Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

My best friend's mother used to feed a flock of wild peacocks, so the birds were always hanging around their property. They lived on 5 acres in a wooded, rural area and the birds would roost in the trees at night. In the afternoons, the peacocks would come over to the house for their dried corn supper. The neighbors hated peacocks but I always liked them and didn't even mind their exotic, LOUD calls. A lot less annoying than a barking dog, I thought, plus the peacock males were so beautiful and fun to watch. I loved their rattling tail feathers as they showed off for their girls. Just fantastic! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I'm ordering Cackle's Hatchery Surprise! Can't wait to have fowl on the farm again. From reading, it looks like I'll probably get 30-40 chickens, a couple turkeys and a couple ducks! Not a bad deal for $60.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional posted:

I'm ordering Cackle's Hatchery Surprise! Can't wait to have fowl on the farm again. From reading, it looks like I'll probably get 30-40 chickens, a couple turkeys and a couple ducks! Not a bad deal for $60.

There's a loooong thread about the "Cackle Hatchery Surprise" over on backyardchickens.com forums. Sounds like usually 1/3 of the chickens that people receive are males, but customers are still really happy with this special. Sounds like a great deal (if you don't mind a lot of roos). Let us know when and what you end up getting! :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Inveigle posted:

There's a loooong thread about the "Cackle Hatchery Surprise" over on backyardchickens.com forums. Sounds like usually 1/3 of the chickens that people receive are males, but customers are still really happy with this special. Sounds like a great deal (if you don't mind a lot of roos). Let us know when and what you end up getting! :)

Now you know what the 'surprise' is. :keke:

Seriously, make sure to post pics unprofessional, and let us see what you get! :) I can just imagine how LOUD that box is gonna be at the PO.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Just placed my order! :smug:

My note on selection to Cackle: "The weirder, the better!"

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

unprofessional posted:

Just placed my order! :smug:

My note on selection to Cackle: "The weirder, the better!"

Awesome! Can't wait to see what you get!

I didn't get the surprise, but I did order my ladies through Cackle last February and was very happy. Other than a few pasty butts the first couple of days all ten chicks did great and we only got 1 accidental roo out of the ten. And all 4 hens that we kept are very sociable and have weathered the Idaho winter well (though not necessarily happily).

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
I just got my Cackle Hatchery catalog in the mail yesterday! Oh dear, all the different varieties!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

piscesbobbie posted:

I just got my Cackle Hatchery catalog in the mail yesterday! Oh dear, all the different varieties!

Now I'm looking at pics of various breeds on Cackle's web site. Look! German Spitzhaubens! Awwww...the head feathers! :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Inveigle posted:

Now I'm looking at pics of various breeds on Cackle's web site. Look! German Spitzhaubens! Awwww...the head feathers! :D

Dalmation chickens! Those are very pretty. I'll have to research and see if they are winter/heat tolerant.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Check out red-shouldered yokohamas for a really beautiful chicken.

I informed the wife through email this morning that I ordered chickens.

she posted:

"not very happy about the chickens, though."
Whoops! :angel:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional posted:

Check out red-shouldered yokohamas for a really beautiful chicken.

I informed the wife through email this morning that I ordered chickens.
Whoops! :angel:

Wow! The red-shouldered yokohamas are really interesting! I hope you get a couple in your order!

What's the matter with your wife? Doesn't she like adorable chickens? Do you all plan to eat the turkeys later on?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I had a tentative ok on getting some chickens this spring, but never ran the specifics by her. It won't be a big deal, especially since I'll do all the caring for them, and I've already had a few coworkers say they'll take some chicks. I mean, I've made a lot stupider impulse purchases before.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

piscesbobbie posted:

Dalmation chickens! Those are very pretty. I'll have to research and see if they are winter/heat tolerant.

I briefly considered them. If you recall, I wanted a colorful egg basket and wanted a cold hardy variety that lays white eggs. Mypetchicken describes them as spritely and active. They are great foragers meaning that your feed costs will be less. The downside is that don’t like to be confined, which is a necessity in my urban location.

If you have the room and looking for breeds that do well free ranging, they would be a solid, economical and productive choice.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Inveigle posted:

Do you all plan to eat the turkeys later on?
Forgot to answer this. I love turkeys, so hopefully I'll get a pair and can have more. We have 30 acres, which includes about 30 wild turkeys living in our woods. I can't wait to eat some turkey eggs, too!

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.

Bantaras posted:

Wish us luck!
We just put our first batch of Wheaten Marans in the incubator this morning!
20 eggs in the oven and if I get 50% I'll be very happy!

(the light brown egg in the pic is for contrast - it's what we USED to call 'brown' before we got Marans!)

Day 4 behind us!
Everything is good and all systems go

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

unprofessional posted:

Forgot to answer this. I love turkeys, so hopefully I'll get a pair and can have more. We have 30 acres, which includes about 30 wild turkeys living in our woods. I can't wait to eat some turkey eggs, too!

Since you aren't getting any kind of choice or idea of what and how many birds you'll be getting, what will you do with the heavies you get, especially things like Cornish Cross birds? Do you plan on eating them? Do you have someone to rehome unwanted birds with?

We've got wild turkeys around here, we see them in the fields sometimes, they're awesome. :)

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Velvet Sparrow posted:

We desperately need video of the apple bobbing contest. :keke: Beautiful birds!

It took me a while but we finally got something for you!
here's a youtube link:
http://youtu.be/fRQHkDRLg8Y

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Bantaras posted:

here's a youtube link:

Bantaras! LOVE that video! The Wheaton Marans, are they friendly chickens? They are so beautiful, the colors remind me of the Salmon Faverolles. Thank you so much for sharing! :)

Edit: Wheaten Marans - also, I love their floppy combs!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 7, 2013

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Since you aren't getting any kind of choice or idea of what and how many birds you'll be getting, what will you do with the heavies you get, especially things like Cornish Cross birds? Do you plan on eating them? Do you have someone to rehome unwanted birds with?

We've got wild turkeys around here, we see them in the fields sometimes, they're awesome. :)
Cornish cross type birds will be delicious. I have a few coworkers who have expressed an interest in some chicks, so I'll probably be left with less than 20, which I can deal with. They'll be free ranged on the farm, so there'll probably be losses over time, but keeping a few good roosters will help with that.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Bantaras posted:

here's a youtube link:

AHAHA, the way they try and track the bitten-out spot as the apple spins wildly... :keke:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Ship date: 2/25/13

:cool:

Citizen Insane
Oct 7, 2004

We come in to the world and we have to go, but we do not go merely to serve the turn of one enemy or another.
I just spent two days going through this thread and I think I have a problem, the problem being I want a banty army. :(

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Citizen Insane posted:

I just spent two days going through this thread and I think I have a problem, the problem being I want a banty army. :(

Just imagine how much fun it would be to have your adorable banty army running to meet you when you get home! :)

Watch video and it will give you a good idea what to expect from a banty army!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhc5YZZjTY

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Inveigle posted:

Just imagine how much fun it would be to have your adorable banty army running to meet you when you get home! :)

LOVE that video! I think VS should get us a video of her banty chickens, Bloop and company! Pretty Please Velvet Sparrow? :worship:

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Bantams are a description of size not a breed of chicken video person! And those look like Cochins to me which are super adorable waddling up to see people, the video doesnt capture the swish swish swish swish noise of them running though.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Bantams are a description of size not a breed of chicken video person! And those look like Cochins to me which are super adorable waddling up to see people, the video doesnt capture the swish swish swish swish noise of them running though.

Tim, you know what you have to do... for :science:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Chido posted:

Tim, you know what you have to do... for :science:

I agree with you Chido! Tim, PRETTY PLEASE, a video of bantam Cochin chickens running up to see you, or how about the Silkies? Silkies considered bantam?

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ill see about it. Most types of chickens come in two sizes, Bantam and Standard,Silkies you see in the US are all going to be Bantams while the ones you will find in Europe will be Standards.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Ill see about it. Most types of chickens come in two sizes, Bantam and Standard,Silkies you see in the US are all going to be Bantams while the ones you will find in Europe will be Standards.

Wait, silkies come in bigger size? :swoon:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^ Yes, they do.

Inveigle posted:

Chicken armies in general rock.

Those Cochins are MUCH too calm, they stay on the footpath rather than cackling madly, throwing themselves into the air & flapping as they tear across the garden, destroying any plants in their way. Person filming clearly had NO FOOD.

I'd recorded Bloop chasing my kid up and down the hallway (she was playing Hide & Seek with him) months ago and forgot about it, I'll see what I can do about transferring it to YouTube.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I love my chickens more every day!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

^^^Your chickens are beautiful, wish they had that breed here!

Chido posted:

Wait, silkies come in bigger size? :swoon:

Chido, you have me laughing so hard! I can see you getting a Standard Silkie gal for Roostroyer! Imagine, a Standard Silkie and Standard Brahma mix?:eyepop:

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 9, 2013

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Unfortunately, silkies are one of the few true bantam breeds, so no giant bantys are to be had!

Though, thinking of crosses, it'd be easy to go black silkie to black black jersey giant and get a decent looking bird in a few generations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Armed Neutrality posted:

I love my chickens more every day!

You should share these pics with feathersite.com, best pics of that breed I've seen to date.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

unprofessional posted:

Unfortunately, silkies are one of the few true bantam breeds, so no giant bantys are to be had!

Though, thinking of crosses, it'd be easy to go black silkie to black black jersey giant and get a decent looking bird in a few generations.

Silkies arent a true Bantam breed though, In standard Silkies in Europe it's not unusual for there to be 6 LB males, the bantam variety we have in the US is from crossing standard Silkies with bantam Cochins in the early 1900's. Even the bantam Silkies in the US are on the large side for bantam classification.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Just as Tim said, our US Silkies are oddly between bantams & standards, although I've had a couple of truly petite little Silkie ladies. :)

Check out feathersite's Silkies page for side-by-side bantam/standard pics (also, paint Silkies!)
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Silkies/BRKSilkies.html

I laughed when I saw my friend Jenny's 'Booblit' there--Booblit is so named because as a freshly-hatched incubator chick she had to spend some time housed in Jenny's bra for warmth when a power outage struck. :keke:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
That's interesting about the different sized silkies - I've always just read they only come in bantam sizes.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Bantaras posted:

Thanks! I build these at my sign shop.
I made it for my son to kind of give him some pride in his backyard chicken egg business. We got some clip-art off the web for the logo.
As for the feeder itself, I based it off of some of the old-style canister feeders like these:

After I made a couple for our two coops, a few friends in town that also have chickens saw them and asked me to do the same for them! The first was a nice lady that has a granddaughter who helps her with her flock and the other was a fellow who wanted something special for his daughter who is in 4H. This is what I came up with:

I am making a few to be used as trophies for a small chicken swap coming up (First and Second place) and another friend wants one but I told him he had to design his own logo so we're waiting on the artwork.

As for the feeder, it works great! It is adjustable so you can control how much feed comes out and there is an inverted funnel inside so that the feed is distributed evenly. The eye bolt is welded in so spin from wind or being bumped around won't cause it to come apart and fall.
My son loves his and I think he points it out to visitors even before he shows the actual chickens!

I'm planning on making a few like "I love my Rhode Island Red" (or whatever) and maybe sell those at the fair.

Good news on the feeder front!
Today I was ecstatic to find out that I was granted licensing rights to use some great artwork from a famous poultry artist! (yes there is such a person)
I can now use some quality images on the feeders featuring various breeds. So now if someone wanted a breed-specific feeder for RIR's or Silkies I can now provide that with a nice beautiful portrait of said breed. More importantly it's a picture that's not stolen off the interwebs and I won't go to jail.

This is actually pretty big news for me. There is really very little available in the public domain that looks good, and paying a graphic artist was getting pricey!
Wish me luck.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Bantaras posted:

Today I was ecstatic to find out that I was granted licensing rights to use some great artwork from a famous poultry artist! (yes there is such a person)
I can now use some quality images on the feeders featuring various breeds. So now if someone wanted a breed-specific feeder for RIR's or Silkies I can now provide that with a nice beautiful portrait of said breed. More importantly it's a picture that's not stolen off the interwebs and I won't go to jail.

This is actually pretty big news for me. There is really very little available in the public domain that looks good, and paying a graphic artist was getting pricey!
Wish me luck.

Congratulations! Said artist did the artwork you are showing now? Are those Buff Brahma chickens? Beautiful artwork!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Bantaras posted:

Wish me luck.

This is super neat. Who's the artist who sold you a license? :3: And yes! Someone has to illustrate stuff like that~ It's usually always watercolor and has a sort of "classic" look to it. A lot of food centric watercolor artists make a good living licensing their work for plates, pillows, napkins, you name it.

Also you should be more worried about taking someone's work that they worked hard to create, not that you'll go to jail. :shobon: