Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

Checking out some Pat Metheny for the first time. Anyone got any recommendations for primarily acoustic-guitar-driven jazz?

Ralph Towner's pretty much the only guy known for doing this who's well regarded and pretty amazing at what he does. He *never* plays electric guitar. He's released all of his albums on ECM, so if you know any ECM stuff you can get an idea of his sound.

I highly recommend Solstice as a starting point because it also has Jan Garbarek on sax and Eberhard Weber on bass, who perfectly complement his sound. He also did a pretty awesome one with Gary Burton (vibraphones) called Matchbook. From here you can go almost anywhere.

In group form (not under his own name), he plays on the album Icarus with the Paul Winter Consort, which was produced by George Martin; afterward he formed Oregon with almost everyone from the Consort except Paul Winter. Music from Another Present Area, Winter Light, and Out of the Woods are good starting places. Both are considered world groups, but are influenced by jazz and certainly aren't new age and are quite good.

And lastly, while it's not jazz (although I suppose you could make an argument it's Indian music with a jazz edge), it's the most amazing acoustic session ever recorded live in my opinion: Shakti, with John Mclaughlin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I really enjoy the music they feature on HBO's Treme and I'd like to learn about, and listen to, more traditional or old school New Orleans jazz. Are there any essential albums I should start with?

Wikipedia tells me I should be looking at blues as well, but I have a kneejerk reaction against the blues thanks to Dan Akroyd.

nmfnl
Jul 28, 2004

SpaceMost posted:

I really enjoy the music they feature on HBO's Treme and I'd like to learn about, and listen to, more traditional or old school New Orleans jazz. Are there any essential albums I should start with?

Wikipedia tells me I should be looking at blues as well, but I have a kneejerk reaction against the blues thanks to Dan Akroyd.

I'd recommend starting by just listening to WWOZ, they play a huge variety of New Orleans music from traditional to current and everything in between. New Orleans music is such a cross-section of genres, its hard to say just limit yourself to jazz and not blues.

If I can recommend one artist though, it would be James Booker. Blew my mind first time I heard him, particularly the album Resurrection of the Bayou Maharajah.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

SpaceMost posted:

This is good, because everyone in this thread should own Louis Armstrong's Hot Fives and Sevens. He's the best of that era, so you should start with that. Also, you want to pick up anything by Sidney Bechet.

For blues, why not start with the best? Check out Robert Johnson. You can't go wrong with him.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

SpaceMost posted:

Wynton Marsalis treats that stuff like classical music, ala preserving and staying true to the style and instrumentation. I'm sure he's got a ton of albums with just dixieland jazz, and you can probably catch him live if you live in a major metropolitan area in the states.

Blues in jazz is different from blues blues. In jazz it's just a general chord progression format that people sometimes use. In blues blues it's an entire genre and closer to rock than anything else I guess.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I was thinking more Professor Longhair. Tipitina is featured in the show a few times; so is Big Chief. Wikipedia tells me it's blues but it definitely doesn't sound like what I think of when I think of blues.

nmfnl
Jul 28, 2004

SpaceMost posted:

I was thinking more Professor Longhair. Tipitina is featured in the show a few times; so is Big Chief. Wikipedia tells me it's blues but it definitely doesn't sound like what I think of when I think of blues.

For Professor Longhair you'll want to look at New Orleans Piano or Rock N' Roll Gumbo. There are also a few live albums of his out there. Similar to Fess, the main names I can think of would be James Booker as I mentioned before, Champion Jack Dupree, Henry Butler, Tuts Washington. Also there's Fats Domino and Dr. John too of course.

I think Fess' style is probably a sort of mix between boogie-woogie and barrelhouse piano, that I've also seen classified as just New Orleans Blues. A lot of New Orleans music seems to straddle many different genres.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Just started listening to some of Erik Jackson's solo records. His album, Rainy Days, is a great jazz fusion record that blends jazz with drum'n'bass. Check it out: http://erikjackson.bandcamp.com/album/rainy-days

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Ima listen to Rainy Days like, right after this post.

Has anyone checked out the new The Bad Plus album, or anything by them? I learned about it from Anthony Fantano's yearly hipster cred album list, and I'm at the point now where if you say the word jazz my ears perk up, plus the title instantly reminds one of BadBadNotGood. And the sound, I think it's very similar to BBNG. It's not quite as hiphop, but it's that genre bending jazz you might expect from BBNG. Plus, they get funky as poo poo. Anyway, I'm diggin this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2We0zoJNL0

Anyway, The Bad Plus, anyone?

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 24, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Ima listen to Rainy Days like, right after this post.

Has anyone checked out the new The Bad Plus album, or anything by them? I learned about it from Anthony Fantano's yearly hipster cred album list, and I'm at the point now where if you say the word jazz my ears perk up, plus the title instantly reminds one of BadBadNotGood. And the sound, I think it's very similar to BBNG. It's not quite as hiphop, but it's that genre bending jazz you might expect from BBNG. Plus, they get funky as poo poo. Anyway, I'm diggin this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2We0zoJNL0

Anyway, The Bad Plus, anyone?

Just checked this out. It's like Thelonious Monk meets Ornette Coleman meets rock meets free jazz/Coltrane-esque hard bop. Bizarre album, but I like it! "In Stitches" is fantastic.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 27, 2012

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Azure_Horizon posted:

Just checked this out. It's like Thelonious Monk meets Ornette Coleman meets rock meets free jazz/Coltrane-esque hard bop. Bizarre album, but I like it! "In Stiches" is fantastic.
I saw them do a 20 minute version of "In Stitches" live, and at the end of the piece the entire audience was in tears and the band sat in silence for around 2 minutes before someone clapped. It was loving incredible.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Stark Fist posted:

I saw them do a 20 minute version of "In Stitches" live, and at the end of the piece the entire audience was in tears and the band sat in silence for around 2 minutes before someone clapped. It was loving incredible.

I'm entirely sure I would feel the same. That is a seriously, SERIOUSLY gorgeous jazz piece.

Pas2
Nov 25, 2002
Made a Spotify playlist with some of my favorite jazz releases from 2012. 2 songs per album, 33 albums featured.
http://open.spotify.com/user/pas2/playlist/0k0QyviTUuygKUBO9JjKxx

It's pretty Finland/Euro-centric, but I guess most of you are that much more likely to find something new to listen to.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
I'm bad about checking this thread, but hey, acoustic jazz guitar came up. Time to link some songs! They're probably mostly not good for the OP, but whatever.

Django also did some beautiful solo work, e.g., Improvisation No. 1 and Nuages. (Both are improvisations. Towards the end of the first, someone signaled to him that the wax was running out, and hey, he was able to improvise a perfect ending, too. The second is truncated, but I can't find the full version on youtube. The actual song Nuages shows up at about 2:15-3:45.)

And sometimes he recorded very different things with the group: Rythme Futur. That's from 1940!

A few contemporary gypsy jazz recordings that are also a little different (but not quite that different):

The Rosenberg Trio: Choti (a pretty waltz), Spain (the Corea song)
Angelo Debarre and Ludovic Beier (accordion): Entre Amis

More generally for acoustic jazz guitar, if you want to get old-fashioned, Marty Grosz is fantastic (be sure to at least check out the second song in this second video, starting just after 2:30). For rhythm guitar, Bucky Pizzarelli's "Five for Freddie" album is a wonderful tribute to Freddie Green, but of course you can also just go to Freddie Green himself.

More solo Django, just because: Belleville (also truncated), Echoes of Spain, Parfum, etc.

Edit: And one more, I can't resist, this performance is too much fun: Rosenberg Trio with Bireli doing For Sephora. Bireli here is about as restrained as I've ever heard him, which makes for a really nice solo.

Edit:

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Also, this is kind of a random request, but I'm seeking some somber clarinet jazz, like the first song off of this Floex album: http://store.floex.cz/album/pocustone

The most prominent clarinetists I know of are Artie Shaw and Benny Goodman, but what I've heard from them is more jaunty and upbeat. And of course Coltrane played clarinet, but likewise what I've heard of that tends to be pretty energetic.
Putte Wickman is very good, and his album with Red Mitchell, "The Very Thought of You," is often slow. It's more old-fashioned than the song you linked, though, if that's an issue. Other recordings ("Stockholm 81" and "Simple Isn't Easy" are the ones I know) also have a bunch of tunes that at least aren't more energetic than what you linked.

Pyrthas fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 3, 2013

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Pyrthas posted:

Edit:
Putte Wickman is very good, and his album with Red Mitchell, "The Very Thought of You," is often slow. It's more old-fashioned than the song you linked, though, if that's an issue. Other recordings ("Stockholm 81" and "Simple Isn't Easy" are the ones I know) also have a bunch of tunes that at least aren't more energetic than what you linked.
Thanks for the suggestions; I'm digging the song samples I'm hearing on Amazon, I may have to pick up one of his albums.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
How have I never heard this album before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc0pcsOUReE

It's bossa nova inspired but it feels a lot more fusion, there's a 60s/70s rock influence in here with the vocal harmonization and chorus.

What other directions should I look? I know about the more straightforward bossa nova stuff, Luis Bonfa, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Joao GIlberto, Astrud Gilberto et al but this is different to my ears... You can tell Herb Alpert produced it too. Has that whipped cream sheen.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Could someone help me out finding another band/singer that makes music similar to this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA2u3CkSEIM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWeNw_QymoQ

I really enjoy very deep and powerful female vocals in my jazz, soul, funk music.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Jack Trades posted:

Could someone help me out finding another band/singer that makes music similar to this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA2u3CkSEIM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWeNw_QymoQ

I really enjoy very deep and powerful female vocals in my jazz, soul, funk music.

The Brand New Heavies came out of that whole late 80s/early 90s Acid Jazz scene (yes the one that birthed Jamiroquai). Really more of a continuation of the global and UK Jazz-Funk/Raregroove scene with some ideas from House and Hip-Hop shaken up in there. To be honest it's never something I'd really call jazz as such, despite the name and the deep roots but whatever.

Anyway the singer in that particular tune is N'dea Davenport who had a solo album out in the late 90s, very similar to the BNH stuff I seem to remember. Though I've not heard it in a decade at least so my memory could be playing tricks. I'd also check out the Young Disciples and their sole album, who's singer Carleen Anderson used to be in the BNH. They did to veer in a more hip-hoppy direction though.

I'd also check out the 3-4 albums D'Influence released, again powerful soulful singing on those. And if you've got a lot of free time I'd just take a gander at all the back catalogues from the late 80s-mid/late 90s of Acid Jazz Records, Talkin' Loud and Dorado Records. They were some of the bigger players in that scene back in the day, so a lot of little gems scattered about.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
The new Wayne Shorter album dropped today, and needless to say it's ridiculous: http://www.npr.org/2013/01/27/170099510/first-listen-wayne-shorter-without-a-net-ii

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I saw Wayne Shorter on that tour he did with Herbie Hancock like 15 years ago and he fuckin' sucked. It totally seemed like he was just phoning it in, and not even phoning it in well. Out of tune, just bad. Herbie was a pro, but I don't know why he put up with it.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I've been told by numerous people that he hasn't practiced in decades. And yeah I saw him live maybe like 6 years ago and he was kind of lovely but had a good band. I think Patitucci was on stand-up.

Here's some from when he wasn't a hack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b0bKz6YA9c
Wild Flower on Speak No Evil with probably the freshest lineup of all time:

Wayne Shorter ts
Freddie Hubbard t
Herbie Hancock p
Ron Carter b
Elvin Jones d

Stark Fist: ridiculous as in good, bad, or just plain ridiculous? There's no audio in your link anymore.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I found this track, Manfredo Fest- Jungle Kitten
http://youtu.be/T132--erIgo
I haven't found this anywhere else, my 40 year jazz vet great uncle has never heard of it, and it's not on iTunes. Who is he and where can I get this album?

Seriously, who the hell is this?

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 7, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Smoking Crow posted:

I found this track, Manfredo Fest- Jungle Kitten
http://youtu.be/T132--erIgo
I haven't found this anywhere else, my 40 year jazz vet great uncle has never heard of it, and it's not on iTunes. Who is he and where can I get this album?

Seriously, who the hell is this?

Wikipedia will definitely help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manfredo_Fest

Also that track is excellent. Wow. You can buy the LP here at Dustygroove: http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=z5nm58xgqc

Looks like it's unavailable outside of vinyl format.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 7, 2013

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Stark Fist: ridiculous as in good, bad, or just plain ridiculous? There's no audio in your link anymore.
My bad, NPR was streaming the record for a week or two before it released. The record's loving awesome. Better than Footprints Live and Beyond the Sound Barrier, by my estimate. The centerpiece is a composition he wrote for a wind quintet and his quartet, and it's totally unbelievable. He rarely shreds like any of the younger guys or anything but the best part about Wayne is how he knows exactly when to interject and turn poo poo up to 11. His band is so receptive to every little change that you can never tell what's going to happen next.

Make sure you listen on a decent pair of speakers or headphones though, the dynamic range is really big and my first listen on my laptop didn't do the subtlety of the music any justice, especially in regards to Brian Blade.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 7, 2013

Pas2
Nov 25, 2002

Stark Fist posted:

My bad, NPR was streaming the record for a week or two before it released. The record's loving awesome. Better than Footprints Live and Beyond the Sound Barrier, by my estimate. The centerpiece is a composition he wrote for a wind quintet and his quartet, and it's totally unbelievable. He rarely shreds like any of the younger guys or anything but the best part about Wayne is how he knows exactly when to interject and turn poo poo up to 11. His band is so receptive to every little change that you can never tell what's going to happen next.

Make sure you listen on a decent pair of speakers or headphones though, the dynamic range is really big and my first listen on my laptop didn't do the subtlety of the music any justice, especially in regards to Brian Blade.

It's now available on Spotify http://open.spotify.com/album/3iEfbr1YRsGDXMSF5MJN5b

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Kurt Rosenwinkle and his quartet are playing in Cambridge, MA (like, an hour from me) in a couple months, should I go? I saw him in Paris a year ago in a tiny club and it was pretty much as good as it gets. 28 bucks sounds fair enough though for some mind blowing, ripping music.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Just saw this over in SA-Mart, but someone is selling 500 goddamn Jazz albums. He's asking quite a bit but not all that much per-CD if you think about it. Just figure some of you might be interested.

enterthemirror
Feb 19, 2013
Has anyone listened to Hasidic New Wave - The Complete Recordings? I know it was released months ago but there's a review in the latest NYC Jazz Record that sounds pretty interesting. Is it worth checking out?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

So a co-worker recommended that I check out albums featuring Chet Baker and Gerry Mulligan, but I have no idea which ones to look at and I can't ask him until the week. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

thegloaming posted:

So a co-worker recommended that I check out albums featuring Chet Baker and Gerry Mulligan, but I have no idea which ones to look at and I can't ask him until the week. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Chet Baker I'm not a huge fan of, but Gerry Mulligan has a great underrated album with Stan Getz called Getz Meets Mulligan in Hi-Fi. He also did the arrangements on Birth of the Cool.

Edit: I'm an idiot, Chet Baker played with Gerry Mulligan. His best album was The Original Quartet With Chet Baker. Fun fact: they got each other into heroin.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 3, 2013

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Just figured I'd recommend a couple things. First band is apropos of the Django Reinhardt post a bit earlier in the thread. You guys should check out Hot Club of Detroit, they basically play a sort of Django-inspired gypsy jazz, except not quite as reverent as most other Hot Club of <place> bands. I mean, I guess it is reverent in a way as they obviously love Django's music, but they take a lot more liberties with the style. Check out their rendition of the Godfather theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCucD4g7s4I

This is also a pretty rocken live version of one of the songs on their last album, with a guest violinist (who kinda fails at the theme of the song, but in his defense he'd probably never played it before in his life and had to read it off a sheet - his solo's loving awesome though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIHOWnkXXKk

The other recommendation is in response to alansmithee, who complained about the lack of lyrics in jazz. Here's a style of jazz called vocalese, which replaces most instruments with vocals and lyrics. Jon Hendricks is pretty amazing in that regard. Here's Freddie Freeloader (with Bobby McFerrin, Al Jarreau, and George Benson):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FaMtXw2mRE

And while not outright vocalese, he's a pretty awesome cover of Moanin':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldXi8bs6PSw

negative x
Jan 28, 2009

JAZZ.
My name is Joe Clark and I'm a trumpeter and arranger in Chicago. I started a big band and we recently released a new album - LUSH. This is my very first album as a leader and it features drummer Jeff Hamilton (of Clayton-Hamilton Big Band fame).

Here's a cut! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25PAnnDj8fw

I think this is an exciting time for big band jazz. There are a bunch of great writers (Jim McNeely, Darcy James Argue, John Fedchock, Tom Matta, etc. etc.) who are writing really unique compositions and are at the top of their game. Since it's pretty tricky to get a group of 20ish musicians together to play technical music, their projects are a labor of love and I think you can definitely hear that.

Also, for what it's worth, I truly and deeply disagree with the idea that Wayne Shorter is a hack. He's definitely not in the Brecker/Potter/Redman school (which I also love, don't get me wrong), but he's been a true innovator on the saxophone and--much more importantly--as a composer. The guy is 80 years old and it's pretty astounding that he's recording music at all, let alone still changing and developing as an artist. Just my 2 cents!

Also also:

SpaceMost posted:

Do you have Rebirth Brass Band's "Feel Like Funkin' It Up"? Or New Birth Brass Band's "D-Boy"?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Hey that's pretty cool. As someone active in the scene, what albums and bands do you think are must-hears in modern big band? I've listened to a little Clayton-Hamilton but that's about it. I listen to a lot of older arranged stuff like Gil Evans, Quincy Jones, Ellington, and Mingus.

Lmao about Wayne Shorter though. No doubt he was an innovator in his time, but as one of the few old school dudes still active, he's kind of fallen off. I've seen some old rear end dudes play at Yoshi's like Ron Carter and Ahmad Jamal and they still had it for sure.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

One guy that I like for big band that you don't hear a lot of is Bob Belden. He's pretty interesting - Black Dahlia is a really cool album and the rest of his stuff is repurposed pop music, but his arrangements tend to give the songs a unique twist.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
That's pretty awesome stuff, Mr. Clark. Thanks for sharing with us! Keep us updated on any future music. :)

negative x
Jan 28, 2009

JAZZ.
Thanks guys!

Seventh Arrow posted:

Bob Belden - Black Dahlia

Oh hell yes, that's a GREAT album. That first chord kills me every time. I hear they recorded that whole album in one big room in about 4 hours. Absolutely insane to think about pulling that off and sounding so good.

Just a couple of albums on my "must hears in modern large ensemble jazz" list:

Paul Klee - Swiss Jazz Orchestra
A Blessing - John Hollenbeck
The Way: The Music of Slide Hampton - Vanguard Jazz Orchestra
Infernal Machines - Darcy James Argue's Secret Society
A Single Sky - Dave Douglas
The Good Feeling - Christian McBride Big Band
Travail, Transformation, and Flow - Steve Lehman Octet (I know, not technically a big band, but MAN is this a happening album. No one is writing like Steve Lehman right now.)

Also, if you don't have Maria Schneider's "Evanescence" or Jim McNeely/Vanguard's "Lickety Split"-- they're from the 90s but I highly, highly, highly recommend them.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Scarf posted:

I know it's still 2 days out, but since I'll hopefully be on the road to New Orleans soon... Happy Jazz Fest yall.

Rebirth Brass Band - Do Whatcha Wanna

Kermit Ruffins - Treme Second Line

Shamarr Allen - Meet me on Frenchman Street

Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews and Wynton Marsalis

I'd like to bring up New Orleans/Dixieland jazz again. Seeing as how New Orleans had a pretty major impact on the development of American jazz, it seems like a glaring omission from the OP. I don't know much about its origins and development, but I do know a little about its current form and pay attention to current artists.

From what I gather, a lot of New Orleans jazz was originally tied closely to Mardi Gras in the same way that samba groups are so closely associated with Carnaval. Lots of groups that were known only locally formed the bulk of the music and had the most influence on the sound we think of as Dixieland. Artists like Louis Armstrong, Al Hirt, Jim Cullum are some of the earliest well-known names that I can think of. A lot of the songs were traditionals, hymns, and gospel, and the instrumentation was influenced pretty heavily by ragtime, blues, and military marching bands. You all know When the Saints Come Marching In and a lot of you would recognize St James Infirmary immediately. Tiger Rag was another popular one. From the marching band influence came a brass and woodwind-heavy core, and bass drums and tuba provided a lot of the rhythm and foundation. Structurally, the music is polyphonic and frequently several of the "front" instruments are loosely following whoever is leading the melody with variations on that melody. I'm not a music major, so my description of the sound should probably be amended by someone more knowledgeable.

At any rate, the Preservation Hall Jazz Band is a good place to start. These guys have been around for a long time keeping the tradition alive.
St James Infirmary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5VDMbeBsDQ

I'm a big fan of some of the modern New Orleans artists and bands.
The Dirty Dozen Brass Band is my favorite. They have some pretty amazing energy together, and give incredibly tight performances while sounding completely unhinged and rowdy at the same time. Every show is a party. I've seen these guys about a dozen times, and was fortunate enough to hang out with them backstage before one of their shows. If you're holding, you pretty much get free admission to kick it with them. The trumpet player, Efram Townes is a riot, and the band pretty often comes out and mingles with the crowd before shows and during set breaks, which is awesome.
Ain't Nothin' But a Party https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXDzhPM8nJk
Feet Can't Fail Me Now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU89y-AWDSg You clap on the upbeat.

Rebirth Brass Band - These cats are just awesome. I went to a professional conference in New Orleans a couple years ago and they were the surprise band at one of our evening socials.
Big Chief https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhwoGVbY9xU
Also see Do Whatcha Wanna in Scarf's post that I quoted above.

Scarf mentioned Trombone Shorty, who I'm only recently aware of. I haven't seen him and only have one album, Backatown. Which I recommend.

Galactic is a fun band. Their sound constantly changes. They seem to constantly be channeling traditional New Orleans jazz while toeing the funk jazz line, and recently moved toward hip hop and rock influences. They're kind of a brainchild of Stanton Moore, who is probably one of the best living drummers. Most of his work is on the funk/groove/weird side of modern jazz. He's made albums with Charlie Hunter, Mike Dillon, Skerik, and plenty of other oddballs. He should probably have his own post, actually.
For Galactic's most traditional stuff, look at the album Crazyhorse Mongoose (here's the title track:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dFA3hoAwQ), Coolin' Off (Church:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA3SOU8aj4U), and We Love 'em Tonight - Live at Tipitina's.

I just found out about the Soul Rebels Brass Band recently, and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpfejSJknuU. Don't know much about them, but that's loving tight.

In short, New Orleans always has and still does produce some very important jazz. The modern stuff is about the grooviest I've found. It's usually not jazz to think about, but jazz to move to. But if you want to think about it, you can do that too.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 9, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I'm working a graveyard shift tonight, so I threw up a dixieland section in the OP for you.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm working a graveyard shift tonight, so I threw up a dixieland section in the OP for you.

Thanks for that.
Here's Louis Armstrong saying "Cheesecake gobble gobble cheesecake." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqrhdYQ_wMg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Azure_Horizon posted:

I know this thread is by no means a definitive history of Jazz, but as someone who has a passion for NOLA jazz, in my opinion it's still missing some of the key innovators and inventors of jazz: Buddy Bolden, Jelly Roll Morton, and King Oliver are credited with inventing and popularizing jazz music from altering ragtime pieces. And it was incredibly popular well before Armstrong came onto the scene. Most of America was already listening to Stride and Ragtime.

Without Bolden, we wouldn't have The Big Four beat.

• Locked thread