Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Fuoco posted:

If there were any Aussie goons planning on going to the Kpop Heart concert, I've got bad news:

I'm feeling relieved now that I didn't but a ticket. The whole thing seemed kinda dodgy.

I get the feeling the Aus2One are just a bunch of Kpop fans who really want to bring this stuff to here, but due to their lack of expertise they're probably doing more damage than good.

After the time they had a video of SNSD endorsing them and then a crawl afterwards saying "Hey SNSD might or might not be here, better buy a ticket!" then spent the next week denying SNSD would appear they seemed a bit spurious.

Which is a bummer because I totally want to see B.E.G.'s in concert.

Where's our SMTOWN >.<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Why the hell isn't SBS doing this? They've organised concerts before in Australia Sydney.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why the hell isn't SBS doing this? They've organised concerts before in Australia Sydney.

What concerts have they organised? The closest one I can think of is maybe Nu'est's appearance last year. If you're thinking of the 2011 K-Pop Music Fest, that was JK Entertainment.

It'd be difficult for SBS to coordinate a concert that's exclusively Kpop, as they already get a lot of poo poo for the large amounts of Kpop they play in comparison to other Asian pop. I mean...they could do it, but the weeaboo rage would be incredible.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Ah, I thought the last couple of Australian concerts SBS covered on PopAsia were organised by them as well.

Also, gently caress weaboos. Jpop seems far more toxic to me than anything produced in Korea, at least with regards to their fanbase that is. I checked out the "Who's covering up Tomomi Kasai's boobs?" thread in GBS (because who doesn't love boobs?) and I really wish I hadn't now because the phrase "AKB48 semen handshake" told me more about the minds of Jpop fans than I ever wanted to know.

Also one their members was once so harassed after going on a single date she ended up shaving her head in penance and begging her fans' forgiveness.

Also, also:

Fans meeting the group (often after spending a couple thousand dollars buying huge numbers of their CDs to win their chance) have to be held by someone behind them at all time. Occasionally the creeps work together and throw nasty bugs at the girls too. Charming :allears:

A far cry from that time some T-ara fans limply threw eggs on the ground near their company HQ.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Let's not bring that poo poo in here please!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Fair enough. To make up for it, here's the cutest, sweetest Kpop video I've seen in the last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LtVvmSYoN0

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

How long does it generally take for rookie groups to start making fun variety show appearances? I wanna see more GLAM~~~

Selane
May 19, 2006

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

How long does it generally take for rookie groups to start making fun variety show appearances? I wanna see more GLAM~~~

Depends. If you are from a big company with clout, even trash groups can show up right away after debut. If not, well, good luck. (I'm too lazy to look up their company)

I guess you might have a shot with weekly idol, since the name is pretty self-explanatory and they go through quite a few groups.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

http://www.kshownow.net/2013/02/infinite-challenge-314-english-subs.html

New IC :woop:

Is this the most recent episode?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it's not it can't be far out, as 312 was the Psy in New York one, and that's 314. Damnit, I need 313 to be done to finish the NY story!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Variety Spotlight: Strong Heart

Finished: Yes
Episodes: 166 (According to Wikipedia)
Starring: Everyone. Just... everyone.
Available: Fansubs from various sources

A "talk battle" of sorts, Strong Heart would feature a large number of special guests and regulars each week to engage in friendly banter and general goofing off. The meat of the show, however, involved the guests sharing stories and having them weighed against one another to see who was the "Strong Heart" of the show. One person would tell a story, another person would tell a story, whoever had the "better" story would win, and then another person's story would be shared and compared to the previous winner.

Guests would title their tales on boards next to them, the MCs would pick a guest at random, and then the guest would tell their tale. Stories would range from the amusing, to the interesting, to the revealing, to the emotional. The greatest stories ever told by Korea's greatest stars have been told on this show.

And as I said, aside from the stories and the talk battle concept, there was the general conversations and goofing off and good nature to be had that you get from pretty much any Korean variety show. Thanks to recurring guests and mainstays, there was a very amusing "glue" that held everything together, like Nancy Lang and her camera, and the birth of Boom-Teuk Academy and the embarassing pictures segment.

When it first started, the show was hosted by the duo of Kang Ho-Dong and Lee Seung-Gi. After Kang Ho-Dong took a leave of absence from the entertainment industry, Lee Seung-Gi would go on to host by himself for over a year before leaving himself. New hosts took over in the form of Shin Dong Yeop and Lee Dong Wook, until the show finally came to an end. Today, in fact.

There may or may not be a functioning community subbing this show. I've heard of "Strong Heard Subs," but I honestly do not know if they are a still-existing group or defunct. You will find subs for some early episodes, and you will find subs for episodes here and there from other communities based on who are guesting in an episode. I also believe kshownow has some abysmal subs for more recent episodes.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So due to all the hype for IRIS 2, I marathoned the first series over the past few days. Just finished it a couple minutes ago.

I'll post more detailed thoughts on the show as a whole later. For now I just wanted to say: gently caress YOU, SHOW.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Anyone watching Flower Boy Next Door? Cheesy title I know, but it's surprisingly pretty adorable. The lead actress is a recluse while the lead actor is a happy go lucky guy who has his own share of problems. I'm normally not much of a Park Shin Hye fan, but this role suits her and watching her grapple with her loneliness is endearing. On ep 5 right now, if I like it maybe I'll do a fancy spotlight thing too!

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!

Corn Thongs posted:

Anyone watching Flower Boy Next Door? Cheesy title I know, but it's surprisingly pretty adorable. The lead actress is a recluse while the lead actor is a happy go lucky guy who has his own share of problems. I'm normally not much of a Park Shin Hye fan, but this role suits her and watching her grapple with her loneliness is endearing. On ep 5 right now, if I like it maybe I'll do a fancy spotlight thing too!

Your opinion is completely and utterly wrong. That being said, Flower Boy Next Door is awesome, not in small part because of Yoon Shi Yoon as Enrique. He wasn't too bad in Me Too, Flower but I think he's really come into his own in this.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I was pretty neutral about her until she utterly ruined the 007 ep of Running Man :mad: But really, the leads are some of the most likable I've seen in a long time in a Korean rom-com. I saw the lead actor in some King Baker show which seemed too serious for me, but he (and Shin Hye okay) are great here.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Strong Heart

I caught ep 165 of Strongheart and I basically only watch it for guests I want to see (SNSD or any of the RM cast). I don't find it interesting in its entirety and would generally skip right to the segments with the people I want to see (unlike happy together, which I actually can watch throughout).

That being said the SNSD portions of 165 that did appear were great. I seriously want to go drinking with Hyoyeon, she sounds like an awesome (hilarious) person to go party with.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Lyer posted:

I caught ep 165 of Strongheart and I basically only watch it for guests I want to see (SNSD or any of the RM cast). I don't find it interesting in its entirety and would generally skip right to the segments with the people I want to see (unlike happy together, which I actually can watch throughout).

If I only watched the people I liked on Strong Heart, I would have missed out on discovering a bunch of new people and hearing a bunch of amazing stories.

Strong Heart is where I first learned about Kwanghee.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I'm the same way as Lyer, but if you avoid the 'cuts' you generally wind up seeing cool new people that you want to find out more about.

Like Running Man, I watch for the main cast, but still check out the awesome guests on occasion.

Also f(x) at SXSW this year, who's going?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
M Countdown is the latest Korean music show to be added to Hulu. I'm still amazed by this.

Also amazing? Iris 2 is already available. I should probably get around to watching Athena, but I'm currently watching another series, so I gotta finish that up first.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
BBC World News is airing a cut down version of a documentary about Nine Muses in about 5 hours from this post, then again sometime today/tomorrow depending on your time zone. The trailers for the original documentary seemed dramatically over the top so I'm morbidly interested in how much it goes into the more unsavory parts of being an idol (probably nothing the company didn't sign off on, I know, but still.)

Selane
May 19, 2006

Sacro posted:

BBC World News is airing a cut down version of a documentary about Nine Muses in about 5 hours from this post, then again sometime today/tomorrow depending on your time zone. The trailers for the original documentary seemed dramatically over the top so I'm morbidly interested in how much it goes into the more unsavory parts of being an idol (probably nothing the company didn't sign off on, I know, but still.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R6WyzXWyT-k

@ryusera103 posted:

I watched the documentary myself It doesn't hurt me anymore Don't worry.. I still love singing... And I have u guys

Just confirms what I already knew, that Sera is awesome. Like during the end credits where they're mentioning what happened to each of the members, then you realize that the background music is actually Sera singing live in the practice room.

I remember the insane negative feedback they got around the time of their debut, but the members improved a lot and their songs have pretty much been nonstop awesome for a while now for reasons I shouldn't need to get into.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
So, this just happened.

http://youtu.be/R8tCrDlZIaw

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

But that isn't even the Harlem Shake. What the heck is up with this internet phenomenon?

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Min, Amber, Jo Kwon. All the cool kids are in this.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
You forgot Minzy.

In unrelated news, K-Pop Star 2 has been added to Hulu. Holy poo poo.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
FYI Daebaksubs has released Infinity Challenge Ep 313, which is Part 2 of their trip to NY to perform Gangnam Style with Psy.

http://www.daebaksubs.com/2013/02/eng-infinity-challenge-ep-313-full.html

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
That owns so much. Look how happy they are to be there! Those three together are magical. Psy is a really funny guy, too! Not that I'm surprised, really. But that was some good TV. Even though I cringed a bit when they JUMPED aboard the fan boy train to MC Hammer-Ville

Unrelatedly, I just saw the very first episode of Invincible Youth, and it was the sweetest thing. The actual Sweetest Thing. But the rest of the show is so dang hard to find - or is it just me? I even gave Soshified money, but their videos seem to have vanished. Any tips? (I hope that isn't :filez:, the show doesn't exist outside SK, does it?)

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

http://ithetimes.wordpress.com/kbs2-invincible-youth-season-1-eng-sub/

Keep in mind that the quality isn't what you're used too, but the rest of the s1 is there.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
"This video contains material from IMX, and is blocked in your country for copyright reasons" :qq:

fake edit: Hm, some of the videos work.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Bobfly posted:

Unrelatedly, I just saw the very first episode of Invincible Youth, and it was the sweetest thing. The actual Sweetest Thing. But the rest of the show is so dang hard to find - or is it just me? I even gave Soshified money, but their videos seem to have vanished. Any tips? (I hope that isn't :filez:, the show doesn't exist outside SK, does it?)

Are you sure you're looking in the right place? I just checked on Soshified and the links all seem to be working. Are you sure you checked the correct subforum?

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Looks like a lot of their files for the initial shows got bumped off. I know that Bradster wanted to setup a torrent before.

I cant find any reliable sites for the videos besides itimes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Invincible Youth 1, I remember someone saying they were going to take the raws of the episodes Soshified didn't translate, and use the KBS subs as guidelines to create better-quality videos and subs for the remaining episodes. Whatever happened with that (you know, besides it not happening thus far)?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Are the Soshified videos any decent quality? The saddest thing about IY1 was how much of a missed opportunity IY2 was.

Bradster
Aug 14, 2004

Ryan Reynolds brings a brilliant new form of acting in every movie he does!

Jamesman posted:

Speaking of Invincible Youth 1, I remember someone saying they were going to take the raws of the episodes Soshified didn't translate, and use the KBS subs as guidelines to create better-quality videos and subs for the remaining episodes. Whatever happened with that (you know, besides it not happening thus far)?

I was the one working on this and I've actually made a little progress. I have only typed a few episode scripts out so far and haven't touched the timing at all, but I do know how time subtitles. This will end up taking a while as I'm not consistently working on it in anyway... but I will get it finished eventually. The raws are just really good quality and I feel like it's worth it since I enjoyed the show so much.

Bobfly posted:

TEHJOE posted:

Looks like a lot of their files for the initial shows got bumped off. I know that Bradster wanted to setup a torrent before.

I cant find any reliable sites for the videos besides itimes.

Soshi and iheartfx releases only. The pikeyenny rips of KBS World are just so bad and you can get them off the blog.

Download torrent81 (44 files; 35.74 GB)
View torrent stats

Bradster fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 24, 2013

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Oh wow, this is super cool! Thanks for doing that, man. And the rest of you, too, for helping me find episodes.

This is such a heartwarming show - even if it does go somewhat overboard with it at times.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008
Probation

Jamesman posted:

You forgot Minzy.

In unrelated news, K-Pop Star 2 has been added to Hulu. Holy poo poo.

Episodes 2 & 3 are up for it now too. They're putting them up at a fairly impressive rate. If Akdong Musician don't get a contract out of this I'll be surprised - at least one of their songs have been in the Top 10 charts pretty much every week since they debuted on K-Pop Star 2.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008
Probation
What is it with Korean dramas and gender-bender/crossdressing themes? Especially ones set in schools? Every time I see one all I can think of is the sheer stupidity of the girls involved and how it doesn't cross their minds even once that any certification they get from the school would be useless (and the years wasted) when they have to explain to potential employers about how they managed to get said certifications.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cross-dressing is a universal, decades-long tradition in the entertainment industry. You can't single out Korean dramas for logic gaps there, of all places.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008
Probation

Jamesman posted:

Cross-dressing is a universal, decades-long tradition in the entertainment industry. You can't single out Korean dramas for logic gaps there, of all places.

It might just be that things are skewed because I'm on the sixth in about a month because they seem to be the only things that Hulu has been recommending, but it does seem to be a more popular topic in Korea than in Western media. I did find it interesting that only one of them actually showed a negative side to what could happen to a girl pretending to be boy in an all male environment (which because it was a K-Drama she was saved by the love interest of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
A while ago it was nothing but dramas about time travel shenanigans. One drama about a theme becomes popular and everyone else has to hurry up and make a drama about the same theme.

• Locked thread