Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I don't doubt at all that the times he spends on those games are legit. Dying over and over is one thing, but then you gotta make progress back to that spot you're dying over and over in too. Sometimes I gotta wonder at his tenacity - after all, we're getting the abridged version where they can just say "20 minutes later..." but he has to actually get there (albeit sometimes with the help of AD's, of course). For me, when I play a hard NES or SNES game, I feel like throwing the controller to the wall after a few deaths at a tough spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Well okay, maybe you guys are right. I actually never got around to watching the live challenges, so maybe the amount of time he takes really is genuine.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

zari-gani posted:

Really? I didn't see it that way. I mean, it was a great segment, but I don't think he riffed on the elderly.

For those who haven't seen it: the concept behind Living National Treasure Arino is 50 years in the future, they found a chest full of lost Famicom games. Kan presents them one at a time to a 90-year old Arino, who is wise and knows all Famicom games, and asks him what the game is. The catch is these are fake games (usually parodies of real games), and it's Arino's first time seeing them. Based on the title and cover art, he (the real Arino, not Old Man Arino) has to come up with what the game is on the fly. So it's an improv segment, basically. Sometimes he's funny, and sometimes he obviously is at a loss of what to say.

Example: he was once handed "Uradius," which was a tough one because it used the really old Famicom label style with no art. Arino went, "Ah yes, I remember this game... it's a game where you play as a young AD called Urakawa," then he rambled on about what you do as Urakawa. It was sort of funny.

The funniest part is when Arino is rambling and Kan silently takes the cart and leaves the room.

They need to do that with the box art from the foreign release of games and see what he comes up with.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
To be fair unless they explicitly state how may hours it took, the only gauge of time is that they start before lunchtime (so Arino can hope he finishes by it) and end around 11 pm or later if it hasn't finished by then.

Speaking of, I'm morbidly curious is to just how much data they have to wrangle at the end of a shoot. That's upwards of 12+ hours of footage from multiple cameras plus the game footage. I can only imagine how many gigabytes worth of video files they have to work with just for the challenge segments alone.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Really? I didn't see it that way. I mean, it was a great segment, but I don't think he riffed on the elderly.

My take the segment openings as Arino doing some kind of stereotypical old person thing, though usually in some goofy way. Like he has the shogi board set up but instead of playing he's knocking the pieces over like dominos.

KimT posted:

I'm sure it's probably been mentioned a couple of times before in the thread, but the show lies about the time a lot, right? It's a lot more noticeable with the games I've actually played, but you see stuff like "Arino was stuck on this section for three hours" or with boss fights they sometimes show him on his 40th attempt or something crazy like that and it's kinda hard to buy it. Also one phrase that I see popping up in almost every episode is "Arino is stuck for 20 minutes", "Arino gets his chance 20 minutes later" etc, likes it's their go to number when they need to skip over some time.

And I know Arino isn't great at games but spending 24+ hours on Yoshi's Island seems kind of wrong, since he didn't really seem horrendously bad at the game or anything. (And it's a really easy game if you're not going for 100%) It's been a while since I played it though, maybe it's longer than I remember.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. It doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the show at all, it's just something I've noticed.

The show lies about time quite a bit but not in the way that you think. They tend to round up numbers like how long he's spent on a level so if Arino has spent forty-five minutes doing something then they'll probably say that he's been at it an hour. The total time given is from the time that they started shooting so it includes the many breaks they take through the day; that's a bare minimum of two hours since meal breaks are usually about half an hour and there's other breaks for things like swapping the camera batteries. They also compress time on occasion to make things look like they happened faster, especially at the end of an episode. Segments may be shown weeks apart but they do them in one day long shoot (which is probably why they've stopped doing segments with viewer participation).

Cheating on time the way you're talking about, though, doesn't happen.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 4, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Drakkel posted:

Speaking of, I'm morbidly curious is to just how much data they have to wrangle at the end of a shoot. That's upwards of 12+ hours of footage from multiple cameras plus the game footage. I can only imagine how many gigabytes worth of video files they have to work with just for the challenge segments alone.
High definition 16:9 footage clocks in at about 16gb/hr if you're importing from an analog tape (I dunno about those fancy hard drive tapes). Personally, I more curious about whether they use tapes or hard drive capture cameras.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

High definition 16:9 footage clocks in at about 16gb/hr if you're importing from an analog tape (I dunno about those fancy hard drive tapes). Personally, I more curious about whether they use tapes or hard drive capture cameras.

Last I heard they were using tape but I would not be shocked if that's changed.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Is this the only show where the production crew get so much screen time?

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

The White Dragon posted:

They were definitely using a tape-based media way back during Mega Man 3. That's about all I can say.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Drakkel posted:

Yeah, if you think it's unrealistic to spend 20-40 minutes on one segment wait til you watch Arino spend 8+ hours on the same Lemmings level.

Or until you watch him crash a plane in Pilotwings over and over for hours.

Seith
Sep 28, 2011
I just realized that fellow goon xamphear was the kind gentleman responsible for doing a huge chunk of the work on GCCX's entry over at TheTVDB. I am especially grateful for his work over there as it is the source from which my Home Theater PC pulls all of its info/posters/banners for the show from. Thanks, xamphear!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

redmercer posted:

Is this the only show where the production crew get so much screen time?
Far as I can tell yes, it's pretty adorable how much the production crew get to be part of everything from writers to producers to the camera MAN~

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

FinalGamer posted:

Far as I can tell yes, it's pretty adorable how much the production crew get to be part of everything from writers to producers to the camera MAN~

I especially love how each member of the crew is painted with their own quirk on the show, like Nakayama's overbearing politeness and Camera man Abe's constant reminder of being part of a bike gang.

Oh and the fact that he has a theme song. :c00l:

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

(From Yoshi's Island part 1)

Takahashi waves his card near the reader and it still picks up Rambo's numbers? :psyduck:
I didn't know they had NFC technology back when the Battlers were made.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cronox2 posted:

(From Yoshi's Island part 1)

Takahashi waves his card near the reader and it still picks up Rambo's numbers? :psyduck:
I didn't know they had NFC technology back when the Battlers were made.

The numbers were already there when he moved in so I think they just didn't get a clean shot the first time and had him repeat it.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

HoneyBoy posted:

I especially love how each member of the crew is painted with their own quirk on the show, like Nakayama's overbearing politeness and Camera man Abe's constant reminder of being part of a bike gang.

Oh and the fact that he has a theme song. :c00l:
Or Tanii being...creepy. Or...gay, wait what IS Tanii's deal anyway, I have to ask because there is SOMETHING they always have about him and I'm jut not sure WHAT.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
OK, that guy at the retro arcade in the part 1 episode is a man after my own heart. God bless him.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
The primary thing this particular challenge did was to remind me how gorgeous Yoshi's Island is. Goddamn. I want to go back and replay world 5 just to bask in the visuals again. The storks in the background!

Tumor Baby
Sep 9, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

The primary thing this particular challenge did was to remind me how gorgeous Yoshi's Island is. Goddamn. I want to go back and replay world 5 just to bask in the visuals again. The storks in the background!
Hell yes it is! It's an excellent testament to the beautiful sense of symmetry of the Super Nintendo's life-cycle as a system. Just compare the first game for the SNES - Super Mario World, to one of the last major tent-pole titles for the system in Yoshi's Island and you can see the amazing technological progress and artistic accomplishment made in just a short five to six year time within the same series and genre with those two games. You can see the same thing comparing early NES to late releases, but I don't think the example has ever been more clear or as tangible as between Mario World and Yoshi's Island.

Tumor Baby fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 5, 2013

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I just realized something.

There's still 2 Ghouls 'N Ghosts games Arino hasn't played yet.

The last Red Arremer game Demon's Crest for SNES and the one for PSP (this one probably isn't possible without specific capture equipment).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I just realized something.

There's still 2 Ghouls 'N Ghosts games Arino hasn't played yet.

The last Red Arremer game Demon's Crest for SNES and the one for PSP (this one probably isn't possible without specific capture equipment).

The PSP can output video but I wouldn't bet on seeing them used in challenges any time soon.

Demon's Crest, OTOH, is one of those games that I've been expecting for a while. Since they may be doing a revisiting the great hits for the 10th anniversary year it might turn up in season 17...

retromonk
Nov 5, 2009

Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt
Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins for the PSP is really fun. I'd love for Arino to challenge it in a 2-parter.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

...and the one for PSP (this one probably isn't possible without specific capture equipment).

A 3rd-gen PSP and a $10 cable? :v:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
i was thinking more of a super gameboy but for psp but your idea is cool.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

univbee posted:

I'm not sure that's the best solution. Apparently it makes the text come out all funny.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

univbee posted:

Dang, the output thing is cool but I wanna play FF4 in French.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nipponophile posted:

I'm not sure that's the best solution. Apparently it makes the text come out all funny.

Nah, it's generally fine. Games don't run full screen (firmware hacks aside), but it's all good. Hell, the the PSP Go had Dualshock 3 support too - I played The Third Birthday and Ys Chronicles like that.

Edit: I'm really stupid aren't I.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 5, 2013

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Nipponophile posted:

I enjoyed your joke

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
An upcoming treat for arcade trip fans.

BTA
Sep 30, 2012
The whole thing about TVN from a page or so back is very interesting to me as someone who's gradually watching most of Kamen Rider, as past a very recent point they're the only ones who subbed many of the series. I'm not sure how much this applies to their subs for this show (though the "ryman" cap makes me think it probably does), but my biggest issue with them is their weird and inconsistent use of the original Japanese words. Certain characters would have their catchphrases completely untranslated, while others would be fully translated, even though they were more complicated and much longer. Other times there are seemingly random phrases that just aren't in English. It's always surprised me they could use "TL Note: x is y in English" seriously, when one would think translating the line and then just having "TL Note: y is x in Japanese" if one feels it really needs to be explained would be an obviously better solution. Of course, I've also heard that once you go back far enough their TL quality is so bad that they were pretty much just guessing at a lot of points, and that would be the worst problem with them if I could actually verify that statement.

I've heard they've gotten better about most of this over the years (they dropped the annoying "x-kun-tachi" thing way back in 08, or so going from 07's Rider to 08's would have me believe), but I've still seen a fair amount of caps with some weird translation choices (or lack thereof). Similar to the comparison against SAGCCX's subs here, their rival group is big on "localization" and coming up with appropriate replacements for untranslatable jokes/lines (and having TL notes in blog posts where appropriate), so it does come down to an issue of an (overly) loyal translation against a more easily understandable one, I guess.

To bring this a bit more back on topic, it was really interesting to hear how you handled differences between US releases and the original scripts, zari-gani. Most of the episodes I've watched are of games that weren't released in the US, but I figured there were a fair amount of games that would have such an issue. It's nice to know you've put that much effort into it, and it makes me respect you guys even more.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I watched the raw of the Cambodia trip a few times already. Good arcade trip episode. Can't wait for the sub.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

BTA posted:

it does come down to an issue of an (overly) loyal translation against a more easily understandable one, I guess.

This is something TV-N viewers in the thread keep claiming, and it's not true. It's not a loyal translation. If you look at the comparison shot of SA vs TV-N, that's clearly a case where they do not grasp the meaning of a sentence at all, even on the most basic and fundamental level. This happens constantly in their subs, even in GCCX. They do not understand basic words or sentence syntaxes, and as a result their translations end up being completely mangled far more often than you'd think. It is not the work of loyal experts making educated editorial choices. It is the work of amateurs trying to pass themselves off as loyal experts by making editorial choices to cover up their own ignorance and inability to properly understand Japanese or English. It's a smokescreen.

On topic, I'm pumped for the Cambodia episode. I really enjoy all the trip digests the show does. The South Korea episode was great.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 6, 2013

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

zari-gani posted:

What could be tasty in a game store? :confused:

I haven't seen the Cambodia trip episode, so this will be totally new to me. I hope it's as awesome as I imagine. :)

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
As a fellow Korean, I loved the Korea episode. She translated the Korean bits better than she admits.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Sorry for double post. Pressed the wrong button.

Obeast posted:

I haven't seen the Cambodia trip episode, so this will be totally new to me. I hope it's as awesome as I imagine. :)

Raw on my usual channel.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Obeast posted:

Don't you remember the one place with the Invader Okonomiyaki? Or the place with the full service vending machines (Mmmmm. Cafeteria Hot Ham & Cheese :v:)?

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
I'm a big Kamen Rider fan, and I agree with Hokuto. When you translate it using Japanese words, not only does it make it inaccessible to people who don't know any Japanese, it strips all of the character out of the text. The words that they say are untranslatable are sometimes actually more or less impossible to directly translate. But translation is not about being word-for-word, and a sentence can be changed around in so many different ways to convey the character that Japanese-speakers pick up on their own. That's why I can't stand TVN's ridiculous translation. (And also why I co-run a blog that makes fun of them)

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Which episode has Arino forgetting to do the restart code so often that the staff has to say a mantra each time he gets a game over?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

Which episode has Arino forgetting to do the restart code so often that the staff has to say a mantra each time he gets a game over?

Wing of Madoola on the Discotek DVDs. It's seriously one of my favorite episodes for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Wing of Madoola on the Discotek DVDs. It's seriously one of my favorite episodes for that reason.

Well then, it's settled. I'm spending a bit of my tax refund on this.

Edit: Done! Now to play the waiting game...

Col. Roy Campbell fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 6, 2013