Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Seriously want to play a brawling wookie in this now. Want to tear my enemies' arms off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Ryuujin posted:

Seriously want to play a brawling wookie in this now. Want to tear my enemies' arms off.

Wookiee Hired Gun (Marauder) is right up your alley. Starts with a high Brawn score and baked-in Brawl points, gains access to a number of passive damage and critical hit buffs and an active ability to take strain damage in exchange for upgrading attacks. top it all off with a dose of Wookiee rage (deal extra damage when hurt) and you're golden.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I'm pretty sure that was what I was looking at when I was browsing the book for ideas, now if only someone would run a PbP of it on the forums here.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I put together a smuggler who is both a crackerjack pilot, but good sneak/thief who is ALSO a cracker jack shot with a pistol.

So basically i dumped like 65% of my EXP into Agility.

When it comes to just about every other skill check he has a flat 2 Ability dice. But it looks awesome to have 2 A 2 P on every skill that matters to me.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
I have a question since I just have the starter boxed set.

Brawl damage keys off brawn, and can be strain or wound. Fine. If I elect to do strain, does it bypass soak? Does it also mean that the wookiee hired gun (brawn 4) is neigh immune to punching damage since his soak is also 4? That makes a kind of sense, I just want to make sure I am reading this right.

Second question is Critical Hits are TOTALLY ABSTRACTED in the basic box, and as far as I can tell it is neigh impossible to get more than one or two unless you are repeatedly shooting an unconscious body. How do they work in the full game?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Soak does not reduce strain damage from any source except for Stun settings on weapons, so punching kind of makes up for its lack of raw damage that way.

Critical hits... I don't know what the basic box tells you about crits, so I'll :words:. You trigger them when you successfully hit and spend a Triumph or a set number of Advantage to trigger the crit. The amount of Advantage required is dictated by the weapon, although there are a few talents and mods that reduce the amount of Advantage required. In our game Mendrian triggers a crit whenever he gets 2 Advantage, so it happens quite a lot for us.

You then roll on the Critical Injuries table and see what horrible thing has happened to the target. As I posted earlier, there are a handful of ways to buff that Critical Injuries roll. Results vary from mild inconvenience such as 1 strain damage, to adding a Setback die to all rolls for the encounter, to "Complete, absolute death."

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Winson_Paine posted:

I have a question since I just have the starter boxed set.

Brawl damage keys off brawn, and can be strain or wound. Fine. If I elect to do strain, does it bypass soak? Does it also mean that the wookiee hired gun (brawn 4) is neigh immune to punching damage since his soak is also 4? That makes a kind of sense, I just want to make sure I am reading this right.

Second question is Critical Hits are TOTALLY ABSTRACTED in the basic box, and as far as I can tell it is neigh impossible to get more than one or two unless you are repeatedly shooting an unconscious body. How do they work in the full game?

From what i read in the beta, Criticals pop up under certain rolls ( when a weapon triggers its critical rating ) or when it has certain tags that ensure criticals ( i think vicious does this ).

For instance:

A light blaster pistol has a Crit Rating of 3. If you had 3 advantages to spend ( or one triumph ) you could spend that to make your attack roll a critical on the chart.

I think a triumph can always be converted to a critical.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I am thinking about trying the four player boxed set crew and two pregenned adventures as a PBP to sort of shake out how to run this on PBP. Would I get any takers from here?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I guess that means not building our own character?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Winson_Paine posted:

I am thinking about trying the four player boxed set crew and two pregenned adventures as a PBP to sort of shake out how to run this on PBP. Would I get any takers from here?

I have still to this day never played in a Play By Post. But i would be interested. It would be good to get my feet wet both in this system and in play by post.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Winson_Paine posted:

If you do that, I'll run a (terrible) MapTool one.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Talkc posted:

From what i read in the beta, Criticals pop up under certain rolls ( when a weapon triggers its critical rating ) or when it has certain tags that ensure criticals ( i think vicious does this ).

For instance:

A light blaster pistol has a Crit Rating of 3. If you had 3 advantages to spend ( or one triumph ) you could spend that to make your attack roll a critical on the chart.

I think a triumph can always be converted to a critical.

This is all correct, except for Vicious, which is a weapon quality that makes critical hits nastier by adding 10 times the Vicious rating to the Critical Injuries roll. A lot of the really nasty melee weapons have Vicious, as do disruptors, flamethrowers, and thermal detonators.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Winson_Paine posted:

I'd love to be in on that. I have the beginners box, but haven't been able to assemble enough people in one place to play.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I'd certainly be interested - I don't have the beginners box, however; while I may pick up the full PDF when that comes out, I can't justify paying lots of money for a game with its own custom materials that I'll probably never play.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.

Winson_Paine posted:

Yes, this.

I am unduly excited for the whole book!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Talkc posted:

I have still to this day never played in a Play By Post. But i would be interested. It would be good to get my feet wet both in this system and in play by post.

DiscipleoftheClaw posted:

Yes, this.

I am unduly excited for the whole book!

jivjov posted:

I'd love to be in on that. I have the beginners box, but haven't been able to assemble enough people in one place to play.

homullus posted:

If you do that, I'll run a (terrible) MapTool one.

OK, I will take you four if you want it. This will more or less be a dry run through the stock Boxed Set adventure and then a followup if it is going well through LONG ARM OF THE HUTT. More or less I want to see if we can hammer out how best to work the whacky dice conventions in a PBP format and how it can be the smoothest. By the time we get done, the full game should be out which will be rad. So who wants what?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Winson_Paine posted:

So who wants what?

Are the premades in the box set in the beta materials too? I dont have the box set at the moment just the Beta. So i would need to find the premades somewhere to look at.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am not picky and am interested in trying out play by post! I am least interested in being a walking carpet and will let others choose first. A timely reminder: there are two more characters on the FFG website, a technician and an explorer.

EDIT: if you don't have the beginner box, choose one from the site! ;)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Winson_Paine posted:

So who wants what?

I'd like Pash the Smuggler please!

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.

Winson_Paine posted:

OK, I will take you four if you want it. This will more or less be a dry run through the stock Boxed Set adventure and then a followup if it is going well through LONG ARM OF THE HUTT. More or less I want to see if we can hammer out how best to work the whacky dice conventions in a PBP format and how it can be the smoothest. By the time we get done, the full game should be out which will be rad. So who wants what?

I'd like Sasha, the explorer off the website.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
I'd like Mathus off the website. He seems way cool.

Gonna tech it up in here people!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think that leaves the droid and the bounty hunter. I'll go with the bounty hunter! (I don't remember her name and don't have the books at work).

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Sold, I will get the PBP up directly. The tech from the website is a good swap for the droid in general, really.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Winson_Paine posted:

Sold, I will get the PBP up directly. The tech from the website is a good swap for the droid in general, really.

Just a heads up, I'm about to head to work, so I won't be able to get a first post in til later tonight.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
drat, if you want a fifth I'd love to try one of the downloadable characters and learn about this game.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I just love the potential in the system too.

Need a monster with whacky powers? Have them operate off of Advantage (offensive powers) or off of the players' Threat (defensive powers). Want to have some kind of side-plot where a Bounty Hunter gradually advances on the players? Mark progress with the amassing of Threat. Better yet, give players a choice to spend Advantage to buy off the arrival of such a Nemesis.

So many great possibilities.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

OK, my cheap dice solution:

This seems like a good plan, and all of this is about $22 bucks from Amazon for more or less all the dice I will ever need for this game?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
One question - how do you plan to tell which dice are which? Some different die types use the same number of sides in this game, after all ;).

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
http://www.warpathgames.com/wholesale/warpath.php?m=detail&p=91575
MSRP $14.95
I can provide them for $8.55 plus shipping.

They are not due out until April though, along with the Corebook, and the GM kit, which seems to just be a screen.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 6, 2013

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

hectorgrey posted:

One question - how do you plan to tell which dice are which? Some different die types use the same number of sides in this game, after all ;).

That is what the multicolored sharpies are for; Difficulty dice are purple sharpie, challenge are red, setback black, etc.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Orokos looks like it can work for Star Wars Edge of the Empire, so you could just use an online dice roller.

EDIT: Edge of the Empire dice are available as XeY, where Y is the first letter of the die type: Ability, Boost, Challenge, Difficulty, Force, Proficiency or Setback. The result value is successes (S and Tr symbols) minus failures (F and D symbols).

Is what Orokos says under Help for Edge of the Empire.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Winson_Paine posted:

OK, my cheap dice solution:

This seems like a good plan, and all of this is about $22 bucks from Amazon for more or less all the dice I will ever need for this game?

This is what I had to do since all the Beta came with was a sticker sheet to put on dice. There's also a dice roller app for your smartphone, that works for the X-Wing minis game too if you're playing that.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

OK guys, test PBP is up. Let's see how this works!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532688

Spork o Doom
May 31, 2011
Quick question, is there an official 'blank' character sheet in PDF form? I see people talking about creating characters but that doesn't seem to be present in the beginner set, I assume its a 'beta' thing?

I'm quite ok with the Pregenned characters in stat terms/mix but I'd quite like to copy them onto blanks for my players to put their own characters to them.

Superhaus
Jun 9, 2003

I'm probably wasting time right now.

Spork o Doom posted:

Quick question, is there an official 'blank' character sheet in PDF form? I see people talking about creating characters but that doesn't seem to be present in the beginner set, I assume its a 'beta' thing?

I'm quite ok with the Pregenned characters in stat terms/mix but I'd quite like to copy them onto blanks for my players to put their own characters to them.

I don't think character creation is available until the core rulebook comes out this spring. For now, there are 4 premades in the beginners' box and two more online.

Rugpisser
Aug 1, 2007

PHONES DOWN...PHONES DOWN IN THE BACK

Spork o Doom posted:

Bunch here

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Another question - it mentions in the box rules that certain weapons "when triggered" do their thing. Say the Brass Knuckles, which are disorient 3. Do I need to DO anything to trigger, or does socking a guy work for triggerin'?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

LumberingTroll posted:

We finished our Spreadsheet magic SW EotE Character sheets
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmC3HKYxUU_fdDdmU25YMjNac0dYX0JzU2ZjY1RiREE

Go to File>Make Copy if you want to use it (you need to be logged in to google)

Species, Career, and Specialization are all drop downs. Characteristics, Derived Stats and Skill ranks need to be entered manually.
Starting skill dice pools and career/spec skills are calculated automatically.

The second tab is for details and RP information, the third tab is for the character to track where they spend XP.

Hope you all like it.

Is the only character sheet I have seen.

EDIT: And yeah the beta book has rules for character creation.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Ryuujin posted:

Is the only character sheet I have seen.

Dude.

This is two posts up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Winson_Paine posted:

Another question - it mentions in the box rules that certain weapons "when triggered" do their thing. Say the Brass Knuckles, which are disorient 3. Do I need to DO anything to trigger, or does socking a guy work for triggerin'?

You have to spend two advantage to trigger stuff like Disorient or Auto-Fire.

Edit: You spend them on a hit, sorry

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 8, 2013

• Locked thread