Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok gently caress it, I'm restarting my Hard game. I think I picked the wrong asset/flaw. I'm going to give +SPD/-HP a shot. I'm tired of getting double rounded by equal level pegasus knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lotish posted:

If there's one thing that bothers me about this game it's that Galeforce is not only clearly broken, but they put it on a flying (and magic) class, which are already powerful simply by virtue of flying (and moreso because magic in this game sounds really powerful). That just makes the one class absolutely nuts. Of course maybe there's flaws to actually sticking in the class that I don't know about, but it just seems overwhelming.

Is there an Iote's/Fili/Delphi Shield to remove a flier's vulnerability to arrows?

Not outside of DLC. Galeforce is really good, but fliers are not only weak to arrows, they're also weak to wind magic (really common), and anti-cavalry weapons. Arrows are actually really common too, Warrior and Assassins pretty much all come with Bows, on top of the normal bow classes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

And anti-cavalry? So the fact that they're still mounted like all the cavs has finally been noticed by the devs, eh? Ha!

I shouldn't laugh because I'll be needing to use them too, but I like that there are some stronger incentives to use foot units without effective weapon weaknesses.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 6, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Why is Olivia even a marriage option for Chrom?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Serious Frolicking posted:

Why is Sully?

Because reasons.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Because having Inigo as Lucina's sibling & member of the royal line is hilarious?

But from a gameplay perspective, it's probably a "last chance" option if every other option gets married/killed and you don't want Lucina's father to be a random villager.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why is Sully?

Because reasons.

Well with Sully (and Maribelle) they have the excuse of knowing each other since they were children.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
No, meaning that Olivia is added on the last map before Chrom gets auto-married. The only way for them to get married is via a weird abuse of the mechanics.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Do enemy characters recruited on hard mode get bonus stats like they did in FE7?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

No, meaning that Olivia is added on the last map before Chrom gets auto-married. The only way for them to get married is via a weird abuse of the mechanics.

Yeah. Like I said, she's a last chance if you hosed up and don't want the worst case scenario to happen.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sure I'll find out soon enough but are there special support conversations in the event of grandchildren?

[Edit: looks like Morgan can only have support conversations with her parent and other children. Oh well.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 6, 2013

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Lotish posted:

And anti-cavalry? So the fact that they're still mounted like all the cavs has finally been noticed by the devs, eh? Ha!

I shouldn't laugh because I'll be needing to use them too, but I like that there are some stronger incentives to use foot units without effective weapon weaknesses.
Yeah, it caught me off-guard when Chrom one-shot a Pegasus Knight and then I saw the green number and was all "oh, cool!"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Just spawned an Anna with a Second Seal. Oh gosh who to use it on? My Unit's based around strength, with res as a dump stat, so what would be a good path for him or any other character to take while I find Master Seals?

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Just spawned an Anna with a Second Seal. Oh gosh who to use it on? My Unit's based around strength, with res as a dump stat, so what would be a good path for him or any other character to take while I find Master Seals?

Should I be buying these seals every time I see them? I've seen both a Master and Second seal so far. How do you get more money in this? I'm at the point after chapter 4/5 where a bunch of stuff just opens up with no explanation so I am a bit lost.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oh My God, Frederick and Lissa just got together and it is so freaking :3:. That is the best couple, hands down.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Devoyniche posted:

Should I be buying these seals every time I see them? I've seen both a Master and Second seal so far. How do you get more money in this? I'm at the point after chapter 4/5 where a bunch of stuff just opens up with no explanation so I am a bit lost.

You get money from Bullions, which some bosses/enemies drop, and can be found in some chests. You eventually get the ability to buy them from regular stores, so I wouldn't worry. If you want one before regular stores have them, there's almost always one Anna with one (or one will appear shortly.)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ChaosArgate posted:

Do enemy characters recruited on hard mode get bonus stats like they did in FE7?

It's based on how late they join, not whether they start as an enemy. Lategame joiners in luantic get absurd bonuses like +7 to all stats (and are still only ok, not great). This is presumably to prevent a situation like in FE12 where outside of normal mode nobody who joins after Merric is remotely usable.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does Hard mode assume you'll be resetting for perfect level ups all the time? Cause otherwise I might have to restart my entire game on Normal instead. :mad:

How do I recruit the thief guy in Chapter 6?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

It begins! :getin:

We need a :sully:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Pollyanna posted:

Does Hard mode assume you'll be resetting for perfect level ups all the time? Cause otherwise I might have to restart my entire game on Normal instead. :mad:

With Crom, bait the thief with a weaponless character to get in range.

Also, Hard Mode in the beginning is just abusing pair-ups until you get some Seals.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Talk to him with Chrom. This is generally the answer to every recruitment question in this game.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Thanks for the tips on the game and mission 5 earlier! Was able to finish it with no losses, finally, thanks to the Rescue staff and leveling up with a random encounter.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
My local Gamestop in Ohio got the game in today. :toot: It was open to pre-orders only though, I think.

I was going to call them every day until they got it too. This saves me from possibly really annoying the employees as soon as they open! :downs:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

He moves towards you. Just stay out of his range and he'll move into yours, for an easy recruitment.

Hard mode is definitely doable with normal unmanipulated levelups, but it's not designed for a new player in the series (no idea if you are or not). It's about as difficult as the non-bullshit parts of the hardest difficulty of FE7, for comparison.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
It's really evil how (Chapter 11) that one fort is just inside Gangrel's Levin Sword range. I haven't tried hanging back by the bridges and bleeding the map dry, but good lord is this chapter an rear end in a top hat on Lunatic.

I haven't really bothered with villages or chests since you can just grind out and buy whatever you need. I'm not sure if this is a mistake or not.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Just beat my first playthrough on hard. I made Morgan a sorcerer, and she was a god-drat wrecking ball. She didn't even need Nosferatu, considering she ended the game at 39 defense.

Also, I'm curious, who were everybody's top three in kills? Somehow, Ricken took the top spot for me, followed by Vaike and my Avatar.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So Henry is the best character in the game. Just saying. I love terrible jokes/puns and lust for blood. Not only that, but he comes equipped with the best dark magic spell in the game (Ruin). So I turned him into a Barbarian to get him Gamble, then back into a Dark Mage and into Sorcerer. Trained up Olivia into an Assassin, supported her and Henry, and now when they pair up Henry's chance at critting with Ruin is 90%. :getin:

I just did that with him completely on the fly. I can't wait to see what horrible monster I make once I beat the game and start planning out marriages and builds and whatnot. Please tell me you can buy more Ruin tomes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

So Henry is the best character in the game. Just saying. I love terrible jokes/puns and lust for blood. Not only that, but he comes equipped with the best dark magic spell in the game (Ruin). So I turned him into a Barbarian to get him Gamble, then back into a Dark Mage and into Sorcerer. Trained up Olivia into an Assassin, supported her and Henry, and now when they pair up Henry's chance at critting with Ruin is 90%. :getin:

I just did that with him completely on the fly. I can't wait to see what horrible monster I make once I beat the game and start planning out marriages and builds and whatnot. Please tell me you can buy more Ruin tomes.

Yes, you can. Not for a while though.

Also my biggest disappointment was the my team was too solidified to fit Henry in when he joined. He's the best.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Just beat my first playthrough on hard. I made Morgan a sorcerer, and she was a god-drat wrecking ball. She didn't even need Nosferatu, considering she ended the game at 39 defense.

Also, I'm curious, who were everybody's top three in kills? Somehow, Ricken took the top spot for me, followed by Vaike and my Avatar.

I gave my Morgan the boots, lucky sevens from Anna, and just made her a Dark Knight. 64 base avoid and 11 move with the +1 skill. :getin:

poo poo haha Anna's support gives +1 move so make that 12.

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 6, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

My top three were Selvera (who became death, destroyer of worlds), Morgan and Nah. I don't get how anyone can hate Severa because she obliterates planets on a regular basis for me. Just behind Nah was Donny who hit max in everything but magic but the time I was done, and missed magic by a hair.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Severa is a terrible person and treats her dad like poo poo (but then again, her dad is Kellum so maybe I'm biased).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Severa was my daughter and she's just the worst (except in battle, where she was stronger then the Vaike). Don't marry Cordelia, nothing good happens down that path.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Severa is the best. :allears:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Alright, right now I'm just grinding for the kids to appear and Owain is basically if Domon Kasshu was a Power Ranger.

edit: Okay, more like Domon on steroids and the Crank guy telling this guy to calm down.

Tae fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 6, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Actually maybe I should check on this:

CAN Manaketes trigger things like Luna, Sol, and Ignis when they're hulking the gently caress out with their dragonstone? Because that's more or less what I'm going for with Morgan.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Edoraz posted:

It begins! :getin:

We need a :sully:

I'm starting to get annoyed with everyone saying she's sub-par just because she doesn't get Galeforce. You're still badass, Sully :3:

Tae posted:

Alright, right now I'm just grinding for the kids to appear and Owain is basically if Domon Kasshu was a Power Ranger.

edit: Okay, more like Domon on steroids and the Crank guy telling this guy to calm down.

See, THIS is why grinding Lissa sounds so horrible to me. It means you have to wait that much longer to see the greatness that is Owain.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain Oblivious posted:

Actually maybe I should check on this:

CAN Manaketes trigger things like Luna, Sol, and Ignis when they're hulking the gently caress out with their dragonstone? Because that's more or less what I'm going for with Morgan.

Yes.

On the subject of children being great, I want to like Owain, but I just can't bring myself to not cringe every time I hear that "can't...control..." voice clip.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cake Attack posted:

Severa was my daughter and she's just the worst (except in battle, where she was stronger then the Vaike). Don't marry Cordelia, nothing good happens down that path.

I was actually gonna have Cordelia end up with Vaike because let's face it, both of them are just gonna talk about Chrom the whole time anyway.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

404GoonNotFound posted:

I'm starting to get annoyed with everyone saying she's sub-par just because she doesn't get Galeforce. You're still badass, Sully :3:

My Sully sucks, she rolled nothing but like terrible stats :(

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm super excited for my second playthrough, I didn't pair any units I wasn't using, so I still haven't met some of the kids. Apparently I missed out on the cool ones, because I still haven't met Owain.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Armthrift works with Tomes, right? Because I'm thinking Mercenary -> Dark Mage for my Avatar.

• Locked thread