Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks re: pasta! I also forgot to ask something else. What's the best cheese and bread for a grilled cheese sandwich? I saw somewhere on GWS that a combination of provlone+cheddar on sourdough works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

M42 posted:

Thanks re: pasta! I also forgot to ask something else. What's the best cheese and bread for a grilled cheese sandwich? I saw somewhere on GWS that a combination of provlone+cheddar on sourdough works pretty well.

whatever you think tastes good? I mean, there isn't like some scientific numerical answer about cheese types for optimal sandwhiches. Just make a tasty sandwhich. If you're worried about it melting and stuff theres some things you can do, like grating your cheese instead of using slices and cooking it properly, but ultimately its all about taste preferences.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I actually don't eat cheese very often, so I don't really know poo poo about tastes etc. :shobon:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I am definitely a fan of fancy artisanal cheeses, but when I make a grilled cheese I almost always use Kraft American slices. I think it's because my dad used to make them for me like that, so there's a sentimental aspect to it.

If I were going to go a little higher end, though, I'd say something like a brie or a Camembert would be good, because they melt nice and smooth. I had a sandwich in a small town just outside of London that was fried brown bread, melted brie, and Wiltshire bacon, and it was easily one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten.

Grilled cheese is kind of hard to screw up, though. Honestly the meltability (hush, it's a word now) is the most important factor. As long as it melts well and you like the taste, it's a good cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

M42 posted:

That would be me.

Grilled cheese sandwiches are 50% taste and 50% texture for me. I love the taste of sourdough with a nice sharp cheddar and it tends to crunch up nicely on the outside.

The provolone/cheddar combination tastes good and melts well together.

Tomato soup is required for dipping. :P

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

RHIN0002 posted:

I set out some chicken to thaw on the counter yesterday as I thought that it would be ready to cook in time for dinner. After about 5 or 6 hours, it was still mostly frozen so I stuck it back in the fridge to defrost overnight. There should be no risk with that right?

Really the most dangerous part is ever sitting it out to thaw like that, but it's not like the chicken is going to become radioactive.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

M42 posted:

I wouldn't go provolone and cheddar; the main trick used in most `high end' grilled cheese sandwiches is that you can pair some of a hard cheese, which will tend to have a stronger flavour but be less melty, with a soft cheese that will melt better but have less flavour. So something like a smoked gouda or gruyere paired with an aged sharp cheddar would be a more `traditional' approach to the upscale grilled cheese sandwich.

Butter your bread both sides, add a little spicy mustard to the `inside' of one slice (you don't want to overpower the cheese flavour), put cheese on the mustard, other slice of bread on the cheese. Heat two skillets to lava hot, remove from heat. Put sandwich in one skillet, put other skillet on sandwich. Wait about four or five minutes or until you hear vigourous sizzling (indicating all the cheese is liquid and oozing out of the sandwich, and is therefore done.

For bread I actually like challah sliced fairly thick, but really any bread will do. If you're trying to go for the whole upscale angle though, this is a pretty loving simple dish and so you want each of the ingredients to be as good as possible and to contribute a distinct flavour note. So I'd go for a sliced batard of straight dough French bread over grocery store sliced white bread, for example.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Whatever you do, make sure some cheese spills over so you get those little cheese crispys. Or hell, forget the sandwich altogether and just make some cheese crispys. :colbert:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

Whatever you do, make sure some cheese spills over so you get those little cheese crispys. Or hell, forget the sandwich altogether and just make some cheese crispys. :colbert:

no joke. I have been known to just make an "open faced" grilled cheese where I just put chedd right onto teflon pan with a slice of bread on top. Cook on medium until crisp, flip and fry the other side in the rendered cheese fat. Unf.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My favorite grilled cheese is swiss cheese/emmental. It's got a nice nutty flavor as opposed to a cheddar's sharp flavor, and it melts well to boot. And I usually use a multigrain type of bread (with the little bits & pieces in it), but I use multigrain bread for everything.

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010
Lately my favorite grilled cheese is brie + red pepper jelly. Yummmm.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

M42 posted:

I actually don't eat cheese very often, so I don't really know poo poo about tastes etc. :shobon:

Do you live near a Whole Foods? Go there and ask to try a bunch of cheeses then buy some you like and make a sandwich.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like apple, bacon, and a mix of fresh and really old cheddar on sourdough.

Maybe a tomato or slice of onion too. A smear of mustard is nice as well.

Auryn
Dec 20, 2004

So I put a small pork butt in the crockpot around 5pm today, cooked it for 3-4 hours on high, then turned it down to low. Will it be okay to keep cooking it overnight in the crockpot til about 9 or 10am?? Is there such a thing as too long?? I'm making pulled pork.

Edit: nevermind, I checked it and it was done.

Auryn fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 6, 2013

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Wow! Thanks for all the grilled cheese suggestions, peeps. I'm going to try them all (regrettably, not in one go).

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Some strips of roasted mild peppers (poblanos, anaheims, etc) is also an awesome addition.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 6, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Auryn posted:

So I put a small pork butt in the crockpot around 5pm today, cooked it for 3-4 hours on high, then turned it down to low. Will it be okay to keep cooking it overnight in the crockpot til about 9 or 10am?? Is there such a thing as too long?? I'm making pulled pork.

Edit: nevermind, I checked it and it was done.

If you cook it too much then you'll be stuck making rillettes or something, it'll turn into weird meaty paste.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...

Scott Bakula posted:

So I cooked the pasta sauce with the chorizo and while my mum really liked the flavour, she didn't like the texture since it was fairly hard. Outside of making my own chorizo, what should I look for in good chorizo? I'm in England if that matters. Mostly over here you seem to get the thin, hard links or its more like salami and always sold extremely finely sliced.

Anyone who could direct me to somewhere I can find whole, dried paprika online would be of great help

Chorizo isn't hard to find in England. If you have a Deli near by they will almost certainly have some and if not try a reasonably sized Tesco or similar. The deli counters in supermarkets tend to have 5 or 6 different large chorizos and you can ask them to just cut you off a chunk rather than thinly slice it (though they may look at you funny). It's also much much cheaper to buy it like that.

Alternatively, do you have a European market nearby? There's a regular one in my home town in the Midlands so I'd imagine they're reasonably common.

E: I've been trying to make myself like avocados. The guacamole recipe with the cumin on the last page was crazy delicious and I may now need to go buy some more avocado... Thanks Plus_infinity!

Oski fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 6, 2013

Clever Gamma
Mar 23, 2008
I have a head of green cabbage, and though I'm looking forward to roasting wedges with onion like brussels sprouts, I'd appreciate suggestions for something fancier. Trying to work cabbage into my diet and failing for figure out fun ways to make it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Clever Gamma posted:

I have a head of green cabbage, and though I'm looking forward to roasting wedges with onion like brussels sprouts, I'd appreciate suggestions for something fancier. Trying to work cabbage into my diet and failing for figure out fun ways to make it.

Stir fry with garlic and ginger then finish with soy and honey. Or sauté with butter and add English mustard, a splash of cider vinegar, and a dash of sugar.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Clever Gamma posted:

:kimchi: Make kimchi. :kimchi: There was a thread a while back that motivated me to start making kimchi out of all the random greens that I was getting in my CSA box and it's been one of those `why the gently caress didn't I think of this before' things.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Clever Gamma posted:

Fry some onion, chilli and garlic in butter until its softened then add the chopped cabbage. Toss it a bit then put a lid on so it steams under its own water. Steam until its as cooked as you want then juice a lemon or so over it

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Sorry to ask again, but I never got an answer the first time.

If I live somewhere where I can't have a barbecue, can I use a kitchen torch/blowtorch on meat to get that flame grilled flavour, or will it just taste like I hovered it over a lighter?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sunshine89 posted:

Sorry to ask again, but I never got an answer the first time.

If I live somewhere where I can't have a barbecue, can I use a kitchen torch/blowtorch on meat to get that flame grilled flavour, or will it just taste like I hovered it over a lighter?

It'll work kinda, but not exactly what you're looking for. A broiler would work a bit better. You can also look into smoked finishing salts.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Kenning posted:

I like to roast poblanos and Anaheims, peel them, and chop them up to add to the chili. I always use lots of anchos in my chili powder as well, since I like the earthy flavor. You could just slice them thinly and throw them in when you add the stock – they'd prolly dissolve pretty well. And anchos are really not spicy at all so it would be difficult to overdo it.

I ended up doing a mix of jalapenos (4), poblanos (2) and Anaheims (2). I was lazy and didn't roast though, and it is way more mild than my normal chili. Does roasting release the flavor or something? Because I typically just get pickled jalapenos and use that and at 4 stuff starts getting a tad spicy. The recipie was pretty much the same I always use, basically a modified take on iron leg's recipe from the chili thread. Except I used an additional pound of luganica sausage in addition to chuck, ground and chorizo. The only thing I can possibly think of was that I did broth-Sprite-Honeybrown as my liquid (I usually do broth-Cola-Magic Hat 9) but it was the same amount of liquid really and I think those beers are roughly similar in sweetness.

also, re grilled cheese, I recently did shredding pancetta fried over appenzeller, sauteed portabellos and caramelized onions. Yum. Wish I could have found guanciale but the store was out :(

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Roasting brings out some flavors and makes it easier to get the waxy skins off. Try adding some serranos or a can of chipotles in adobo sauce to add some punch without getting too out of hand.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Oski posted:

Chorizo isn't hard to find in England. If you have a Deli near by they will almost certainly have some and if not try a reasonably sized Tesco or similar. The deli counters in supermarkets tend to have 5 or 6 different large chorizos and you can ask them to just cut you off a chunk rather than thinly slice it (though they may look at you funny). It's also much much cheaper to buy it like that.

I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but there are two different kinds of chorizo, and they're really very different. Spanish chorizo is a solid sausage, a lot like linguica. Mexican chorizo is very different. It's a loose sausage in a casing and is uncooked and uncured when you buy it, and is used more like mince. They're not really interchangeable in recipes, in my opinion.

I have no idea how available mexican (or carribean, which is pretty similar) chorizo is in England.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Tendales posted:

I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but there are two different kinds of chorizo, and they're really very different. Spanish chorizo is a solid sausage, a lot like linguica. Mexican chorizo is very different. It's a loose sausage in a casing and is uncooked and uncured when you buy it, and is used more like mince. They're not really interchangeable in recipes, in my opinion.

I have no idea how available mexican (or carribean, which is pretty similar) chorizo is in England.
Both Spanish and Mexican (and Brazilian and Portuguese and Puerto Rican...) can be found/made either in casings or loose, just like sausage in general. I don't know if you're more likely to find them segregated the way you describe in white people grocery stores, but in areas with a large Hispanic community I'd expect neighbourhood ethnic grocers to carry both. You're right in that you generally wouldn't sub between a cured and loose sausage with chorizo any more than you would with any other sausage.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

It'll work kinda, but not exactly what you're looking for. A broiler would work a bit better. You can also look into smoked finishing salts.

Do you need a gas hookup and/or large ventilation system for that? Also, are their broilers that fit under cabinets or on counters?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I'm looking to make small batches of red beans and rice once every week or two. My game plan right now is this:

1) Measure out 1/2 cup to 1 cup of kidney beans and soak either 8 hours (starting the morning of) or 16 hours (starting the night before)
2) Come home from work and simmer beans 1.5-2 hours
3) Cook 1/2 cup to 1 cup of rice in rice cooker
4) Add onion and garlic to something at some time?
5) Mix rice and beans together, add salt, pepper, cumin and sriracha
6) Eat

I'm well aware that I won't have anything near this, but that's ok. I'm just looking for a small batch of red beans and rice I can make cheaply and easily after work.

So with that being said, when and how should I add things like the onion and garlic, and how long should I soak the beans? Also what else am I about to gently caress up terribly, and how do I fix it?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Saint Darwin posted:

Really the most dangerous part is ever sitting it out to thaw like that, but it's not like the chicken is going to become radioactive.

The most ironic part of this post is I got pretty bad food poisoning a few hours afterwards.

Remember kids, refrigerate your lunch leftovers if you're going to eat them for dinner! I had never had food poisoning and it sucked.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Oski posted:

E: I've been trying to make myself like avocados. The guacamole recipe with the cumin on the last page was crazy delicious and I may now need to go buy some more avocado... Thanks Plus_infinity!

Hey I am so glad you liked it! It's a hit with my family so I like to pass it along.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I ended up doing a mix of jalapenos (4), poblanos (2) and Anaheims (2). I was lazy and didn't roast though, and it is way more mild than my normal chili. Does roasting release the flavor or something? Because I typically just get pickled jalapenos and use that and at 4 stuff starts getting a tad spicy. The recipie was pretty much the same I always use, basically a modified take on iron leg's recipe from the chili thread. Except I used an additional pound of luganica sausage in addition to chuck, ground and chorizo. The only thing I can possibly think of was that I did broth-Sprite-Honeybrown as my liquid (I usually do broth-Cola-Magic Hat 9) but it was the same amount of liquid really and I think those beers are roughly similar in sweetness.

also, re grilled cheese, I recently did shredding pancetta fried over appenzeller, sauteed portabellos and caramelized onions. Yum. Wish I could have found guanciale but the store was out :(

4 jalapenos? How much meat did you use? Last time I made chili with just under 5 pounds of meat and I used 1 poblano, 2 Anaheims, 7 or 8 serranos, 7 or 8 red Fresnos, and 6 habaneros, in addition to like 4 or 5 heaping spoonfuls of homemade chili powder that had plenty of dried chipotle and arbol in it, along with milder stuff like ancho and New Mexico. That chili turned out pretty darn spicy, but it was a slow building heat and not overwhelming.

I thought you were looking for more chili peppers primarily to add more chili flavor, and that you had pretty much gotten your heat levels set. I would never make chili without at least a handful of serranos and/or red Fresnos for heat. I pretty much don't buy jalapenos anymore since most of what you'll find at a non-Mexican grocery store (and even at some Mexican spots) are those swollen, bland Texas A&M hybrid jalapenos.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I will always seed and de-rib (the white stuff) chiles when cooking, but I will always reserve it for later. I will then mince the white ribs as fine as I can manage and then add back a little at a time to taste. That way I always have control over both the pepper flavor profile as well as the overall heat level.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I bought fresh oregano and thyme for mushroom pie (well, mushroom puff pastry might be more accurate), which would go better with the mushrooms? Or did I choose the wrong herbs entirely? I'm terrible at these things.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

GrAviTy84 posted:

no joke. I have been known to just make an "open faced" grilled cheese where I just put chedd right onto teflon pan with a slice of bread on top. Cook on medium until crisp, flip and fry the other side in the rendered cheese fat. Unf.

I go for the best of both worlds and make a regular grilled cheese but set aside some of the cheese, then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the crisped up bread, flip and keep frying to crisp up the cheese. mmm. If I grate a ton of cheese and have enough I'll do that treatment on both sides of bread.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I bought fresh oregano and thyme for mushroom pie (well, mushroom puff pastry might be more accurate), which would go better with the mushrooms? Or did I choose the wrong herbs entirely? I'm terrible at these things.

The thyme is the better flavor for the mushrooms, though the oregano isn't totally out of place. It's just not quite as traditional, is all. Were I making a mushroom pie, I would use thyme, bay leaf, and parsley as my herbs of choice, and maybe possibly sage but not too much, depending on what type of mushrooms I had. I would be sure to use lots of onion, of course.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

is this some sort of hosed up troll: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Water-Toast

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pfft. You've clearly never perused Mrs Beeton's Household Management handbook.

From Chapter 39:

quote:

TO MAKE TOAST-AND-WATER.
1876. INGREDIENTS – A slice of bread, 1 quart of boiling water.

Mode.—Cut a slice from a stale loaf (a piece of hard crust is better than anything else for the purpose), toast it of a nice brown on every side, but do not allow it to burn or blacken. Put it into a jug, pour the boiling water over it, cover it closely, and let it remain until cold. When strained, it will be ready for use. Toast-and-water should always be made a short time before it is required, to enable it to get cold: if drunk in a tepid or lukewarm state, it is an exceedingly disagreeable beverage. If, as is sometimes the case, this drink is wanted in a hurry, put the toasted bread into a jug, and only just cover it with the boiling water; when this is cool, cold water may be added in the proportion required,—the toast-and-water strained; it will then be ready for use, and is more expeditiously prepared than by the above method.

TOAST SANDWICHES.
1877. INGREDIENTS – Thin cold toast, thin slices of bread-and-butter, pepper and salt to taste.

Mode.—Place a very thin piece of cold toast between 2 slices of thin bread-and-butter in the form of a sandwich, adding a seasoning of pepper and salt. This sandwich may be varied by adding a little pulled meat, or very fine slices of cold meat, to the toast, and in any of these forms will be found very tempting to the appetite of an invalid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The thyme is the better flavor for the mushrooms, though the oregano isn't totally out of place. It's just not quite as traditional, is all. Were I making a mushroom pie, I would use thyme, bay leaf, and parsley as my herbs of choice, and maybe possibly sage but not too much, depending on what type of mushrooms I had. I would be sure to use lots of onion, of course.

Rosemary also works extremely well with mushrooms, but thyme and oregano would be good too. I'd probably tend to the thyme but oregano isn't "wrong".