Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Faerunner posted:

Pittsburgh, PA

That's a bit of a haul from Albany. Soz m8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

Re: 1997 Outback Legacy 2.5l 5spd

Finally got to drive the (free) legacy today for awhile, and while the engine runs well and the transmission slots right into gear, there is considerable shudder. Unless I burn up the clutch trying to ease into every shift, the car oscillates front to back on just about every shift if the shift is even the slightest bit rough, like every single mount between the engine and transmission are made of bedsprings. Bad mounts then, yeah? I'd like to think it's not me, as I've driven standard vehicles for years without this issue.

Yeah, must be bad mounts or something, because the car jiggles forward/backwards even when trolling around in 1st or 2nd gear without me even letting off the gas, like when slowly rolling up a sidewalk cut to a parking spot or donking around side streets.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah the motor mounts do eventually go bad. Mine were trashed when I got the car, but a friend had just taken the stock mounts of his new STi to put in cuscos so I threw them in. Motor mounts are pretty much the same for every Subaru ever.

The control arm conical boss thing for the ball joints is 20216FA000

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Geirskogul posted:

Yeah, must be bad mounts or something, because the car jiggles forward/backwards even when trolling around in 1st or 2nd gear without me even letting off the gas, like when slowly rolling up a sidewalk cut to a parking spot or donking around side streets.

Could be the trailing arm bushings too, mine were bad and the drivetrain slack was incredible.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

So, my father is giving me his 2002 WRX Wagon that he is replacing with a new car. He is insisting that I pay nothing for it since he has had a few problems recently with radiator hoses and the car leaving him stranded. Other issues I know of is that it needs a new clutch, and the check engine light came on a little while ago, was diagnosed as a bad catalytic converter, and then went away without it being replaced.

My questions are, is there a good aftermarket clutch alternative I should be looking into? I have a friend who is a mechanic so I'll get no hassles about whatever part I want to put in and I get the labor at a discount. I'm not looking for a high performance type option either. Just something that will perform like the OEM clutch but perhaps more durable.

I read the OP here and see the checklist of typical things to have gone over and I will definitely have those looked at. Anything else specific to WRX's from that era I should be concerned with?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

toadee posted:

So, my father is giving me his 2002 WRX Wagon that he is replacing with a new car. He is insisting that I pay nothing for it since he has had a few problems recently with radiator hoses and the car leaving him stranded. Other issues I know of is that it needs a new clutch, and the check engine light came on a little while ago, was diagnosed as a bad catalytic converter, and then went away without it being replaced.

My questions are, is there a good aftermarket clutch alternative I should be looking into? I have a friend who is a mechanic so I'll get no hassles about whatever part I want to put in and I get the labor at a discount. I'm not looking for a high performance type option either. Just something that will perform like the OEM clutch but perhaps more durable.

I read the OP here and see the checklist of typical things to have gone over and I will definitely have those looked at. Anything else specific to WRX's from that era I should be concerned with?

For clutches either go OEM exedy or exedy stage 1. Jamal may have better recommendations so do whatever he says.

OEM Clutch: http://www.exedyusa.com/oe/KSB03
Stage 1 Organic: http://www.exedyusa.com/15802

As for maintenance items, switch to an sti catless up pipe if you get a chance. Enjoy the car for what it is, do some rallycross with it!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Replace the up pipe with a catless one now. Yesterday.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Sorry if this is a dumb question/concern, but, is replacing it with a catless one going to cause issues with emissions testing?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

toadee posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question/concern, but, is replacing it with a catless one going to cause issues with emissions testing?

No, but it will prevent that cat from disintegrating and grenading your turbo.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Amandyke posted:

No, but it will prevent that cat from disintegrating and grenading your turbo.

Sounds like a plan then, thanks!

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

toadee posted:

2002 WRX crew (I'm guessing you live near me too from your avatar). If your dad has records I would double check the maintenance records and get it back on track. Biggest problems I would say are the uppipe, radiator, and wheel bearings. If your struts haven't been replaced, maybe you can look into that.

E: Also refrain from hard launches and power shifting. 2002 and 2003 5-speeds don't do well with that, future ones don't get much better.

Neptr fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 5, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

There may also be some service due on the car. If you have records for it that would be helpful, but basically it's just fluids for the first 100k and then the timing stuff.

For an up-pipe you can find a used one from a later wrx or an sti (they all fit the same but the 02-05 wrx, and some turbo Foresters and Legacys got cats), or go with aftermarket. I get the invidia ones for pretty cheap (it's something like 150).

And then for the clutch it depends if you plan to upgrade stuff and want to make more power. A slightly stronger clutch means you don't have to worry about it if you go to a bigger turbo at some point.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

jamal posted:

Thermostat for sure. Use an OEM one.

The oil pump is fine and if the seals aren't leaking don't touch them. Getting the cam gears off is a huge hassle anyway.

You could replace the pickup but it's not really a "while you're at it" type thing.

If you have a stock radiator that wouldn't be a bad thing to replace since it's getting drained and coming out anyway.
Probably not going to do the radiator now, but what do you recommend for if/when I do it? I'm currently at stock power but may get a downpipe/tune at some point.

Also, anyone know of a cheaper and/or closer-to-the-west-coast store than fred beans that sells 30k/60k tune-up parts/fluids (either bundled or not)

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Splinter posted:

Probably not going to do the radiator now, but what do you recommend for if/when I do it? I'm currently at stock power but may get a downpipe/tune at some point.

Also, anyone know of a cheaper and/or closer-to-the-west-coast store than fred beans that sells 30k/60k tune-up parts/fluids (either bundled or not)

I've got an OEM replacement radiator and have had no problems with it. Considering how my OEM lasted 10 years and 110,000 miles I'm just fine with a replacement lasting that long as well. Couldn't justify the price of an all aluminum one on a street car.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
07 WRX wagoneer checking in; curious if my plan for the car (to eventually get it near the same power as my old STi) is solid or needs revision... The car's only current modification is a set of cobb sport springs. It's been an interesting winter with the snow we got, but I haven't gotten stuck yet!

I'm looking at getting a catless DP for the stock TD04 - http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=146, to be specific, and a custom tune from a reputable shop in my area.

The turbo is original and the car has 88,000 miles on it.

Does this seem like a good starting point, or are there other things to consider?

I appreciate any advice.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Subaru genuine parts is in WA state. Just send them an e-mail.

For radiators I'm partial to Koyo (they're about 350). Mishimoto is cheaper but for some reason they don't make them for an 05-09 Legacy.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I've got a Mishimoto in my N/A wagon. The radiator cap shipped with it is garbage and the pressure is rated way higher than need be.

It works great and is much thicker than the OEM unit, to the point my little N/A 2.5L has had trouble keeping the temperature needle at full warm on REALLY cold :canada: days.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

YarPirate posted:

07 WRX wagoneer checking in; curious if my plan for the car (to eventually get it near the same power as my old STi) is solid or needs revision... The car's only current modification is a set of cobb sport springs. It's been an interesting winter with the snow we got, but I haven't gotten stuck yet!

I'm looking at getting a catless DP for the stock TD04 - http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=146, to be specific, and a custom tune from a reputable shop in my area.

The turbo is original and the car has 88,000 miles on it.

Does this seem like a good starting point, or are there other things to consider?

I appreciate any advice.

That's definitely the standard path for a wrx. $500 is a little pricey for a catless downpipe although I can get you one of those for less.

You could do an intake with it. Some people on the internet say they are worthless but that hasn't been my experience. And then after that you're at the turbo, intercooler, injectors stage.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 5, 2013

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

That's definitely the standard path for a wrx. $500 is a little pricey for a catless downpipe although I can get you one of those for less.

You could do an intake with it. Some people on the internet say they are worthless but that hasn't been my experience. And then after that you're at the turbo, intercooler, injectors stage.

My buddy with an 06 wrx is running an 18g and making 300whp on the stock intake. FWIW

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Just because you can make x whp on the stock intake doesn't mean the car won't make more with an aftermarket piece. If he did it would probably make 310-315. Harman Motive did a really nice dyno test of a bunch of intakes years ago proving that they work, but the site doesn't exist anymore. I wish I'd saved everything back when it was up.

What they did was take a stock car, set a baseline, install all the different intakes and untuned dyno pulls, then put the stock intake back on, tuned it, then put all the intakes on and did the same thing, and then did tunes for all the intakes. So some (specifically the injen) made the car run dangerously lean without tuning, but they all gained power. I think the AEM was like a 17whp difference.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 5, 2013

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
What injector size is the stock fuel pump good till? One of the reasons I haven't done it yet is because I didn't really want to go through that much trouble. I have an 05 2l wrx.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Somewhere around 550-600cc is all you want on the stock pump. The fuel pump is really easy to change though and a walbro is cheap.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So does anyone sell new up pipes for a 2004 WRX? Mine is pretty much all original at 86K and I keep hearing how I need to get rid of the stock up pipe. Only mods are new tires and Cobb AP Stage 1.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yep.

To change the up-pipe you need to pull the downpipe, so at the very least you want to get a couple of new gaskets, and it's also a good time to change the downpipe. Since you have an AP you'd just need to change the map for it all to work which is nice.

I've always had pretty good luck with invidia parts, but there are like a dozen other options. Perrin, HKS, Greddy, GTspec, Grimmspeed, etc. They're all like 140-200.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.
While waiting for my 13 STi to arrive, I've been doing a ton of research, but I'm still kind of stumped by the whole ring land issue. Is this still a problem? Some people are claiming that the incidents have died down a lot since the 08 model. Others argue back and forth about aftermarket tuning. Really, the only thing I have planned for this car (down the line) is an access port, Cobb cai, and up/down pipe. Are these things that exacerbate any engine problems? Is the stock tune to blame?

Sorry, I just trust y'all's opinions more than the kids on nasioc.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Just wanted to day "never rebuild a N/A 2.5"

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

daslog posted:

Why not?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439775&pagenumber=12#post412263256

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

daslog posted:

Nah, nah. Don't rebuild a '99 transitional N/A 2.5

This is why I got a brand new shortblock :v

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

c355n4 posted:

Nah, nah. Don't rebuild a '99 transitional N/A 2.5

This is why I got a brand new shortblock :v

Isn't a 2L WRX swap probably cheaper anyway?

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Ugh, my headers won't fit on my STi without changing the oil pan. Guess I'm oil pan shopping now. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

Isn't a 2L WRX swap probably cheaper anyway?

If your wiring time is worthless, sure!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Well, it is!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Which Bearings should I get for my Crank with the 48MM Rod bearing journal?

ACL
Clevite
DNJ

Clevites seem to be the lowest price, ACL the highest

daslog fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 6, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Roman Rambo posted:

Ugh, my headers won't fit on my STi without changing the oil pan. Guess I'm oil pan shopping now. :(

Huh? The sti is the one that has all the extra clearance for twin-scroll cars. I don't think one exists that would allow better header fitment. What pan and what headers do you have?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've been casually doing research on WRX swaps, is the engine wiring really integrated into the rest of the body harness? I'm used to BMWs where wiring for an engine swap basically consists of looking up pinouts for the engine harness and body harness then connecting the right ones.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Crustashio posted:

I've been casually doing research on WRX swaps, is the engine wiring really integrated into the rest of the body harness? I'm used to BMWs where wiring for an engine swap basically consists of looking up pinouts for the engine harness and body harness then connecting the right ones.

There are some shops that will sell you a merge wiring harness.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

I've been casually doing research on WRX swaps, is the engine wiring really integrated into the rest of the body harness?
Yes - I believe this is also the case for Nissan, which explains where Subaru got it. I hear it may be slightly easier with the new canbus (08+) cars but I don't have any experience with that.

Indeed there are some online shops that will do a merged wiring harness if you tell them what car you are going from/to. Usually that job costs between $800-1000 whenever I've priced it out, though that might end up being much cheaper than doing wiring for a few hours:

For a good practical example check out the wiring images at: http://www.powerlabs.org/jdmsubaru.htm

There are some wiring swaps that are quite easy; a friend's USDM EJ205 to JDM EJ207 swap required a very small (3 wires, IIRC) wiring harness to add AVCS variable valve timing.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 7, 2013

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
How difficult is to swap a 2.0 twin scrolll jdm engine to an 07' USDM STI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piss boner
May 17, 2003

99 Forester, ~180k miles for $2k

With all those service records, I couldn't say no to it. Pick up is Monday.