Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

smackfu posted:

Wonder if it is possible in iOS to let you select text, then hit the ... button on the post and Quote, and only have it use the selected text in the quote.

Great idea! Definitely possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

EC posted:

Tapping with two fingers will select an entire paragraph of text. I was pretty blown away by that when I first learned it.

Wow! I can genuinely see that bring really useful. Thanks, EC.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

EC posted:

Tapping with two fingers will select an entire paragraph of text. I was pretty blown away by that when I first learned it.
Well holy poo poo.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

EC posted:

Holy. poo poo. This changes everything. It's...it's beautiful

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
For some reason the latest page if the Indie Rock Megathread allows for horizontal scrolling. I've checked the page and can't seem to find a culprit. Weird bug?

Edit: Also multiple image uploads never work for me. I have to edit the post and add in additional images.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Classing up my forums with jailbreak fonts :coal:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Chuck Bartowski posted:

For some reason the latest page if the Indie Rock Megathread allows for horizontal scrolling. I've checked the page and can't seem to find a culprit. Weird bug?

Good find. It's the Vimeo embeds, which I just learned don't work in the app! I'll see about replacing it with a proper embed or, failing that, a link.

quote:

Edit: Also multiple image uploads never work for me. I have to edit the post and add in additional images.

Yeah I really need to get around to fixing that. Keep it coming, more I hear it the faster I fix it.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

EC posted:

This blew my mind.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

EC posted:

Is this iPads only?

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

withak posted:

Does this person get email in their hut? Or do they have to hike down the the village to communicate?

Leave my iPad 1 out of this :(

I'm not replacing it till it breaks.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

theadder posted:

Is this iPads only?

Nope. iPhone 4 here and I didn't know this either.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I think the reason some people aren't seeing it is because it only works when editing text. So in Awful, you can use it to select a paragraph while writing a post, but not while reading a post.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ahhhh okay. Yeah I was confused why I couldn't get it to work.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Awful is crashing whenever I try to load a page where someone I have on ignore has posted.

Here is the trace
code:

Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x00000000, 0x00000000
Crashed Thread:  6

Thread 6 name:  Dispatch queue: com.awfulapp.Awful.parsing
Thread 6 Crashed:
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib        	0x35d2c32c 0x35d1b000 + 70444
1   libsystem_c.dylib             	0x32878208 0x3282b000 + 315912
2   libsystem_c.dylib             	0x32871298 0x3282b000 + 287384
3   libc++abi.dylib               	0x3582ef64 0x35828000 + 28516
4   libc++abi.dylib               	0x3582c346 0x35828000 + 17222
5   libobjc.A.dylib               	0x3781d350 0x37814000 + 37712
6   libc++abi.dylib               	0x3582c3be 0x35828000 + 17342
7   libc++abi.dylib               	0x3582c44a 0x35828000 + 17482
8   libc++abi.dylib               	0x3582d798 0x35828000 + 22424
9   libobjc.A.dylib               	0x3781d290 0x37814000 + 37520
10  CoreFoundation                	0x35476782 0x353bd000 + 759682
11  CoreFoundation                	0x354767a4 0x353bd000 + 759716
12  Foundation                    	0x34ff83ec 0x34ef5000 + 1061868
13  Foundation                    	0x34ff8c54 0x34ef5000 + 1064020
14  Awful                         	0x000dd8e0 0xa5000 + 231648
15  Awful                         	0x000d9724 0xa5000 + 214820
16  Awful                         	0x000de4e2 0xa5000 + 234722
17  Awful                         	0x000d9724 0xa5000 + 214820
18  Awful                         	0x000ddd5e 0xa5000 + 232798
19  Awful                         	0x000bb57a 0xa5000 + 91514
20  libdispatch.dylib             	0x34303c52 0x34303000 + 3154
21  libdispatch.dylib             	0x34305d08 0x34303000 + 11528
22  libdispatch.dylib             	0x34305b6e 0x34303000 + 11118
23  libdispatch.dylib             	0x343067e0 0x34303000 + 14304
24  libsystem_c.dylib             	0x32833df4 0x3282b000 + 36340
25  libsystem_c.dylib             	0x32833cc8 0x3282b000 + 36040

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

Awful is crashing whenever I try to load a page where someone I have on ignore has posted.

This is fixed in the next update, which is waiting for review from Apple.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

This is fixed in the next update, which is waiting for review from Apple.

They're done with it!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

pokeyman posted:

If any devs read this, VoiceOver is awesome. Your app is broken if it don't work with VoiceOver.

How do you live with the phone like that? Its cool but for general phone usage goddamn is it annoying.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

They're done with it!

oooo. Any idea when it'll drop? Not seeing anything atm.
Never mind. Forums back to normal!

101 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 6, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

How do you live with the phone like that? Its cool but for general phone usage goddamn is it annoying.

I have it set to turn on or off when I triple-tap the home button. Then you stop looking at the screen, or triple-three-finger tap to pull the curtain. Here's a good intro.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

pokeyman posted:

I have it set to turn on or off when I triple-tap the home button. Then you stop looking at the screen, or triple-three-finger tap to pull the curtain. Here's a good intro.

Awesome! But, bug report time. I enabled it and it got stuck on the Back button. I couldn't turn it off and while the phone wasn't frozen it was frozen within the app. I could bring up the apps list with a double tap but the rectangle was stuck in the location of the back button. I tried locking it but then I couldn't unlock for the same reason. Eventually I had to do a hard reset as I couldn't slide to shutdown.

After the restart its working fine though. My phone reads posts to me! :allears:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I've had that happen to me once or twice. I'm not sure if it's an Awful thing or a VoiceOver thing, so I'm really not sure what to do with it.

I'm glad to hear it's not just me though!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Apologies if this is a known bug, but on an ipad 2, ios 5.1 (I think), my forum list on the left occasionally just vanishes. When I hit the bookmark/forum list button, a blank sheet whooshes out. I can still scroll up and down on the page I'm on, but I can't get to any other threads or forums.

I can fix it by killing the Awful app in the task bar, but it happens two or three times a day.

In case it's relevant, my wifi is a bit ropey and drops out from time to time, but I don't think it's tied to the Awful app crapping out in any noticeable way.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Apologies if this is a known bug, but on an ipad 2, ios 5.1 (I think), my forum list on the left occasionally just vanishes. When I hit the bookmark/forum list button, a blank sheet whooshes out. I can still scroll up and down on the page I'm on, but I can't get to any other threads or forums.

I can fix it by killing the Awful app in the task bar, but it happens two or three times a day.

In case it's relevant, my wifi is a bit ropey and drops out from time to time, but I don't think it's tied to the Awful app crapping out in any noticeable way.

I think I fixed a bug or two there in the latest version. The update should be available anytime now, if it isn't already.

What version of Awful are you using? You can find the version on the Settings tab.

And you can double-check your iOS version by going to the Settings app, then the General section, then in About look for "Version". Can you check that out too?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pokeyman posted:

I think I fixed a bug or two there in the latest version. The update should be available anytime now, if it isn't already.

What version of Awful are you using? You can find the version on the Settings tab.

And you can double-check your iOS version by going to the Settings app, then the General section, then in About look for "Version". Can you check that out too?

Thanks! At work right now, I'll do it in five hours or so when I'm back home.

I downloaded the app right after the forums changed and broke the old version - I've looked a couple of times but haven't seen an update. I'll let you know if the update fixes it and edit in the information you're wanting.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Got an idea I wouldn't mind seeing in Awful, but I also wanted to stop in and show my appreciation for the hard work put into making this app!

It would be cool if there was an option to make the sidebar toggable along with the other options available already. If you picture the Facebook app for a second, you can pull the main window to the right and the left sidebar appears, but in Awful it would stay there until you went to swipe it away. The reading area would scrunch up as if the sidebar was set to permanent.

I know you can just change the setting and rotate, but this idea came about when browsing my bookmarked threads. It's nice to have the sidebar there when I'm quickly checking a bunch of threads with only a few replies, but then I have threads with hundreds of pages unread that I get sucked into and I want more screen real estate while reading those.

Just throwing that out there!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I tried quite hard to make it so the sidebar setting took immediate effect. If it did, I think that'd be an alright solution to your problem. It's definitely something I want to work.

If I ever figure how how to make that happen, it'll happen!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Posting this from the new version that just got posted and hey, my bookmarks no longer disappear!

Hooray! Seriously, amazing app.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Today i've been getting every now and then error message when i try to load a next page on any forum or thread

The error message is:

NSURLErrorDomain error -999. (Error code -999)

Sometimes the app works perfectly.. I've tried restarting,relogging...

Any help? :)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pokeyman posted:

I tried quite hard to make it so the sidebar setting took immediate effect. If it did, I think that'd be an alright solution to your problem. It's definitely something I want to work.

If I ever figure how how to make that happen, it'll happen!

Seems fine now, so fingers crossed that fixed it. I'll let you know if it recurs!

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Occasionally I end up in a thread that isn't the one I selected, but i have bookmarked. Earlier, for instance, i definitely clicked on the YOSPOS pictures thread, but I ended up in the cat thread instead. Then later, same thread, but I ended up in the Blackberry thread. I'm 100% sure I selected the pictures thread both times.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

TheCool69 posted:

Today i've been getting every now and then error message when i try to load a next page on any forum or thread

The error message is:

Same here

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

TheCool69 posted:

The error message is:

This happens to me when I slide to reveal the sidebar in portrait then immediately close it. It always happens. Ipad 4th gen, ios 6.1.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Occasionally I end up in a thread that isn't the one I selected, but i have bookmarked. Earlier, for instance, i definitely clicked on the YOSPOS pictures thread, but I ended up in the cat thread instead. Then later, same thread, but I ended up in the Blackberry thread. I'm 100% sure I selected the pictures thread both times.

Thought it was just me and I was going crazy. Also been getting the null error.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
I don't think I ever said thank you for bringing the Awful browser back, so a million times thank you for that. Seriously.

Oddly enough though, thanks a ton for having other browser options available as well. After jailbreaking again I've gone back to Safari as default, but still at times prefer to manage links with Atomic because of its integration with various other apps. Wouldn't have predicted that would be the case.

Are smilies something that could be turned into an iOS keyboard? Like additional languages or emoji?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Me, too. Usually during transitions between pages or on the sidebar.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

iTouch 4g, latest firmware, jailbroken. That error pops up occasionally for me as well but everything seems to work just fine. The error appears but whatever I was doing works as normal.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

My bad on the error -999, it means the network operation was cancelled. When a list of threads/bookmarks/etc. disappears, Awful cancels any refreshing that hasn't completed yet, and I forgot to catch the error.

You can safely ignore it!

e: plural

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 8, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

What versions of Awful and iOS? Were you clicking on the thread from bookmarks, from the YOSPOS list, or somewhere else?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Funkmaster General posted:

iTouch 4g, latest firmware, jailbroken. That error pops up occasionally for me as well but everything seems to work just fine. The error appears but whatever I was doing works as normal.
It's easy to replicate: drag down to load a new page of threads then tap to open any currently listed thread before the new page loads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I've had this happen when the list of bookmarked threads updates while I am scrolling it. What I end up clicking on is not what I intended to click on, it just changed mid-click.

I'd love to be able to toggle off the auto-update of threads in the bookmark list. Please let me pull to refresh instead.

• Locked thread