Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

KingColliwog posted:

You're gonna be happy with it. I have the FG700 which is very similar soundwise (back and sides is a different wood, but they aren't solid woods so I don't know how much it would really affect sound) but less good looking. It's awesome, plays really well and I have no bad thing to say about it.

Go get it set-up well as soon as you can though, it's worth every penny.

Yeah for sure. I've already looked up some luthiers in my area and it looks like I've got a choice between a few. Most are $35-$45 for a pretty thorough setup. I think I might like to have my Epiphone Les Paul set up as well. Got it as a gift used years ago and never had it set up, so I imagine it'd make a pretty big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

9s on a 24.75" neck are pretty much spaghetti. I've moved up to 12-56 in standard on my tele over the years, and really love the higher tension.

I've been meaning to try some 7s, myself. If it's good enough for Billy Gibbons and Pearly Gates, it's good enough for me.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Warcabbit posted:

I've been meaning to try some 7s, myself. If it's good enough for Billy Gibbons and Pearly Gates, it's good enough for me.

8's on a Jag-Stang

Two and a half steps bends, just like Kurt intended

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Warcabbit posted:

I have no idea how that dude does it. He must have the lightest touch in the world.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've been wondering what you would call this set of notes, if there's any name at all. It's where you have an open bass note and play another note over. Just something like E/A or something? Prime examples would be the intros to Drown and Starla by the Pumpkins. Or in the notes I'm playing around with:
code:
E|------------
B|------------
G|-6-4-2-4-6-7
D|-X-X-X-X-X-X
A|-0-0-0-0-0-0
E|------------
Not that I'm substituting chords for these but they sound good in my crappy solid-state overdrive setup. Just curious if they have a name.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

I have no idea how that dude does it. He must have the lightest touch in the world.

There's a short clip with his guitar tech, who basically confirms this; says he barely touches the strings. And Gibbons himself says he started using them after a tip from BB King, who asked him why he was."working so hard"...

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Underflow posted:

There's a short clip with his guitar tech, who basically confirms this; says he barely touches the strings. And Gibbons himself says he started using them after a tip from BB King, who asked him why he was."working so hard"...
That's a very good point made by the King. An uncomfortable guitar will never sounds as good as it could.

After Stevie (who often played on 13s which is insane for normal human beings) people have come to believe that bigger strings equal better tone. Which in general is nonsense. You only need to take a look at famous players known for playing on light strings to understand that that whole notion is nothing but a big myth (Gibbons, Page, Van Halen, Frampton, etc.)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yeah pretty much it's just "find something comfortable for the guitar you're playing and won't break the bank."

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm pretty sure Stevie detuned on 13s. I'm not saying anything bad about playing standard in 12s, mind you. I just don't like the way some people go 'Oh, yes, I'm playing with cable hawsers from a tugboat.'

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
What's the opinion on DR Strings K3 coating? Black Beauties, Red Devils or DragonSkin specifically.

I like the sounds from what I've heard. Bright with an echo of warmth that seems to blend different tones together smoothly without ruining any distortion. Comparing here to Rotosound Nexus coating which adds a thick percussive thump the few times I've heard those, as if the sound is falling down dead and wheezing out it's last breath.

Still though, are they worth paying double price compared to DR Tite-Fit's or Hi-Beams?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Warcabbit posted:

I'm pretty sure Stevie detuned on 13s. I'm not saying anything bad about playing standard in 12s, mind you. I just don't like the way some people go 'Oh, yes, I'm playing with cable hawsers from a tugboat.'
Yeah, but only half a step. Sure, it makes it a bit more playable but most people would definitely play better with lighter strings.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

9s on a 24.75" neck are pretty much spaghetti. I've moved up to 12-56 in standard on my tele over the years, and really love the higher tension.
It stopped happening, so I played around a bit and turns out it was my pinky doing it on specific cord changes (coming out of A7 on the progressions I was playing) not my strumming.

I am digging the bends I can pull off now though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

syntaxfunction posted:

I've been wondering what you would call this set of notes, if there's any name at all. It's where you have an open bass note and play another note over. Just something like E/A or something? Prime examples would be the intros to Drown and Starla by the Pumpkins. Or in the notes I'm playing around with:
code:
E|------------
B|------------
G|-6-4-2-4-6-7
D|-X-X-X-X-X-X
A|-0-0-0-0-0-0
E|------------
Not that I'm substituting chords for these but they sound good in my crappy solid-state overdrive setup. Just curious if they have a name.

It's a drone, or sometimes called a pedal tone or pedal note (but I think there's a slight technical difference with a pedal, needing a dissonant note in there, people call it that anyway)

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Warcabbit posted:

Who even makes 7s? I play mostly in all fourths tuning which necessitates tuning a half/whole step down on my extended scale 7 and 8 stringers with 10s. I would love it if I could tune to standard and not have to worry about a string only lasting 15 minutes...

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.amazon.com/Nice-Noise-Yuri-Landman/dp/0972731369/ref=sr_1_1

Hey check this out. It's a book about noises with a guitar and stuff. This guy did something fascinating in this month's Premier Guitar.
http://digital.premierguitar.com/premierguitar/201303_1#pg78
Single coil, mounted parallel to the low E, for rhythm guitar on its own. Dunno if I like it, but it's certainly something I'd like to try and find out.

Seriously, ever hear of anyone doing that? He wired in a single coil to cover the low E, and directed it to a separate jack, so you can play with yourself.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 5, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Gnumonic posted:

Who even makes 7s? I play mostly in all fourths tuning which necessitates tuning a half/whole step down on my extended scale 7 and 8 stringers with 10s. I would love it if I could tune to standard and not have to worry about a string only lasting 15 minutes...

Have you tried O4P and CircleK strings?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I got an Ibanez S5470F and it's a great guitar. The pickups, though, are a bit on the hot side. I've got an basswood RG1570 with Tone Zone/True Velvet/Air Norton combo in it, and I wanted something else in this one to complement the mahogany/maple body. Any good suggestions for glam metal/hard rock?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Seymour Duncan '59 neck/JB bridge combo.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
That's pretty much what I've been eyeing. Any ideas for a single coil?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A Duncan lil 59 or classic single. I have the lil 59 in the mid position on my strat and its surprising the tones you can pull out of it.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
After fiddling around with it for a couple of hours I can see that this S5470F also has the annoying sustain issues. It's the second one I've tried and it's pretty annoying since I love everything else about it.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
What's the block like on it?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I dunno. Stock. Small.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Go for some nice brass block, man.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I don't know where to get one. Also, as it is now, I can just go to the store and get my money back. I don't know if I can do that if I start changing the hardware and I guess I won't have any guarantees that it'll fix it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Boz0r posted:

I don't know where to get one. Also, as it is now, I can just go to the store and get my money back. I don't know if I can do that if I start changing the hardware and I guess I won't have any guarantees that it'll fix it.

If you have a locking tremolo, you can find one on eBay. If it's nonlocking, you can get one for less than 30 bucks on GuitarFetish.

Changing out a tremolo block is really really easy provided that you get the right block. You can always swap back the original block if you're still not satisfied with the sustain and want to return it and the store will be none the wiser.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
It's the Ibanez ZR-2 tremolo, and I've tried looking around for a block, but I can't find any on ebay or any place that makes them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's really weird to me that you've having sustain issues. I haven't heard of people having that problem with that guitar before.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Underflow posted:

This has stuck with me for days now. I'm going to order some light comfy strings and focus on having a lighter touch and see where my playing goes. Thanks for sharing that interesting info! King really is a hell of a dude.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

muike posted:

It's really weird to me that you've having sustain issues. I haven't heard of people having that problem with that guitar before.

I don't know, I've been googling around, and it doesn't seem too rare. Of course, all the people who don't have problems don't post on the forums about it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Fair enough. I haven't played any of the modern S series guitars, so maybe it really is the trem, I dunno, man. Mine is from 94 or so and doesn't have any of these problems, and the only real differences I can think of are the trem and, I think, since yours is new enough, that it has 24 frets. I really don't know.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Just wanted to throw out a big thanks to guitarthread for helping me pick an amp after many hours of research and deliberation. Not going to crosspost all the wrods I wrote, but here they are if anyone wants to check it out.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3324265&pagenumber=21#post412271582

Thanks for all the help :glomp: I ended up grabbing a Fender Superchamp after trying out quite a few different options, and for anyone looking for an amp under CAD $500, (even 6 or 700,) I strongly recommend having a look at it. For $350 it's a beast.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, I'm intrigued by this light-string theory as well.

...even though I've spent basically all of this week lusting after that Bass VI rerelease. Oops.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
I don't think it's an easy conversion, though. Coming from 11s and 12s, I tried 8s once, and couldn't get any chords to sound straight. You'll have years of habit/practice/muscle memory to overcome. Also, bear in mind that Gibbons uses those 1U Marshall pre-amps from the 90s (JMP-1?) to beef up his signal before it hits the amp(s). I suppose that, at least for his sound, you'll need something comparable to get those strings to sing.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

It's a myth that bigger strings result in bigger or better sound. Why are you using 11s and 12s? What's your reasoning?

But you're right in that the conversion can be a bit problematic as you'd have to get used to a lighter touch. It's not impossible though but you'd like to use lighter strings on all your guitars, even acoustics.

Also, Gibbons has rocked on light strings since day one I believe. Same goes for Jimmy Page and Eddie boy. You don't need stuff to boost your signal to make lighter string sound great.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I admittedly use fairly heavy strings on one of my guitars, but that's because I wanted flat-wound, and that was the lightest they had at the shop. But I've played little enough that I should try all sorts of things instead of getting into a tonal rut.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Xabi posted:

It's a myth that bigger strings result in bigger or better sound. Why are you using 11s and 12s? What's your reasoning?

But you're right in that the conversion can be a bit problematic as you'd have to get used to a lighter touch. It's not impossible though but you'd like to use lighter strings on all your guitars, even acoustics.
This has been an interesting conversation for me, coming from 13s and very high action on a big, old archtop. I've never tried anything less than 13s, and I'll be honest: I was just copying the guitarists I like. I'm kind of curious what thinner strings would sound like (probably not curious enough to put up with fixing the intonation and crap, though). But I'll vouch for the high action; raising it when I first got the guitar really did change the sound.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Acoustics are different from electrics. Archtops are even more different.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
Well, that's what I've always thought, too, but Xabi was talking about acoustics, and it made me realize that I'm pretty sure I've never heard or seen an archtop strung with light strings. It just made me a little curious what the difference would be, if any. Again, not enough to screw around with it myself, but still. (Of course, the point about action is largely due to it being an archtop and the sort of music you traditionally play with an archtop.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The heavy to light change is definitely going to be tough but I think it's going to be worth it. The only downside is that I'll have a tougher time playing fast picked metal stuff for a while but eh, Petrucci prefers to use EB 9s so yeah. It can be done. I'd love it if a few others joined in this little experiment to see how we all fare. I honestly expect that I'm going to come out a better guitarist since being relaxed and having a very light smooth touch is one of the best ways to become faster and cleaner as a player. Now I just need to find how how to get a Les Paul for a non ridiculous price and ill be the most comfortable guitarist possible, haha. (Honestly I've never played an LP but I've been crazy about them lately. They seem so fun to play)