Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Somebody is gonna get mad paid when they get arrested and thrown in jail for having some herb and then they sue the poo poo outta that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

Radbot posted:

In other news, Colorado localities are starting to take on A64, and surprisingly, it isn't the Springs that has the problem:

Seems to me this is pretty clearly illegal and flies in the face of the Colorado Constitution post A64, particularly the part about making it illegal to transport through the city. That lawyer needs to go back to law school if she thinks cities "own" streets and sidewalks in the same way they own government buildings.

Here's Greenwood Village; http://www.city-data.com/city/Greenwood-Village-Colorado.html
Here's who lives there;

quote:

White alone - 11,795 (84.7%)
Asian alone - 1,000 (7.2%)
Hispanic - 626 (4.5%)
Two or more races - 237 (1.7%)
Black alone - 207 (1.5%)
American Indian alone - 35 (0.3%)
Other race alone - 22 (0.2%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 3 (0.02%)

Here's where they live;

quote:

Estimated median household income in 2009: $107,593 (it was $116,147 in 2000)
Greenwood Village: $107,593
Colorado: $55,430

Estimated median house or condo value in 2009: $710,556 (it was $579,800 in 2000)
Greenwood Village: $710,556
Colorado: $237,800

It's a small, conservative part of Denver with lots of rich white people. I expect them to fight based on exactly the grounds they cite and lose completely. Not unexpected.

NathanScottPhillips

quote:

e: Also I should say that the vast majority of MMJ dispensary sales are being flipped on the black market. People buy a stock with their card and then sell to their friends that don't have a card for a small mark up. Once retail shops open up, there would be no reason to do this so I suspect dedicated MMJ shops will start to dry up.

You don't actually know that because that data isn't available. I know this because the most recent work on dispensaries can't even look at the people that use them, they're still mapping the friggin' things and looking at social disparities in their distribution across Denver county! I talked to one of the guys that does that research who's on Hicks pot board and collecting just exactly that data is what we're going to try to do in the near future. Downtown campus of UCD is pulling in people from several disciplines (including mine) to try to determine whether a dispensary is even a negative for the community.

One possible outcome from the pot board is to suggest that only existing, licensed dispensaries be the source of sale for legal pot. The cities and counties are going to try to go after new dispensaries using zoning (if they want to oppose) but we already have the most equitable distribution of any state with MMJ so we think they'll lose eventually. The dispensaries exist and I think it likely that they will become the same thing as liquor stores in the near future.

[edit]I didn't see this posted yet, here's the Task Force;
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellit...5&ssbinary=true

ChlamydiaJones fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 6, 2013

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

quote:

You don't actually know that because that data isn't available.

Are you suggesting that MMJ patients never divert their medicine?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Delta-Wye posted:

Are you suggesting that MMJ patients never divert their medicine?

I doubt he's suggesting that, the claim was that the vast majority of MMJ was being diverted.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

From an admittedly anecdotal perspective, the animosity of big alcohol towards legal weed has never made sense to me. The vast majority of people I've known in my life who enjoy weed enjoy alcohol too and are happy to imbibe either or both depending on location and social context. No doubt teetotal weed smokers exist but I'm pretty sure they're a small minority.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Torka posted:

From an admittedly anecdotal perspective, the animosity of big alcohol towards legal weed has never made sense to me. The vast majority of people I've known in my life who enjoy weed enjoy alcohol too and are happy to imbibe either or both depending on location and social context. No doubt teetotal weed smokers exist but I'm pretty sure they're a small minority.

It's still different streams that disposable income is going. I imagine a large worry was that marijuana would be sold in grocery stores, which would give them more opportunity to be bought instead of spirits or hard liquors.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Torka posted:

Since growing quality hops and growing quality cannabis seem to dovetail nicely, it would make sense to me that the beer corporations would be best in line to corner the legal weed market, vs the tobacco companies(Tobacco has similar curing requirements, but way different growing requirements)

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Torka posted:

My half-rear end search suggests people, at least young people, DO substitute alcohol with marijuana.

Do Youths Substitute Alcohol and Marijuana?

Many cannabis users substitute booze for pot after age 21

Isn't that even supposed to be a selling point for legalization--people might drink less?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It should be a huge plus - but the alcohol industry has a lot more money to lobby with than the few people that realize that less alcohol consumption is a good thing.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
Distillers and brewers refused to work together to prevent Prohibition since they saw each other as rivals, so no surprise here.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

Please, explain why being "enshrined in law and backed by two branches of government" means a goddamn thing. Prohibition was enshrined in law and backed by the full force of the US Constitution, as an example.

In other news, Colorado localities are starting to take on A64, and surprisingly, it isn't the Springs that has the problem:

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22500645/greenwood-village-ordinance-test-pot-legalization-law#ixzz2JxToJ0Eb

Seems to me this is pretty clearly illegal and flies in the face of the Colorado Constitution post A64, particularly the part about making it illegal to transport through the city. That lawyer needs to go back to law school if she thinks cities "own" streets and sidewalks in the same way they own government buildings.

Just for the record. gently caress Greenwood Village. This is the same city that thinks they own the air above the office buildings. They forced us to put up huge coverings when we moved into this building so that you could not see the hvac on the roof. This is also the same bunch of cocksuckers who charge a "tax" for the privilege of working in the city of Greenwood Village, even if you don't live here.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

veedubfreak posted:

Just for the record. gently caress Greenwood Village. This is the same city that thinks they own the air above the office buildings. They forced us to put up huge coverings when we moved into this building so that you could not see the hvac on the roof. This is also the same bunch of cocksuckers who charge a "tax" for the privilege of working in the city of Greenwood Village, even if you don't live here.

Cities being allowed to claim air rights if they choose to assert them is fairly common. So is charging taxes on commuting employees.

Of course usually you see only actual major cities doing either of those, not a "city" of 15,000 people that has about 10,000 daytime employees within it.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Install Gentoo posted:

Cities being allowed to claim air rights if they choose to assert them is fairly common. So is charging taxes on commuting employees.

Of course usually you see only actual major cities doing either of those, not a "city" of 15,000 people that has about 10,000 daytime employees within it.

All I know about Greenwood Village is that there's a store with super cheap grass fed, local beef there ($5.79/lb for dry aged flap steak? yes, please). Otherwise, literally the entire residential part of the city has huge 10 ft+ brick walls around it, separating it from the massive avenues that criss-cross the "city". It's probably the most alienating and ugly place in metro Denver.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Having lived in Colorado all my life but never living any closer to Denver than Aurora, I had to look up where Greenwood Village actually is (I pretty much just refer to the entire Denver metro area as "Denver")...however, after seeing where it is and recalling my memories of driving through that area, I agree with the poster above me. Good riddance.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Torka posted:

I smoke weed every day but I drink maybe once every couple weeks. There's probably more drinkers + smokers, but I wouldn't say it's a small minority of people who only smoke.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The other thing, unless you're missing work from hang overs or coming to work drunk, is that no employer cares about alcohol while they test for marijuana and will either not hire you or fire you on the spot, even in states with legal marijuana.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

LP97S posted:

The other thing, unless you're missing work from hang overs or coming to work drunk, is that no employer cares about alcohol while they test for marijuana and will either not hire you or fire you on the spot, even in states with legal marijuana.

Businesses in some states can do this with cigarettes. There are literally companies who will not hire smokers. It saves them money on health insurance and promotes healthy living you see! :rolleyes:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Jeffrey posted:

Businesses in some states can do this with cigarettes. There are literally companies who will not hire smokers. It saves them money on health insurance and promotes healthy living you see! :rolleyes:

This is illegal in many states however. There are states where it is illegal to discriminate against smokers, but perfectly legal to discriminate against gay people.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jeffrey posted:

Amscot doesn't hire smokers because employees have to remain in the secure part of the store for their entire shift.

Edit: and it's purely anecdotal, but my drinking goes from by myself, almost nightly, plus social situations, to only occassionally in some social situations like a light switch when I have access to marijuana.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 7, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

eSports Chaebol posted:

This is illegal in many states however. There are states where it is illegal to discriminate against smokers, but perfectly legal to discriminate against gay people.

I'd much rather work near or around a gay dude than a smoker. Gays are less likely to force their ugly children's pictures on me and smell better than a smoker.

The office above us is a federal government office, and we call them the smoking robots. They seriously must have a reminder on their computer that it is time to take their smoke break. You can drat near set your watch by them going outside to smoke. Luckily I work on the first floor and only occassionaly have to take the elevator to the basement when I'm toting around computer equipment to take to another site. Otherwise the elevator stinks to high hell, because they can't make it up the 1 flight of stairs after their smoke.

I had a job offer right out of college at some programming place and they wouldn't hire smokers due to the price of insuring them.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 7, 2013

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Here is a video of a Colorado Recreational Marijuana Law Symposium.

quote:

Clover Leaf Consulting THC DUI Panel Discussion and Recreational Marijuana Law. Members of Colorado task force to Governor and members of Colorado 'Heat is On' campaign for DUI and DUI-D in Colorado. Amendment 64 cannabis legalization Colorado.

Skip to 1:19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nc9HK6RYtE

Starts out with a study that shows states with MMJ laws have about 9% less driving deaths.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
The legal weed market is starting to flourish:
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/02/02/people-finding-way-to-skirt-colorados-marijuana-laws-on-craigslist/

quote:

DENVER (CBS4) – Coloradans can’t legally sell marijuana unless they are licensed by the state, but ads are now showing up on Craigslist that seem to be skirting the law. CBS4 Investigator Rick Sallinger found people are giving the pot away for what some call “free.” The ads claim to be giving away the marijuana, but always with a twist. The ads have people seeking marijuana pay for the delivery, sponsor something, or make a donation. One ad offers free medical marijuana at Bud’s Worm Farm. The ad states that people cannot legally buy the pot at this time, but he will give it away for sponsorship of his red wiggler worms. Sponsor 100 worms and get an 1/8th of an ounce of pot. One man, who asked not to be identified, is a medical marijuana patient who wondered if it’s legal to obtain marijuana through such ads.

“I’d rather just call Craigslist and have them deliver to my door,” he said. “I don’t want it to be a police officer undercover and come and arrest me for solicitation of buying marijuana.”

Another ad offers fresh and cured hash — not for sale, but for a donation of $60 a gram. Sallinger sent the person a text.

“I am interested in donations for hash, how does it work?” Sallinger texted.

The reply was, “I can meet you somewhere.”

Obtaining pot may quickly become a free for all in Colorado.

“Well, then I might start growing marijuana again and start selling it door to door, to be honest with you,” the medical marijuana patient told Sallinger.

A spokesperson for the Department of Revenue told Sallinger the ads he provided didn’t appear to be from current medical marijuana providers and regulations for the sale of recreational pot have not been established yet.

http://denver.craigslist.org/search/sss?zoomToPosting=&altView=&query=amendment+64&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

Offering free bud with donation to art galleries, free bud with purchase of certain amount in head shops, weed clubs who share weed, trading dirtbikes for weed, etc, etc..

Haha this is awesome.

DonnyJepp
Jul 4, 2004

Somebody in Colorado Springs tried that, lasted about a week:

billygoatgreen mmj posted:

police arrested us charged with distribution. we met with a high profile lawyer and he says if we fight it and loose were looking at LIFE in PRISON!!!!! out on bail waiting for court dates. they are using a undercover police boyfriend and girlfriend to trick people on craigslist. DET.Lemkool is the name of the undercover cop. first they say its legal to donate then arrest you and your looking at life in prison. not so sure that sounds fair

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

DonnyJepp posted:

Yeah, that isn't taking off in Washington (at least publicly) for similar reasons right now. Basically if a donation is mandatory, its not really a donation, and that's a law that is established and true of just about everything.

The supreme court has held that there are standards to a donation, and that they will be applied with an nod to intent on a case by case basis. Its pretty clear the intent on craigslist is to sell weed before the weed sale system is in place, so its not really a donation.

Now if you genuinely gave your friend Joe 200 bucks out of the goodness of your heart so he can make rent, and later that month he comes by with an oz for you to say thank you, that's perfectly fine, assuming you are both over 21 (in WA at least). If your friend Joe is mandating you give him the money beforehand though, its a sale and is illegal.

Edit: that said, the person quoted above might have a case for entrapment, IF and ONLY IF the police officer legitimately said "yeah this is legal."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DonnyJepp posted:

Who would guess that MMJ people are out to spread rumors about people getting arrested for sell weed without a card.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

DonnyJepp posted:

Do you have more info on that particular case? There's been a few people shut down of course, but you can't catch them all.

Also taking "donations" is pretty retarded and obviously illegal but it is totally legal to throw in free buds with a pipe purchase or to charge admission for a smoking club or trade bud for other items. I'm gonna try to get a few free grams at that headshop methinks.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Also taking "donations" is pretty retarded and obviously illegal but it is totally legal to throw in free buds with a pipe purchase or to charge admission for a smoking club or trade bud for other items. I'm gonna try to get a few free grams at that headshop methinks.

Be careful, its yes to the first two, but the third one is shaky ground. Depending on the nature/frequency of the trade it could be perceived as a sale and treated as such.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Red_Mage posted:

Edit: that said, the person quoted above might have a case for entrapment, IF and ONLY IF the police officer legitimately said "yeah this is legal."

Is that true? I thought cops were legally allowed to lie all they wanted without risking tainting evidence or anything, at least in the sense of "yeah, you have to let us search that" and things like that.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Red_Mage posted:

Be careful, its yes to the first two, but the third one is shaky ground. Depending on the nature/frequency of the trade it could be perceived as a sale and treated as such.
For sure. I want to buy a car or TV or something with weed I grew myself. That would be awesome.

e: lol I was just thinking about handing over the bill of sale to the county registration lady. "Sale Price: 5 ounces of Golden Goat"

NathanScottPhillips fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 12, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is that true? I thought cops were legally allowed to lie all they wanted without risking tainting evidence or anything, at least in the sense of "yeah, you have to let us search that" and things like that.

They are allowed to lie in the course of doing their duty, but if an officer explicitly tells you something is legal, then arrests you for it, they have committed entrapment. Have a helpful guide from a former prosecutor in New York.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Is there anything saying it's illegal to trade for weed?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfF8OSlGhKk

Yeah, it's a clip from Breaking Bad, but well.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

FetusSlapper posted:

Since growing quality hops and growing quality cannabis seem to dovetail nicely, it would make sense to me that the beer corporations would be best in line to corner the legal weed market, vs the tobacco companies(Tobacco has similar curing requirements, but way different growing requirements)

Despite being closely related, they're cultivated substantially differently.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Red_Mage posted:

They are allowed to lie in the course of doing their duty, but if an officer explicitly tells you something is legal, then arrests you for it, they have committed entrapment. Have a helpful guide from a former prosecutor in New York.

Someone once told me never trust a cop. Wonder why.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

dalstrs posted:

Is there anything saying it's illegal to trade for weed?

Just the normal laws governing the financial implications of trades. Nothing says a sale has to be in USD, you can sell things for bitcoins or diamonds or what have you. In common parlance that's a trade but I'm pretty sure legally it's just a pair of cash-equivalent sales.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Just the normal laws governing the financial implications of trades. Nothing says a sale has to be in USD, you can sell things for bitcoins or diamonds or what have you. In common parlance that's a trade but I'm pretty sure legally it's just a pair of cash-equivalent sales.

Yeah, basically no one is going to give a poo poo once weed starts being properly sold in WA/CO, it'll be more or less like alcohol, where if someone says "hey I'll swap you a bottle of Jim Beam for a gram" (and you are both over 21) no one will give a poo poo. However if you are running some sort of large scale "come and trade me poo poo for this alcohol/weed, TAX FREE" ad campaign on craigslist, you are going to get nailed because you are pretty obviously just using trading to get around the exchange of money.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Red_Mage posted:

This is probably the first mention of entrapment on SA that has ever been correct.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Crackpipe posted:

This is probably the first mention of entrapment on SA that has ever been correct.

Sounds like you should lurk some more in D&D, there have been extensive conversations on the topic involving lawyers, paralegals, and LEOs.

DonnyJepp
Jul 4, 2004

Dusseldorf posted:

Who would guess that MMJ people are out to spread rumors about people getting arrested for sell weed without a card.

"rumors" eh?

http://www.csindy.com/IndyBlog/archives/2013/02/12/marijuana-local-delivery-company-raided-by-police

dumbasses posted posted:

"Because of my past record im looking at a plea deal of 10 to 24 years or take it to trial and risk 25 to LIFE bro even though the last charge I had was 8 years ago. ... Life in prison for a marijuana charge. If I ever knew my family was in danger I would never chosen this path. I truly believe I didn't break the law and certainly not anything that could cost me life in prison."

Welcome to Colorado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I mean, you gotta seriously be a loving idiot to think that the whole "hurr just make a donation :downs:" thing isn't illegal. It sucks those guys are going to be in jail for a long time but seriously, just wait until the stores open up.

• Locked thread