Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Stuff is happening in Dynasty Warriors 8. Ma Chao, Cai Wenji, Xu Zhu, Ma Dai, Deng Ai, and Zhong Hui are all confirmed.

The new feature teased by Tecmo Koei is a "reverse" option in free mode, which allows players to control an officer for the opposing side of a battle. So if you want to play Sima Zhao for the Yellow Turban Rebellion then you totally can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Stuff is happening in Dynasty Warriors 8. Ma Chao, Cai Wenji, Xu Zhu, Ma Dai, Deng Ai, and Zhong Hui are all confirmed.

The new feature teased by Tecmo Koei is a "reverse" option in free mode, which allows players to control an officer for the opposing side of a battle. So if you want to play Sima Zhao for the Yellow Turban Rebellion then you totally can.
What happens if you win?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

People in Japan will be playing Dynasty Warriors 8 while I'm just getting into 7:Empires. :negative:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

What happens if you win?

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that what'll happen is Zhang Liang will go "AAAAAH! We have shown them the true might of the Heavens!!!" and then Sima Zhao will do his little victory dance post-battle thing.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Policenaut posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that what'll happen is Zhang Liang will go "AAAAAH! We have shown them the true might of the Heavens!!!" and then Sima Zhao will do his little victory dance post-battle thing.

Sounds like free mode from every other DW game ever. Even DW2 had that feature. Such is the times we live in where old things that were taken out and are now added back are now new things.

Is Ma Chao using the super basic spear or did they give that to Zhang Wen? It's a little hard to tell.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Policenaut posted:

Time for more horseback harp murder then :black101:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Belzac posted:

Sounds like free mode from every other DW game ever. Even DW2 had that feature. Such is the times we live in where old things that were taken out and are now added back are now new things.

I'm pretty sure the point is that battles that only exist from one faction or another's perspective will be playable from the other side in Free Mode. I can't think of a Dynasty Warriors game where you could choose a side in a battle in Free Mode that wasn't already part of a campaign.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Jibo posted:

I'm pretty sure the point is that battles that only exist from one faction or another's perspective will be playable from the other side in Free Mode. I can't think of a Dynasty Warriors game where you could choose a side in a battle in Free Mode that wasn't already part of a campaign.

This feature as you described it was in 2-5 (I'm not sure about 6). An example would be Yellow Turban rebellion from 2. You can play as either the Han forces or YT forces. At no time in the normal musou mode can you control the YT forces but in free mode (after you hit certain conditions) you can pick that side.

Now that the missions are much more complex and have lots of cutscenes and stuff it will definitely be more interesting but that feature has always been around (even if was under appreciated).

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Samurai Warriors 3 on Yukimura Sanada's path has him vs. the whole Tokugawa army at the end of his story. It made me shed manly tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um_lwaplL08

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Is there any way to change Kenshiro's costume in Legend Mode? I have the DLC installed, but I can't find the option to change it.

edit: you can change the costumes in dream mode, just go to character select and change them there.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 6, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh, and DW8 will have two player co-op as well. Nice to see we won't have to buy an XL to get it this time around.

Grimdaddy
Dec 1, 2003

The question isn't indiscreet. But the answer could be.

Policenaut posted:

Is there any way to change Kenshiro's costume in Legend Mode? I have the DLC installed, but I can't find the option to change it.

edit: you can change the costumes in dream mode, just go to character select and change them there.

Do you have to finish Legend mode first to get Kenshiro to show up in the Dream mode select screen? So far I just have Shin and Outlaw. (no DLC here)

Just finished the Jackal arc, which I was pretty impressed by - not just that it was in the game at all, but also that it was pretty well handled. This game is far better than the previous one at telling the story. It misses or changes a few beats around now and then, but overall has been pretty faithful and entertaining.

Oh yeah, and for those that care note that there is no cheesy English dub this time. I watched the anime with subs, so it seems totally normal and fine to me.

The gameplay is much improved this time, and Kenshiro feels properly deadly now, rather than slow, clunky and weak like the first game. They also toned down the QTE crap, and they (so far) are much simpler and have a wider window than the old ones.

It seems like a far better game than the first, so far.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Grimdaddy posted:

Do you have to finish Legend mode first to get Kenshiro to show up in the Dream mode select screen? So far I just have Shin and Outlaw. (no DLC here)

If you have all the DLC installed then those characters should immediately just pop up as unlocked when you first turn on the game, at least that's what happened to me. Then I went into Dream Mode and just changed the costumes around in the character select. I'm not sure when they unlock otherwise, I'm only just past Fang Clan.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Does the PSN version of Kens Rage 2 have insanely long load times like the 360 version? I installed to the system, and still ended up sitting through a load screen just to get to another loading screen!

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

So, maybe this is going to be a dumb question, but hearing about DW7:Empires has given me the "waste time by brainlessly chopping hundreds of mans in ancient fantasy china" itch that I haven't felt since DW3 and 4 came out. I have payed no attention whatsoever to the DW franchise since that point, though I may have briefly played either 5 or 6 (or an empires variant) and thought it was godawful and completely unsatisfying, so I'd like to avoid that sort of experience.

Anyway, I'm planning to go out and pick up a used copy of DW7, hopefully for very cheap. Is this a sound idea or a horrible one? Is there anything that I should know before doing this, assuming that I know nothing at all besides what is in this thread's OP?

Selane
May 19, 2006

DW7 is pretty much amazing across the board.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Anyway, I'm planning to go out and pick up a used copy of DW7, hopefully for very cheap. Is this a sound idea or a horrible one? Is there anything that I should know before doing this, assuming that I know nothing at all besides what is in this thread's OP?

I just did that exact thing. Haven't played since 3 and picked up 7. I am now looking to get every single Musou game I can. I've already got 7XL coming in the mail, and I'm eagerly awaiting 7 Empires. I'm also trying to decide if I want Warriors Orochi 3, One Piece, or Ken Rage's 2 for more "killin' thousands of dudes" action with a different skin on top.

So yes, start with DW7.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Does Ken's Rage 2 contain the plot from FotN1 or is it just the sequel plot? I skipped the first one because I heard bad things about it overall, but this second one seems to fix a lot of things and I wanted to try. But if all there is the terrible FotN2 plot I dunno if I really want to play it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Infinity Gaia posted:

Does Ken's Rage 2 contain the plot from FotN1 or is it just the sequel plot? I skipped the first one because I heard bad things about it overall, but this second one seems to fix a lot of things and I wanted to try. But if all there is the terrible FotN2 plot I dunno if I really want to play it.

It'll contain all the story from the first series plus (sadly) HnK 2 as well.

Looks like I'm not getting my copy for Friday, I dunno why I keep ordering stuff from Zavvi. Well, they're cheap. And they lulled me into a false sense of security by getting Ni no Kuni to me a day early. :negative:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Static Rook posted:

I just did that exact thing. Haven't played since 3 and picked up 7. I am now looking to get every single Musou game I can. I've already got 7XL coming in the mail, and I'm eagerly awaiting 7 Empires. I'm also trying to decide if I want Warriors Orochi 3, One Piece, or Ken Rage's 2 for more "killin' thousands of dudes" action with a different skin on top.

So yes, start with DW7.

In One Piece and Ken's Rage (and presumably Ken's Rage 2) the fights are on a lot smaller scale. It's not uncommon in either game to finish levels with less than 100 kills. Also Warriors Orochi 3 is like musou perfection so you should definitely get that.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I picked up Warriors Orochi 3 recently, having not played a 'proper' Warriors game since the PS2 (I've played the hell out of Ken's Rage and the DW Gundam games, but kept bypassing the main series for some reason). I'm enjoying the hell out of it, mainly because they fixed the two things that annoyed me most about the older games: the fact that characters with wide attack ranges were always objectively better than those without, and the fact that I don't need a horse to get anywhere at a decent rate. The characters in this one haul rear end, even the slower ones, which makes things a hell of a lot more enjoyable. Really want to get KR2 at some point. Random question, but a friend told me there was an unlockable if you had a save from the first game. Anything to that, or is he talking balls?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Grimdaddy posted:

Oh yeah, and for those that care note that there is no cheesy English dub this time. I watched the anime with subs, so it seems totally normal and fine to me.

That makes me a bit worried that DW8 won't have one. I guess I'm just too used to the dub at this point but the Japanese voices have always sounded pretty bad and it'd be a shame to lose some of the better ones like Zhuge Liang's or Cao Cao's.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Suben posted:

That makes me a bit worried that DW8 won't have one. I guess I'm just too used to the dub at this point but the Japanese voices have always sounded pretty bad and it'd be a shame to lose some of the better ones like Zhuge Liang's or Cao Cao's.
Well, the Japanese voice acting is equally cheesy, but it has the advantage of being done by (I think) more skilled voice actors, and for the most part the same ones across the entire series.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'll still always miss the glory days of Cow Cow and Cow Pee. The voice acting in the older DW games always was of the so-bad-it's-good kind for me.

Grimdaddy
Dec 1, 2003

The question isn't indiscreet. But the answer could be.

Suben posted:

Yeah, I can see that being an issue with a core DW game - not only for losing that awesome cheese-factor, but also there is enough talk happening during the average battle that it can be a pain to follow all the subs. This is not a problem during Ken's Rage 2 at all of course, especially if you already know the story well.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, the Japanese voice acting is equally cheesy, but it has the advantage of being done by (I think) more skilled voice actors, and for the most part the same ones across the entire series.

Even as a non-Japanese speaker, it is really obvious that the actors in Ken's Rage 2 are far better than the English dubs for the first game. They sell their parts with so much more gusto.

Ken's Rage 2 is really good, having played more of it. However, I really have to say that if you are coming at it as more of a DW fan than a FotNS fan, you should probably get a different game. You need to play through the story mode to unlock characters for the Dream mode, and they have a TON of cutscenes and exposition. I don't know if they can be skipped, as I have not tried because I have enjoyed them. As a longtime FotNS fan, I love that the series is finally getting a solid take on its story. Which really should not have taken this long, as its not exactly nuanced or complicated. So yeah, not even as much a DW game as the first one from what I have seen so far - but it is far and away the best FotNS game I have ever played. Faint praise, I know.

I have the 360 version installed, and the longest load time was around 16 seconds. Most of them are less than 10. Its not too bad, imo.

Also, whoever said that Mamiya is a beast, holy crap. She is so badass it felt kinda broken using her in Legend (story) mode - I had to go back to using Ken asap.

Edit: You can skip the cutscenes with start, but you should not because they are awesome.

Grimdaddy fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 7, 2013

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Replaying Dw7 now that I got XL, particularly the Conquest mission "The Two Qiaos", makes me wish there was a similat mission for Liu Bei marrying Sun Shangxiang, with him :psyduck:ing the entire time.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Thanks for the purchasing advice, everyone who recommended DW7. This game is great and the intro video is the single least sane cutscene I have ever witnessed.

He kills a whole battalion by kicking a horse in the face and then skates down a waterfall while throwing a baby. I mean god drat.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Thanks for the purchasing advice, everyone who recommended DW7. This game is great and the intro video is the single least sane cutscene I have ever witnessed.

He kills a whole battalion by kicking a horse in the face and then skates down a waterfall while throwing a baby. I mean god drat.

I am still upset that there isn't a dedicated horse face kick button. Would have made fighting Calvary easier.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Replaying Dw7 now that I got XL, particularly the Conquest mission "The Two Qiaos", makes me wish there was a similat mission for Liu Bei marrying Sun Shangxiang, with him :psyduck:ing the entire time.
Alternately... this?

quote:

"Master, you must use the sword to take the veil off your bride if you wish to consummate the marriage."
"What if I can't take it off?"
"Then please leave and avoid further embarrassment."

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm really enjoying Ken's Rage 2 in how accurate it is to the manga, it goes to such lengths to properly convey a lot of the story albeit within the trappings of the Warriors formula. I'm also liking this new set up where they're willing to interrupt combat to put the story cutscenes in their proper place.

Anyway here's a new trailer for DW8. It's for the hypest of all the kingdoms: Jin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs5NYfinyj8

And since I've got your attention, you can check out a bunch of character demonstration trailers here.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

During the Wei campaign, I always found it strange that Cao Cao was all :qq: for Dian Wei but hardly mentioned the loss of his oldest son, Cao Ang.

But now I'm reading Romance and he acts exactly the same way, so at least Koei was consistent in that regard :v:

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I think that is sort of a trope of the Martial Romance genre - even bonds of blood or family are outmatched by the bond of comrades or a lord and his vassal etc. etc.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Pulled the trigger on Warriors Orochi 3 and downloaded it overnight. Now comes the long wait until I can play this evening. Then comes the tough decision of DW7 or WO3. :ohdear: I'll probably focus on DW7 more for now, since I want to get as far into it and XL as I can before Empires comes out. I've died and gone to Musou heaven.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Anyway here's a new trailer for DW8. It's for the hypest of all the kingdoms: Jin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs5NYfinyj8

And since I've got your attention, you can check out a bunch of character demonstration trailers here.

Looking forward to the continuing bodacious adventures of Sima Zhao and his anime girlfriend. Just read that they're going to be selling it on JP PSN as well as in stores...which I now kind of regret finding out. :ohdear:

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

SirPhoebos posted:

During the Wei campaign, I always found it strange that Cao Cao was all :qq: for Dian Wei but hardly mentioned the loss of his oldest son, Cao Ang.

But now I'm reading Romance and he acts exactly the same way, so at least Koei was consistent in that regard :v:

It's much worse when it comes to Liu Bei, Zhao Yun and Liu Chan.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

If it's one phenomena I adore the most about when a *.Warriors game hits metacritic, is that scores hardly ever creep past 58. Meanwhile they're the games that I dump 80 hours into and finish up with a 95% to 100% complete save file (though, gently caress 100%'ing WO2).

Selane
May 19, 2006

5er posted:

If it's one phenomena I adore the most about when a *.Warriors game hits metacritic, is that scores hardly ever creep past 58. Meanwhile they're the games that I dump 80 hours into and finish up with a 95% to 100% complete save file (though, gently caress 100%'ing WO2).

They hardly make any changes with each installment!! :argh:

*non-ironically gives this year's Madden a 97*

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Selane posted:

They hardly make any changes with each installment!! :argh:

*non-ironically gives this year's Madden a 97*
Actually, Gamespot at least routinely gives annual sports games ratings of around 70, for not innovating at all.

And I mean, in an objective gameplay sense, those games definitely ARE much more solidly built than Musou games. Omega Force is just plain bad when it comes to the actual game mechanics.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
TecmoKoei Europe's twitter tweeted a series of screenshots of a play through of DW7Empires showing off the creation screen and a few other screens: https://twitter.com/tecmokoeieurope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Been playing Kens Rage 2 quite a bit and I'm genuinely surprised that it's legitimately entertaining as hell and a big step up from the first game.

So naturally, the only review scores I've seen have been complete and utter poo poo. :v:

Has anyone tried the multiplayer yet? I was looking for some clear impressions of it in some of these reviews but, you know, games journalism and all that poo poo.