nintendo is that VC game play as close as possible to how the originals did. If you don't want to pay the fee, all of your games are sitting there in Wii mode, and you can play them any time you want.

Or alternatively, if you didn't buy the game on the Wii at all, it'll end up costing you the same to buy it at full price on the Wii U.

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 5, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Scribblenauts got a last-minute delay, by the way.

Only in Europe. And they're also recalling all review and promo copies, so I wonder what this is about.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

Only in Europe. And they're also recalling all review and promo copies, so I wonder what this is about.
Does anyone know why it was delayed in Europe the first time? I've played it on Steam under a proxy and I haven't seen any reason for it to be delayed for as long as it has.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Der Shovel posted:

What, they are? I have to call my editor, because that sounds pretty strange. Whatever could cause a total recall must be pretty bad.

Iacen fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 5, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Last night was my first earnest attempt at using the Gamepad in a different room. It worked fine for me! NSMBU in bed. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wotalt posted:

Have to admit I do and hadn't seen that screenshot, the grass is looking rather nuclear too.

(Wind Waker spoiler) Well it IS a post-apocalyptic world :v:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Widdiful posted:

Does anyone know why it was delayed in Europe the first time? I've played it on Steam under a proxy and I haven't seen any reason for it to be delayed for as long as it has.

I'd guess that's the sort of game where translation is a really big deal.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I bougth Sega Allstar racing transformed and holy poo poo is the game fun. I was expecting to be disappointed considering the game was 40 dollars but drat was I wrong. Plays super well on the controller too, although it took me a while to figure out I had to sweep the game to the controller to play on it...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Reoxygenation posted:

I bougth Sega Allstar racing transformed and holy poo poo is the game fun. I was expecting to be disappointed considering the game was 40 dollars but drat was I wrong. Plays super well on the controller too, although it took me a while to figure out I had to sweep the game to the controller to play on it...

It would certainly help if that were anywhere in the manual

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Widdiful posted:

Nope. Last year the creators were asked why the game was being delayed and they said they couldn't say anything about it. It's a proper mystery.

Iacen posted:

Whatever could case a total recall must be pretty bad.

Yeah. Some kind of unintentional copyright violation or something that could be viewed as offensive by someone, perhaps.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Probably something culturally offensive, like when Nintendo had to recall a game for using the word "spastic". Probably some adjective or noun completely innocuous here they noticed at the last minute would get them in trouble there. I mean technically you can do some hosed up stuff in the game.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:
Well, in the german version of the game, if you try to use the word 'after' you get very different results.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sire Oblivion posted:

That doesn't look like bloom, it just looks like that over-saturated high-contrast Dynamic color setting you see on TVs in Best Buys. I think they have some sort of HDR thing going on there.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The increasing cost of art assets is definitely an issue along with all the increased amounts to code (written or licensed). What it comes down to is that game companies have to be increasingly careful about feature creep and flipping designs late in the process. Flipping art and redesigns causing code-overhauls have always been costly but there's a definite higher cost of doing it these days.

There are a lot of reasons "two dudes" can still do quite a bit - they're often hiring freelance artists, so it's not exactly just "two dudes" but there's also less design by committee and fewer personalities causing trouble along the way (oops, design lead left half-way through the project, what do we do). They have more control of their vision and if the game got released, obviously they had the discipline to stick to it. Of course, their design could have been flawed which is why "games by two dudes" aren't usually great. There are definitely different development processes that are mitigating this (notch's whole incremental implementation thing) but the "two dudes" thing really depends on those two dudes being really kickass and having talent or expertise in many areas of software development.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Artix74 posted:

Just like Nintendo charged everyone to be able to play all their DSiware games on the 3DS, right? Oh wait, that didn't happen. The Virtual Console charge for the Wii U is to upgrade it to using savestates/button mapping/the gamepad screen, all of which take time and money to implement for each game considering how insistent Nintendo is that VC game play as close as possible to how the originals did. If you don't want to pay the fee, all of your games are sitting there in Wii mode, and you can play them any time you want.

Or alternatively, if you didn't buy the game on the Wii at all, it'll end up costing you the same to buy it at full price on the Wii U.

It's like people read a Kotaku article or NeoGAF thread (the headline/thread title) and think that all their Wii VC games are going to be locked out or something because there will be a separate Wii U VC. How many times has this come up in this thread, where people complain that they're "forced" to re-purchase their Virtual Console games if they ever want to play them again, yet ignoring that they're completely playable in Wii Mode? Unless they heard through the same Kotaku article/NeoGAF thread that Nintendo is actually going to disable Wii Mode or render your Wii VC inoperable via a patch once those games show up on Wii U VC so they can force you to repurchase games (Source: The Internet).

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

Mercury Crusader posted:

It's like people read a Kotaku article or NeoGAF thread (the headline/thread title) and think that all their Wii VC games are going to be locked out or something because there will be a separate Wii U VC. How many times has this come up in this thread, where people complain that they're "forced" to re-purchase their Virtual Console games if they ever want to play them again, yet ignoring that they're completely playable in Wii Mode? Unless they heard through the same Kotaku article/NeoGAF thread that Nintendo is actually going to disable Wii Mode or render your Wii VC inoperable via a patch once those games show up on Wii U VC so they can force you to repurchase games (Source: The Internet).

I think people (myself included) more have an issue with it being a cold gesture on their part. They clearly already have the account data on hand to credit you with a discount, it seems such a relatively small gesture to use that information to transfer over the purchase, instead of literally nickel-and-diming you a just-tiny-enough-to-be-annoying fee for the convenience of not having to go through a couple of menus.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm okay with it because putting 400 VC titles through QA all over again isn't free.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mr. Podunkian posted:

I think people (myself included) more have an issue with it being a cold gesture on their part. They clearly already have the account data on hand to credit you with a discount, it seems such a relatively small gesture to use that information to transfer over the purchase, instead of literally nickel-and-diming you a just-tiny-enough-to-be-annoying fee for the convenience of not having to go through a couple of menus.

But it's not just the convenience of going through a few menus. Wii VC games don't have savestates, remappable controls, or the ability to play on the pad. These are all features added to the Wii U version of the emulator, and a new emulator doesn't develop itself for free. Would I have appreciated just automatically having it on my Wii U account when they start coming out? Absolutely, but I'm not going to sit here and demand I get every single thing I've ever bought in the past again for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
Isn't the Wii U VC upgrade service functionally similar to the upgrade path for iTunes Plus?

• Locked thread