Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

I would never buy another video game again if this turned out good. It'd be like the incredible threequel/franchise finale Mass Effect and AssCreed shoulda had.

At the end of the game, Geralt confronts the Wild Hunt - the culmination of his journey, all his questions come to bare. The King of the Hunt steps forward "Now choose, Geralt of Rivia!" It presents Geralt three gems: One blue, one Green, one Red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Jimbot posted:

At the end of the game, Geralt confronts the Wild Hunt - the culmination of his journey, all his questions come to bare. The King of the Hunt steps forward "Now choose, Geralt of Rivia!" It presents Geralt three gems: One blue, one Green, one Red.

You mean it presents Geralt 3 sorceresses, one blue, one green and one red.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Accumulate 5000 mutagen points by the end of the game for the secret "All of the above" ending.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Open world Witcher 3, huh? How exciting!

I was wondering about the viability of an open world game after seeing the demo of CD Projekt's level designer, which could easily and quickly create large, detailed areas. I'm also really excited about the sword combat getting an overhaul. Good stuff all around, I'll be following this thread with interest.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

quote:

> Enemies do not scale to your level
> One boss: Ice Giant

The entire list itself is literally the best video game of 2013, and it's just a list. :stare:

Rime fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 5, 2013

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Spite posted:

You mean it presents Geralt 3 sorceresses, one blue, one green and one red.

If you go by the fiction, this is entirely plausible. :psyduck:

Not sure how I feel about the idea of a open world witcher. 1 and 2 were great because every chapter had a new set piece, allowing both the writing and graphical work to shine in distinct ways. CD Projekt hasn't hosed up yet, but this may be a real albatross.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I played until the second area (the city) in the witcher 1: normal edition then gave up because it wasn't grabbing me. I now have witcher 1: ee and witcher 2. I don't have lots of time to play games these days. Should I just skip to #2?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

1 is well worth playing, it just happens to have a lot more filler in it and a really terrible area. It's fun playing around with the different styles, I thought the potion system in the first game was better than the second's and I think the soundtrack is also better. That said, you wouldn't be really missing anything except a kick-rear end piece of armor, a good low-level silver sword and have the witcher tree already maxed out.

Just don't play them back to back. I did that and I absolutely hated the combat in the second game (and took longer getting used to it). When I played The Witcher 2 recently I friggan loved the combat.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
I'm a bad person for wanting a multiplayer component? :ohdear:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The Witcher 1 and 2 are 50% off! That's $5 for Witcher 1 and $10 for Witcher 2! On GoG and Steam! Holy moley! Buy it on Steam and redeem that poo poo for free on GoG.

So, naturally as people have been discussing, Witcher 3 has been announced. I want to give money now

There was also a short newsletter regarding REDengine 3.

The REDkit beta's still trucking along, still no word on when it'll see public release, beta or otherwise. I hope it's soon, Witcher 2 is desperately lacking in troll-related quests.

redreader posted:

I played until the second area (the city) in the witcher 1: normal edition then gave up because it wasn't grabbing me. I now have witcher 1: ee and witcher 2. I don't have lots of time to play games these days. Should I just skip to #2?

If you can stomach it, power through Witcher 1 on easy. The story doesn't really get good until Act 3, and Act 4 and 5 are loving roller coasters. If it still doesn't grab you, don't stress, just go ahead and play 2.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 5, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

redreader posted:

The way I did it was play Witcher 2, and then sometime later played the first game as a prequel. That's a fine way to do it, in my opinion.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

The Witcher 1's hole of boring is the swamp and if you know that going in I think it'll be easier to get through. The swamp is really awkwardly paced and designed and can leave you really confused. When you get to the swamp the game slows down and it picks up right after you get finished with it.

I love The Witcher 1 but that part is something I always tell people asking about it. You can play 2 if you get stuck again, though. There's a similar amnesia thing going on so they'll have enough exposition to keep you from getting lost. If you really get into The Witcher 2 and want more Witcher then you can play 1 after because it doesn't really give away much of the plot from The Witcher 1 in 2.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Witcher 1 is a must play for people that loving love CRPGs going all the way back to 1997 and don't mind a lot of their original flaws. Witcher 2 is a must play for people that like RPGs of any kind.

Aurubin posted:

If you go by the fiction, this is entirely plausible. :psyduck:

If Geralt sleeps with the Blue Sorceress, the Wild Hunt will search for the ideal children to become perfect Witchers to resist the coming ice age, but Dandelion will die. If he sleeps with the Red Sorceress, then Yennefer's sterility will be cured upon the Wild Hunt's death, but Dandelion will die. Finally, if Geralt sleeps with the Green Sorceress, then everyone in the world will become a fertile witcher, but awaken the next day to find that they each inexplicably have a single memory of sleeping with Dandelion. And Dandelion will die.

EDIT

Jimbot posted:

and have the witcher tree already maxed out.

That's supposed to be like that on an imported save from Witcher 1? Whenever I've done it I've had aerondight, and Raven's armor, but not any free talents.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Badly Translated Polish Guy posted:

“You don’t run – in the Witcher 2 you were running constantly. You walk, but your attacks are very fast. Your opponents also walk but they have charges and things like that.”

Seems an odd choice for an open world game, interested to see what this means.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

A good thing to keep in mind when playing through the swamp in the first Witcher, Geralt runs faster when his sword is out in fast or group style.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Aurubin posted:

Seems an odd choice for an open world game, interested to see what this means.

It might be referring to long distance travel to keep it feeling kind of believable. Get a horse or walk and you can start running again when you get in combat? That sounds like the type of thing that they'd need to tweak constantly to keep it from getting annoying but I like the idea.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

redreader posted:

2 is a better game by a wide margin. Smoother controls, far more engaging and skilled combat, refined skill trees, and better pacing. The only downside is a punishing prologue where you fight some of the toughest human enemies in the game with no abilities! But don't worry, that will get you set for the second most punishing part of the game :v:

You can play 1 after 2 if you want more backstory and would like to import a character for a second playthrough, but importing between games gives really minor, and totally missable, changes.

Skip to 2

In regards to the Witcher 3 they're boasting 100 hours of hand scripted questing in their open world so it definitely sounds more New Vegas than Skyrim.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There's no way this game is out this year...right?

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Dreylad posted:

There's no way this game is out this year...right?

I think I read they're planning for 2014 so there's a decent chance it'll end up being 2015.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Cirofren posted:

In regards to the Witcher 3 they're boasting 100 hours of hand scripted questing in their open world so it definitely sounds more New Vegas than Skyrim.

I hope the alleged ease of scripting means we'll see a bit more impact from importing our saves. It didn't bother me much between Witcher 1 and Witcher 2, but Witcher 2 had some pretty significant seeming choices, not all of which could easily have their repercussions isolated to the immediate aftermath.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

The Sharmat posted:

I hope the alleged ease of scripting means we'll see a bit more impact from importing our saves. It didn't bother me much between Witcher 1 and Witcher 2, but Witcher 2 had some pretty significant seeming choices, not all of which could easily have their repercussions isolated to the immediate aftermath.

As long as it carries over the most important choice I'll be happy.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If that choice inexplicably locks you into a specific end game path I will die a happy man.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

The Sharmat posted:

Accumulate 5000 mutagen points by the end of the game for the secret "All of the above" ending.
...all three sex cards as an easter egg? :v:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

The Sharmat posted:

I don't know. If we're spending most of the time running around Nilfgaard, the exact state of Temeria, Kaedwen and Vergen may not matter that much. And Roche/Iorveth are probably not going to go south with you.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The stuff posted above indicates that at least a goodly portion of the game isn't in Nilfaard, and Novigrad is in Redaynia, I believe? So it should at least matter somewhat what happened to Temeria given how intimately Radovid can be involved in that situation. The main thing i care about though is the status of Saskia, Philippa, Sila, and whatever is left of the Lodge of Sorceresses

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lycus posted:

I don't know. If we're spending most of the time running around Nilfgaard, the exact state of Temeria, Kaedwen and Vergen may not matter that much. And Roche/Iorveth are probably not going to go south with you.

"political situation and Nilfgaardian invasion is resolved through the core plotline of the major areas (Skellige, Novigrad, No Man’s Land)"

Skellige and Novigrad are part of the North albeit in the East while Vergen was in the West and No Man's Land probably refers to soem area along the border where fighting is going on. So a good chunk of the game will in fact be in the North still Im certain that part of the game will be in Nilfgaard.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd imagine No Man's Land is either a new front opened along Temeria or Aedirn that have fallen due to the power vacuum, or refers to the old line near where Cintra and the Yaruga river are.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

The Sharmat posted:

I'd imagine No Man's Land is either a new front opened along Temeria or Aedirn that have fallen due to the power vacuum, or refers to the old line near where Cintra and the Yaruga river are.

Cintra would certainly make sense, given all the poo poo that went down there in the last five years.

edit:

Epic shepherd simulator 2014, GOTC:

more here:

http://meissner61.imgur.com/all

Leb fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 6, 2013

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

I want circumstances to conspire that allow me to take out the Emperor of Nilfgaard somehow. I think that would be really great.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Leb posted:

Epic shepherd simulator 2014, GOTC:

So how many bestiality jokes can we expect in that general area you think?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is it me, or do all the screenshots look EXACTLY like Witcher 2? Not that that's a bad thing! At least I know i'll be able to run the game. I am so stoked about this. And judging by Bethesda's release s schedule, we could potentially have Fallout 4 in our hands around the same time! :fap:

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Is it me, or do all the screenshots look EXACTLY like Witcher 2? Not that that's a bad thing! At least I know i'll be able to run the game. I am so stoked about this. And judging by Bethesda's release s schedule, we could potentially have Fallout 4 in our hands around the same time! :fap:

This is a rough build of the engine and they have yet to add texture or dynamic lighting, it's going to get better (or so they say). Still I'd be more than happy with a Skyrim sized game with Witcher 2 quality graphics.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

chaosapiant posted:

It's still really early in development, so they're probably using placeholder assets and the game/engine still has a way to go. Those screenshots are probably from a 720p feed and are saved as jpegs, so no doubt there's a big loss in quality from that alone.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

So how many bestiality jokes can we expect in that general area you think?

Let me tell you a story of the Shepherd, my sweet~

Alright, I'll stop with the Mass Effect 3 ridicule. Though I do hope they make a jab at them at some point. I mean, these are the same guys who made two separate videos that made fun of the hilariously bad Dragon Age 2 marketing after all.

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010
Yeah, at this point it's very early in development and still probably running on TW2's engine. This would be a good time to bring up this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIcRbtENDPw of TW2 alpha footage which still uses TW1's combat system! Complete with hilarious placeholder voice acting. TW2 has come a long way since that video.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Let me tell you a story of the Shepherd, my sweet~

Alright, I'll stop with the Mass Effect 3 ridicule. Though I do hope they make a jab at them at some point. I mean, these are the same guys who made two separate videos that made fun of the hilariously bad Dragon Age 2 marketing after all.

I am still waiting on The Bard: Savior of Queens expansion for the Witcher 2 :colbert:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think there's any one of us that wouldn't play that.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Are they ever going to mention Shani again? I spent a lot of time wooing her and left Alvin with her in the first game but she never gets mentioned in 2.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Robert Analog posted:

Are they ever going to mention Shani again? I spent a lot of time wooing her and left Alvin with her in the first game but she never gets mentioned in 2.

Well you were the idiot that left a highly dangerous child mage in the care of some clueless nurse No wonder he went crazy

Actually she does get a journal entry in 2 if you import a save, basically the relationship didnt work out.

The Sharmat posted:

I don't think there's any one of us that wouldn't play that.

I would pay full price and enjoy the hell out of those 2 hours of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Was it possible to get the tattoo removed? I got suggestions from Triss and Sile, but no quest to do it. If there is a way I'm glad I didnt do it because its hilarious

• Locked thread