Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Graham Gremlin posted:

I agree with the people who've said this period would be very difficult to model in a Paradox game though and as much as I'd like to be able to run a game from the Roman Republic through to the end of the Cold War in the Clausewitz engine, I don't see it happening.

I've always been tempted to do 'Gibbon's Fantasy' and just hand wave it and say ooohhh, Christianity never arises, the classical world never 'falls', start with Wiz's mod for Rome and transfer it directly into CKII. So you've got Carthaginians and Celtic Gaul etc. Probably easier after the Old Gods comes out and you have some pagan mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

telcontar posted:

I don't see why, or at least I don't see what makes it more difficult than any of the other time periods Paradox games cover.

I just can't think of a way to model a bunch of Germanic tribes wandering around the map in a way that's easily presented to the player and actually enjoyable to play.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Graham Gremlin posted:

I just can't think of a way to model a bunch of Germanic tribes wandering around the map in a way that's easily presented to the player and actually enjoyable to play.

Play EU3, and use the Always War mod. I think it had 1 month cores, and occupied land transferred in a month as well. Countries would slowly migrate around as they gained/lost land, and it was hilarious.

It's not quite what you want, but it is similar.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
So what I'm getting from this is don't install any mods until I've played vanilla a lot?

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
It's probably best to get some sort of clue what you are doing in vanilla, yes.

telcontar
Dec 8, 2006

Graham Gremlin posted:

It's not as if they galloped around Europe in random chaos. They occupied large contiguous territories for decades or even generations at a stretch, and they migrated in large groups. I mean it took the Vandals, what, 30 years just to go from Gaul to North Africa? And it took them literally hundreds of years before that to migrate from the Vistula to the Roman border.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Graham Gremlin posted:

I was thinking they spawn like the Mongols, as provinceless armies, and then they march around the map raiding provinces for something like Glory and Gold. They could have a different icon from just a soldier, like a little horde or people. They'd basically be migratory pop units. Once they get a certain amount of Gold and Glory they could seize adjacent provinces and become a 'settled' people. Maybe each migratory army unit/horde could seize one province, so the more of them that were killed off while migrating the less land they'd ultimately seize, whereas the more successful they were the more land.

Settled people could still get uprooted and become migrant again, but if you were settled long enough, you'd become 'civilized' like the Byzantines and stuck in place for good.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Graham Gremlin posted:

Have tribes have heavily limited populations, that grow veeery slowly. Have the amount of land you can control tied to your population. As you get harassed from one direction it makes sense to move away from it, abandoning old territory and settling new.

edit: losing battles lowers you population.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

NihilCredo posted:

I also heard good things about Terra Nova, and it's updated for 5.2 beta (though that will be the last version apparently) but I haven't tried it myself. I'd suggest you check that out.

Oh my, Terra Nova. I can never unbound that name from this gem of a thread on the paradox forums.

Basically the guy who made that mod actually believes that dragons were literally true existing beings and that dinosaurs survived to recent times (think Nessie). He thought it best, of course, to add these in the mod. His justification to sceptics? Even if the creatures did not exist, people thought they did, so they might as well have! Now that is a logic I could maybe get behind to a degree, but then you have things like going on a dragon hunt which gives army tradition, and stuff like that:

quote:

basicly, right now in 12.98, there is a very rare chance of sea monster encounter events for sea going nations.

behemoth events are still rare but are much more common for nations that had historical sightings, encounters or myths of dinosaurs or dragons.

once a nation gets a behemoth encounter/myth event, then they will eventualy get the dragon quest event where they get to decide how the nation will proceed with this information. Natins can try to hunt dinosaurs/dragons, ignore them, worship them, or try to tame them. the 3 choices other than ignore all give permanent bonuses.

regardless of if you feel that living dragons/dnosaurs were true in the time period or just myth, it still plausibly aplies to the game and I will tell you why.

hunting dragons, even if they are not found, will still increase military training, tactics and exercises, thus, military tradition gain is plausible.

worshiping dragons, regardless of if they are real of myth, will still cause the nations religion to adopt them as a icon and perhaps make elaborate costumes and thus the religious culture would be more united.

taming dragons, even if its a myth, could stil raise the nations prestige if they are able to convince other nations that they have captivated dragons.

code:
dragon_tame = {
	prestige = 0.01
	icon = 3
}

dragon_hunt = {
	army_tradition = 0.01
	icon = 7
}

dragon_worship = {
	tolerance_heathen = -1 
	tolerance_heretic = -1
	tolerance_own = 1
	icon = 9
}

He also later thought for some reason that it would be best to split the dragon_worship modifier for christians and non christians giving the latter a halved effect, producing gems like dragon_worshipchristian. :psyboom:

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

telcontar posted:

It's not as if they galloped around Europe in random chaos. They occupied large contiguous territories for decades or even generations at a stretch, and they migrated in large groups. I mean it took the Vandals, what, 30 years just to go from Gaul to North Africa? And it took them literally hundreds of years before that to migrate from the Vistula to the Roman border.

How would you handle breaking up of tribes? Some of the Slavs move south, a bunch of Magyars gets in between them and the rest of the family up north, and a century later they're a separate culture.

E: Bonus points if you rename ones White/Red/Black/etc

Cowcatcher fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 4, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

YF-23 posted:

Dragons and seamonsters!
Yeah, his thought process is all kinds of special. I can follow the logic of including stuff that people believed in, as beliefs, but then translating them into being real is just. :psyduck: That said, a DLC that allowed dynamic sea level height and changing provinces to simulate The Biblical Flood part 2: Revenge of God would be a great idea!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, his thought process is all kinds of special. I can follow the logic of including stuff that people believed in, as beliefs, but then translating them into being real is just. :psyduck: That said, a DLC that allowed dynamic sea level height and changing provinces to simulate The Biblical Flood part 2: Revenge of God would be a great idea!

To be fair, CK2: God is Pissed would be a hilarious DLC and having biblical floods, 10 plagues of Egypt, people killing thousands of soldiers with a donkey's jawbone, etc. would be loving :black101: as hell. I mean, granted this guy seems to have some issues but I'll be damned if I see someone say a biblical events DLC wouldn't be a cool idea :colbert::hf::catholic:.

E: :downs: Wait you are also saying it's cool. My bad, disregard :downs:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

DrProsek posted:

To be fair, CK2: God is Pissed would be a hilarious DLC and having biblical floods, 10 plagues of Egypt, people killing thousands of soldiers with a donkey's jawbone, etc. would be loving :black101: as hell. I mean, granted this guy seems to have some issues but I'll be damned if I see someone say a biblical events DLC wouldn't be a cool idea :colbert::hf::catholic:.

E: :downs: Wait you are also saying it's cool. My bad, disregard :downs:

Yeah, but it would really suck to have your capital occupied in a week because the enemy army marched around its walls seven times on the seventh day.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Graham Gremlin posted:

If we're making barbarian migration book recommendations, I'd feel remiss if I didn't give a shout out to my old professor Guy Halsall's Barbarian Migrations. He challenges a lot of Heather's ideas and has a more engaging writing style than Heather so it's worth a read if you've read Heather. A little on the pricey side but he is the (self-professed) most significant historian of early medieval Europe under the age of 60 anywhere in the world.

Paradox threads are at their best when they serve as a book club. :)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Yeah, but it would really suck to have your capital occupied in a week because the enemy army marched around its walls seven times on the seventh day.
Look, if you don't bother the Ethiopians, the Ethiopians won't bother you. :colbert:

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a Paradox chatroom/IRC where I can ask a million small questions about CK2 without spamming this thread?

irc.synirc.net #paradox

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Woops! I am a terrible poster and my phone thought this was the ck2 thread.

To add content, though: thanks for all of the book ideas! I have been looking for more things to read regarding the dark ages, and this thread has been an amazing resource this far

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009
PM me if you want a EU3 Chronicles code.

Taken

NextSundayA.D. fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 5, 2013

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jon Joe posted:

So what I'm getting from this is don't install any mods until I've played vanilla a lot?

Not really. Miscmods is vanilla but better, though Miscmods Extended is somewhat different. EU3+ is different from EU3 like CK2+ is from CK2 in a lot of ways, as you might expect from Wiz mods, but the changes are pretty extensive and I would not recommend it until you have a thorough understanding of vanilla/Miscmods.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
How come the EvW forums are more "ALT. HISTORY TEE HEE" then actual cold war?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

NextSundayA.D. posted:

PM me if you want a EU3 Chronicles code.

Same here, I already own it and I've got a code I can give away.

A dude got it.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 5, 2013

Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Same here, I already own it and I've got a code I can give away.

If you still have this, I'd like it, but don't have PMs. My email is rixaxun AT gmail.com.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Rixaxun posted:

If you still have this, I'd like it, but don't have PMs. My email is xxg0ku@angelfire.com.

Already gave it away, sorry, should have edited my post more quickly.

Anyone else have one they could give this dude?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Top Hats Monthly posted:

How come the EvW forums are more "ALT. HISTORY TEE HEE" then actual cold war?

Define "ALT. HISTORY TEE HEE". Are we talking Byzantium fetishism and Tito apologists or just people eager to try and fight the Cold War in a different way?

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Rixaxun posted:

If you still have this, I'd like it, but don't have PMs. My email is rixaxun AT gmail.com.

I just sent you mine. Have fun!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I love how sometimes the pdox forums just screw up. :allears:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
^^^ I'm getting library wallpaper flashbacks, this time, with all the books' spines being covered in Pdox logos.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

YF-23 posted:

I love how sometimes the pdox forums just screw up. :allears:

Maybe this is just Universo Virtual taking over the Paradox forums? Paradox did after all hand over their rights to them.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Cowcatcher posted:

How would you handle breaking up of tribes? Some of the Slavs move south, a bunch of Magyars gets in between them and the rest of the family up north, and a century later they're a separate culture.

E: Bonus points if you rename ones White/Red/Black/etc

You could make it so you need directly continous territory to maintain your vassals. If someone splits your land in half then one chuck will be broken off and form its own new nation/culture.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Rudi Starnberg posted:

You could make it so you need directly continous territory to maintain your vassals. If someone splits your land in half then one chuck will be broken off and form its own new nation/culture.

That makes zero sense at all and would not represent how migrating people split and formed together.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Recently finished my first playthrough of Vic 2:AHD and it's a lot better than what I remembered. Played as Austria and got some real good Great Wars going, especially the last one when me and France, along with my puppets, took on Spain and Russia. The highlight was the everlasting battle between 1.1k russian brigades versus 800 austrians. It kept on going for years until I finally brokered a peace deal with Spain, forcing them to disarm and destroy half of their fleet worth 4000 military points. I can' wait for Heart of Darkness so I can try to be a colonial empire this time around.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Kavak posted:

Define "ALT. HISTORY TEE HEE". Are we talking Byzantium fetishism and Tito apologists or just people eager to try and fight the Cold War in a different way?

Well, I know for a fact that an acquaintance of mine is helping to write an overly detailed "Nazis won WWII" scenario...

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Any codes left? - I used to play EU2 quite a bit, and would love to try out EU3.

Edit: That was fast, thanks Star!

Pingui fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 5, 2013

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Pingui posted:

Any codes left? - I used to play EU2 quite a bit, and would love to try out EU3.

Check your PMs

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Bought CKII and Vicky II from the Amazon link someone posted earlier, does anyone have a spare EU3 code? I need to be able to complete my Catalunyan megacampaign :byodood:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kavak posted:

Yeah I would rather have the alt-hist "If Sino-Soviet split never happened..." discussions than the sort of wet eyed nostalgic navel gazing I've seen racist embittered old cold war warriors engage in like...

"Aw man, did you see all the ways using these slide rules and protractors I've calculating how many Chinese would die if we went nuclear on them? *sniffles*" :qq:

Choose your poison wisely; our cold war history thread in TFR seems pretty cool though, none of the same vibes.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Raenir Salazar posted:

our cold war history thread in TFR seems pretty cool though

How's the zombie apocalypse thread?

Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009

Golden_Zucchini posted:

I just sent you mine. Have fun!

This doesn't seem to have shown up, could you try resending it please?

edit: Got it this time, thanks a lot.

Rixaxun fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 5, 2013

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nine of Eight posted:

Well, I know for a fact that an acquaintance of mine is helping to write an overly detailed "Nazis won WWII" scenario...

Sounds bog standard for alt history stuff. What kind of details are we talking about, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The Fatherland one by chance?

• Locked thread