Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

But what if you absolutely had to?

I'd just take the straight shot of vodka. gently caress the liqueur and gently caress the mixer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
My shift drink was a Jacob's Ladder tonight. But because I didn't want to wash any more glassware, I poured it in plastic.

:smugdog:

photo kiosk of life
Aug 31, 2004

Not the best role model.
My shoes are starting to wear out and making my feet really loving ache as of late. What kind of shoes do some of you guys have? And where did you get them?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846 I was looking at these, but can anyone else can recommend anything else?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

photo kiosk of life posted:

My shoes are starting to wear out and making my feet really loving ache as of late. What kind of shoes do some of you guys have? And where did you get them?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846 I was looking at these, but can anyone else can recommend anything else?

I swear by Shoes for Crews. I got a pair of these about a year ago, they've held up extremely well under heavy use and I stick to the floors even better than the kitchen staff. Comfortable as hell too, though I also threw in some arch supporting insoles on top of the existing ones.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 25, 2013

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
Ingredients looking for recipes: Tamarind paste. Any ideas?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Frozen Horse posted:

Dilute it a bit and you basically have a strange tasting sour mix. Very versatile ingredient IMO.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Frozen Horse posted:

Make a simple syrup with it, experiment with gin and brandy.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I've used tamarind and tequila for a psuedo-margarita for the right crowd.

Shoe-wise, I just picked up a pair of red wings, super excited to break them in. Then again, I do more management than bartending these days, but I've got Sunday/Monday to do my thing with the tins.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Shoes for Crews are what I always used. I still buy them for my day to day shoes too. They're good.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Considering going back to SFCs. Been rocking various pairs of black New Balance walking/cross trainers with these inserts: http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Ultra-Graphite-Arch-Insole/dp/B0018KB942/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_1

Been comfortable enough but this latest pair of NB's I bought are just falling the gently caress apart. I've got maybe a month and a half out of them and I'm already supergluing bits of the sole together.

E: On a related note, has anyone played with the bev blends from Perfect Puree? http://www.perfectpuree.com/index.php/Beverage-Artistry-Home/

One of our regulars brought us some samples and while there's a handful of recipes online on their site, has anyone else done anything worthwhile with the Thai Black Pepper, Chipotle Sour, Thyme Citrus, or Yuzu Luxe Sour blends?

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 25, 2013

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I almost bought a $100 pair of Merrells last year because they were about the cheapest thing I could find that was black and comfy in town, until someone told me to go to the Crocs store. After I stopped laughing, I actually went and had a look and saw that they actually have a work shoes line for hospitality staff. Not only were they cheap at ~ $60 a pair, but they were also 50% off. So $30 for a pair of shoes that I have worn behind the bar every day since I bought them 14 months ago. Not going to laugh at Crocs anymore.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dr.-Scholl-s-Men-s-Dave-Sneaker-Wide-Width/20711281#Product+Reviews

Those I found when I was serving and they are cheap and really comfortable, I don't know what was wrong with the guy who gave a poor review.

I had them over a year with barely any wear.. they have a couple other styles too but I think the slip-ons look strange.
Real cheap at $34.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Edit: false alarm, nothing to see here.

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 27, 2013

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

How do you pick which glass to put a cocktail in? I assumed whiskey/bitters-type drinks always went in rocks glasses but the bars around here seem to have developed an enormous hardon for putting everything in a goddamn martini glass. I thought it was just the one place so I got used to specifying everything down, but I've had a negroni and a boulevardier (made with loving Grand Marnier, what the gently caress) served to me in a tall tippy glass I was too shitfaced to be piloting at that time of night. Are they being weird or am I being weird for expecting my manhattan down unless specified? And why martini glasses? Do patrons tip better when everyone else is spilling drinks all over them? Am I a dick if I constantly specify that I want all my poo poo down, even if it's served up (ok I can see that's kinda confusing)?

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I've read pretty much all of the thread and tried to take everyone's advice to heart, and I'm thinking about going trying to bartend. Here's where it gets tricky: I'm looking to bartend for about a year and a half before I go to grad school, with the idea that I might be able to bartend on the side once I'm back in school. Is that enough time to get from barback to bartender and make some decent money? I feel like I'm pretty well equipped for it since I have a solid knowledge of alcohol (except wine) and I can bust my rear end on a job. Even with all the horror stories in the thread, bartending is looking a hell of more enjoyable than the office jobs I'm also looking at.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

wargamerROB posted:

I've read pretty much all of the thread and tried to take everyone's advice to heart, and I'm thinking about going trying to bartend. Here's where it gets tricky: I'm looking to bartend for about a year and a half before I go to grad school, with the idea that I might be able to bartend on the side once I'm back in school. Is that enough time to get from barback to bartender and make some decent money? I feel like I'm pretty well equipped for it since I have a solid knowledge of alcohol (except wine) and I can bust my rear end on a job. Even with all the horror stories in the thread, bartending is looking a hell of more enjoyable than the office jobs I'm also looking at.

Who do you know and are you a cute girl? Also, where are you?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

fuzzy_logic posted:

Am I a dick if I constantly specify that I want all my poo poo down, even if it's served up (ok I can see that's kinda confusing)?

No, because it's your drink and you wants it how you wants it. That said, putting drinks up as opposed to on the rocks is a question of balance. On a rock or four, your Manhattan is going to continue diluting, though it'll stay cold. If you put it up, it stays just as balanced, with more notes of the vermouth and bitters coming through as it gets warmer (unless, like me, you don't give it time to warm up). That said, I have no idea where the strain of macho "don't put my cocktail in that girly glass because I'm insecure about how other people perceive my choices" comes from.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Loopyface posted:

Who do you know and are you a cute girl? Also, where are you?

Haha no one, no, and Philly.

edit: That's wrong. I have an in at a place that is really more of a beer store but has a 4 tap setup in the back due to PA's hosed up liquor laws. Would 'bartending' at a place like that look like good experience when applying for a job?

door Door door fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 28, 2013

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

That said, I have no idea where the strain of macho "don't put my cocktail in that girly glass because I'm insecure about how other people perceive my choices" comes from.

I love it when a guy orders something like a southern and coke and then gives his friend poo poo when he gets a sazerac and it comes in a sweet vintage coupe girly bitch glass with a twist gay lemon thing in it

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

nrr posted:

I love it when a guy orders something like a southern and coke and then gives his friend poo poo when he gets a sazerac and it comes in a sweet vintage coupe girly bitch glass with a twist gay lemon thing in it

I once got called for drinking a "faggy pink drink" at a reasonably nice bar here in Houston (which has since shut down). It was a Negroni.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Shooting Blanks posted:

I once got called for drinking a "faggy pink drink" at a reasonably nice bar here in Houston (which has since shut down). It was a Negroni.

A place in Chicago that happens to be one of my all time favorites is run by an old Italian family, and the place is no-nonsense tough, and I'm quite certain that if anyone there ever gave me/anyone else poo poo for drinking their house staple Negroni, they'd end up in a loving ditch with no teeth somewhere.

I love that bar. :)

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

yeah I've had the exact same thing except I think it was "pussy" instead of "faggy."

Some sort of negroni mafia would be a beautiful thing

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

nrr posted:

yeah I've had the exact same thing except I think it was "pussy" instead of "faggy."

Some sort of negroni mafia would be a beautiful thing

The funny part of that story is that the guy that called me out was trying to hit on a pair of girls that were at the bar. We wound up all going back to his room at the hotel that bar was in, he struck out, I took both girls back to their hotel and somehow managed to not get laid. I still don't understand what the gently caress happened.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

haha I was actually going to add in my last post how funny it is that normally guys who try and do the "girly drink" callout thing normally end up making themselves look like the stupid one, and it's normally any ladies in the area who speak up and tell them how dumb they look.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Sazeracs should never, ever, be served up.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Choom Gangster posted:

Bars are good places for strict rules.

Shooting Blanks posted:

The funny part of that story is that the guy that called me out was trying to hit on a pair of girls that were at the bar. We wound up all going back to his room at the hotel that bar was in, he struck out, I took both girls back to their hotel and somehow managed to not get laid. I still don't understand what the gently caress happened.

Need a more alpha glassware selection brosef

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Regular negronis were always too strong for me, but a coworker mixed up a variation with aperol and white vermouth and it was absolutely delicious. Serious sweet tooth here though so maybe it's a significant bias.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Anyone in New Zealand?

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Anyone know any good cocktails using Licor 43? We only use it in one of ours and it smells so drat good I want to use it more.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
An Englishman walks into a dockside Aberdeen pub and orders a Lager tops.

"We dinnae dae cocktails", is the perfectly timed response.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Choom Gangster posted:

*trap sprang*

photo kiosk of life
Aug 31, 2004

Not the best role model.
Thanks for the SFC site guys, I think I'm going to go with these https://www.shoesforcrews.com/sfc3/index.cfm?changeWebsite=CA_en&route=c_store.viewDetailsOfProduct&partnumber=6004&size=8.5 because I'm lazy and like just slipping shoes on and not having to tie any laces.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

photo kiosk of life posted:

Thanks for the SFC site guys, I think I'm going to go with these https://www.shoesforcrews.com/sfc3/index.cfm?changeWebsite=CA_en&route=c_store.viewDetailsOfProduct&partnumber=6004&size=8.5 because I'm lazy and like just slipping shoes on and not having to tie any laces.

I've worn SFC slip ons at work and just for day to day shoes for years. I think they're great. They come very very tight but break in to be just right. The heel portion always tears up and a little bit of yellow foam falls out after a month of wear but the shoe remains presentable after you throw the foam away and the shoe stays fitting.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Late to the footwear discussion, but I'm a big fan of Blundstones.

Had a manager recommend them to me years ago and they've worked out quite well for me.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Regular negronis were always too strong for me, but a coworker mixed up a variation with aperol and white vermouth and it was absolutely delicious. Serious sweet tooth here though so maybe it's a significant bias.

Boulevardiers are one of the new "in" drinks going around town right now and they're goddamn delicious. 2 parts rye or bourbon, 1 sweet vermouth, 1 campari - stir on ice, garnish with an orange twist. Served up, but it can be nice down if the bartender doesn't stir quite long enough to get the right dilution. I'd think there'd be lots of room for experimentation with various quinquinas, too.

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009
With a bit over a week to go, does anyone know of any Valentine-based cocktails? Or is it far easier to just churn out champage with strawberries?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

/\ Chocolate-strawberry beer!

Alternatively, what horrible drinks should I serve to everyone drowning their Valentine-misery?

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 5, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Champagne with clamato.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Sheep-Goats posted:

Champagne with clamato.
At my old job I used to pick up roadkill in July and then go to lunch, but that made me retch a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Champagne with clamato.

Needs a touch of grenadine.

In "it's fun to be a bartender" news, I got tipped in gold the other day. Had some guy and his son in from somewhere in the south of the US and after taking care of them for almost an hour, he stopped me and pulled a little bag out of his pocket and said, "Listen. From time to time, I like to give these out to people who deserve them..." And handed me this little thing that looked like a shiny penny. Turns out, it's one of these.

I've seen an inordinate amount of crazy and hilarious poo poo in my time behind the bar, but I thought this was a new level of cool.

• Locked thread