Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

The Bunk posted:

I had the same reaction to The Bean. What Olde Hickory do I need to try? I'm assuming I missed the boat on Event Horizon for this year, and the only ones I've had besides Bean were Black Raven (liked) and Piedmont Pilsner (wouldn't buy again).

i haven't had a fresh Event Horizon, so maybe that's the only way to judge it, but i've recently had 2010 and 2011 and was a bit let down. they were perfectly fine BA stouts, but nothing i would wait in line for and certainly nowhere close to cracking my personal top ten- i mean, i feel like i took advantage of someone by trading a 2011 for one 12oz Black Note. i liked the imperial stout (the one with honey) much more, honestly, but the three or four other beers i've had from them were... eh. people seem to like them a lot, though, so it might just be me. Got an Olde Rabbit's Foot in the fridge, maybe that'll bring me around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Manky posted:

Wait, really? The Wegmans on 422 had their big display of it set up two weeks ago.

And it was on shelves a week or so before that. I picked some up but I am enjoying the hopslam more this year.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Astronaut Jones posted:

And it was on shelves a week or so before that. I picked some up but I am enjoying the hopslam more this year.

Unfortunately that Wegmans run two weeks ago was the last time I bought beer, and when I asked, nobody there knew when they would get Hopslam in. I've gotta find some fast.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
The Wegmans in state college apparently ran out of Hopslam so fast that not even the employees who work at the store were able to get any. Oh well, I remember liking NN more than Hopslam anyways.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

The Bunk posted:

I had the same reaction to The Bean. What Olde Hickory do I need to try? I'm assuming I missed the boat on Event Horizon for this year, and the only ones I've had besides Bean were Black Raven (liked) and Piedmont Pilsner (wouldn't buy again).

Death by Hops if you like hops. Like funky said, their Imperial Stout is really drat good too. I also like their Irish Walker barelywine and their Weizenbock. Seven Devils, their BA Scotch Ale might still be available right now, depending on where you are.

Funky, I was under the impression that Event Horizon was just their Imperial Stout, barrel-aged. I know the front of EH says Stout Brewed with Honey, at least.

I would put anything made with that stout in my personal Great tier (Event Horizon, Lindley Park, Imperial Stout). It's sort of like Yeti, and I hope they do more versions with it like Great Divide does with Yeti.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
Hopslam isn't a onetime release, is it? Last year it was released over and over again. I remember it was difficult to find in the beginning, but near the end their were pyramids of it in my local store.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Retemnav posted:

Funky, I was under the impression that Event Horizon was just their Imperial Stout, barrel-aged. I know the front of EH says Stout Brewed with Honey, at least.

might be the case, and that might also support what i said about drinking them quickly, because the imperial stout i had was pretty fresh. hopefully i'll get to drink a delicious 2012 in the near future and retract my testimony.

Cointelprofessional posted:

Hopslam isn't a onetime release, is it? Last year it was released over and over again. I remember it was difficult to find in the beginning, but near the end their were pyramids of it in my local store.

VA received (at least) two shipments last year, the second of which was available for a bit longer than the first.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hopslam is the Great Lakes Christmas Ale of IPAs. I'm absolutely certain it's their #1 money-making beer, and likely one of the biggest sellers in the entire region for the time it's available.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

ShaneB posted:

Hopslam is the Great Lakes Christmas Ale of IPAs. I'm absolutely certain it's their #1 money-making beer, and likely one of the biggest sellers in the entire region for the time it's available.

Might have something to do with it costing $23 a sixer here. :)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Astronaut Jones posted:

They can charge whatever they want for it, is what I'm saying.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Midorka posted:

Jersey seems to be slow to get things sometimes. The one I got was bottled 1/23/13, so two weeks ago. I'm not sure how long it's been in the warehouse but the distributor just released it this week.

Like he said, our distributor in NJ for Troegs didn't get NN out till this week despite it being released in PA two weeks back. I don't consider NN in the same realm of 'drink ultra fresh or it's poo poo' as other hoppy beers though, it's solid.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Astronaut Jones posted:

Hopslam is good, it is not $23 a 6-pack good. Jesus christ.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Manky posted:

Wait, really? The Wegmans on 422 had their big display of it set up two weeks ago.

I can tell you that the Wegmans in Mechanicsburg has plenty of NN.

Aratoeldar fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 5, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did you know that you have been drinking your IPA from the wrong glass all of this time?

http://www.dogfish.com/community/news/press-releases/dogfish-head-sierra-nevada-debut-new-standard-for-ipa-glassware.htm

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

withak posted:

Did you know that you have been drinking your IPA from the wrong glass all of this time?

http://www.dogfish.com/community/news/press-releases/dogfish-head-sierra-nevada-debut-new-standard-for-ipa-glassware.htm

I'll keep using my Sam Adams Sensory glasses for everything besides belgians and imperial stouts thank you very much :colbert:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

As much as I love Spiegelau, that looks ridiculous.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How do thinner walls maintain beer temperature longer? Wouldn't heavier walls better attenuate heat transfer into the beer?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

withak posted:

Does it come with a paper bag so I can hide how ridiculous it looks from family and friends? Because what I mean by that is I'd rather appear like I'm a homeless person chugging Mad Dog 20 20 than go this route with my fine light ales.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

When I went on the Bell's tour, the tour guide said that somewhere around 60% of all beer they sell is Oberon. Not sure what the margin is on Hopslam though...

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

withak posted:

As an obsessive glassware collector I'll be getting one of those. I'm not a huge Dogfish fan but from what I can tell the design is sound.

withak posted:

How do thinner walls maintain beer temperature longer? Wouldn't heavier walls better attenuate heat transfer into the beer?

Except for this part. I agree with you. Lots of people seem to think that a room temperature glass will really warm up a beer when you pour it in, which is probably what they are referring to. Last time I thought about the heat transfer math I came to the conclusion that that was BS and the beer has way way more thermal mass and specific heat capacity anyway.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

crazyfish posted:

When I went on the Bell's tour, the tour guide said that somewhere around 60% of all beer they sell is Oberon. Not sure what the margin is on Hopslam though...

I'd wager the margin is higher on Hopslam, but yeah, between those two beers I bet they generate enough seasonal profit to float a lot of new brewery investments.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

I'd wager the margin is higher on Hopslam, but yeah, between those two beers I bet they generate enough seasonal profit to float a lot of new brewery investments.

Oberon has got to be their biggest money maker. Their marketing and word of mouth is so good that I know plenty of normally BMC drinkers that will buy some up around release time and in the summer. Also remember that it's sold year-round in Arizona and Florida.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
I wonder how frequently Calagione says he taking things to the next level

RiggenBlaque posted:

The Wegmans in state college apparently ran out of Hopslam so fast that not even the employees who work at the store were able to get any. Oh well, I remember liking NN more than Hopslam anyways.

If you're in the State College area I'd start following the Hopshop on facebook and twitter, they usually get larger quantities of the rarer stuff than Wegmans and you can at least get a heads-up when they release it. I know I saw a facebook post showing off all their Nugget Nectar, and they mentioned that they were posting to twitter when Hopslam got there.

Although I also walked into that Wegmans one day and grabbed their last 4 pack of KBS, but that was some extreme luck

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Glottis posted:

Except for this part. I agree with you. Lots of people seem to think that a room temperature glass will really warm up a beer when you pour it in, which is probably what they are referring to. Last time I thought about the heat transfer math I came to the conclusion that that was BS and the beer has way way more thermal mass and specific heat capacity anyway.

I'd almost consider faster warming of the beer a feature. When I pull a beer out of the fridge I usually have to let it sit around for 5-10 minutes before it's at a good serving temperature. And the kind of beer you're going to be nursing for long enough that "glass width" has a significant impact is something like an imperial stout that works best on the warmer side anyway.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Docjowles posted:

I'd almost consider faster warming of the beer a feature. When I pull a beer out of the fridge I usually have to let it sit around for 5-10 minutes before it's at a good serving temperature. And the kind of beer you're going to be nursing for long enough that "glass width" has a significant impact is something like an imperial stout that works best on the warmer side anyway.

This is one of the best rationales for a special beer fridge, in my opinion. I keep mine at like 42-43F and can just begin chuggin'. But, you know, I have a special little fridge full of beer. :/

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I'm going to a 'Lotto Breakfast' at my local store this Saturday. If your number is drawn you get to buy a sixer of Hopslam or a bottle of Foothills Sexual Chocolate. I've never had either, so I'd be OK getting whichever. They're supposed to have both on tap as well, so maybe I'll figure out which one goes better with a Bojangles biscuit and get the other one for later.

Edit: The other store in the city ran out of Hopslam in 32 minutes.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

dumptruckzzz posted:

I wonder how frequently Calagione says he taking things to the next level

If you're in the State College area I'd start following the Hopshop on facebook and twitter, they usually get larger quantities of the rarer stuff than Wegmans and you can at least get a heads-up when they release it. I know I saw a facebook post showing off all their Nugget Nectar, and they mentioned that they were posting to twitter when Hopslam got there.

Although I also walked into that Wegmans one day and grabbed their last 4 pack of KBS, but that was some extreme luck

I'm just visiting this weekend and was hoping the person who lives there was going to be able to grab some for me before I visited. Looks like the Hopshop got some in around this time yesterday, I doubt it's still there.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

The Bunk posted:

I'm going to a 'Lotto Breakfast' at my local store this Saturday. If your number is drawn you get to buy a sixer of Hopslam or a bottle of Foothills Sexual Chocolate. I've never had either, so I'd be OK getting whichever. They're supposed to have both on tap as well, so maybe I'll figure out which one goes better with a Bojangles biscuit and get the other one for later.

Edit: The other store in the city ran out of Hopslam in 32 minutes.

Have them make a Black & Tan with them aka the Sex Slam. Surprisingly good! (Don't really do this if you've never had them before, but it's become a "thing" in Winston, cause they both come out at nearly the same time.)

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

withak posted:

This is awesome. I've always wanted to feel like I'm drinking out of a butt plug.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Noni posted:

This is awesome. I've always wanted to feel like I'm drinking out of a butt plug.

Or you can just hollow out a buttplug?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Went to a beer dinner featuring Bell's a couple years ago and the Bell's rep there said that they were in the process of expanding pretty much because of Two Hearted, which was- at the time- their fastest growing product. Now that's a rep, who are often not the best source, but I found that kind of interesting. 60% sounds like a lot for Oberon...

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

:whatup:

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 5, 2013

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

3F just sold out of Barrel Aged Behemoth with cherries. At $40 a bottle. By 4pm. On a workday.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

3F just sold out of Barrel Aged Behemoth with cherries. At $40 a bottle. By 4pm. On a workday.

We need to get elementary school teachers to start regulating production of these releases.

"Now now, Three Floyds, if you didn't make enough for the class I'm afraid you'll have to put the Behemoth away."

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The Brew Kettle near Cleveland is having their Ogrefest next week which is basically an all-high-ABV tap takeover for the week. My friend and I are going. Here's the tap list:

http://thebrewkettle.com/ogrefest/PrintOgreFestList2013.pdf

Victory at Sea, Brown Shugga, and Backwoods Bastard all in one place are worth the 1 hr trip for me!

Also: special shout out to funkybottoms, I got his half of our trade today....enjoying a Wake-n-Bake for the first time. Excellent.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Mahoning posted:

The Brew Kettle near Cleveland is having their Ogrefest next week which is basically an all-high-ABV tap takeover for the week. My friend and I are going. Here's the tap list:

http://thebrewkettle.com/ogrefest/PrintOgreFestList2013.pdf

Victory at Sea, Brown Shugga, and Backwoods Bastard all in one place are worth the 1 hr trip for me!

:cheers:

I'm going! There's no way in hell I'm going to miss out on 2010 Expedition... I had it at TBK before, and it is one of the best beers I've ever had. I bought a case of Expedition this year, just so I can age it for two+ years. I'd also really like to try Kuhnhenn's DRIPA, I missed out on it the last time they had it on tap.

I'd also really, really like to try Jackhammer. I've heard that it's absolutely amazing, but I never seem to find it on tap up there.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
The first and only Expedition Stout I've ever had was on tap, it was an 07 and I just wasn't too fond of it. Maybe it was past it's prime.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

danbanana posted:

Went to a beer dinner featuring Bell's a couple years ago and the Bell's rep there said that they were in the process of expanding pretty much because of Two Hearted, which was- at the time- their fastest growing product. Now that's a rep, who are often not the best source, but I found that kind of interesting. 60% sounds like a lot for Oberon...

I've heard from both the brewmaster and cellar manager that Oberon and Two Hearted are their two biggest sellers. I also really enjoyed brewemaster John Mallet's comment on Hoplsam. Something to the effect of "We make 4000 barrels a year, it flies off the shelves at 20 dollars a six pack and it smells like your cat ate your weed and pissed on the Christmas Tree."

According to Bell's it's gone from the home market (Kalamazoo) for the year. It's a bummer, but I believe the Two day old may have been the freshest commercial beer I've tried, period.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Midorka posted:

The first and only Expedition Stout I've ever had was on tap, it was an 07 and I just wasn't too fond of it. Maybe it was past it's prime.

I know of people who have opened 15+ year bottles of Expy and it was still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I know of people who have opened 15+ year bottles of Expy and it was still good.

Perhaps I just don't like it then. I remember it having lots of fig notes and I can't say that's something I enjoy in my stouts. It's weird because I love it in a barleywine.

I'm drinking Sixpoint's 3Beans and holy cow this is like a shot of espresso, a bit astringent even with some alcohol on the finish. I'm saving the other three to see how they settle down, perhaps. We'll see.

Edit: Brought the 3Beans into the shower to experience a shower beer, it's all that I've been led to believe and more. I will be doing this more often.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 6, 2013